ATOMISWAVE - Sammy's new hardware (?)

garou_d

Aero Fighter,
did I missed something, or Sammy (viewpoint) is about to produce a new rom based hardware with sega.

<a href="http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_atomiswave.html" target="_blank">link</a>

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by garou_d:
<strong>did I missed something, or Sammy (viewpoint) is about to produce a new rom based hardware with sega.

<a href="http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_atomiswave.html" target="_blank">link</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Sammy also did Guilty Gear X right? Anyway, sounds like a naomi, wonder why it is coming out now... Of course I am interested to see how it turns out,

-Nick

K hunter

Kula's Candy
i read awhile back in a press release article that Sammy had thier own haradware based around the PowerVR chipset... this is getting more interesting by the moment.

edit:
odd..... why DC based?

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: K hunter ]</p>

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
They are making new hardware.

My friend works for Sammy USA and he's doing research for a racing game that should one day be on the new hardware.

K hunter

Kula's Candy
Originally posted by lemonflav:
<strong>They are making new hardware.

My friend works for Sammy USA and he's doing research for a racing game that should one day be on the new hardware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks for the heads up... but this other project doesnt sound like it isnt real tho.... i mean when Sega already has DC arcade hardware(Naomi), why'd they want to do something that sounds dumb?

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: K hunter ]</p>

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Originally posted by lemonflav:
<strong>They are making new hardware.

My friend works for Sammy USA and he's doing research for a racing game that should one day be on the new hardware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

DOES YOUR FRIEND KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A NEW AMAGON?!?

AMAGONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

TRIEUMINATOR

Sammy's Hardware was shown at the AMOA in Vegas in Sept. '02, showing a racing game, Dolphin Blue (MS rip off) and one other game, I can't remember. The software was only 20% complete or so and was not impressive. SNES games played better. Again, it was still early.

They have two types of systems, one uses a interchangeable cart like the Neo MVS, while the other one is dedicated.

Vinnk

n00b
Of course Sega's looking to make new arcade hardware. Naomi's old and they don't exactally have to worry about how hard it is to port things to Dreamcast now (sadly). But didn't i hear they were making something with Nintendo? The point is it wouldn't be stupid for Sega to make new hardware.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Then there is the Triforce... But who knows when that will be out,

-Nick

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Originally posted by nruva:
<strong>Then there is the Triforce... But who knows when that will be out,

-Nick</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whenever the new F-Zero racing games heads to the arcades...I don't know the release date for that...

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
How about a new DJ BOY!!!!

:D

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by nruva:
<strong>Then there is the Triforce... But who knows when that will be out,

-Nick</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought I read somewhere that dev kits for the TriForce hardware were now being issued.

From what i can tell the Sami hardware IS NAOMI hardware but i assume Sega is not making that any more (seeing as they have Naomi2, are about to announce naomi 3 AND have Triforce (GC based) and Chrono H/W (X-box based) poised for release as well). It does seem feesable that sega would licence the technology to sammy though as it is reletavly cheap (it is only a DC with more RAM after all) and it does have very good 2d power and good enough 3D for the price point!

Sammi could quickly and cheaply develop for this system eliminating some of the risk and a lot of the cost of going for a bespoke (or needlssly powerful) system. I mean do you NEED system 246 for 2D?????

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
Atomiswave is really a modified Dreamcast. Sammy bought the remaining part of Sega's DC hardware to create this new hardware that was dubbed System X. All of the software titles so far are being developed by Dimps (the former LB/Garou team). Besides the 4 titles that were shown at the AOU, Dimps has been working on a 2D fighter for awhile now and Arc System Works is making a 2D shooter as well.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Shou-sama:
<strong>Atomiswave is really a modified Dreamcast. Sammy bought the remaining part of Sega's DC hardware to create this new hardware that was dubbed System X. All of the software titles so far are being developed by Dimps (the former LB/Garou team). Besides the 4 titles that were shown at the AOU, Dimps has been working on a 2D fighter for awhile now and Arc System Works is making a 2D shooter as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about the rest of you, but reading that just got me arroused

AOJ

Armored Scrum Object
Originally posted by Shou-sama:
<strong>Atomiswave is really a modified Dreamcast. Sammy bought the remaining part of Sega's DC hardware to create this new hardware that was dubbed System X. All of the software titles so far are being developed by Dimps (the former LB/Garou team). Besides the 4 titles that were shown at the AOU, Dimps has been working on a 2D fighter for awhile now and Arc System Works is making a 2D shooter as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shou-sama, what do you know about Sammy getting ex-SNK developing teams? I heard a while ago that AOF3's team was the responsable of Guilty Gear series ... is this true? Any you say about Garou/Last Blade team getting with Sammy too.

I need to know it! Maybe I will change to be a SNKNEOGEO and Sammy fan at same time :D

sha-v

Crossed Swords Squire
Aren't Dimps just the former NGPocket developer staff? (i count producers as non developer staff)

Nishiyama is President of Dimps
pic_nishiyama.jpg
(Executive Producer RB2, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Producer of KOF 94-99, RB, RBS,)
Matsumoto is Director (Executive Producer of LB1,LB2, Garou MOW, Producer RB, RBS, RB2, Sonic Pocket Adventure)
Kawanao is Director (KOF99, SS3, NG Cup98)
Kohno is Director (Producer Sonic Pocket Adventure)

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: sha-v ]</p>

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
what do you know about Sammy getting ex-SNK developing teams? I heard a while ago that AOF3's team was the responsable of Guilty Gear series ... is this true? Any you say about Garou/Last Blade team getting with Sammy too.<hr></blockquote>

Sammy is just acting as a publisher/distributor for Arc and Dimps while also providing the hardware for them. They did an excellent job in promoting and distributing with both GGX and GGXX so it looks like they're just moving forward a bit in the arcade scene.

Dimps was formed by the team behind AOF3/RBS/LB1-2/Garou and other ex-SNK employees. You can see that the head of the company is the guy who originally defected from Capcom to SNK back in the day. They do multi-platform development that includes Sonic Advance, the One Piece WSC fighter, the upcoming PS2 DBZ fighter and an MMORPG based on Gundam for PC.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
that site is awesome! I bookmarked the hell out of that site. Some very interesting material there.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
Didn't Dimps do Sonic Advance as well? I'm pretty sure. Anyway, about the mention of Sega available arcade hardware. Sega has Naomi(2), Triforce(Gamecube based), Chihiro(Xbox based), System 256(PS2 based) available for arcades. Triforce is already out and in arcades. The only title using it however I believe is Virtua Strikers which is pretty much the Gamecube version of the game. Aside from that, I think Sega has pretty much had all their arcade releases on Naomi hardware.

sha-v

Crossed Swords Squire
Originally posted by IoriYagami n8:
<strong>Didn't Dimps do Sonic Advance as well? I'm pretty sure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, they did Sonic Advance, too.