Restoring csync on AES 3-6 revision?

Beelay

New Challenger
I have a 3-6 AES and am getting dot crawl through RGB. I've been reading up around the internet and I'm assuming that this is because the 3-6 board doesn't have csync.
I've read in several places that you can restore this with a simple trace cut + solder job (especially this post), but no matter where I go, the images for these tutorials are dead.
I'm not sure exactly what to do. Could anyone help me out? Which trace should I cut and where am I tapping sync from/to?
I know I need to solder to pin 3 or 7 (or both), so if someone could show me where the pads for those pins are too, that would be really helpful.

I've already performed the jailbar-fixing trace cut and the audio reversal mod, so this is the last thing I need to get perfect RGB!

EDIT: I've been researching some more and I think I've figured this out, but I would still like someone to confirm.
I found this image of the pinout for the DIN socket. Assuming I want to solder to pin 7, I cut the trace to the pad in this image and solder to that, is that right?

Looking at RGB bypass mods, I can see what pads they're using for sync, for example the yellow cable in this image.
Because people say to to pull csync directly from the CXA1145P chip, I imagine I want to solder from the pad on the left side of this image to the above mentioned pin 7 pad. Am I correct in these assumptions?

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
AES 3-6 outputs csync without mods. The only RGB mod that usually gets performed on that board is cutting the traces under the crystal oscillator to clean up the vertical lines.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
First time I have heard of it honestly. If that is truly the case you wouldn't want the pure csync. You would want to ensure it was properly attenuated otherwise it will likely give you more issues.

Are you sure your issue is being caused by lack of csync?

Beelay

New Challenger
I've seen this said in multiple places, for example the bottom of the first post here

I'm not certain this is what's causing my issue, but I feel like it likely is. Here's a thread about the same issue, and this person eventually solved it by doing the standard RGB bypass, specifically where changing to csync removed the checkerboard pattern. I've read in multiple other places that doing the whole bypass is unnecessary, and just sync is enough.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
It's easy enough to test it out and see if it fixes the issue before doing the full bypass. I have 4 3-6 boards here right now and haven't personally seen checkerboarding but I know how much of an annoyance it can be.

Beelay

New Challenger
It's easy enough to test it out and see if it fixes the issue before doing the full bypass. I have 4 3-6 boards here right now and haven't personally seen checkerboarding but I know how much of an annoyance it can be.
Yeah, it sounds like the best course of action for right now.
Can you confirm that I'm right in my first post in terms of what to solder where?

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah if you wanted to test it you take the csync signal from the cxa1145 like your second picture and connect it to pin 7 of the DIN8. You can desolder the component that is feeding pin 7 if you want to make it reversible without patching. Pretty sure it's a resistor that you can desolder one leg of and then lift.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
csync.jpg

Composite video is lost and both pin 3 and 7 on the DIN port are composite sync. If you want to have both csync and cvideo you need to add a 470u cap and 75 ohm resistor for csync.

Beelay

New Challenger
View attachment 49281

Composite video is lost and both pin 3 and 7 on the DIN port are composite sync. If you want to have both csync and cvideo you need to add a 470u cap and 75 ohm resistor for csync.

Oh, that's a much easier solution than what I was thinking! Thanks very much!
I don't really care about keeping cvideo, so this works for me!
Do you think csync will solve my checkboarding issue?

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I cannot solve problems, I can give you the illusion.

Beelay

New Challenger
Just went ahead and performed this mod, and it fixed the issue I was having completely!
All the checkerboarding and dot crawl is gone, and now it looks crisp as hell running through my OSSC.
Thanks very much for your help, MKL!

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Just went ahead and performed this mod, and it fixed the issue I was having completely!
All the checkerboarding and dot crawl is gone, and now it looks crisp as hell running through my OSSC.
Thanks very much for your help, MKL!
You had checkerboarding on a 3-6? I thought that was only a 3-5 problem.

That said, I’d also like to resotore CSYNC for use with my OSSC but I’d like to retain composite support for occasional use with my Genesis composite cables. Thanks for the thread!