PDA

View Full Version : 161in1 understanding its logic.

Razoola
01-11-2018, 03:05 AM
I have decided to take a look how the 161in1 multicarts work and post details here. Hopefully this info will be helpful in the event somone works out how to reprogram devices holding game into.

I will update this thread as and when I get new information. I reveived one this morning which I bought from ebay last week, total cost 72.99 euro including the shipping.

Ok, lets get started with the basics. From cold boot the carts NGH is 0x9237

Moving quickly on, decided to first look at how the trigger works once a game is playing. Selected AOF2 and then using PC-2-NEO dumped the sucker and quickly isolated the injected code. It is placed into the game by altering the games vector table and then returns to the games vblank when execution iscomplete.

As follows;

161vbl MOVEM.L D0-D7/A0-A6,-(A7)
MOVE.B 0x380000,D0
CMPI.B #0xFE,D0 ; ! this why reset dosen't work !
BEQ timer ; ! when a memory card is present !
MOVE.W #0x0,0x10FF20
BRA exit

timer ADDI.W #0x1,0x10FF20 ; only trigger after 0x12C frames.
MOVE.W 0x10FF20,D0
CMPI.W #0x12C,D0
BEQ break
BRA exit

break MOVE.W #0x0,0x10FF20 ; put code in RAM and execute,
MOVE.W #0x0,D3 ; see RAM routine below for code.
LEA 0x100200,A4
MOVEA.L A4,A5
MOVE.L #0x33FC0F0F,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x2FFFF0,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x4E7133C3,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x2FFFF2,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x4E7133C3,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x2FFFF6,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x4E7133C3,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x2FFF00,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x4E714E70,(A4)+
MOVE.L #0x4EF900C0,(A4)+
MOVE.W #0x402,(A4)
JMP (A5)

exit NOP
MOVEM.L (A7)+,D0-D7/A0-A6
JMP 0x8F84 ; original game vbl start.

/ Generated code in RAM /

ram MOVE.W #0x0F0F,0x2FFFF0 ; ports controlling multicart, D3=0x0000
NOP
MOVE.w D3,0x2FFFF2
NOP
MOVE.w D3,0x2FFFF6
NOP
MOVE.w D3,0x2FFF00
NOP
RESET
JMP 0x00C00402 ; restart neogeo boot cycle.

It is really quite straight forward and its clear what is happening. The custom ports are not currently understood (I only had the cart 10 minutes now) but I suspect they control start offsets in the flash ROM space.

Things to note here is the very poor check of the 1UP start button which breaks when a memory card present and the uneeded storing of some registers to the stack. Only four registers are used but they save them all. In fact the entire code could have been written using only two resgisters easily (or even none).

Who knows what my next post on this multicart will discover. :)

Razoola
01-11-2018, 04:52 AM
Looking a little deeper selecting a game is really quite simple...

If one wants to select game 04 (KOF 94) then use the following;

MOVE.W #0x0F0F,0x2FFFF0
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0004,0x2FFFF2
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0004,0x2FFFF6
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0004,0x2FFF00
NOP

To select game 17 (KOF 98);

MOVE.W #0x0F0F,0x2FFFF0
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0011,0x2FFFF2
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0011,0x2FFFF6
NOP
MOVE.w #0x0011,0x2FFF00
NOP

On one side this is very straight forward. On the other it means start offsets (in flash chips) of each games data is stored inside the PCB's ICs and probably cannot be changed without reprogramming it. I was kind of hoping for a table in the menu UI coding so these offsets could be easily manipulated.

There is another custom port 0x2FFFE0 which looks to allow the reading of data from the PCBs IC (which may pull data directly from the flash chips). I have not looked into this properly but it seems to allow the reading of SoftDIPs and backupRAM for stored games without the need to move the entire game into the NeoGeo memory space first. This is entirely speculation on my part but does look about right from what I see so far.

Morden
01-11-2018, 05:48 AM
Exciting stuff, Raz. I'm assuming the point of this is to figure out exactly how things work and possibly improve upon what's already there. Would be nice if a cheapo multigame could be turned into a mostly bug free multi with a better game selection.

daskrabs
01-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Which revision of the 161 are you using?

Razoola
01-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Which revision of the 161 are you using?

I am really not sure, how can one tell the difference?

Morden
01-11-2018, 07:29 AM
Is this simply exploratory, or do you have plans for the 161-in-1, granted its architecture meets your expectations? If it were possible to turn this into a greatly improved multi, with a better game selection and a better menu, this could be a low cost alternative to the currently available flash devices. I wonder if this would be a feasable business model. Buying a stock of these, making the alterations, possibly adding new labels, and re-selling the improved version.

Razoola
01-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Looking a little more at the custom port 0x2FFFE0, it seems related to SoftDIPs only. From what I can tell thus far, the cart stores and recalls set SoftDIPs using it. I do not know at this point if this means the multicart is able to remember the softdips for all games it holds or if it comes with default softDIPs already stored.

It seems SoftDIPS are only saved when you return to the menu to choose a new game.

I'm not to sure about it at all at the moment, I seem to remember reading somewhere at some point there was a way to set easy, medium or hard levels with the multicart in one go for all games. Is that right?

NeoField
01-11-2018, 10:21 AM
This is awesome, keep up the great work! People will speak of your contribution to the Neo Geo 100 years from now Razoola!

Montatez
01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Is this simply exploratory, or do you have plans for the 161-in-1, granted its architecture meets your expectations? If it were possible to turn this into a greatly improved multi, with a better game selection and a better menu, this could be a low cost alternative to the currently available flash devices. I wonder if this would be a feasable business model. Buying a stock of these, making the alterations, possibly adding new labels, and re-selling the improved version.

Not sure it would be cost effective though. The 161 has some problems but being to replace most of the games for games not on the cart would be nice.

daskrabs
01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
I am really not sure, how can one tell the difference?

I don't know for sure either, but there's been at least 2 revisions. GadgetUK's thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257061-PCM-Sound-amp-Stability-Fixes-Multicarts-120-in-1-138-in-1-161-in-1-and-others) has lots of pics in it. That might help.

Morden
01-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Not sure it would be cost effective though. The 161 has some problems but being to replace most of the games for games not on the cart would be nice.

I wonder, though. It's a complete and working PCB with a shell for ~ $55 or $60. NeoSD is $480, and I don't even know how much the Darksoft cartridge goes for. A multi with a more or less permanent selection of games isn't the same as a flash cartridge, but ...

I don't own a 161 in 1, or any other multi cart for that matter. I know they contain hacks, though. The "Plus" versions of certain games, which unlock boss characters, skip levels, etc. The list of hack on 161 in 1 is available here (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?222475-161-in-1-Game-Breakdown). There are 64 hacks in total, most of them are hacks of large games. Some of these "Plus" titles are available as ROM images online, and can be played using the NeoSD. I'm wondering if the 161 in 1 contains complete hacked images of these games, or does it patch one KoF '98 ROM to get "Plus", "Orochi" and "Ultimate" hacks.

If it does, that's too bad. If it doesn't, we have 2049 Megabits we could possibly use for other titles, leaving only the original KoF '98 ROM. This would apply to all of the hacks if they indeed are complete ROM images, just taking up space.

The problem is, there probably isn't a way of reprogramming the chips without desoldering them, and that's a lot of desoldering. This is what would effectively kill any kind of profitability, as it would be extremely time consuming.

I am hoping though, that while exploring this Chinese beauty, Raz will create the ultimate multi, even if it's only a proof of concept, to show that it can be done, and how it's done. I could see this becoming the ultimate do it yourself project for Neo fans. Buy a 161 in 1, desolder and reprogram everything, and make yourself a all in one, complete Neo cartridge.

[OCEAN]
01-12-2018, 01:16 AM
Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing Raz!

Razoola
01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
I have had some fun with the 161in1 today.. I think I might have to made a video tomorrow :)

aha2940
01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
I have had some fun with the 161in1 today.. I think I might have to made a video tomorrow :)

Very interesting findings Raz. It owuld be very cool if you found a way to improve the quality of the roms stored in these things (replace Garou rom, fix roms to not start in 8-difficulty by default, maybe remove some unneeded hacks or replace them with missing games), since GadgetUK already helped fixing the sound with some capacitors and stuff.

kuze
01-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Would be really cool if the 161-in-1 had some sort of internal functionality to rewrite the flash chips and you could potentially do so using an MVS board and a PC-2-NEO or something.

Looking forward to hearing more of your findings, Raz!

