Re-releasing SNK games

D

DigiPunk

Let me tell you this guys. If I won the lottery or came into a lot of money, I would consider trying to obtain a license direct from SNK Japan (Arzue) and attempt to re-release Metal Slug 3, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I know the demand is there. Many people are looking for these games. Look at ebay and these discussions. I wonder what it would cost to start a small company to re-release SNK games.. Any businesspeople with degrees or knowledge here that could enlighten us further to this? I know it was mentioned eariler..

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, it wouldn't pay to re-release them on the Neo Geo home cart system. However, it MIGHT be profitable to convert them to the DC, and release them there. MUCH larger potential market, and the DC can handle the games just fine; look at Last Blade 2: Final Edition, its a beautiful conversion!

And while we're at it, consider:

A Samurai Shodown collection (1-4)
A Fatal Fury Collection
Obviously, a Metal Slug collection
Shooter collection
etc.

The DC seems to be a nice successor to the Neo in many ways . . .
biggrin.gif

And don't even get me started on the POS2 . . .
frown.gif

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
A Samurai Shodown collection (1-4)

Damn that would be nice.. I'm glad that SNK has kept porting stuff to the DC, it does a near perfect job at it. I hope to god that SNK doesnt team up with Sony, the PS2 sucks my ass.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
i have dc and ps2 soo i have a base to complain from.

Do any of you even have ps2, or let alone ever played it cause the dreamcast is a peice of shit compared to ps2. im not talking to anyone personally but i think its not right to say a system is shitty if you have not played it before. like when i bought saturn everyone made fun of me and said it was a peice of shit when they have never played it before. now for the rest of you who have actually played more than a few games for ps2, you have the right to complain but there are those few who decide to piss and moan about any new technology that has come out right when they have spent 200 on the dreamcast

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
I have a PS2 and a Dreamcast. I have played both a lot. I spent 3 times as much for the PS2 and since I got it I have bought a whole whopping 3 games for it. What a piece of shit system it is. I find myself playing games like Metal Gear Solid Integral and Dracula X!! Sure Tekken Tag looked good, but there was nothing that just blew my mind that couldn't be done on Dreamcast. Look at Dead or Alive 2!! It is better on Dreamcast. Also being a NEO fan, the Dreamcast is far supperior to the PS2 for 2-D games. Look at the games that Capcom has produced and SNK for that matter. All you get for the PS2 is remade snowboarding games and the newest better looking improved with 2 more cool plays sports games that are obsolete the month they come out. Also lets see PS2 in VGA mode!! oops sorry it doesn't support it...

I just traded it for a few games on an 11-year old system that I enjoy more!!! Just because it's new doesn't make it better!!

At least the Dreamcast brings out quality games and not Quantity....

Just my thoughts....

------------------
25052802.gif
Look me bouncy!!!

D

DigiPunk

That is a very good idea to port SNK games to the DC. All you mentioned would be great.

I would like to see a US version of SSRPG as well.

Hmmm.. Let's hope more forward-thinking co's like Agetec can port those games !!

------------------
Phantasy Star Online 2001.30.01
A simple formula
Phantasy Star + Sonic Team + Online = No life and no regrets.

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

Hmmm. Yes, I have both. In fact, I have two of each. If I could only keep one of the two systems, I'd hand over the PS2 in a second. I guess I disagree with the "piece of shit" thing.

What exactly do you prefer about the PS2? The cool vertical look, the neat logo? Surely it can't be all the great games.

Brent

Originally posted by peterr928:
i have dc and ps2 soo i have a base to complain from.

Do any of you even have ps2, or let alone ever played it cause the dreamcast is a peice of shit compared to ps2

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
everyones entitled to their opinions, im just sick of people who dont have it sayin stuff but u guys have it so you have every right to say what u want

D

DigiPunk

Personally, I am currently a DC true-believer, having purchased 27 games in a window of less than 2 years.

I cannot, however, condem nor praise PS2.

It has a way to go, and it does have potential.
The Bouncer, FFX, Everquest, MGS2, and Lunar III give it that potential. Whether or not it will live up to this remains to be seen.

Developers say it is a beast to program for compared to the Xbox and Gamecube.

We'll see.

------------------
A simple formula

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, I think its a stupid statement to say that we have to own a POS2 to judge it. I've played just about everything on the system, in stores and at a friend's house. Its a joke, plain and simple. I am continually amazed at how many people, in a frenzy, rushed out to buy the console. Blindly, with almost no promise of decent games.

