Otakon last call for systems!

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
This is just a reminder for those of you planning on attending Otakon in Baltimore. There are only 3 weeks left till the con and we are still in need of gaming systems. We have more than enough AES and MVS to go around, we are really looking for import PS2s more than anything. Also if anyone is willing to donate a supergun that is not NEO-only we would greatly appreciate it.

We offer a free badge for the weekend for those who donate but we are currently looking for the above systems specifically. If anyone has equipment and are willing to donate please contact me here: otakomp@aol.com

If anybody has questions feel free to email me as well.

Jeff Keely

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I'm just wondering... what do you mean by "donate"? I guess the owner gets his stuff back after this is finished, right? spock

Overkill Geyser

Ninja Combat Warrior
Amano Jacu:
I'm just wondering... what do you mean by "donate"? I guess the owner gets his stuff back after this is finished, right? spock
Yeah, they get it back when they get ready to go.

Unfortunately Jeff (and anyone else who was interested), i'm not gonna go. (MAN! This makes the SECOND Otakon i've missed... :mad: ) Sorry, but I need a car more than I need fun, anime chicks, and hard to find anime in my life... well, maybe not the anime chicks...

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
jeffkun34:
This is just a reminder for those of you planning on attending Otakon in Baltimore. There are only 3 weeks left till the con and we are still in need of gaming systems.
Hey, Jeff -- I was going to email you these questions, but I thought it might be better to post them here, just in case I'm not the only member wondering about this:

Can you summarize for us the proper procedure for "donating" a gaming system to Otakon? When and where should a donor meet with you at Otakon to make the donation? What measures are taken to ensure the security of the donated system? Has Otakon ever had a problem with physical abuse of controllers by attendees? How and when should a donor reclaim his donation? How does Otakon oversee the return of a donated item, and what steps are taken to make certain that donations are returned only to their owners? I'm considering donating a few things, and I just wanted to try to get my head around how the operation works.
jeffkun34:
We have more than enough AES and MVS to go around, we are really looking for import PS2s more than anything.
I take this to mean that Otakon has enough AES consoles and MVS cabinets/superguns, but are you in need of software and/or controllers for either AES or MVS? Are you in need of PS2 software, and if so which titles?

If you're in need of MVS carts, I have several Japanese titles available (FF, FF2, FFS, FF3, Quiz KOF, WHP, AoF3, and Kizuna), and I've also got a Japanese cartridge+motherboard for <a href="http://www.igs.com.tw/www/en/ac_mr.html" target="_blank">Xing-yi Quan</a> (Chinese title) -- aka, Shin'iken (Japanese title) or Martial Master (English title) -- by IGS (www.igs.com.tw). If Otakon has a spare cabinet that needs filling, I could bring that along as well (this motherboard is JAMMA-capable).
Overkill Geyser:
Unfortunately Jeff (and anyone else who was interested), i'm not gonna go.
Man, I'm sorry to hear you won't be there, OG -- nuts, another 1970s baby who won't be at Otakon (no offense to all you members born in the '80s, but the more attendees born in the '60s and '70s, the less likely I am to feel like an old geezer). I went ahead and updated the headcount in <a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=020568;p=3" target="_blank">AE86's Otakon thread</a>, to reflect OG's absence and insaneben's recently-announced attendance.

--Chris

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Good questions Dash! I did recieve your PM but I had no idea until now how detailed you wanted the info to be. Well, here it is broken down for you:

When and where should a donor meet with you at Otakon to make the donation?

Hall G of the Baltimore Convention Center anytime between 10am-3pm. All you have to do is come down and tell the gentleman watching the door that you are donating equipment and they will let you in.

What measures are taken to ensure the security of the donated system?

We have fan cooled lock boxes with there own AC outlets so the only thing sticking out are the controllers themselves. And even then we have small notches cut out so you can't try to steal a controller without ripping the plug-in connection off making it useless. I'm sure some of the other members could tell you how awesome our lockboxes are.

Has Otakon ever had a problem with physical abuse of controllers by attendees?

It has never been a serious issue. We have had a few controllers meet their end at the con but they were immediately replaced with new controllers. The con covers everything that is donated, that is one of the reasons why we pay insurance.

