NeoGeo Cases

thurow

n00b
Would anybody be interested in 3rd party hard clamshell cases for AES or MVS carts to replace broken or missing cases? I am looking into have some made if I know that there is a demand for them. I know everybody likes to have everything SNK originals. They would be made to look just like the newer cases without the SNK logo printed on them. If enough people are interested I will take the time and effort to contract a plastics manufacturer and mold maker to produce the cases. Of course we would like to keep the price reasonable for everyone to want to buy them. I don't want to see the price any higher than $10 a case, but would like to see them around $5 if I can. Let me know if anybody would be interested.

Travis

thurow

n00b
I wouldn't go through all this trouble if Aruze or SNK Japan would return my emails that I send them in regards to a vendor that makes the cases or if we can get them directly from them. Unfortunatley no response from any of them. So if anybody knows where we can get our hands on originals I would love to know, otherwise I will persue custom made ones.

Travis

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
i would be interested
smile.gif

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
You can count me in!!!

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hell yeah , i'd like some extra cases . I bet there is a rather large demand out there

hupplark_39

Kabuki Klasher
hey Travis
i would like to get in on this too, probably take dozen on the first order depending on the quality and the price. Joe

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I'd be interested as well, actually in BOTH MVS and home cart cases. And if the price were decent, I'd pick up a lot of either type . . . like up to 50 MVS, and 25 home cart.

Oh, and I forgot to add that Biomotor Unitron has been considering making MVS cart cases (he's also in these forums), you might want to drop him a line: biomotor_unitron@yahoo.com
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by chimpmeister (edited December 22, 2000).]

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I'm with Chimp. Were there to be MVS cases available, I would probably want 30 to 40 of them. I have been looking for some kind of case or sleeve for them (along the lines of old NES cart sleeves) just as a matter of protection from dust and what not, but have had no luck. I would most certainly be in on a case specifically designed to hold them.

-RyoGeo

thurow

n00b
Well it seems unanimous, I'll get on the ball and find a plastics manufacturer that will be willing to produce these. I was thiking along the lines of the new style cases for both the AES carts and the MVS carts. I'd make them Universal so you could use the cases for either cart. If anybody has any suggestions you can email me at travisthurow@hotmail.com

Travis

AnTi

be very careful dealing with me.
me too !

need some new style cases =)

merry x-mas

and take care

Jan

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Well, since there were never any "official" (gawds, I am really starting to hate that word) MVS cart cases, I was thinking of a two part case with a slide-on lid, rather than a hinged-plastic snapping lid, as plastic fatigue will, over time, eventually cause breaks and cracking in the plastic. It would help keep costs down, as well. Most people seem to want cases along the lines of the newer home cart cases, though, with a plastic sleeve to retain homemade MVS cart inserts, or mini-marquees, etc.

The idea as mentioned in an earlier post of a universal cart case, for both MVS and home carts, is an interesting idea. Anyone remember the Electronic Arts cases for SEGA Genesis carts? They had two sets of plastic retaining brackets inside, one for retaining larger, square-shaped EA carts, and one for the smaller, standard rectangle Genesis carts. A system like this might be workable for a custom made cart case, I will take a few measurements.

-BioMotor_Unitron

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I too, thought about just contracting whomever made the original cases for SNK. I will try giving SNK-Japan a call and see if I can find someone who knows. Also, considering that SNK-USA is now defunct, we could probably even get away with having cases manufactured with the SNK logo.

-BioMotor_Unitron

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
How about clear MVS cases so you can read the title through the case? You can still put clear sleeves on but at least you can line up your carts by their spines just like the AES versions.

James

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

I THINK A MVS CASE WITH PLASTIC COVERIN WOULD BE WICKED..THAT WAY YOU COULD SLIDE THE BIG MARQUEES OR CART INSTRUCTION CARDS IN AND MAKE THE CASE LOOK REAL SWEET...KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN....

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Yeah, so many times on this very forum have I seen ppl get the idea on something and then just abandon it a week or so later.

Dont misunderstand me, I myself will purchase some of these cases if they get made, but you must understand I have my doubts. Myself, I'd like some MVS and AES ones, would probably like snaplock newstyle more than anything too. Hope it works out.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
Count me in for MVS cases, I love that idea, especially if they will hold an insert.

One question though, $5 to $10 each sounds very inexpensive, did you do some investigating into the actual cost? I think it might cost around $10,000 for the mold alone. If that is true, you would need to sell an awful lot at $5 to get your investment back. I think that is probably why this has never been done before.

Anthony

thurow

n00b
I would like to keep the price down on the cases, since we all know plastic is dirt cheap. Yes the mold would be the most expensive piece of the process. I have looked at a few different angles, One I own the mold and I get someone to manufacturer the cases, 2nd the manufacturer owns half of the mold or the manufacturer owns the whole mold and I pay a fee for use. I think with enough research I might be able to keep the price down. Profit is not my goal, If I can get the equipment and products paid for and a little back to reinvest for more cases that would be good enough. I also think I have to file for a resellers license to get a manufacturer to produce these cases. I am right now having blue prints made up for a case resembling a new style case without the single snap lock, instead it locks like the VCR cases, the for teeth that fit inside and hold the case shut. Ideas would be appreciated. This process might take me a bit to find the right company to make the cases for us, but I will keep you posted on my progress.

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
It's not so much the profit angle that I was concerned about, but if you were willing to make such an investment. You know that you may never break even. But it seems you are informed on the process and I think it is fantastic that you would take on such a project.

As for the case, I think a VCR style box would be sufficient. One that stays shut without a separate snap/lock mechanism. Are you planning an MVS or Home cart case?

Anthony

[This message has been edited by Neo Fan (edited December 25, 2000).]

thurow

n00b
So far I have designed a case similar to the VHS tape case with four teeth to lock the top down. The case will be the same size as the original SNK cases but it would be universal for both MVS and AES carts. I was still looking at keeping the plastic black. If anybody comes across anybody that knows of injection mold manufacturers let me know. I have found a few in Hong Kong and such, but I would rather have somebody in the states do it.