PDA

View Full Version : PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

neodev
03-27-2018, 12:16 PM
The ODE portion of it is definitely the most alluring since no other PC-Engine products currently do that. However, since the product also provides RGB output and is a premium price I think the enthusiasts with high end setups also have high expectations. It's good to hear that audio levels can be adjusted in software. A future firmware update to address that is a completely acceptable solution.

There just seems to be a lot of noise in the video signal (and maybe audio to lesser degree) that's not present in other modern RGB solutions. I realize you're very busy trying to catch up on shipping orders, but I'm hoping once you get caught up that you'll be able to look into the video more and not just assume "oh, those crazy videophiles are at it again" :P (even if it ends up being a solution I have to solder in myself).

I'm also curious if other customers who are pretty technical are having similar results to what I'm seeing with the OSSC or similar devices (devices meant to upscale to a HDTV tend to be more likely show underlying video noise than just going straight to a CRT). That would help rule out if it's potentially every unit, or just mine.

The rgb circuit is separate from the rest of the circuit. I mean, it doesn't go through the fpga, it's 'passive', so the noise you see probably comes from one of the following sources:
One, the pce itself. Pces are quite noisy inside. I have a few of them, and one is especially noisy, while other is crystal clear (coregrafx seem to be less.noisy). Probably duo are better, and also I think internal mods may have better quality because they have shorter lines to the rgb source, and they aren't packed along other signal lines.
The power supply. The fact that you are seeing more noise when running a cd then when runing a hucard might me caused bit that. The SD, fpga, mcu are all powered from the 5V line output from the internal PCE regulator, so when accessing the sd, although there are several capacitors to mitigate it, there is a short peak of power usage which might create a little noise on the signal, depending on the regulator and capacitor status. Changing the power supply has little impact as long as it has enough voltage and intensity room, because the regulator inside the pce is then the limit. Also, ssds3 draws more power than an internal mod, so if any noise is present ( all pces seem to have some degree of noise in the video signal), when using the ssds3, it will be slightly higher, and a bit more when using cd compared to an internal mod

About the audio, we can adjust and improve it. Also, the adpcm has a linear interpolator that produces a slightly muffled sound, we'll experiment with other ones or removing it entirely.

torgo100
03-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Lads Lads Lads...

Let me make this CLEAR for you...

1. GENERAL ROM TALK = OK'ish...
2. LINKING OF ROMZ = Potentially gonna upset the management...

xROTx

PS. IF you guys need links... The official chat room is nice... TOP LINK...

Thanks for clarifying Rot

elevengames
03-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Are there any plans to support .ccd/.img/.sub files without a corresponding .cue file? I’ve seen a couple of comments that it may be supported in the future with a firmware update, but I wasn’t sure if it’s still in the plans. If not, is anyone aware of any tools for macOS that let you create a .cue from a .img file?

RevQuixo
03-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Are there any plans to support .ccd/.img/.sub files without a corresponding .cue file? I’ve seen a couple of comments that it may be supported in the future with a firmware update, but I wasn’t sure if it’s still in the plans. If not, is anyone aware of any tools for macOS that let you create a .cue from a .img file?

While it would be nice, pretty much everything you could want is out there with a cue file if you know where to look.

cr4zymanz0r
03-27-2018, 01:12 PM
The rgb circuit is separate from the rest of the circuit. I mean, it doesn't go through the fpga, it's 'passive', so the noise you see probably comes from one of the following sources:
One, the pce itself. Pces are quite noisy inside. I have a few of them, and one is especially noisy, while other is crystal clear (coregrafx seem to be less.noisy). Probably duo are better, and also I think internal mods may have better quality because they have shorter lines to the rgb source, and they aren't packed along other signal lines.
The power supply. The fact that you are seeing more noise when running a cd then when runing a hucard might me caused bit that. The SD, fpga, mcu are all powered from the 5V line output from the internal PCE regulator, so when accessing the sd, although there are several capacitors to mitigate it, there is a short peak of power usage which might create a little noise on the signal, depending on the regulator and capacitor status. Changing the power supply has little impact as long as it has enough voltage and intensity room, because the regulator inside the pce is then the limit. Also, ssds3 draws more power than an internal mod, so if any noise is present ( all pces seem to have some degree of noise in the video signal), when using the ssds3, it will be slightly higher, and a bit more when using cd compared to an internal mod

About the audio, we can adjust and improve it. Also, the adpcm has a linear interpolator that produces a slightly muffled sound, we'll experiment with other ones or removing it entirely.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions I could try that you think might help? Maybe putting a newer voltage regulator in my Core Grafx with a higher rating? (like maybe a 7805 1.5A, assuming that the original might be a 1A or lower). Or what about a more modern drop in replacement like the OKI-78SR-5 switching regulator (or would a switching regulator make it worse?). I replaced all the capacitors in the Core Grafx a couple of weeks ago, though I was getting the same results with an untouched US TurboGrafx 16.

Just looking for good suggestions of things to try. I've also got a RGB amp board on the way to mod the Core Grafx to see how internal RGB compares with and without the Super SD System 3 connected. Also, just to clarify I'm seeing the additional noise in the video whether I'm running a CD or hucard game from the microSD card. The noise is greatly reduced when using a real hucard with the SSDS3 connected (but still not as clean as my Duo-R).

Let me know if I need to spin this off to a separate thread or email.

elevengames
03-27-2018, 01:22 PM
While it would be nice, pretty much everything you could want is out there with a cue file if you know where to look.
This might have just become a non-issue for me... Thank you for the tip!

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Switching regulators tend to be bad news. Most of them are poorly built and introduce more noise. This can sometimes be cleaned up with a filter cap but you are better off with a 7805S.

cr4zymanz0r
03-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Switching regulators tend to be bad news. Most of them are poorly built and introduce more noise. This can sometimes be cleaned up with a filter cap but you are better off with a 7805S.

What's the difference between a regular 7805 and a 7805S?

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 01:52 PM
The 7805S is a 2A model. It's still a linear regulator but they tend to perform better than the standard 7805. As other have said, some of your noise issues honestly might be related to the console itself so doing the basics will help. Personally I would do a recap and jailbar fix while you are in there.

cr4zymanz0r
03-27-2018, 02:10 PM
The 7805S is a 2A model. It's still a linear regulator but they tend to perform better than the standard 7805. As other have said, some of your noise issues honestly might be related to the console itself so doing the basics will help. Personally I would do a recap and jailbar fix while you are in there.

Recap and jailbar fix were already done a couple of weeks ago. Also got the same results on an untouched TG16

neodev
03-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions I could try that you think might help? Maybe putting a newer voltage regulator in my Core Grafx with a higher rating? (like maybe a 7805 1.5A, assuming that the original might be a 1A or lower). Or what about a more modern drop in replacement like the OKI-78SR-5 switching regulator (or would a switching regulator make it worse?). I replaced all the capacitors in the Core Grafx a couple of weeks ago, though I was getting the same results with an untouched US TurboGrafx 16.

Just looking for good suggestions of things to try. I've also got a RGB amp board on the way to mod the Core Grafx to see how internal RGB compares with and without the Super SD System 3 connected. Also, just to clarify I'm seeing the additional noise in the video whether I'm running a CD or hucard game from the microSD card. The noise is greatly reduced when using a real hucard with the SSDS3 connected (but still not as clean as my Duo-R).

Let me know if I need to spin this off to a separate thread or email.

Ok, then my recommendation is that you first try with the internal mod, to check if it's present there before doing any changes.

skel28
03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Alex you star you were quite correct sir.
My order from 17th January has shipped today by DHL to UK with a projected delivery date of tomorrow.
I am absolutely delighted.
Thank you.

opt2not
03-27-2018, 03:04 PM
My order from 17th January has shipped today by DHL to UK with a projected delivery date of tomorrow.
Thank you.
Sweet, I should be right behind you then, I also ordered on Jan 17th.

These days I’ve been playing my Coregrafx via composite, and I gotta say I’m impressed with the image quality for a composite signal. It’s probably the cleanest I’ve seen. Obviously RGB is better, but the comp out on this thing isn’t bad.
It shouldn’t stop people from enjoying playing the system, while “waiting for their RGB fix”. Sometimes I think these people care more about getting perfect video signals than actually enjoying the games.

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Historically the PC Engine has been known for a high quality composite video signal. Personally I look forward to finally being to play with this ODE.

neosd
03-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Thank you.

There are still some customers that purchased before 17th on the queue, those presented special circunstances so i just had to move on to ship as many as possible. The goal was to ship 50 today and i lacked of time for do calls, sending emails and so
Among UPS orders that will be shipped tomorrow.

