PDA

View Full Version : PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Pages : [1] 2

greedostick
12-11-2017, 12:21 PM
For all your RGB cable, and future Super System3 needs.

Within reason. Ex: No asking for ISO or Rom files.

RAZO
12-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Didn't we already go over this. A Standard Genny 2 Cable will work.

greedostick
12-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I posted it so people quit talking about it in the announcement thread.

nam9
12-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Didn't we already go over this. A Standard Genny 2 Cable will work.

Depends.

Assuming you want RGB then you also want to ensure that the cable wired for Composite Sync.
CSync should also be correctly attenuated with a cap/resistor.

Cheap cables can use composite video as sync which you don't want.

Personally I would recommend Retro Gaming Cables (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead).
On eBay, retro_console_accessories (https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-Genesis-2-RGB-SCART-cable-with-Csync-non-buffered-version-/162270281248) has been recommended many times.

RAZO
12-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Ohh boy, I best stay out of this thread.

greedostick
12-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Ohh boy, I best stay out of this thread.

Basically, we're fucked lol.

RevQuixo
12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
Depends.

Assuming you want RGB then you also want to ensure that the cable wired for Composite Sync.

Personally I would recommend Retro Gaming Cables (https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead).

On eBay, retro_console_accessories (https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-Genesis-2-RGB-SCART-cable-with-Csync-non-buffered-version-/162270281248) has been recommended many times.

Bingo.

If you want composite your run of the mill Genesis red, yellow, white cable will work.

If you want Component then the HDRetrovision cables have you covered. http://www.hdretrovision.com/ (out of stock right now, but worth the wait for a next batch).

If you want HDMI, then use one of the RGB solutions above and then hook it into an OSSC:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

If you want to use S-Video..there is something wrong with you (I'm not sure there is a solution here).

fluxcore
12-12-2017, 01:29 PM
If you want to use S-Video..there is something wrong with you (I'm not sure there is a solution here).

An RGB->Svideo converter :P

haightc
12-12-2017, 01:54 PM
I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point? It looks like based on the video's the database function hasn't been built out yet. It would be helpful is you could assign hucards to specific folder, like US only release to a US supercard. Or perhaps auto-select system card in most cases you would want the arcade card, but have US titles auto select Super System 3. I would be fine manually doing this though and manual selection might be better for those game express titles. Perhaps save state could be set to just dump the ram state saving the convenience of long password save recording and entry, this would obviously be yet another plus over the everdrive. I already have a coregrafx, supergrafx, two super cd-rom 2s, arcade card and turbo everdrive. The Super CD-ROM2 is a pain to recap, after you finally get it apart it's a mine field and it's almost like the traces want to come off. For me it makes the DUO and GT feel like cakewalks. I'm getting one of these to reduce the wear and tear on the system, plus bonus convenience. It might be neat if there is a switch, I like having the reset button on my everdrive. The simultaneous press of run and select seems like it'll work just fine though, I can't think of a game that mapping will become an issue. Maybe the reset button just resets the in memory game? With the Super CDROM2 audio also gets passed back to the console, is there a reason the SS3 doesn't? I use the audio output of my coregrafx as SCD2 port is excessively depressed but out of the console it sounds fine.

ChopstickSamurai
12-12-2017, 01:56 PM

If you want to save a few bucks over ebay, they have their own webpage now for selling cables:

https://retro-access.com

TwinFami
12-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Depends.

So, I'd be able to use this with my SCART to HDMI box like my other systems and be good to go?

Kid Panda
12-14-2017, 07:05 PM
I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point?

:thevt:

Use an emulator if you want save states.

greatfunky
12-15-2017, 05:56 AM
I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point? It looks like based on the video's the database function hasn't been built out yet. It would be helpful is you could assign hucards to specific folder, like US only release to a US supercard. Or perhaps auto-select system card in most cases you would want the arcade card, but have US titles auto select Super System 3. I would be fine manually doing this though and manual selection might be better for those game express titles. Perhaps save state could be set to just dump the ram state saving the convenience of long password save recording and entry, this would obviously be yet another plus over the everdrive. I already have a coregrafx, supergrafx, two super cd-rom 2s, arcade card and turbo everdrive. The Super CD-ROM2 is a pain to recap, after you finally get it apart it's a mine field and it's almost like the traces want to come off. For me it makes the DUO and GT feel like cakewalks. I'm getting one of these to reduce the wear and tear on the system, plus bonus convenience. It might be neat if there is a switch, I like having the reset button on my everdrive. The simultaneous press of run and select seems like it'll work just fine though, I can't think of a game that mapping will become an issue. Maybe the reset button just resets the in memory game? With the Super CDROM2 audio also gets passed back to the console, is there a reason the SS3 doesn't? I use the audio output of my coregrafx as SCD2 port is excessively depressed but out of the console it sounds fine.

You're lucky that greedostick has created this thread .....

Rot
12-15-2017, 05:59 AM
You're lucky that greedostick has created this thread .....

Unsure about you Great_Spunky... but i feel somewhat cheated by having this...:(

xROTx

greatfunky
12-15-2017, 06:04 AM
Unsure about you Great_Spunky... but i feel somewhat cheated by having this...:(

xROTx

lol , just keep the focus on the bright side ,you're lucky too rot , cause it give you less work , you were very busy this last days in the other thread ...

haightc
12-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Well you created this thread for generally technical questions. I don't post much on this forum because of all the negative and it sometimes makes me feel ashamed to be a NeoGeo owner. I seriously sometimes think that liking any of these games make conservation, moronic arsehole.

Kid Panda
12-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Well you created this thread for generally technical questions. I don't post much on this forum because of all the negative and it sometimes makes me feel ashamed to be a NeoGeo owner. I seriously sometimes think that liking any of these games make conservation, moronic arsehole.

The reason why most noobs get treated like shit is 95% of them do ZERO research into anything they comment on. Google is a workhorse. Hell most of the dumbass questions asked about the Neo has been answered hundreds of times. So yea, old guard is going to get pissy when it's obvious that zero footwork has been done. It's like saying you love Street Fighter II and don't even know the input commands for a Hadouken.

Syn
12-15-2017, 06:09 PM
For example, the thread in news and rumors has a link to this thread.

If new people read the whole thread most questions have been answered. They're too excited to research and get the treatment.

Westcb
12-15-2017, 06:16 PM
The reason why most noobs get treated like shit is 95% of them do ZERO research into anything they comment on. Google is a workhorse. Hell most of the dumbass questions asked about the Neo has been answered hundreds of times. So yea, old guard is going to get pissy when it's obvious that zero footwork has been done. It's like saying you love Street Fighter II and don't even know the input commands for a Hadouken.

^truth

greedostick
12-15-2017, 07:02 PM
It's like saying you love Street Fighter II and don't even know the input commands for a Hadouken.

Couldn't have said that better.

RAZO
12-15-2017, 08:42 PM

The Panda has spoken, Well said.

It's funny you mention SF and input commands for a Hadouken. When I first played Street Fighter II CE on the Genesis when I was a kid, me and my brother couldn't figure out how to do the special moves. I was pressing on the dpad with my thumb instead of dragging, thinking why the hell can't I pull this shit off. Once I pulled off my first Hadouken, I thought it was the greatest shit ever. By the end of the night my left thumb had a blister from that hard ass genny 3 button dpad. My Next Birthday present was one of these joints. I was kicking ass with this joystick.

https://i.imgur.com/q8w8AG0.jpg

Rot
12-16-2017, 02:42 AM
The Truth hurts...

TBH... I would like to have the new blood posting and so forth... some of them eventually could become decent posters and contributing members...

However, the recent posting without researching stuff... is sorta becoming irritating...

xROTx

greatfunky
12-16-2017, 05:04 PM
However, the recent posting without researching stuff... is sorta becoming irritating...

irritating is the right word , Rot :
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273375-japangameonline-MVS-converter

no word of thanks , then 5 min later post a stupid question in the indicated thread

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?249818-Best-MVS-Multicart-and-where-to-buy&p=4258513&viewfull=1#post4258513

and 6 min later in another

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?272543-New-MVS-to-AES-Converter&p=4258515&viewfull=1#post4258515

KIDS WITHOUT MANNERS!
I give up:oh_no:

Neodogg
12-18-2017, 12:44 PM
I give up:oh_no:

well...you are French...

RevQuixo
12-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Latest RetroRGB video talks about the SSDS3 9appound the 3 minute mark) and how the colors are going to be too bright now with the current RGB solution because the PCE outputs at a different voltage than the MD2... Apparently there is no winning in this situation.

https://youtu.be/rwbvAsF8OiE

greatfunky
12-21-2017, 11:29 AM
well...you are French...
Well....what about you ? ......
No .... it doesn't worth talkin bout you .....:-J

Latest RetroRGB video talks about the SSDS3 9appound the 3 minute mark) and how the colors are going to be too bright now with the current RGB solution because the PCE outputs at a different voltage than the MD2... Apparently there is no winning in this situation.

https://youtu.be/rwbvAsF8OiE
I saw his video but the best thing for now is to wait until we have the system in our hands , better than speculations.

I follow retroRGB for a long time now and he's a great guy but sometimes he is too much finicky.

Rot
12-21-2017, 03:45 PM
RetroRGB is a Darksoft supporter...

He also has a beef with Neosd... it will be upto Neosd if he wishes to expand... but my advice is...

If a youtube reviewer wants free device to "review" a product... and when the vendor says NO... I'd suggest that he may NOT... be the most reliable source on the internet...

xROTx

neosd
12-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Well....what about you ? ......
No .... it doesn't worth talkin bout you .....:-J

I saw his video but the best thing for now is to wait until we have the system in our hands , better than speculations.

I follow retroRGB for a long time now and he's a great guy but sometimes he is too much finicky.

About what he reported on his video : he is partially right,
I mean the image is a bit more bright than the one we would have using a rgb cable without caps and resistors and with our original design (with caps and resistors on the board instead of the 0ohm resistors we swapped those for to fit mega drive 2 cable compatibility)

Is it worth to mention that when you havenīt even saw how the image is ? if you ask me, i would say his decision about telling this on the video is more a personal decision than other thing ...

So back to topic, will anyone notice this more bright image without looking at a color bar test pattern for some secconds ? i donīt think so

Alex,

greatfunky
12-21-2017, 04:11 PM
I wasn't aware about his support for darksoft ... too bad:(

like i said he is sometimes too much finicky , at a moment everything you see on a screen seems perfect then, someone say " no no we can improve it again" .
There are limits or we fall into absurdity...

neosd
12-21-2017, 04:20 PM
I wasn't aware about his support for darksoft ... too bad:(

like i said he is sometimes too much finicky , at a moment everything you see on a screen seems perfect then, someone say " no no we can improve it again" .
There are limits or we fall into absurdity...

Fact is : there was no perfect solution.

We had to decide to keep compatibility with the mega drive 2 rgb cables (with caps and resistors) or keep our original design that was perfect but needed a pasive cable without capacitors and resistors.

At the end of the day, it was our fault about not knowing the megadrive 2 had this hardware design issue and it needed a cable with caps and resistors, else we would have choosen the saturn connector and we would not have this drama ...

Retrorgb suggested us to change the connector to avoid people to get confussed and we thought it was a bad idea at our side cause we already had the shells in production and this would have caused a serious delay while we havenīt see any advantage while changing the connector at all.
I mean, changing the connector avoids people from plugging the cable but it would require a different cable at all, so whats the point there ? just to not get people confussed ? so much trouble for such a "solution"

So at the end we decided to choose the mega drive compatibility path, and yes the image is a little more bright but i donīt think this is possible to notice while not using a color patter test screen.

There was a great coment on shumps forum about this subject :

On the other side, if your concept of gaming is staying in front of your TV watching the various 240p test suite patterns then you might have a point, but I'd re-consider some of your priorities in life :P

greatfunky
12-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Fact is : there was no perfect solution.

We had to decide to keep compatibility with the mega drive 2 rgb cables (with caps and resistors) or keep our original design that was perfect but needed a pasive cable without capacitors and resistors.

At the end of the day, it was our fault about not knowing the megadrive 2 had this hardware design issue and it needed a cable with caps and resistors, else we would have choosen the saturn connector and we would not have this drama ...

Retrorgb suggested us to change the connector to avoid people to get confussed and we thought it was a bad idea at our side cause we already had the shells in production and this would have caused a serious delay while we havenīt see any advantage while changing the connector at all.
I mean, changing the connector avoids people from plugging the cable but it would require a different cable at all, so whats the point there ? just to not get people confussed ? so much trouble for such a "solution"

So at the end we decided to choose the mega drive compatibility path, and yes the image is a little more bright but i donīt think this is possible to notice while not using a color patter test screen.

There was a great coment on shumps forum about this subject :

On the other side, if your concept of gaming is staying in front of your TV watching the various 240p test suite patterns then you might have a point, but I'd re-consider some of your priorities in life :P
lol the guy who put this comment on shumps is so right .

I think this quest for image perfection becomes stupid , some years ago there was real discovery about rgb improvement on some consoles , now that everything is done, some are frustrated and are still searching for nothing to find;

neosd
12-21-2017, 04:41 PM
lol the guy who put this comment on shumps is so right .

I think this quest for image perfection becomes stupid , some years ago there was real discovery about rgb improvement on some consoles , now that everything is done, some are frustrated and are still searching for nothing to find;

if you look at this from the other hand :

What have been you using before Super SD System 3 ?

If you were obsessed with rgb : a modded pcengine that required to open the console, solder a pcb with the video amplifier and so ?
If not : the regular av output ?

