How to Print MVS Inserts

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Ok, this is meant to be a guide on how to get MVS, Shock Box inserts printed. This is what I do. Your mileage may vary. The reason I say this is because, as I have come to understand it, Kinko's pricing is somewhat, shall we say, fluid across the US. Hopefully they are not right bastards where you live and your cost will be reasonable as well.

I will describe how I print mine and what materials are used. For me, each insert I have printed is $2.98. I do not have sales tax where I live, so that's my actual cost. In any case, here's what I do.

First off, files must be in PDF format!!! At my Kinko's, they will only do print jobs such as these if there are PDF's. If your files are EPS, BMP or whatever, they will charge you $10.00 just to switch them to PDF. Obviously, this is a joke. Simply "Save As" PDF with some pack in or shareware Photoshop, if need be and then write to whatever storage medium.

Insert files must be on either a CD, ZIP disk or other large storage medium. The small inserts are generally in excess of 25MB, with some of the more intricate designs topping 50MB. Once you have written your files to your disk type of choice, go to Kinko's.

Once there, they will have some booklets of paper types to choose from. Personally, I use a heavier gauge, almost card stock paper that is also high gloss. Almost as thick as photo paper for a printer, but not quite. I like this stock because it is hardy enough to take some cramming, as the bottom of the shock boxes get tight and you want the insert all the way in and also because I just like the high gloss look.

I think this paper runs about a buck a sheet, so it is more expensive. You can get cheaper grades that are just as hardy without the gloss. This is simply my choice. Also, due to the size of these inserts, let them know that you are wanting these printed on tabloid paper. Basically, that is an official name for a big ass piece of paper, about the size of the "Enquirer" opened up.

One thing to know about the glossy paper; just like paint or finish on a wood floor, gloss shows printing limitations more readilly than matte paper. For example, on the inserts where there is a large black field, you can see some striping in the black of a glossy print. Not horrible, understand, but enough to see if you look closely. Again, because I like the gloss, I don't care.

There is no need to specify dimensions of your print. PDF files remember how big they are supposed to be and print accordingly.

Once you have chosen your paper, it's basically time to place you order, give your disk to the Kinko's person and leave. They can usually have it done within a number of hours or, at the longest, the next day. It is worth the extra time to do it this way.

After picking them up, they will probably have a large slide cutter (cuts paper with a razor blade attached to a metal slide bar) for you to trim the excess white off of your insert. My Kinkos does and I trim them all down while I am there.

The other orinting option is to bring your disk in and use their PC's to queue it up to their printers, but they have the gall to charge you for the pc time. Also, one member on the board told me that the Kinko's around him charge a $5 set up fee, whatever the hell that is. Basically, all they need to do is open the file and press print to their printer. Apparently that requires some setup. :p These would be the Right Bastard Kinko's that I mentioned earlier and may we hope they burn to the ground for their unreasonable pricing for the simple printing of one color copy.

Anyway, I know many of you really liked the KoF box set, and there is also an extremely cool Samurai Shodown box set that can be seen in my Collection pics on the NG.com site. The SS set is available on nick_th_fury's site (just check his profile for a link, and Big Bear has a number of inserts on his page too (where you can also convieniently by the boxes for them to go into).

I know Hinge's (KoF set) and many of the others in Kazuya's contest will be appearing soon on Kaz's page, and possibly on BB's too. My MVS stuff never looked so good. Making these, and printing them out is a lot of fun and hopefully this post can help others enjoy the art from our Neo friends as well.

Ask questions if you wish. And remember, for $3 a pop (plus a Shock Box), your MVS carts can look like this. :D

kof_box_spine.jpg

MVS_SS_BOXSET_cr.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I just want to mention that Hinge has definitely raised the bar and great job by you RYOGEO!

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</p>

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Obviously, this is a joke. Simply "Save As" PDF with some pack in or shareware Photoshop, if need be and then write to whatever storage medium.

Insert files must be on either a CD, ZIP disk or other large storage medium. The small inserts are generally in excess of 25MB, with some of the more intricate designs topping 50MB. Once you have written your files to your disk type of choice, go to Kinko's.
<hr></blockquote>

Well,
For those of you that wish to make PDF files,
I am writing this to help you out.
Any questions about pdf, feel free to ask, as I have been working ALOT in pdf lately.

First of all, saving as or exporting as PDF out of anyprogram will net you a default resolution of no better than 300 pixels per inch.