Razoola
01-12-2018, 03:49 PM
The 161in1 does look to save SoftDIPs on board but I have no idea if its writing them to one of those large flash chips or some internal flash on the large IC... Anyone have any specs on that large IC or thoughts of that? What I have found out is if you do not have the region set to Japan some games can be quite buggy due to the UI always pulling a Japanese created backup RAM store from the UI memory. For example when I'm in EURO region aerofighters 3 goes all weird (static bullets etc), in Japan it is fine. Anyone else get this same issue with this game?

I have a feeling the video I do is gonna get some people hyped :)

aha2940
01-12-2018, 04:13 PM
For example when I'm in EURO region aerofighters 3 goes all weird (static bullets etc), in Japan it is fine. Anyone else get this same issue with this game?

Yep, it happens on my 161, and IIRC some others posted that same behavior, but I don't remember anybody ever linking it to the region, AFAIK it always has the static bullets. Gotta try again to confirm.

kuze
01-12-2018, 05:43 PM
For example when I'm in EURO region aerofighters 3 goes all weird (static bullets etc), in Japan it is fine.

Yup that was a documented issue

geise
01-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Might not be much help but on my 161-in 1 cart all games start at level-8. Changing the game level to regular default (4 I believe) remedies most of the "weird issues" with Aerofighters 3.

Razoola
01-13-2018, 12:53 AM
Is there a list somewhere all games with issues on the 161in1?

Lemony Vengeance
01-13-2018, 02:54 AM
looks and sounds interesting :D

geise
01-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Is there a list somewhere all games with issues on the 161in1?

There was some info in the major 161-in 1 thread that was going on years ago here (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?222475-161-in-1-Game-Breakdown). As far as I've seen it's mostly some sprite issues in Samurai Spirits 1, sound in intro of Sam Spirits 2 (I can't telll), same with sound in Pulstar which is really only noticeable to people that own the original. If using a US Bios, Metal Slug 3 has corrupt graphics at the warning screen before the title. There is also people saying Last Blade 2 has random resets, but I have yet to have this issue with mine. Even when playing LB2 for more than an hour straight. I use my cart on a MV1-FZ.

Gyrian
01-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Surprised we haven't seen a deep dive like this until now. Very interesting read, and fantastic work as always Raz. :)

Razoola
01-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Well I was going to do a video today but some things have come up, hopefully I can do it tomorrow evening or early next week.

Morden
01-13-2018, 01:34 PM
I have a feeling the video I do is gonna get some people hyped :)

Stop teasing, and tell us if those who don't have a 161 in 1 should consider getting one, with future improvements in mind!

Razoola
01-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Ok, here is a crappy quality video but I hhope you find the content within Top Quality! :)

(direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Flc9_bvwU)

U3Flc9_bvwU

Morden
01-14-2018, 07:47 AM
Amazeballs. So the alternative loading handled by the Uni BIOS? Are you planning to include this as a feature in 4.0?

joala
01-14-2018, 07:47 AM
That is fucking awesome Raz :)

Razoola
01-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Yea, all that is done via unibios so no multicart modding is required. Idealy it would be better if it was all on the cart (with it supporting the needed features), then it would be more like the NeoGeoLand tech demo.

I think it needs more work before it could go into unibios. ATM I enable it by holding start at power one. If it crashes though you need to power off and on before it will work that way again. Well I guess I could leave it in if I don't need the space for other things.... Then just leave it as a use at your own risk beta or something.

kuze
01-14-2018, 10:11 AM
That is a huge improvement to the 161 in 1 IMO. Nice work, Raz!

Very cool that it's just like switching slots on a massive multi-slot system.

Edit: One really great feature would be if the Unibios saved the last game you were playing and auto-loaded it on next bootup like a legit cart. :D

daskrabs
01-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Great work, Raz. Keep it up.

GadgetUK
01-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Very nice work =D Love that quick change between games lol =D Great job!!!

c0nn0r
01-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Now this is truly TopTier! Looking real nice Raz. Subscribed.

nam9
01-14-2018, 12:37 PM
This is awesome!
Could a similar approach work for the 120 in 1 as well?

c0nn0r
01-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Just a feature thought; in addition to manually cycling through games, would it be possible to have the games automatically cycle through attract-modes when the system is idle like a multi-slot arcade cabinet? Also, any possibility of a feature to delete some games from the list, or conversely, make a list of favorites so that we're not cycling through crap games or hacks?

Thanks again Raz. As always, really great stuff.

Morden
01-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Just a feature thought; in addition to manually cycling through games, would it be possible to have the games automatically cycle through attract-modes when the system is idle like a multi-slot arcade cabinet? Also, any possibility of a feature to delete some games from the list, or conversely, make a list of favorites so that we're not cycling through crap games or hacks?

I know this is for Raz to answer, but I feel like these features are beyond the scope of what Universe BIOS is meant to be. Keep in mind, that this only works with 161 in 1, not all of the multi cartridges. This was just an experiment to find out how things work inside this particular cartridge.

What I would like to see, is a full fledged on-cartridge implementation of NeoGeoLand, using 161 in 1 as a base. Out with the hacks, in with the NeoGeoLand menu and missing games. Easier said than done, I know, but the thought alone is so exciting.

mistahsnart
01-14-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm glad I kept my old banana slug 161 around now. Nice work, Raz!

Razoola
01-15-2018, 12:52 AM

Thanks again Raz. As always, really great stuff.

It already auto cycles games, just did not show it in the video. While altering game list is possible I just don't have space to impliment presently.

[OCEAN]
01-15-2018, 04:44 AM
Whoa, that's incredibly neat! So so much better than the horrible stock interface... and even with it, I must admit the 161 in 1 has rarely left my 4 slot cab since I got it. It's just damn convenient.

Just out of curiosity, what's keeping it from working on a multi-slot? The "slot emulation" itself?

Great work!

Razoola
01-15-2018, 04:52 AM
Just the fact that I have not tested it. I guess it probably would work providing all the other slots are empty.

joala
01-15-2018, 05:00 AM
At least we know one new feature for Unibios v4 ;)

[OCEAN]
01-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Just the fact that I have not tested it. I guess it probably would work providing all the other slots are empty.

That's great, thanks for the reply. I usually use the 161 in 1 in the 2nd slot and with no other games in the rest of slots in fact, since I had some problems before with some configurations.

Montatez
01-15-2018, 07:44 AM
I know this is for Raz to answer, but I feel like these features are beyond the scope of what Universe BIOS is meant to be. Keep in mind, that this only works with 161 in 1, not all of the multi cartridges. This was just an experiment to find out how things work inside this particular cartridge.

What I would like to see, is a full fledged on-cartridge implementation of NeoGeoLand, using 161 in 1 as a base. Out with the hacks, in with the NeoGeoLand menu and missing games. Easier said than done, I know, but the thought alone is so exciting.

Agreed my friend.

c0nn0r
01-15-2018, 09:26 AM

This unibios feature is a low-hanging-fruit, and is something Raz can implement quickly (as we've already seen), and is something that can make a real difference to users with the 161 cart. Certainly a feature that would get folks to upgrade. For around ~$40 + ~$70, you get some of the sweet features of the ~$400 NeoSD. Many of us already have the 161, so it's an even cheaper prospect.

While I will be buying a NeoSD (and a Super CD System 3) in the future, this quick and easy upgrade from Raz would be a great little bonus to play with until I mine enough crypto to afford the above products.

WNivek
01-15-2018, 09:46 AM
I quite liked what you had shown off regarding the Neo Geo Land demo, Raz, so I'm pleased to see some of that tech making its way into something that may see release. If this is ultimately included in a future version of UniBios, I may have to consider picking up one of those multicarts.

Morden
01-15-2018, 11:13 AM
This unibios feature is a low-hanging-fruit, and is something Raz can implement quickly (as we've already seen), and is something that can make a real difference to users with the 161 cart. Certainly a feature that would get folks to upgrade. For around ~$40 + ~$70, you get some of the sweet features of the ~$400 NeoSD. Many of us already have the 161, so it's an even cheaper prospect.

While I will be buying a NeoSD (and a Super CD System 3) in the future, this quick and easy upgrade from Raz would be a great little bonus to play with until I mine enough crypto to afford the above products.

I totally agree, but like I said, ideally, I'd like this poking around the 161 in 1 to lead to something much more robust. Imagine having a proper, full multi, with all of the games, and that sweet NeoGeoLand menu. I already own NeoSD, so I shouldn't even be this excited about it, but I am.

Raz is doing great work, and hopefully, he'll take the 161 in 1 to the next level. After all, with NeoSD and Darksoft's carts on the market, there's no need for another flash device. Flash devices offer more freedom, including the ability to run homebrew code, but many people would settle for Neo's full library on one cartridge. That instant loading is just amazing, and I'd hate to see the work put into NeoGeoLand go to waste.