Examples :
a customer from Canada with a postal box (i have to ask if we can ship by DHL to postal boxes)
a customer from south korea without poscode

and such things ...

legolas119
03-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Hi, I have just received the card, it is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you!!! I have some questions, can you help me please?

1) is it possible to visualize a snapshot for every game?
2) i have activated the "in Trigger menu" because in this way I can avoid to turn off the console every time I want to change a game. Do you find a lot of games with issues if this option is anabled?
3) In my BIOS folder I put 2 files: [BIOS] Games Express CD Card (Japan).pce and [BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0).pce I tried some cd games, but it seems that they don't work with [BIOS] Games Express CD Card (Japan).pce. It seems that the right bios is only [BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0).pce. Is it correct? Can I delete the other bios? Or could it be useful?

thanks

Yodd
03-27-2018, 03:28 PM
The Games Express Bios in only for Games Express software.

99% of the time, Super CD 3.0 Bios is all you need.

legolas119
03-27-2018, 03:46 PM
ah ok thanks! And can you help me with my other 2 questions?

1) is it possible to visualize a snapshot for every game? I read in the manual that with a GAmeDBmanager it is possible to create snapshot for every game...but i don't find the software and I have not understood how to create the database and where I have to put the snapshot files in the microSD...

2) i have activated the "in Trigger menu" because in this way I can avoid to turn off the console every time I want to change a game. Do you find a lot of games with issues if this option is enabled?

opt2not
03-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Historically the PC Engine has been known for a high quality composite video signal. Personally I look forward to finally being to play with this ODE.

Exactly, that's my POV too. I'm really looking forward to diving into the CD games I missed when I was a wee lad.

comp1demon
03-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Sorry,

We are not going to do any more changes to the video.

We canīt notice any issue with it anymore.

Also, after this experience we are not going to do any device more with RGB output.

I hope you understand that, Super SD System 3 video otput was NOT designed to be a high end output. It was an extra on the ODE.

Everytime i see people looking for issues on the RGB side, doing a post like yours and not writing a single word about the ODE itself, i feel we did a mistake while adding the rgb output at all.

Those guys with high end setups can use theyr pcengine video outputs as i asume they were using before.

Audio is a different story : we can adjust it by software even for indivial games and we plan to do it when neodev comes back from Semana Santa.

I would also like to state that the price of Super SD System 3 is set by the amount of hours we spent doing a 99% perfect ODE (among other things such as company expenses, taxes and fees related to the salaries, producting costs and the reduced market PCE has)

I see in your product photos you guys have a supergrafx...

I am using a Supergrafx as well when mine gets here but mine is RGB modded already. Should I undo that mod and use the SYSTEM 3 RGB or will the SYSTEM 3 work with the RGB I installed?

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 05:17 PM
I see in your product photos you guys have a supergrafx...

I am using a Supergrafx as well when mine gets here but mine is RGB modded already. Should I undo that mod and use the SYSTEM 3 RGB or will the SYSTEM 3 work with the RGB I installed?

That's up to you. Use whichever you prefer. You only need to tap the audio off of the SSD3 so you can get the audio from CD games.

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 05:18 PM
ah ok thanks! And can you help me with my other 2 questions?

1) is it possible to visualize a snapshot for every game? I read in the manual that with a GAmeDBmanager it is possible to create snapshot for every game...but i don't find the software and I have not understood how to create the database and where I have to put the snapshot files in the microSD...

2) i have activated the "in Trigger menu" because in this way I can avoid to turn off the console every time I want to change a game. Do you find a lot of games with issues if this option is enabled?

There is a link to the db creator software in the thread. That will handle the artwork. Just look for it.

Most people have the in game trigger turned off because it is buggy and not finished yet.

legolas119
03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
There is a link to the db creator software in the thread. That will handle the artwork. Just look for it.

Most people have the in game trigger turned off because it is buggy and not finished yet.
ah ok thanks. But I have to read more then 70 pages...is it available the link to the DM Manager anywhere please?

Ok, I will disable the option: so if I need to change a game, i have to turn off the console ok? It is the only safe way for now. Does it means that developers are working on an updated firmware for the flashcard?

LDigital
03-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the RGB stress, someone else mentioned that it’s almost a hobby in itself for some people and they were right, but that’s not an excuse for all the kicking off you received as it was bad

I have a Batch 1 question, I was part of the very first batch and have had no luck syncing in my bvm d24 but my 2011p it is stable and I can play through my ossc so happy days.

On the 2011p the image has dark patches running through it. I have tried a sync stripper but it does not help. I’m really confused why this would be. Nothing else behaves like this and when displayed through the ossc the colours are fine. Pretty weird

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/f3406b726e3acfb028bfe63f245c0411.jpg

Any thoughts on what that may be? Has this come up for anyone else?

I am using a standard retro gaming cables md 2 cable

Hopefully the new version will sort this out as I prefer playing on crt. Cheers

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 05:45 PM
ah ok thanks. But I have to read more then 70 pages...is it available the link to the DM Manager anywhere please?

Ok, I will disable the option: so if I need to change a game, i have to turn off the console ok? It is the only safe way for now. Does it means that developers are working on an updated firmware for the flashcard?

It's only a few pages back. I don't recall where. It was posted by either neodev or neosd. Just look at their posts.

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Sorry for the RGB stress, someone else mentioned that it’s almost a hobby in itself for some people and they were right, but that’s not an excuse for all the kicking off you received as it was bad

I have a Batch 1 question, I was part of the very first batch and have had no luck syncing in my bvm d24 but my 2011p it is stable and I can play through my ossc so happy days.

On the 2011p the image has dark patches running through it. I have tried a sync stripper but it does not help. I’m really confused why this would be. Nothing else behaves like this and when displayed through the ossc the colours are fine. Pretty weird

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/f3406b726e3acfb028bfe63f245c0411.jpg

Any thoughts on what that may be? Has this come up for anyone else?

I am using a standard retro gaming cables md 2 cable

Hopefully the new version will sort this out as I prefer playing on crt. Cheers

There is literally 0 value in diagnosing issues on the first revision board. Just wait till the new board is sent to you. If the issue continues, diagnose from there.

Hesterfu
03-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Hello! i just bought this beauty a couple of days ago... how long does it take to ship the unit? not in a hurry really, but i just want to know :)

MobiusStripTech
03-27-2018, 05:52 PM
Hello! i just bought this beauty a couple of days ago... how long does it take to ship the unit? not in a hurry really, but i just want to know :)

Sit back. Relax. It ships when it ships. Read the thread. See the updates. They are busting their butts and these questions just take away from shipping more units.

torgo100
03-27-2018, 06:39 PM
My 1st run :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5NC7eZ7Hs

narshe
03-27-2018, 09:47 PM

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/GameDbManager-3.zip

neodev
03-28-2018, 04:14 AM
http://www.neosdstore.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/GameDbManager-3.zip

Please, remember this tool is in beta stage, so report if you find any crashes or games that fail to scan.

Gamepimp
03-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Just received my shipping notification and tracking # for UPS. Order placed on the 17th of January. Better get my SD card ready to go so I can get my game on when the package arrives. :buttrock: Thanks TO!

ArcadeHacker
03-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Feb 1st 2018 order, got my shipping tracking today.

neosd
03-28-2018, 09:41 AM

There are still 9 orders from january 2018 pending cause special circunstances :

PO Boxes address insteand of regular ones and such things ... (we canīt ship to Postal Boxes with UPS or with DHL, so we need real addresses)

As soon as i get some rest (tomorrow i hope), i will contact those customers by email.

2 more weeks at the same level as this week and we are up to date with shipments (i hope).

BTW : next 2 days are national party day in Spain, so there will be no more shipments until monday.

Alex,

trenton_net
03-28-2018, 09:49 AM
There are still 9 orders from january 2018 pending cause special circunstances :

PO Boxes address insteand of regular ones and such things ... (we canīt ship to Postal Boxes with UPS or with DHL, so we need real addresses)

As soon as i get some rest (tomorrow i hope), i will contact those customers by email.

2 more weeks at the same level as this week and we are up to date with shipments (i hope).

BTW : next 2 days are national party day in Spain, so there will be no more shipments until monday.

Alex,

I think I was one of those people. (^_^); When I ordered I didn't realize that PO boxes weren't supported, so within a few days I added a comment to my order requesting an address change to my home. I guess I must be one of the few remaining (even though I already provided everything necessary a while ago.). Thanks for the updates, and sorry about the trouble!

neosd
03-28-2018, 09:56 AM
I think I was one of those people. (^_^); When I ordered I didn't realize that PO boxes weren't supported, so within a few days I added a comment to my order requesting an address change to my home. I guess I must be one of the few remaining (even though I already provided everything necessary a while ago.). Thanks for the updates, and sorry about the trouble!

