Snk mentioned in gamespot again....

Frame Gride 2

Robert Garcia's Butler
<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/060803blastprocessing/7.html" target="_blank">http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/060803blastprocessing/7.html</a>

"There's one thing that makes the dark rain clouds and the thoughts of the video game industry imploding disappear, and that is the wily veteran known as SNK. How does this company continue to exist? Or, maybe a better question would be, how does the NeoGeo still exist? Obviously, the company has a relatively large group of fans, but there has to be something more going on there. SNK continually amazes me, and now that it seems like Playmore is making a major push to put SNK back on everyone's radar, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe companies that are having financial problems should take a page out of SNK's playbook and feign death, only to return with a vengeance."

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Frame Gride 2:
<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/060803blastprocessing/7.html" target="_blank">http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/060803blastprocessing/7.html</a>

"There's one thing that makes the dark rain clouds and the thoughts of the video game industry imploding disappear, and that is the wily veteran known as SNK. How does this company continue to exist? Or, maybe a better question would be, how does the NeoGeo still exist? Obviously, the company has a relatively large group of fans, but there has to be something more going on there. SNK continually amazes me, and now that it seems like Playmore is making a major push to put SNK back on everyone's radar, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe companies that are having financial problems should take a page out of SNK's playbook and feign death, only to return with a vengeance."
That is just an awesome statement. SNK/Playmore lives on because of the hardcore fan base (us) and their dedication to EXCELLENT gameplay and their dedication to mastering a skill and that skill is quality 2D gaming. Because of that Neo Geo live on.

LONG LIVE NEO GEO!
buttrock buttrock buttrock

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Well ROCK ON!!!!

Still, i wait in fear to see the new breed of 3d games

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Still, i wait in fear to see the new breed of 3d games
If putting "snk" back on everyone's radar means turning to 3D, I want my beloved snk to stay off everyone's radar.

Oxyclean

n00b
That is a beautiful, beautiful thing. If they did go 3-D to make some financial gain in the market I wouldn't be opposed to it if they didn't abandon their 2-D fanbase. As long as the 2-D greatness keeps coming, i'll be happy.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
If they can make GOOD 3D games then I say go for it. They just need to make sure they don't "sell out." They must always remember the hardcore fans who have supported them over the years.

You know I don't mind 3d so much as I hate the fundamental change in game play. If they could build games in 3d and keep them side scrolling that would be one thing. But they always feel the need to fix what isn't broke and doing so destroy what made the game fun in the first place.

Someone needs to get a sack and build a game in a 3d engine and make it play like a 2d game. I could see SNK being the ones to do this. Although this is hardly a Neo Geo only problem. From what I have seen so far Castlevania coming to PS2 is gonna suck.

aria

Former Moderator
Well said, that was written by someone who appreciates the unprecedented situations of SNK and the Neo Geo -he's right, there's something more to it's survival that seems to defy conventional industry logic.

Personally, I attribute it to Kawasaki's devotion to the platform, even in light of all the failed attempts to make better ones (Hyper 64) and alternates (CD, NGP, NGPC).

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Bobak ]</small>

pmok21

n00b
even though it was a tiny paragraph it was a good reading!

i wish they made a new mobo or console that could play old games and some new even better looking 2d games but i'm just a dreamer.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ambivalence:

Someone needs to get a sack and build a game in a 3d engine and make it play like a 2d game. I could see SNK being the ones to do this. Although this is hardly a Neo Geo only problem. From what I have seen so far Castlevania coming to PS2 is gonna suck.
oh_no

And its that kind of attitude that makes gamers miss out on real gems like the new shinobi. Give the new CV a chance, Im sure its goimg to be at least, a very fun game.

I like 2d games more, but there are still so many fun as hell 3d ones.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Maybe there's some unwritten law that's barely been tested before, in the industry. In fact, it's never been to this degree.

Perhaps it is true that if a company has a product with such rabid fan-backing and demand for more, that people will not have the company die. I always wondered if that would be the case. Sure, it doesn't sound like a straight (that's how the industry works) kind of theory (maybe a bit senselessly romantic for some people); but heck, if selling things can't be at least partially measured by the frothing demand by people willing to support its continued production, what's the purpose of the whole merchant industry, anyway?

I mean, there are certain companies with a fanbase that went the way of the dodo, but never has any of them had videogame characters and other things so incredibly popular that you constantly see cosplayers, miniatures and trinkets selling all over the place. Web Shrines dedicating love to not simply the company, but various characters the company has produced. We're talking millions of people, here. Whether it is Nakoruru, Terry Bogard, Iori Yagami, Yamazaki, Genjuro, Mai, Angel, heck even Gen An (picking from a random list of known characters for shrinehood). If I had a nickel for every website that is either just short of saying they'd marry Nakoruru if she existed or the websites that outright said they would, I'd buy Matrimelee right now, with their money alone.

Stuff like this sends that romantic perspective into the gaming world that perhaps there's some bit of this industry that actually makes logical sense. It'll be a sad day when some company that has achieved that level of dedication, love, admiration, for its product by such a large population, completely shuts down. A sad day, indeed. You might as well shut Disney down, even though half the American population probably has something with the patented mouse ears in their house and knows the "Feel the Fizz- Coo Coo Cola" song from Rescue Rangers by heart, even if they claim they never watch the cartoon.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
AWESOME!!!

That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too.

Thanks for posting that.. :)

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
Just goes to show,SNK will always kick ass.

Long live NEO-GEO!!!