The BEST port over from NEO GEO

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
What do you think is the best NEO GEO port over to a home system? Can be any system EXCEPT a NEO GEO CD....but I'm sure you alredy knew that.....check out my new GIF thanks to Prozeg!!!

------------------
25713188.gif

The fire burns in my soul.

T

TheDjinn

I liked KOF 95 for Saturn. I wish SNK would have had a rom cart with the game instead of the ram cart. There was virtually no loading.

T

TheDjinn

I liked KOF 95 for Saturn. I wish SNK would have had a rom cart with the game instead of the ram cart. There was virtually no loading.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Good question. Well, obviously the recent DC versions of Neo games are the closest you can get to the actual Neo, but, I would have to give my vote to best converstion to Metal Slug for the Saturn also. Its the best thing next to the NG one.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I agree, the DC releases are near perfect. My favorite DC ports are Twinkle Star and Last Blade.

------------------
ntm.jpg

N-T-M

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
I would have to say that my two favorite neo geo ports are Metal Slug on Saturn and KOF 99 E. for Dreamcast. Both had the same great graphics as the original neo versions, and KOF had even cooler backgrounds than the cart. WOW!

------------------

And knowing is half the battle.

S

Silent_Scope

Metal Slug on Saturn? Well, it's closed but not spectacular. I think all DC port are the best ones. If you want to talk about Saturn, then I'll give it to Capcom not SNK coz Capcom not only uses 4 Meg Cart (SNK only supports 1 meg, what the heck is that?) and ports 100% arcade identical versions X-men vs. Street Fighters and Marvel vs. Street Fighters.

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Originally posted by Silent_Scope:
Metal Slug on Saturn? Well, it's closed but not spectacular. I think all DC port are the best ones. If you want to talk about Saturn, then I'll give it to Capcom not SNK coz Capcom not only uses 4 Meg Cart (SNK only supports 1 meg, what the heck is that?) and ports 100% arcade identical versions X-men vs. Street Fighters and Marvel vs. Street Fighters.

Ah yes, Capcom does, BUT, it was SNK who started that whole thing with the RAM carts. By the time the 4meg one came out, SNK had already done their ports of numerous games before. When the 4megs arrived, the Saturn was just about gone too. SNK then switched to the DC for the others titles, such as KOF98. I still remember the big discussion when Capcom was pondering bringing the 4meg cart out here, but of course, never did.

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
I tink the best one is KOF 95 for Saturn

------------------
kof97_ryujinyamazakilaff.gif

YOU DONT LIKE ME? "THEN FUCK OFF"

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Has anyone tried Samurai Spirits 4 on the Saturn? I hear it kicks ass. Thought I read a rumour somewhere about it having a 4-meg RAM cart by SNK, as well.

-BioMotor_Unitron

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I have Samurai Spirits 3 on Saturn with a 1-Meger...its really great. I read that it was an even better conversion than 4 on Saturn.

------------------
ukyo.gif
"Tsubame Rokuren!" - Tachibana Ukyo

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
It would have to be SS3 for saturn. It isn't my favorite Samurai, but it is a really good translation. So is SS4, although the sound effects suffer, and the characters seem smaller. It only uses the original ram cart, but it still is a decent conversion considering!

------------------
"The un-examined life, is a life not worth living"

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I haven't played all the conversions, but KOF 95 on the saturn is Really good. Especially when it was originally released! These were the days when Saturn and Playstation were fairly new, and I'll be damned if I'm still not impressed with the crisp, clear quality of the graphics on this port.

Robert

20 Year Member
the best game is certainly kof99 on DC.But perhaps metal slug x on playstation will take it place

endgamer

Another Striker
As I only have two ports, both for the Saturn,MS and Stakes Winner. I will have to go with the almighty Metal Slug.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Originally posted by BioMotor_Unitron:
Thought I read a rumour somewhere about it having a 4-meg RAM cart by SNK, as well.

-BioMotor_Unitron

That is very unlikely, as all the SNK games on Saturn used only 1 meg. It is compatible w/ other 4 meg carts, including Capcom's. W/ SNK games, I heard that some experienced incompatibility w/ Capcom's Meg cart, though I haven't experienced any problem.

As for the best conversions, I have owned all the ports w/ exception of Fighter's History Dynamite. SS 3 is good, but has some problems, like most port. Yes, you can do the infintes and all, but the feel is different (of couse, since it's not on Neo Geo). Also, the speed is I dare say, actually seemed a bit faster than the Neo Geo port? I also think 95 is a very good port. But, in term of pure fun, I would go w/ KOF 99:Evolution for DC. Actually, this is the only Neo Geo port that made me feel that it was perhaps better than the real McCoy.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The best three ports in my opinion:

3.) Samurai Shodown 4 for Saturn-it even defaults to English if your Saturn is a domestic North American model!

2.) KOF '99 Dream Match for DC-amazingly well done for a first time SNK port to the 'cast.

1.) KOF '99 Evolution for DC-the 'porting' crew really figured it all out for this game. I'd agree that it's more fun to play than the Neo version, especially with the ASCII fighting pad.

Taiso