Hello,

Np, you are welcome.
Its just that i canīt browse our email account with so many emails using the same subject : "[NeoSD Store] Message from a customer".
Its impossible to handle things like that.
You donīt know if this is a tech issue, if this is someone asking when theyr order will be shipped or so. Impossible to separate urgent things from low priority things. The priority now is to ship as many orders as possible in less time as possible

Could you check if you can edit your shipping address on the webshop ?

Thanks

Reality_Studio
03-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Just got my shipping notice today, my pre-order was on January 21, 2018 :)

Dan Hero
03-28-2018, 11:49 AM
My UPS notice came as well, order placed on 16/01/2018.

Thank a lot for the hard work Terraonion.

legolas119
03-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Please, remember this tool is in beta stage, so report if you find any crashes or games that fail to scan.

thanks! Now in my microSD I have these folder:

BIOS
HUCARDS
CD ROMS (and inside i put a folder for every game and in every folder there are the bin+cue files)
bup
lastpce.cfg

So now, what I have to do? I unzip the dbmanager pack, but now I don't know which are the next steps...can you help me please?

skel28
03-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Ah well now DHL have let me down, stating it will be delivered today (28th March) but showing that it's still in Spain :) What's one more day :D

Tuxosaurus
03-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Received my unit via DHL, less than 24h after I received the first email about shipping being in progress. Almost too fast, the delivery man called in when I was not home and since it's not Correos they couldn't store it at "La Poste" (French Correos equivalent). Hopefully a solution was found.
As for the product, so far so good, it's easy, fast and efficient. I'm lacking the right scart cable right now but all sounds from the base PCE are there.
Thanks!

neodev
03-28-2018, 05:11 PM
thanks! Now in my microSD I have these folder:

BIOS
HUCARDS
CD ROMS (and inside i put a folder for every game and in every folder there are the bin+cue files)
bup
lastpce.cfg

So now, what I have to do? I unzip the dbmanager pack, but now I don't know which are the next steps...can you help me please?

Just run the tool, then press scan roms and select the root of your sd card.

Neo NooNaN
03-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Just received mine today (on time from DHL in the states). Fired it up and works great! Super fast interface and the loading of the CD games + audio is lightning fast!

Couple notes...

Re: RGB - I do have a high-end setup and am picky about video quality. I'm not noticing any quality issues at all. I have not compared side-by-side to my modded RX, but it's looking great to me.

Re: audio - I am getting a slight buzzing overall and specifically hearing buzzing that mirrors the reading of the SD card, mostly around CD audio tracks. I have a new pack-a-punch cable and don't have noise in my switches to my receiver at all. It's noticeable, but not in your face bad. Is this something that NeoSD or anyone has noticed during testing?

Going to put tons of hours on this thing...thank you!

F4U57
03-29-2018, 04:57 AM
Ordered! Looking forward to this.

trenton_net
03-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Hello,

Np, you are welcome.
Its just that i canīt browse our email account with so many emails using the same subject : "[NeoSD Store] Message from a customer".
Its impossible to handle things like that.
You donīt know if this is a tech issue, if this is someone asking when theyr order will be shipped or so. Impossible to separate urgent things from low priority things. The priority now is to ship as many orders as possible in less time as possible

Could you check if you can edit your shipping address on the webshop ?

Thanks

Thanks for the kind information. I send you a PM, as well as attached another message to my order (on your webshop) in case of loss. Hopefully your able to receive these successfully to update my order with the correct shipping information!

neosd
03-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the kind information. I send you a PM, as well as attached another message to my order (on your webshop) in case of loss. Hopefully your able to receive these successfully to update my order with the correct shipping information!

Hello,

I canīt handle PMs, just emails, i got so many things on my head to handle pms, i know how this sounds but believe me, its a pain to find data in a pm the day after you read it ...

I have changed some addresses already.
Please, check if your address has been changed (you just have to log in into the webshop and check it)

Else, send an email to contact@neosdstore...

With the subjet : change address
I need the new address and the order number in order to do the changes.

Thanks

fille1976
03-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Yep,those packapunch pro cables are great,but i have the first revision,so sometimes i can see it a little bit,but once most orders are shipped,we can exchange our board for the newer boards.
I'm verry pleased with neosd's products,high quality and top service.

pixeljunkie
03-29-2018, 12:21 PM
sweet baby jesus, mine just arrived. Transferring files to SD card...hnnnggg

I already tested just to see the video out and mine is better than my RGB modded duo honestly. Amazing product.

greatfunky
03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Yes , the video is perfect on my trinitron crt with a low cost rgb cable , i really don't need to invest in another cable ...

trenton_net
03-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Hello,

I canīt handle PMs, just emails, i got so many things on my head to handle pms, i know how this sounds but believe me, its a pain to find data in a pm the day after you read it ...

I have changed some addresses already.
Please, check if your address has been changed (you just have to log in into the webshop and check it)

Else, send an email to contact@neosdstore...

With the subjet : change address
I need the new address and the order number in order to do the changes.

Thanks

Thanks for the clear instructions. Your email has been sent! Hopefully that is what you are looking for.

skel28
03-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Mine has arrived today YAY. 17th January order.

Thank you

legolas119
03-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Just run the tool, then press scan roms and select the root of your sd card.

yesss it's works! thanks! when you will release a new version of this tool, where i will can download it? I can't find the download area in the official site www.terraonion.com
Another question: i have just received my card so it means that I have the latest fw already installed, right?

thanks

Syn
03-29-2018, 09:52 PM
Mine arrived and works fantastic!

After my bank transfer mistake I really appreciated my unit being shipped and not being told go to the back of the line.

Thanks TerraOnion team!

neodev
03-29-2018, 10:35 PM
yesss it's works! thanks! when you will release a new version of this tool, where i will can download it? I can't find the download area in the official site www.terraonion.com
Another question: i have just received my card so it means that I have the latest fw already installed, right?

thanks

The web page is being redesigned. You will be able to download it from the new web.

All carts are sent with the latest firmware..v1.01

wju2004
03-30-2018, 12:02 AM
Mine arrived yesterday, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Shipping was lightning quick and actually a day faster than was quoted.

legolas119
03-30-2018, 02:21 AM
The web page is being redesigned. You will be able to download it from the new web.

many thanks

neosd
03-30-2018, 03:47 AM

As neodev says, the new website is almost done, it just needs profesional photos (i have to find time to bring devices to a profesional photographer and take those) and some small tweaks.
We have a new webshop (prestashop 1.7) already done aswel, it also needs small fixes.

Once we have both the new website and the new shop open, we will install the forum where the actual website is.
We will move all webshop data to the new server, so no one is going to loose his purchase historical data ...

Super SD System 3 shipments took all our energy, there is no time for more, sorry ...

neosd
03-30-2018, 04:23 AM
As neodev says, the new website is almost done, it just needs profesional photos (i have to find time to bring devices to a profesional photographer and take those) and some small tweaks.
We have a new webshop (prestashop 1.7) already done aswel, it also needs small fixes.

Once we have both the new website and the new shop open, we will install the forum where the actual website is.
We will move all webshop data to the new server, so no one is going to loose his purchase historical data ...

Super SD System 3 shipments took all our energy, there is no time for more, sorry ...

Finishing those small things on the website and webshop need myself working with the designer and web coder.
Sorry, i literally have no more time as today, but i should have it as soon as we are up to date with super sd system 3 shipments (in 2 weeks i hope).

There are a pile of other pending things aswel. Better i donīt think about the stuff on the todo list or i get depressed

scorpion73
03-30-2018, 05:24 AM
Finishing those small things on the website and webshop need myself working with the designer and web coder.
Sorry, i literally have no more time as today, but i should have it as soon as we are up to date with super sd system 3 shipments (in 2 weeks i hope).

There are a pile of other pending things aswel. Better i donīt think about the stuff on the todo list or i get depressed

You should be happy that you have lot of things to do, it means that things are going well and that there is work for you.
That shouldn't bring to you to depression but to enthusiasm, in this period of crisis where it is hard to find a work, also for firms that are losing clients, i think you should be happy that you have a pile of things no? :)

I am not telling you that to criticize but only to help you to change point of view and transform depression in happiness :)

RAZO
03-30-2018, 05:46 AM
You should be happy that you have lot of things to do, it means that things are going well and that there is work for you.
That shouldn't bring to you to depression but to enthusiasm, in this period of crisis where it is hard to find a work, also for firms that are losing clients, i think you should be happy that you have a pile of things no? :)

I am not telling you that to criticize but only to help you to change point of view and transform depression in happiness :)

Yes being busy is a good thing from a business stand point but it could be stressful as well. Everyone needs a day or two off from their job every once and awhile to recharge their battery. This is one of the drawbacks of being a owner of a flourishing business.

neosd
03-30-2018, 05:47 AM

i am happy with what i am doing, else i would be doing something else.

