Oh yeah, got to play SNK Vs. Capcom!

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
The Taito Power Station got it after all on the first day. This game is hot, sizzle! I haven't seen Goenitz yet so I'm guessing he's a mid boss that shows up when the default character selected is the Capcom side. I chose SNK mostly and they are pretty much hybrids of some of their old with some of their new. I played Mai, Chun-Li, Kyo, Iori, Mr. Karate, Kasumi, Ryu [by accident :p ]. Mr. Karate is pretty kick ass, he's like the compliment of Gouki, his flying kick juggles your opponent so you can follow up with his upper cut or his zanretsuken. As mentioned in previous reports, Terry has his Mark of the Wolves Buster Wolf DM, it's really wicked cool to see the move, and it comes out incredibly fast just like Kyo's DM. Kyo has his new Mushiki, Iori has that dunk motion DM. Kasumi looks to be very viable but being the scrub that I am, poor distance judgement forces me to scrub the floor.

TriShield

Host for Orochi
:cool:

How good are the graphics, did everything animate smoothly, did the sprites appear uniform?

How tight is the gameplay, would it be easy for a KOF player to pick this game up and start kicking butt right away, or is it a bit different?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
With the exception of Obsolete Station looking a little bit dry and depressing, most backgrounds looked positively kick ass. Hugo looks very much like his Street Fighter three counterpart, and all characters are animated very nicely. I'm no authority on animation frames though, opinions may differ. The thing that sucked about the cab I was playing at though was the configuration of the cab, it used to house Capcom jamma games so that meant the CD buttons were below the AB buttons, so most of the night I just challenged whoever was playing in the first cab so that I can have the four button configuration on the challenger side to myself. I like the fact that the game isn't a juggle heavy one, so put a bit of thinking into the game, figure out your characters and you slowly piece together combos, like King of Fighters. It definitely looks like the Front Step system is the new key to reaction like Emergency Escapes for King of Fighters, I'll try to take some pictures on monday when I get to the arcade again, I hope there will be some higher level players there. Saw someone playing with Guile, and he is a beast. His charge moves don't seem complicated to pull off at all.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
so how are things game-wise in japan? good prices for n64 or neo-pocket software? or saturn?

I played this game at the american testing but didn't get to enjoy it because I was geting whooped. But I used tessa and chun-li. They are both deamons. escpecially tessa

Freelancer

Banned
Damn it! There isn't a single arcade in my area that has it!

Oh well, I'm glad to hear others are getting the chance to enjoy it and I appreciate the short reviews. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer until the real MVS cart hits. frown

TriShield

Host for Orochi
Freelancer:
There probably isn't a single arcade in my state that has it, or will ever have it.

frown

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
TriShield:
Freelancer:
There probably isn't a single arcade in my state that has it, or will ever have it.

:(
i feel ya man, theres only 1 4-slot in the area, and its full of baseball and golf.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Just got to play it today too.

This morning I walked to an arcade about 30min from my house, and low and behold, they had two cabs set up head to head.

There was only one guy playing it! I couldn't believe it. I somehow expected a group of ten people or so hovering around six or eight cabs, but there was just the one guy.

He was fat too, and he looked badass, so it was with much hesitancy that I sat down across from him and plunked in my 50 yen (only 50 yen too! Usually new games are 100).

I wanted to see how one of the Capcom sprites looked and played on an MVS, so I picked Ryu. He was already using Kyo. He smoked me in under 60 sec. He just kept doing the same combo over and over and over. I suck at combos (and apparently at competitive play as well) so it was just a brutal beating. So next I picked Genjurou. I did better with Genjurou, and I even managed to get off a couple of specials, but in the end I was over-combo'ed.

This other otaku looking guy is watching me the whole time I play (and probably laughing to himself). After my Genjurou dies I gave the stool up to the otaku. He picked Iori. So now it was Fat Guy Kyo versus Otaku Boy Iori.

NOT A MATCH! STRUGGLE!

Otaku Boy Iori cleaned up the floor with the unconscious form of Fat Guy Kyo, who then left in disgust. Otaku Boy Iori left soon after AI Mr.Karate kicked his ass. These guys must have been poor or something to leave so soon, cause I had about 1000 yen worth of 50 yen coins and I was planning on playing those cabs for awhile, winning or losing.

