Unibios isn't working? UPDATE IT IS WORKING!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well I burned the unibios tonight... I was psyched, I couldn't wait to try it... Much to my surprise I didn't get the startup menu. I tried the key combos, and nothing worked. So... I took the unibios and the original bios and did a few compares.

"Comparing
neo-geo.rom
and
uni-bios.rom

Both files have the same file size. Comparing binary code.

Both files share the exact binary code. Perfect match."

CRAP!!!!!

So I run a checksum on both files:

"checksum on both files:

neo-geo.rom
Checksums is 23830284

uni-bios.rom
Checksums is 14017230"

There is a difference, but the binary compare is identical :( So what is the deal here, I can't get it to work and although the checksums don't match, the binary data is reported as being the same.... I hope I screwed something up!

-Nick

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: nruva ]</p>

Winston Goh

Camel Slug
I have not burn it yet as I have no eraser and no new eprom but I run a dos fc and different is a lot. Could be wrong..time to get some eprom!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Originally posted by nruva:
<strong>Well I burned the unibios tonight... I was psyched, I couldn't wait to try it... Much to my surprise I didn't get the startup menu. I tried the key combos, and nothing worked. So... I took the unibios and the original bios and did a few compares.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

You must be doing something wrong here, even with no bios in the system will do something. need more information about the eeprom you used etc.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There is a difference, but the binary compare is identical :( So what is the deal here, I can't get it to work and although the checksums don't match, the binary data is reported as being the same.... I hope I screwed something up![/QB]<hr></blockquote>

The binary is not totally identical. You have done something wrong for sure, just need to find out what.

Raz

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK, I must have screwed something up. It is late, I am going to try again in the morning,

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK, so I gave it one more try tonight and it is up and running! EXCELLENT WORK. I think the Language and Console/Arcade selection is a little awkward, it took me a few to realize I had to push A, B, or C instead of wondering why the stick wasn't changing anything... but oh well.

The cheats are kind of cool, I tried it out with AOF3, for starters. Anyway, just wanted to update this, it is working A-OK, thanks for a great alternative bios for us MVS people,

-Nick

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Originally posted by nruva:
<strong>OK, so I gave it one more try tonight and it is up and running! EXCELLENT WORK. I think the Language and Console/Arcade selection is a little awkward, it took me a few to realize I had to push A, B, or C instead of wondering why the stick wasn't changing anything... but oh well.

The cheats are kind of cool, I tried it out with AOF3, for starters. Anyway, just wanted to update this, it is working A-OK, thanks for a great alternative bios for us MVS people,

Great stuff, Im happy its working for you.

I was going to use the joystick for choosing language and region but elected in the end for the current system. Once you get used to it you will find you can change the language easier and faster than having to waggle the stick around to do it.

btw, what MVS hardware do you have it running on? I ask because there are systems that it wasent tested on fully yet.

Raz

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Great stuff! How much for a pre-burned one???
I remember somebody stating that they had an epromed bios so they could just erase their current bios and burn this unibios right on there..
BTW has anything new been uncovered that we don't currently know about already??
Yeah.. I have'nt read yet SHAME ON ME :o

-BB

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: BIG BEAR ]</p>

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Originally posted by BIG BEAR:
<strong>Great stuff! How much for a pre-burned one???

See the universe bios homepage at

<a href="http://bios.cps2shock.com" target="_blank">http://bios.cps2shock.com</a>

Raz

Kert

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member
Sorry for going off topic. Where can I get a cheap eprom burner & eraser? and eprom chips? I want to use this bios for my MVS system also.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Kert ]</p>