More Breakthrough News from NCS... thank God

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Hopefully this will put to rest all doubt and those who see it will verify.

Would NCS call it official on NGF's word alone? I think not. Check today's update.

>>>>
The official USA version of King of Fighters 2000 will be made available for general sale next week. Pricing is set at US$529. The high cost is unfortunate but USA Neo Geo purists may be inclined to purchase this version over the Japanese edition of the game. Inquiries may be directed to ncsx@email.msn.com.
>>>>

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Is NCS selling the same cart as NGF with the www.neogeofreak.com url on the back or is it a clean, unmolested US insert? I am anxiously awaiting a reply from NCS. If it has the url, I don't want it. Otherwise, it looks like I will have to fork over $529 to NCS despite having the Japanese cart already. This hobby is turning out to be more expensive and addictive than crack.

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
I'm sure its the exact same as the version NGF is selling, since they are buying their stock from NGF.

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

I SEE NOTHING ON NCS PAGE STATEING ANYTHING LIKE THIS...........

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I don't see what problem this NGF URL poses if the game is official, which it obviously is. They are the distributor of this game and they apparently did a lot of a work to get SNK to make this, why not give them credit for it?

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Originally posted by DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL:
I SEE NOTHING ON NCS PAGE STATEING ANYTHING LIKE THIS...........

Hit the refresh button on your browser.

NGF indeed deserves some credit for getting SNK to make a US KOF2K. However, in my opinion, NGF merchandise will not retain their value in an auction and in fact will devalue significantly over time. NGF is still viewed with disdain by the majority of the NEO GEO afficionados and that translates to less demand in the open market.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I think that is probably why they sold to NCS in the first place. However what confuses the hell out of me is why if NCS can offer them for $529 they just did not sell them at that much to begin with. makes no sense, unless they were looking at lossing major money becuase no one would buy from them and sold to NCS in order to avoid getting into big finicial problems. I still will not get it though.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I think the only way to prove whether or not NCS is selling an SNK or NGF US cart is for someone to actually shell out the bucks and get a cart from NCS.

To be honest, I really don't think NCS will get many orders for the US version... $332 was pushing it for the Japanese version... this new price is just downright outrageous. I don't need to know the supposed "storyline" of KOF2K THAT badly. And if I did, I can read an FAQ to find out. That costs nothing.

And for you collectors? KOF2K, regardless of the language of the paper, will make its money if auctioned off on eBay. Don't try to fool yourself by thinking that the more you spend on a "rare" item, the more you'll get back in return when you sell it. Just ask those collectors of certain limited edition commemorative plates about that one...

Regardless, I would find it shocking if they are actually selling NGF carts... it's gotta be on consignment or something!
biggrin.gif

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Wan-Fu: The thing is this is NOT NGF merchandise. NCS selling this pretty much proves NGF wasn't lying about SNK making this cart. NGF is just basically reselling this.

And I beleive the reason NCS wasn't selling these carts before was because they were unsure of the authenticity. Now they've had enough time to check with SNK of Japan.

NCS is offering them at an unbeatable price. I think this is the perfect time for those that were considering a US kof2000 before to get one. And about them maintaining value, I'm certain they will. AT a retail price for $530+, only die hard collectors will buy them, and die hard collectors won't turn around and sell them on ebay two weeks later. I think once these things are sold out, they will become another hard to find title.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
My suggestion to everyone is to email NCS directly and ask them where these carts are coming from if you are convcerned. If you do not wish to get the US version because it came from NGF, let them know that.

The point is, let NCS know how you feel! They listen to their customer base. If you are happy with what is being done (Should we ask NGF why the $60 rip off factor?), let NCS know that, if you are not, tell them so!

------------------
Keith

mmlink.gif

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I just called NCS, and they were very vague on where this "English" cart came from. When I brought up the fact that NCS themselves posted on their web site that "no English version" was being made, the woman I spoke with stated that they found out about it after the game was released. ??? I tried to find out if the game was the version offered by neogeofreak, but again, I got no definitive answer. Basically, she stated she would not have more information until the cart actually comes in, which should be sometime next week. In other words, I got nowhere with my phone call.

[This message has been edited by TMOSteel (edited January 04, 2001).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Hmm. I am going to e-mail ncsx right now. They have always returned my e-mails in due time, and explianed my question w/ clarity, so I might as well. I really don't want to spend $500+ unless I know the details of this cart.

