Its all about distribution ... (Arcade's convertor)

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Well, seems that now VGD (videogamedepot.com) and also Shawn will be stocking the convertors. Needless to say, they seem to be a quality product, even though I have not personally tested one.

Its too bad about the price though.. no competive pricing from anyone. Arcade is probably waiting to break even on what he spent before the profit begins, but I know that if someone offered me a lower price, I would probably take the bite right now. Say those eBay auctions. Make a couple "no reserve" auctions.. that would make things more interesting, but since the reserve is always $399.. whats the point? Just my thoughts.. I was hoping for some incentive somewhere.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by outsider:
Well, seems that now VGD (videogamedepot.com) and also Shawn will be stocking the convertors. Needless to say, they seem to be a quality product, even though I have not personally tested one.

Its too bad about the price though.. no competive pricing from anyone. Arcade is probably waiting to break even on what he spent before the profit begins, but I know that if someone offered me a lower price, I would probably take the bite right now. Say those eBay auctions. Make a couple "no reserve" auctions.. that would make things more interesting, but since the reserve is always $399.. whats the point? Just my thoughts.. I was hoping for some incentive somewhere.

Here's your incentive for spending $399 on an !Arcade! convertor: cheaply priced MVS
games. If you don't mind owning MVS cartridges without the inserts and cases, you can't go wrong. The convertor will pay for itself -- that much can be said immediately. You can purchase games (which are normally expensive in home cart format) at insanely low prices. Try SS4 for under $100, Shook Troopers 2 for about $90, etc. You can also play unreleased MVS titles like Breakers Revenge instead of spending your money on a 'freak' conversion (which would cost $1,000 or more). I think you should go for it, Outsider. You'll also get superb stereo sound that was once only attainable through a special Neo mod. It is worth the investment, bar none!

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 28, 2001).]

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I have a US system with no MOD...with the arcade converter will I get an MVS DIP SWITCH settings screen? Thank You.

------------------
ukyo.gif
"Tsubame Rokuren!" - Tachibana Ukyo

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
NEOLORD and OUTSIDER,
Jst alittle though about that converter, its a awesome deal however now im a bit concerned. You said it right NEOLORD that the converter will pay for itself, but the bad thing is once that becomes more popular everyone will jump on the band wagon and you know whats comming next.........the prices for NEO MVS games maybe cheap now. But when that converter is popular the prices for MVS will sky rocket both on NEO DEAL sites and EBAY because now everyone is jumping on the MVS games and buying.
Im am a fan of NEO GEO no matter if i play MVS or AES so i may even though i dont have the converter start buying my MVS games early before i get the converter. I really hope that the prices will remain the same for awhile to come for every NEO GEO fans best interest otherwise it will make buying anmd playing the NEO games not fun at all as it is with the cost of AES NEO games. Which i think is somewhat ludicrous the prices being asked for these games. But anyway just thought i'd share my friendly input and hope to here yours and anyone elses inputs on the converter.....Thanks

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Breach,
Some other board memebers brought up similar concerns as yours... and although I do understand what you are saying, the higher production run of the MVS carts, and the complete non-collectibility of them (no fancy inserts, no nice stickers... ugly carts) may drive the home collectors to still seek out the home carts and leave the MVS to sit on eBay. I think that there are a number of us, myself included, with means to play the MVS games already, 50 more people are not going to rock the boat since most arcades do not even have a Neo Geo anymore. There are a ton of MVS carts in cirulation, just look at eBay. Also, as I mentioned before, what this will do is take away the idea of converting, or atleast lessin it. See Home users are buying MVS carts now, and turning then into Home carts. Well, if everyone can play the MVS games, then they stay MVS games and are sold as MVS games... see what I am trying to say, it may actually help this market instead of hurt it. Well, only time will tell, and maybe prices will skyrocket, but I don't think we are goign to see a big change.