Razoola
01-16-2018, 02:20 PM
I did a little tidying up of the code today and got it a little cleaner. Just in case I did not make it clear before or in the video. The game changing implimented follows the settings in the MVS cabinet SoftDIPs. That means you can kind of control when swapping is allowed just like on a real multislot. In short, if you did not know better you would think its a multislot MVS. Well apart from I use 1up A & B and not the select buttons to cycle games :)

This brings a couple of dilemas...The autocycle jumps to the next game and they are all in alphabetical order. I'm wondering if it would be better to do a random order when games autocycle instead.... I also got it so it only chooses the 97 origional games... that said would if be an idea to include SVC plus and maybe remove the japanese mahjong game....

I also looked into why Aero Fighter 3 is busted in euro region and on dumping the program ROM for the game its clear.... They placed their button check code over game data..... How lame given there is space they could have used. I was really hoping it was something I could fix.

daskrabs
01-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Great work, Raz. I agree about the SVC+ and Mahjong thoughts, but a few questions: Could there be flags to disable/enable all hacks, or better, choose to show/hide each title? Is it possible to set the Difficulty soft dips to 4 by default for everything? Have you tested on a multislot board with other games installed? Could all this work on the 120in1 as well?

c0nn0r
01-16-2018, 03:06 PM
I did a little tidying up of the code today and got it a little cleaner. Just in case I did not make it clear before or in the video. The game changing implimented follows the settings in the MVS cabinet SoftDIPs. That means you can kind of control when swapping is allowed just like on a real multislot. In short, if you did not know better you would think its a multislot MVS. Well apart from I use 1up A & B and not the select buttons to cycle games :)

This brings a couple of dilemas...The autocycle jumps to the next game and they are all in alphabetical order. I'm wondering if it would be better to do a random order when games autocycle instead.... I also got it so it only chooses the 97 origional games... that said would if be an idea to include SVC plus and maybe remove the japanese mahjong game....

I also looked into why Aero Fighter 3 is busted in euro region and on dumping the program ROM for the game its clear.... They placed their button check code over game data..... How lame given there is space they could have used. I was really hoping it was something I could fix.

This is sounding like a lot of fun there Raz! Very nice to get this additional info about how it works, and what the capabilities are.

Regarding alphabetical or random switching. Why not both? :cool:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the MVS only remembers softdip settings for the last ~8 games. Will there be any way to set the softdips for all the games on the 161 when using this game switching feature?

Razoola
01-16-2018, 03:57 PM
I just don't have the space to add lots of features like in neogeoland. While the things you suggest are all very easy to do, I really don't have the space. If I add this into the next unibios it will only work one way so I need to try and work out what the best way would be and what games to add or not (so is a SVC hack better than no SVC in the list at all?. You will always be able to play all the games by the standard 161in1 menu if you want.

Morden
01-16-2018, 04:04 PM
I just don't have the space to add lots of features like in neogeoland.

How feasible is adding the NeoGeoLand menu to the cartridge program itself?

Razoola
01-16-2018, 04:07 PM
If reprogramming of the cart can be worked out then it would be very easy (although the in game popout game select menu on neogeoland might not be possible with nice graphics.

kuze
01-16-2018, 04:22 PM
I just don't have the space to add lots of features like in neogeoland. While the things you suggest are all very easy to do, I really don't have the space. If I add this into the next unibios it will only work one way so I need to try and work out what the best way would be and what games to add or not (so is a SVC hack better than no SVC in the list at all?. You will always be able to play all the games by the standard 161in1 menu if you want.

Yes the SVC hack is definitely better than no SVC at all. I'd say it's the one hack that should be left included IMO.

daskrabs
01-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Yes the SVC hack is definitely better than no SVC at all. I'd say it's the one hack that should be left included IMO.

+1

Would there be any chance of a bios just for the 161 to tailor features?

Razoola
01-16-2018, 04:36 PM
+1

Would there be any chance of a bios just for the 161 to tailor features?

No.

Montatez
01-16-2018, 09:05 PM

With hack. SvC is good no matter what. I thought the hack was just the extra characters?

Salvio007
01-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Holy shit..badass Raz!!
Looking forward to this and dusting my 161 off!

Razoola
01-17-2018, 05:41 AM
I did a little more work on it earlier today.... Now instead of simply moving to the next game in the attract mode cycle it will randomly choose a game instead. This makes it a little more intresting when left in attract mode.

While I still don't know enough about where the softdips are physically stored on the cart I have now got this so it loads the softdip settings from the cart. This means if you have stored new softDIP settings with your 161in1, my UI hack will now also use them. The only downside is this means you have to spend some time saving your updated softdips using the standard 161in1 menu.. That means.

1) boot system to the normal 161in1 gamelist menu.
2) choose a game you want to edit dips for.
3) once it boots press testmode and edit dips.
4) exit out of test mode using the menu (do not reboot neogeo)
5) hold start until the 161in1 menu comes back.
6) goto (2) and choose a new game.

The softdips get saved to the cart between step 5 and 6.

If for some reason the carts softdips get messed up and you want to default them, the following will work (you need unibios). On step 3 when in test mode, go into the hardware test and cycle to the backupRAM clear option, then press ABC. Then cycle to the crosshatch screen and press B. Once system reboots you can either hold start and procede to option 6 to save the default softDIPs or goto option 3 and set new softDIPs first.

brad808
01-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Nice work. I think I'll pick up a 161 cart.

Razoola
01-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Another quick question for those with a 161in1. Is it normal to see the unibios exception handling screen when you choose the game puzzle bobble 2? Then once you choose the reset option the game starts normally?

c0nn0r
01-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Another quick question for those with a 161in1. Is it normal to see the unibios exception handling screen when you choose the game puzzle bobble 2? Then once you choose the reset option the game starts normally?

No, this is not normal. I just tried it with my 161-in-1 and it boots directly to the parental advisoly screen.

c0nn0r
01-17-2018, 07:00 PM
I did a little more work on it earlier today.... Now instead of simply moving to the next game in the attract mode cycle it will randomly choose a game instead. This makes it a little more intresting when left in attract mode.

While I still don't know enough about where the softdips are physically stored on the cart I have now got this so it loads the softdip settings from the cart. This means if you have stored new softDIP settings with your 161in1, my UI hack will now also use them. The only downside is this means you have to spend some time saving your updated softdips using the standard 161in1 menu.. That means.

1) boot system to the normal 161in1 gamelist menu.
2) choose a game you want to edit dips for.
3) once it boots press testmode and edit dips.
4) exit out of test mode using the menu (do not reboot neogeo)
5) hold start until the 161in1 menu comes back.
6) goto (2) and choose a new game.

The softdips get saved to the cart between step 5 and 6.

If for some reason the carts softdips get messed up and you want to default them, the following will work (you need unibios). On step 3 when in test mode, go into the hardware test and cycle to the backupRAM clear option, then press ABC. Then cycle to the crosshatch screen and press B. Once system reboots you can either hold start and procede to option 6 to save the default softDIPs or goto option 3 and set new softDIPs first.

This is a great post, and great news. Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you Razoola.

Razoola
01-17-2018, 10:13 PM
No, this is not normal. I just tried it with my 161-in-1 and it boots directly to the parental advisory screen.

What version of the universebios are you using when you test that?

Lemony Vengeance
01-18-2018, 01:20 AM
This is amazing work RAZ! keep it up!

c0nn0r
01-18-2018, 10:10 AM
What version of the universebios are you using when you test that?

Razoola
01-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Ok, can you please do the followinf for me.... get to the 161in1 game list. hold coint+start or start+abc to bring up the ingame menu (it will be sorrupted but its still usable). not move down and hilight softreboot. then move right and when you see the memory viewer press A. Now scroll untill address 0F0040 is in the top left (you can hold down buttons A, B or D to speed scroll). Once your there can you please take a photo and post it here.

This will be quite helpfull for me.

[OCEAN]
01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Ok, can you please do the followinf for me.... get to the 161in1 game list. hold coint+start or start+abc to bring up the ingame menu (it will be sorrupted but its still usable). not move down and hilight softreboot. then move right and when you see the memory viewer press A. Now scroll untill address 0F0040 is in the top left (you can hold down buttons A, B or D to speed scroll). Once your there can you please take a photo and post it here.

Tried it myself, but I'm running a very old version of unibios (2.2) and I can't seem to access the memory viewer by pressing right from the softboot option.

The game works well though, as does the in game menu. The initial unibios splashscreen appears all grabbled up when having the 161 in 1 inserted. Using a 4 slot.