The thing is that we are in a point where we have a good amount of sales but the income isnīt enough to hire all the employees we would need.

So we decided to hire engineers instead of people for packing, validating carts, sourching chips, paper work and so.
The good thing is that we have 3 different engineering teams right now working in 3 different projects, the bad things is that i donīt have time for anything else that is not shipping pending orders. But this should change soon so i can be back at the other important things.

We should be able to grow in with the next products and allow us go bring employees to do those tasks, so i can be back at the small details and to create some things i got pending.

Resuming : we are happy but doing overwork everyday, this is an impossible to handle situation on the long term. But this is going to change, its just not the moment.
If we take the risk to hire more people now, we may run out of cash if the sales go down.
Right now we have enought cash for one more company year since today, and this is something we donīt want to risk.

EDIT : my english is terrible today, a clear sign about being tired :)

F4U57
03-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Damn, take a day off man. Take two. You’ll burn out otherwise. Everything will be there when you return.

Rot
03-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Damn, take a day off man. Take two. You’ll burn out otherwise. Everything will be there when you return.

Alex never listens... Trust me on this...

I've been telling him the same thing for like 14 months...

xROTx

PS. Alex = Stubborn as fook.... I can relate with that tbh...

Relikk
03-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Finally received mine today. Connected to my SuperGrafx and working perfectly.

Thanks TO!

kogami
03-30-2018, 09:58 AM
I finally received my 4 consoles PC Engine CoreGrafX I&II after more than 2 months of shipping from Japan ship, it came back to me at 40 € per console on average.

https://hebergeur-images.com/up/7a8a99181fdc841356b5e297b40446ed.jpg

I bought a Micro SD Card Samsung 256GB EVO PLUS 103e to Amazon and I just ordered for the PCE Super SD System 3!!!

I will put on sale the 3 remaining console to finance the PCE Super SD System 3.

Yodd
03-30-2018, 10:00 AM
The Evo memory cards have had reports of them being hit or miss with the SSDS3.

Might want to consider a Sandisk.

Jibbajaba
03-30-2018, 10:23 AM
I had a problem using an EVO with an Everdrive, as well. I only buy Sandisk now.

opt2not
03-30-2018, 11:17 AM
256 GB is overkill anyway.

skel28
03-30-2018, 11:19 AM
OK couple of questions if I may, where do I find the serial number please? OK found it.
Also all mine has on screen is "LOADING..." any suggestions? - Reseated and it goes past loading now.

Thanks sorted my issues.

kogami
03-30-2018, 11:21 AM
256 GB is overkill anyway.

I'm already 208GB of game HuCard/CR-Romē, and I still miss some CD-Romē games.

nevets14
03-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Re: audio - I am getting a slight buzzing overall and specifically hearing buzzing that mirrors the reading of the SD card, mostly around CD audio tracks. I have a new pack-a-punch cable and don't have noise in my switches to my receiver at all. It's noticeable, but not in your face bad. Is this something that NeoSD or anyone has noticed during testing?

I'm having this same issue every it reads from the SD card. The buzzing is loud enough that it can be heard in some music. For as bad as it sounds I don't see many people saying anything about it which leads me to believe mine might be defective.

Example: in Dungeon Explorer 2 in the Widow Woods area the buzzing can clearly be heard over the music.

Anyone else noticing this?

Yodd
03-30-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm having this same issue every it reads from the SD card. The buzzing is loud enough that it can be heard in some music. For as bad as it sounds I don't see many people saying anything about it which leads me to believe mine might be defective.

Example: in Dungeon Explorer 2 in the Widow Woods area the buzzing can clearly be heard over the music.

Anyone else noticing this?

What cable are you using?

nevets14
03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
What cable are you using?

Tried it with 2 different Genesis 2 cables from retro_console_accessories on ebay. I believe the first one I tried is a cable with"Boosted Sync" and the second one is without the boosted sync. Both give off the buzzing.

nevets14
03-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Also forgot to mention I'm using a TurboGrafx 16. Also tried on 2 different TG16's, same result.

RevQuixo
03-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Tried it with 2 different Genesis 2 cables from retro_console_accessories on ebay. I believe the first one I tried is a cable with"Boosted Sync" and the second one is without the boosted sync. Both give off the buzzing.

I believe the boosted sync cables have been largely discredited at this point as being out of spec. Do you have an old genesis composite cable to check to see if it buzzes?

Yodd
03-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a poorly shielded cable to me.

I mean, there might still be some very low level audio buzzing in the background, but nothing to the point where it overpowers the audio.

torgo100
03-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Man, the RGB fanatics are at peak performance on Facebook today, yet all of the people complaining don't even have one and are making their judgments from what other people have reported.

I have 0 issue with the video output on mine. I think that it looks fantastic!

nevets14
03-30-2018, 12:41 PM
I believe the boosted sync cables have been largely discredited at this point as being out of spec. Do you have an old genesis composite cable to check to see if it buzzes?

Actually, I think I do. I'll try that today and report back. Is there a recommended Gen2 RGB cable for this I should buy?

nevets14
03-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Hey Yodd what RGB cable are you using?

RevQuixo
03-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Man, the RGB fanatics are at peak performance on Facebook today, yet all of the people complaining don't even have one and are making their judgments from what other people have reported.

I have 0 issue with the video output on mine. I think that it looks fantastic!

I'm having zero issues with a Csync RGB cable through OSSC..I however am getting video noise (the same diagonal noise that happened on the Rev 1) through HD Retrovision cables. Not a huge deal to me as I am fine using RGB, but there is definitely a variety of outcomes still happening even with the rev 2 boards.

Yodd
03-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Hey Yodd what RGB cable are you using?

I built it myself.

Shielding on these cables makes a big difference. You might want to look into the Packapunch cables from Retro Game Cables in the UK.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/mega-drive-2/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-packapunch

torgo100
03-30-2018, 12:58 PM
I'm having zero issues with a Csync RGB cable through OSSC..I however am getting video noise (the same diagonal noise that happened on the Rev 1) through HD Retrovision cables. Not a huge deal to me as I am fine using RGB, but there is definitely a variety of outcomes still happening even with the rev 2 boards.

I don't have that at all through my OSSC

RevQuixo
03-30-2018, 01:04 PM
I don't have that at all through my OSSC

I'm assuming you aren't using HD Retrovision cables either.

They use sync over composite video, so while CSYNC seems to be working well for me sync over composite video does not. Either that or there is something else about the HDR cables that don't like the SSDS3. Incidently the same noise happens both with or without the OSSC.

Jibbajaba
03-30-2018, 01:57 PM
I've been using a composite video sync cable from that retro consoles accessories chick and I am not happy with what I am seeing. The lpf on the OSSC helps, but there's lots of room for improvement. I have a PACKAPUNCH (why are they yelling?) cable on its way here now.

Dochartaigh
03-30-2018, 02:28 PM
I've been using a composite video sync cable from that retro consoles accessories chick

Did you get the regular 5' long one, or the upgraded coaxial version cable? (just wondering as I have the coaxial version waiting for when my SSD3 gets here)

Reality_Studio
03-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Mine just arrived. I had pre-ordered January 21, got the shipped notification on March 28 and it arrived today March 30th, very fast! So far just been toying with it over rf connection and everything seems to work fine with my Turbografx-16, fits well and works well. I may use it tonight live on Twitch via scart cable and put it through it's paces.

nevets14
03-30-2018, 02:32 PM
I built it myself.

Shielding on these cables makes a big difference. You might want to look into the Packapunch cables from Retro Game Cables in the UK.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/mega-drive-2/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-packapunch

Neo NooNaN is using the Packapunch cable and is getting the SD card buzzing as well.

comp1demon
03-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Anyone who RGB modded their system prior to getting the SYSTEM 3? If So.. how is it working for you? Can you get RGB out the port you modded instead of using system 3 RGB?

fille1976
03-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Anyone who RGB modded their system prior to getting the SYSTEM 3? If So.. how is it working for you? Can you get RGB out the port you modded instead of using system 3 RGB?

Yep,thats working,but you don't get cd music in cd games,tryed that on my rev1 ssds3.
I have a core grafx and in the begin i tryed with rgb cable connected on the core grafx,worked fine,but no cd music.
Now i have a packapunch pro,and its working fine.

nevets14
03-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Just tried it with my gen2 composit cable. SD card buzz still there. Faulty unit?

comp1demon
03-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Wonder if there are PINS on the explanation port I could solder to and create RCA out jacks next to the RGB port so I can use the Installed RGB port instead of the System 3 RGB to get CD music?

