King of Fighters 2000 review posted

Tokyo Drifter

Rugal's Thug
I personally think 2000 is way better than 99, but that may be just me. The use of the many strikers makes this a whole new experience. I have to agree that 98 is the best.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Great review, DigiPunk. Just finished reading it, and it was very well written!
biggrin.gif

I agree in particular that the aquarium stage looks like utter crap . . . an 8-year-old could have done a better job that that one! Its a shame that the stages don't exceed the KOF99 ones, in particular it would have been nice to have one at or above the level of the KOF99 rain stage. But based on the status of SNK during production of KOF2K, I'm not surprised . . . I'll bet the really good artists that worked on 99 had already left by the time KOF2K production was going ahead. It definitely shows in the game. I still like KOF2K a lot, and am not sorry I got it.

Lets hope that if there are future titles like LB3, SS5, or MS4, that they are up to the quality level of their predecessors!! Although based on the state of SNK/Aruze, I'm pretty doubtful . . .

S

Silent_Scope

Personally I think 96 & 99 are the best.
98 isn't my cup of tea.
2000 is another story. Quite different from previous games but it's fun to play. I can't say it's the best but it's above average.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK,
I am the only person here who has not played KOF 2000 yet
frown.gif
I have to agree though, I love KOF 96... that is actually my favorite... hmmm, 99 is good, but the dreamcast version satisfies me, so I will probably never buy the MVS cart.

-Nick

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
You're not the only one that hasn't played 2000. I haven't found a place that has it. I probably wont be able to play it till I buy the MVS, which would be when it comes down to $100 bucks.
My favorite KOF has to be 99. I have 96 on MVS and I dont think it's that fun. Sure it is fun, but I prefer 99 better.

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
I have just received KOF2000, and I am less than dissapointed. I think it was a complete waste of megs and MY MONEY! The few new characters are all very lame, except for Kula, which is very well animated. You can also feel that there are frames missing when compared to '99 and '98.
Weird thing: I inserted the cart for the first time, the screen flickered in green patches, it said something about "MVS slot 1 check", and I didn't have music. Was it just wrongly inserted into the Neo?

For fighting I'll just stick to KOF'99 and Garou.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
I had some problems with my KOF 2000 cart too. Only when I got the cart, the music turned into a white noise sound. Music, sound effects, everything went to a scrambled static sound. Picture was fine, the sound was just fried. Thankfully, I got a replacment cart, but I thought that was weird. I've been buying carts since I got the system 10 years ago, and this was the first time that happened.

Anyway, about the review, it was very well written! I don't necessarily agree with every point in it, but it was a good read nonetheless. As far as my opinion on KOF 2000, I'm very pleased with it. Hinako is a fruity character, but other than her, I like the new characters. The backgrounds aren't as top notch as some in previous installments, but you have to admit, that fan in the industrial background looks pretty nice.

JoeHigashi

n00b
i think KOF2000 is great:

i wish i could afford to have it on my MVS, i think it is way better than KOF99, and you complain about the backgrounds why? haven't you seen that sand level? i think thats on par with the KOF99 rain level.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Yeah no kidding...i think all the backgrounds are wicked sick...especially the street level at night, and actually, i thought that the aquariam looked fantastic.

Tokyo Drifter

Rugal's Thug
Any 94 fans here? Maybe because it was the first one out and I played it day and night at arcades that I really rank it high on my chart. Or maybe it's just Heavy D!

I guess that's the cool thing about the various KOF's is that lots of people have different favorites. My top 3: 1)KOF 98 2)KOF 94 3) KOF 2000

Sure to cause disagreement I'm sure.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Well, after spending a LOT of time with KOF 2000, I have come to grips that it's a fun game and that it actually surpasses KOF '99 for gameplay reasons, but I wouldn't rank it past my favorites which are currently KOF '98 and '96.

So, my personal ranking for the KOFs are:
'98, '96, '00, '99, '94, '95, '97

BTW... Blue Mary is the TOTAL BOMB in KOF 2000... TRULY devastating.
biggrin.gif

S

Silent_Scope

My personal rank is
99 (dreamcast version), 2000, 96
95 & 97 sux
98 is okay (I have Dreamcast version)

I

Iori

Bad Mofo, Weird, I had that same message too, guess I wasn't pushing the cart in enough or something.
Viney, just something else to nag at you about besides the PS team, how dare you put 97 at the bottom. Orochi is a badass.

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Hey,

Nice review. I got a question, on the pictures you see 3characters at same time, is there a mode that you can play with two characters against one? Like Street Fighter Alpha 3 Dramatic Battle?