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Originally posted by Force:
Wan-Fu: The thing is this is NOT NGF merchandise. NCS selling this pretty much proves NGF wasn't lying about SNK making this cart. NGF is just basically reselling this.

And I beleive the reason NCS wasn't selling these carts before was because they were unsure of the authenticity. Now they've had enough time to check with SNK of Japan.

NCS is offering them at an unbeatable price. I think this is the perfect time for those that were considering a US kof2000 before to get one. And about them maintaining value, I'm certain they will. AT a retail price for $530+, only die hard collectors will buy them, and die hard collectors won't turn around and sell them on ebay two weeks later. I think once these things are sold out, they will become another hard to find title.

I maintain that the US KOF2K is NGF merchandise as it bares their name on the back of the insert. The fact that SNK produced the cart is interesting but not enough to make up for the NGF stigma. Had SNK produced a cart with a barcode in place of the NGF label specifically for overseas distributers, I would definitely get one as would many others. Instead, we are left with a ruined product that most people do not want.

I am still waiting to see if NCS got their stock from NGF but if they did, this would be further evidence that NGF cannot move their merchandise and need the help of a reputable business to do this.

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
I've seen you guys discuss this topic since I first came here. Can someone tell me what the difference between the US and Jap. version is??
I mean, wouldn't someone rather pay $300for the Jap. version, than pay $500+ for the US??
That's about a $200 dollar difference. I would much rather save $200 dollars, unless I was getting something that was almost totally different.

So if someone could explain why pay the extra $200 for the US cart, this "newbie" would very much appreciate it.

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

[This message has been edited by Maxim (edited January 04, 2001).]

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
For anyone questioning the nature of the "USA" KOF 2000 home cart, I suggest you send an email to NCS at: ncsx@email.msn.com asking for more details about the cart.

I already sent one, specifically asking if this "USA" version has the ugly www.NeoGeoFreak.com URL on the back cover. I told them that if it did, I wasn't interested (I already have the Japanese cart anyway). $529 is 60% higher than the $332 Jap cart, which itself was 24% higher than we used to pay ($268) for new home carts from NCS in the past.

Does this mean the KOF2K home cart is legitimate? Maybe, probably even. Does it mean that a lot of people will now buy it, since NCS is offering it? Not me, and from what I've heard, not many others either. The ugly URL ruins the cart, I'd never want mine to have that on it. The insert looks OK, especially the larger screenshots on the back, but that isn't enough to tilt the scale.

Everyone who cares at all, send an email to the above address (its the one NCS noted for questions about the cart) and express how you feel, one way or the other. For me, if its the same one we've already seen here, I'll pass.

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
>>>>
I am still waiting to see if NCS got their stock from NGF but if they did, this would be further evidence that NGF cannot move their merchandise and need the help of a reputable business to do this.
>>>>

???
Maybe maybe not, but isn't that kinda missing the point? I think the fact that NCS is stocking the english version for those who want it is FANTASTIC! I think those who want it should buy it and show their support for future english releases, thats the most important thing here. NCS did find out about it after the Japanese version (why did they charge people's cards for the jap version early? hmmm) and yes it is coming from Neogeofreak. NCS has known all along SNK Japan made this cart. If we can get NCS to sell out of the english version, then for the next release they will feel safe in preordering a large stock from NGF, who will be able to order more from SNK Japan in larger quantity so they can be sold at lower prices (on par with the jap version).

All you people who wanted the English cart but wouldn't risk dealing with NGF now have another option. I think that's great... more options for everyone.

Its easy to see why they were hesitant about telling you where they are getting them. Why tell people "we got it from NGF" just so you can post everywhere that its a bogus NGF product, bringing away customers? Common sense.

John

[This message has been edited by Geddon_jt (edited January 04, 2001).]

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
Chimp, if you are so happy with your Japanese version, why do you feel the need to participate in every english related thread?

The English 2k is REAL, and the only thing you are doing by emailing NCS is discouraging them from participating in stocking the english version of the next game. (I have a feeling they will sell out in no time despite emails from people who wouldn't buy it regardless). NCS got confirmation from SNK about this cart. They didnt just take NGF's "word" for it, they aren't stupid.

"E-mail NCS telling them that you will never buy the english version because the URL is ugly and ruins the insert."

