Nightmare in the Dark info from NCS, Thoughts?

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Just thought I would pass some info along I got from NCS.

Apparently, the release of NitD is only being done in the North American and Asian territories, there are no plans to release the MVS cartridge in the Japanese territory. NCS's theory is that is due to the competitive nature of the coin-op business there.

What this probably means is that ther will not be ample copies of this game floating around, the MVS quantites will be limited (I am sure SNK does not want another Ganryu incident where they were unable to get rid of the game!), which means (this is speculative) that the MVS cart price might not drop. For SNK's production of the game, if they follow the same route as Ganryu, they do not need to manufactor anything except the rom chips for the game. The boards and cases should already be in inventory, and the only thing else is the artwork.

My thoughts? Everyone should try to get ahold of the MVS version of the game. While the game might come down in price (and might also suck, which means you could turn around and drop it on Ebay with little loss), I think it is a flip of a coin. While $550 is a little high, I think those who are able should pick up a copy of this game at release, showing there is support in the North American territory, meaning we will hopefully see some other releases in the future.

If what NCS says is fact, and SNK is not releasing this in Japan, SNK is taking a risk, trying something new. We need to hope that the risk pays off to have a future for the Neo here in the US, even if only by official MVS releases...

Thoughts?

------------------
Keith

mmlink.gif

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well if what you say is true (and NCS is certainly a source we can trust), I have a feeling that NitD will not be as common a title as some might think. I really wish I could try the game out first, before ordering one . . . but as you say, if it doesn't live up to specs, can always unload it on eBay.

It's certainly worth considering . . .
biggrin.gif

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Would this be the first MVS game not to be released in Japan?

------------------
ukyo.gif
"Tsubame Rokuren!" - Tachibana Ukyo

Robi15

20 Year Member
When is the actual releace date?
NITD should pop up at ebay shortly after the releace, so
smile.gif

------------------
NEOBIOS.gif

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited January 18, 2001).]

Price not drop? Hahahaha.
Look at Ganryu I just got it for $25.
It will drop and fast too.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
It may drop, or it may not. If the production quantities are small, it might stay at a fairly high level. This game is not being released in Japan, as mentioned by mouse_master in the first post in this thread. So quantities may be pretty small . . . and you know how that whole supply and demand thing works . . .
biggrin.gif

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't see a huge demand for this game... I mean I hate to rock the boat here, but there is only about 30 - 40 members here that seem excited about this game, and come on... we are the Neo community... so... I don't know, maybe 50 copies will sell immediatly... then arcades will buy the other 450 - 950 carts... the game will sit in the arcades, be a slow earner... and it will flood eBay in 6 months. And hell, we don't even know what type of game this really is yet! All we have seen is some screen shots and heard a few rumours or speculations that it plays like Bubble Bobble and Snow Bros... I am going to wait... if the game is incredible and the supply is low, guess I will be paying more for it later, but I would rather risk it, cause like Nostromo says.... I just got Ganryu for $25, and Strikers for $85.

-Nick

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
I agree with nruva. I think that the MVS will not hold it's value since there seems like only a few that are interested. If the game suck we WILL know soon enough because there will be a flood of them on ebay triggering a panic of getting rid of it. I am sure that if it is good enough to merit the $550 price tag then eventually the Arcades that bought their copy of it will eventually sell it and it will find its way into Neo Fans that decided to wait. By the way where did you get Strikers for $85 nruva?

------------------
25052802.gif
Look me bouncy!!!

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Oh, and guys you can always preorder a copy of the rare official NGF AES cart from NGF . . . only $369, until they decide to raise it (after getting your money) to $399, $429, $449, $499, $529, $589, $615 (all in a series of emails you get after your preorder, to keep you informed, aren't they great?). . . or, if you're REALLY lucky, you can get two for $1100!! What a deal!!!

Lemme sign up for some of those awesome AES cartridges . . . who cares about money, I WANNA BE A BIGTYMER!!!!

* rushes to bathroom to get sick * HUUUAALLLPPPP . . .
frown.gif

rstreck

Armored Scrum Object
I see the price on this game dropping real fast. This game looks to be very substandard by Neo standards, especially for a 2001 release. It remindes me of Ganryu. For a 1999 release it was piss poor. Now you can pick up a copy of it on eBay for $25 or so. I see the same thing happening with NITD. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Ryan

Robi15

20 Year Member
It can also be a popular game. It looks very good, in my opinion. But yeah, the price will fall eventually. Does anybody know how many MEGS the game is?

------------------
NEOBIOS.gif

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
djbomberman,
I just picked up the Strikers cart last week from Cosmic Amusement in Hong Kong. The price was $85 and about $10 shipping. I have to say that it was a great deal... I ordered three different carts from them, all three came with mark up cards, dip switch settings, and flyers and everything (carts included) was in new mint condition. The shipping seems a little high, but it comes VERY fast and since the carts are such a steal anyway I don't mind. Also, you need to send them a money order... That means a little bit of a wait before you get the stuff, but all and all, again for the value I do not mind. Here is their web address: http://home.netvigator.com/~cosmicco
shoot them an email for a current price list, they are very fast in getting back with their customers. I have to say to whole transaction was wonderful.

-Nick