SvC - New Hardware???

NYI

n00b
Might be old but I read a news about SvC being developed on a brand new hardware. Is it true?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
nope it's still good ol Neo Geo goodness notin new

NYI

n00b
I really hope so.... but they are confirming that the game will be based on a new neo-geo hardware(maybe upgraded version from old neo-geo). I am little concerned...

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
NYI:
I really hope so.... but they are confirming that the game will be based on a new neo-geo hardware(maybe upgraded version from old neo-geo). I am little concerned...
There may be some adjustments to the cartridge itself to allow expanded storage, but the game won't require "new hardware". If it did, they'd lock out hundreds of thousands of MVS machines, which really wouldn't make much sense. Look at the Crystal System, new hardware that apparently (and sadly) didn't make it. There just is no money in releasing new arcade hardware, at this stage developing for the existing base of MVS (and home cart) systems is the only way . . . in addition to porting the game(s) to the current crop of popular home consoles, i.e. PS2 and XBox. :)

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Shawn did drop a bit of a hint that there might be some new hardware in the future, but that was about it.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
chimpmeister:
NYI:
There may be some adjustments to the cartridge itself to allow expanded storage, but the game won't require "new hardware". If it did, they'd lock out hundreds of thousands of MVS machines, which really wouldn't make much sense. Look at the Crystal System, new hardware that apparently (and sadly) didn't make it. There just is no money in releasing new arcade hardware, at this stage developing for the existing base of MVS (and home cart) systems is the only way . . . in addition to porting the game(s) to the current crop of popular home consoles, i.e. PS2 and XBox. :)
Maybe new hardware would be successful if Playmore would commit their biggest franchises to it. Putting KOF, Metal Slug, and any other upcoming flagship titles on new hardware only might help.

Of course, this would piss off arcade ops that already have an investment in the old hardware. Not to mention many of the Neo fans like us with MVS cabs and Home Systems.

Personally, I would love to see some new hardware, as long as it is in line (price-wise) with the current stuff.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
chimpmeister:
NYI:
This is true.

I just wonder how much it will effect the home cart price.

If we are lucky, the demand for this game will be high enough that they will produce more copies, thus lowering the overall cost.

im hoping its 300.

if its over 4, ill kill some one.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ghost-Dog
Of course, this would piss off arcade ops that already have an investment in the old hardware. Not to mention many of the Neo fans like us with MVS cabs and Home Systems.
Yeah, but for how long have they been making money off that investment? Like any other type of investment, eventually it comes to an end. I mean, its not like brand new arcades are popping up with brand new multislot cabs in there where the owner is dropping a couple grand on new Neo hardware and expecting a return on investment.

Eventually, if we want to see new 2d games in the arcade, I would imagine new hardware is going to be needed. Most of the hardware in the arcades is outclassed and overpowered by the home consoles. With the exception of a couple different arcade techs (maybe the Triforce stuff and some others), the home consoles kick their teeth in. People want to be wowed by stuff they can't get at home. The current arcade market doesn't seem to deliver that. At least not the way it use to.

valenti

Mr. Big's Thug
mmcafe reports that it may be some kind of new hardware. players have said theres special effects never seen in a previous snk game.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
<a href="http://www.snkplaymore.jp/consumer/schedule.html" target="_blank">http://www.snkplaymore.jp/consumer/schedule.html</a>

see the BIG NEO on the left to the release.
There's not even port release scheduled. :rolleyes: :cool:

SNKFreak

Banned
Just because theres a new effect doesn't mean there's new hardware. Compare Blues Journey to Mark of the Wolves, same hardware, but judging by the look of Blues Journey, you'd be crazy to think that MotW would be possible on the same hardware.

I think new hardware would be a disaster for SNK/Playmore. Think about it in terms of conveniance and production cost.

The MVS cabinets already exist, all they have to do is produce a cheap little cart. New hardware would make them have to:

1. Spend money on the planning, development, marketing, and distribution.

2. Spend money on parts and manufacturing.

3. Try to convince arcade retailers to take a gamble and buy a brand new machine just for one game, when they could just pop the hits into a 4-slot which they already own and have a winner.

