Is ECM from Gamefan posting here!!

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I noticed that it said the newest registered member was ECM. Is this the ECM, editor of the now defunct Gamefan (my all time fav mag). If it's you, it's very cool to have you here. Your review of Metal Slug 3 in October's issue was the best ever written. What are your plans now that Gamefan is done. I though I read something at Video Game Depot about trying to ressurect the mag.

Thanks,
Ryan

hupplark_39

Kabuki Klasher
Man i hope this is true Ryan cause GameFan was truly the best Mag. period. it did the import section like no other and it would be a waste if this mag didn't get ressurected and back on track. thier site was one of the best next to the photo's in the mag. we need more coverage on 2-D imports! Joe, hupplark_39

K

kyoisthekof

I'm up with it. If it's the real ECM, hehe ALL HAIL. =o)

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Hail to ECM. If this is the real ECM, I have this to say about your review of Shenmue: boooo! hissssssss!

biggrin.gif

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 18, 2001).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Initially, I was amazed at Shenmu, then once I played this game for a while, I realized that I was playing a life sim, and it was boring. The constant talking, the little hassels...I am probably one of the few that dislike the game. I agree w/ Gamefan. It should be around 7-8--no more, no less.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by Master Terry Bogard:
Initially, I was amazed at Shenmu, then once I played this game for a while, I realized that I was playing a life sim, and it was boring. The constant talking, the little hassels...I am probably one of the few that dislike the game. I agree w/ Gamefan. It should be around 7-8--no more, no less.

To each his own.
biggrin.gif
People won't give the game a chance. If people were to take their time and work through the beginning (which is slow) the fights, interactions, and
locations are absolutely fabulous. I defeated the game in 2 weeks (the finishing day was on Thanksgiving day), so I know the game better than someone whose
devoted very little time to it. Trust me; once you get involved, the atmosphere will suck you in. I have never played a game where each gameplay element flows so
perfectly. I could be having a free roaming fight with Ryo, and suddenly the events change to a QTE, and it feels so smooth. It doesn't feel disjointed or just another
'mini' sequence thrown in to lengthen the sequence. It's funny, really: I didn't care too much for the original Metal Gear Solid for PS. It had terrible camera angels,
respawning enemies, and shoddy controls (great story line, tho') and it should have received a 5-7 rating. Most games would be shot down for having these flaws, but since it was 'Metal Gear' and produced
by 'Konami', those things were overlooked (remember the debacle that was FF7?). Just saying that people would have given Shenmue a better chance if it was done
by Squaresoft or Konami.
smile.gif
Is Shenmue perfect? Hell no! Could it have been better in some places? Yes, slightly...
This is probably not the case with you, Master Terry (you seem like an open-minded individual), but some people will walk away without giving something a chance.

(ECM said the game had no action, but to be honest, it doesn't have to be a 'twitch fest' to be involving.)
biggrin.gif

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 19, 2001).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Originally posted by NeoLord:

This is probably not the case with you, Master Terry (you seem like an open-minded individual), but some people will walk away without giving something a chance.

Thanks, but actually, I have only invested about 3 hours of gameplay, so I haven't given the game a real chance. I also heard that it gets better (esp. fights) later on. It's just that lately, I don't have much time, so maybe I am giving up on games faster than I used to. My major gripe is the constant talking you must do to obtain information, or trigger certain event. I know that this is required in games like this to give a person a sense of realness, and it is a refreshing idea. But, honestly, I care less for that. I don't want to waste lots of time on talking--I can do that easily on real life. This takes alot of effort and time for me=reduces fun factor. I am going to give the game another go, when I have more time. Hopefully I will like it more. But, who knows. As you said, "to each his own".

Speaking of which, I did put significant amount of time on Metal Gear Solid (beat it), and I have to agree w/ you. The game was not to my liking. I like strategy/ action as much as the next guy, but in this case, I prefered more arcade action like Tenchu, even though it shared similar (if not worse) problems as Metal Gear Solid. I have to give hats off to Metal Gear for excellent presentation and storylne, though.

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

ZERO.X

Quiz Detective
I've given the game more then a chance, I honestly believe it should be a 7 or 8.

The game is boring and reptitive! I was playing this game all the time, spending a whole lot of time talking to people after every event occured (which was mainly the boring and reptitive part).

I'm a completionist.

This game is said to be loved by most, espeically if they take their time. I took to much damn time, I don't like it. I still haven't started disc 3 cuz I don't want to (took me maybe a month to get to disc 3)

Welcome ECM!

I love your mag!
I got a free trial subscription to your mag from Express.com (the ones that killed you all), and I subscribed afterwards. Never got a single mag from that subscription....

I hope things do work out for you and your future mag (Will you be getting back some of the others that went to other places....like Anthony Chau at IGNDC?)

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by ZERO.X:
I've given the game more then a chance, I honestly believe it should be a 7 or 8.

The game is boring and reptitive! I was playing this game all the time, spending a whole lot of time talking to people after every event occured (which was mainly the boring and reptitive part).

I'm a completionist.

