Arcade Beat-'Em-Ups...

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I am going to be actively seeking out arcade PCB's for some of the great beat-'em-ups that never made it to console (or if they did, it was a lousy port). Here is my basic list (what I came up with in the first thirty seconds I thought about the topic). What other titles are out there I ought to seek out?

Final Fight
TeenAge Mutant Ninja Turtles
TeenAge Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Turtles In Time
P.O.W.
X-Men
The Avengers
Captain Commando
Bad Dudes (Hey, it has President Ronnie in it, I HAVE to get it)
wink.gif

BattleToads

I know I am forgetting several, but it is early, give me a break.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

[This message has been edited by BioMotor_Unitron (edited January 18, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
These come to mind:

Double Dragon 1~3
Spider Man (not sure of exact title)
Golden Axe series
Knights of the Round

You could always look on some emulation sites for suggestions to jog your memory.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited January 18, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

Good suggestions, dudes.. It feels good to not be the only one who is in to side-scroll beatups.

I believe Spider-man was a sega title (and a good one at that).

Let's see.. What else?

Captain Commando - a little cheesy, but fun.
Combatribes by Technos
Final Fight 2,3 on SNES
GROWL by Taito
Alien vs Predator (Capcom game - GODLY if you can find it)

And don't forget the best ones of them all-
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom &
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over mysteria

My hats off to you with honors if you can find the ROMS of the D&D games. I hear the arcade machines are rare as can be and worth over $10K !!!!! WOW! I guess no one wants to give them up to dump them.??

------------------
Phantasy Star Online 2001.30.01
A simple formula
Phantasy Star + Sonic Team + Online = No life and no regrets.

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

endgamer

Another Striker
Hey DigiPunk I saw Capcom's Aliens Vs. Predator at the arcade years ago and always hoped that it would be converted to a home system but it never made it. It would be most cool if it came out for the Dcast. Thanks for the memory flash.

D

DigiPunk

Boy, you and I both. That game is one of my top ten fave beatemups. We can only dream, huh? Maybe in a future capcom collection, perhaps??

------------------
A simple formula

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
Don't forget The Simpsons, I loved that game.

And DJ Boy- ass kicking on rollerblades!!
You can't beat that!

Memories........

I think I'm going to cry.

------------------

And knowing is half the battle.

K

kyoisthekof

Some good ones would be:
Double Dragon
The Simpsons
X Men
TMNT
TMNT Turtles in Time
Street Smart
Aliens vs. Predator
Spiderman
Captain America and the Avengers

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Ah yes, I remembered The Simpsons after I made my initial post yesterday. Another I remembered was Ninja Gai Den. I forgot about Knights Of The Round and the Golden Axe series (apparently I was thinking of fists and feet only, and not swords)
wink.gif

I already have the original Double Dragon PCB, never played 2 or 3. As for the D&D games, we have them set out side by side at one of our zones, and they still rake in the quarters, but I have dibs if/when my boss decides to sell them. Until then, I need to track down a copy of the Saturn port, since the PSX version never materialised due to lack of RAM on the part of the system.

Aliens VS. Predator is a great one too, especially on a big screen set-up.

Also, I have not forgotten about your emails, NeoBomberMan, I am just extremely busy right now.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Also, I have not forgotten about your emails, NeoBomberMan, I am just extremely busy right now.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

That's fine. I understand: I don't really expect people to have the near-endless leisure time that's accompanied me throughout my life. I'm rather patient in fact.

And Double Dragon II is quite worth picking up if you get the chance. I still have great memories of playing this multi-player in the arcades with people I didn't know. It was slow as can be on RAINE last time I tried, which was looong ago, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. III is much the same as the NES one I'm told- never played the arcade one myself but if you like the home version you're probably bound to like the arcade one, or so the equation normally goes.

G

gokusama26

Originally posted by DigiPunk:
Alien vs Predator (Capcom game - GODLY if you can find it)

And don't forget the best ones of them all-
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom &
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over mysteria

My hats off to you with honors if you can find the ROMS of the D&D games. I hear the arcade machines are rare as can be and worth over $10K !!!!! WOW! I guess no one wants to give them up to dump them.??