Kid Panda
03-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Wonder if there are PINS on the explanation port I could solder to and create RCA out jacks next to the RGB port so I can use the Installed RGB port instead of the System 3 RGB to get CD music?

This seems a little out of control man. What's the big deal about using the port on the SSDS3? The whole purpose of this product is so you wouldn't have to modify a console.

Kid Panda
03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
I finally received my 4 consoles PC Engine CoreGrafX I&II after more than 2 months of shipping from Japan ship, it came back to me at 40 € per console on average.

https://hebergeur-images.com/up/7a8a99181fdc841356b5e297b40446ed.jpg

I bought a Micro SD Card Samsung 256GB EVO PLUS 103e to Amazon and I just ordered for the PCE Super SD System 3!!!

I will put on sale the 3 remaining console to finance the PCE Super SD System 3.

Oh so you're going to flip them, how quaint.

GohanX
03-30-2018, 04:03 PM
You could use use some Genesis 2 composite cables and pull there audio from there, that would closely mimick what you'd have to do on a real pic cd rig anyway. Alternatively, you could tap the audio pins on the SD3 output and and mini audio jack or RCA jacks to the SD3.

FBBTJ
03-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Hello,

Thank you so much for this great product. This is awesome !

I still have a little question : The Super SD System 3 works with the PC Engine LT, but since the CD sound is not sent back to the PC Engine, we just have the image and the "basic sound" on the console and not the CD music. Is there a solution to that or do you think you will release a version that will return the CD sound to the interface in the future ?

I doubt that this feature is not useful for the majority of PCE players, but I still ask because we are always looking for the ultimate device when we love a console.

Thank you so much, I had a great evening on my Coregrafx ;-)

SavagePencil
03-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Unmodded Supergrafx with CSYNC PackAPunch.

Video looks great. SD audio buzz ��

Neo NooNaN
03-30-2018, 10:21 PM
Unmodded Supergrafx with CSYNC PackAPunch.

Video looks great. SD audio buzz ��

Exactly the same setup for me with the same result. Supergrafx is in pristine condition and untouched. I don't get any buzz at all with a composite cable straight from the console without the SD3 connected. I believe I have another Gen2 RGB cable around and will test with that and post the results. I opened up the pack-a-punch and things look and test correct so far. Same cable with a Gen2 and it's clean without buzz.

nevets14
03-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Exactly the same setup for me with the same result. Supergrafx is in pristine condition and untouched. I don't get any buzz at all with a composite cable straight from the console without the SD3 connected. I believe I have another Gen2 RGB cable around and will test with that and post the results. I opened up the pack-a-punch and things look and test correct so far. Same cable with a Gen2 and it's clean without buzz.

I did try a gen 2 composite cable earlier and still get the SD card buzz. All three cables I tried and 2 TG consoles are produce the SD card buzz.

skel28
03-31-2018, 04:46 AM
If anyone else is finding it fiddly to get the MicroSD card out (or is it just me?) then this might help, it's MicroSD card extension cable, I got two a while back, been using one in my Sega Saturn and now using the other in my SSD3 :) Go to aliexpress dot com and search for the following item number - 32798169833. I hope this helps. Cheers

Reality_Studio
03-31-2018, 05:40 AM
Hey guys, so I just tried it with my Genesis 2 to scart cable and the image is all yellow. I assume this means my scart cable is bad? I haven't tested the cable on anything else before. The scart converter I know is good because I use that with my Genesis 1, and I know the TG-16 is good because the image looks correct with rf out.

Reality_Studio
03-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Looks like my image attachment failed, let me try again. Looks mostly yellow, with some red and green as well.49528

skel28
03-31-2018, 05:48 AM
Hey guys, so I just tried it with my Genesis 2 to scart cable and the image is all yellow. I assume this means my scart cable is bad? I haven't tested the cable on anything else before. The scart converter I know is good because I use that with my Genesis 1, and I know the TG-16 is good because the image looks correct with rf out.

Looks to me like there's no blue there, have you tried reseating the cable and the console in the SSD3 also?

AlxUnderBase
03-31-2018, 06:44 AM
Guys ... for those asking for RGB cables ... i know , it's very hard to read some pages from the past ... but , everytime will be a "but" ... If you wanna a proper RGB scart cable ... try one from RGC ( Retro gaming cables ) - PUCKAPUNCH version ! i'm using those for some console i've got until now ! So , it's very easy to find one if you are lucky on a point (because they make periodically preorders update). I know , maybe one of you consider i'm one of the seller promoter... i'm not , i'm just happy with those and they making a great job ! So , try those without any thought about the quality , because the quality of that products are top ! I wish you a great weekend all ! :)

Ps : Unmodded Corergrafx II with CSYNC PackAPunch - genesis 2 cable (Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 CABLE) on 1st SSS3 revision board !

F4U57
03-31-2018, 10:23 AM
After reading the positive reports on the Packapunch cables I went ahead and got one yesterday. Originally they were out of stock but I was told to check back later in the day and I got lucky.

xwred5
03-31-2018, 10:34 AM
If you are in the USA, it's usually 3+ weeks to get your packapunch order. I just ordered one Friday for my first AES I just picked up on Ebay (great now I need to buy a NeoSD....)

I got down the slippery slope of RGB gaming within the last year. I get all my cables as packapunch from RGC. I figure after dropping $$ on an ossc, gscartsw, super sd system 3, and various console mods, why stop at the cable? Weird stuff happens with analog signals...

Reality_Studio
03-31-2018, 12:53 PM
Looks to me like there's no blue there, have you tried reseating the cable and the console in the SSD3 also?

Good call, I removed the SSD3 and saw two pins were bent on the TG-16 side! Bent those back, reinstalled and it's all good to go now. Thank you!49533

skel28
03-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Good call, I removed the SSD3 and saw two pins were bent on the TG-16 side! Bent those back, reinstalled and it's all good to go now. Thank you!49533

Brilliant, nice one mate, well done :)

nevets14
03-31-2018, 05:21 PM

Yes, that another thing I forgot to mention. If your using a TG-16 take the SSD3 out of the shell to fit it to the console otherwise you will bend pins.

neosd
03-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Yes, that another thing I forgot to mention. If your using a TG-16 take the SSD3 out of the shell to fit it to the console otherwise you will bend pins.

I donīt think this is a good idea, you may end killing ssds3 pcb with static.

Just insert the super sd system 3 slow at first (to align it with the conector), and apply more preasure once its aligned.

nevets14
03-31-2018, 06:16 PM

Just insert the super sd system 3 slow at first (to align it with the conector), and apply more preasure once its aligned.

Tried this 3 times. It will not line up correctly with a TG-16. I just take it out of the shell and fit it to the console, then put the shell back on.

comp1demon
03-31-2018, 06:28 PM
Tried this 3 times. It will not line up correctly with a TG-16. I just take it out of the shell and fit it to the console, then put the shell back on.

We need someone to create a 3d printed shell for the TG16 and put it on thingsverse.

MobiusStripTech
03-31-2018, 06:28 PM
It definitely fits in the tg16 with the casing. I never had any issues fitting mine on there.

For all the people talking about the cables being the issue, a cable from RGC or retro access are basically going to be the same quality. They both sell shielded cables for the basic versions and the packapunch and coaxial shielded from retro access are the same things as well.

Basically if you get a cable from either of these sellers and go with the standard or the upgraded coaxial versions, you can rule out the cable being the issue.

MobiusStripTech
03-31-2018, 06:32 PM

Neosd is correct, especially considering they designed this. Everytime you take the board out of the casing you have a high risk of killing the ARM processor.

nevets14
03-31-2018, 09:56 PM

Hey neosd, Any fix for the SD card buzz? Did you guys notice the buzz in testing?

Jibbajaba
03-31-2018, 10:17 PM
It doesn't take 3 weeks to get a cable from RetroGamingCables. I ordered a PACKAPUNCH cable on Sunday, and it should be here the day after tomorrow based on tracking info. Just don't cheap out and get shitty shipping.

legolas119
04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Hi guys, i have a couple of questions:

1) I bought the Hori Fighting pad, like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/PC-Engine-PCE-Hori-Fighting-Commander-6-Button-Controller-Boxed-Japan-NEC/1229792787 But it doens't work with the flashcard. Is it normal? Only the original 2 button joypad works fine. Unfortunately i don't have any original game so i can't try it with an original cd or hue card. I bought it months ago in a ebay shop, I know that shop and usually they sent me items in perfect conditions.I bought from that shop the console too (perfect) and the original 2 button joypad (in perfect conditions too). But i don't know if in this case the 6 button joypad has problems or not. I think that he tried the joypad before to send it to me...do you know about issues related to this joypad?