If you had rgb on your console, you can use this rgb output while getting cd audio from SSDS3.
If you were using the regular video out, you will now have a good rgb output with a sightly brightness that you will only nottice using a test patern

On the other side, if you are so crazy about the purest rgb output, just swap the 6 resistors on the SSDS3 pcb for 3 resistors and 3 capacitors and remove the caps and resistors from the megadrive 2 cable. You had to make a bigger job to get rgb out on your pcengine before SSDS3.

To me all this is a no sense. Not having a great compatibility on the games library would have been an issue ....

Rot
12-21-2017, 04:45 PM
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61467

At least I apologised... right?

xROTx

greatfunky
12-21-2017, 04:50 PM
It seems all those guys make you doubt, mostly do not doubt neosd ! you made the right choices , for the plug , the scart , everything, this product will be a must have for sure !:)

Ps : Rot you have throw a cobble in the pond :drool:

Kid Panda
12-21-2017, 06:14 PM
I think this quest for image perfection becomes stupid , some years ago there was real discovery about rgb improvement on some consoles , now that everything is done, some are frustrated and are still searching for nothing to find

:golfclap:

Syn
12-21-2017, 06:41 PM
When the subject of lowering the SS3's output to satisfy the people who already MD2 expensive cables, I shook my head.

Any old cheap MD2 scart would have produced great results. Now we have people complaining about brightness...people need to stop clouding NeoSD's vision of perfection.

Second guessing has benefited no one.

greedostick
12-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Personally I'm just happy to have a device that plays CD-Roms via Bin/Cue with RGB. I really don't give 2 shits the quality might be slightly bright. Some games could benefit from a slight amount of brightness. Dungeon Explorer comes to mind.

Can't you just turn the brightness down on your television anyway?

RAZO
12-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Personally I'm just happy to have a device that plays CD-Roms via Bin/Cue with RGB. I really don't give 2 shits the quality might be slightly bright. Some games could benefit from a slight amount of brightness. Dungeon Explorer comes to mind.

Can't you just turn the brightness down on your television anyway?

I feel you Greedo. I rather have a nice bright picture that worst case scenario I could turn down on my monitor if need be than a dim picture at max settings on my monitor.

Syn
12-21-2017, 08:37 PM
You guys wouldn't have to touch your monitor had the original design gone through. Just buy a cheaper cable.

Now people have to buy more expensive cables that may give you a brighter picture. Now some will have to find someone to restore the SS3 without voiding the warranty, more cost.

In hindsight, a few upped the cost of the SS3 for no good reason.

RevQuixo
12-22-2017, 08:25 AM
You guys wouldn't have to touch your monitor had the original design gone through. Just buy a cheaper cable.

Now people have to buy more expensive cables that may give you a brighter picture. Now some will have to find someone to restore the SS3 without voiding the warranty, more cost.

In hindsight, a few upped the cost of the SS3 for no good reason.

Bit of crap analysis here. The fact of the matter is that no one knowingly makes passive MD2 cables at this point. Even the cheapie cables that GreatFunky just bought have caps and resistors in them. So did the cables NeoSD was using. So we'd all be left scrambling to find a proper passive RGB cable that didn't make the picture too dark...or the cable companies would have to make them special for us.

Instead we asked, "Well if you are going to use MD2 cables, why not follow the MD2 spec". The assumption here is that translating the PC Engine to MD2 would be possible since other people have done it successfully previously (db electronics booster for example).

There was a unfortunate bit of design weakness here with unknown variables that even the designers didn't anticipate.

Yodd
12-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Bit of crap analysis here. The fact of the matter is that no one knowingly makes passive MD2 cables at this point. Even the cheapie cables that GreatFunky just bought have caps and resistors in them. So did the cables NeoSD was using. So we'd all be left scrambling to find a proper passive RGB cable that didn't make the picture too dark...or the cable companies would have to make them special for us.

Instead we asked, "Well if you are going to use MD2 cables, why not follow the MD2 spec". The assumption here is that translating the PC Engine to MD2 would be possible since other people have done it successfully previously (db electronics booster for example).

There was a unfortunate bit of design weakness here with unknown variables that even the designers didn't anticipate.

+1

Agree completely.

Unless NEOSD wanted to be in the cable business, and I am guessing they don't, they made the right decision.

And, as mentioned above, even the dbGrafx Booster is designed to use a standard MD2 cable (with the 75 ohm resistors and caps in the Scart cable).

And this talk of brightness issues is complete nonsense. NEOSD originally had 75 ohm resistors and the (220uF?) caps in the SD3 and replaced them with 0 ohm jumpers (pretty much straight wire jumpers) so people can use MD2 cables that have the same components in the scart hood. Regardless of whether those components are in the console side or the cable side, there will be ZERO difference in brightness. So long as they are present, everything would be ok. What would have really fucked people is if NEOSD hadn't made that change and people used regular MD2 cable (with caps and resistors in them). Then the picture would have been super dim and they would have to remove the components from the cable to get a proper picture.

Really, you guys need to stop listening to neckbeard (aka RetroRGB) or at the very least step back and think for a moment. I don't remember him being critical of Rene and the dbGrafx Booster and it follows the same MD2 cable standard.

NEOSD made a decision to follow a standard and if you buy MD2 cables from an even remotely decent builder, then they will comply with that standard. So stop buying 99 cent Hong Kong cable specials.

:shame:

greatfunky
12-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Really, you guys need to stop listening to neckbeard (aka RetroRGB) or at the very least step back and think for a moment. I don't remember him being critical of Rene and the dbGrafx Booster and it follows the same MD2 cable standard.

+1

At first , the video of retrorgb did not disturb me because i have a great confidence in neosd and i'm pretty well informed (i'm hanging out here:D).

But, I realize now (after some revelations) that his message is maybe not so innocent .

It sows doubt and even fear , especially when he say : "do not use 2 outputs because you could hurt a lot , the amps , the console hitself"

These remarks has nothing to do here , even if the pce system 3 is not directly involved , why would you use 2 outputs at the same time , why talking about a potential dammage ? in a video of a non released product , unless you have a motivation.

Terraonion has created the neosd then now the pce system 3 , far above the skills of all those guys and they want us to believe they can not handle a basical RGB output ? it makes me laugh.....

Neodogg
12-22-2017, 11:09 AM

chasing those dragons...

Syn
12-22-2017, 11:13 AM
On a side note, I'm surprised so many use the model two for gaming. I use a model 1 and would be set cable wise.

greatfunky
12-22-2017, 11:15 AM
chasing those dragons...
chasing you should be a good start...

RevQuixo
12-22-2017, 11:21 AM
On a side note, I'm surprised so many use the model two for gaming. I use a model 1 and would be set cable wise.

Model 1 doesn’t output Stereo without patching it in from the headphone jack seperately.

Syn
12-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Model 1 doesn’t output Stereo without patching it in from the headphone jack seperately.

Yes and

I was mentioning I was surprised so many use a model 2.

Jibbajaba
12-22-2017, 11:24 AM
The RetroRGB/Voultar/db crew is really fucking annoying. That show they do together is awful. They're talking about fucking video games but act like they're curing cancer.

wyo
12-22-2017, 11:29 AM
The RetroRGB/Voultar/db crew is really fucking annoying. That show they do together is awful. They're talking about fucking video games but act like they're curing cancer.

:lolz:

RevQuixo
12-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Yes and

I was mentioning I was surprised so many use a model 2.

Because Model 2 has enough pins to support composite video, RGB, and stereo sound.

If you are referring to systems..I would imagine that, yes, most of us are using Model 1 Gennys...but if you use a 32X, you are back to model 2 cabling again. Also, HD Retrovision uses the Model 2 as their base connector for the Genesis cables with adapters to plig into it..so again people have those.

Syn
12-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I was just referring to systems.

neosd
12-22-2017, 03:44 PM

I think this yotube phenomenon is taking out a lot of tards under the rocks.

I mean, i am not talking specifically about RetroRGB but i see so many people on youtube that couldnīt even tie the laces alone, thiking they are top guys.

Most of those canīt even make a proper video recording. You can easy spot a guy that does a proper recording and a proper editing from others that just say stupid things in a camera with 0 effort.

Every teen now thinks he is going to be a superstar uploading shit there. Mosf of those dosenīt even knows what working hard is.

Jibbajaba
12-22-2017, 05:18 PM
I mean, i am not talking specifically about RetroRGB but i see so many people on youtube that couldnīt even tie the laces alone, thiking they are top guys.

http://www.jibbajaba.com/TopMen.gif

Yodd
12-22-2017, 05:20 PM
:lolz:

sr20det510
12-22-2017, 09:19 PM
I think this yotube phenomenon is taking out a lot of tards under the rocks.

Every teen now thinks he is going to be a superstar uploading shit there. Mosf of those dosenīt even knows what working hard is.

Teens (and some grown ups) use to say they would be in the NFL or NBA, now they think they are going to be YouTube stars.

What a joke, especially when they are full of shit.

GohanX
12-23-2017, 11:28 PM
How can the dude have any clue about the brightness that the SD3 has without knowing what kind of RGB amp they use? If they don't have the product in their hands testing it they need to shut the fuck up.

I've modded a ton of PCEs. So has Yodd. We'll let you know how it looks when we get ours.

greedostick
12-24-2017, 01:38 AM
We're still talking about this RGB cable nonsense!?

The product hasn't even shipped yet. Out of all the RGB cable makers, I'm positive at least one has ordered a Super System 3. I'm sure those distributors are reading over these Super System 3 threads right now salivating at the thought a new RGB cable may need to be developed so they can push more product.

A solution will present its self shortly after there is a need for the cable. Just give it a few months and then speculate about this. Contact them or something and tell them about the Super System 3 if you all are that worried, but I'm sure a solution will materialize early 2018 if the Super System 3 ships as planned.

RevQuixo
12-24-2017, 08:38 AM
There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.

neodev
12-24-2017, 10:05 AM
There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.

Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.

RevQuixo
12-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.

Sounds good. Thanks for being so awesome dealing with us having continued dialogue on the project. I can't wait to get my hands on one. :)

ovalfastlx
12-26-2017, 06:31 PM
The RetroRGB/Voultar/db crew is really fucking annoying. That show they do together is awful. They're talking about fucking video games but act like they're curing cancer.[emoji23]🤣

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

torgo100
01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Here's my 2 cents on the RGB talk.

I've never done any RGB because my Sony WEGA has S-Video and Component, but it recently died :-(

Also, since the Super SD has an RGB output, I now have to make that move. I'm buying an OSSC on Friday, and since I'm making this move for the Super SD, I figure that I may as well do so for some other consoles that I own as well (I own 68 consoles, so...)

Also, I like to be prepared, and it'll be beneficial to my excitement to have a compatible cable and the OSSC by the time the Super SD arrives. I really don't want to wait until the device arrives before I figure my cabling solution out.

So maybe cut-down on the hostility. There are people like me that try to do the research because I've never dabbled in RGB tech before.

mistahsnart
01-04-2018, 06:56 AM
The OSSC is a great device! Just watch out for the compatibility issues.

In regards to still using a CRT: You should consider a set of Sega Genesis component cables from HD Retrovision. I have several of them for various consoles, and they work great for getting component into my CRTs. They're sold out right now, but there's another production run coming up.

torgo100
01-04-2018, 07:45 AM
The OSSC is a great device! Just watch out for the compatibility issues.

In regards to still using a CRT: You should consider a set of Sega Genesis component cables from HD Retrovision. I have several of them for various consoles, and they work great for getting component into my CRTs. They're sold out right now, but there's another production run coming up.

Compatibility issues? What type?

re: CRT
If I could get the WEGA fixed, I totally would, but I doubt that's a possibility any more :-( I plan to stream/record video anyway, so the OSSC is happening no matter what though.

X68
01-06-2018, 02:20 AM
When will the tools be available to create preview tiles etc pls?

neosd
01-06-2018, 10:43 AM
When will the tools be available to create preview tiles etc pls?

Good question, i have to ask neodev.

Tools are ready but GadgetUK told us that the tool was crashing on his computer. We didnīt had this issue here, and i was working on other things so i donīt really know if this issue was replicated/solved

mistahsnart
01-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Compatibility issues? What type?
Since the OSSC runs without a framebuffer, it passes the odd timings and quirks that older consoles put out straight to your display. The compatibility comes in on a display-by-display basis. Some work great, some don't. Good place to start with your research is here (https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/tv-compatibility/).

I'm not trying to deter you, as it's a great product. Just be mindful that it has quirks, and in some cases, just won't work with a given display.

neodev
01-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Good question, i have to ask neodev.

Tools are ready but GadgetUK told us that the tool was crashing on his computer. We didnīt had this issue here, and i was working on other things so i donīt really know if this issue was replicated/solved

The tools are almost ready, just that issue that gadgetuk had when scanning some cdroms. I need to send him a build that logs the errors instead of crashing :)
Also I've been trying to make it work on linux and mac. So far the command line conversion works but the UI isn't. It's a plain .NET application, this time there are not weird VC++ runtime requirements, just the standard .net (or mono for mac and linux)

grendelrt
01-11-2018, 07:49 AM
So when ordering a Genesis 2 cable , it looks like there is a composite video version and a csync version. Not sure what the difference on these two is internally, any one we should lean towards?

https://retro-access.com/collections/frontpage/products/us-seller-genesis-2-32x-cdx-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

https://retro-access.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-genesis-2-32x-cdx-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

sparksterz
01-11-2018, 07:57 AM
So when ordering a Genesis 2 cable , it looks like there is a composite video version and a csync version. Not sure what the difference on these two is internally, any one we should lean towards?

https://retro-access.com/collections/frontpage/products/us-seller-genesis-2-32x-cdx-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

https://retro-access.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-genesis-2-32x-cdx-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

In the first post on that thread:

It also outputs TTL level csync (negative hsync & vsync)

So, go csync.

