A strange NEO Phenomenon

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
I know I'm usualy quiet on this board, an matter of fact, I usually post on the unrelated topics or 16-bit board. I have noticed a strange phenomenon in the last 2 weeks:

Arcade has offered home cart versions of Strikers 1945 that will not require a home cart sac. I don't think anyone's even sure it will require an MVS sac. Dozens of people started complaing about how "converted carts are wrong", or "I don't want a bootleg/pirate cart". These topics continued till everyone ran out of steam, and went on to the next big thing to bitch about.

If you go to the Tech Support, 16-bit boards, News and rumors boards, and to a lesser extent, the wanted/selling boards, you will witness a strange hypocracy.

Look at the sheer number of posts about ID'ing bootleg MVS carts, boards, and whatnot. A small number of people, when they find out they have bootlegs, will try and get originals. But a suprising number of MVS purchasing members have no qualms with buying or keeping bootleg MVS carts.

I want to know why the exact same games are held to different standards. Why is it ok to get a bootleg MVS cart full of Flash EEProms, wires, extra chips, and sometimes no ending, but when it comes in a case and has a sticker with something other than the name printed in B&W it is so important that it be SNK original? I would really like it if someone could tell me wihout calling me a dumbass, or gay, or whatever. I don't want to point fingers and call anyone any names.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, I think the main reason here is that a lot of Home System owners are not just gamers, but also collectors. And for the matter, originality is important. And let's put it this way as well, I pay $100 and get a fake MVS Garou MOTW cart, I am pissed, but ok. Now I pay $800 for a fake Garou home cart... I am a lot more pissed.

-Nick

Laserblast

Hardened Shock Trooper
A little early to tell but I think the !Arcade! Strikers 1945 release will have some value as a collector item. Why?
1. Bootlegs are often poor quality items with flash eproms, sac carts, wires all over, ect..... and unreliable. Strikers 1945 looks to be a quality release.
2. Bootlegs can be made by anyone in any quantity. The Strikers 1945 release is supposed to be limited and I don't think just any one can make one without using sac carts or MVS boards.
3. Bootlegs are often conversions of games allready available, Metal Slug ect.... Strikers 1945 has never been offered for the AES before.
Just my opinion and we will have to see how this all plays out.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I know i can't speak for everyone, but when i personally find out that my MVS carts are bootlegs, I am a little perturbed. The mere fact that they will deteriorate to the point of not working is aggrevating at any price.

I enjoy home carts and I have every intention of buying this Strkers release. I think it is cool that a company is stepping forward and makeing these games to par with SNK. It seems, though I could be mistaken, that !arcade! has an agreement with SNK on this release. Like I said I could be wrong but look at the materials and supplies used. Top notch if you ask me.

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
So it's kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" thing? If the cart is hidden inside the cabinet, it doesn't matter so long as you can play it. But you buy the NGH versions as collectibles and for the extras, so they get held to the higher standard?

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Personally, I am quite annoyed when I discover one of my MVS carts to be a bootleg. In fact, the bootleg MOTW cart I had went right back to the seller, after I made a web page about ID'ing such a fake.

The thing about bootleg MVS carts however, is this. Bootleg MVS cart are EVERYWHERE! It is pretty much impossible to avoid getting a bootleg here and there if you are into getting any volume of MVS carts at all. It's just the way the arcade business is. The games just get copied.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this. I don't. But it is the reality into which I have inserted myself. If I buy MVS carts I WILL end up with bootlegs (or possible bootlegs) no matter what I do. I can choose to completely freak out about it, or I can remember that I only paid $20 for that copy of KoF'96 and just look for a real one later.

Now...when it comes to home carts, the stakes go WAY UP. Now, instead of spending $20 to find out my "new" copy of KoF'96 is a bootleg, I have to spend $180 for a US version. And that is even a cheap example. Obviously, there are games that run easilly into the multiple hundreds. And I tell you what. The thing better stink of the SNK factory and printing press when I get it.

In the MVS world, it's just part of the environment. There are too many boots to avoid. I try to avoid them, but know I will end up with them here and there. In the Home Cart world, the boots are dressed up to look real in an attempt to cash in on someone's ignorance. There is an intent at work that is infuriating.

That's my two cents.