PDA

View Full Version : Terraonion announces the MegaSD FPGA Sega CD/Mega-CD for your Megadrive and Genesis

Yodd
06-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Announced during the TO Direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fE0GR9prQE

Purchase from our store:
https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products/16-megasd_megacd_segacd_fpga_cartridge.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 17th 2019

Terraonion
press@terraonion.com

Terraonion announce MegaSD for Sega Mega Drive and Genesis consoles
Worlds first optical disc emulator for Sega CD/Mega-CD

Andorra la Vella, Andorra: Terraonion today announced the all new MegaSD cartridge for Sega Mega Drive and Genesis consoles. The MegaSD is an all-in-one FPGA cartridge that duplicates the Sega CD/Mega-CD hardware and allows owners to play these games back from a microSD card. The MegaSD also is a general purpose rom flashcart allowing the playing of Mega Drive and Genesis cartridge games.

Features and benefits of the MegaSD include:

* World’s First Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator
* Plays both ISOS (bin+cue) and ROMS
* Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD/Sega CD bios
* Supports Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega CD/Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)
* Fully Supports original Mega Drive and Genesis hardware (Nomad included)
* Fully compatible with Analogue Mega Sg!
* Easy to use interface for navigating your collection with screenshots, genre, year and description
* Save State support for Mega Drive and Genesis Cartridge games (8 slots)
* Built in cheat engine for Mega Drive and Genesis cartridge games
* Emulates all different Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System/32x cartridge mappers.
* Stores all different Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System/32x cartridge saves onto microSD card.
* Per game Mega-CD/Sega CD Backup RAM and Cartridge RAM stored into microSD card
* Master System FM Core
* In-Game menu for fast reboot and swapping games(Genesis/Mega Drive and Mega-CD/Sega CD)
* Enhanced Mega Drive games with CD audio and Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware (MSU1 like)
* 400GB Exfat microSD supported

MegaSD will be available starting today, at 250 Euros with shipping starting early August. For more information on MegaSD, visit Terraonion.com.

Terraonion – A world class leader in FPGA based flashcarts and optical disc emulators.

https://i.postimg.cc/cJcn2bdq/Whats-App-Image-2019-04-17-at-20-48-444.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/B6Y1QP8M/Whats-App-Image-2019-04-17-at-20-48-446.jpg

Tripredacus
06-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Now it all makes sense...

Carless Walker
06-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Neat stuff Todd. I like the addition of the save state feature. (As a parent this is the single greatest gaming quality of life improvement one could ask for)

Gentlegamer
06-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Who have review units been sent to?

Plastiq
06-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Who have review units been sent to?

I know one was sent to bob at retrorgb.

egg_sanwich
06-17-2019, 05:44 PM
The Virtua Racing-style cart shell is a nice touch. Very period appropriate :-J

boogieman
06-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Nice. Congrats on the new product.

Neorebel
06-18-2019, 08:00 PM
This looks awesome!

monads
06-19-2019, 11:54 PM
I was almost about to order another Everdrive cart but then this popped up!!! So I'm in!!

fenikso
06-24-2019, 11:49 AM
This thing looks pretty awesome. I'm definitely getting one next tax season.

Will using the adapter that plugs into the expansion port allow you to dump your own carts?

Tron
06-25-2019, 02:30 AM
Modern Vintage Gamer review is up.
i569jGYkDiU
I'm really tempted by this product.I wouldn't mind having one just as backup for playing sega-cd games.

oliverclaude
06-25-2019, 03:28 AM
I'm really tempted by this product.I wouldn't mind having one just as backup for playing sega-cd games.

Yeah, this all-in-one thing makes it perfectly attractive.