Cho

kyo3.jpg

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I agree w/ alot of what the reviewer said. I have yet to play Lin, though. Not one of my favorites--Vaness, however, is. Speaking of which, my current list of KOF titles in order of prefernce are:

1. KOF 96
2. KOF 99
3. KOF 98/97
4. KOF 95
5. KOF 2000
6. KOF 94

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
WOW, after all the anticipation in these forums, the general sentiment seems to be mixed. It is surprising to me, probably since I've been playing KOF2000 in the arcades since October, that some of us are kind of let down by it. To me, the game is just like every other Neo game I have ever bought, an arcade exact version of an arcade game. I first saw KOF2000 in the arcade right about the time I got back into the Neo (after 2 or so years out of the Neo collecting scene) and I loved it. In my opinion, after owning all the best in 2D Dreamcast games (SFIII, Mvs.C2 etc.)It seemed really cutting edge (After MOTW of course). I wonder what the mood in these forums would have been if all of us had had time with KOF2000 in the arcade before we purchased it?

[This message has been edited by neobuyer (edited January 12, 2001).]

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
too many newcomers

otherwise it just would not be possible to explain why kof 94 and 95 are SO under rated

its cos you were not there when they came out

if your first kof was 98 or 99

and then and only then you discovered the previous kofs,then fair cop to you

but 94 and 95 are,
put simply,genius

from 99 onwards kof turned into something else

the strikers,no team mates in the bg.....
thats bollox
they thought it was a step forward,
but are we sure?

you can laugh till you want,
but the fact that you couldnt edit your teams in 94 was not that bad

cos you HAD to master each and every character,you really felt...

say...a connection with the various teams,
if that makes any sense at all?

cos they WERE together,
you couldnt fuckin put geese and terry in the same team,its wicked i agree,
but come on,
it just isnt very realistic

and plus every team had its own background
that added a lot of personality to the game

so i was truly disappointed with 97...

i basically think the kof saga is divided in 3 chapters

94 / 95

they're still GREAT to play
95 is basically 94 improved,
only regret the damage is set tooo high

try heidern and his moon slasher or whatever its called while you're enraged and then you'll know what i mean

also,a 3 hit combo is enough to dizzy the opponent and then you can repeat it and its over,perfect

way hey

the second "era" includes 96,97 and 98

they changed everything in 96,
great game,some of the best bgs EVER
but it is just NOT fun to play
not very combo-friendly,
only good for the eyes

97 ought to be the worst kof for me so far
horrible backgrounds,
it really has this...
"i'm not kof 98,not yet..." feel

you can understand they're aiming high,
but that they are not there yet

the story's splendid and shermie is a fit fit fit fox

98 is the best
the characters,the bgs,the combos,
the music,this game's shit-hot,
mai and her pink outfit,
the best winning pose ever...
perfection

last phase

99 and 2k

radically different from 98

99 i thought it was shite till i bought it

now when i go back to the previous kofs i'm like,they're kinda boring without the strikers !
kiddin aside

99 is a grower,deffo

it took me a while to get into it,
never happened before,
usually its love or hate at first sight

but now i like it,i like it loads
and the rain stage......
well....gorgeous

kof 2000 i wont say a thing
not seen anything yet

it should be in me clutches pretty soon

tomorrow,next monday
fuck knows

me mates been telling me its shit

"the ability to call the strikers whenever you want is great,but joe and seth are simply too much,whoever bug tested the game was stuck in acid,
its clear the real members of the kof team left before it was completed,
and to add injury,
many little things from 99 were left out,
its a shame,a shame...blah blah blah.."

so i dunno

i kinda trust 'em

cant wait to try it

and...er...yeah...fuck guilty gear x

D

DigiPunk

First off,

Fran is the bomb-shit. He hits the nail on the head and tells it like it is. I like that.

Boy, when you get a bunch of Neo freaks together and talk KoF, you get a shotgun blash of opinion -it goes everywhere-

I have to admit, I was with KoF '94 in the early days, but wasn't in the Neo scene during '95-98.

My fave KoFs in order:

KoF '98
KoF '99
KoF '96
KoF 2K
KoF '97
KoF '95
KoF '94

2K will probably move up the list in a year or so. I remember when I first played '99 I thought it was crap cuz of the 3 Kyo clones.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
way hey

cheers

i'm blushin

still cant bloody get me head round the fact that i and only i dig kof 94

i must be gettin old and all that,what?

Tokyo Drifter

Rugal's Thug
KOF 98 on DC was ass in my opinion. The fact that the music restarted with each new character totally kills the frantic pace of the battle. The cart version is where the action is at. The fact that you had a ton of characters AND had the option to play the variant styles of many of the characters truly elevates that title. Plus Heavy D returns
smile.gif

I agree with Fran that 94 is super underated. Like I said in my earlier posts, I played 94 to death in the arcades. That's why it's # 2 on my list. Plus the music in the arcade version is still among the best the series has ever had. Although the CD version suffered from the usual long loads, the arranged music was simply out of this world and complemented the cart arrangement well. In case anyone did not know, Athena's stage in the CD version has her singing the Psycho Soldier theme song.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
Read my review of KoF2000 in the "Review section" of this website. I am open to opinions on how to make my reviews better. Any feedback is welcome!

Bryan -FUCK NGF-

marsteam

, Typey McTypes-a-Lot,
...hmmm... I may be the only one who has '94 as #1 on my list!
I do like '95 on SegaSaturn, tho. ROM cart = 2 second loading times, baby!

------------------
HaohShohKohKen!