How and when should a donor reclaim his donation? How does Otakon oversee the return of a donated item, and what steps are taken to make certain that donations are returned only to their owners?

When you bring your items to be donated we have you fill out a form that itemizes your equipment.
This form also acts as a contract that states you receive a free weekend pass as long as you donate the listed items for the duration of the convention(4pm on Friday to noon on Sunday). It also states that while your equipment is donated it becomes the responsibility of Otakon to care for it and if anything should happen to that equipment while in our hands it will be replaced.
Once the form is filled out and signed we give you a copy for your records which is your pick up record as well. We simply go back to that form when you pick the equipment up and check everything off to ensure the donater gets the right equipment back.

We also have you label each item with your name using our label makers. If you wish we also have an etching tool you may use to ID your equipment.
THen, we mark which lockbox your equipment is going into for easy location when you come to pick it up.

Whew, enough typing for now! Just let me know if anyone else has any other questions.

Thanks

Jeff

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Thanks very much for the detailed response, Jeff!
jeffkun34:
When and where should a donor meet with you at Otakon to make the donation?

Hall G of the Baltimore Convention Center anytime between 10am-3pm. All you have to do is come down and tell the gentleman watching the door that you are donating equipment and they will let you in.
Hall G is, I take it, the location of the game room itself? By "10am-3pm" I'm assuming you mean on Thursday (August 7th), the day before the convention begins?

I have a Japanese PS2 that I'd be willing to donate, but are you also looking for PS2 software donations? if so, are there any titles in particular that you're looking for?

Do you have any need of the MVS carts (or Xing-Yi Quan motherboard) I mentioned previously? if not, are there other NEO software titles you'd still like to have in the game room that other members might be able to provide?

--Chris

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Hall G is the location of the game room but we do not need the systems on Thursday. We will be setting up on Thursday but it is not a requirment to bring your system then. Most of the donations we accept are taken Friday morning/early afternoon.

AS far as software goes we are in need of Soul Calibur II for both the GC and PS2. We could also use more copies of Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

I do not believe we are in need of any more MVS carts or the Xing-Yi Quan motherboard. Thanks for offering though!

Remember, just send me a detailed email stating what you are willing to donate and I will get back to you ASAP.

Off to work,

Jeff

Xenvu

Zero's Secretary
I've got soul calibur 2 for the gamecube and the import disk if you guys need it. I'll bring it with me on Friday.

<small>[ July 23, 2003, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Xenvu ]</small>

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Waiting for an e-mail response from you about the super gun Jeff. Btw my power supply problem has been fixed so everything runs well.
buttrock buttrock buttrock buttrock

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Be sure to sign up for the list on the Off topic board. We got a list of people going. It's my second year, and I can't wait to meet more REAL neo-geo fnas.

If you donate your system it will be in good hands. As was said before, all the systems go into this black box with a lock on it and a big fan so they won't overheat and nobody will steal it.

So hopefully we will have some good games going, and it will be a ton of fun! Hope to see you there!

matsukaze

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey guys,

I'd really love to go to Otakon this year, especially considering the strong Neo*Geo presence. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CLEAN AND (VERY) INEXPENSIVE PLACE I COULD STAY? It doesn't need to be in the same town... just reasonably close. Less than 30 minutes away is ok.

Jeffkun34, I was wondering, what prompted you guys to have more Neo Geo this year? This is really a good thing. Unless I'm mistaken, there was only one MVS last year and maybe one (or two?) home systems. Here's hoping you have SNK vs. Capcom and Samurai Shodown 2.

Dash no Chris, here's another child of the 70's who hopes to make it (I'm 29). If I make it, I hope to see you there.

Thanks,

Matsukaze

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Check out <a href="http://www.otakon.com" target="_blank">www.otakon.com</a> They list a bunch of hotels in walking distance of the con.
You could also probably head over to hotels.com and check out hotels in the Balitmore area for other options.

