NEO-Geo Revisited

Gaijin

n00b
Hello, this is my first post on this message board. I've been reading for alittle while and been slowly getting back into the NEO. Recently while going through some old boxes, I found my old neo geo from probably late or mid 1991. Had a few cartridges still and plugged them in and it brought back alot of old memories, when games were more then just eye candy.

For whatever its worth, the recently released Gameboy Advance has gone along way to showing people that graphics can only take you so far. Hopefully the gaming mainstream will come to realise that 2D game can be just as fun and entertaining as any 3D product out there.

I was curious however, I havent really touched my NEO since 94 or 95, Does anyone know how many NEO Home systems have been sold around the world since 1990?, or for that matter how many MVS units sold or are currently active?.

Anyhow just wanted to say hello to all the NEOfanatics and its grea to see sites like this, especially when it comes to great gaming systems.

This might be alittle off topic, but I read some messages about if the NEO could handle doing a game like Xmen VS SF or Marvel Super heroes, people seem to think it can't. Now I admit I might be a newbie around here, but can someone explain why it cannot handle these 2 games or any game based on Capcom's CPS2 system?.

The roms for most of the CPS2 games range from 10-25 megs compressed, so they are the same size as alot of NEO carts. The hardware on the CPS2 also uses a 68000 chip and is very similar (dont have the exact stats infront of me) to the MVS board. So why couldn't the NEO handle those 2 games?.

I must say after not playing NEO since basically PSX and Saturn came out, I've missed some nice titles, I must admit Garou Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug 2/X are very impressive running on NEO, great games that bring back good happy gamer feelings.

Maybe its just a case of whats old again is new again or something. But I missed my NEO, and now I can afford to buy the games I couldn't 9 years ago!.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi there.

well wit the xmen vs street fighter thing the CPS2 board can handle more sprites on screen than Neo and I think it has more ram too.

Yeah Im also intersted in Neo sales figures and also do they still make systems in japan or is it a finite supply slowly running out.

------------------
mendou.jpg

-Shuuchan

C

Caris Nautilus

The CPS-2 board is far superior to the MVS as far as graphics go and power, I mean its newer so its a given.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Welcome, dear foreigner.

As for the number of consoles out there, some say 450,000~500,000, others say 400,000 or even 500,000+, but we all seem to agree on roughly that many systems. MVS machines are all over the world. I would have no idea how to measure the number of them populating the globe.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What do you like better:

CPS vs. CPS2

CPS vs. MVS

CPS2 vs. MVS

Just wondering...

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would have to say MVS because of it's versitility and greatest variety of games. It is the superior of all the systems mentioned.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ahh yes, a new member welcome to the boards, try not to become to paranoid of dealers like myself..........

[This message has been edited by Lord Wolfgang Krauser (edited April 09, 2001).]

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Welcome to the board, Gaijin. It is amazing how many people find their way back to the Neo over time. Also, do not worry if at some point someone accuses you of being dion dakis (or Prozerg), as it seems to be a bit of a rite of passage, anymore.
wink.gif

------------------
-BioMotor_Unitron
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!"

Robi15

20 Year Member
Welcome Gaijin! Just a little question. What games did you have/find when you hooked up you're old Neo Geo?

------------------
NEOBIOS.gif

MVS all the way!