SS0, control method explination, interesting??

Baseley09

Hair Group,
There is some more stuff <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/neo/action/samuraispiritszero/news_6072391.html" target="_blank">here</a> , but this is the intersting gumph :

Additional details on SNK Playmore's new 2D fighting game, Samurai Spirits Zero, have been revealed. The series is known as Samurai Shodown in North America. While the basic available actions are mostly intact, the controls and game system in Samurai Spirits Zero are significantly different from those found in the previous games in the series. The A and B buttons are used for weak and middle-strength slashes, and the fierce-strength slash is triggered when the two buttons are pressed together. The C button is used for kicking, and when combined with a joystick press in the direction of an opponent, it executes a guard crush throw. The D button is used for a number of purposes. Pressed alone, it executes a new action called meditation. Pressed together with a joystick direction, it executes a short jump, a ground roll, or a crouching position. The traditional anger system is still present in the game, but the system has been further developed with the meditation system. In the meditation system, characters can meditate and turn the anger stock into spiritual stock, which will allow the character to go into enlightenment mode. During the enlightenment mode, the game will run in slow motion. There is also a new sword power system in the game, in which the strength of slash attacks changes depending on the amount of sword power remaining. Each slash depletes a player's sword power, but the sword power gradually recovers as time passes by.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
This sounds cool, it helps add depth to the system. This will help keep the engine/gameplay fresh. The game does look great and with these additions, I will be preordering this game.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
True, the "ambiguous" D button sounds interexsting.

at least they tried something new. :cool:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
This does sound like a step in a good direction. If they have the damage scale they do in SS64 II (arm hit low damage, head hit high damage) then this game sounds like it could be a winner. I'm not sure how much I like the fact that your sword power regains, though. I'm bitter that way :D

Oh, and there better be some heavy music, such as a chorus, while playing in enlightenment. This better not come off as some max payne or matrix spoof.

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So, when time slows down, does the person who was 'meditated' get an advantage? It never explains quite how that works. Anyone here know?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Well they are shooting towards Zen Buddhism here. I personally wish the layout would have been exactly like 3. Rushing fierce hits beeing FF+b, and fierce slash being c.
I didnt like the rush switch in IV.

John

Ghost of Captain Kidd
If nothing else, the "sword power" thing seems to be fairly realistic, like the stamina meter in a boxing game. Does anybody remember the guard meter from the original Soul Edge, where if you kept blocking, you'd lose your sword? That was sort of cool.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
Well they are shooting towards Zen Buddhism here. I personally wish the layout would have been exactly like 3. Rushing fierce hits beeing FF+b, and fierce slash being c.
I didnt like the rush switch in IV.
I like that the gameplay mechanics read to be taking a whole new direction..
This type of play system may open up the doors for a sequel and finally some redrawn edgey sprites.
Yes, SamSho III was heading in the proper dircetion,4 drifted away from the original concept... 0 reads like it will have Arcade longevity.
-BB