GohanX
01-11-2018, 08:05 AM
That doesn't really answer his question though as the cables will be pulling sync from different pins. If you want to be safe the composite sync cable would definitely work since NeoSD has stated that Genesis composite cables will work, but TO would have to answer if they also have csync going to the other pin.

https://www.gamesx.com/grafx/32xpin.jpg

grendelrt
01-11-2018, 08:55 AM
In the first post on that thread:

So, go csync.

That doesn't really answer his question though as the cables will be pulling sync from different pins. If you want to be safe the composite sync cable would definitely work since NeoSD has stated that Genesis composite cables will work, but TO would have to answer if they also have csync going to the other pin.

https://www.gamesx.com/grafx/32xpin.jpg
Yup, wasnt sure what the difference in wiring is, I would prefer to use a csync cable if possible (not a big deal either way).

flashbackx
01-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Pictures of the Retro Access Csync cable for neosd:

Best I could do :conf: Let me know if you need a better shot.

neosd
01-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Pictures of the Retro Access Csync cable for neosd:

Best I could do :conf: Let me know if you need a better shot.

Could you remove a bit the plastic that is covering the capacitors ? i would like to know if those are missing the resistors (it looks like on those pictures, but i am not sure ...)

Thanks for the pictures !

flashbackx
01-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Well, I tried to. It's taped and stuck really good... won't peel off. I'd have to cut it.

Syn
01-16-2018, 10:19 PM
I'm wondering about the one that works vs accidently damaging the expensive one.

Any chance of seeing the cheaper ones innards. ;)

sparksterz
01-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Could you remove a bit the plastic that is covering the capacitors ? i would like to know if those are missing the resistors (it looks like on those pictures, but i am not sure ...)

Thanks for the pictures !

I should be getting one in the mail later today. I can try to take mine apart, won't bother me any if I have to muck mine up a bit. I believe I also have a normal composite sync cable as well, but I'll have to see if it's sitting around in my 32x box/Genesis model 2 box.

RAZO
01-17-2018, 08:50 AM
I wonder if the people only having a issue with the more expensive Csync cables are people that are using a upscaler like ossc and HD Monitor. Does the issue occur when playing on a crt?

I ordered the cheap Amazon cables anyways, just wanted to know.

MobiusStripTech
01-17-2018, 09:08 AM
As soon as I get my SSD3, I will test with my retro-access Gen2 cable. CSync has higher compatibility with devices than composite video as sync. Extron Crosspoint, framemeister, and sometimes OSSC have issues with CV as sync.

flashbackx
01-17-2018, 10:12 AM
I wonder if the people only having a issue with the more expensive Csync cables are people that are using a upscaler like ossc and HD Monitor. Does the issue occur when playing on a crt?

I ordered the cheap Amazon cables anyways, just wanted to know.

I am using a framemeister with mine. Before the SSD3 I was using one of these with my PCE http://www.stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html and the Retro Access cable worked well with it. I have no idea if it works on a CRT.

I will open the cheap cable

Milspex
01-17-2018, 10:51 AM
I have two of those Retrogamingcables Packapunch MD2 cables. I will test them as soon as my SSD3 arrives.

RAZO
01-17-2018, 11:41 AM
I am using a framemeister with mine. Before the SSD3 I was using one of these with my PCE http://www.stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html and the Retro Access cable worked well with it. I have no idea if it works on a CRT.

I will open the cheap cable

Ok, I guess I'll find out once I get the unit. Worst case scenario, I will keep the cable invade I decide to go with the OSSC one day.

flashbackx
01-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Here are the shots of el cheapo:

RevQuixo
01-17-2018, 01:17 PM
I have two of those Retrogamingcables Packapunch MD2 cables. I will test them as soon as my SSD3 arrives.

Based on testing over on the shmups forums csync cables from RGC aren't working either.

Syn
01-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Here are the shots of el cheapo:

Thank you!

Milspex
01-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Seeing as those Packapunch cables are properly built MD2 cables and seeing the Super SD System 3 advertised as being able to output csync , this would be very dissappointing. Not to jump the gun, I will do a test when I have the unit in hand.

RevQuixo
01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Seeing as those Packapunch cables are properly built MD2 cables and seeing the Super SD System 3 advertised as being able to output csync , this would be very dissappointing. Not to jump the gun, I will do a test when I have the unit in hand.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61381&start=210

neodev made a post in the thread that it seems CSYNC may not be behaving like it was in their internal testing and they are looking into a work around.

MobiusStripTech
01-17-2018, 02:56 PM
I find it interesting how people hate on the retro-access cables. Her cables are made to the same specs as the rgc cables.

Just a note about the cheap cable shown above, that is outputting TTL csync if it's actually hooked up to the csync pin on the genesis side. I have seen many cheap cables hook the sync line to the composite video and advertise that they are using the sync pin.

Syn
01-17-2018, 03:19 PM
It's not hating on them, they're perfect for the Gen/MD. We need one perfect for the SSDS3 and they may not be.

More testing by the masses is needed. Most likely people's setups will decide what is needed.

I use an OSSC and xrgb 3 so I'll be trying scart and jp 21.

RAZO
01-17-2018, 03:23 PM
It's not hating on them, they're perfect for the Gen/MD. We need one perfect for the SSDS3 and they may not be.

More testing by the masses is needed. Most likely people's setups will decide what is needed.

I use an OSSC and xrgb 3 so I'll be trying scart and jp 21.

This. A bunch of people here told me to order cables from her because they are quality. I honestly don't care if I have to buy another cable just as long as it works.

RetroRectalGrabBoy
01-17-2018, 04:27 PM
RetroRGB is a Darksoft supporter...

He also has a beef with Neosd... it will be upto Neosd if he wishes to expand... but my advice is...

If a youtube reviewer wants free device to "review" a product... and when the vendor says NO... I'd suggest that he may NOT... be the most reliable source on the internet...

xROTx
I don't understand where any of this is coming from, although Alex has said he feels this way too. I've done nothing but praise and defend the NeoSD. I talk about EVERYTHING that I find interesting...and sometimes those products are from Darksoft. I've also never EVER asked for ANYTHING for free. I've purchased every single device I've reviewed, including the NeoSD.

Look Rot, I know this is your playground and people here will just take your word as gospel, but even if you hate my guts, maybe respect the fact that all I've ever given a shit about is the tech side of things? I really don't care who makes what, I just want awesome products that work.

Actually, since I'm here, I gotta ask Rot: Why exactly are you like this? I'd love to get you on for an interview and talk about all the great stuff that's come out of this site...but also about all the drama and hatred you intentionally surround yourself with. Wanna do a Skype interview and talk it out? I'll even give you full control over what happens to the recording and I won't post it if you decide you don't like how it went.

RAZO
01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
I don't understand where any of this is coming from, although Alex has said he feels this way too. I've done nothing but praise and defend the NeoSD. I talk about EVERYTHING that I find interesting...and sometimes those products are from Darksoft. I've also never EVER asked for ANYTHING for free. I've purchased every single device I've reviewed, including the NeoSD.

Look Rot, I know this is your playground and people here will just take your word as gospel, but even if you hate my guts, maybe respect the fact that all I've ever given a shit about is the tech side of things? I really don't care who makes what, I just want awesome products that work.

Actually, since I'm here, I gotta ask Rot: Why exactly are you like this? I'd love to get you on for an interview and talk about all the great stuff that's come out of this site...but also about all the drama and hatred you intentionally surround yourself with. Wanna do a Skype interview and talk it out? I'll even give you full control over what happens to the recording and I won't post it if you decide you don't like how it went.

Ohh boy

RetroRectalGrabBoy
01-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Ohh boy

No no no...there's no "get the popcorn", no "Bob vs Rot rivalry", no "oh boy"...I'm talking as one adult to another. No "tone" in my voice. No fight starting. Rot, the invitation is open and I'd like a calm conversation about things. In fact, I think a lot of people would really love to hear from you.

Back on topic - If anyone's in the NYC area, you're welcome to bring the SSDS3 over and I'll check it out with a scope, as well as all the different cables and cable types I have. Alex might have a problem with me, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a huge fan of his work and am happy to help figure this out so all of us can benefit from a great product.

Rot
01-17-2018, 04:49 PM

AT LAST.... System11 is a nice bloke (respect where it's due)... so i didn't push it on Schmups...

YOU on the other hand are a different matter...

I DON'T like freeloaders...
I DON'T like people who ask for a FREE gift.. in return for a review that is quite frankly piss poor... techinally uniformed video..

Why do you think the initial SD 3 reviews are with someone who paid and will actually spend a week road testing and then informing people...

As for accusation that NG.com is my world... I'd like to point out that my rep extends beyond it's borders... I just choose to focus my time here...

Can you say the same of yourself? Your rep here is non-existent... same on Sega16, pcefx... etc etc...

I aint here to play with you... I'll tell you how it is...

PS. As for Darksoft... you can go suck him off later... Why don't you review his impending NG SD release.... THEN we'll decide how far he's up your arse...

Tw3ek
01-17-2018, 04:52 PM
PS. As for Darksoft... you can go suck him off later... Why don't you review his impending NG SD release.... THEN we'll decide how far he's up your arse...

Well, he'd have to put something out first..... :D

DecepticonZero
01-17-2018, 04:54 PM
So Bob, NeoSD said you asked for a free unit. Maybe you should start there instead of going all in on Rot. He is just going off of what was said to him.

So, did you ask NeoSD for a free unit to review?

Rot
01-17-2018, 04:55 PM
So Bob, NeoSD said you asked for a free unit. Maybe you should start there instead of going all in on Rot. He is just going off of what was told.to him.

Yes... Neosd has the correspondance...

He told me and i got angry...

xROTx

PS. When Neosd was just starting out... he gave away free units of the NG release to drum up exposure... RetroRGB got one...

When the SD 3 was announced... Bowl in hand... is the term i would use...

RetroRectalGrabBoy
01-17-2018, 04:59 PM
I DON'T like people who ask for a FREE gift.. in return for a review that is quite frankly piss poor... techinally uniformed video..

Honestly, I've never asked for a free unit from ANYONE. Are you just trying to fuck with me, or did someone really tell you that I've been asking for free shit?

Everything else you posted is your opinion and you're obviously entitled to that...but seriously, I've never asked for anything for free.

Your rep here is non-existent...
Right, because I avoid this place, because of posts like this.

I treat people online the same way I do in person. I've met many of you "forum tough guys" before at Exop's, events, etc. and almost every single one has been really polite and respectful in person. I don't understand why you think it's okay to talk like this. Would you talk like that in an interview? I'd love to find out...

Syn
01-17-2018, 04:59 PM
Just a note about the cheap cable shown above, that is outputting TTL csync if it's actually hooked up to the csync pin on the genesis side. I have seen many cheap cables hook the sync line to the composite video and advertise that they are using the sync pin.

I just wanted to see if they had anything added being cheap cables. That was going back to an earlier thought mentioned in the past.

Rot
01-17-2018, 05:02 PM
Honestly, I've never asked for a free unit from ANYONE. Are you just trying to fuck with me, or did someone really tell you that I've been asking for free shit?

Everything else you posted is your opinion and you're obviously entitled to that...but seriously, I've never asked for anything for free.

Right, because I avoid this place, because of posts like this.

I treat people online the same way I do in person. I've met many of you "forum tough guys" before at Exop's, events, etc. and almost every single one has been really polite and respectful in person. I don't understand why you think it's okay to talk like this. Would you talk like that in an interview? I'd love to find out...

I like your spunk... but I never swallow...

OH... BTW... respect is EARNED in the scene mofo... not handed out on a plate... (best say that now...)

I don't need a Johnny come lately to tell me where to shit in the woods...

Now... about the freeloading thing...

RetroRectalGrabBoy
01-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Absolutely not, although maybe Alex assumed I did? I often ask if places are sending review units out; Meaning send it, I test and send back. I also have asked many times if I can "buy the first one off the assembly line" from people...which I'll admit is a dick move since I'm essentially "skipping the line", but I DO try my best to review and promote whatever it is.

I really hope this isn't just a misunderstanding...

Rot
01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
I just wanted to see if they had anything added being cheap cables. That was going back to an earlier thought mentioned in the past.

Don't worry Syn man...

I think I'll move this convo to the War Room...

xROTx

PS. Just to focus RetroBobs mind... he's getting moved in there as well...

RetroRectalGrabBoy
01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
YWhen Neosd was just starting out... he gave away free units of the NG release to drum up exposure... RetroRGB got one...
I paid for mine. Want to see the receipt?

Rot
01-17-2018, 05:07 PM
I paid for mine. Want to see the receipt?

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273740-Dear-RetroRGB&goto=newpost

SURE...

xROTx

Eatitup_86
01-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Hi there,

I hope this issue is resolved in a timely manner but I am definitely grateful for the device itself.

I am able to play the system but it has a strange rainbowing effect during movement + bleeds colors on the right side of object in games on my BVM output.
Not sure if it is important but white bleeds purple lines out the right side & blue bleeds blue lines.

I have taken pictures of my current setup in the hopes that there may be something on the SD System 3 I can change to resolve the issue.

Here is my current setup as well as a link to the pictures showing the above:
System: Supergrafx
BVM: 14F5U
SCART Splitter: GscartSW Lite
Upscaler for LCD: Framemeister
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zq5kdZM_jAebkbMuut66GJYyGAxq3gOq?usp=sharing

Hopefully this can help in some way with NeoDevs investigation into the issue.

Kez
01-17-2018, 05:30 PM
I have taken pictures of my current setup in the hopes that there may be something on the SD System 3 I can change to resolve the issue.

Are you connecting that SCART cable to the SSDS3? I'm not sure how on spec it is. I can't see any resistors on the RGB lines (unless they are in the other end) and it looks like you have a sync stripper or something in there as well.

flashbackx
01-17-2018, 06:06 PM
This. A bunch of people here told me to order cables from her because they are quality. I honestly don't care if I have to buy another cable just as long as it works.