My local arcade (Planet Pinball in Lawrence) has D&D: Shadow over Mystaria or whatever, and AVP. I play AVP every time I go there. Then I hit the MVS and MSX! But the MVS desperatley needs new buttons. To tell you the truth, I have never even touched the D&D game. Maybe I'll give it a try. I can get pics if no one believes me about the D&D game. I'm going to contact the owner about purchasing the MVS unit....

[This message has been edited by gokusama26 (edited January 19, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

Oh, you guys mentioned some great ones. I have fond memories of SNKs Street Smart.. It was ok on Genesis, but rock-solid in the arcade.

Another one I don't believe was mentioned is Capcom's Punisher. Great game and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

------------------
A simple formula

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

DigiPunk - Part time Evil SNK, Full time hardcore gamer.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How cold ya'll forget "the Simpsons"
that was a sweet game at the skating rink ....back in the day
Digipunk listed some sweet ones as well

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Originally posted by endgamer:
Hey DigiPunk I saw Capcom's Aliens Vs. Predator at the arcade years ago and always hoped that it would be converted to a home system but it never made it. It would be most cool if it came out for the Dcast. Thanks for the memory flash.
Actually, I believe that AvsP was ported to either SNES or Genesis, but it was a horrible port. you could only play as a Predator(warrior type, I believe) and the levels were all different. Does anyone know of an online store that sells arcade units at decent prices(and reasonably cheap shipping)? That is the one arcade game that I would definetly buy if I had the cash!!!

------------------
How does it feel to be well done?...but I bet you taste terrible
winpose.gif

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
Undercover Cops is one of my favorite's. I haven't been able to find it though. The Punisher is my number one arcade beat-em up.

G

gokusama26

Originally posted by DigiPunk:
Oh, you guys mentioned some great ones. I have fond memories of SNKs Street Smart.. It was ok on Genesis, but rock-solid in the arcade.

Another one I don't believe was mentioned is Capcom's Punisher. Great game and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

The Punisher was Ported to the Genesis (quite well too), incase you did not know.

S

Silent_Scope

Undercover cop never didn't see the light of day coz Irem had problem in financing or something. Too bad.....
Final Fight on Sega CD is an arcade-perfect.
D&D on Saturn is excellent but with major slowdown.
Rest of those beat-m-up games are too repetitive. Don't waste your money on them unless they are really good.

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Hey man. If you're looking for good Beat-em-Ups definitely look out for a game called Violent Storm. It's quite good, made by Konami IIRC, and it's very violent (hence the name "Violent Storm".) I have a full P.O.W kit (PCB, marquee, manual) but I don't know if I'm looking to get rid of it... You can look at a list of my other PCBs here:
http://gametz.net/user/chainsawyak.html

Everybody else listed some really good ones. One of my friends has Violent Storm, i'm thinking of snagging it from him, but if i do it's mine!
smile.gif
Hehe, talk to you later man.

------------------
--Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
Tempest X000!!!

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
Anyone remember NARC? that was fun.....definite quarter muncher though...

My friend has Alien vs. Predator....cps....

Also who could forget Rush'n attack? Aliens Konami arcade version...Sly Spy..

and my all time favorite game....

Shinobi...I love that bonus round...throwing chinese stars at the bad guys what fun that was....

I thought the Japanese Mega CD version of Final Fight was an excellent port with no censoring....

------------------
25713188.gif

The fire burns in my soul.

[This message has been edited by djbomberman (edited January 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by djbomberman (edited January 23, 2001).]

D

DigiPunk

"You were correct, DigiPunk, Spider-Man was by Sega. Here is some more info + pics: http://www.klov.com/S/Spider-Man.html
I really want this game when I have enough space!"

Thank you- I will go check it out.

------------------
A simple formula

ss2_cafnicotinestand.gif

DigiPunk - Part time Evil SNK, Full time hardcore gamer.

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
AvP on SNES was not the arcade title. I wish it was...

The arcade title is awesome. My favorite character is the Predator Warrior. I had some killer combos with him. If you trap an enemy in the corner, you can really juggle the hell out of him.

Here are others I like...
The first two Double Dragons (3 left me disappointed)
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
The Punisher (the Genesis port sucks, IMO)
Two Crude (The Genesis version is not bad, but it cannot hold a candle to the real thing)
Growl
Missing In Action (it's Rush 'N Attack II)
Thunder Fox (Genesis version was missing a few things like the gyrocopter and jeep rides).
Superman (you fly in this one, and it has some shooter scenes)

Jackal
gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com