Yodd
07-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Promo Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunNioxQxbk

pixeljunkie
07-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Promo Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunNioxQxbk

I saw that on Youtube earlier, hahaha great job!

kitkit.com
07-20-2019, 01:40 AM
Came across the Mega SD device on their website and it looks promising. Got to give credit to the Terraonion team. They keep rolling out cool stuff and keep sucking up more money from my wallet!

city41
07-20-2019, 12:39 PM
MegaSDs should be shipping soon

video showing the final packaging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=5F0Xb1iBD5U

recent terraonion tweet:

#MegaSD update! Boxes, manuals and cart stickers have arrived! Cartridge shells arrived a few weeks ago! So we are all geared up for the MegaSD release.

https://twitter.com/terraonion/status/1152243039383015426

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_2W7wFXsAEdP6F?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_2W7w2WkAAIYmD?format=jpg&name=360x360

betterdavid
07-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Nice. Really hoping that my order makes it into the first wave.

city41
07-21-2019, 02:39 PM
My MegaSD has shipped.

-SD-
08-03-2019, 09:02 PM
I got a shipping notification yesterday, really quite looking forward to it...

Grendell
08-06-2019, 04:01 PM
If someone already got his mega SD how much vat/customs did you have to pay on your side... Won't be sheap for us all now

I really hope dhl doesn't do advanced payment on vat because they charge extra for it and don't ask beforehand

Max
08-07-2019, 06:42 AM
I think they ship from Europe so you do not have to pay any duties on it.....But I'd wait for confirmation here......

GohanX
08-07-2019, 08:57 AM
They're shipping from Andorra, which is not part of the EU.

Max
08-07-2019, 09:41 AM
so summing up you should pay some duties.....if you are lucky enough you might get away with it......hope for you!!!!

Grendell
08-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Yea as first I thought the shipping will come from Europe like the others did but they moved to Andorra..... With only one post office employee.... Shipping will now take a longe time and hope not this post office employee/ small post office will get sick, iam not so sure that moving to Andorra was a smart move

Taxes are not the problem but I guess shipping times will explode now

wyo
08-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Yea as first I thought the shipping will come from Europe like the others did but they moved to Andorra..... With only one post office employee.... Shipping will now take a longe time and hope not this post office employee/ small post office will get sick, iam not so sure that moving to Andorra was a smart move

Taxes are not the problem but I guess shipping times will explode now

I heard Rot is moving to Andorra to handle parcel packing.

Max
08-07-2019, 12:54 PM
I was thinking about buying one of these but if delivery time is put off I won't order it.....

Kid Panda
08-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Mine will be here today, must suck to live in the EU where the govt takes all your money then spends it on the royal wedding.

city41
08-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Mine arrived. Haven't had a chance to try it. The build quality is top notch.

city41
08-09-2019, 12:32 AM
Damn this thing is awesome. Been playing Sol Feace all evening, pretty cool shooter.

pixeljunkie
08-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Damn this thing is awesome. Been playing Sol Feace all evening, pretty cool shooter.

This is definitely on my "to-buy" list....eventually

Shuri
08-10-2019, 02:21 PM
The shipping situation is ridiculous. Especially since it was pretty expensive in the first case. 18 euros for 'express shipping' and lots of people won't get them until a few weeks..

PSICODROMO
08-10-2019, 04:34 PM
it will be possible play Sonic Megamix (Sonic hack for MegaCD) ?

RAZO
08-10-2019, 05:12 PM
The shipping situation is ridiculous. Especially since it was pretty expensive in the first case. 18 euros for 'express shipping' and lots of people won't get them until a few weeks..

You have to pay to play.

Grendell
08-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Got mail from Terraonion today..... Doesn't sound good

"Due to the sheer number of shipments being sent out, this process could take up to 3 weeks to complete"

Was this really a good move? Why does someone move his business to a location with such a small post office.... Don't care for taxes but shipping that could take weeks why?

Hopefully it's faster

... Andorra is a bit near to Germany than Spain and shipping could possibly take longer than from every other point in the world

wyo
08-12-2019, 05:21 PM

"Due to the sheer number of shipments being sent out, this process could take up to 3 weeks to complete"

Was this really a good move? Why does someone move his business to a location with such a small post office.... Don't care for taxes but shipping that could take weeks why?