Agreed. I have have bought most of my cables from her and they've all worked great. This is just an odd issue that is easily solved by using a different cable... for me at least.

Eatitup_86
01-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Are you connecting that SCART cable to the SSDS3? I'm not sure how on spec it is. I can't see any resistors on the RGB lines (unless they are in the other end) and it looks like you have a sync stripper or something in there as well.

Yep, that is the cable I am using. it came from RetroGameAccessories (Retro-access). There are resistors in there but you can only see one in the photos. I guess they are installed directly on to the SCART cable pins based on that one's positioning. This cable works perfectly on my Genesis 2 which is what it was designed for originally.

The sync stripping occurring on the LCD is from the Framemeister. The BVM input is direct from the gscartsw lite.

Jibbajaba
01-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Oh, is this why I got a Twitter DM from Voultar today, upset at what I said about their show? Because RetroRGB saw my comment in this thread?

To tie a bow around what I said directly to him in DM, if you guys are going to criticize people and their work on your show, then some people aren't going to like your show.

He wanted to know why I would do something shitty like that to him, and I replied with "shitty like scaring people into not buying Everdrives because it will fry their hardware?" and his reply was "what does that have to do with me?". Uhh, because Rene is your co-host? Those Everdrives are how Krikzz makes his living. You're fucking with someone's means of putting food on the table because Rene has a theory. How many game consoles do we know (or even suspect) are taking a dirt nap because the owner used Everdrives? Zero plus or minus zero. But because Rene has a theory that this could put extra wear-and-tear on a console's electronics, let's work the retrogaming world up into a tizzy.

I also saw the video you (Voultar) put up where you re-did a Doujindance Duo-R. Now, cards on the table, that's why I contacted you about re-doing my unit, but to be honest, you were such an asshole in that video that I was really tempted to not contact you at all (and ultimately your attitude is why I said "nevermind". I gave you the story about spending the money on something else because I was trying to extricate myself from the situation without being a cunt. Oh well.) Doujindance might not be a professional EE. Maybe he's just a guy trying to do his best based on what he knows. I've heard that his work has gotten better, so maybe he's made an effort to learn. I have no idea. But you completely destroyed him in that video. It's OK to make a video showing what goes into re-doing his mod work, and cautioning people that his work is obviously not pro-quality without treating him like a god damned retard.

Point is, if you're going to put negativity (and a ton of bravado) out there, don't be shocked when some people don't like you. I get called every name in the book in the comments section of my videos. You know how many times I've contacted the offenders to argue with them? Never.

TuSecsy
01-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Oh, is this why I got a Twitter DM from Voultar today, upset at what I said about their show? Because RetroRGB saw my comment in this thread?

To tie a bow around what I said directly to him in DM, if you guys are going to criticize people and their work on your show, then some people aren't going to like your show.

He wanted to know why I would do something shitty like that to him, and I replied with "shitty like scaring people into not buying Everdrives because it will fry their hardware?" and his reply was "what does that have to do with me?". Uhh, because Rene is your co-host? Those Everdrives are how Krikzz makes his living. You're fucking with someone's means of putting food on the table because Rene has a theory. How many game consoles do we know (or even suspect) are taking a dirt nap because the owner used Everdrives? Zero plus or minus zero. But because Rene has a theory that this could put extra wear-and-tear on a console's electronics, let's work the retrogaming world up into a tizzy.

I also saw the video you (Voultar) put up where you re-did a Doujindance Duo-R. Now, cards on the table, that's why I contacted you about re-doing my unit, but to be honest, you were such an asshole in that video that I was really tempted to not contact you at all (and ultimately your attitude is why I said "nevermind". I gave you the story about spending the money on something else because I was trying to extricate myself from the situation without being a cunt. Oh well.) Doujindance might not be a professional EE. Maybe he's just a guy trying to do his best based on what he knows. I've heard that his work has gotten better, so maybe he's made an effort to learn. I have no idea. But you completely destroyed him in that video. It's OK to make a video showing what goes into re-doing his mod work, and cautioning people that his work is obviously not pro-quality without treating him like a god damned retard.

Point is, if you're going to put negativity (and a ton of bravado) out there, don't be shocked when some people don't like you. I get called every name in the book in the comments section of my videos. You know how many times I've contacted the offenders to argue with them? Never.

Ya that Rene/Krikzz bullshit left a stain on all those guys. Rene is a fuckin idiot let's be real. Oh no 30 years from now I might lose a day off a consoles lifespan (in theory)! Throw out your everdrives! Jealous fuckin hack, lul.

Voultar is good people though, he has every right to make fun of that douchendance jizm. At least Voultar has the skills/knowledge to back up what he says unlike Bob/Rene/Etc.

Jibbajaba
01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Ya that Rene/Krikzz bullshit left a stain on all those guys. Rene is a fuckin idiot let's be real. Oh no 30 years from now I might lose a day off a consoles lifespan (in theory)! Throw out your everdrives! Jealous fuckin hack, lul.

Voultar is good people though, he has every right to make fun of that douchendance jizm. At least Voultar has the skills/knowledge to back up what he says unlike Bob/Rene/Etc.

I'm not saying that anyone is an idiot, I'm just saying that I don't like the way they handle things. And I think that it comes from a feeling of self-importance, which is why I said what I originally did. Voultar is obviously a smart guy, but he walks around like he has an "S" on his chest or that he has a dick swinging between his legs that's bigger than his forearm. A little bit of humility never hurt anyone.

TuSecsy
01-17-2018, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying that anyone is an idiot, I'm just saying that I don't like the way they handle things. And I think that it comes from a feeling of self-importance, which is why I said what I originally did. Voultar is obviously a smart guy, but he walks around like he has an "S" on his chest or that he has a dick swinging between his legs that's bigger than his forearm. A little bit of humility never hurt anyone.

I think he's funny. And Rene is still a fuckin idiot. But to each their own.

Voultar
01-17-2018, 09:26 PM

Rather than conflating what was actually said. Let's talk about why I PM'd you in the first place. I was genuinely interested in not what you said, but what motivated you to say what you said. I wouldn't PM a normal stranger. But we know the same people and sorta run in the same circles so I assumed that we were somewhat pals. Whether it was cunty or childish is totally beside the point. But when I communicated to you that it I found your remarks about me kinda shitty and harsh, your retort was something along the lines of "Shitty like scaring people into thinking that Everdrives are going to fry their systems?" Who in the fuck said that? I didn't say that. Did Rene say that? Did you actually read his article? Perhaps you didn't understand the data being presented? Who knows. I'm a pretty friendly guy and I try to help everyone that I can. But to equate something that hasn't anything to do with me along with my video critique of a guy living in Japan (DoujinDance) who was selling $400+ PC-E Duo's that were terrible and DANGEROUSLY modded, SHOWING people how they, themselves can fix said systems is the result of someone with too much self-importance? I'm sorry, but that's completely erroneous, You then coupled your justification further by saying something along the lines of "I read about how you guys are digging in to this new PCE thingy from NeoSD and then find out that your other co-host is buddies with DarkSoft." -Dude, are you fucking serious? I've OPENLY submitted analog spice simulations to those guys so that they can implement a more refined RGB circuit in a later revisions. I've not "dug" into anyone.. Please cite where you read that. I'm trying to help them out. As for what RetroRGB does, says, fucks, wanks too, what fucking business is that of mine? That's akin to saying "Well, RetroGGBob raped 4 clowns at the Carnival last week. He does a podcast once a month with a couple of other dudes, so they're guilty, too.

You are completely free to have whatever opinion you want of me. Again, I was merely interested in your method of thinking. It's a moment of teaching for me, at least. I like Rot, and I like almost everyone here. I try to help everyone. If you don't like me, that's completely 100% fine. I was merely curious as to why.

TuSecsy
01-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Rather than conflating what was actually said. Let's talk about why I PM'd you in the first place. I was genuinely interested in not what you said, but what motivated you to say what you said. I wouldn't PM a normal stranger. But we know the same people and sorta run in the same circles so I assumed that we were somewhat pals. Whether it was cunty or childish is totally beside the point. But when I communicated to you that it I found your remarks about me kinda shitty and harsh, your retort was something along the lines of "Shitty like scaring people into thinking that Everdrives are going to fry their systems?" Who in the fuck said that? I didn't say that. Did Rene say that? Did you actually read his article? Perhaps you didn't understand the data being presented? Who knows. I'm a pretty friendly guy and I try to help everyone that I can. But to equate something that hasn't anything to do with me along with my video critique of a guy living in Japan (DoujinDance) who was selling $400+ PC-E Duo's that were terrible and DANGEROUSLY modded, SHOWING people how they, themselves can fix said systems is the result of someone with too much self-importance? I'm sorry, but that's completely erroneous, You then coupled your justification further by saying something along the lines of "I read about how you guys are digging in to this new PCE thingy from NeoSD and then find out that your other co-host is buddies with DarkSoft." -Dude, are you fucking serious? I've OPENLY submitted analog spice simulations to those guys so that they can implement a more refined RGB circuit in a later revisions. I've not "dug" into anyone.. Please cite where you read that. I'm trying to help them out. As for what RetroRGB does, says, fucks, wanks too, what fucking business is that of mine? That's akin to saying "Well, RetroGGBob raped 4 clowns at the Carnival last week. He does a podcast once a month with a couple of other dudes, so they're guilty, too.

You are completely free to have whatever opinion you want of me. Again, I was merely interested in your method of thinking. It's a moment of teaching for me, at least. I like Rot, and I like almost everyone here. I try to help everyone. If you don't like me, that's completely 100% fine. I was just curious as to why.

Rene did say certain everdrives are dangerous to your system and will reduce it's lifespan (i.e. eventually fry it), with zero real world evidence to back it up. There's also a bunch of errors in his article which the whole roundtable refuses to acknowledge (saying certain everdrives didn't have grounds when they in fact did, for example). And you did back him up on said podcast.

That's akin to saying "I agree with what Bob did to those poor helpless clowns, in fact I handed him the mace, and I was jerkin off while he did it". Just keepin it real, you can argue semantics if you like.

Voultar
01-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Rene did say certain everdrives are dangerous to your system and will reduce it's lifespan (i.e. eventually fry it). With zero real world evidence to back it up. And you did back him up on said podcast. Just keepin it real, you can argue semantics if you like.

Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it probable? Of fucking course not! I'm pretty sure that was thoroughly clarified.

And about the whole Doujindance video. Have you any idea how many times he was contacted and pleaded with to NOT use 2-part epoxy when modding up DUO-R systems? A bunch of times! Do you know how many of those systems that I and others have saved from the fucking dumpsters? Why shouldn't he be called out for that? He's now producing PCB's for his modifications and things are much, much better.

@Jibbajaba - I have absolutely no beef with you. I wish you the best in whatever your endeavors are. Since you made a point to talk about my DM's here, I wanted to enact the labor of explaining everything, in very clear terms.

TuSecsy
01-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it probable? Of fucking course not! I'm pretty sure that was thoroughly clarified.

And about the whole Doujindance video. Have you any idea how many times he was contacted and pleaded with to NOT use 2-part epoxy when modding up DUO-R systems? A bunch of times! Do you know how many of those systems that I and others have saved from the fucking dumpsters? Why shouldn't he be called out for that? He's now producing PCB's for his modifications and things are much, much better.

@Jibbajaba - I have absolutely no beef with you. I wish you the best in whatever your endeavors are. Since you made a point to talk about my DM's here, I wanted to enact the labor of explaining everything, in very clear terms.

It actually wasn't thoroughly clarified at any point. You never said it's not probable, in fact all of you were saying it is a hard fact that these are reducing the lifespan of the systems based on Rene's amazing junk science theory. And you attacked and laughed at anyone who doubted the validity of his claims. There is zero, I repeat, zero chance of any everdrive reducing your systems lifespan, FAX!

It's also just as possible that Bob fucked those clowns after killing them. That sick bastard.

But fuck douchendance. Please please please never stop making fun of and humiliating him and anyone else like him. It's fuckin hilarious and also a much needed service/warning for the community, thank you.

Jibbajaba
01-17-2018, 09:55 PM
You are completely free to have whatever opinion you want of me. Again, I was merely interested in your method of thinking. It's a moment of teaching for me, at least. I like Rot, and I like almost everyone here. I try to help everyone. If you don't like me, that's completely 100% fine. I was merely curious as to why.

Look, man. It goes without saying that I don't know you personally. Maybe you're good peeps. But online you put out a real "I need to be the smartest guy in the room" vibe, like the kind of guy who screams out his own name during sex. I know and can not stand people like that in real life. If you want to stare at yourself in the mirror while you jack off, that's your business. But when you start knocking other people down to make yourself look smart, that's where I check out.

I personally just try to make good content to put out there without getting up in anyone else's shit, and I respect other people who do the same. I've been on YT for almost 5 years now, and this is the first instance of inter-creator drama I've gotten involved in. Can you say the same? Nope.

Voultar
01-17-2018, 09:56 PM
It's bad practice to generate more heat when you don't have to and problems can absolutely arise. I agree that more emphasis should've been placed on the actual poor practice than the extreme ramifications.

It's a poor design choice. I don't know how that can be refuted.

Voultar
01-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Oh, I didn't PM you as a miffed "content" creator. I PM'd you as a manly man. I hope you go for another 5 years and make wonderful content that's original and fruitful. I like your stuff!

TuSecsy
01-17-2018, 10:09 PM
It's bad practice to generate more heat when you don't have to and problems can absolutely arise. I agree that more emphasis should've been placed on the actual poor practice than the extreme ramifications.

It's a poor design choice. I don't know how that can be refuted.

