Some thoughts on SNK today.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Hello everyone!

Here we are, 2001, and many of us are worried about the fate of our favorite and most respected game devevloper. We don't want to see them die, and we we still want to keep on playing their art.

The truth may be that SNK is nearing the end of it's stretch, and I still have hope, but this may very well be the case. Yes, this would really be a loss, but I think many of us have forgotten about what SNK has achived in the past 12 years.

SNK was never a company to "sell out". They took their time making games for arcades and the proud few that own a home system. They always focused on the "Hardcore" gamer, never cutting corners to "Make a street date", or "Give the masses what they want, so we can keep going to the bank". They always have had integrity, intellegence, and an educated artistic beauty to each and almost every game.

They have always introduced some of the greatest characters, games, ideas, and artwork that wasn't made for "Doug" down the street. They were made for us. People who understood the hard work and talent that went into each title. People who see ther work as art and not just another fix. They gave us games that we still play today. Not just because we love SNK, but because these games are made to last, and stand the test of time. Wonderful gameplay, art, music and character.

So what does all this mean to me? If SNK truly shuts is eyes forever, I can't be that dissapointed. SNK gave me some of the greatest memories of my life! The time spent with friends and loved one's over Samurai Spirits 2, the long marathons of the Metal Slug series, the hours of enjoying SNK soundtracks. The list goes on. The small company of SNK, against the commercial publishers and developers, has made a mark on us all, and we should never forget that. Thank you SNK, where ever life might take you.

------------------
"The un-examined life, is a life not worth living"

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
I agree with you!
biggrin.gif
Your thoughts are a nice way of putting a positive spin on the loss of SNK.
frown.gif
I guess we should be glad we got as much terrific artwork, character design, and gameplay as we did.
biggrin.gif
The thing that keeps me hopeful is the really important part of any company is the PEOPLE. And I would like to think that the artists, musicians, game designers, and programmers that worked at SNK and learned from each other are out there somewhere ready to make more gaming magic. I would like to think that cinematic games with out game play will grow tiresome and we will get some great PLAYING games on other systems. The Gameboy Advance has great potential. The Neo Geo has had a great run and most of us still have a few new games to get or try.
biggrin.gif
Take care and thanks for your thoughts!
biggrin.gif

------------------
pul_introgirlrun.gif

Robert

20 Year Member
I totally agree with you.SNK has never chosen the facility and it is unique for a game companie.

C

Caris Nautilus

Dude do you guys accually know what goes on in japan? SNK is not shutting down anytime soon, they filed for bankruptcy to RE-STRUCTURE and emerge dept free. That is a GOOD thing, they are releasing MOTW on dreamcast (After EVERYONE said LB2 was their last DC game).

They have MVS releases thru next year. Aruze is trying to get them out of dept, so they can move on and make games. Just like sega is doing now.

So please stop with all the "SNK is dead" talk, it's really annoying and totally untrue

[This message has been edited by Caris Nautilus (edited April 08, 2001).]

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's like a fucking wake in here!

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
Caris, I can only speak for myself but the point I took from Verbatum's original post and I tried to make in my post IS THAT SNK AS IT ONCE WAS IS INDEED GONE. The talented original groups of programmers that developed SNK games have mostly left. I am sure they still work in the industry and as I posted originally, I look forward to their work on other platforms. SNK/Aruze is mostly finishing older unreleased games. They have a skeleton crew of game staff now as the NEO GEO is not their main focus. They may hire more people to work on new projects, or they may not. As it stands now SNK is not what it once was. If they decide to staff for new Neo Geo development then great! But it doesn't look likely.
frown.gif

P.S. I would like to put a positive spin on this but I also know enough about how the world works to be realistic about things.

C

Caris Nautilus

Yes the old SNK is gone, I wasn't directing my post at you. But other people saying that SNK is DEAD and stuff, like they will never make games anymore. That is not true.

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
No offense taken, Caris.
biggrin.gif
Believe me, I will wait for new releases with baited breath just like any one here.
biggrin.gif
But getting your hopes up for something spectacular and new like Metal Slug 4 or Magician Lord 2 is wishful thinking. Now just maybe there are some great finished unreleased games out there. But the old SNK probably did most of the work. It is possible that the staff SNK/Aruze has now might have learned enough from the more experienced programmers that left, to make a good KOF 2001 on their own.
wink.gif
We will just have to see. Later and take care!
biggrin.gif

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I was gonna say something really thoughtful here, but I got hypnotized by the running Pulstar chick.