!Arcade! MVS to AES converter on ebay?

S

Silent_Scope

How come he puts on Ebay for auction but not for sale? I'll need one for sure.
(still have lots questions in mind....)

Lord Illicious

Krauser's Henchman
20 Year Member
bloodbar.gif

Originally posted by Silent_Scope:
How come he puts on Ebay for auction but not for sale? I'll need one for sure.
(still have lots questions in mind....)
True that, im also thinking that little web page would help to display/advertise the converter would be cool.
Yo !ARCADE! what ya up to man?
Hope you have more of thoes converters to sell.

------------------
akuma1.gif

Lord Illicious
Primal Massiah
Soul Reaver

Wu Dan Neo Devil of Illness
bloodbar.gif

[This message has been edited by Lord Illicious (edited December 20, 2000).]

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
It's been a long time comming, since Nov20 something... whats up with direct sales?
biggrin.gif

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
So that's how it looks like. I have to admit that the green-blue edged converter looks a lot like my converter.

Did anyone here got a converter that Arcade was giving out to some of the members, to test the games?

Regardless, it is really good news
smile.gif

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
...at least he set the reserve at what was/is to be the retail price, from what I have read here in the forums. I wouldn't pay any more than that, since that's what they are going to sell for anyway. Unless the price goes up...

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
The converter looks nice. But I'm wondering why people here are bidding on it (such as tmosteel, wjw123)? Why don't you guys wait to buy them direct from !Arcade!, instead of trying to drive the price up on an eBay auction? Thats just not very bright at all, guys. Take a chill pill and WAIT to buy it directly, why don't you? Bidding it up to $400 in the VERY BEGINNING of the auction is just plain, IDIOTIC.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Chimpmeister-

Whos driving up what price? Look at my post: I only bid what had been posted here was to be the retail price. If some rocket scientist wants to bid more than that-thats his/her problem. And buy it directly? When? Have you been to www.neogeousa.com lately? It's still under construction. And the only e-mail reply I had gotten from !ARCADE! in the past was a wait-and-see type of response.
Some people are paying $700+ for a PS2 when it sells for $299 instead of waiting. Thats their choice. It will still sell for that (or less) when SONY decides to build (or is it release? I've heard of an "artificial" shortage on them, thanks to SONY itself) them after the new year.

I'm sure the converter will stay the same too.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
TMOSteel,

But what I never did understand about people bidding on eBay, is WHY would ANYONE even BID on an auction which has MANY DAYS left on it? NINE DAYS PLUS remaining on this auction (in other words, it was just recently put up) and you're already anxiously bidding it up? Why not WAIT until there's LESS THAN 30 MINUTES left on it, INSTEAD of NINE DAYS +? Does that make sense to you? It just doesn't make any sense at all to bid on items that far out, all it does is potentially push the price up when the auction nears completion. It makes me think that people who bid this early are so anxious to get the item that they CAN'T WAIT until towards the end of the auction, and get so excited that they have to bid WAY before its even CLOSE to ending. Kinda silly when it comes to bidding on eBay, don't you think?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I'll be completely honest with you: I wanted to see if the reserve WAS what was rumored to be the retail price, as I previously stated. And I was right. Usually, yes, I am one of those who waits until the last minute and then bids, but lately I've been getting caught up and missing the dam auction! One thing, though, !ARCADE! could have used the new "buy it now" option on eBay if he intended to sell these for that $399 price. So that makes me wonder. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
After looking at the converter as pictured, I have a couple of questions I hope !ARCADE! will address here. Based on previous posts in the forums and !ARCADES! replies, they are as follows:

1) Is this the finished product? Or a few prototypes up for sale?

2) Plastic case? Wasn't there going to be a plastic case for the converter? The one pictured looks cardboard.

3) The converter itself: no plastic shell? You've got EXPOSED connectors there. What about ESD (electrostatic discharge)? In my opinion, unless someone is wearing a grounded anti-static wrist strap when they handle that thing, you are looking at:

A) Damaging the converter, or more importantly, any electronic components contained within.

B) Damaging the chips on the MVS cart if you connect the converter to the cart first, and any static discharges.

C) Damaging the chips, cpu, memory etc. on the console if you connect it there first and the same thing happens.

I'm all for the Apple-esq "see through" look, but in this case, bare components seem potentially damaging. I noticed you are packing them in anti-static bags, though, so I assume "A)" above was a concern. What happended to the shell you mentioned for it?
I'm just curious as to why it did not make it to the final production.

[This message has been edited by TMOSteel (edited December 20, 2000).]

S

Silent_Scope

AES convertor........just raise too many questions. I'm one of the guys who asked my friend to wait in line in Japan and got me a EXPENSIVE PS 2 machine. A fool as I , right?
But for AES convertor I'll never pay anything over $250 or $300. But we'll have to see what Arcade is going to say

endgamer

Another Striker
I have this feeling that Arcade is going to sell their convertors at the final auction price. Yeah they said $399. but they have the right to change their minds and probably will, if they don't I'll be one happy gamer

Lord Illicious

Krauser's Henchman
20 Year Member
bloodbar.gif

I say let someone who has many MVS carts(inclunding the ones you cant play with the old converters), get the converter and test the MVS games to determin wheather or not its worth the $399.