I don't think new hardware will ever work. Nomatter what it's capable of, as long as it's 2D it wont fly. Look at the CPS3 even, great hardware, awesome games, still failed.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer 2D games over 3D. But when you look at reality, the mass market doesn't want good looking 2D.

I don't even bother going to arcades anymore because there's always some 12 year old wannabe standing over my shoulder going "Oh snap son, that shit be lookin like Super Nintendo!"

Like broken said, unless it's something drastically different and impressive, it won't sell. The Naomi is a good example, it came out at the same time as the DC, so people who couldn't get a DC yet were drawn to the machines to play this new arcade system/console.

Playmore is making a great move by using pre-existing hardware, that as we've seen over the years, seems to be vastly expandible in terms of what it can do. A slight modification to the cart and you have a new way of storing data, or expanding the capabilities of the graphics.

I may seem like a jaded asshole of a gamer, but as far as I can remember, Neo Geo carts ALWAYS had the potential to store the same ammount of massive data that they do now. But back then, it wasn't needed because they were clever in terms of gameplay and design. Look at Baseball Stars 2, that game EASILY beats out shit like RotD, KOF2001/2002 and Metal Slug 4 in gameplay, fun-factor, and even the overall design.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
SNKFreak:
Just because theres a new effect doesn't mean there's new hardware. Compare Blues Journey to Mark of the Wolves, same hardware, but judging by the look of Blues Journey, you'd be crazy to think that MotW would be possible on the same hardware.

I think new hardware would be a disaster for SNK/Playmore. Think about it in terms of conveniance and production cost.

The MVS cabinets already exist, all they have to do is produce a cheap little cart. New hardware would make them have to:

1. Spend money on the planning, development, marketing, and distribution.

2. Spend money on parts and manufacturing.

3. Try to convince arcade retailers to take a gamble and buy a brand new machine just for one game, when they could just pop the hits into a 4-slot which they already own and have a winner.

I don't think new hardware will ever work. Nomatter what it's capable of, as long as it's 2D it wont fly. Look at the CPS3 even, great hardware, awesome games, still failed.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer 2D games over 3D. But when you look at reality, the mass market doesn't want good looking 2D.

I don't even bother going to arcades anymore because there's always some 12 year old wannabe standing over my shoulder going "Oh snap son, that shit be lookin like Super Nintendo!"

Like broken said, unless it's something drastically different and impressive, it won't sell. The Naomi is a good example, it came out at the same time as the DC, so people who couldn't get a DC yet were drawn to the machines to play this new arcade system/console.

Playmore is making a great move by using pre-existing hardware, that as we've seen over the years, seems to be vastly expandible in terms of what it can do. A slight modification to the cart and you have a new way of storing data, or expanding the capabilities of the graphics.
WEll,you and Chimp hit the real point.

Neo geo is,IMO,the MOST POWERFUL arcade system out there.
Why? It is already set WORLDWIDE,i.e. almost EVERY arcade has a neo geo motherboard in the world.
NO other arcade system can match this power.

New generation of videogaming is:
3D and AT HOME.

Neo geo stands as a good arcade alternative with great games.

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: FTL ]</small>

SNKFreak

Banned
Not only is the Neo Geo the most established arcade system out there, but it beats out most of the new age system in raw power as well.

Take all the horrible DC and PS2 ports of the latest games. They can't even hold a candle to the real MVS.

All that people care about these days is the polygon count, and the latest gimmick to make old and boring ideas seem new and exiting.

What the fuck happened to the good ol' fashioned ideal of making a game fun to play, not just look pretty.

I mean, look at Sony, they refuse to port Goemon to the US because they say it's too kiddie for the PS2 fan, now here's a game with time tested PERFECT gameplay and a shitload of fun and variety, but it isnt ported cuz the characters are SD anime. Even though they advertise their own shitty ass kiddie games like Ratchet and Crap.

My point?

People don't care about gameplay anymore. The only ones that do are the Neo Geo fans. You ask ANY Neo fan here and they'll tell you that they prefer a solid SNK game over practically any new gimmicy piece of boring shit out there.

Playmore cant develop something to compete in with the new age shit, and the only people who play their games are the hardcore fans.

We've been keeping them in business for all these years, and I think that we'd continue to do so even if they NEVER decide to switch platforms.