The weather is supposed to be good that weekend, so you could always go homeless for a few days and sleep in your car. :D

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
YuckMud:
Be sure to sign up for the list on the Off topic board. We got a list of people going. It's my second year, and I can't wait to meet more REAL neo-geo fnas.
Here's <a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=020568" target="_blank">the link</a> to the Unrelated Topics thread YuckMud mentioned. That's where the headcount's being maintained -- if you're going to Otakon and your name isn't on that list, please post in that thread asap. Otakon's coming up fast and we need to know who to look for when we all arrive.

While I'm at it, here're the other Otakon 2003 threads I've seen so far:

<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008450#000000" target="_blank">4/27/03</a> - Saturn Gamer's General Discussion thread "Neo gaming bliss!!! Aug. 8th, 9th & 10th in Baltimore, Md"
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008594#000000" target="_blank">5/08/03</a> - Saturn Gamer's General Discussion thread "@Shawn--->Otakon Advertising????"
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=009317#000004" target="_blank">6/24/03</a> - BAOBOY's General Discussion thread "Neo Geo Party in MD ?"
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=009351#000000" target="_blank">6/27/03</a> - YuckMud's General Discussion thread "East Cost Neo-Gathering at Otakon??"
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=021360#000000" target="_blank">7/23/03</a> - AE86's Unrelated Topics thread "Say it isn't so!!!"
<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=009795#000000" target="_blank">7/29/03</a> - JHendrix's General Discussion thread "Neo games at Otakon 2k3"
matsukaze:
I'd really love to go to Otakon this year, especially considering the strong Neo*Geo presence. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CLEAN AND (VERY) INEXPENSIVE PLACE I COULD STAY? It doesn't need to be in the same town... just reasonably close. Less than 30 minutes away is ok.
I'll see what info I can dig up for you. In the meantime, I know alot of the folks that are going are from New Jersey and Maryland. Can any of you recommend a hotel/motel for matsukaze?

matsukaze:
Dash no Chris, here's another child of the 70's who hopes to make it (I'm 29). If I make it, I hope to see you there.
Excellent -- another old geezer! I look forward to meeting you -- if you make it to Otakon, swing by the Hoteiya Las Vegas booth in the Dealers Room and we can mutter incoherently about "the kids these days" and "the way things used to be." :D

--Chris

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
matsukaze:
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CLEAN AND (VERY) INEXPENSIVE PLACE I COULD STAY? It doesn't need to be in the same town... just reasonably close. Less than 30 minutes away is ok.
Here's what I've found at <a href="http://www.motel6.com:" target="_blank">www.motel6.com:</a>

Motel 6
Baltimore - BWI Airport, Maryland
I-695 at Fairview Avenue/Hammonds Perry Road, Exit #8
5179 Raynor Avenue
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Phone: (410) 636-9070
Fax: (410) 789-0669

Rate: $47.59 or $55.99 per night

according to mapquest.com, this location is 6.51 miles (9 minutes) south-southwest of the Baltimore Convention Center.

Motel 6
Baltimore West, Maryland
I-695 at Security Boulevard/SR 122, Exit #17
1654 Whitehead Court
Baltimore, MD 21207
Phone: (410) 265-7660
Fax: (410) 944-0350

Rate: $45.99 per night

according to mapquest.com, this location is 11.13 miles (13 minutes) west of the Baltimore Convention Center.

And here's what I've found at <a href="http://www.redroof.com:" target="_blank">www.redroof.com:</a>

Red Roof Inn - BWI Airport
I-195 at Aviation Boulevard/SR 170, Exit #1-A
827 Elkridge Landing Rd
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Inn Phone: (410) 850-7600
Inn Fax: (410) 850-7611

Rate: $79.99-$84.99

according to mapquest.com, this location is 8.37 miles (12 minutes) south-southwest of the Baltimore Convention Center.

--Chris

Overkill Geyser

Ninja Combat Warrior
Guess what, boys and girls? Even though it's last minute, I WILL be at Otakon! So... are you guys meeting up anywhere, or anything like that? If so, where, and when? I'll be there from Thursday to Sunday. Hit me up!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Awesome overkill! More people are good! I'm gonna bump the topic in the off topic forum again, so you can tell everybody.

The only thing I rememeber was BAOBOY saying he wanted everybody to meet Friday afternoon at 1 PM at the Neo-Geo's in the game room.

We better decide somthing quick. My last day on here is wednesday. So decide on somthing.