midbosses unplayable ????????

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
edit: this info is from the snkplaymore website update thur 24th..

アーケードゲーム SVC CHAOS更新! CPU専用キャラクター追加!
which means cpu controlled only....

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

i hope this is just a make us sweat marketing technique..... frown

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: beelzebubble ]</small>

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I have a feeling it'll be a code, which would probably also mean the characters would be banned from tournament use, unless they're not broken.

Anywho, has any Neo fighter in the arcade ever have a time release system?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Amix:
I have a feeling it'll be a code, which would probably also mean the characters would be banned from tournament use, unless they're not broken.

The only Neo Geo game with time release is Blazing Star. Supposedly. I don't fully believe it, but the Yamazaki sisters were supposed to be time release ships. On the home version, you see them as default characters.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
EvilWasabi:
Amix:

The only Neo Geo game with time release is Blazing Star. Supposedly. I don't fully believe it, but the Yamazaki sisters were supposed to be time release ships. On the home version, you see them as default characters.
Hmmm, no kidding. spock I have Blazing Star for my cab, and I did not know that. Where did you hear that anyway?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Amix:
EvilWasabi:
Amix:

Hmmm, no kidding. spock I have Blazing Star for my cab, and I did not know that. Where did you hear that anyway?
I don't remember the source, but I think it was on these boards from a well respected member. Unfortuneately, I might have been dreaming all this... Which would really be pathetic.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
EvilWasabi:
Amix:
EvilWasabi:
Amix:

I don't remember the source, but I think it was on these boards from a well respected member. Unfortuneately, I might have been dreaming all this... Which would really be pathetic.
No big deal, I was just curious. Anywho, I need to find a Chaos cab in New England. I also need a bagel.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I oculd use an egg mcmuffin and a hash brown. I'm sweatin' for this game. Chances are, dip 1-6 will unlock the CPU characters, if they aren't auto unlocked on the home version by default, a la KoF 99.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
If not playalble normally. Maybe the dip codes will give you access to them.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Just a question to throw out: If the characters can be unlocked via a switch, would you want your arcade to turn them on? Of course, the first response would be, "Yes, why not you moron?" - but if the characters are abusable, I can just imagine the frustration of dealing with a punk that has a massive win streak going with Geonitz. Plus, if they are broken, you wouldn't even be able to use them in a tournament, making learning them moot.

I don't know, I suppose a code would work out best, because if they were initially at the select screen, we'd probably see a lot of people whoring the broken characters.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Something tells me that they'd more than likely be available when put into the homecart mode.

At least I hope so, I don't have much experience with enabling characters via the soft DIP, but I'm assuming that using characters that are only available in that way would be pretty unfair as they'd be unbalanced/too cheap/broken, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this please.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
JHendrix:
Something tells me that they'd more than likely be available when put into the homecart mode.

At least I hope so, I don't have much experience with enabling characters via the soft DIP, but I'm assuming that using characters that are only available in that way would be pretty unfair as they'd be unbalanced/too cheap/broken, etc.

It already sounds like playing as Kyo against EarthQuake is an unfair advantage. There's obviously a tier system such that the game isn't balanced by default, so I don't know if locking out bosses for tournements is as "fair" as one would want to believe.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
I don't know, I suppose a code would work out best, because if they were initially at the select screen, we'd probably see a lot of people whoring the broken characters.
dan and geese would be ok i think... demitri prolly not too bad either..

goenitz on the other hand :(

would be like hyper sogetsu or something with those little cyclones....

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: beelzebubble ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
beelzebubble:
dan and geese would be ok i think... demitri prolly not too bad either..

goenitz on the other hand :(

would be like hyper sogetsu or something with those little cyclones....
Speaking of Sougetsu, at full pow, his geyser ticks off over 10 pixels from the life bar in block damage. Back in KoF '96, Goenitz didn't tick that much off using his cyclone move, and the duration was short. Is that still the case, or can his cyclones linger longer?

eight one

Igniz's Servent
EvilWasabi:
It already sounds like playing as Kyo against EarthQuake is an unfair advantage. There's obviously a tier system such that the game isn't balanced by default, so I don't know if locking out bosses for tournements is as "fair" as one would want to believe.
you forgot about those (fucking) Iori players. :confused:

JHendrix

EvilWasabi:
JHendrix:

What makes you say that? The Kyo vs. Earthquake thing I mean.

I'm actually not so worried about it being unbalanced per-se, but the fact that the characters might be well "broken" so to speak.

