Neo Geo rentals??

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
if i recall correctly.... the neo geo was first used as a rental system but ti had a more expensive chip set in it so when they started to sell it in stores they made a cheaper chip set. does anyone know of anyone who has an origional rental neo geo aes?? or am i just completely wrong

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Uhh . . . . you're just completely wrong.

The rental Neo Geo systems are the same as the ones sitting in our homes today.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah. I know that they were originally made to be used as rentals, but released to the general public once SNK realized that public wanted to own Neo Geo even at high price. I have never heard regading about thechip, though. Do you think maybe they made the chip cheaper later on, once they realized how to get cheaper materials and more efficient way to make it? That is mostly true with new systems being sold high, and several years later selling them cheaper for the above reasons.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
yeah, i think i heard somethin like that somewhere else too. i dont know where though, maybe thats why i thought of this

S

Silent_Scope

I don't even know there is a Neo Geo rental machine. Just remembered in the old days like NES, PC Engine and Mega Drive dominant the market, there was a machine called Neo Geo carrying 330 Meg Max power which attracted my attention. Therefore I saved my hard earned money and got one........
That's all I know about Neo Geo........

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Unless I'm mistaken, SNK used a cheaper chip set in some models of the Neo Geo for a while when the price for the unit in Japan had dropped by 50% so they could up their sales. I've heard stories that these systems had to have "frequency adjustments" from time to time, but otherwise, they worked just as good as any other Neo Geo.

On a side note, I had to have my Neo cart system adjusted one time. When I got the game Sengoku, I noticed that there were vertical black lines in the picture. I called SNK about it, and the guy told me to send him the system, he'll tune it up for me. Well, I sent the system, he did whatever to it, and since then the picture has been just fine. Occasionally, I can still see the lines in Sengoku, but not as dark or well defined as they were before.

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

lou_preview.jpg

http://www.fanscene.org

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
The older neo's orginaly had trouble with video quality. which is why you will notice some of the systems with the video daughter card on them. this was later corrected in later models of the Neo. As far as the rental system being different then the Home system That is the first I heard of that. In fact I would not know how to tell the difference if there is one between a rental neo and a home neo. However if your looking for the best neo for the money it would be the later model japanese systems.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I do know that some movie rental places that also rented video games used to have Neo Geo setups and games also available. I know this, because the two systems & 14 games I bought were from one person who owned a Blockbuster up in New Hampshire. That was many moons ago... and if he only knew how much the stuff is worth these days.
biggrin.gif

S

Silent_Scope

Oh, one thing for sure is that SNK japan did use cheap chip to drop the Neo price and I do remember that. I haven't seen any Neo rental in Texas..........hmmm