Razoola
01-18-2018, 03:55 PM
that unibios version is to old and does not have the needed feature.

c0nn0r
01-18-2018, 07:18 PM

Sorry for delay. Here's the requested pic:

Glad I could help. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Razoola
01-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Sorry for delay. Here's the requested pic:

Glad I could help. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Yes please, I did a type sorry, I should have said address 0ff040, if its not to much trouble, can you take a picture of that address?

Raz

c0nn0r
01-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Here you go:

Always happy to help.

Razoola
01-19-2018, 10:41 AM
many thanks, just what I needed. Your cart looks to have different workings than the one I have, this could complicate things a little. Can you take another screen grab from FF080?

Raz

c0nn0r
01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Hey Raz, I had to upload a video instead of a pic. You will see the reason why when you watch it. Single pic would not tell the entire story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWAKDNITQg

Razoola
01-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Hey Raz, I had to upload a video instead of a pic. You will see the reason why when you watch it. Single pic would not tell the entire story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWAKDNITQg

This is because you are at the wrong address, you need FF080 (0FF080) and not FF0800. :)

c0nn0r
01-19-2018, 03:06 PM
This is because you are at the wrong address, you need FF080 (0FF080) and not FF0800. :)

Here's the correct address:

For curiosity sake; could you tell me what the previous video was showing? Why was the data changing in realtime?

Keep up the good work Raz!

Razoola
01-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Thanks, your is defo different, it has an extra opcode and port used to set up the games. In your video you were looking at a region of menory that is not correctly mapped on all NeoGeo systems.

Razoola
01-19-2018, 03:50 PM
c0nn0r, does you 161in1 save softdips settings onto the card if you follow the procedure I mentioned on the previous page?

Razoola
01-20-2018, 12:36 AM
Also, does your cart have metal slug x on it (should be game number 58)?

c0nn0r
01-20-2018, 11:30 AM
c0nn0r, does you 161in1 save softdips settings onto the card if you follow the procedure I mentioned on the previous page?

161-in-1 Softdip settings are saved across boots using this method:

Turn on neo geo, choose game X - confirm level settings (level 2), soft reboot holding BCD to get dip settings, set level to 4 and exit sofdip.
Game starts with updated softdip settings.
Hold P1 Start until break out to 161-in-1 menu
turn off console
Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated level settings (level 4) remain intact.

161-in-1 softdip settings are not saved across boots with this method:

Turn on neo geo, choose game X - confirm level settings (level 2), soft reboot holding BCD to get dip settings, set level to 4 and exit sofdip.
Turn off console.
Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated settings did not save. Game boots with previous softdip settings.

I followed the working method for the first 12 games on the 161-in-1 to see if we could exceed the MVS internal 8 game softdip memory limit (from what I understand).

It worked. The 161 seems to be saving it's own softdip settings. My entire first page of games is now set to level 4, and these settings persist across boots.

I have a MV-1C CMVS that does not have a card slot. UNIBIOS set to USA/ARCADE.

c0nn0r
01-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Also, does your cart have metal slug x on it (should be game number 58)?

Yes, I have Metal Slug X as game number 58.

Razoola
01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
161-in-1 Softdip settings are saved across boots using this method:

Hold P1 Start until break out to 161-in-1 menu
turn off console
Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated level settings (level 4) remain intact.

161-in-1 softdip settings are not saved across boots with this method:

Turn off console.
Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated settings did not save. Game boots with previous softdip settings.

I followed the working method for the first 12 games on the 161-in-1 to see if we could exceed the MVS internal 8 game softdip memory limit (from what I understand).

It worked. The 161 seems to be saving it's own softdip settings. My entire first page of games is now set to level 4, and these settings persist across boots.

I have a MV-1C CMVS that does not have a card slot. UNIBIOS set to USA/ARCADE.

Yup so that works in the same way, its just a case of if the code to do it is different or not.... Can you take a few more screenshots for me from the following addresses....

0x0FF000
0x0FF146
0x0E03C8
0x0E2760
0x0E0400

Thanks.

c0nn0r
01-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Yup so that works in the same way, its just a case of if the code to do it is different or not.... Can you take a few more screenshots for me from the following addresses....

Thanks.

0x0FF000

0x0FF146 (issue with this one. I do not have that address on my cart. I gave you the address around it. Please advise.)

0x0E03C8

0x0E2760

0x0E0400

aha2940
01-20-2018, 07:10 PM
Just awaiting for Raz to find some very interesting stuff about these banana carts and then they turn into $150 collectors' prizes :P

BTW: I'll power on mine and see if the addresses are the same as c0nn0r's or not...just for curiosity.

Razoola
01-21-2018, 01:07 AM
Just awaiting for Raz to find some very interesting stuff about these banana carts and then they turn into $150 collectors' prizes :P

BTW: I'll power on mine and see if the addresses are the same as c0nn0r's or not...just for curiosity.

I think the next unibios release might just raise the interest in these carts a little.

Razoola
01-21-2018, 01:27 AM
Many thanks for the pics c0nn0r, this has helped me alot and I won't be needing any more pics from you (I hope) :)

c0nn0r
01-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Many thanks for the pics c0nn0r, this has helped me alot and I won't be needing any more pics from you (I hope) :)

It was a pleasure. Glad I could contribute to such a great project. Keep up the great work!

Razoola
01-21-2018, 12:07 PM
I guess I should give you a picture back in return :)

kuze
01-21-2018, 04:20 PM
I did a double take there and had to confirm each game was already on the 161-in-1 list. :-J So awesome that no hacks are listed.

Menu looks great, looking forward to Unibios v4!

RAZO
01-21-2018, 04:26 PM

NICE!

Montatez
01-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Your very generous.

c0nn0r
01-21-2018, 10:30 PM

joala
01-21-2018, 10:41 PM
:lolz:

Raz - will the different cart revisions affect everyone's experience? Are the unibios changes only working with your revision?

Razoola
01-22-2018, 04:31 AM
:lolz:

Raz - will the different cart revisions affect everyone's experience? Are the unibios changes only working with your revision?

Yes, its very possible there are revisions out there that it will not work on, then again, maybe there isn't either.

daskrabs
01-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Raz - can you please post pics of your 161 PCBs so we know which rev you're using?

c0nn0r
01-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Raz - can you please post pics of your 161 PCBs so we know which rev you're using?

Another thing you could do is to take a look at the data on your cart at the addresses Raz asked for. Compare them to the pics I supplied to see if we're on the same rev.

Razoola
01-22-2018, 02:00 PM
simply posting pictures of the PCB may not be helpfull when you consider identical pcbs could be used but with different data on. We really need to find a wat from looking the data. When c0nner suggests is a good idea and if your cart is different numbers then place post the pictures.

daskrabs
01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
simply posting pictures of the PCB may not be helpfull when you consider identical pcbs could be used but with different data on. We really need to find a wat from looking the data. When c0nner suggests is a good idea and if your cart is different numbers then place post the pictures.

Fair enough, but why not both? I don't have pics to post right now as I don't have the cart in hand, but when I do, I'll post.

wyo
01-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Since the release of the NeoSD, I don't understand the logic of a 161-in-1 either.

Razoola
01-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Fair enough, but why not both? I don't have pics to post right now as I don't have the cart in hand, but when I do, I'll post.

Mainly because a picture does not tell you about the software controlling the board.

Razoola
01-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Since the release of the NeoSD, I don't understand the logic of a 161-in-1 either.

Yea, this is simply a quick hack to turn a MVS into a 98SLOT MVS board on the cheap. If nothing else its really cool just leaving it running in attract mode watching it randomly choosing games as quick as a real MVS multislot.

Razoola
01-22-2018, 03:47 PM
I have got this working really well now. So much so that some people would probably would not understand what the setup was if it was enclosed inside a cab with only six games to choose from. That is how good its working (bar the fact its hacked games running).

I can now confirm this mode will be included in the next unibios release and I am leaning towards calling the feature "Neo Pick 'N Mix" :) To enable you simply hold down the start button when you power on the MVS (its probably still best to give the original 161in1 UI the priority).

I think I have got all the features I wanted to get from it working.... Yes that includes the automatic saving of highscores (and other important attract mode data) from all 98 games into backup RAM using just 6 of the 8 game stores available. So providing your battery is good and you don't plug in another cart everything is saved. :)

I also got softDIP saving working a little better so it saves to the cart from within testmode (when you exit the game softDIP menu).

As far as I can tell its only little things left to do like adding support for different types of 161in1 (if they don't all work already). I'm trying to decide if I should add the following 4 hacks to the list also (not including the SVC already there)... King of Gladiators, Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon, Kof 10th Annisversary and Lansquenet 2004). I'm just not sure.

