lot of SNK PLAYMORE news

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
SNK PLAYMORE will bring a KOF' 2001 with 3D backgrounds (like KOF'99 EVO), in arcade on the 18 september of this year.

SNK VS CAPCOM is delayed to the july 24.

SNK PLAYMORE will be at the next TGS SHOW

Xstatic

n00b
So, first they change the release date of SvCC from july 20th to the 17th and now they delay it to the 24th? What's going on!?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
gozu+mezu:
SNK PLAYMORE will bring a KOF' 2001 with 3D backgrounds (like KOF'99 EVO), in arcade on the 18 september of this year.
I'm not concerned with the "how" but more as to the "why?"

Can't say I see the point in that, especially if it's still the same shite BG's.

gozu+mezu

Morden's Lackey
The news are from <a href="http://www.wahrun.tk" target="_blank">Wahrun</a>, a great arcade web magazine :D buttrock

and the TGS show s the Tokyo Game Show wink

maybe the 3d hardware will be the ATOMISWAVE, remember, KOF'99 EVO was on NAOMI GD, and ATOMISWAVE is just a cheap NAOMI GD from Sammy.

HPMAN

UI resident
KOF2001 is scheduled on PS2, if it goes 3D it would make sense to use sytem 246 (or another custom PS2 system)

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
gozu+mezu:
maybe the 3d hardware will be the ATOMISWAVE
That's a fascinating idea... Sammy crash-tested the Atomiswave by revamping a previous game and releasing GGX 1.5. Maybe SNK is thinking the same thing... KOF 2001.5! :D loco

This fits with rumors that KOF 2003 will be Atomiswave perfectly.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
KOF on new hardware, huh?

I REALLY hope Playmore knows what the hell they are doing. I would hate to see all those great SNK properties wasted on ANOTHER crap 3D game. SNK themselves didn't really know how to break into the 3D arena, let's hope these new programmers know how.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Atomiswave are cheap too... hmmm... if this is true, I see an Atomiswave in my future wink

-Nick

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
KOF2k3 on Atomiswave.... buttrock

If it's true, I will shed a tear of joy.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
JHendrix:

no offense intended

but you are lame

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Here's another yahoo on the possibility of Atomiswave:

Its cheap (relatively) and if it can handle GG games, then its more than welcome as a successor to MVS.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
KoF 3D = sacrilege.

I know that they're talking about backs a la KoF99 DC, but that's only the beginning.

KoF 3D does not work. Slug 3D does not work. End of story.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Honestly, if SNK was going to make a switch to a different system, I'd rather it be one they make themselves.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
What is the storage medium for the Atomiswave?

Discs, chips/boards, what?

BC_Gambit

Beni,
If SNK decides to switch to a system that they make themselves, they'll go bankrupt again.

I'd rather they go with something proven, supported by other developers, and easy to program for. Atomiswave/Naomi is all of these things (assuming atmomiswave performs as well as a naomi, without all that messing about with CD roms and what not).

SNK already tried to graduate to their own hardware from the MVS, and they failed. Simple as that, I'd rather not have their next failure cost them the company once and for all (since the people actually making these decisions will lose their jobs if the company goes under, I'm sure they're even more interested in doing the conservative thing than I am).

BC_Gambit

Beni,
here is the link:

Until someone shows me otherwise, I think this is cartridge based (which, considering the high failure rate of CD based devices, is welcome). I know the games are cartrige based for now, but a GD rom attachment would be an annoying possibility.

<a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Guilty_Gear_X__Ver._1.5_Kit_3026.html" target="_blank">http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Guilty_Gear_X__Ver._1.5_Kit_3026.html</a>

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: BC_Gambit ]</small>

xFinnPetersx

Crazed MVS Addict
RyoGeo:
What is the storage medium for the Atomiswave?

Discs, chips/boards, what?
<a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/screenshots/_7638.html" target="_blank">Rom Cartridge slot</a>

<a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/screenshots/ss_7639.html" target="_blank">Rom Cartridge</a>

I don't know what to really think about the KOF news. i'm 50/50. it's a cool upgrade but only that, if they can't start injecting some content/color/style into the 2d background they shouldn't change to 3d. they should hire new artists (or something) and get them working harder on KOF backgrounds. 2001's backgrounds really suck. Other than the character portraits (which you get used to and start to love) the backgrounds are the only thing that make the game irratating to play. i was somewhat unhapy when i first got it in the mail and saw the race track background and the snowy temple korea background (which looks better if you don't focus on the complete lack of any color but grey). but the fighting and cast are great. if they "fix" the backgrounds by going 3d i'm alright with it but they better do it right and not just change them to 3d, they have to add color & style to most of them.

Atomiswave looks pretty promising to me. as the only system other than neo i bother regularly playing is dreamcast, i feel the naomi/atomiswave/dreamcast are all sufficently powered to be a great platform for 2d fighters. while SFT:TS is on CPS3 it still uses a GD-ROM so i think they are related hardware wise. so if something can render/do the Street Fighter III series and Guilty Gear X, then it should be more than capable to work with neo games and possibly add some cool features (the only one i'd really care about would be nicer stereo sound).

ohh and i'm down to buy the atomiswave for other games but no way am i buying 2001 again. that's the real drawback i see, it may be a test for them... but how many people are gonna be interested in buying 2001 again (i would be slightly if there is no port of the new version planned)? not many i'd assume, unless the backgrounds are revolutionary. but... like that's gonna happen :rolleyes: .

*edit: has anyone heard anything or seen any write-ups of <a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Demolish_Fist_Kit_3179.html" target="_blank">Demolish Fist</a> (the "3d" beat-em-up on atomiswave).

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: xFinnPetersx ]</small>

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Fran:
JHendrix:

no offense intended

but you are lame
No offense (seriously), but I'd say the same thing to those who don't want to see a hardware upgrade.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Basically, for those who don't want a hardware upgrade, imagine if this was Slug 5:

<a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Dolphin_Blue_3333.html" target="_blank">http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Dolphin_Blue_3333.html</a>

mmm... drool worthy.

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: BC_Gambit ]</small>