My Final thoughts on NGF Kof2000 then I'll shut up :)

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Okay,

After reading Magic box, Kales review, NGF response and the others I have drawn my own though and OPPINION on this matter. I say all this not seeing the english version Nor would I want to buy it. I am just using my personal experience with the Neo and my Knowledge of NGF.

1. Do I think NGF is a distrubutor of SNK products?

yes I never disputed this. I do not think they are the Exclusive distrubutor just the only ones in the US that requested to distrubute them. After all everyone here was dealing with SNK USA up until it left the US and there was no other. So NGF probably got wind of a english release and ask if the can distrubute it.

2. DO I think the NGF KOF 2000 is a official snk product?

Yes/NO. Yes because it is obvious to me that snk released a US version. Maybe because of what NGF said about Aruze that they did not want to distrubute Japanese product to the US. But when the initial order of 1000 was not meet and therefore they would not flip the printing NGF said they would print the material themselves. SNK I am sure agreed and gave them the digital files they had already done on the game which NGF had printed out after they added thier little Neogeofreak logo touches to it. That is why I gave it the No.

3. Should the cart be include in a master game list?

I would have put it in mine, although I would denote it as a NGF release. I fully believe SNK released a US version I just do not believe the version that is being sold is how it was fully intended. even if you take into consideration that the gold warning label was removed.

4. Do I think the english version would cost more to make.

Sure it would if they had to flip the printing bill but not $315 more that is just gross profit. think about it when NCS was going to sell them before they resended the offer they had them listed at $529. No NGF had to sell them cheap enough for NCS to make a profit. although thier argument that distrubutor charge more is valid. However distrubutors do not raise prices. Pricing is determined by who they distrubute for.

This seems the most logical assumptions from the facts presents so far. But this is all personal conjunction on my part. since the full truth from NGF will never be truthfully told and I doubt if SNK will comment more then what the orginal had.

I wish SNK would have put it on thier website or comment on the matter more then they did but since they will not all that is left is speculation. But we all know the history of NGF and how they like to decieve so it make the most sense to me.

after all has not NGF already been proven a liar in the art being printed at the same place snk uses.

and please only thought out comments on this. Not the flames.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Good points! I truly invest in the thought that NGF is a poor supporter of the system. Yes, they carry a large stock, but at what price are you willing to pay? I think if they really where supporting the system, they would offer the games at a resonable price, so fans can have the games they love. It seems that they instead take advantage of our love for the system, and realize that Carts and CD's are not the easiest thing to come buy. They force buyers into paying gigantic amounts knowing that they might not be able to find the software anywhere else. It's sad, but true. Not only are they without honesty, but without integrity.

Again, I think you have some great thoughts on this situation. I enjoyed reading it!

------------------
"The un-examined life, is a life not worth living"

[This message has been edited by Verbatum (edited January 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Verbatum (edited January 12, 2001).]

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Well having both english and Jap games in front of me, I believe that KOF2K English is a manufactured cart. It is well above the usual NGF conversion cart. Yes, there are differences, which Kale points out in his report. But I still belive the game was manufactured with SNK's blessing.

Anthony

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Originally posted by Neo Fan:
Well having both english and Jap games in front of me, I believe that KOF2K English is a manufactured cart. It is well above the usual NGF conversion cart. Yes, there are differences, which Kale points out in his report. But I still belive the game was manufactured with SNK's blessing.

Anthony

Yes, but the key phrase you used (which I agree with) is this: "manufactured with SNK's blessing". What it means to me is that although SNK may have done translation work for the manual, may have worked on the "digital files" for the insert, manual, and sticker, and may have "authorized" this version, THEY DID NOT MANUFACTURE THE CARTS IN THEIR COMPLETE FORM. Probably they provided the files to NGF (maybe), and NGF modded them with the ugly URL crap on the back insert, and had them printed locally (in the U.S.). However, NGF did not match the same materials typically used by SNK, thus some of the differences. The color dot corruption is troubling, though; it really points to NGF having had their hands on the digital files, since it is sloppy graphic design work.

Ultimately, "blessed" or not, the KOF2K English cart was not MANUFACTURED by SNK in its final form (where is the gold warning sticker on the carts, too?), thus to me it is NOT an AUTHENTIC NEO GEO HOME CART.

There will ALWAYS be a stigma attached to this cart, and for many many collectors, it will be viewed as not original, therefore not desirable in the least.

Pure gamers could care less, they have the game for $330 and the "English" version is nothing more than a complete waste of $300 or whatever price NGF has jacked the cart up to by now.

And one more thing, with the advent of a working MVS adapter that will play ALL MVS games on the home system, the need for home versions of any new carts has greatly decreased. Gamers now can get the games after they drop in value, as they always do (I got Strikers 1945 Plus MVS, brand new complete for $95 + shipping recently). Collectors might still care about future releases, but when there is such a cloud of controversy around the NGF "official" carts, they are less likely to consider buying them, especially at the ridiculous inflated prices being offered.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by chimpmeister:

Pure gamers could care less, they have the game for $330 and the "English" version is nothing more than a complete waste of $300 or whatever price NGF has jacked the cart up to by now.

And one more thing, with the advent of a working MVS adapter that will play ALL MVS games on the home system, the need for home versions of any new carts has greatly decreased. Gamers now can get the games after they drop in value, as they always do (I got Strikers 1945 Plus MVS, brand new complete for $95 + shipping recently). Collectors might still care about future releases, but when there is such a cloud of controversy around the NGF "official" carts, they are less likely to consider buying them, especially at the ridiculous inflated prices being offered.

True, a pure gamer could care less about an English KOF2K. It is mainly those who collect that are interested.

Anthony