I might take this for test run this weekend at our yearly Finland NeoGeo groupie.

kuze
01-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Awesome news, Raz! Will there be a spot in the Unibios settings to permanently enable the feature?

Personally I'd be happy never seeing the original 161in1 menu again. If not, maybe you hold start to disable the feature and have it on by default?

wyo
01-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Yea, this is simply a quick hack to turn a MVS into a 98SLOT MVS board on the cheap. If nothing else its really cool just leaving it running in attract mode watching it randomly choosing games as quick as a real MVS multislot.

I like what you're doing here, man. Just making a bad "logic" joke/pun :D

pulstar
01-22-2018, 05:25 PM
This is some superb work again, Raz. Looking forward to the new Uni Bios release :D

[OCEAN]
01-23-2018, 02:14 AM
I have got this working really well now. So much so that some people would probably would not understand what the setup was if it was enclosed inside a cab with only six games to choose from. That is how good its working (bar the fact its hacked games running).

I can now confirm this mode will be included in the next unibios release and I am leaning towards calling the feature "Neo Pick 'N Mix" :) To enable you simply hold down the start button when you power on the MVS (its probably still best to give the original 161in1 UI the priority).

I think I have got all the features I wanted to get from it working.... Yes that includes the automatic saving of highscores (and other important attract mode data) from all 98 games into backup RAM using just 6 of the 8 game stores available. So providing your battery is good and you don't plug in another cart everything is saved. :)

I also got softDIP saving working a little better so it saves to the cart from within testmode (when you exit the game softDIP menu).

As far as I can tell its only little things left to do like adding support for different types of 161in1 (if they don't all work already). I'm trying to decide if I should add the following 4 hacks to the list also (not including the SVC already there)... King of Gladiators, Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon, Kof 10th Annisversary and Lansquenet 2004). I'm just not sure.

I might take this for test run this weekend at our yearly Finland NeoGeo groupie.

That's awesome work and news Raz, very excited about this! As said before by other members, just not having to deal with the horrible 161 in 1 menu is a huge improvement :D

Personally I wouldn't mind having the mentioned hacks on the list as a curiosity, but I'd be totally OK with them completely gone too.

Razoola
01-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Awesome news, Raz! Will there be a spot in the Unibios settings to permanently enable the feature?

Personally I'd be happy never seeing the original 161in1 menu again. If not, maybe you hold start to disable the feature and have it on by default?

Its a tuff one, I don't think it would be a good idea to flip it like you say simply because its not known it will work for everyone and there is no space for another option. Ill have a think on it though to see if there is some other way I can do it.

Razoola
01-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Here is another crappy quality video showing how I have the popup gamelist working. I would like some feedback on it please. not sure if I should keep the 'UNIBIOS' and 'PICnMIX' texts or not presently. Border is yellow to match the 161in1 cart color.

Watch how I can use the popup to flip attract mode sequences for single games.

ffY-Sgt-QiY

daskrabs
01-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Here is another crappy quality video showing how I have the popup gamelist working. I would like some feedback on it please. not sure if I should keep the 'UNIBIOS' and 'PICnMIX' texts or not presently. Border is yellow to match the 161in1 cart color.

ffY-Sgt-QiY

Nice work on the attract mode flip. Maybe keep the Unibios text and add a version number, but lose PICnMIX. Also, you can probably delete Fighters Swords and Last Soldier from the list, since not sure why anyone would want censored roms. Adding (Proto) to MotW might be useful as well.

[OCEAN]
01-23-2018, 09:52 AM

That looks great, I love the clean and direct interface... leaps and bounds better than the stock one.

Perhaps I'd keep the UNIBIOS message on top and replace the PICnMIX with a quick button guide (A select / B Cancel?), even though it's completely unnecessary.

Maybe it would be cool also to be able to order the game list by genre or year too, although, as mentioned above, completely unnecessary.

donluca
01-23-2018, 09:56 AM
For the sake of visibility of the entire titles of the games on top and bottom, I'd remove both texts.

The yellow border is a nice touch. This is pretty cool tbh, great work Raz.

Razoola
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM
;4268230']That looks great, I love the clean and direct interface... leaps and bounds better than the stock one.

Perhaps I'd keep the UNIBIOS message on top and replace the PICnMIX with a quick button guide (A select / B Cancel?), even though it's completely unnecessary.

Maybe it would be cool also to be able to order the game list by genre or year too, although, as mentioned above, completely unnecessary.

The popup works by button release rather than button trigger which I guess the videos do not show well. This means a quick press of button A will cycle to the next game and button B to the previous game, the popup will not show. However, if you keep button A (or B) pressed the game will not cycle and the popup will appear. You then use the joystick while your button is still pressed. Once you have the game you want you simply release the button and the new game will start. It might sound weird but once you use it you'll understand this way makes perfect sence and it means the popup will not stay open forever unless you keep the button pressed forever.

With that in mind I'm not sure button info wouls be helpful on the screen. I could put arrow up and down though or something like that. I also though about putting credit info there (given you can add credits even while the popup is open, this would mean a credit counter on both sides though when in USA region.

Razoola
01-23-2018, 10:05 AM
For the sake of visibility of the entire titles of the games on top and bottom, I'd remove both texts.

The yellow border is a nice touch. This is pretty cool tbh, great work Raz.

Yes this is my concern also but to be honest it looks better than the video shows. Ill have to see if I can do a better quality video.

Razoola
01-23-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm struggling to get a good quality video of the popup, this is a little better to see how it looks but not by much.

t6I8gz7u4h0

c0nn0r
01-23-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm struggling to get a good quality video of the popup, this is a little better to ses how it looks but not by much.

t6I8gz7u4h0

Looking very nice. Can you share a new video of the system working in random attract mode?

Razoola
01-23-2018, 03:23 PM
ok, here are a couple of other attempts to get the popup and a random run through attract mode.

WxRDDRDvtls

And below a random run through attract mode for c0nn0r. (popup caught quite well from about 7 minutes).

BUUzj0PuViQ

xardion
01-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Would have been awesome if this could be added to the unibios in the mvs-magic key converter.

Razoola
01-24-2018, 02:29 AM
Would have been awesome if this could be added to the unibios in the mvs-magic key converter.

The AES does not have the backupRAM needed.

lachlan
01-24-2018, 05:35 AM
What is stopping someone from making a better xxx-in-1 cart that doesn't have the shortfalls of the 161-in-1 ? is that even possible?

Excellent work Raz, always good to see new features on the Neo even if it's adding better functionality to a hack cart!

nam9
01-24-2018, 05:49 AM
This is awesome!
Could a similar approach work for the 120 in 1 as well?

Actually... the 138 without daughterboard would be a great application for this given its game list...

Razoola
01-24-2018, 07:22 AM
What is stopping someone from making a better xxx-in-1 cart that doesn't have the shortfalls of the 161-in-1 ? is that even possible?

Yes, that is wat NeoGeo Land was about.

c0nn0r
01-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the video of the attract-mode. It's interesting to see that the Neo Geo MVS must know about the state of the game in attract mode because it never switches before the game demo shows the high-score screen. Not a simple timer. SNK engineers really put a lot of thought into the MVS!

The video also answered my questions about weather or not we would still see the "NEO GEO PRO GEAR SPEC" splash screen. Looks like attract mode will not show us this. If there was a way, it would be awesome to have the system spec message pop up once in a while... Just to remind people of the power in their hands. This is just wishful thinking however. I'm pretty sure this is not something that can be done.

Razoola
01-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Thank you for the video of the attract-mode. It's interesting to see that the Neo Geo MVS must know about the state of the game in attract mode because it never switches before the game demo shows the high-score screen. Not a simple timer. SNK engineers really put a lot of thought into the MVS!

The video also answered my questions about weather or not we would still see the "NEO GEO PRO GEAR SPEC" splash screen. Looks like attract mode will not show us this. If there was a way, it would be awesome to have the system spec message pop up once in a while... Just to remind people of the power in their hands. This is just wishful thinking however. I'm pretty sure this is not something that can be done.

The way the neogeo works its the game that tells the system when its attract mode has ended so that side of things is very easy.

On a 6SLOT you'll only see the neogeo jingle once its cycled through all 6 games. Because there are 98 games I decided to make it so the jingle only shows once at power on. It would not be hard to make it show the jingle once every so often but I don't see the point.

c0nn0r
01-24-2018, 10:06 AM
The way the neogeo works its the game that tells the system when its attract mode has ended so that side of things is very easy.