------------------
akuma1.gif

Lord Illicious
Primal Massiah
Soul Reaver

Wu Dan Neo Devil of Illness
bloodbar.gif

S

Silent_Scope

Less than $399~~~ If Arcade likes this community...please

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
After looking at the converter as pictured, I have a couple of questions I hope !ARCADE! will address here. Based on previous posts in the forums and !ARCADES! replies, they are as follows:

2) Plastic case? Wasn't there going to be a plastic case for the converter? The one pictured looks cardboard.

3) The converter itself: no plastic shell? You've got EXPOSED connectors there. What about ESD (electrostatic discharge)? In my opinion, unless someone is wearing a grounded anti-static wrist strap when they handle that thing, you are looking at:

A) Damaging the converter, or more importantly, any electronic components contained within.

B) Damaging the chips on the MVS cart if you connect the converter to the cart first, and any static discharges.

C) Damaging the chips, cpu, memory etc. on the console if you connect it there first and the same thing happens.

I'm all for the Apple-esq "see through" look, but in this case, bare components seem potentially damaging. I noticed you are packing them in anti-static bags, though, so I assume "A)" above was a concern. What happended to the shell you mentioned for it?

TMOSteel, your last post has many excellent points. I agree totally with your assessment, it seems like the converter should be encased in some kind of shell to protect against static discharge/damage to the converter, cart that its plugged into, and/or the home cart system itself. Also, it will be interesting to see what the two items he put on eBay sell for . . . I imagine it will be pretty high, at this rate.
frown.gif

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
!ARCADE! has been suspiciously quiet about this topic. I think some excellent questions have been raised that have not been answered. I am having doubts as to the legitimacy of this item. Plus it seems strange that !ARCADE! was touting the converter on this message board, but then goes and sells it on e-bay first. That is pretty crummy. I hope he responds to the concerns expressed here soon.

Anthony

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
That pretty much covers my concerns as well. I am still waiting to hear from him about collaberation on an MVS cart case project. I supposed he might not have seen my posts, as he did not post to either forum topic after I posted about the idea.

-BioMotor_Unitron

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
He's got 5 more listed for auction. I guess this means he's not wanting to sell to people on this forum. Either that or he's trying to get more money for each converter.

James

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
!ARCADE! e-mailed me directly in response to my post to address my concerns:

Hello:
In answer to your queries regarding our product.

This is the finished product.

Our surveys have shown that producing a plastic case was cost prohibitive as the end user was only willing to pay for a "no
frills version", which would have added $100.00 to the current cost.

3) The converter itself: no plastic shell? You've got EXPOSED connectors there. What about ESD (electrostatic discharge)?
In my opinion, unless someone is wearing a grounded anti-static wrist strap when they handle that thing, you are looking
at:

The shell would have been part of a full version. With regards to the ESD, this is only a concern if you touch any chip on
this earth directly. The Neo system as well as every game are encased in plastic preventing any ESD problems. Our converter
has been designed so that ESD problems are not an issue.

Please refer to the above.

I'm all for the Apple-esq "see through" look, but in this case, bare components seem potentially damaging. I noticed you
are packing them in anti-static bags, though, so I assume "A)" above was a concern. What happended to the shell you
mentioned for it?

Again, our surveys showed the end user was looking for a "no frills version".

Best Regards

-I responded by thanking him for getting back to me, and for addressing my concerns. I'm assuming most of us treat our Neo & related components like the delicate electronic components they are, so as long as the converter is treated the same way, I don't forsee too many problems. As far as the ESD statement about only touching a chip damaging it, I'm not in total agreement here. ANY discharge can in effect be transmitted through any components that can conduct electricity. So, a chip can be damaged through indirect contact. (I'm also a certified technician in addition to an engineer). But if they addressed this issue as he stated, then this should not be a problem (although I wouldn't rub my sneakers on the carpet before handling it!).

Neo Fan

King's Dry Cleaner
So why didn't he offer to sell them to users on this list first. I think it isa a bit of a slap in the face to sell them on e-bay like that without offering them up for sale here first. As for the cost, Neo Collectors are willing to pay the highest prices around for Neo games and items. This board has a large gathering of Neo gamers and collectors, so it seems that he should have offered it here first. If he wanted more than $399 fot it, and that's why it is on e-bay, why not just ask for the price you hope to get???

Anthony

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
To be honest I think it sucks that arcade decide to go through eBay to sell this thing considering we have all been waiting here buy this convertor. Arcade, we would all apreciate an update as to when you will be selling this directly, as you said you would do before.

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
I think he is just testing the market on it... He wants to see if he can get his asking price for it of $400... I bid just below that so I woulnt be locked into buying if reserve wasnt met, but dudes if you got the money just bid $400 and see what happens.