This may not sound bad, but it is.
The trick is, raster images, ie SCANS look fine when printed at that Res usually.
However, Vector objects, such as Text layers in photosop take a beating.
Causing type to become pixelated also.

Unfortuantly, the Acrobat printer driver written by Adobe for windows & macintosh both default to this.

In your export prefernces, or the printer driver itself, you can adjust up to 600 pixels per inch.

Text & Vector art such as Blaine's Inserts still take a beating during the translation at this setting.

As a result of this poor quality driver distributed by Adobe, MB file sizes are also larger than they need to be.

Therefore, printing is slower, and as RyoGeo mentioned above, time is money at some places.

Here's the good news.

There is a program called Acrobat Distiller 5.0

Distiller really cracks the whip.
If you can get a copy of this, Use It instead of any other method.

It will convert any Eps file into a pdf.
File sizes will be much smaller, & quality is perfect.

The default Res output is 300ppi again.
Go into it's Job options:

Under General Tab set:
Resolution - 2400 dpi
Check yes to embed thumbnails
Compatability: Acrobat 4.0-PDF ver 1.3

Note:
If your final pdf is not looking right.
try switching the compatability to
Acrobat 5.0-PDF ver 1.4
This may help some problems.
however, not everyone is setup for ver1.4

Be sure & set the default page size to whatever the deminsion of the eps is.

Under Compression Tab:

Color Images:
Bicubic Downsampling to 300 dpi for images above 400 dpi.

Compresion: Zip
Quality :8bit

Greyscale Images:
Bicubic Downsampling to 300 dpi for images above 400 dpi.

Compresion: Zip
Quality :8bit

MonoChrome Images:
Bicubic Downsampling to 1200 dpi for images above 1800 dpi.

Compresion: CCITT Group 4
Uncheck Anti-Alias to grey so it is NOT active.
Check Compress text and Line Art so it is active.

Under Fonts Tab
Check Embed all Fonts to be active

Set When Embedding Fonts Fails: To Cancel Job.

(This way you dont have problems creep up on you at kinkos when they are charging you.
You get an error while making the file.
So u know ahead of time you have a potential headache.)

Color Tab
Make sure Color managment policies is set tooL
Leave color Unchanged.

Otherwise, ya'll dont need to worry bout this tab too much.

Advanced Tab

Make sure Illustrator overprint mode is checked ON & active.

Make sure ASCII format is checked off & inactive.
Otherwise, you can leave this tab on its default settings, or feel free to play.

Important Note:
In distiller, once you've made all these changes,
do a Save As in this options window.
From that point on, all you need to do it boot Distiller,
Then switch the options tab to whatever u named this setup during your save as.
& Distiller is ready to go.

What I do, is setup one ove these 8.5x11 inch page. Save as Letter.
Then open that up again, change only the file deminsion For the size of shock inserts. Save again, repeat. Makes life easy.

I do recommend using Acrobat Reader to view your output.
To make sure your happy with the pdf before you pay to have it printed.

All this is, is what I recommend as a good setting for creating fantastic pdf files of your inserts.

Distiller comes with any full version purchase of
Adobe Acrobat 4 or Adobe Acrobat 5.

Im not sure if it sells seperatly? Anyone know?
Also, not that I condone it, but it's easily found on any peer2peeer filesharing network.

Anyway,
I hope this helps out a little.
Any questions, & I'd be happy to try & feild them.

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
thanks for the info guys, ive been looking for info on this

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Great thread! I'm thinking that this stuff should be stored as a FAQ file for printing!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by BIG BEAR:
I just want to mention that Hinge has definitely raised the bar and great job by you RYOGEO!

Also I want to mention to all of you that have purchased the SHOCK BOX that if the edges seem to be stiff or uncomfortable (have'nt had any complaints) It would be best for you to "break the the case in by firmly pinching the edges "outward" and back to their original position as you feel needed,DO NOT BEND INWARD 1st,just outward and back to the original position working it gently all the way around.
This will increase "drop durability" and make your case more comfortable to handle....
Feel free to ask me any questions. RIght now I am unable to print inserts for people and the FTP is still down due to some other matters I AM and must tend to before I can move FULL throttle...
Thankyou-BB

OOPS! made a mistake.
-BB

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]

[ April 28, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</p>

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR, you ought to put those pictures up on your Shock Box website, let people see what can be done with your boxes. :) If RyoGeo is amenable to the idea, of course. :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
This thread is wonderful. Thanks Ryo Geo and Nick for all the info... I saved this to my hard drive, but I second the motion, this needs to be turned into a faq so everyone can easily enjoy these inserts. Thanks guys,

-Nick

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Anyone know where you can download these images and where you buy "shock" boxes from? <hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.netreach.net/%7Escop/" target="_blank">http://www.netreach.net/%7Escop/</a>

this needs to be turned into a faq so everyone can easily enjoy these inserts <hr></blockquote>

I have updated my insert FAQ with some of this info.
I will continue to add to it, & try & cover more in the near future.