On a 6SLOT you'll only see the neogeo jingle once its cycled through all 6 games. Because there are 98 games I decided to make it so the jingle only shows once at power on. It would not be hard to make it show the jingle once every so often but I don't see the point.

Ahh, very cool. Thanks for the insight into how the demo mode works. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I think it would be nice to see the NEO GEO jingle more often than 1 in 98. I think a lot of us have a certain affinity for the jingle. Its sound is a staple part of the arcade experience IMHO. With that said I would vote (if there was a vote) for the jingle to be heard more often than the current settings. Perhaps once every ~15 or ~20 games.

Anyone else feel the same way about this?

Clear Paper
01-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Awesome work, Raz

Razoola
01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Ahh, very cool. Thanks for the insight into how the demo mode works. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I think it would be nice to see the NEO GEO jingle more often than 1 in 98. I think a lot of us have a certain affinity for the jingle. Its sound is a staple part of the arcade experience IMHO. With that said I would vote (if there was a vote) for the jingle to be heard more often than the current settings. Perhaps once every ~15 or ~20 games.

Anyone else feel the same way about this?

I have made it so it does the 'giga power' logo at startup in MVS mode and then after every 6th game where the bios chooses a game at random. If you manually swap games, those will not count to show the logo again. In console mode it will show the 'max 330 mega' logo once at power on and then the logo will appear never again (this is how it is on real AES).

I also made it so at power on it boots to a random game providing you let the jingle complete. If you manually swap games before it completes it will assume its 2020 super baseball (first game in the list).

daskrabs
01-24-2018, 03:39 PM
I have made it so it does the 'giga power' logo at startup in MVS mode and then after every 6th game where the bios chooses a game at random. If you manually swap games, those will not count to show the logo again. In console mode it will show the 'max 330 mega' logo once at power on and then the logo will appear never again (this is how it is on real AES).

I also made it so at power on it boots to a random game providing you let the jingle complete. If you manually swap games before it completes it will assume its 2020 super baseball (first game in the list).

Awesome.

kuze
01-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Sweet changes! Any chance of having it boot to the last game selected on power on? Maybe the last selected game could be written to memory card or backup RAM?

Razoola
01-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Sweet changes! Any chance of having it boot to the last game selected on power on? Maybe the last selected game could be written to memory card or backup RAM?

Yes I can do that but once the attrach mode ends it will move onto a random game.

[OCEAN]
01-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Yes I can do that but once the attrach mode ends it will move onto a random game.

That's an excellent idea and a very useful function. I know mine will almost always boot up to Puzzle Bobble :D

Razoola
01-25-2018, 11:05 AM
;4268868']That's an excellent idea and a very useful function. I know mine will almost always boot up to Puzzle Bobble :D

Yup, you just need to make sure though the game playing (or in attract mode) is Puzzle Bobble when you power off.

kuze
01-25-2018, 12:33 PM

Excellent!! :buttrock:

c0nn0r
01-25-2018, 06:50 PM
I have made it so it does the 'giga power' logo at startup in MVS mode and then after every 6th game where the bios chooses a game at random. If you manually swap games, those will not count to show the logo again. In console mode it will show the 'max 330 mega' logo once at power on and then the logo will appear never again (this is how it is on real

This is great. Thank you for being so accommodating of our requests.

It's nice to boot with the Giga Power logo on MVS on launch. When the 6th game shows the logo screen - is this logo screen pulled from the game to be booted (some games have unique logo jingles for example), or will it always be the Giga Power logo and jingle pulled from somewhere else?

Would be a shame if we missed out on some of those unique logo jingles.

c0nn0r
01-25-2018, 07:19 PM
I was also wondering about the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" and "Don't Litter" etc. screens. I re-watched the demo video and did not see them. Is there any way we can get them back? Maybe again once every 6 games (if thee game has one of these screens)? For me seeng those screens is another big part of the arcade experience. Would be a shame to see them go!

Thanks again for your attention Raz!

Neogeoman106st
01-25-2018, 11:20 PM
I was also wondering about the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" and "Don't Litter" etc. screens. I re-watched the demo video and did not see them. Is there any way we can get them back? Maybe again once every 6 games (if thee game has one of these screens)? For me seeng those screens is another big part of the arcade experience. Would be a shame to see them go!

I agree with this as well.

Also very nice Job Raz. i currently use a free 3.2 bio's but i would totally buy the new Unibios once it comes out on 4.0. Along with a 161-1 cart haha

Razoola
01-25-2018, 11:41 PM
This is great. Thank you for being so accommodating of our requests.

It's nice to boot with the Giga Power logo on MVS on launch. When the 6th game shows the logo screen - is this logo screen pulled from the game to be booted (some games have unique logo jingles for example), or will it always be the Giga Power logo and jingle pulled from somewhere else?

Would be a shame if we missed out on some of those unique logo jingles.

Multislots do not work that way. They always show the jingle from one of the 6 games only and if they can they will never show the newer jingle. I have made it so it uses the newer jingle from kof99 only.

Razoola
01-25-2018, 11:44 PM

It shows the winners dont use drugs and japanese warning screen just fine when your in the correct region right after the jingle after x game. Are you saying you want me to disable game swapping when the these are showing also though just like on real hardware also? People probably would not like that.

phoenixdownita
01-26-2018, 03:03 AM
Any reason that it would not work on AES + Magic Key?
Not all the features, just the better, cleaned-up and faster selection/pop-up menu.
I understand the lack of BRAM causes some/many features not to work on AES but just the selection code/pop-up menu alone should work. Shouldn't it?
[I admit my extreme ignorance on the deep differences between AES and MVS aside the missing sound/fonts ROMs and the moved chip ( PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC / whatever it is)]

Razoola
01-26-2018, 03:19 AM
Any reason that it would not work on AES + Magic Key?
Not all the features, just the better, cleaned-up and faster selection/pop-up menu.
I understand the lack of BRAM causes some/many features not to work on AES but just the selection code/pop-up menu alone should work. Shouldn't it?
[I admit my extreme ignorance on the deep differences between AES and MVS aside the missing sound/fonts ROMs and the moved chip ( PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC / whatever it is)]

Because of the space limitations (in the bios) the problem is I already use backupRAM to build the popup game list menu. If I can find a way to make space in the bios so I can store a table of games (in the bios) then I can do it, but it is highly unlikley. So the problem on AES as it is now is the popup list, both in memory needs and because I'm using tiles only found on the MVS internal sfix ROM.

[edit]

Just to put that in prospective... As it is now, I have a table of 0x58 bytes in the bios that allows me to cycle through the 98 games so I can get their NGH numbers. All this is done so I can save having to have a table of 0xAE words in the bios. Its been an absolute ball ache just getting the MVS side to fit..

phoenixdownita
01-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Because of the space limitations (in the bios) the problem is I already use backupRAM to build the popup game list menu. If I can find a way to make space in the bios so I can store a table of games (in the bios) then I can do it, but it is highly unlikley. So the problem on AES as it is now is the popup list, both in memory needs and because I'm using tiles only found on the MVS internal sfix ROM.

[edit]

Just to put that in prospective... As it is now, I have a table of 0x58 bytes in the bios that allows me to cycle through the 98 games so I can get their NGH numbers. All this is done so I can save having to have a table of 0xAE words in the bios. Its been an absolute ball ache just getting the MVS side to fit..

Any chance at all you can use the memcard instead of BRAM? I am using a 64KB 16bit SRAM memcard that has plenty of space, maybe a third exclamation mark in the name could be the signal to allow its usage for 161 carts special unibios goodies.

BTW just thinking out loud here if I get annoying I'll shut up.

Razoola
01-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Any chance at all you can use the memcard instead of BRAM? I am using a 64KB 16bit SRAM memcard that has plenty of space, maybe a third exclamation mark in the name could be the signal to allow its usage for 161 carts special unibios goodies.

BTW just thinking out loud here if I get annoying I'll shut up.

No problem on thinking out loud, I have though about using space on a memory card also. I would really like to make the space in the bios though as it keeps things more simple. Believe me when I say I would love the feature to support AES also and if there is a way I can do it easily, I certinally will. Its all about creating the space.

Also, here is a screenshot of the popup game list in emulation (MVS). I know the videos did not show it so well so here it is as stands now.

Hopefully this will show you guys what I am trying to achieve with the 'PICnMIX' texts. I want it to appear like that text is floating above the gamelist. As the game list scrolls, it goes under the text.

daskrabs
01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
It looks great. I couldn't be more impressed. This really adds value to the cart. Only thing I'm not sold on is the "PICnMIX" text. Why not just "161-in-1" to show the user what cartridge is actually being used? My 2 cents.