Still I like to fight relatively fair, I still haven't learned to use Orochi Yashiro/Shermie/Chris in 98 or 2k2 very well for the sheer fact that they can break the game. That's just me though.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
What makes you say that? The Kyo vs. Earthquake thing I mean.
i assume ew was referring to my other post about the games i played today... ??

i got earthquake down pretty good, his moves are easy to figure out (application wise) as is their recovery (near perfect or bad). even so i couldnt do anything but block constant rush downs by ryo, terry, iori, kyo etc in the corner.

the only possible options are step cancel which would only get you out of the corner becoz if the opponent is in the air or right in front of you when you cancel you end up quite a but behind them with no real opening to attack. his lights arent fast enough to get in between kyou's j.HP->c.HP->qcf+kx2->(not combo)c.HP so basically he can keep doing that. if you drop from the sky at that range you will get comboed. the kick chain super works but you need a stock. earthquakes dp takes to long to start up for you to pull it out under pressure in the corner as does his fart ball...

edit : forgot you can also c+d counter but that again takes stocks so it is an uphill battle for earthquake against a great many characters it would seem...

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: beelzebubble ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
beelzebubble:
Yes. That's what I was referencing from.

I don't see how the orochi characters are "broken" in KoF 98 or 2002 (I can see how Chris is super cheap in 97, but toned down in 98). When you play against people who use the most powerful characters, the only real complaint is that your favorite characters might not stand a chance. Yes, O. Chris is strong, but hardly unstoppable. I mean, you can imagine beating a great O. team player using Terry, I would hope, considering how good Terry was in 98.

Imagine a SSIV tournement where Shura Sogetsu and Rasetsu Galford are banned because someone loves to play as Gaira.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It wouldn't make sense with the limited playable characters on board... They would have surely put in a code to play as them... hmmm, well, if they didn't, I am sure Razoola could figure it out for a rev of the uni-bios, still, should be there!

-Nick

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
EvilWasabi:
Imagine a SSIV tournement where Shura Sogetsu and Rasetsu Galford are banned because someone loves to play as Gaira.
OT: gaira can handle galford fine, it's sogetsu and tam tam that give him real problems. other than those two, he doesn't have that many bad matchups.

i'm thinking there's a code to unlock the mini-bosses as well. if not we'll just ask razoola very nicely to make an update to the uni-bios to inlucde them in the cheat menu buttrock

hah beat me to the punch lol

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: kafuin_gaira ]</small>

JHendrix

EvilWasabi:
beelzebubble:
Yes. That's what I was referencing from.

I don't see how the orochi characters are "broken" in KoF 98 or 2002 (I can see how Chris is super cheap in 97, but toned down in 98). When you play against people who use the most powerful characters, the only real complaint is that your favorite characters might not stand a chance. Yes, O. Chris is strong, but hardly unstoppable. I mean, you can imagine beating a great O. team player using Terry, I would hope, considering how good Terry was in 98.

I should have clarified, I don't consider the Orochi Team broken, but just a wee bit too overbearing. And yes you can be abusive, although in 98 you could be almost as abusive with Terry. :D

As for the Earthquake/Kyo thing, I guess I should go read BB's posts, I only saw this topic when I logged in this morning. :D

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I wouldn't doubt that the mid bosses aren't arcade playable but at home they probably will be. It's like in CVS2 Evil Ryu and Orochi Iori were not arcade available. Though i would love to use Goenitz I don't mind too much because if they were selectable they'd probably be unfair. Hopefully when the home ver. comes out all the bosses will be unlockable through some action.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
In 97 I never saw the orochis to be so powerful. And in 98 Terry isn't that strong, he was the last good terry but he was ok. Abusive in 98 I would say Brian, Goro, and Vice.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
JHendrix:
I don't consider the Orochi Team broken, but just a wee bit too overbearing.
In '98, I can see that. In 2K2, they are playable. Regular Chris and Yashiro are better than their Orochi versions, and Billy Kane/Yuri/Athena/Leona/Choi are better than any version of any New Face team member.

beelzebubble:
i hope this is just a make us sweat marketing technique..... :(
SNK's regular procedure for instruction manuals and online info for fighting games is to hold back on info for characters that are unplayable at release. For instance, there was no info for the ROTD characters on the Matrimelee site. Kusanagi in 2K2 was an exception I suppose.

(Aside... my US '98 instruction manual is apparently one of the ones where workers at SNK penned the extra characters and moves into the movelist before it was shipped.)

Overall point... there's too much work put into the 4 midbosses for them not to be playable and balanced / potential tournament characters. On the other hand, the 4 Shin characters are hacks of existing characters, so I can see them being unselectable and/or broken.

<small>[ July 24, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: neojedi ]</small>