So Otaku Boy left, and it was only me! At the two cabs! Heaven. I started up again with Genjurou, and kept playing him until another Otaku Boy finally came up, picked Genjurou, and kicked my ass. I left at that point, but I had managed to get in a good twenty minutes or so by myself...

1)GENJUROU'S STRONG SLASH TAKES UP HALF THE SCREEN, A LITTLE SLOW, BUT GREAT REACH

2)HIS SPRITE LOOKS LIKE IT'S ALMOST 95% HIS SS3/4 VERSION

3)EARTHQUAKE IS 100% REDRAWN AND BIGGER

4)DHALISIM LOOKS AWESOME, VERY COOL WIGGLY-ARM ANIMATION

5)GOENITZ IS ONLY SLIGHTLY LESS DIFFICULT THAN HIS KOF96 VERSION, I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL TO PLAY AGAINST HIM

6)THE BACKGROUNDS LOOK LIKE THEY WERE DESIGNED BY THE PEOPLE WHO DID KOF01, THE COLOUR SCHEMES ARE VERY SIMILAR

7)ONCE YOU SIT DOWN TO PLAY, IT'S A VERY USER FRIENDLY ROSTER, I CAN SEE WHY THEY MADE THE CHOICES THEY DID

NOT A MATCH! STRUGGLE!

takuman

, ,
pics ss0 here
<a href="http://www.phuck-ign.com/" target="_blank">http://www.phuck-ign.com/</a>

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
woah takuman you are working that link arent you lol..... :D

nice impressions tsuka! (sorta makes up for ss0 right..?)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Its strange how you get challenged and stuff, that wouldn't happen at all in the UK.. for some reason.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
kernow:
Its strange how you get challenged and stuff, that wouldn't happen at all in the UK.. for some reason.
YEah if i was playing on it trying to get through, and some guy walked up dropped a coin in with out saying a word and kicked my ass i would be so pissed off!!

I guess its our english manners!

"excuse me sir"

"yes"

"i see you are trying to complete the single player mode, but would you care for a 2 player slugfest?"

"why certainly good sir! step up and prepare to be beaten like a man!"

See now this is the english way!!.....either that or they just hovver round your shoulder or give you loads of crap advice as if they know all!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
at this point in time except for the small suburban arcades at quiet hours it is impossible to get time on the machine without getting challenged.. lucky i like challenging :)

sept for that one guy with iori, he only chooses iori and plays a real safe and plain way... he infuriates me... winning by hair in the third round all the time... the only character ive managed to beat him with consistently is earthquake since i found a real cheezy way to play with him frown

Baseley09

Hair Group,
kernow:
Yeah perhaps not these days, but in the SF2 days, i would get my ass handed to me by the Chinese, they are rude fukkers.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So... beelze, tsuka and others have provided a lot of infos about SvCC, but...

Well, what is Playmore's intention with SvCC? Showing Neo players how Capcom charas are like on their fave hardware? Presenting a pretty fighter with SNK and CAP charas fighting it out based on a modified KoF-engine?

What I want to know is: Are there any original engine features as well or is it some kind of best-of with well known stuff like rolling, short jumps, super jumps, (S)DMs, safe falls/recovery moves, etc? Any Capcom-ish ism-style features?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
i got to play this yesterday, there were a minimum of 10 people crowded around the machine at all times, so i saw no single player anything. the animation on the new characters is good, but the color pallets in the game seem washed out.

you can cancel a super into another super which makes big combos. the dash cancel makes for easy combo set ups, so be ready for big punishment for a small mistake, or no mistake at all. this game was definately designed for expert level play.

if your a KOF fan, you should pick up on this game rather quickly, if you perfer street fighter (or at least play street fighter) you might have some trouble getting used to it.

sagat actually generated laughter at the arcade i was at. watch his standing lk hahahahaha

tsukaesugi

beelzebubble:

Yeah, my impressions are a little late now, though (sigh).

I'm going to the Tokyo SS零 loke test come hell or highwater (if there is one), that's one game that I can report on with confidence.