Razoola
01-26-2018, 12:19 PM
yea, the 'PICnMIX' is defo not final but I do want to think of a cool name for the feature. Sort of like what I did with 'Phoenix' for CPS2 and unibios for NeoGeo Bios. Part of me thinks 'PICnMIX might grow on people as a feature name.

kuze
01-26-2018, 01:33 PM
yea, the 'PICnMIX' is defo not final but I do want to think of a cool name for the feature. Sort of like what I did with 'Phoenix' for CPS2 and unibios for NeoGeo Bios. Part of me thinks 'PICnMIX might grow on people as a feature name.

I would use "PICKnMIX" instead if you want something along those lines and just put it in one corner instead of duplicated to two. Just my thoughts, looks great as-is.

gusmoney
01-26-2018, 03:12 PM
How about

1) PICKnMIX161
2) 161n1-PICKnMIX
3) 161-PICKnMIX

I think a variant in that regard would encompass both qualities. I think I like the third option the best.

brad808
01-26-2018, 04:44 PM
How about

1) PICKnMIX161
2) 161n1-PICKnMIX
3) 161-PICKnMIX

I think a variant in that regard would encompass both qualities. I think I like the third option the best.Ditto #3 is nice

Montatez
01-26-2018, 08:44 PM
Soo forgive my ignorance but this is going in the mvs system bios to make the cart work this way or is it in the cart itself sort of like a reprogroming of the cart?

lachlan
01-26-2018, 11:18 PM
Soo forgive my ignorance but this is going in the mvs system bios to make the cart work this way or is it in the cart itself sort of like a reprogroming of the cart?

It's a new Unibios feature.

kuze
01-27-2018, 05:54 PM
How about

1) PICKnMIX161
2) 161n1-PICKnMIX
3) 161-PICKnMIX

I think a variant in that regard would encompass both qualities. I think I like the third option the best.

Technically won't it be 97-PICKnMIX?

How about add a little Rot flavor, xxPICKnMIXxx? :-J

Morden
01-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Also, here is a screenshot of the popup game list in emulation (MVS).

I know you're recycling your window design from NeoGeoLand, and there's only so much you can do within the BIOS space, but let's take a look at the old window:

It has two things going for it: cleaner look and additional space where the button functions are shown. I know we can't have the buttons here, but we don't need them, and instead, we could use that space for any and all additional information. "Universe Bios Pick n' Mix - 161 in 1" or whatever. This way, you wouldn't have to place text over the game titles, double it in the corners to keep visual balance or have those horizontal bracket lines.

If you'd ever add support for other multis, you could display which multi the Neo is currently running, etc. Just food for thought. Also, was the yellow border supposed to match the color of the case? Personally, I'd keep this window visually consistent with the rest of the Uni Bios 4.0.

Razoola
01-27-2018, 07:43 PM
I know you're recycling your window design from NeoGeoLand, and there's only so much you can do within the BIOS space, but let's take a look at the old window:

It has two things going for it: cleaner look and additional space where the button functions are shown. I know we can't have the buttons here, but we don't need them, and instead, we could use that space for any and all additional information. "Universe Bios Pick n' Mix - 161 in 1" or whatever. This way, you wouldn't have to place text over the game titles, double it in the corners to keep visual balance or have those horizontal bracket lines.

If you'd ever add support for other multis, you could display which multi the Neo is currently running, etc. Just food for thought. Also, was the yellow border supposed to match the color of the case? Personally, I'd keep this window visually consistent with the rest of the Uni Bios 4.0.

The problem here is that is not the NeoGeoLand popup menu, that is the main menu (I grant you it looks very simular though). The NeoGeoLand popup has NeoGeoLand written across the top left and no text across the bottom. See below.

Morden
01-28-2018, 07:12 AM
The problem here is that is not the NeoGeoLand popup menu, that is the main menu (I grant you it looks very simular though).

Wouldn't it be possible to use the main menu window in the BIOS? Then, you'd have that stripe where the button icons originally were, for all the info you want to put there. An in case you'll ever support more multicarts, it could also display which one is currently running, the 191, 150, 138, or whatever. This would certainly solve the awkward placing of the PICnMIX text, and you could call it PICKnMIX, because PIC sounds weird to me, like a short "picture", not "pick".

Razoola
01-28-2018, 07:49 AM
I don't like that idea because im trying to keep the box as small as possible. There is no chance of supporting other multi carts because there is no space. I'd have to remove the 161in1 cart to add another.

Raz

Razoola
01-30-2018, 05:47 AM
At the Finnish NeoGeo meet last weekend we had a trial run in a MVS cab and all in all it went very well indeed. There was one bug found and a couple of small niggles. I have been working to fix these and hopefully they are now fixed.

I also programmed a quick hack on Friday evening to see if it would work on an AES at the meet (through magickey converter) and it did. It meant the button on the magickey needed to be constantly pressed in but the main thing was it worked.

There will be some limitations on AES compared to MVS and the most visible will be the popup menu. There will be other limitations also but on the whole on AES it would work well enough.

MVS popup list (below)

AES popup list (below)

phoenixdownita
01-31-2018, 12:10 AM

I also programmed a quick hack on Friday evening to see if it would work on an AES at the meet (through magickey converter) and it did. It meant the button on the magickey needed to be constantly pressed in but the main thing was it worked.

There will be some limitations on AES compared to MVS and the most visible will be the popup menu. There will be other limitations also but on the whole on AES it would work well enough.

THANKS your awesomeness :drool_2:

Only from RAZOOLA!!

PS: I modded my magickey way back when with a physical switch to short the push button because the 161 menu just won't come up and I have a real unibios in my AES.

[OCEAN]
01-31-2018, 01:27 AM
At the Finnish NeoGeo meet last weekend we had a trial run in a MVS cab and all in all it went very well indeed. There was one bug found and a couple of small niggles. I have been working to fix these and hopefully they are now fixed.

Again, that's looking awesome!

Razoola
02-25-2018, 04:41 AM
I would like some honest feedback on something.

It is in relation to how buttons A and B game swapping works. I currently have A mapped to jump to next game and B to previous game. This makes sence to me and is also the way I implemented in v3.3 cabinet fixes for multislot owners whos cab does not have game swap button mapped. It has been pointed out to me that it also makes sence to have the buttons mapped the other way around, so A selects previous game and B the next game. Sort of like in a way you turn pages of a book given how the buttons are laid out.

Which way do you think is better?

joala
02-25-2018, 06:31 AM
I would like some honest feedback on something.

It is in relation to how buttons A and B game swapping works. I currently have A mapped to jump to next game and B to previous game. This makes sence to me and is also the way I implemented in v3.3 cabinet fixes for multislot owners whos cab does not have game swap button mapped. It has been pointed out to me that it also makes sence to have the buttons mapped the other way around, so A selects previous game and B the next game. Sort of like in a way you turn pages of a book given how the buttons are laid out.

Which way do you think is better?

A for previous and B for next imo mate

Morden
02-25-2018, 06:50 AM
A for previous and B for next imo mate

+1

8bitForLife
02-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Cant wait for this. Im trying to find someone to fix a 161 for me. Or is fixing them going to bork your new picinmix stufff?

[OCEAN]
02-26-2018, 01:33 AM
+1

I agree, A for previous and B for next seems more natural to me.

Razoola
02-26-2018, 01:44 AM
Cant wait for this. Im trying to find someone to fix a 161 for me. Or is fixing them going to bork your new picinmix stufff?

The 161in1 does not need any modding for this, its all in the unibios. The only question mark is if all revisions of the 161in1 will work.

Raz

Razoola
02-26-2018, 02:19 AM
;4275409']I agree, A for previous and B for next seems more natural to me.

Ohk I will do the buttons this way although it does feel weird to me atm.

As somone else said to me 'A for next game since it's the "primary" button. B for "back" is easy to remember too'

Raz

daskrabs
02-26-2018, 06:16 AM
As somone else said to me 'A for next game since it's the "primary" button. B for "back" is easy to remember too'

Raz

A forward, B back.

Montatez
02-26-2018, 06:27 AM
A forward, B back.

I agree with this.

donluca
02-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Both make perfect sense to me, and I'd be ok with either.

If I had to choose, personally I'd probably go for A forward and B back, because A is usually referred as the main button, while B is the secondary one.

Jontox
02-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Both make perfect sense to me, and I'd be ok with either.

If I had to choose, personally I'd probably go for A forward and B back, because A is usually referred as the main button, while B is the secondary one.

Exactly, and moreover it really depends if the list is scrolling from top to bottom or from left to right.
In the current case A for next game and B for previous is more natural.

