Ending to original Galaga?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I was curious if this game has an ending... Anyone ever completely beat it?

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Originally posted by NeoTurfMasta:
<STRONG>I was curious if this game has an ending... Anyone ever completely beat it?</STRONG>

There's no REAL ending in the original Galaga, but I've heard around level 255 you get the Kill-Screen (where it's practically unplayable).

Galaga '88 (Atari Games released this sequel instead of Midway) does have an ending, however.

TOOL

Edo Express Delivery Guy
There is no ending.My dad who was the galaga masta he could get to the 200th stage with one quarter.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, thats what I thought. At lunch I head over to a arcade and they have that Galaga/MsPac Man remake there. A coworker of mine was determined to beat it..heh.. that aint happening.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
My mother used to be the top Galaga player around here in the early 80's. She'd get to level 99 & then it would start all over again at 1.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My mother used to be the top Galaga player around here in the early 80's. She'd get to level 99 & then it would start all over again at 1.

My mother would get drunk, read the bible too much and then beat me with a yard stick or box of saran-wrap until I reached level 99 in the pain department…then I'd normally reset to level one…with a bit of time...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My mom fucking loves Centipede. One time I was playing it on my trackball for the Atari in the living room. She walked by, saw it, took the trackball and played for like five straight hours.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Old thread is old. Also talking about old game :p

255 stages in Galaga. Once you pass Stage 255 (which is a bonus round) you go to Stage 0. You'll be on the screen however no ships will ever appear on the stage, thus the game must be shut off. I pissed many a arcade owner doing it...that and ye olde trick that makes all the enemy ships stop firing back at you :tickled:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
There is no ending.My dad who was the galaga masta he could get to the 200th stage with one quarter.
Back then you had no choice since the game had no continue option, unlike the Ms. Pac/Galaga remake. 200 stages with one quarter? Try doing it with one SHIP!
Which in fact after 99, the number flip over since it shows only double digits so 1 is 101, etc.

Also to add, the infamous 'enemy ship stop firing' trick does NOT work on the remakes. The very first ones made had the flaw however Midway made a chip upgrade to correct it. Heh...I still remember the nifty little tricks on Tempest, Joust, Donkey Kong Junior, Sinistar and Dig Dug that drove arcade operators NUTZ and made me a very hated person during the early 80's local arcade scene.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
My mother would get drunk, read the bible too much and then beat me with a yard stick or box of saran-wrap until I reached level 99 in the pain department…then I'd normally reset to level one…with a bit of time...

Damn you had it easy, brah.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well crap, I've made it to stage 150, I gave up as my hand and finger were killing me. I may try to hit stage 255 some day.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
If I'm not getting my games mixed up, the Japanese version of Gaplus also has an ending screen. If you get to a certain point and die you get a message in Japanese saying that you played well and to contact a member who used to work at Namco if you found the message. I'm not sure if anybody ever "won" but I thought that was cool that they put that in. (Sadly I saw it off of Tumblr, good luck weeding through that place to find it)