BTW bb, great job on the Osaka SS零 report. You're like the N-G.com version of Arcadia!

tsukaesugi

kernow:
Like beelzebubble said in another post, it's pretty normal behavior in Japan. The arcades are often crowded and there's not enough cabs to go round, so if you want to play, you have to put up with the occasional challenge.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi:
kernow:
Like beelzebubble said in another post, it's pretty normal behavior in Japan. The arcades are often crowded and there's not enough cabs to go round, so if you want to play, you have to put up with the occasional challenge.
I'd quite enjoy that I think.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
NeoDragoN:
kernow:
YEah if i was playing on it trying to get through, and some guy walked up dropped a coin in with out saying a word and kicked my ass i would be so pissed off!!

I guess its our english manners!

"excuse me sir"

"yes"

"i see you are trying to complete the single player mode, but would you care for a 2 player slugfest?"

"why certainly good sir! step up and prepare to be beaten like a man!"

See now this is the english way!!.....either that or they just hovver round your shoulder or give you loads of crap advice as if they know all!
That will NEVER happen in Japan. Sometimes I can't even take on the first CPU opponent without having that happen to me.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
tsukaesugi:
beelzebubble:

Yeah, my impressions are a little late now, though (sigh).

I'm going to the Tokyo SS零 loke test come hell or highwater (if there is one), that's one game that I can report on with confidence.

BTW bb, great job on the Osaka SS零 report. You're like the N-G.com version of Arcadia!
If you find out when the Shibuya SS0 test is, let me know. I'll be there when you are.

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I just played the game today in NYC Chinatown...

In truth, I was very dissapointed with most of it.

While I knew the sprites were rehashed from KOF...I didn't think the KOF characters would be quite so bad looking on the big screen.

The Capcom characters looked pretty well drawn, but most of the animation (except Dhalsim) seemed choppy for a brand new game.

Stages looked OK, with one or two really nice ones...but colors on the backgrounds looked pretty plain and washed out.

Character selection, you either love it or hate it. Shiki's sprite did impress me, and I plan on learning her with time. I'm wondering why Playmore decided to use Kim's old sprite instead of the new one from kof 2k2.

For my *early* opinion...I wasn't impressed with the gameplay at all. The game seemed to run slow, and I saw some really old school patterns working with Dhalsim (he was dominating the game as of this time.)

Moves did come out as intended with no problems, and combos connected well...however, Chinatown had an INCREDIBLY awkward button setup however which kept me from enjoying the game as intended.

The arcade was loud, so I couldnt really hear the music or sound effects very well..so I won't comment on them.

The special Effects on moves where non-existant or BAD from the characters that I did see which were...Dhalsim, Chun Li, M. Bison, Vega, Sagat, Mai, Terry, Kyo, Mr. Karate, Shiki, Kim, and Ken. Honestly, there was little to no flash with the moves.

For now... Capcom vs SNK 2 DESTROYS this game in graphics, characters, options, and gameplay. Most people at the arcade were happy to see the game there at first, but not too impressed either.

For those planning to get this for MVS...I would advise you to wait and play it before putting down the cash for this...definitely wait until the price goes down.

Now, I REALLY WANT to like this game, so I plan to give it a couple more chances... but on first impressions.... this is how I felt.

I'll post more as I get to play more.

tsukaesugi

Orochi_Flava:
For now... Capcom vs SNK 2 DESTROYS this game in graphics, characters, options, and gameplay. Most people at the arcade were happy to see the game there at first, but not too impressed either.
In terms of graphics, bg's, and sprites, yeah. Still it's really cool to see Capcom charas in an MVS game.

I agree the bg's were really washed out and flat like KOF01. Mr.Karate's was really cool though, the stage is lit by campfire light, and the edge of the characters actually glow like the campfire is reflecting off them while you play. I really liked that.

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
tsukaesugi:
Orochi_Flava:
In terms of graphics, bg's, and sprites, yeah. Still it's really cool to see Capcom charas in an MVS game.

I agree the bg's were really washed out and flat like KOF01. Mr.Karate's was really cool though, the stage is lit by campfire light, and the edge of the characters actually glow like the campfire is reflecting off them while you play. I really liked that.
You make a good point. The fact that it's Capcom characters on the MVS is cool. I just wish it was more like the Pocket version...I truly love that game (matter of fact, I played it on the way over.)