2) I downloaded a cd game in this format (it is castlevania translated in english): https://s14.postimg.org/rak42x5u9/Immagine3.png
How can i use it in the flashcard? Have I to trasnform the wav file or the iso file in another file format?

thanks

Syn
04-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Nevermind

MobiusStripTech
04-01-2018, 01:23 PM

1) I bought the Hori Fighting pad, like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/PC-Engine-PCE-Hori-Fighting-Commander-6-Button-Controller-Boxed-Japan-NEC/1229792787 But it doens't work with the flashcard. Is it normal? Only the original 2 button joypad works fine. Unfortunately i don't have any original game so i can't try it with an original cd or hue card. I bought it months ago in a ebay shop, I know that shop and usually they sent me items in perfect conditions.I bought from that shop the console too (perfect) and the original 2 button joypad (in perfect conditions too). But i don't know if in this case the 6 button joypad has problems or not. I think that he tried the joypad before to send it to me...do you know about issues related to this joypad?

2) I downloaded a cd game in this format (it is castlevania translated in english): https://s14.postimg.org/rak42x5u9/Immagine3.png
How can i use it in the flashcard? Have I to trasnform the wav file or the iso file in another file format?

thanks

6 button pads are known to have issues when used with games that dont support them. Usually you have a switch that switched between 3 button and 6 button mode on the pad.

The CD game will work as is. Just put the folder on the sd card and go.

neosd
04-01-2018, 01:25 PM

thanks

The original NEC AVENUE 6 buttons pad works fine, this is the one i use myself.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/egamia/images/3/37/NECavnue6pad.jpg

I canīt think about any reason why super sd system 3 would affect to a controller usage ....

Syn
04-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Most of the controllers need the contacts cleaned due to their age. Check that too.

MobiusStripTech
04-01-2018, 01:47 PM
He probably didn't flip the switch from 6 button mode to 2 button.

legolas119
04-01-2018, 03:17 PM
hi, thank guys.
Castlevania works, good.

Speaking about the joypad, the issue was related to the START button only (i didn't notice it because at the beginning of the game, i saw that the game didn't work but only the START button has an issue).
Now I tried it again, in 2 button mode, and it seems that works: i only blow on contacts. It seems that it is needed to push slightly hard the START button in order to transimit the command to the game (all the others buttons work correctly). Do you suggest to open the joypad and check the START button? or simply can I clean contacts with same product I use to clean contact of Super Nes/Megadrive cartridge?

Jibbajaba
04-01-2018, 04:02 PM
hi, thank guys.
Castlevania works, good.

Speaking about the joypad, the issue was related to the START button only (i didn't notice it because at the beginning of the game, i saw that the game didn't work but only the START button has an issue).
Now I tried it again, in 2 button mode, and it seems that works: i only blow on contacts. It seems that it is needed to push slightly hard the START button in order to transimit the command to the game (all the others buttons work correctly). Do you suggest to open the joypad and check the START button? or simply can I clean contacts with same product I use to clean contact of Super Nes/Megadrive cartridge?

You need to open up the controller, clean the conductive rubber pads with rubbing alcohol, and clean the contacts on the PCB with a white eraser. This is normal maintenance for old game controllers.

SavagePencil
04-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Any ideas on how we can fix the audio buzz? It’s present—if less pronounced—even on HuCard games. Case in point: With the stock composite cable + RCA audio plugged in while playing Aldynes, I get no buzz. Swapping over to the PackAPunch cable thru the SSSD3, I get an audible buzz. When running a CD ROM, the buzz modulates with SD access.

GadgetUK
04-02-2018, 04:15 AM

I am guessing you are using one of the "crazy" cables I have - where the plastic of the miniture DIN connector is really bulky,meaning you cannot push it all the way into the socket on the SSDS3 properly. Could we see a photo of your cable connector? Looks like you are missing a colour or two. The banding there seems to suggest that maybe the ground is not making a good connection either, or perhaps the cable isn't shielded properly.

greatfunky
04-02-2018, 07:50 AM
I am guessing you are using one of the "crazy" cables I have - where the plastic of the miniture DIN connector is really bulky,meaning you cannot push it all the way into the socket on the SSDS3 properly. Could we see a photo of your cable connector? Looks like you are missing a colour or two. The banding there seems to suggest that maybe the ground is not making a good connection either, or perhaps the cable isn't shielded properly.

Gadget you missed some informations in the thread ! :keke: : his issue was about two pins were bent and not transmitting some colors to the SSD3 ;)..

GadgetUK
04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Gadget you missed some informations in the thread ! :keke: : his issue was about two pins were bent and not transmitting some colors to the SSD3 ;)..

=D Sorry, didn't see that :P Glad it was easily sorted!

Reality_Studio
04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Yeah I had bent 2 pins on the back of my TG-16 when I installed it lol, it's all fixed now.

We played with my Turbografx-16 and the Super SD System 3 yesterday live on Twitch for about 4 hours and for the most part it worked great! I made sure to mention the device so people knew what we were using, absolutely love it. The only issue we had was when playing the Sherlock Holmes CD game, the only game we played that had video in it. The audio was out of sync with the video, sometimes speech audio was garbled and sometimes the video playback of Sherlock Holmes was glitchy. It could be an issue with my cd image though since I never tried it before. But regardless it's a must have device, I recommend it to everyone that was watching!

legolas119
04-02-2018, 12:00 PM
You need to open up the controller, clean the conductive rubber pads with rubbing alcohol, and clean the contacts on the PCB with a white eraser. This is normal maintenance for old game controllers.

thamks. I'm cleaning with a white eraser the contact of START button on pcb. The eraser is becoming "black". It means that i have to continue to clean until the dark disappears from the eraser?

neosd
04-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Yeah I had bent 2 pins on the back of my TG-16 when I installed it lol, it's all fixed now.

We played with my Turbografx-16 and the Super SD System 3 yesterday live on Twitch for about 4 hours and for the most part it worked great! I made sure to mention the device so people knew what we were using, absolutely love it. The only issue we had was when playing the Sherlock Holmes CD game, the only game we played that had video in it. The audio was out of sync with the video, sometimes speech audio was garbled and sometimes the video playback of Sherlock Holmes was glitchy. It could be an issue with my cd image though since I never tried it before. But regardless it's a must have device, I recommend it to everyone that was watching!

Its a kown issue,

The 2 sherlock holmes games and Guliver game need fine cd reading tuning, its on our todo list.

Jibbajaba
04-02-2018, 12:37 PM
thamks. I'm cleaning with a white eraser the contact of START button on pcb. The eraser is becoming "black". It means that i have to continue to clean until the dark disappears from the eraser?

No, I wouldn't go too crazy. Make sure you also clean the rubber pad. Use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

Reality_Studio
04-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Its a kown issue,

The 2 sherlock holmes games and Guliver game need fine cd reading tuning, its on our todo list.

Ok cool, not a big deal as the device otherwise worked flawlessly. Any plans to make something similar for the Sega Genesis? :)

legolas119
04-02-2018, 02:36 PM
No, I wouldn't go too crazy. Make sure you also clean the rubber pad. Use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

ok, I cleaned everything. At the beginning the issue related to the START button was still there...after some test, suddenly, it started to work! Then i tried 3 or 4 time to turn off the console and unplug the joypad and restart the console and it seem now that the issue is disappeared...the button works perfectly. Tomorrow I will try again in order to check if the issue will appear again...I hope no..

thank you

opt2not
04-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Absolutely loving my SSDS3!
RGB looks great, I'm getting no visual noise on the video, but I am having audio problems.
Here's some shots from a Coregrafx II, PACKAPUNCH cable, OSSC to a Benq Zowie.

https://i.imgur.com/4NX8OND.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YGcabRE.jpg

My audio issues seem to be different than what people have posted so far. For me, the audio works great at the start of playing, nice and clear in both speakers with only a little bit of noise which is expected out of an analog audio circuit (my SNES jr. gives me way more audio noise than this).
BUT after about 5 minutes of playing, the left speaker's audio starts to degrade, gets "scratchy", then eventually cuts out entirely giving me only mono sound out of the right speaker.
I haven't tried to debug it yet, other than checking the connections of my PACKAPUNCH (don't know why I'm yelling this) cable, or testing another device going through my OSSC. My PACKAPUNCH cable is new, as of the March batch of this year, but I should probably see if I was sent a faulty one. Could this be a sign of my Coregrafx's audio circuit failing? Has anyone else had this particular issue as well? Seems like there is a faulty component somewhere in the chain, but I'm not sure where to start looking other than the cable it's hooked up to.

ShootTheCore
04-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Sounds to me like your CoreGrafx needs a recap - especially since the behavior changes over time. Does the audio channel get scratchy and cut out when playing an original HuCard?

opt2not
04-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Sounds to me like your CoreGrafx needs a recap - especially since the behavior changes over time. Does the audio channel get scratchy and cut out when playing an original HuCard?