Poor design choice like not having dummy pins in the middle to solidify the connection of the dbgrafxboostr?

It's only a "poor design choice" if it actually matters to the end user, which it doesn't. There's no proof it even generates more heat. Stop defending baldy he's the weak point in your crew and you know it.

I find Voultar's arrogance hilarious and addictive. If you want the boring NPR alternative to Howard Stern, then by all means, listen to NPR.

I would guess that if you knew him in real life he's also extremely kind and generous to everyone he knows. I would also guess that jibbajaba is a judgemental selfish prick... Funny how personalities work.

MobiusStripTech
01-17-2018, 10:10 PM
Just saying, whether you like Rene or not, he wasn't trying to ruin Krikzz. He did talk to Krikzz before putting out his article. The more important part of the article that everyone forgets is that he was mainly pointing out the issues with the multicarts from China. Yes Everdrives were brought up but the multicarts, which we all know have issues, were the real point.

On topic, if you guys do buy the cheap cable just be aware that if it is connected to the sync pin on the system side and you put it into a frammeister, gscart, or OSSC you can genuinely damage them. They might work but there are known issues with TTL csync on those devices.

Jibbajaba
01-17-2018, 10:17 PM
I'm not saying that Rene was out to ruin Krikzz. But I think that what he did was irresponsible.

Yodd
01-17-2018, 10:20 PM
On topic, if you guys do buy the cheap cable just be aware that if it is connected to the sync pin on the system side and you put it into a frammeister, gscart, or OSSC you can genuinely damage them. They might work but there are known issues with TTL csync on those devices.

I can't possibly imagine why they would be connected to the sync pin. To even come close to being Euro Scart standard, they should use composite video.

I have one coming in tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what is what with them.

MobiusStripTech
01-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Most of the cheap ones do connect to composite video, but you never know. Just giving a word of warning. I have a cheap one I use for testing and it was listed as being csync but it's definitely composite video.

turdkind
01-17-2018, 11:33 PM
Most of the cheap ones do connect to composite video, but you never know. Just giving a word of warning. I have a cheap one I use for testing and it was listed as being csync but it's definitely composite video.

For those of us who are less technically inclined, can you show us what to look for in our cables to know for sure? I bought one of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Mega-drive-Megadrive-2-Genesis-II-2-RGB-SCART-EURO-Cable-CLEAN-SYNC-CSYNC/173075978966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) because I have an MD1 SCART cable from this seller that works really well, but I also use a gscart and OSSC, so now I'm paranoid about damaging them with a TTL csync cable (which is what this one is claimed to be).

MobiusStripTech
01-17-2018, 11:48 PM
The easiest thing to do is open the scart head and see if there are any components on the sync line. In the pictures of the cheap cable earlier in the thread it was the yellow wire that had no components.

If there are components on that line then it's hooked up to the csync pin for sure. If it's not then you would need to use a multimeter to check for continuity between the SCART sync pin and the console side sync pin.

Just so people know I am not blowing smoke about TTL causing damage on those devices, superg has stated multiple times in the shmups thread that TTL will cause issues and damage the switch. The framemeister has it in the owners manual. I believe the OSSC has it in the source materials if I recall correctly.

Thierry Henry
01-18-2018, 12:26 AM
But online you put out a real "I need to be the smartest guy in the room" vibe, like the kind of guy who screams out his own name during sex.

YT brings the best out of people. Gotta love them personalities.

Syn
01-18-2018, 12:59 AM
I believe the OSSC has it in the source materials if I recall correctly.

It does.

opt2not
01-18-2018, 01:34 AM
I've also never EVER asked for ANYTHING for free.
To be fair, you do have a Patreon that you ask people to pledge to. That's asking for free money, isn't it?

turdkind
01-18-2018, 01:48 AM
The easiest thing to do is open the scart head and see if there are any components on the sync line. In the pictures of the cheap cable earlier in the thread it was the yellow wire that had no components.

If there are components on that line then it's hooked up to the csync pin for sure. If it's not then you would need to use a multimeter to check for continuity between the SCART sync pin and the console side sync pin.

Just so people know I am not blowing smoke about TTL causing damage on those devices, superg has stated multiple times in the shmups thread that TTL will cause issues and damage the switch. The framemeister has it in the owners manual. I believe the OSSC has it in the source materials if I recall correctly.

Just so I'm clear, the problem is with cheap cables that have no resistors/caps and are connected to the sync pin on the console side, correct? That will output raw TTL and cause problems with/damage to gscart, OSSC, etc. More expensive cables (should) have appropriate components in the cable to attenuate the signal coming from the sync pin and provide "clean" csync. I just took my Genesis 1 cable apart and found a 220 uF cap in there; I expect the same from the Genesis 2 cable I have on the way.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to discuss RGB 101 with us; I know this is old hat to many of you and possibly a bit annoying. I thought I had this stuff straight, but hearing that the wrong cable can damage a few hundred dollars' worth of equipment has me second-guessing my setup, even though it looks fantastic and I've had no problems.

Kez
01-18-2018, 02:04 AM
Yep, that is the cable I am using. it came from RetroGameAccessories (Retro-access). There are resistors in there but you can only see one in the photos. I guess they are installed directly on to the SCART cable pins based on that one's positioning. This cable works perfectly on my Genesis 2 which is what it was designed for originally.

The sync stripping occurring on the LCD is from the Framemeister. The BVM input is direct from the gscartsw lite.

Well, there should be 75 ohm resistors on the RGB lines - connected to the raised legs of the 3 capacitors. They are not in the picture but they could be connected at the DIN end (which would be better, really). You have a green PCB in there also, which is the other point I was referring to. This is not a "standard" Genesis 2 cable, although it may work. In the past retro access sold a "boosted sync" cable that had an amp on the csync line, so that might be what it is.

MobiusStripTech
01-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Well, there should be 75 ohm resistors on the RGB lines - connected to the raised legs of the 3 capacitors. They are not in the picture but they could be connected at the DIN end (which would be better, really). You have a green PCB in there also, which is the other point I was referring to. This is not a "standard" Genesis 2 cable, although it may work. In the past retro access sold a "boosted sync" cable that had an amp on the csync line, so that might be what it is.

Correct. The issue is if the sync line has no components it is putting out pure TTL which is 5v and the device is expecting ~1.8v. Basically you want to look for a 220uf cap and a 470ohm resistor on the sync line. RetroGamingCables uses SCART head PCBs instead of connecting wires to the pins or components to pins. Nothing wrong with this approach, just slightly more expensive in manufacturing, but faster to produce.

The "boosted" sync was an issue because both Retro-Access and RetroGamingCables were for a time using THS7314 chips to "boost" the sync signal. This was actually causing the voltage to increase. Both manufacturers stopped selling those types of cables more than a year ago. So you would have to have an older cable from either of them to potentially have that issue.

Also, ask questions. It's better to ask than to just assume and hope you were right.

Kez
01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Also, ask questions. It's better to ask than to just assume and hope you were right.

I'm just going by the pictures of the cable that Eatitup posted a couple pages back, definitely looks like one of those old boosted sync cables to me.

MobiusStripTech
01-18-2018, 05:05 PM
That's fine I was pointing that comment to him anyways.

MobiusStripTech
01-18-2018, 05:11 PM
I just looked at that board and it might be the buffered sync. The number of pins on the chip match up to the buffered ones. Technically those are fine for the Genesis but I have no idea how they would react in this case.

The buffered sync cables use a logic buffer on the sync line whereas the boosted sync boards used video amplifiers like the ths7314.

Either way I would try a cable without the buffer and see if it makes a difference.

TuSecsy
01-18-2018, 05:25 PM
To be fair, you do have a Patreon that you ask people to pledge to. That's asking for free money, isn't it?

He also gives away items he gets for free via begging to said Patreon. All while riding around on his alcohol-fueled high-horse. Why anyone would give him money for his garbage videos is beyond me. Maybe if he were doing videos on how to become morbidly obese in NYC. That is quite impressive.

opt2not
01-18-2018, 05:56 PM
He also gives away items he gets for free via begging to said Patreon. All while riding around on his alcohol-fueled high-horse. Why anyone would give him money for his garbage videos is beyond me. Maybe if he were doing videos on how to become morbidly obese in NYC. That is quite impressive.
You two faced bitch. You were talking mad shit on shmups on how garbage this place is (https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61381&p=1296750#p1296750), yet you are here trying your tirade on Bob. Funny I don't see you throwing stones at neosd as much as you're doing on shmups. You fucking pussy.

FWIW I was pointing out that was the one thing he does asks for free. So "never" is inaccurate.
I like Bob and his videos. Low-budget, yes. Alcohol-fueled, fuck yes. High-horse? No. Bob's pretty humble, more than I can say for a shit stain like you.

jamon1567
01-18-2018, 07:39 PM
OH SHIT

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/Shots+Fired13.jpg

TuSecsy
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
You two faced bitch. You were talking mad shit on shmups on how garbage this place is (https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61381&p=1296750#p1296750), yet you are here trying your tirade on Bob. Funny I don't see you throwing stones at neosd as much as you're doing on shmups. You fucking pussy.

FWIW I was pointing out that was the one thing he does asks for free. So "never" is inaccurate.
I like Bob and his videos. Low-budget, yes. Alcohol-fueled, fuck yes. High-horse? No. Bob's pretty humble, more than I can say for a shit stain like you.

Well I didn't think badmouthing the site I'm currently on would be such a great idea?

"Bob is humble" is definitely the laugh of the day though, so thanks for that. The fact that you're such a Bob dick suck is definitely not surprising.

ChuChu Flamingo
01-18-2018, 08:11 PM

On my Gscart lite I am using CSYNC with SNES/Sega Saturn Model 2. You really just need to make sure the CSYNC is properly attenuated with the right resistor (470 ohm resistor and 220uF caps for Sega Saturn model 2 and 330 ohm resistor for NA SNES / JPN SFC iirc). Just make sure to double check on retrorgbs site to see what is needed.

As long as the CSYNC is properly attenuated with the correct resistor (which varies depending upon the console and sometimes even revision) you will be fine.

But yeah like you said you want to make sure your scart cable has the proper resistor/capacitors or even what type of sync it is using (luma/csync/composite video) then you will need to open it up and look at some diagrams. Very easy to test if you have the proper resistor with a multimeter. It is kind of a pain in the ass for SNES/N64 connectors since getting a probe in there is quite difficult.

In any case here is a video from RetroRGB on how to do it. Pretty easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sE3uk5kPU

opt2not
01-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Well I didn't think badmouthing the site I'm currently on would be such a great idea?

"Bob is humble" is definitely the laugh of the day though, so thanks for that. The fact that you're such a Bob dick suck is definitely not surprising.
And now you’re pulling out that homo shit, the exact thing you were crying about on the shmups forum. Keep trying hard son.

Rot
01-19-2018, 02:41 AM
HEY lads... Here's something to think about....

We have some of the best tech fella's on the netz... they all believe in helping our community... so, this RGB cable thing will eventually be resolved...

This is why Neosd and his team like it here... we will help out if humanly possible...

Concerning, The Schmups thing... it's System11's website... and he's a nice site owner...

Inter forum spats are so 80's... fun tho they maybe... SO... what I'm trying to say is...

Let's focus on our website and our userbase... The tech lads will solve it and our userbase gets the benefits...

xROTx

PS. I've been known to funster... but when all is said and done... my MAIN priority is to the site and the community here...

With the exception of a few idiots of course... everyone gets looked after...

Rot
01-19-2018, 04:02 AM

I'm reading up Scmhups now... Mmhh... Seems you don't like the atmosphere at NG.com very much...

I appreciate NG.com aint everyones cup of tea... BUT if you're gonna bad mouth us... it may lead to a "strained" relationship...

I've also been reading that NG.com isn't the best place for Terraonion...

That's a decision for Neosd and his team... atm... he gets the benefits of our forum concerning...

1. Bandwidth...
2. Forum Space...
3. Customer tech support...

HOWEVER... if Alex and his team want to create their own dedicated web... that's also fine... I will simply just move the threads back to their relevant forums and delete this one...

Aint no biggie to me...

xROTx

PS. Concerning the mod'ding of this website... It is the way it is...

EDIT. If you wish new mods... then make a poll... see how it goes...
RE-EDIT. If you wish a mod removed... then make a poll... pretty sure there will be only one name on the poll for removal currently :)

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
I'm reading up Scmhups now... Mmhh... Seems you don't like the atmosphere at NG.com very much...

I appreciate NG.com aint everyones cup of tea... BUT if you're gonna bad mouth us... it may lead to a "strained" relationship...

I've also been reading that NG.com isn't the best place for Terraonion...

That's a decision for Neosd and his team... atm... he gets the benefits of our forum concerning...

1. Bandwidth...
2. Forum Space...
3. Customer tech support...

HOWEVER... if Alex and his team want to create their own dedicated web... that's also fine... I will simply just move the threads back to their relevant forums and delete this one...

Aint no biggie to me...

xROTx

PS. Concerning the mod'ding of this website... It is the way it is...

EDIT. If you wish new mods... then make a poll... see how it goes...
RE-EDIT. If you wish a mod removed... then make a poll... pretty sure there will be only one name on the poll for removal currently :)

Dealing with all this would give me heartburn - thanks for dealing with all of it.

Sidenote: All of this just leaves the worst taste in my mouth. The "scene" is shit now. Total shit. Everyone expects everything and they want it for nothing. This HAS to be the influx of the next generation of nerds getting into all this. Millennials? I don't know, I'm 40...how old are all the little bitches bitching about getting something that in my brain is literally magic?

I have a Jp21 pin RGB cable I bought for my Megadrive 2 years ago. Anxious to test it out when my system comes. But jesus...all this cry-baby bitching is so annoying. When dealing with indie projects like this, early adopters ARE the testing a lot of times. Goddammnnnn so annoying.

