WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF......

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
ARE YOU A FAN OF SNK OR NEO GEO?

PERSONALLY I AM SNK, AND IM A FAN OF MYSELF
wink.gif

....I BELIEVE THE GAMES SNK MAKE ARE SUPERIOR AS ARE THEIR CONSOLES......IM NOT OUT TO COLLECT ALL THE GAMES ON ALL THE SYSTEMS, BUT MORESO TO COLLECT MOST OF THE "SNK" TITLES AND THE FEW GOOD 3RD PARTY TITLES.......
AS FAR AS IM ONCERNED, IM A SNK FAN NOT NEO GEO EXCLUSIVE TYPE OF FAN........

ANYONE DIFFER/SAME?
DEVIL GUI

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, here's my take on it. If SNK had never released the Neo Geo, that is an arcade (and later home) system that uses easy to use, tough, durable cartridges to contain the PCBs, far fewer people would ever have pursued playing/collecting the games to the extent they did. The ease (but unfortunately not cost!) of getting the cartridges, and their exact correspondence (arcade to home) was a big selling point for me. The first few games really impressed me, way back in the beginning (Magician Lord, NAM75 being the two big ones), but later games REALLY blew me away (the entire Samurai series, some of the shooters, and of course the Metal Slug and Last Blade series).

The Neo hardware is so well designed, so far ahead of its time, that here we are over 10 years later and a few new games are still coming out for it. Thats utterly AMAZING, a tribute to the design of the system.

But of course, all this could also never have occurred if SNK itself hadn't bought the rights to this hardware over 10 years ago. On that point, I heard that SNK didn't actually develop the Neo hardware, but that they bought the design from another company. Anyone else heard this?

Anyway, its hard for me, ultimately, to separate the two any more. Without the Neo hardware (which is phenomenal!), SNK would not have reached its status among fans here, but without SNK, the Neo hardware would likely have been severely underutilized.

Oh, and on that point, has anyone ever wondered what it would be like if a DIFFERENT company had bought the design of the Neo Geo arcade hardware and developed for it instead? Such as Konami, Namco, Sega, or other big arcade manufacturers? Now THAT is pretty weird to think about . . .
biggrin.gif

Anyway, for me the convergence of the Neo Geo with SNK was a kind of perfect union, and both together are an amazing combination. I can't really separate them, because neither one alone would have been remotely as incredible as they both are together . . .

S

Silent_Scope

I consider myself as Neo fan, not SNK.
I start getting Neo system when AES first came out and I've never played any SNK game on NES before. I have AES, CD and pocket color therefore I think I'm more Neo than SNK. Like DEVIL_GUI said, I don't like most of SNK games but few I think it's worth the money to collect (KOF, MS and SS series only). Sorry to offend some ppl here
smile.gif

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Why not put aside these petty differences of names? It's all about the love, man!

------------------
How does it feel to be well done?...but I bet you taste terrible
winpose.gif

DEVIL_GUI

You can fantasize all day long, believing that you
THERE IS A GIANT DIFFERENCE TO ME.....
SNK IS THE COMPANY THAT "OWNS" THE NEO GEO HARDWARE AND DEVELPOED THE MAJORITY OF SOFTWARE (OF WHICH THEIRS IS USUALLY THE BEST) BUT TO ME THE COOL OLD NES GAMES THE SNES TITLES THE MEGADRIVE THE SATURN OR JAMMA ARE ALSO CATCHING MY EYE......
LOVE THE NEO POCKET AND SNKS TITLES MAILNLY......IN SHORT IM MORE OVER SNK FAN, A NEO FAN IS DIFFERNT BECAUSE THEY COLLECT THE NEO GEO CARTS EXCLUSIVELY.......

BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SNK AND NEO TO ME
NEOS JUST THE HARDWARE OF SNK, BUT THERE ARE NINTENDO FANS, AND THERE ARE SUPER NINTENDO OR GAMEBOY OR NES EXCLUSIVE FANS.....
SAME WITH SEGA.......

........ITS TOO HOT.......I CANT THINK ARGH....
GOTTA PUT ANOTHER BOTTLE OF ICE INFRONT OF THE FAN.........
DEVIL GUI

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

TAKING FROM A ONCE GREAT FANZINE..THIS WORD FITS MY DESCRIPTION..I AM A MOTHER FKN NEO GEO ENTHUSIAST...AND HARDCORE FEIND...

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'm a fan of BOTH SNK and Neo-Geo.

Even before the Neo, SNK put out some awesome games like Ikari Warriors, Victory Road (Cool game, which IMO is "Ikari Warriors on LSD"
biggrin.gif
), and S.A.R. (similar game with elements of Alien Syndrome as well as a bit of Splatterhouse-like gore). More recently, SNK has ported their games to Sega systems (Metal Slug on Saturn was pretty good).

The Neo-Geo was probably THE BEST arcade system when it was released (Taito's F2 system came close on some of its shmup titles like Metal Black, Majestic 12, etc.). Keeping this system going for 10 years is no small feat. The games' quality is one of the key factors (when KOF'94 came out, I was thinking "Street Fighter WHO? Give me KOF." ). The GPU is one of the things that kept the Neo going this long. I admit it is not a NAOMI, but it still can crank out some nice graphics. I've lately been enjoying Last Blade 2 on the DC- this version preserves the original Neo-Geo's game graphic design, and adds quick load times. LB2 takes forever to load on Neo-CD but is quick on DC.

Jackal
gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com

Ukyo

20 Year Member
SNK = Shin Nihon Kikikou Co.

I think this translates "Perfect/Complete Game Company".(Someone please correct me if Im wrong...My japanese is very bad)

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
So Shin Samurai Spirits would be Like Complete or Perfect Samurai showdown? I always thought Shin was the same as saying two.. but then I dont know ANY japanese.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Yeah...Shin means perfect or complete. Also like as in Shin Akuma from the Street Fighter series. People often thought that Metal Slug X would be called Shin Metal Slug...because most of the time when a remix of some sorts is done to a game they put Shin in the title.

[This message has been edited by Ukyo (edited January 03, 2001).]

Robert

20 Year Member
I am a neofan and only a neofan.I don't like the sega,nintendo or playstation and few games kept my attention. For me, there's only one:the neo geo cart!
P.S:just one question,who's the best striker in kof 99?

RDS777

n00b
Bah, you all miss the brilence that is the Atari 2600
smile.gif

I'm definately a Neo fan. SNK too, to a point. I can still remeber seeing POW during those Nintendo gaming tourneys back around the time Mario 3 came out. Couldn't get that game out of my mind for about 3 months.