weird about PS moded chip

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
PS is the only console I got moded.
Other than that, I have two for each console (US & JPN).

I've read a lot of articles and heard from my friends regarding moded chip problems they have.

Some moded chip can't play certain games (Strider 2, Dino Crisis 2, Dino Crisis, FF VIII, and etc..) but others can.

Normally I can play any game (US/JPN) on my PS and have no problem with territorial lock or anything.

Anyone wants to share?

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
I don't have any *personal* experiences with modchips, but judging from other peoples' experiences there are actually only certain modchips that will play those above mentioned games.

The reason these games won't play on certain modchips is that the game companies in conjunction with Sony have developed a so-called anti-piracy method. Some of these games are programmed to actually *detect* your modchip and prevent itself from loading, therefore locking you out of the game. While this is great to stop people from playing burned games and stuff, it does lock out a lot of import players.

If you wish to play these games with your old modchip, you'll either have to use a GameShark code to break through it, or you're gonna have to burn yourself a copy of the game with the protection cracked so you can *legally* play a backup.

Newer modchips called "StealthMODs" attempt to get around this protection by first remaining active as the PSX is loading the game, then disabling itself before the game can detect the modchip. However, the game companies are getting rather persistent with these anti-piracy measures... some newer games actually can detect StealthMODs.

And don't even get me started with the 9000 (Summer 2000) series PSXes...

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Its all just too much for me!
If I can't play games without soldering anything into my consoles, I dont bother!

Sometimes I've bought import consoles but I never "mod" pal ones, except a boot disk to play imports on my DC.

You cant keep up with it all now, like Iie-kyo says, you get the console modded, the company gets around it, you need a "Stealthmod", where does it end?
Son-of-stealthmod
Starwars-stealthmod
son-of-starwars-stealthmod,
Bugger it! All consoles should be like DC!
One nice little free disk off the front of a magasine, and I can play ANY games on it!
I dont play burns, but I do get the odd import.

HEY SILENT!
Thought you said you're not a collector?
Just how many consoles do you own buddy??

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Hey, I'm not a collector but gamer.
I just want to play the game I like.
I hate pirate game and emul as well.
PS is the only machine I have got moded.
How many systems do I have?
Besides Atari, Lynx, 3DO, PCFX, Supergrafx, FM Marty, Supergun, tiger.com and Virtual Boy, I have everything.

OK, here is something that i can help out on. The PSX mod chips have been made in many variaties. Every time SONY sees a new mod chip they try to find a way around it. So, if you have an older mod chip in your system and you boot it with a US game in it and it comes up with the famous "contact SONY" message then all you have to do to "turn off the mod chip" is reset the system using the reset button. This essentially just "turns off the mod". This is necessary if you have any of the older mods w/o the stealth technology and you want to play a newer domestic game. Hope that helps.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I moded my PS 4 years ago therefore I assume mine has an old chip. Guess what, I've never had any problem loading any game.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Try Dance Dance Revolution (the Japanese versions of course)... especially 3rd and 4th Mix.

They're modded.