Played SvC today in Tokyo!

Retaliator

Armored Scrum Object
I think they currently got only one single SvC machine here in Tokyo which is located at the Taito Station in Shibuya close to the JR train station.

Well, I entered ... and saw 20+ people gathering around the machine of course! So I got in line and meanwhile had a glance at whats going on:

Keep in mind that I dont care if the game has this and that possible infinite and/or this and that flaw/bug - I am mostly interested in the style, animation and background design.

So first of all I saw Tabasa, Earthquake and Hugo in action and ... man I was deeply impressed by the quality of the animation! Definitely MotW level! Earthquake is all new drawn afaik, Tabasa has a dozen of fabulously animated specials and Hugo is huuuuuuuge! That guy is the biggest sprite the Neo has ever seen - one head bigger than Earthquake and touching the life gauges with his head. He is tops animated as well :)

Then the good news end - Terry, Ryo, Ken and many others are just mediocre animated and feel simply ripped. crying Overall I would say KoF-level for the animation with exceptions (see above).

The backgrounds are not too special - obviously there are six of them, could be more, depending on the characters that are used and not all (not even 50 per cent) of them were used in the ca. 50 macthes I watched.

There are

- destroyed train station: Quite nice apocalyptic feel to it but almost no animation in it
- destroyed city: Must be one of the shittiest bgs I ever saw on the Neo, no further comment
- woods: very nice waterfall and animated water in the front, reminds me of Nakororu in SS2 and the LB woods levels
- castle ruins: O.K. but not too special as well, lacks animation
- crystal shrine: Has a blue giant grystal hovering in the center around some ancient ruins, nice
- number six - cant think of right now, more later

Then after around 1h of waiting I finally got to play a macth and chose Mr. Karate :D His red nose is muuuch longer than in AoF, otherwise its ... well basically Takuma from KoF. Gameplay felt nice and smooth in the 3 rounds I fought (lost 1:2 vs Kasumi - at least I won a round against a jp pro :cool: ).

Overall - this is definitely looking fine, cant wait to get the AES! Smooth first impression!

Ah and Shiki is soooooo lovely drool_2 - but only one guy took her and lost 2:0 without being able to pull off many of her moves so I could not see much :mad:

And no one took Mai - I would have loved to see her crying but I had no time to wait another hour back in line to choose her myself.

Edited for typos.

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Retaliator ]</small>

Overkill Geyser

Ninja Combat Warrior
Still, all in all, it was cool that you even got to see it! I wish I could go to Japan... :( Maybe someday... 'Til then, I guess anime conventions are gonna have to be my substitute... (Next stop, Otakon!)

ray_7

lucky you!

i'm planning on going to singapore this july (svc release date) to play this game on the arcades!!! can't wait!!!

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
Did a lot of the Japanese tend to be boring and pick Kyo, Iori and Terry a lot? I know at the NEo Geo Land playtest it was those 3 who got used the most (and were overpowered to say the least make_fac !)

Freelancer

Banned
You sir, are a lucky man!

Thanks for the mini-review! I am definitely looking forward to this one!

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I thought there were 7 backgrounds:

-The trainyard
-The destroyed city
-The waterfall
-The woods (with the fallen tree, not the above waterfall)
-The Crystal Shrine
-The ruined castle/church
-And the last one with giant tubes in the background(can't describe it any better than this)

And I remember seeing a pic of a fight taking place in front of a chain-link fence. Do the backgrounds slightly change from round to round?

Any of you lucky guys in Japan care to elaborate/correct me on this?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
AARRRGGGHHH!

You lucky bastard. I had to leave Tokyo for the weekend. I missed out on the loke test.

I'm going to have to try and find that machine you played on!

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Buro Destruct:
I thought there were 7 backgrounds:

-The trainyard
-The destroyed city
-The waterfall
-The woods (with the fallen tree, not the above waterfall)
-The Crystal Shrine
-The ruined castle/church
-And the last one with giant tubes in the background(can't describe it any better than this)

And I remember seeing a pic of a fight taking place in front of a chain-link fence. Do the backgrounds slightly change from round to round?

Any of you lucky guys in Japan care to elaborate/correct me on this?
Both forest ones you're thinking of are the same i think.

There's also the Courtyard with the fire pit [vs shin goki or shin mr karate] and the Platform level that moves down the tunnel, etc [vs 'shin' ken or orochi iori]

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
AAARRRGGGHHH AGAIN!

I found the Shibuya Taito Game Center, but the SVC Chaos machine is already gone! I couldn't play it.

sigh.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
backgrounds =

1. parthenon looking place with jesus and crystal
2. brazier and big lion statues in front of temple, where you fight shin gouki and super mr karate..
3. the forest with waterfall and deer
4. the big platform on wheels with chain link fence and plasma tvs
5. the starwarsesque big spinning machine in the background and huge hugo size cable hanging from the roof
6. the ruined refinery and ruined city behind it level
7. the ruined train station (kof 98?) level
8. inside the castle level with the birds and stained glass windows...

these are all the backgrounds that are available now...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A question to you ppl that have played the game/seen it in action:

What version of Takuma is in SvCC? Does he have his Hien Shippuu Kyaku (charge db,f+K), the Haou Shikou Ken (f,hcf+P) and visible projectiles or is it that stinking shit version of KoF2k2?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
A question to you ppl that have played the game/seen it in action:

What version of Takuma is in SvCC? Does he have his Hien Shippuu Kyaku (charge db,f+K), the Haou Shikou Ken (f,hcf+P) and visible projectiles or is it that stinking shit version of KoF2k2?
Well I hope it's the Takuma from 98 in there...

BTW, where's GEEEEEEEESE ? smirk

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
im sure i posted it before... but

he is 98 minus the rush super.
+ dp
+ dp super

his exceed is the three giant fireballs like the end of his 98 rush sdm.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
beelzebubble:
im sure i posted it before... but

he is 98 minus the rush super.
+ dp
+ dp super

his exceed is the three giant fireballs like the end of his 98 rush sdm.
Thanks a lot man, good to hear that.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
honeyman:
Did a lot of the Japanese tend to be boring and pick Kyo, Iori and Terry a lot? I know at the NEo Geo Land playtest it was those 3 who got used the most (and were overpowered to say the least make_fac !)
From when I went, everyone was using Iori, Shiki, and Kim. They had them down so well that they had to limit the number of victories to 10.

I did own a couple people with Earthquake, though.

<small>[ June 24, 2003, 03:21 AM: Message edited by: eight one ]</small>

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
jeez-
i'm fucking dying to play this-
one-on-one is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad-ass-
terry vs. genjuro!
ken vs. shiki!
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
can you change characters between matches like in 2000? and is it also a team or singles matchup.

O

O C

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww gaaaaaaaw its been a long time baby....I missed it all god damn!

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Duque: Nope. Old-school best of three is where it's at. None of that striker shit.

Terry is cool this time around. Haven't seen any major combos from him yet, but there are a few decent ones for him....for now...

Ryu, Not exactly the same since one of the more familiar parts of his repetoire (the knockdown sweep) is gone!! Aside from that, a solid character to play as. Ken? Maybe a just a wee bit more face time than Ryu. Gouki? Don't go there..... shame

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Ryu, Not exactly the same since one of the more familiar parts of his repetoire (the knockdown sweep) is gone!!
he still has it.. as does ken, try df+HK. d and db+HK are his med.