They all have zero gratitude.

greatfunky
01-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Dealing with all this would give me heartburn - thanks for dealing with all of it.

Sidenote: All of this just leaves the worst taste in my mouth. The "scene" is shit now. Total shit. Everyone expects everything and they want it for nothing. This HAS to be the influx of the next generation of nerds getting into all this. Millennials? I don't know, I'm 40...how old are all the little bitches bitching about getting something that in my brain is literally magic?

I have a Jp21 pin RGB cable I bought for my Megadrive 2 years ago. Anxious to test it out when my system comes. But jesus...all this cry-baby bitching is so annoying. When dealing with indie projects like this, early adopters ARE the testing a lot of times. Goddammnnnn so annoying.

Same age and same opinion here
https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Wow-good-job-clap-clap-clap-GIF.gif

RAZO
01-19-2018, 11:39 AM

I agree PJ. I guess it's a age thing. Not saying I don't want to see people happy and get this cable thing resolved but it seems like these new gamers now in days have a heart attack when things go wrong and someone can't get it resolved in one day.

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 11:49 AM
I agree PJ. I guess it's a age thing. Not saying I don't want to see people happy and get this cable thing resolved but it seems like these new gamers now in days have a heart attack when things go wrong and someone can't get it resolved in one day.

It's like nobody knows the perils of early-adopting. So painfully annoying.

Jibbajaba
01-19-2018, 12:39 PM
I agree. I hate it when kids bitch about the price of Everdrives, for instance. When I was a lad, I would have poured gasoline on my little sister and lit her on fire if it meant that I had a cartridge with fucking EVERY NES GAME EVER MADE on it. Same goes for this deal. I'm sorry that it isn't perfect in every single way, but have you tried collecting TG16/PCE games instead? :eyeroll:

RevQuixo
01-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Well to play devil's advocate here..not getting the output right is a pretty big faux pas. One that could have probably been avoided with a few more beta, proto testers.

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Well to play devil's advocate here..not getting the output right is a pretty big faux pas. One that could have probably been avoided with a few more beta, proto testers.

Again...EARLY ADOPTERS are the people who risk such things. There is no devil's advocate. The ONLY example that would warrant a bitchy response to Terraonion is if they:

A.) took money and ran
B.) delivered a product that didn't function [minutiae regarding RGB output doesn't count]
C.) delayed release for a year+
D.) Proven they don't care about fixing problems with previous products

I could go on...

edit: I agree with you btw, I just don't agree with the squeaky wheel bitches. I think it was indeed an error...but one I have zero worries about them figuring out given their track record so far, combined with the uncharted territory they are literally creating with such a device.

Point being, details like we are seeing now in terms of the problems people are having are being way blown out of proportion with ZERO consideration of all the factors involved. This is essentially homebrew hardware and to expect Terraonion to have the resources of a large company is laughable.

turdkind
01-19-2018, 01:22 PM

You're going to spoil everyone's bitching about "kids these days".

I'm 41, and some of you sound positively geriatric.

People don't need to be flipping out over this like some are, that's for sure. Nerd rage over a first rev product is absurd. But it didn't help that those who understood why the details matter and were trying to help make sure these problems didn't make it into the shipping product were told to shut up and stop obsessing over stupid things like cables. If the RGB quality issues require a hardware revision to fix, how much more will that cost NeoSD than a bit more QA and (constructive) criticism up front?

[insert typical disclaimer that I love the product and NeoSD and my SSDS3 is on the way and I'm excited and no need to get shitty about it yada yada]

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 01:30 PM
[insert typical disclaimer that I love the product and NeoSD and my SSDS3 is on the way and I'm excited and no need to get shitty about it yada yada]

hahaha

I will still shake my cane and yell at all these little bitchy-ass nerds though.

RevQuixo
01-19-2018, 01:43 PM
hahaha

I will still shake my cane and yell at all these little bitchy-ass nerds though.

Dude...you are one of those bitchy ass nerds. The pendulum swings both ways.

Rot
01-19-2018, 01:52 PM
WELL... the good thing is...

Alex and the forum have come to an understanding...

In the future they will have their own forum/website/facebook page... HOWEVER, they will remain on NG.com... under the same rules as I have always stated....

This will give some of the more pussy members and Generation Facebook a "safe space" away from NG.com...

xROTx

PS. I will mod this place... someone else will have to mod Alex's new place.... Good luck to the fellow :D

EDIT. As always... Love...

Rot Phung Te...

RAZO
01-19-2018, 02:09 PM
WELL... the good thing is...

Alex and the forum have come to an understanding...

In the future they will have their own forum/website/facebook page... HOWEVER, they will remain on NG.com... under the same rules as I have always stated....

This will give some of the more pussy members and Generation Facebook a "safe space" away from NG.com...

xROTx

PS. I will mod this place... someone else will have to mod Alex's new place.... Good luck to the fellow :D

EDIT. As always... Love...

Rot Phung Te...

"Safe Space" , I cringe every time I hear that word.

Yodd
01-19-2018, 02:10 PM

I laugh. :keke:

Rot
01-19-2018, 02:20 PM

TELL me about it...

Over the past few days... i have seen the extent of the pussy generation... it's sorta embarrasing...

So... Neosd is a nice man... he's gonna make a non-NG.com place for your these guys Vagina needs...

All in all... i suspect I know what will eventually happen in this "Safe Space" but I am gonna keep it a surprise... for the new guy in charge:D

xROTx

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Dude...you are one of those bitchy ass nerds. The pendulum swings both ways.

Touche. You have bested me, sir. But I'm a different kind of nerd that rarely bitches imo.

RAZO
01-19-2018, 02:43 PM
TELL me about it...

Over the past few days... i have seen the extent of the pussy generation... it's sorta embarrasing...

So... Neosd is a nice man... he's gonna make a non-NG.com place for your these guys Vagina needs...

All in all... i suspect I know what will eventually happen in this "Safe Space" but I am gonna keep it a surprise... for the new guy in charge:D

xROTx

That's Cool.

This might be a little off topic but I just don't understand why people outside the regulars dislike this place. I know sometimes we could be a little rough but we are all adults here, not little children. Probably most here are past their 30's and just want to blow off some steam, enjoy the hobby, and have a little fun. Are we suppose to just let people ask dumb shit a million times or allow them to not follow the rules and just be polite about everything? That's how other Social Media places want it, not here.

My advice to these angry nerds is put the controller down and make your self a hard drink, put on some Johhny Cash, slowly sip your drink and just sit there and listen.

turdkind
01-19-2018, 02:55 PM
This might be a little off topic but I just don't understand why people outside the regulars dislike this place. I know sometimes we could be a little rough but we are all adults here, not little children. Probably most here are past their 30's and just want to blow off some steam, enjoy the hobby, and have a little fun. Are we suppose to just let people ask dumb shit a million times or allow them to not follow the rules and just be polite about everything? That's how other Social Media places want it, not here.

I think it's partly because the "rules" here make it look like there are no rules, and then when new members (or returning members) feed old members the same shit they're being fed, they get banned. You can't call people "fagits" out of one side of your mouth, insist that they chill with the other side, then act surprised when they act out.

This place also has some Trump-type wannabe alphas who talk all tough but are the first to act butthurt when things start getting nasty. It's also kind of like a street gang where you have to accept beatings from senior members without retaliating in order to gain some street cred.

The funny part for me is that one of the reasons I came back is because the forums I've been frequenting have felt a little too civil/safe and I had fond memories of how this place was run. I can give as good as I get and don't mind the vibe here, but there's some hypocrisy in how this place handles certain things. Either let everyone shit on each other and expect them to take it like a man regardless of status or provide some basic rules/boundaries that are better documented than gang code.

Rot
01-19-2018, 03:01 PM
I think it's partly because the "rules" here make it look like there are no rules, and then when new members (or returning members) feed old members the same shit they're being fed, they get banned. You can't call people "fagits" out of one side of your mouth, insist that they chill with the other side, then act surprised when they act out.

This place also has some Trump-type wannabe alphas who talk all tough but are the first to act butthurt when things start getting nasty. It's also kind of like a street gang where you have to accept beatings from senior members without retaliating in order to gain some street cred.

The funny part for me is that one of the reasons I came back is because the forums I've been frequenting have felt a little too civil/safe and I had fond memories of how this place was run. I can give as good as I get and don't mind the vibe here, but there's some hypocrisy in how this place handles certain things. Either let everyone shit on each other and expect them to take it like a man regardless of status or provide some basic rules/boundaries that are better documented than gang code.

There is no "Gang Code"... there is only ONE code when it concerns NG.com... it is...

Rot gets bored... EASILY... and if you push your fuckin' luck... he'll decide you are expendable...

xROTx

PS. Ask Friend Of Sonic... I had been aware of his dumbness for a while... I just needed an in...

...and it ends badly...

RAZO
01-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Yea, I understand what your saying but let's take us for example. We got into a few dumb scraps, had some fun with it, and it's whatever now. We all talk shit to each other and don't get scared away. It's really not a bad place if you could take a few verbal punches. I think it makes this place Unique and Fun. We have New Members here who were able to take it and dish it back and they are getting along fine over here. I don't think it matters how long you've been here. If you say something that someone doesn't agree with, they are going to let you know and it's probably not going to be in the nicest way either which is a beautiful thing.

TuSecsy
01-19-2018, 03:32 PM
HEY lads... Here's something to think about....

We have some of the best tech fella's on the netz... they all believe in helping our community... so, this RGB cable thing will eventually be resolved...

This is why Neosd and his team like it here... we will help out if humanly possible...

Concerning, The Schmups thing... it's System11's website... and he's a nice site owner...

Inter forum spats are so 80's... fun tho they maybe... SO... what I'm trying to say is...

Let's focus on our website and our userbase... The tech lads will solve it and our userbase gets the benefits...

xROTx

PS. I've been known to funster... but when all is said and done... my MAIN priority is to the site and the community here...

With the exception of a few idiots of course... everyone gets looked after...

No worries, keep doin your thing. I actually like it here, internet has become far too safe space for sure.

The NeoSD team thing came off as a little harsh but I was just pacing and leading them (persuasion technique). 3 days ago they laughed it off as a cable problem, now they're consulting voultar & co. like they should've a month ago. Lots of people got pissed off along the way, shucks!

I just want to order an SSD3 that's the final solution, not some half-step like it as atm. So once they fix their hardware I'm all over it. Seems they finally got the message.

RevQuixo
01-19-2018, 03:36 PM
No worries, keep doin your thing. I actually like it here, internet has become far too safe space for sure.

The NeoSD team thing came off as a little harsh but I was just pacing and leading them (persuasion technique). 3 days ago they laughed it off as a cable problem, now they're consulting voultar & co. like they should've a month ago. Lots of people got pissed off along the way, shucks!

I just want to order an SSD3 that's the final solution, not some half-step like it as atm. So once they fix their hardware I'm all over it. Seems they finally got the message.

Yeah you're a fucking hero. Please go away.

opt2not
01-19-2018, 03:38 PM

You're one of the pussies we're talking about dumbass.

turdkind
01-19-2018, 03:42 PM
There is no "Gang Code"... there is only ONE code when it concerns NG.com... it is...

Rot gets bored... EASILY... and if you push your fuckin' luck... he'll decide you are expendable...

Sounds arbitrary, but I'm not going to debate the topic because we both know where that will end up.

Yea, I understand what your saying but let's take us for example. We got into a few dumb scraps, had some fun with it, and it's whatever now. We all talk shit to each other and don't get scared away. It's really not a bad place if you could take a few verbal punches. I think it makes this place Unique and Fun. We have New Members here who were able to take it and dish it back and they are getting along fine over here. I don't think it matters how long you've been here. If you say something that someone doesn't agree with, they are going to let you know and it's probably not going to be in the nicest way either which is a beautiful thing.

Fair enough, but in the context of a discussion about a new product where the forum is playing host to that product's maker, this type of interaction is detrimental both to the forum and the manufacturer. Getting into it over games or politics is fine, but when a discussion about RGB cables goes off the rails and a vendor has to reevaluate their participation here, we all lose.

ChuChu Flamingo
01-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Getting into it over games or politics is fine, but when a discussion about RGB cables goes off the rails and a vendor has to reevaluate their participation here, we all lose.

they just can't handle the unstable voltages.

Rot
01-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Sounds arbitrary, but I'm not going to debate the topic because we both know where that will end up.

Pretty much...

Fair enough, but in the context of a discussion about a new product where the forum is playing host to that product's maker, this type of interaction is detrimental both to the forum and the manufacturer. Getting into it over games or politics is fine, but when a discussion about RGB cables goes off the rails and a vendor has to reevaluate their participation here, we all lose.

That's why neosd and I talk.. you fucks play... do what the fuck you like...

But as soon as it get's serious... it's "but but... it's not my fault"...

Yes it was your fuckin' fault... nerds who like you and the "generation complain at will"... are what makes developers not choose forums...

Instead of looking at the big picture... you wanna focus on your petty RGB shit... and not give the terraonion team a chance to resolve it...

YOU have been at the forefront of the complaining here... and hence... YOU are the one that will get it in the neck...

I have done my utmost to protect Neosd from the forums ways but no more...

He will still play here even after the new place is created... which means... i will get free reign to deal with you guys the good old NG.com way...

xROTx

turdkind
01-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Pretty much...

That's why neosd and I talk.. you fucks play... do what the fuck you like...

But as soon as it get's serious... it's "but but... it's not my fault"...

Yes it was your fuckin' fault... nerds who like you and the "generation complain at will"... are what makes developers not choose forums...

Instead of looking at the big picture... you wanna focus on your petty RGB shit... and not give the terraonion team a chance to resolve it...

YOU have been at the forefront of the complaining here... and hence... YOU are the one that will get it in the neck...