Morden
02-26-2018, 08:39 AM
For a moment there, it lookes like A - PREVIOUS, B - NEXT was getting more votes, but then the opposite crowd rolled in and spoiled the fun. I feel like this should almost get a poll. You know which ption is getting my vote, though.

Razoola
02-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Ok, I have made a public poll at http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?274131-PICKnMIX-button-configuration-Poll. Its a public poll and remember there is no right or wrong answer here, it all comes down to personal preference.

NeoLucian
02-27-2018, 01:08 PM
@Razoola - did you ever figure out if the soft-dips were being saved to the main flash chips or another chip on the boards?

Just wondered: if they do use the flash chips and the menu can access that saving function, do you think it would ever be possible to override the menu and use the cartridge itself to overwrite the game data, so that you could overwrite hacks and the proto games?

Just a thought I had

Razoola
02-27-2018, 01:16 PM
I don't have the tools to figure that out. The info I do know is in the process of being put up onto the neogeodevwiki, hopefully where people will be able to look more closely at this. It would be great if the flashes could be reprogrammed though, there are a few issues that can be easily fixed with games once that can be done.

Morden
02-28-2018, 03:16 PM
I don't have the tools to figure that out. The info I do know is in the process of being put up onto the neogeodevwiki, hopefully where people will be able to look more closely at this. It would be great if the flashes could be reprogrammed though, there are a few issues that can be easily fixed with games once that can be done.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this. If this gets figured out, banana multis will have a chance to become the best, cheapest and fastest multi cart out there.

Montatez
02-28-2018, 03:56 PM
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this. If this gets figured out, banana multis will have a chance to become the best, cheapest and fastest multi cart out there.

Agreed. Can't wait Raz.

Jamie
03-02-2018, 09:26 AM
This is great, really looking forward to this being added to the Unibios. Thanks Razoola.

I know it has been mentioned previously, but if there was a way to set the Unibios to boot directly to this instead of the original menu screen, that'd be fantastic.

joala
03-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Is it correct you can currently soft reset the cart to go back to the game selection menu by holding P1 start for 5 seconds?

Doesnt seem to be working for me....

Razoola
03-03-2018, 01:31 AM
Is it correct you can currently soft reset the cart to go back to the game selection menu by holding P1 start for 5 seconds?

Doesnt seem to be working for me....

You can yes. If you have a memory card inserted however that button code does not work due to poor programming by those that created the 161in1.

joala
03-03-2018, 04:59 AM
You can yes. If you have a memory card inserted however that button code does not work due to poor programming by those that created the 161in1.

Ah, thanks.

I have a VMC so thats me fucked :lolz:

Shakepants
03-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Just..awesome.. If there's a way to add more games, either as a service by Raz or whatever that would be like..:loco:

segasonicfan
03-03-2018, 11:42 PM
omfg this is amazing. I was noticing my old uni-bios (bought over 10 years ago from ya) wasn't working well with my new 161-in-1 cart. I made some videos of the new version upgrades btw (BGA chip version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQV4Sjb_cxo&t=291s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcz9WvOQZMg

Anything I can do to help with testing? How much would it cost to upgrade my old Unibios chips for this cool feature?

-Segasonicfan

Razoola
03-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the videos, Ill check those out in more detail soon. The unibios upgrade is free providing you have a valid serial number.

Raz

segasonicfan
03-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Fantastic. The videos are mainly what GadgetUK has been recommending for some time here. The only part of possible interest to you is the board revision - I just bought it this month and its different.

Sweet about the unibios.

KDOG
04-13-2018, 01:20 PM
When do you think the new version of the your UniBios will be ready?

Razoola
04-13-2018, 01:47 PM
its slowly creeping towards a release.

KDOG
04-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Cool, I definitely will be getting one from you when it is released.

Damulta
04-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Hope this works with the new releases of the 161 in 1 on the AES. I will be popping my debug bios out and popping the 4.0 on it's release.

I went to order a 3.3 but the website said u had the flu.

Razoola
04-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Yea, I have had a rotten flu over the last weeks so I stopped taking physical orders so I don't pass germs etc. I am on the mend though so hopefully I will open orders again soon.

Raz

Morden
04-20-2018, 02:04 AM
UniBIOS 3.3, now with UniFLU™ virions! Catch the Neo fever today!

Damulta
04-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Yea, I have had a rotten flu over the last weeks so I stopped taking physical orders so I don't pass germs etc. I am on the mend though so hopefully I will open orders again soon.

Raz

If you had that flu from November that was a super killer bug. Glad you got over it!!!!

I caught 2 kinds of flu at the same time before, and I was out of it forever. Literally missed over a month of work. The most hardcore sickness I have ever experienced.

Damulta
04-20-2018, 03:53 AM
Ugh I still can't edit post....lol always forget us Americans write dates differently than anyone else. Still good your over it

lachlan
04-20-2018, 09:37 AM
UniBIOS 3.3, now with UniFLU™ virions! Catch the Neo fever today!

You can always have it shipped to Australia, ill have a kangaroo take a sniff and then back to scandinavia it goes.

Razoola
04-25-2018, 02:55 AM
One final PICKnMIX video from me before next unibios release. All going well coding on this feature is complete.

p0W3wKPiKxc

[OCEAN]
04-25-2018, 05:17 AM
Looking great, can't wait to upgrade to 4.0!

KDOG
04-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Yes looks complete. Can't wait to order.

DuffCon
04-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Yes looks complete. Can't wait to order.

Damn, beat me to it!

:drool_2: I got my money ready!

DanAdamKOF
04-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Just bought a banana! Can't wait to upgrade :)

phoenixdownita
04-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Superb.
Even if I am entitled to the upgrade program I think I'll send a payment your way regardless just for "beer and giggles".

wju2004
04-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Looking great! I probably really don't need to upgrade, but knowing me, I will.

DuffCon
05-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Just noticed the site update; will the orders going out from May 2nd come with the new 4.0 unibios?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Razoola
05-01-2018, 02:16 AM
All I did on the site a few days ago is mention I could start still orders again from tomorrow. 4.0 is close.

Raz

Razoola
05-01-2018, 11:59 AM
rockstarrunner who has been helping with beta testing on AES has made a demo video of a beta PICKnMIX running on AES if anyone is intrested.

O0bm6lQD-T8

J-P
05-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Looks pretty interesting - will wait until you release 4.0 if it's so close as I need to grab a few chips from you. Will definitely be cool for a cheap cab setup with an evil banana-cart.

bochi
05-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Man can't wait

8bitForLife
05-02-2018, 03:51 PM
If the cart has been fixed for glitchs well that effect bios at all with new features?

Razoola
05-02-2018, 04:25 PM
No.

NeoTurfMasta
05-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Raz, this is amazing. Congrats!

Razoola
05-03-2018, 03:49 AM

Razoola
05-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Now that v4.0 is released I have made a new thread for PICKnMIX help and support;

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?274805-UniBios-PICKnMIX-Help-amp-Support-thread

DuffCon
05-07-2018, 02:02 AM
Just bought one, canít wait!

phoenixdownita
05-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Just got my 4.0 file from Raz, as promised here early I sent a "donation for beer", even if the upgrade program is free (which is awesome btw) I put my money where my mouth is, a donation is a good sign of that and I think it allows Raz to continue innovating on that work of beauty called Unibios.

Razoola
05-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Many many thanks for that :)

phoenixdownita
05-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Totally worth it.
If anyone with an AES already has an MVS converter, Uni4 + "banana" cart is hard to beat.
For MVS is just a slam dunk as one doesn't even need a converter.
That instant game switch of the PickNMix is a killer feature, a pity really they didn't cut some of the hacks and included some more original releases (I venture the hacks are "simple" overlay on the actual games so they take little to no space .... just a speculation).

Only pain is the need to go and "fix" the levels of the games but to be fair one can do it as it actually plays them now, no need to do it upfront (I wonder if what we experience in terms of "default banana settings" is a side effect of the flash being set to FF or maybe just random garbage?)

DuffCon
05-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Just got this a few minutes ago, I know what Iím doing tonight!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/ffccdcac67f8e59a91323e7a82b41f2e.jpg

Side note: i really admire Razís ingenuitive packing method for the chip!

Dialknight
12-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Just got mine in the mail, and man I love that manual.

neo-ced
01-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Hi Razoola, are you ok ? Looks like you've disabled your sells for the V4 :(
Hope you'll see this and that you're ok

8bitForLife
01-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Theres a new banana cart and aes so maybe that's the reason

DanAdamKOF
01-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Theres a new banana cart and aes so maybe that's the reason
It's not due to that.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?278797-Razoola-to-cease-selling-the-Unibios