This game is said to be loved by most, espeically if they take their time. I took to much damn time, I don't like it. I still haven't started disc 3 cuz I don't want to (took me maybe a month to get to disc 3)

To be very honest, I wasn't too happy with Shenmu at first. It took until the 2nd disc to really appreciate it.

Ah.. but there is where the game actually picks up. From there on the second disc you get a job at the harbor, and you have countless QTE's and fist fights.You end up haivg a fighting match with over 70 enemies at once (the VMU keeps count as you dust each one off) and that bald ninja returns on the third disc for some ass-kickin' action. Yo

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited January 19, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

I've written my own semi-long review of Shenmue. I gave it a 7.6 out of 10. Ground-breaking game, but limited in playability.

I don't have it posted anywhere, so here it is for those who care..

Review: Shenmue for Dreamcast

Ahhh.. 1986. A year I remember somewhat fondly. Who could forget movies like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, or Howard the Duck? Then there were the games of the time –Elevator Action for Nintendo, Space Harrier and Hang On in the arcade, and don’t forget that Dreamcast game Shenmue. What? Dreamcast and Shenmue in 1986?

Well, sort-of. Sega’s wanna-be uber-epic that could, Shenmue, does take place in 1986 – in the game’s world. For awhile, the player also believes they are in Japan, circa 1986 – almost. This overly ambitious game, years in the making and millions of dollars worth of production, delivers graphically, but fails to impress in all other areas.

The story revolves around Ryo Hazuki, a young man who witnesses the murder of his father Iawo, a prominent martial-arts dojo master, before his very eyes. It seems that a mysterious man named Lan-Di was after some strange foreign artifact that Iawo owned, and murdered him to obtain it. Following this heinous crime, Ryo sets out on his own quest to find out what Lan-Di’s true motives for murdering his father are and to seek revenge on Lan-Di. Along the way, Ryo meets many characters, both eccentric and mundane, rides forklifts and motorcycles, gets into many dangerous fights, and even gets a little time to collect toy capsules and play an arcade game or two.

Graphically, this game is a showstopper. Ornate details like hair fibers, lighting, earwax, and even teeth are rendered impeccably. The game’s world comes alive with snow that seems to be falling out of the screen and toward the player, not to mention translucent streams and falling rain. Even the jeans Ryo has shows some wear and tear, with sprinkled white fade marks to add to the realism.

Animation, however, is one of the many places where this game falls flat. Motions by characters, whether during normal movement, or during Virtual-Fighter style battles, is often jerky and unconvincing, especially when characters talk. Although the characters’ lips synch well with their speech, they often seem robotic, never blinking their eyes. Animation during mini-games like forklift driving and motorcycle riding is also well suited and consistent with the rest of the game – very sloppy.

Sound, surprisingly enough, works well in this game. One big bonus throughout the game is that ALL characters speak. From the key characters to the most mundane citizens in the game’s world, they all have a voice of their own and all interact with the main protagonist, Ryo. Music is well suited to the game, ranging from atmospheric sound effects like the trickling water of a pond to the creepy horror-inspired theme of one of the game’s more freakish antagonist, Choi.

Gameplay is where this game is a mixed bag. The best way to describe the gameplay of Shenmue is that it attempts to be a jack of all trades, and ends up being a master of none. In their attempt to bring this game to the masses and add something new to the gaming scene, they came up with a new genre suited to the game called F.R.E.E. which stands for Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment. The intent of this is to engross the player with multiple types of gameplay and full exploration of the game’s world through character interaction, clue gathering, and exploring. Add to this multiple action sequences spread out though the game, and the goal is to immerse the player in the game entirely, tricking their mind into believing that the game they are playing is in the realm of virtual reality. Ambitious? Yes, too bad the execution of the F.R.E.E. environment is as sloppy some of the other parts of the game. In the beginning, the player truly does buy into the F.R.E.E. environment. Character interaction seems revolutionary, with every character having a spoken line to say. The player is free to roam about doing anything they want, from buying candy in a store, to playing emulated games in the arcade, to knocking on 100’s of neighborhood doors to see if anyone is home. After a while though, the mundane reality of the game starts to set in. The player quickly learns that Shenmue tries TOO HARD to copy reality. Pretty soon, players start to notice that interactions with the game’s robotic characters become run-of-the-mill. Not only do characters in the game move and look like robots, they start sounding like robots, using repeated phrases. Buying things also gets tiring in Shenmue. There is no real reason to buy toy capsules, candy, or anything else in the game other than to collect it. If this wasn’t enough, the boring nature of Shenmue rears its ugly head during clue-finding and game progression. One feature of Shenmue is that time passes almost like in real-life, and that appointment have to be kept by the player. To advance the plot, Ryo sometimes has to meet characters in the game at a certain time, or catch buses. This leaves the player having to find ways to pass time in the game. Early on, this can be done in the arcade, but even that option wears thin after awhile. As a consequence, many impatient players may turn the game off and never return to it again.