-Nick

S

Silent_Scope

Here is my opinion:
Arcade did a splendid job for Neo community. This is true and no objection or second thought. I spent $300 on Home cart and because I'm willing to . I know it's expensive but I'm willing to sacrifice my other expense for just one "videogame" cart instead of TV, VCR, clothes, eating out....etc. But for odd reason, it's hard for me to buy a convertor or accessories for my videogame system. I know it doesn't make sense but it's really hard for me. $30 for memory card? $69 for a Neo pad or joystick? It took me a while to get those accessories into my collection. $399 is not that bad for a convertor but right now I just can't make up my mind. Maybe a little bit later like I get my income tax return or something like that.
Just about myself......just me, no one else.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Originally posted by Silent_Scope:
Here is my opinion:
Arcade did a splendid job for Neo community. This is true and no objection or second thought. I spent $300 on Home cart and because I'm willing to . I know it's expensive but I'm willing to sacrifice my other expense for just one "videogame" cart instead of TV, VCR, clothes, eating out....etc. But for odd reason, it's hard for me to buy a convertor or accessories for my videogame system. I know it doesn't make sense but it's really hard for me. $30 for memory card? $69 for a Neo pad or joystick? It took me a while to get those accessories into my collection. $399 is not that bad for a convertor but right now I just can't make up my mind. Maybe a little bit later like I get my income tax return or something like that.
Just about myself......just me, no one else.

Yeah I know what you mean. :/

About the MVS, true they might go up in price, but not by that much. And I do know about the ++'s of the convertor, but that HGA/Supergun is still also tempting, since its basically the same price.

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I agree with Silent_Scope. It's easy for me to go and spend $300+ for a cart, but when it comes to buying accessories like memory cards or controllers I have a hard time parting with the money.

That is why I probably won't get an Arcade convertor, at least not untill it drops in price. When I think of the carts that I could buy for that $399, it really turns me off to buying an MVS converter.

Ryan

dragynchylde

Cheng's Errand Boy
I can justify an mvs converter in two words. Metal slug! If I can get the metal slug series on mvs then I can save hundreds of dollars that I can spend on other games. Besides if you need an instruction booklet to play ms then you need serious help.

------------------

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Breach444, you are correct in the assumption that the MVS market will change. This convertor will revive the MVS market, but pricing will change based on
demand. MVS cartridge prices may become more expensive in the future (I see this happening with newer releases especially), but you'd be smart to collect your MVS titles now. I don't mind spending $300+ for a Neo home cartridge, but there are some titles that are more easily attainable in MVS format (i.e. Ninja Masters) and cheaper too. Neo gaming is an expensive hobby, Breach444, and this convertor was created to make it cheaper for people to own Neo-Geo games. You do
sacrifice the insert and fancy snap case, but if playing the game means more to you than collecting it, then you can't go wrong. The opinions expressed in this thread
are all valid: some people can easily part with their money to buy the latest release from SNK, but they can't justify the cost of an expensive peripheral. In all
honesty, a Neo-Geo home game cartridge would be worth more to a collector than a convertor years later, and I can understand why some would rather do without.

Outsider: the HGA's price is very attractive, but once you purchase an MVS board ($250+) and the actual HGA system ($400), you're talking $650+ (which is more than the actual convertor).

You could save yourself some money by having your Neo cart system modded by Jeff Kurtz (if it hasn't been already), purchasing an !Arcade! Solution's convertor,
and buying some MVS games. The choice is yours, Outsider, and we'll honor your decision either way.

Uyko: no, your Neo-Geo home system would need to have a Mod chip installed to have access to the MVS dip switch settings.

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Give it some thought, Outsider. Neo gaming is an excellent hobby, and you should always
buy the things that you think will fit your gaming needs.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Yeah, I mean, I have a nice set of home carts, and I'm not planning on dumping them, but I would enjoy having the ability to do MVS also. Its just that the HGA/SG is attractive because it also opens up the world of Jamma
smile.gif

With the NeoGeo convertor from !ARCADE! I can play MVS games comfy in my living room. My girlfriend doesnt appreciate much the sight of a home-made supernova in the living room at all =)