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

For those of you who care about the neo and NOT about the stupid petty politics, email NCS SUPPORTING their efforts to bring their customers more options (even if you aren't buying the game). Those who buy the game are taking it to the next level. And next time, they will feel confident in stocking and selling official English versions of the next home release at even better prices.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Actually Geddon, I think its you that are missing the point. The POINT is that the "USA" version has the ugly "www.NeoGeoFreak.com" URL on the back, which ruins the value of the cart. You don't seem to understand that, you seem to me more than willing to jump into bed with them. Thats fine, thats your choice, but you don't seem to get it that NGF rep is crap here and in most of the Neo community, at least the diehard ones. People here don't TRUST THEM ANYMORE, THAT IS THE POINT. The damage is DONE, its from years of sh*tty business practices, and it CAN'T BE REVERSED.

Just out of curiousity Geddon, what did YOU pay for your "USA" KOF2K cart? $330? $559? $590? Free?

You seem to be really gung-ho for NGF, and you also seem to have conveniently forgotten their past business practices. Thats fine for you, but for the people who have been cheated, ripped off, shipped substandard product, talked down to, its not fine.

Keep your "NGF" KOF2K. If thats the only way future English carts can come (if there are any), I'll pass. And so will a lot of other people.

Rather than raving about how GREAT NGF is, you should be finding a DIFFERENT company to manage English releases, one that is REPUTABLE and RELIABLE. Then maybe people would be willing to support future English releases . . . but until then, forget it!!!!

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Geddon_jt,

If NGF were a reputable company like NCS, I bet most people would not care that their URL is printed on the insert. If you put that cart up on ebay, do you think you will get back what you paid for? The same as the Japanese one even? The fact is that most people avoid the words "NGF" like the plague. If I get tired of this hobby, I want some assurance that I will get a reasonable part of my investment back.

As a person who has already bought the US version from NGF, you must realize that the only way you can get your money back on this cart is for people to buy out the remaining stock, thereby making it "rare" somehow. Well, I think they will eventually sell out but I doubt they will become desirable unless NGF transforms their image and gets acceptance from the NEO community.

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
>>>>Actually Geddon, I think its you that are missing the point. The POINT is that the "USA" version has the ugly "www.NeoGeoFreak.com" URL on the back, which ruins the value of the cart.
>>>>

No, that's not the POINT. How many times do I have to say I'm not telling anyone to buy or support NGF? I'm just trying to validate english KOF 2k's authenticity, and it's now beyond a shadow of a doubt proven that it was made and assembled 100% in japan by SNK of Japan, and that is what makes a cart "legitimate" - NGF logo or not. Value is irrelevant and subjective.

>>>>
... that NGF rep is crap here and in most of the Neo community, at least the diehard ones. People here don't TRUST THEM ANYMORE, THAT IS THE POINT.
>>>>

No, thats not the point. See above.

>>>>
Just out of curiousity Geddon, what did YOU pay for your "USA" KOF2K cart? $330? $559? $590? Free?
>>>>

Again, completely irrelevant. I'm sure you have many creative ideas or innuendos in mind for whatever I tell you I paid so I won't indulge you with an answer.

>>>>
You seem to be really gung-ho for NGF, and you also seem to have conveniently forgotten their past business practices. Thats fine for you, but for the people who have been cheated, ripped off, shipped substandard product, talked down to, its not fine.
>>>>

If NGF is the only organization who has the power/money/connections to bring us neo fans official English carts, then so be it. Yes, many see dealing with them directly as a risk. So, how can NCS stocking this cart be perceived as a bad thing? Now the only thing people have a right to be apprehensive about it the price. And thats perfectly fine, I think the price is rediculous too. But, there is a reason these carts cost so much.

>>>>
Rather than raving about how GREAT NGF is
>>>>

Please direct me to a post where I ever raved about how great NGF is. And, while you're looking, when you come across one of the fifty or so posts I made where I specifically said I wasn't addressing NGF's reputation or endorsing people to buy from them, let everyone know.

>>>>
you should be finding a DIFFERENT company to manage English releases, one that is REPUTABLE and RELIABLE.
>>>>

The day you front five figures for a custom run of English carts I will publicly applaud you. Or anyone else. happy?

>>>>
Then maybe people would be willing to support future English releases . . . but until then, forget it!!!!
>>>>

So you're precious anti-NGF crusade is more valuable to you then having more options and games available for the neogeo system?

Rediculous.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Originally posted by Geddon_jt:
???
Maybe maybe not, but isn't that kinda missing the point? I think the fact that NCS is stocking the english version for those who want it is FANTASTIC!