You can find my insert FAQ here:
<a href="http://home1.gte.net/res002b4/neogeo/nickthfuryFAQ.txt" target="_blank">http://home1.gte.net/res002b4/neogeo/nickthfuryFAQ.txt</a>

I hope ya'll find it useful

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the FAQ Nick!

Just thought I'd mention that I put up some more of the competition insert entries on my site. I now have the following inserts online:

Samurai Shodown (by Daemon)
Zupapa (by Matt K)
KOF '94 by deffty
Strikers 1945+ (by deffty)
Shock Troopers 2 (by Nostromo)
Neo Bomberman (by The Webmiester)
Last Blade (by Niek)
Last Blade and Metal Slug X (by Mr Wiz)
Magical Drop 3 by Chibi Nappa
Last Blade 2 by Chibi Nappa
Metal Slug 2 by Chibi Nappa
Waku Waku 7 by Chibi Nappa
Garou: MotW by Victor
Garou: Motw by DaMaN
Garou MotW by Gabriel

These have been split into 1.5 meg rar files, which I know is a bit horrible, but this is the only way I can upload them onto the server. My advice: grab a download manager like getright or whatever and use that to queue them all up so you don't have to keep clicking all the links :)

Feel free to drop by and grab the ones you want, but please only download one file at a time. I'll try and get some more up soon.

J' Kusanagi

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ok, thats cool and all, but what about AES? Say you get an AES game and that game only. Is there some kind of box you can buy for that and get an insert made the sameway that looks as cool as the mvs boxes?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by J' Kusanagi:
<strong>Ok, thats cool and all, but what about AES? Say you get an AES game and that game only. Is there some kind of box you can buy for that and get an insert made the sameway that looks as cool as the mvs boxes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

NO.
-BB

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Quick question - can anyone that has downloaded any of the inserts off my site tell me whether they extract ok for them or not? I've had a few people tell me that they won't uncompress, but I think it may be to do with the version of Winrar they are using. Somebody emailed me to say that they couldnt get it to work, but then upgraded to a newer version of winrar and it was fine. FYI, the version of winrar I used was 3.00 - they uncompress fine here anyway.

Any help is appreciated :)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by J' Kusanagi:
<strong>Ok, thats cool and all, but what about AES? Say you get an AES game and that game only. Is there some kind of box you can buy for that and get an insert made the sameway that looks as cool as the mvs boxes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never seen any custom made cases for AES stuff being sold to be honest... I've seen people selling spare cases, but they are hard to find and people tend to charge a fair bit for them.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
bump - anyone check the inserts yet? Also, I added some cool mvs spine label templates by Mr Wiz to the site, check em out! :)

Dan Elektro

Morden's Lackey
20 Year Member
That looks awesome. My little black and white spine labels look positively ghetto now. :)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Dan Elektro:
<strong>That looks awesome. My little black and white spine labels look positively ghetto now. :) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks! :D The credit goes to Mr. Wiz for making the spine label templates though, it was all done by him! The ones Supergoose made are pretty wicked as well imo :)

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Originally posted by RyoGeo:
<strong>First off, files must be in PDF format!!! At my Kinko's, they will only do print jobs such as these if there are PDF's. If your files are EPS, BMP or whatever, they will charge you $10.00 just to switch them to PDF. Obviously, this is a joke. Simply "Save As" PDF with some pack in or shareware Photoshop, if need be and then write to whatever storage medium.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope that's not true of all Kinko's, I don't think they do that at mine (I rarely give them anything other than .eps or .ai if I'm in a hurry) but if they do I'll be rather pissed at the surcharge as well as the quality hit.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
NEVERMIND...
Thankyou-BB

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</p>

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Sorry for the confusion BB.

What I meant by one of these, was one of the setup.

You see, in Distiller, you can save multiple options.
You give each one a new name.
So when you boot the program, theres a menu which you can choose the options you wish to use before making pdf files.

That way you don't have to go into the options menu itself & change the info every time.