Hopefully it's faster

... Andorra is a bit near to Germany than Spain and shipping could possibly take longer than from every other point in the world

Do you have some kind of gaming emergency?

RAZO
08-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Word.

GohanX
08-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Hopefully it's faster

Because if they hadn't moved out of Spain this would cost $400-500 instead.

Grendell
08-13-2019, 01:10 PM

That not the point, I just don't like it when something is lying around for a long time in a unknown post warehouse

If you are OK with waiting a few weeks even when you don't expect it good for you

Especially when last orders went really fast, anyway I know you don't care

Yodd
08-13-2019, 05:05 PM
The email is just an FYI. Supposedly customs will start clearing more packages tomorrow so hopefully any wait is less.

Finch
08-13-2019, 05:17 PM
This seems super cool and Im pretty tempted to pick one up. I'm already planning to get a Mega SG so this would be a nice addition. Just wondering though, there are rumors that the jailbreak firmware for the Mega SG that already allows SD card rom loading will be given 32x support. If that is done, is the advantage of this that it does CD games too?

Rot
08-13-2019, 05:54 PM
All whiners... plz direct emails about late shit to: ng.dev_takeyourmoney_anddon'tdeliverfor4years@pre_ orderrape.com

Plz make all emails FAO: fuckyou

Kthx... motherfuckers...

xROTx

Rot
08-13-2019, 06:14 PM
I am going to put an aside here... following my last post...

I APPRECIATE... that The Terraonion Team... including our Yodd would prefer this to be a factual... less confrontational type deal...

However, I would point out that with certain advantages gained... you will get certain disadvantages...

Terraonion gets the powerhouse earning income of this sites members... and Ng.com gets footfall...

HOWEVER... being on this site isn't some homogeneous human cloning experiment... you will definitely get some input from weird members... including an older and very jaded Azn...

xROTx

city41
08-13-2019, 10:54 PM
If that is done, is the advantage of this that it does CD games too?

Yes, but I'd say that's a huge advantage. The Sega CD has lots of great games. And not having to deal with dying drives, caps that need replacing, the bulk, and worst of all the extra power supply? The MegaSD is worth its weight in gold if you ask me.

Also cart games can get CD soundtracks from what I understand, but I've not looked into that at all yet.

yoshi41
08-14-2019, 05:04 AM
Yes, but I'd say that's a huge advantage. The Sega CD has lots of great games. And not having to deal with dying drives, caps that need replacing, the bulk, and worst of all the extra power supply? The MegaSD is worth its weight in gold if you ask me.

I totally agree, great device. Even an SVP core for Virtua Racing is available with the next firmware. Just waiting for the MSDEXP to play 32X CD games.

Regarding the power supply. I'll keep my tower of power and bought this 3-in-1 power supply.

https://retrogamesupply.com/collections/sega/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-sega-megadrive-genesis-mega-cd-32x

Also cart games can get CD soundtracks from what I understand, but I've not looked into that at all yet.

For instance, the Pier Solar music is available as CD image. Just put the cart ROM and the CD images into the same directory.

Pier Solar is supported on the MegaSD (too big for Everdrives). I have the original 2nd run cart, but it crashed after playing it for many hours (and crashes again after save loading). So I will give another try with the Rev. C ROM.

Kid Panda
08-14-2019, 01:33 PM
All this talk of wanting to play 32X cd games. Tell me exactly what fucking 32X cd game is worth playing? No seriously, tell me.

RAZO
08-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Yea seriously. People complaining about no 32x support are really reaching.

Kid Panda
08-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Yea seriously. People complaining about no 32x support are really reaching.

It's the new collection world. Fucking crying about any and everything. You know, there's not like 5,000+ games to play, gotta have that fucking slam city starring Scottie pippin 32x game.

yoshi41
08-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Apologies for mentioning MSDEXP. Will not happen again. ;)

Max
08-14-2019, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=yoshi41;4379684]I totally agree, great device. Even an SVP core for Virtua Racing is available with the next firmware. Just waiting for the MSDEXP to play 32X CD games.