>>>Why didn't they stock it in the first place? Why did they post a disclaimer on their sight stating that the was "no English version" being made?

I think those who want it should buy it and show their support for future english releases, thats the most important thing here. NCS did find out about it after the Japanese version (why did they charge people's cards for the jap version early? hmmm) and yes it is coming from Neogeofreak.

>>>What is your confirmation that it is coming from Neogeofreak? Even NCS won't say where it's coming from. I'm just curious what your source is.

NCS has known all along SNK Japan made this cart.

>>>Again, if they knew, why wasn't it offerred from day 1, and why didn't they say so on their site? Too many questions...

If we can get NCS to sell out of the english version, then for the next release they will feel safe in preordering a large stock from NGF, who will be able to order more from SNK Japan in larger quantity so they can be sold at lower prices (on par with the jap version).

>>>If they felt safe about it in the first place, I think they would sold it to begin with. I know enough of us either e-mailed or called them directly or did both to inquire about an English cart. Besides, they had posted the option to pre-order the cart months before anyone knew the language of the cart. They had all the "numbers" they would have needed to determine the demand for this game in whatever language was available.

All you people who wanted the English cart but wouldn't risk dealing with NGF now have another option. I think that's great... more options for everyone.

Its easy to see why they were hesitant about telling you where they are getting them. Why tell people "we got it from NGF" just so you can post everywhere that its a bogus NGF product, bringing away customers? Common sense.

John

[This message has been edited by Geddon_jt (edited January 04, 2001).][/B]

>>>If the game was 100% SNK made, packaged and produced by them in an ENGLISH format, I could care less where I got it from, or whom.

All we can do is wait and see and hope they post images of the cart, front and back, for comparison.

[This message has been edited by TMOSteel (edited January 04, 2001).]

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Originally posted by Geddon_jt:
No, that's not the POINT. How many times do I have to say I'm not telling anyone to buy or support NGF? I'm just trying to validate english KOF 2k's authenticity, and it's now beyond a shadow of a doubt proven that it was made and assembled 100% in japan by SNK of Japan, and that is what makes a cart "legitimate" - NGF logo or not. Value is irrelevant and subjective.

I beg to differ with your comment about value being irrelevant and subjective. As I mentioned in my other post, the true value of this cart would ride on how much it could fetch via a public auction like ebay. It is my opinion that the NGF label would cause it to fetch subtantially less than what you paid for it.

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
>>>>
I beg to differ with your comment about value being irrelevant and subjective. As I mentioned in my other post, the true value of this cart would ride on how much it could fetch via a public auction like ebay. It is my opinion that the NGF label would cause it to fetch subtantially less than what you paid for it.
>>>>

Yes, WanFu, you may or may not be right. When I said "irrelevant" I meant as pertaining to my argument that the value of this cart really has little to do with my belief that we should support NCS' decision to sell these English carts.

If the value plummets, it might have some bearing or relevance in the future... but how that turns out is anyone's guess.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
My only comment on the thread... for now, anyhow.
smile.gif

If by chance the cart that NCS is selling is INDEED from NGF, then that WOULD mean a more reliable means for getting newer and future games... which is good. I'll always buy from NCS, for they have haven't let me down with anything I ever purchased from them.

However, the downside to all of this is that all future games will be literally double (if not triple) the price, all because NGF would be the only outlet for US games, and possibly newer games. There's no way they can justify the $200+ hike in price per cart just for English writing on the interts, sticker and the manual. And with systems like the DC that can do 95%-100% perfect translations of SNK games, it all makes the price increase that much more unnecessary.

I can see myself paying up to $300 for a brand new Neo Geo game once or twice a year... but I would NEVER pay more than $350 for ANY game for the Neo Geo. It's not the fact that I can't afford it... there's just a limit of unfrivilous spending that I would do.

It's just common sense really... after a while, "love" has to take second place to "sensibility". And it's not sensible to spend $500+ on a home cart... period.

OK... now back to your scheduled Neo Forum.
biggrin.gif

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
This should be the FINAL argument as to it being legit or not. What more proof can one ask for? As for it being the NGF version, I'm sure it is. (Disto'ed by NGF, made by SNK).

As to the value of it, etc, etc, that is all up to the Neo player, but as I have stated before, everyone knows US carts are worth more, and they do look nicer if you have a US game collection
wink.gif