Yeah it happens to any game, HuCard or CD after 5 minutes. I'll verify this still happens using the stock composite cable, coming straight out of the Coregrafx rather than the SSDS3. If it still persists, I'll go ahead with a cap kit...this console probably needs one anyway.

Black_Tiger
04-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Its a kown issue,

Keep in mind that the audio in both Sherlock games fall out of sync when played on good working CD-ROM systems. It Came From the Desert and Gulliver Boy normally do stay in sync though.

RAZO
04-02-2018, 05:54 PM

This might be my issue as well. I notice that sometimes I could hear a tad bit of scratchy audio when I'm playing. It's not a big deal but I know It wasn't there when I was playing games on my Duo that was fully recapped.

RevQuixo
04-02-2018, 10:47 PM
https://twitter.com/voultar/status/980951324610170880?s=21

Ummm Composite video sync is messed up because of a backwards cap?

MobiusStripTech
04-02-2018, 10:58 PM
It looks like my rev1 board is also like this.

Yodd
04-02-2018, 11:00 PM
https://twitter.com/voultar/status/980951324610170880?s=21

Ummm Composite video sync is messed up because of a backwards cap?

Voultar misspoke. That cap is inline for the composite sync output.

MobiusStripTech
04-02-2018, 11:07 PM

I don't think he did. That caps polarity is backwards. It's on the output side of the amp which means the voltage should go in the positive side.

MobiusStripTech
04-02-2018, 11:13 PM

This is the dev board for the THS7374 taken from the TI datasheet. Check clearly shows positive voltage side toward the amp on the output.

Yodd
04-02-2018, 11:17 PM
I don't think he did. That caps polarity is backwards. It's on the output side of the amp which means the voltage should go in the positive side.

No. That’s not what I meant. Yes, it’s installed backwards.

I mean it’s not for composite video, but for composite sync.

MobiusStripTech
04-02-2018, 11:19 PM

Ah yes. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah it's definitely the composite sync on Ch4.

I do wonder if flipping it will correct the scrolling lines some people have seen on the rev2.

F4U57
04-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Ah yes. Sorry I misunderstood what you meant. Yeah it's definitely the composite sync on Ch4.

I do wonder if flipping it will correct the scrolling lines some people have seen on the rev2.

Just ordered an SSDS3. Will wait for revision 3.

Syn
04-03-2018, 12:24 AM
It took my 4th scart cable but I now have no buzzing. Using an OSSC on a 50" Vizio.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the eBay seller as it was a year ago.

comp1demon
04-03-2018, 12:57 AM
It took my 4th scart cable but I now have no buzzing. Using an OSSC on a 50" Vizio.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the eBay seller as it was a year ago.

You can look up every sale by Year going back 3 years on ebay now using purchase History..

Razoola
04-03-2018, 04:16 AM

Does this affect all the new shipped revisions or are there only a limited few where its installed backwards?

neosd
04-03-2018, 04:23 AM
Does this affect all the new shipped revisions or are there only a limited few where its installed backwards?

We used the reference design from Texas Instruments (manufacturer of the rbg chip) :

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/AC-coupled-video.png

It looks like its wrong,

Voultar is right on both things (the capacitor being reversed, Texas Instruments being wrong) and this not being a big deal cause Cvideo thing is something almost no one uses, it's a simple fix and we will swich the position on the next batch, just in case someone uses it.

Razoola
04-03-2018, 04:31 AM
Ok...... I have been totally out of it for the last week with flu (I still have it now) so I don't know the full ins and outs of this. I took this to be related to the couple of people who say they got video issues with the rev 2 board....

neosd
04-03-2018, 04:42 AM
Ok...... I have been totally out of it for the last week with flu (I still have it now) so I don't know the full ins and outs of this. I took this to be related to the couple of people who say they got video issues with the rev 2 board....

This is more like caused by the own pcengine being noisy, we have a lot of pcengines and some are more noisy than others. The power supply and the cables used also affect, i would say its a mix of a lot of factors. (i am talking about the video, the audio noise is something different, we are going to work on a software update to reduce audio noise, next week)

I am still waiting for Voultar to explain why Texas Instruments is wrong and he is right. I asked him last saturday about that but he didnīt gave me a clear answer, he just said that Texas Instruments were wrong, that theyr design was wrong cause this cap canīt be mounted this way, he didnīt provided any info i could use to contact Texas Instruments about that.

I would like to write an email to Texas Instruments about this issue, but i cant just tell them : Hey, Voultar says your datasheet is wrong, is he right ? as soon as i got a reasonable answer, i will write Texas Instruments to have more info.

Yodd
04-03-2018, 05:15 AM
C60 IS installed backwards.

That is a tantalum capacitor, correct?

If so, the stripe on the end indicates that anode or positive side of the capacitor and not the negative side.

Lets look at that TI diagram:

This clearly shows the positive side of the cap hooked to the output side of each of the 4 channels of the amp.

However on the SSDS3, C60 is pretty clearly installed the other way around with the negative side facing the amp:

https://s18.postimg.org/unw9ac4kp/RGB_Section.jpg

As a matter of fact, the silk screen for all 4 cap locations (C13, C14, C16 and C60) is upside down.

https://mxcdn.macrofab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SMT_EL_Footprint.png

https://mxcdn.macrofab.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SMTcasefootprint.png

neodev
04-03-2018, 05:21 AM

If so, the stripe on the end indicates that anode or positive side of the capacitor and not the negative side.

This clearly shows the positive side of the cap hooked to the output side of each of the 4 channels of the amp.

However on the SSDS3, C60 is pretty clearly installed the other way around with the negative side facing the amp:

As a matter of fact, the silk screen for all 4 cap locations (C13, C14, C16 and C60) is upside down.

There are several schematics on that datasheet, some show + pointing to the chip and other to the output (page 25 of the datasheet) so, which one is right, and, does it actually matter then?

Also, it should only affect composite video, as rgb doesn't use the caps anymore, and csync is output in digital form

neosd
04-03-2018, 05:35 AM

Todd,

I did a mistake while pasting the picture,

I have edited the image, + is facing the output

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ths7374.pdf

Page 25 on the datasheet

Yodd
04-03-2018, 05:53 AM
There are several schematics on that datasheet, some show + pointing to the chip and other to the output (page 25 of the datasheet) so, which one is right, and, does it actually matter then?

Also, it should only affect composite video, as rgb doesn't use the caps anymore, and csync is output in digital form

well shit, I didn't realize this was for composite video. I had assumed you ran RGB and comp sync into the 7374.

neodev
04-03-2018, 06:01 AM
well shit, I didn't realize this was for composite video. I had assumed you ran RGB and comp sync into the 7374.

Yes, Rgb goes through the amp but the caps are on the cable instead on on the pcb

ArcadeHacker
04-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Received my unit today, contents are in pristine condition. Any recommendations as to which video cable to use?

elevengames
04-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Received my unit today, contents are in pristine condition. Any recommendations as to which video cable to use?

They both appear to be out of stock at the moment, but Retro Gaming Cables' PACKAPUNCH cables or Retro Access' Coax Multicore CSYNC cables would be your best options for RGB.

leonk
04-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Reading this thread, one thing comes to mind. I don't see how this device can rid of jailbars that are inherit in the PC Engine without modding the console itself as documented by Tim Worthington a few years ago:

http://etim.net.au/av-driver/pcebars/

Doesn't matter if you use this or Voultar's RGB amp, the console must be modded. Anyone that thinks an external device can fix an inherit flaw in how these consoles were made is mistaken. I think this explains why so many people complain about seeing jailbars. Those that don't, might be playing on previously modded consoles.

Yodd
04-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Reading this thread, one thing comes to mind. I don't see how this device can rid of jailbars that are inherit in the PC Engine without modding the console itself as documented by Tim Worthington a few years ago:

Doesn't matter if you use this or Voultar's RGB amp, the console must be modded. Anyone that thinks an external device can fix an inherit flaw in how these consoles were made is mistaken. I think this explains why so many people complain about seeing jailbars. Those that don't, might be playing on previously modded consoles.

I don't think anyone has claimed it can get rid of jailbars. However I have seen some posts at Shmups where I think some people are confused about this and are mistaken Jailbars for other video noise.

RevQuixo
04-03-2018, 08:11 AM

This isn't jailbars. I've purchased a new PSU to see if perhaps my old one is dying..as that has been suggested as an issue (The SSDS3 and HD Retrovision cables requiring power)

cr4zymanz0r
04-03-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm not exactly buying the whole "oh, it's your console causing the interference" argument. I just installed Voultar's internal RGB amp in my Core Grafx last night (and had previously done the jailbar fix and fully recapped the console, prior to getting the SSDS3) and the RGB output from it (without the SSDS3 attached) is stunning. It's crystal clear and on par with my RGB modded Duo-R.