Regarding the power supply. I'll keep my tower of power and bought this 3-in-1 power supply.

https://retrogamesupply.com/collections/sega/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-sega-megadrive-genesis-mega-cd-32x

Very good link for the all-in-one power supply....I got it!!!!

eek
08-14-2019, 07:05 PM
All this talk of wanting to play 32X cd games. Tell me exactly what fucking 32X cd game is worth playing? No seriously, tell me.

When this MegaSD was announced and they said it doesnt do 32X cd games, I had no idea 32X cd games existed.

city41
08-15-2019, 12:49 AM
When this MegaSD was announced and they said it doesnt do 32X cd games, I had no idea 32X cd games existed.

All 5 of them are just FMV games that were also released on the Sega CD.

Mikekim
08-16-2019, 04:31 AM
Mine has arrived..
top build quality - works well. even takes multi region bios for the mega cd with no issues
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1724/b3hoRP.jpg

made and printed an insert for the universal case (just scanned the box art and modified a template in photoshop), as the original case is just cardboard and wouldn't last long under continued use without looking "dog eared"
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3592/zEKX0F.jpg

had to remove a couple of the tabs to get the cart to fit
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2051/Z4aeYe.jpg

donluca
08-16-2019, 08:34 AM
All 5 of them are just FMV games that were also released on the Sega CD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there's a version of Pitfall which uses both 32x and MegaCD which, of course, is not an FMV game.

wyo
08-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there's a version of Pitfall which uses both 32x and MegaCD which, of course, is not an FMV game.

I think there were separate 32X and Mega CD versions but not a 32X CD version.

donluca
08-16-2019, 01:45 PM
I think there were separate 32X and Mega CD versions but not a 32X CD version.

That might be it. Or maybe there was a ROM Hack which used the 32X version with the CD Soundtrack, can't remember honestly, it has been way too much time :D

oliverclaude
08-17-2019, 03:30 AM
wyo's right. 32X version was a technically a letdown, while the Sega-CD one is considered best because of added red book. Good game, btw.

Grendell
09-03-2019, 01:43 PM
To everyone who ordered from Germany expect to pay 60-70 Euro more

My shipping arrived somewhere in Germany, DHL tracking won't show you the fees but In the end you will have to pay 19% + around 15, - dhl fees because they payed the tax upfront

Tron
09-09-2019, 01:09 AM
Since it's release last month the reviews are coming in.Here is mylifeingaming review of it.
5dagh9m8l1M

Phades
12-10-2019, 01:54 AM
Mine has arrived..
top build quality - works well. even takes multi region bios for the mega cd with no issues......

I love what you did for the case/art. Looks great!

I've been toying with getting one of these since I just bought a Analogue Mega SG..... Tried to convince the wife to do it for Christmas, but I doubt that will happen.

max 330 mega
12-10-2019, 03:40 AM
I love what you did for the case/art. Looks great!

I've been toying with getting one of these since I just bought a Analogue Mega SG..... Tried to convince the wife to do it for Christmas, but I doubt that will happen.Settle down, Beavis. You can wait til tax returns.

HawkJ229
05-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Anyone else experiencing a small bug with the sound when loading Shining Force CD at the game's main menu? It's like a quick distorting sound.

GutsDozer
05-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Interested to see some of the lads reviews .

RAZO
05-12-2020, 06:58 PM
It's on the pricey side but does the job well. I've been using it with my Mega Sg and it works great. Haven't had any issues running any sega cd games.

I do have issues with my original Mega Drive and Genesis. It sometimes crashes at the menu. This doesnt happen with my Mega SG. Could either be a voltage issue or possibly a recap on the old hardware.

GutsDozer
05-12-2020, 07:03 PM
I wonder if it would work on my CDX. That's probably pushing it.

RAZO
05-12-2020, 09:14 PM
I wonder if it would work on my CDX. That's probably pushing it.

I'm not a 100% sure but I know it doesn't work with a Sega genesis and sega CD add on plugged in so I'm thinking the combo units like X eye and cdx wouldn't work either for the SCD games.