Another component to Shenmue are “QTEs” and “Free Battles.” These are spread throughout the game to break up the monotony and provide some action elements. These, too, end up being a mixed bag that save the game from being average. QTEs are action-reaction, hit-the-button-the-second-you-see-it-on-the-screen, points in the game. Think Dragon’s Lair, only tuned to a kung-fu movie atmosphere. Free Battles can best be described as Virtual-Fighter style fests. These parts of the game have you tackling multiple enemies at once with some of the moves you practice in the dojo. While some people argue that these two components of the game weren’t spread out enough, I disagree. As the game intensifies and switches from light-hearted to intense in story, so do the frequency of Free Battles and QTEs. This, I feel, complements the story well and puts the player in the thick of the action. The only problem with this is that there is too much of it toward the end. This hurts the game considerably.

While not for everyone, Shenmue is a game that is best played and enjoyed by people that like a good story, and who have a lot of patience. Though the story starts out slow, it quickly becomes engrossing toward the end, just begging the player to finish it and see what happens next. Shenmue is a good glimpse of what is to come for games of the future. While it attempts to be a jack of all trades, it ends up being a master of none. While it is only slightly above average, I have high expectations for the sequel. This game is but a mere prelude for the volume of sequels, which are destined to come. This game has great potential to become a videogame epic classic. Too bad the first game starts it out on the wrong foot.

Graphics: 10/10
Sound: 7/10
Uniqueness: 9/10
Replay: 4/10
Overall: 7.6/10

Pros: Gorgeous graphics/Great Concept/Gripping Story
Cons: Bad Execution/Game Drags On/Only replay is in the emulated versions of Hang-On and Space Harrier
Appeals to: People who like to play a game for its great storytelling/Die Hard gamers who have to know about the latest and greatest.

Sorry about the long post. This stuff belongs in unrelated.. Sorry Shawn..

------------------
Phantasy Star Online 2001.30.01
A simple formula
Phantasy Star + Sonic Team + Online = No life and no regrets.

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

DigiPunk - Part time Evil SNK, Full time hardcore gamer.

ZERO.X

Quiz Detective
Originally posted by NeoLord:
To be very honest, I wasn't too happy with Shenmu at first. It took until the 2nd disc to really appreciate it.

Ah.. but there is where the game actually picks up. From there on the second disc you get a job at the harbor, and you have countless QTE's and fist fights.You end up haivg a fighting match with over 70 enemies at once (the VMU keeps count as you dust each one off) and that bald ninja returns on the third disc for some ass-kickin' action. Yo

Maybe I'll pick it up again, though I don't see that happening soon....
I'm about to get a lot of new games (which I don't normally do):

Megaman Xtreme (don't have a GBC)
Megaman X5 (don't have a PS)
Burning Rangers (trading very soon)
Typing of the Dead (sucker for fruity/new concept games; don't have KB)
Bangai-O (my first Treasure game!)

And I still have to finish a lot of other games:
KoF R-1
KoF R-2 (last secret character)
KoFDM99
KoFEvo
CvsS (last secret)
Grandia 2
SofA
NeoPokeKun
and more.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Hey Guys...Gamefan isn't dead, just Gamefan on line.

------------------
ukyo.gif
"Tsubame Rokuren!" - Tachibana Ukyo

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by Ukyo:
Hey Guys...Gamefan isn't dead, just Gamefan on line.

This is true! I saw the latest issue of Gamefan at the local market today. =)

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
neonews.cjb.net

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'm glad Game Fan is still alive. I heard so much "Game Fan is dead" talk on other boards. What games are featured in the new issue? The last one I got was the one with FFIX's Vivi on the cover.

Jackal
gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com

S

Silent_Scope

Guys, I think I'm the second person (after Master Terry) who don't like shenmue that much. I bought that game when it first came out in Japan, got strategy guide and still didn't play more than 2 hours since. The reason I don't like it is because it's really really boring. The game is still in my closet and covers with dust..........

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
Actually the magazine is dead at the moment. The issue that you saw in stores is the last issue under thier former publisher. They are now trying to shop around for a new publisher to pick up the mag. Read what ECM posted at Video Game Depot a couple weeks ago.

The kind folks at VGD recently let it be known to me that some of you are keenly interested in what's going on with GameFan: Are we alive; are we dead; am I really that short? In a nutshell, we're still kicking...albeit slowly. Though I can't say much (the biz people would have my capped head, well, capped), I can say this: we are currently working on a solution that will allow GameFan (both print and online) to go on doing what we do best. At the risk of getting myself in some hot water, the party that wants to publish GF is actually, , a magazine publisher (I know, I know, I'm as shocked as everybody else), not a retailer or some half-assed 'private' investor. Needless to say I'm very excited and hopefully in the very near future I can spill the full and complete beans on the matter. In addition, let me quickly say thanks to the guys at VGD for allowing me this space to say something and to also thank EVERYBODY that's emailed, posted on message boards, or written in to various parties letting us know that you still want us around...it does the old heart good and has helped us 'hang in there' despite some trying times.

Thanks Everybody!
Eric 'ECM' Mylonas
Editor-in-Chief, GameFan

Ryan