I have done my utmost to protect Neosd from the forums ways but no more...

He will still play here even after the new place is created... which means... i will get free reign to deal with you guys the good old NG.com way...

xROTx

Please point me toward the post(s) where I complained about NeoSD or their products.

Observation and constructive criticism meant to help improve the product and increase its chances of success aren't complaints and aren't bad, except to hypersensitive types who shouldn't be in business in the first place. There's nothing petty about getting potential issues out in the open and resolving them before they become an expensive mistake.

And don't lump me in with the others who are flipping out. That's horseshit.

Rot
01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Please point me toward the post(s) where I complained about NeoSD or their products.

Observation and constructive criticism meant to help improve the product and increase its chances of success aren't complaints and aren't bad, except to hypersensitive types who shouldn't be in business in the first place. There's nothing petty about getting potential issues out in the open and resolving them before they become an expensive mistake.

And don't lump me in with the others who are flipping out. That's horseshit.

... You post with the disguise of "constructive ciristiscm".... but in reality... it's you complaining...

Blah de blah... "should've road tested more"... blah de blah... "Don't come to Ng.com... it's Bad"...

YOU are the sort of guy that would happily sell you life insurance... knowing you don't need it and then bitch about it afterwards... saying the industry is fucked...

Fuckin' hypocrite...

SavagePencil
01-19-2018, 04:20 PM
From the shmups discussion, they're talking with Voultar about how to get csync cables working and will also be looking into why video signal is bleeding into the audio. It sounds like there is a path forward, but it may require some surgery for the early adopters.

pixeljunkie
01-19-2018, 04:26 PM
From the shmups discussion, they're talking with Voultar about how to get csync cables working and will also be looking into why video signal is bleeding into the audio. It sounds like there is a path forward, but it may require some surgery for the early adopters.

That's awesome.

Rot
01-19-2018, 04:37 PM
thirdkind has sadly been indisposed.... for the forseeable future...

NEVER say i didn't give him a chance... but as SOON as you enter chat and start breaking my balls... you might as well consider your long term prospects around here...

xROTx

Westcb
01-19-2018, 07:37 PM
If this helps here is what’s inside of this cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSK2LHM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_PNPyAbK3408TE
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/69091cc95984c5a243856d127033fdb7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/c6a76095c9359736f2baf252899e4a5a.jpg
And here is what’s inside of this cable
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/mega-drive-2/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/a7a585081660b7d1e30256a196d8ca1d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/00481fc54a9cd2106c9a820925de0498.jpg

I got my order to go through on the third day of sales so I don’t have it yet but when it’s here I’ll test on a XRGB mini to Plasma TV and a ikegami RGB CRT. The ikegami only worked with my other RGB consoles when I used csync cables directly or when I ran it through a BNC cable with a built in sync stripper from Wookieewin.
If either of these should not be used for a technical reason let me know.

Yodd
01-19-2018, 08:06 PM
If this helps here is what’s inside of this cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSK2LHM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_PNPyAbK3408TE
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/69091cc95984c5a243856d127033fdb7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/c6a76095c9359736f2baf252899e4a5a.jpg
And here is what’s inside of this cable.

I received this same cable today and there is still noise issues.

SavagePencil
01-19-2018, 08:21 PM
I received this same cable today and there is still noise issues.

Visual noise or audio bleed noise?

Yodd
01-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Visual noise or audio bleed noise?

Take your pick. Both.

Also, I just built a well shielded and grounded heavy duty cable using composite video as sync.

Still have video noise issues.

wju2004
01-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Definitely a much cleaner looking cable, but I know there is a hefty price difference too.

Personally, if they wanted to delay orders to fix the issue, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Either way, whatever issues there are, hopefully they will be remedied in time. No regrets on ordering one, though.

wyo
01-19-2018, 09:07 PM
How's the video quality from an RGB modded PCE via the console output?

Yodd
01-19-2018, 09:16 PM
How's the video quality from an RGB modded PCE via the console output?

You mean for a regular PCE or Duo with an internal RGB amp?

It's dynamite.

SavagePencil
01-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Which model of PCE are you using, specifically?

Dumb question: did you clean the expansion port before plugging in the SSD3?

neozeed64
01-20-2018, 07:44 PM
thirdkind has sadly been indisposed.... for the forseeable future...

NEVER say i didn't give him a chance... but as SOON as you enter chat and start breaking my balls... you might as well consider your long term prospects around here...

xROTx
Wondered why I saw a banned label next to him as I caught up on this thread. Without chat logs, I will never know since I don't idle in there.Doesn't matter, in the time I have spent here, over this product. I have to say.. Rots rules are appropriate, even thou I thought they were extreme when I first started reading the related threads.One of the reasons I shyed away from forums was people who entered a thread and asked ther same stupid shit thats been asked 100 times before, wasting everyones time. No ass kissin here ( I don't think) but I'll say it again... I can't wait to get mine:drool:

neozeed64
01-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Thats what needed to be said. As a first rev buyer I will just take rgb from the console. Not an issue.

RevQuixo
01-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Wondered why I saw a banned label next to him as I caught up on this thread. Without chat logs, I will never know since I don't idle in there.Doesn't matter, in the time I have spent here, over this product. I have to say.. Rots rules are appropriate, even thou I thought they were extreme when I first started reading the related threads.One of the reasons I shyed away from forums was people who entered a thread and asked ther same stupid shit thats been asked 100 times before, wasting everyones time. No ass kissin here ( I don't think) but I'll say it again... I can't wait to get mine:drool:

And what the fuck does this have to do at all with the topic?

neozeed64
01-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Thats what needed to be said. As a first rev buyer I will just take rgb from the console. Not an issue.
refering to yodd building a proper cable

neozeed64
01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
And what the fuck does this have to do at all with the topic?
Your right. I'll help when I get mine if its still not resolved. Too much kentucky bourbon and doin nothin onn a saturday night

Syn
01-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Your right. I'll help when I get mine if its still not resolved. Too much kentucky bourbon and doin nothin onn a saturday night

That's exactly why we have the warroom. ;)

Yodd
01-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Further analysis:

Tested composite video (non RGB) with stereo audio:

Audio seems similar with the buzzing. Much of the buzzing seems to coincide with access to the SD card. During SD card access I hear an increase in background audio noise.

Composite video sadly seems to have the same kind of interference in that I am seeing in RGB mode. Obviously whatever is affecting RGB output is also affecting regular composite video.

I plugged my RGB modded white PCE into the SSDS3 for some more testing.

Comparing it's internal RGB amp to the SSDS3 shows quite a big difference. The internal amp had none of the wavy noise nor the diagonal interference.

Here is a quick video capture of the RGB output between the SSDS3 and an internal RGB amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmb2JPiu7e4

My thoughts: The RGB amp has good sharpness and color rendition. It's however let down by substantial noise in the video.

RevQuixo
01-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Going full screen with the video you can clearly see the diagonal video noise. It's even on the menu.

greatfunky
01-21-2018, 04:46 AM
Thanks Todd for your video , now i understand , the audio-video circuit is maybe parasitized by some other components in the system 3.

Well I would say: if neosd can solve it without too many difficulties : it's great , if he can't , it doesn't matter to me and it doesn't take anything away from the magic of the system 3 :)

Yodd
01-21-2018, 09:59 AM
It was also brought up over at Shmups about different power supplies.

So I have tested both my stock Core Grafx and RGB modded White PCE with both an original NEC PSU and original Genesis/Megadrive 1 PSU (which is heavier duty with more current).

Exact same results. So it doesn't appear to be a lack of power or amperage issue.

MobiusStripTech
01-21-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I am considering disabling the RGB amp inside the device and just replacing it with a different one. If I do this I will post reaults.

Milspex
01-21-2018, 05:11 PM
I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I am considering disabling the RGB amp inside the device and just replacing it with a different one. If I do this I will post reaults.

Perhaps there is some way to have the SSD3 work in conjuction with the dbgrafxbooster, like with a cable interface or something

MobiusStripTech
01-21-2018, 05:22 PM
That seems like it would a whole lot of work. Just doing a small amp replacement or even using an internal amp would be simpler.

Milspex
01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
you are right

Voultar
01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
It was also brought up over at Shmups about different power supplies.

So I have tested both my stock Core Grafx and RGB modded White PCE with both an original NEC PSU and original Genesis/Megadrive 1 PSU (which is heavier duty with more current).

Exact same results. So it doesn't appear to be a lack of power or amperage issue.

I made this post on Shmups several days ago but no response.

Can anyone confirm which pin the analog video circuit is referencing for ground?

https://i.imgur.com/2xj8wFJ.png

A21/C2 is what the video circuit should be referencing. Not the digital ground at C20. Green arrow is good, red arrow is bad.

Referencing C20/C8 could certainly cause visual distortions in the picture output as far as wavy lines and errors like that are concerned.

As long as your Super CD PCB thingy has good isolation and a reasonable layout, these noise problems aren't a result of pulling video from the expansion connector.

^ The answer to this question will probably address & answer the majority of "noise" issues.

Someone should pull out the old meter and see if all of this analog stuff is using the digital return (gnd). This could be a super easy & quick fix.

The audio circuit as well as the video circuit should reference and only reference the analog grounds.

MobiusStripTech
01-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Whenever mine finally shows up I will definitely take a look at which pin it's using. I'm hoping it will show up this week since it left Spain mid last week.

Yodd
01-21-2018, 08:36 PM
I made this post on Shmups several days ago but no response.

^ The answer to this question will probably address & answer the majority of "noise" issues.

Someone should pull out the old meter and see if all of this analog stuff is using the digital return (gnd). This could be a super easy & quick fix.

The audio circuit as well as the video circuit should reference and only reference the analog grounds.

I just buzzed out ground.

It would appear both Analog AND Digital pins are joined.

So it would appear both Digital and Analog ground are tied together.

Voultar
01-21-2018, 08:55 PM
I just buzzed out ground.

It would appear both Analog AND Digital pins are joined.

So it would appear both Digital and Analog ground are tied together.

Fix those grounds and I bet that most of those issues resolve themselves. Digital stuff is high-speed with a lot of fun pulses. It needs its own reference. Analog should never be tied to that otherwise you'll get residuals.

Super easy fix, more than likely. Just fix the grounds and I bet most of these probz resolve themselves. No biggy.

fenikso
01-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Fix those grounds and I bet that most of those issues resolve themselves. Digital stuff is high-speed with a lot of fun pulses. It needs its own reference. Analog should never be tied to that otherwise you'll get residuals.

Super easy fix, more than likely. Just fix the grounds and I bet most of these probz resolve themselves. No biggy.

Thank you for not sounding like an entitled douche in your responses. (Not sarcasm, just in case people were reading it wrong.)

Syn
01-21-2018, 11:46 PM
Voultar isn't here to stir the pot like "others" who reemerge from time to time.

Definitely trying to be constructive with his comments.

Help or educative posts as you (fenikso) mentioned are always appreciated.

neozeed64
01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
If the digital and analog circuits on the ssd3 board are all tied to one ground plane it may not be a quick fix.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 08:12 PM
I just posted my experiences in the main thread as they are not just issues with the RGB signals as everyone else has mentioned. I will need to open mine up again to look at the analog grounds, but I wonder if we could remove the analog grounds and then hook them up where needed on the device? So on the audio and video circuit directly connect the analog grounds and lift pins or cut traces to remove them from the digital grounds?

From original post:
So I finally got my unit from the day one batch today. I have to say I am disappointed. The video signal is very very bad with lots of noise and in some cases missing colors. The audio is not amplified in any way and I have to max out my speakers to be able to hear it even a little, then it has audible video and processor noise bleeding into it. The casing is nice, but it was not assembled correctly. I ended up removing the screws and reassembling it. The way it was I could not slide it onto my original pc engine. With the casing correctly assembled it does slide on but it doesn't fit straight on the unit and I do notice that it drags on the plastic as it slides on.

As for operation of the device itself, I have run into quite a few issues with the cd playback. I will make the assumption this is my rips, but they do work just fine when played from the CD. The issues I have encountered are the playback freezing completely, the wrong sound effects or music being played, the wrong cutscenes being played or skipping all together. The menu is not very intuitive and I find myself selecting the options constantly. I think it would have made more sense to have 2 be go back, 1 be select, and options be tied to start. That is just my opinion on the buttons.

For the setups I have tried, 2 different Retro-Access csync coaxially shielded genesis2 cables, a cheap genesis2 cable, generic genesis2 composite video cables, direct into my Framemeister, through a GScartsw_lite into the Framemeister, and direct into my PVM-1954Q. I have also tried this with my TurboGrafx 16. Both consoles are fully recapped with no additional RGB amps inside. Both are in perfect working order without the device. Both have had the jailbar fix applied internally.

I would love to be of any assistance in determining how to fix this. NeoSD and NeoDev, please feel free to request information from me.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Not even a minute of playing splatterhouse over RGB.

RAZO
01-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Not even a minute of playing splatterhouse over RGB.

Dude, try cleaning the contacts on the back of your pc engine. Are you using the White Pc Engine or Core Grafx?

Being alot of these pc engines are missing the back cover and exposed to a ton of crap for so many years. That might cause some issues.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 09:19 PM
https://youtu.be/IYKGBFmC0Tk

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 09:20 PM
I tested with both my white pc engine again as stated and with my turbografx16. Contacts are fine. I can plug either unit into their respective docks and have no issues.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 09:30 PM
In the video my house is practically silent and the audio is going through the SSD3, into my gscartsw_lite, into my framemeister, over HDMI into a 1500watt klipsch surround sound system. I chose to show Splatterhouse to point out that the audio issues and video issues are not just specific to CD games and to show that my rips are not the issue here.

famicommander
01-22-2018, 09:33 PM
In the video my house is practically silent and the audio is going through the SSD3, into my gscartsw_lite, into my framemeister, over HDMI into a 1500watt klipsch surround sound system. I chose to show Splatterhouse to point out that the audio issues and video issues are not just specific to CD games and to show that my rips are not the issue here.