SSX is OK, but snowboarding is kinda boring. Sports titles, EA ain't all that . . . NFL2K1 plays better than Madden, and looks almost as good. Tekken Tag Tournament plays choppy, and is completely lame next to Soul Calibur. Ridge Racer V has really boring repeated textures and obvious jaggies. DOA2 is better on DC than on the POS2. Early reviews of the Bouncer that I've read say its a disappointment. Dynasty Warriors I've played, is worse than mindless hack 'n slash with pathetic, zero-detail backgrounds. And on and on and on . . .

peterr, if you think the DC is a "piece of shit", why don't you dump yours and keep the POS2? Focus on the one good system, and unload the other one? Nah, you won't, cause you know yourself that there's very little good out for the POS2 right now, and not much coming from what I've read. Oooh, MGS2 is coming . . . so what, the first one was boring. And it'll probably just be one more in the long string of disappointments.

They don't call it the POS2 for nothing . . .
biggrin.gif

DK1

Crazed MVS Addict
My brother got a PS2 the day it came out and between him and a few friends of mine, I've played any of the titles worth a half a green shit. My parents were getting me a PS2 for Christmas until I hinted at a Dreamcast and they were like "What?!?" Because I was a firm believer in the PSX when it came out over the Saturn ... and it turns out I made the right choice then. There's one reason I chose the Dreamcast, despite SEGA's tradition of abondoning systems, I asked for one because of the games. I'm tired of all the 3D mumbojumbo. I wanted some real games ... CvS, KOF, SF3, Gunbird 2, Cannon Spike ... and of course the best football title, NFL2K1.

Besides, the PS2 looks like a DVD player choked on a helicoptor and threw up a refrigerator. Looks like AIBO took a shit. I've been a lifelong SONY lover, but damn ...

T

TheDjinn

I own both systems and I have to say that I am very disappointed with the PS2. I was all excited and hunted it down back in March from Japan and EVERY game has been mediocre at best. The Bouncer is ok if you can deal with playing a game for 1 minute then load load load, throughout the whole game. The Dreamcast in my opinion is a way better system for 2D and 3D games.

Some good news

Work is underway to port some of the Neo Geo games from the MVS/AES to other platforms. PC conversions have been completed (10 games in all) and DC is being worked on now (X Box will follow SNK permitting)

Bad news - there is almost no info being provided by SNK so it is all taking some time. The screen res will be the same as MVS so there will be no re-formed graphics - it won't be the same razor sharp graphics that you get with DC normally, but it will be the same as the AES on your home TV. Once the first game is completed, the rest should be fairly easy.

But....with no source availabe, it takes time.

Rgds

Jeff

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
If I had won the lottery I wouldve suggest SNK to make a nother Handheld system like (32bits) and release all the homecart games on it and all the NGPC games (cheaper price) so we have a large amount of games on it and well conquer the world! Befor Nintendo does it with its GBA!

Cho

kyo3.jpg

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by peterr928:
everyones entitled to their opinions, im just sick of people who dont have it sayin stuff but u guys have it so you have every right to say what u want

I have a US and Japanese PS2 and I am very dissapointed. There are all but 4 games that are worth playing. Until they get some BETTER games out, I'll stand by the ass sucking statement. Dreamcast kicks the shit out of PS2.

[This message has been edited by NeoTurfMasta (edited January 19, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

(EvilDigipunk appears when threats are spewed forth)

kof99_leonawhitefire.gif

"SSX is OK, but snowboarding is kinda boring. Sports titles, EA ain't all that . . . NFL2K1 plays better than Madden, and looks almost as good. Tekken Tag Tournament plays choppy, and is completely lame next to Soul Calibur. Ridge Racer V has really boring repeated textures and obvious jaggies. DOA2 is better on DC than on the POS2. Early reviews of the Bouncer that I've read say its a disappointment. Dynasty Warriors I've played, is worse than mindless hack 'n slash with pathetic, zero-detail backgrounds. And on and on and on . . .

peterr, if you think the DC is a "piece of shit", why don't you dump yours and keep the POS2? Focus on the one good system, and unload the other one? Nah, you won't, cause you know yourself that there's very little good out for the POS2 right now, and not much coming from what I've read. Oooh, MGS2 is coming . . . so what, the first one was boring. And it'll probably just be one more in the long string of disappointments.
"

TAKE THIS SHIT TO THE WAR ROOM.

THAT'S IT..

------------------
A simple formula

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

DigiPunk - Part time Evil SNK, Full time hardcore gamer.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
hahaha....ok we will go to the war room over a videogame system. it was a statement man, get over it

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
oh no i dont think you did, i think that other guy did though who "wants to meet me in the war room"

my god its a game chill out

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Jeff (Vektorlogic Ltd), that's good to hear. Best wishes to you. I'll be eager to see what SNK titles you port to the DC.

I looked at your site, and that Pop 'n Pop (Taito F3 puzzle game) conversion looks nice.

Jackal
gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com