And I already know this is pretty much the same post I made just earlier, but man, I got nothing better to do right now.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
SNKFreak:
Take all the horrible DC and PS2 ports of the latest games. They can't even hold a candle to the real MVS.
Great point
glee glee glee

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x:
SNKFreak:
Great point
glee glee glee
I really think thats because of piss poor programming. Lets port the Guilty Gear games or Symphony of The Night or any number of other games to the Neo and see how they turn out. Lets port some CPS-2 stuff while we are it considering every Neo nut thinks the CPS-2 is inferior.

I dunno, but ports just don't seem to turn out like the originals regardless of how inferior the original hardware was and how vastly superior the new hardware is. Unless maybe you are emulating it instead.

But yeah, depending on how SvC turns out, I can see Mugenmore milking the Neo hardware for atleast a few more years and us gamers will be there to reap the benefits.

Woooo wooo 2D homeskillet!

Red_venom

n00b
Every mid-sized or bigger arcade might have an MVS, but that doesn't mean it's even close to being the biggest earner. SNK could easily start a transition now of moving it's biggest series of games onto say the Naomi board(Or anything else coming down the pipe that will most likely have a fairly large installed-base). Too bad some people berate all the new games that come out, act like the 300 they spend on a brand new cart truly is what keeps SNK afloat(Sorry, arcade sales most likely account for MUCH MORE than home sales), and believe that the MVS is an almost magical system capable of unlimited power.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Yup, the MVS is indeed more powerful than the CPSIII and it also has more memory and a far more superior graphics engine than the XBOX or the PS2. :rolleyes:

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hey Neo Freaks,

I have heard alot of good points, I have owned every console and played just about every game. Neo Geo is the best one out there for game play and other systems fighters gameplay don't even come close. I would like SNK to come out with a either a add on to enhance the home consoles or make a more powerful MVS board that is backwards compatible. I think that they were on the right track with the Hyper 64 board. If they come out with a new system, I'll find a way to get,and there's my 2 cents. Laters... :cool:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
SNKFreak:
Not only is the Neo Geo the most established arcade system out there, but it beats out most of the new age system in raw power as well.

All that people care about these days is the polygon count, and the latest gimmick to make old and boring ideas seem new and exiting.

What the fuck happened to the good ol' fashioned ideal of making a game fun to play, not just look pretty.

I mean, look at Sony, they refuse to port Goemon to the US because they say it's too kiddie for the PS2 fan, now here's a game with time tested PERFECT gameplay and a shitload of fun and variety, but it isnt ported cuz the characters are SD anime. Even though they advertise their own shitty ass kiddie games like Ratchet and Crap.

My point?

People don't care about gameplay anymore. The only ones that do are the Neo Geo fans. You ask ANY Neo fan here and they'll tell you that they prefer a solid SNK game over practically any new gimmicy piece of boring shit out there.

Playmore cant develop something to compete in with the new age shit, and the only people who play their games are the hardcore fans.

We've been keeping them in business for all these years, and I think that we'd continue to do so even if they NEVER decide to switch platforms.

And I already know this is pretty much the same post I made just earlier, but man, I got nothing better to do right now.
You borderline on the obscenely insane. oh_no

Fuchikoma

n00b
Yeah the MVS is great... but even though well established, it's easy to pirate the hell out of it. There will be pirate Snk vs Capcom carts and roms by the end of the year...

Nomax

Kula's Candy
I don't think it will run on "new hardware" but the cart might have some new custom chips inside enabling some new special effects like Nintendo did with their "Super FX" chip in SNES carts. Anyway, it sounds great!
buttrock

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fuchikoma:
Yeah the MVS is great... but even though well established, it's easy to pirate the hell out of it. There will be pirate Snk vs Capcom carts and roms by the end of the year...
What's your point?

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Rade Kuruc ]</small>

takuman

, ,
..................................................................................
:mad: :mad: mad_2

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Rade Kuruc:
Fuchikoma:
What's your point?
Probably that Tom, Dick, and Harry will just get teh rom. They won't buy it just download it.

Anyway on the topic of new hardware I think they should make some. But to do so they need to have all their main titles coming out on it.

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Mark of the Wolves ]</small>