Are you playing Splatterhouse off a HuCard or from the microSD card? Just curious.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 09:37 PM
That is through the microsd card. I have not tested the hucard slot with this device attached yet. I have also tested the composite video output of the systems while using the SSD3. With hucards, the audio is normal aside from the added buzzing but the video is also full of noise. So likely the analog and digital ground planes being connected is causing interference inside the console as well.

With the same game, I have plenty of sound with my receiver set to only -30 whereas here is is surpassing -90.

Edit:
I should note this is the exact same Rom set from my Everdrive minus the Everdrive files. It is the Smokemonster Rom pack as well.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 10:08 PM

If the TerraOnion team won't give me a hard time about making modifications to the unit to try and fix these issues, I will happily do it.

SavagePencil
01-22-2018, 10:38 PM
What model/brand/size SD card are you using?

What was it formatted as?

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 10:42 PM
What model/brand/size SD card are you using?

What was it formatted as?

Tested with a Samsung EVO 128GB SDXC and next test will be a Sandisk Ultra SDXC 32GB. Always formatted as Fat32 with 32kb cluster.

Jibbajaba
01-22-2018, 10:46 PM
For what it's worth (which isn't much), I've had problems using Samsung cards with Everdrives.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Yeah normally I stick to the SanDisk Ultra as I have never had issues with those. I went with the Samsung because they were on sale for $20 less than the SanDisk. If some of the issues are from the SD card, I will happily replace it. Based on all the things I am encountering it seems like there is more going on here.

RAZO
01-22-2018, 10:49 PM
All the craziness on the screen looks more like there is a issue with the data on the card rather than a rgb issue.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 11:01 PM
That issue is one of the things that happens when it freezes. The video shows issues with sprites not being drawn. The fact that we know analog and digital ground are tied together means that all bets are off on what issues we could encounter.

It could be related to the ad card but issues reading the sd card could be related to issues within the circuit as well. Like I said, I have multiple cards to test with. I also have standard sd, sdhc, and other brands and sizes of sdxc.

MobiusStripTech
01-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Using SanDisk Ultra 32gb SDXC FAT32 w/ 32kb clusters and Todd's files. Still having issues with sprites not being drawn and audio playing at the wrong times or not at all. Haven't hit the freezing point yet but that was hit or miss before. Did notice that black is apparently no longer a color. If a screen, such as the opening cinematic has black and has red, the red will start to overtake the black. It's not so much bleeding as it is changing the hue.

Edit: Forgot to note that with Todd's files the audio still requires me to turn the volume up to max to hear anything at all, at which point the buzzing is also present.

famicommander
01-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Do you have any HuCards to test? That would eliminate SD card issues as the root of these issues if they still show up on a HuCard.

MobiusStripTech
01-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Yes I have hucards as well. I won't be able to test that until much later today. If that will put the sd card debate to rest I will happily check it. I have now tried 2 different brands and sizes of SD cards with the latter being within the specs of the device.

RAZO
01-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Yes I have hucards as well. I won't be able to test that until much later today. If that will put the sd card debate to rest I will happily check it. I have now tried 2 different brands and sizes of SD cards with the latter being within the specs of the device.

I know I'm reaching here but what device are you using to transfer files from pc to sd card. I've had issues in the past transferring files with a shitty knock off usb sd card reader.

MobiusStripTech
01-23-2018, 08:00 AM
I have used both the Samsung microsd to SD adapter and the SD card reader built in to my laptop and a cheap usb microsd reader.

flashbackx
01-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Tested with a Samsung EVO 128GB SDXC and next test will be a Sandisk Ultra SDXC 32GB. Always formatted as Fat32 with 32kb cluster.

I am using the same Samsung card. Not having any issues with games loading.

EDIT: Mine is formatted to exFAT but doubtful that would be the issue.

RevQuixo
01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
I have used both the Samsung microsd to SD adapter and the SD card reader built in to my laptop and a cheap usb microsd reader.

Since you said you were having shell issues, is it worth taking it out of the shell and inserting the pcb directly into your PCEs? Maybe something isn't seated right. Kinda grasping at straws.

MobiusStripTech
01-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Since you said you were having shell issues, is it worth taking it out of the shell and inserting the pcb directly into your PCEs? Maybe something isn't seated right. Kinda grasping at straws.

It's definitely something I could do. Since I have the same video issues from the console as long as the SSD3 is plugged in, I am still pretty confident the issue is in the SSD3 itself. I am hoping the TerraOnion guys will check in here at some point. I think it would be beneficial to try Voultar's suggestion of separating the Analog and Digital ground signals to see if it cleans up the signal issues and maybe even some of the other issues.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issue with the audio being ridiculously quiet? As shown in the video I posted, it's barely audible when maxed out.

[OCEAN]
01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Those issues sound really strange. I've been using mine over the weekend and haven't found a problem yet playing any Hu-Card ROM or CD Image, except for a random softboot playing Star Parodier on stage 3... which was probably caused by having the in-game menu enabled. Still have to try it again with the option disabled. Very happy with it so far.

GohanX
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM
I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issue with the audio being ridiculously quiet? As shown in the video I posted, it's barely audible when maxed out.

I haven't tried mine yet, but that sounds like the audio is coming from the pins but aren't amped to proper line levels. My composite modded TG16 does the same. The audio is fine, but I have to turn up the receiver much higher and if the receiver can't crank it high enough you get distortion since you're at the amp's maximum output.

I've got a briefcase connected right now, I'll test a game with it then switch to the SD3 to see if the volume levels on mine are different.

MobiusStripTech
01-23-2018, 10:30 AM
I haven't tried mine yet, but that sounds like the audio is coming from the pins but aren't amped to proper line levels. My composite modded TG16 does the same. The audio is fine, but I have to turn up the receiver much higher and if the receiver can't crank it high enough you get distortion since you're at the amp's maximum output.

I've got a briefcase connected right now, I'll test a game with it then switch to the SD3 to see if the volume levels on mine are different.

Yeah I agree that it's likely not amped correctly. If I play a HuCard rom and plug into the system audio it's normal. As soon as I go back to the SSD3 I have to crank the volume.

;4268232']Those issues sound really strange. I've been using mine over the weekend and haven't found a problem yet playing any Hu-Card ROM or CD Image, except for a random softboot playing Star Parodier on stage 3... which was probably caused by having the in-game menu enabled. Still have to try it again with the option disabled. Very happy with it so far.

I have been able to consistently recreate my issues, so I definitely wish my experience was the same as yours. It's interesting to see how different the results have been. At this point I am going to continue to use Todd's files since he also isn't having all of my issues, but some of them at least. That way we have some baseline to go off of.

MobiusStripTech
01-23-2018, 01:10 PM
One of the members of the TerraOnion team posted to facebook that they are aware of the video noise issues and hope to have a fix by the weekend.

GohanX
01-23-2018, 05:57 PM
I just hooked by SD3 and played a few games. I'm running it on a SD Wega set using HD Retrovision component cables.

First of all, the sound comparison. Audio from the SD3 is actually slightly louder than the same audio played through my IFUs audio out. It sounds good. I heard no hum or distortion.

The HD Retrovision cable works great with it. Setting the brightness switch to low is the correct position for this. I do see some noise in darker solid colors, it's pretty minor but it is there. If we get this fixed then it will look better than my RGB mod going through my converter.

Actual use is rad as fuck. Neosd said that loading is reduced, but in the games I tried it was pretty much gone altogether, like you were playing a hucard. CD audio starts with no seek delay at the start of stages which is a huge improvement over real hardware.

RAZO
01-23-2018, 06:05 PM
I just hooked by SD3 and played a few games. I'm running it on a SD Wega set using HD Retrovision component cables.

First of all, the sound comparison. Audio from the SD3 is actually slightly louder than the same audio played through my IFUs audio out. It sounds good. I heard no hum or distortion.

The HD Retrovision cable works great with it. Setting the brightness switch to low is the correct position for this. I do see some noise in darker solid colors, it's pretty minor but it is there. If we get this fixed then it will look better than my RGB mod going through my converter.

Actual use is rad as fuck. Neosd said that loading is reduced, but in the games I tried it was pretty much gone altogether, like you were playing a hucard. CD audio starts with no seek delay at the start of stages which is a huge improvement over real hardware.

This is good to hear. Have my Retrovision cables stored away. Might Need to dust them off and hook this up to the big screen.

Syn
01-23-2018, 06:25 PM
This is good to hear. Have my Retrovision cables stored away. Might Need to dust them off and hook this up to the big screen.

+1

On the HD Retro cable mailing list;)

Hopefully there'll be enough interest to make more sooner than later.

fenikso
01-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Buying the Retrovision cables is starting to be one of my better ideas in recent memory.

mjs0686
03-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Just ordered one of these since I was so impressed with the neosd.

Question about power. I'm running out of power outlets and room. What's the voltage and amp requirements? Couldn't find this on the site.

Trying to see if I can power both one of these and a Core Graphx I with a single power supply that outputs 9v and a max of 3 amps.

Also what size power plug does it take?

MobiusStripTech
03-10-2018, 11:50 AM
It uses the system power. Just use the normal power adapter and you are fine. No additional plugs are needed.

mjs0686
03-10-2018, 11:51 AM
It uses the system power. Just use the normal power adapter and you are fine. No additional plugs are needed.

Oh, no wonder I couldn't find any info. That's great, thanks!

GohanX
03-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Yeah the original psu is less than an amp, a 3a is overkill and would be just fine.

greedostick
03-17-2018, 02:16 PM
N00B Question:

My SD System 3 is stuck on Dracula X. I tried the Run+Select to back out, but that just brings up the CD System menu and immediately boots Dracula X. Even after power off. I think I must have set one of the options on accident to boot into last game played.

Just want to know if there's a way to boot into the super system menu or quit drac x and get back into the menu so I can fix the menu settings. I know I can put the SD back in my PC and delete the "last" file, but i'd rather not do all that if there's a simple button combination to press.

Also, will a Sega Trio PSU work for model 1 genny, model 2 cd, 33x?

neodev
03-17-2018, 02:33 PM
N00B Question:

My SD System 3 is stuck on Dracula X. I tried the Run+Select to back out, but that just brings up the CD System menu and immediately boots Dracula X. Even after power off. I think I must have set one of the options on accident to boot into last game played.

Just want to know if there's a way to boot into the super system menu or quit drac x and get back into the menu so I can fix the menu settings. I know I can put the SD back in my PC and delete the "last" file, but i'd rather not do all that if there's a simple button combination to press.

Also, will a Sega Trio PSU work for model 1 genny, model 2 cd, 33x?

Hold Run (onlu Run, not select) while powering your pcengine on. That will load the menu instead of the last game, and works regardless of the in game trigger option.

greedostick
03-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Hold Run (onlu Run, not select) while powering your pcengine on. That will load the menu instead of the last game, and works regardless of the in game trigger option.

Great! Thanks!

Yodd
03-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Great! Thanks!

If someone had watched my review they would have known about this...

greedostick
03-17-2018, 03:38 PM
If someone had watched my review they would have known about this...

I actually watched it right before setting mine up. Must have missed that part.

GohanX
03-17-2018, 06:03 PM
The Trio adapter does work, the Genesis 1/Sega CD plug is the right size for a PC Engine.

Nostromo
04-08-2018, 10:10 AM
I'm about to order a SSDS3 to use with OSSC v.1.6. My PCE is already RGB modded. Is there a way on SSDS3 + OSSC setup to use RGB directly from the console but audio from the SSDS3?

SavagePencil
04-08-2018, 11:04 AM
No solution short of kludging together an MD2 audio output into your SCART video.

420neogeo
04-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I just discovered after receiving my SD3 in the mail yesterday that I don't have my genesis 2 cables any more. After calling around to literally every reasonably local retro game store it seems that no one has any megadrive/genesis 2 cables that aren't aftermarket made by retrogen. I'm not quite sure that I understand everything that I've read in this thread and others about the video options of the SD3. If I just want to use composite video (yellow, red, white) can I just use some aftermarket cable (retrogen) or do I need to buy the actual OEM genesis 2 composite cable (even though it's composite not RGB)? ps. sorry for my nooby/retarded question.

Syn
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Follow packapunch on Facebook. They post there when they have stock.

Or a C-sync cable from someone else. A regular composite sync cable will buzz like hell.

MobiusStripTech
04-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Follow packapunch on Facebook. They post there when they have stock.

Or a C-sync cable from someone else. A regular composite sync cable will buzz like hell.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk

Jibbajaba
04-12-2018, 07:53 PM
I just discovered after receiving my SD3 in the mail yesterday that I don't have my genesis 2 cables any more. After calling around to literally every reasonably local retro game store it seems that no one has any megadrive/genesis 2 cables that aren't aftermarket made by retrogen. I'm not quite sure that I understand everything that I've read in this thread and others about the video options of the SD3. If I just want to use composite video (yellow, red, white) can I just use some aftermarket cable (retrogen) or do I need to buy the actual OEM genesis 2 composite cable (even though it's composite not RGB)? ps. sorry for my nooby/retarded question.

I think that if you're just doing composite, any old third-party cables will be fine.

Yodd
04-12-2018, 08:54 PM
I think that if you're just doing composite, any old third-party cables will be fine.

I can tell you from first hand experience this is not true.

The Retrobit Genesis 2 AV cable is complete shit. Audio only comes out of one channel with it. The other channel doesn’t work at all. I thought I had a bad cable but I spoke to someone else recently who bought two of them and experienced the same thing.

Avoid.