However when I then attached the SSDS3, if I load games from the SSDS3 itself (particularly CD games) there is still noise added though greatly reduced by using the internal RGB amp I installed. I'll still need to get or make a stereo audio cable to hook to the SSDS3 for audio in CD games, but with the internal RGB amp I think the video noise is reduced to a level I can deal with now. I made a more detailed write-up in the thread over at the shmups forum if you're interested.

Neo NooNaN
04-03-2018, 08:47 AM

He didn't really misspeak, just left a key word out. CSYNC is composite sync. The cap is backwards in line with using composite video as sync. Those are two different things. (I know that you know this, just clarifying as it read a bit confusing)

So, as long as you're not using composite video as sync (or outputting composite video from the SSD3), you're fine.

trenton_net
04-03-2018, 08:54 AM

As someone who uses composite when visiting different locations (Without RGB hardware), how does the reversal of this component effect composite output? Will using composite damage the console or super SD system 3 in any way?

RevQuixo
04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
He didn't really misspeak, just left a key word out. CSYNC is composite sync. The cap is backwards in line with using composite video as sync. Those are two different things. (I know that you know this, just clarifying as it read a bit confusing)

So, as long as you're not using composite video as sync (or outputting composite video from the SSD3), you're fine.

So do not use HD Retrovision cables, composite video sync based RGB cables or "old school" composite video cable (yellow, red, white)...

So the million dollar question, what will happen if we do use them?

Yodd
04-03-2018, 08:56 AM

This has already been covered several posts up. I was mistaken when I said composite sync. Voultar was correct.

Yodd
04-03-2018, 08:58 AM
So the million dollar question, what will happen if we do use them?

http://78.media.tumblr.com/525e537bbfc8e14f67e5e7adba8b630c/tumblr_nf919hkb001scwxnvo4_500.gif

monads
04-03-2018, 09:28 AM
As someone who uses composite when visiting different locations (Without RGB hardware), how does the reversal of this component effect composite output? Will using composite damage the console or super SD system 3 in any way?

Same here, I'm a little confused by all this now. I've been using a regular genesis2 AV cable connected to the SD System3 with an old CRT. Is this not correct or harmful now?

Dan Hero
04-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Mine arrived today, but I had very little time to try it, since ATM I'm still at work -_-

Anyway, great packaging, and it works wonders on my original, white PCE with Megadrive PSU and Retro Gaming Cables' Megadrive 2 RGB cable on a SONY Trinitron. Waiting for a replacement Super Grafx PSU to arrive, so I can switch console, but the result is really awesome, and well worth the wait.

Thank you again, Terraonion.

MobiusStripTech
04-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Same here, I'm a little confused by all this now. I've been using a regular genesis2 AV cable connected to the SD System3 with an old CRT. Is this not correct or harmful now?

Yes it is not correct and has the potential to be harmful.

Hey Alex! I would be willing to swap the caps around for people in the US if it would be ok with you and your team.

neosd
04-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Hey Alex! I would be willing to swap the caps around for people in the US if it would be ok with you and your team.

I am tired, i canīt live with this anymore.

I am considering those options right now :

Not selling any more Super SD System 3 and ship all pending orders.

Put my time in other thing and move along.

I canīt live with all this shit alone. Sorry, i got burnt by you guys and this RGB party. Well done

F4U57
04-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Take a week off and relax man, geez.

I have a pending order and I’m in no rush for it to be delivered.

You guy do amazing work. Just take this in your stride as a learning experience and move forward.

Head up. Seriously, take some time off before your physical and mental health shuts down.

Gamepimp
04-03-2018, 10:07 AM
I agree. This is a very unique product and I'm absolutely thrilled with mine so far. The RGB video looks awesome and the slight buzz in the audio is hardly noticeable on my SuperGrafx. As long as it's not going to do any damage to my hardware, I'm extremely satisfied. I think it might be wise to stop selling units for now until some of these issues get ironed out. Hopefully that will also give you guys some time to decompress and regain some strength from all of this. Don't give up or be deterred. The retro gaming community needs guys like you to develop these amazing devices so we can continue to enjoy the classics. I'm behind TO 100% and look forward to the new "toys" you guys have in the works. ;)

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Sorry, maybe I am missing something here, but how exactly is a coupling cap being the wrong way around having the potential to be harmful? The level is so very low, and that kind of thing happened in Amiga 500's with the audio coupling caps - they lasted 30+ years and still work perfectly today despite the caps being the wrong way around. Not having a go here, just trying to understand what the concerns actually are!

EDIT: Is this a bypass cap? Just trying to catch up - bear with me!

Tw3ek
04-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Take a week off and relax man, geez.

I have a pending order and I’m in no rush for it to be delivered.

You guy do amazing work. Just take this in your stride as a learning experience and move forward.

Head up. Seriously, take some time off before your physical and mental health shuts down.

Great advice. Take a holiday man, I'm sure most people would understand, because it's not worth sacrificing your health.

This is a damn great example of why we cannot have nice things though.

MobiusStripTech
04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Sorry, maybe I am missing something here, but how exactly is a coupling cap being the wrong way around having the potential to be harmful? The level is so very low, and that kind of thing happened in Amiga 500's with the audio coupling caps - they lasted 30+ years and still work perfectly today despite the caps being the wrong way around. Not having a go here, just trying to understand what the concerns actually are!

EDIT: Is this a bypass cap? Just trying to catch up - bear with me!

It's an AC coupling cap and yes the level is low. The concern is because it is a tantalum cap. As I know you are aware, tantalum caps can and are known to catch fire when forward voltage is applied to the reverse.

It's hard to say whether this will actually happen. Obviously it hasn't yet but that doesn't mean that it is impossible. If these were electrolytic, it would be an issue but at least a failure wouldn't result in fire.

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 10:23 AM

No, it's not going to damage anything, even if you have the wrong cable. I've got a bunch of different cables here, some with resistor and caps, some with just caps. If you lack resistors in your cable the picture will be brighter (but you probably wouldn't even know). If the caps are missing it wont affect anything really, but the caps should be in the cable too (with regards to RGB connections). Composite tends to just pass through on all cables I've seen. People need to calm down a bit lol, one person mentions a cap issue or a problem with their setup and everyone starts thinking the end of the world is coming...

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 10:25 AM
It's an AC coupling cap and yes the level is low. The concern is because it is a tantalum cap. As I know you are aware, tantalum caps can and are known to catch fire when forward voltage is applied to the reverse.

It's hard to say whether this will actually happen. Obviously it hasn't yet but that doesn't mean that it is impossible. If these were electrolytic, it would be an issue but at least a failure wouldn't result in fire.

At 0.7v I will eat my dirty underwear if one of them ever explodes...

EDIT: In fact, isn't the composite level nearer to 0.3v?
EDIT2: 1v p2p with 75ohm terminating resistor? Still, I am not worried in the least. If you are losing sleep, you could turn the cap around or replace it entirely.

pixeljunkie
04-03-2018, 10:27 AM

Thank you for posting this - I was starting to get concerned, mainly out of confusion.

Tech&Music
04-03-2018, 10:31 AM

EDIT2: 1v p2p with 75ohm terminating resistor? Still, I am not worried in the least. If you are losing sleep, you could turn the cap around or replace it entirely.

I was thinking that as well, as explosive as tants can be when they go wrong, I too would be very, very surprised if video signal levels of voltage can set them off. A whole lot of FUD's being spread IMO.

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Maybe I am blind here but I actually don't even see the problem. The datasheet indicates the +ve side should be nearest the connector. The photo shows C60's positive side (assuming its a tant) on the side nearest the connector.

fenikso
04-03-2018, 10:34 AM
NeoSD, take a break, man. The SSDS3 is a fantastic piece of kit, and we all love it.

@MobiusStripTech - Have you tried reversing this cap yourself? If so: What was the result?

I'm just surprised there's any problem on the composite side, because that's all I've been using and even with composite it looks fantastic.

MobiusStripTech
04-03-2018, 10:35 AM

I am not losing sleep over it. I have no problem with flipping the cap. That's why I offered to do it for anyone US based as long as Alex and the team were ok with it. Like I said, I agree the voltage is low and it "probably" won't happen. The point is more that if people are concerned, which they do have a right to be, there is a solution.

The world isn't coming to an end but for those who can't flip the cap and want it flipped, there are options without this turning into a huge thing.

MobiusStripTech
04-03-2018, 10:38 AM
NeoSD, take a break, man. The SSDS3 is a fantastic piece of kit, and we all love it.

@MobiusStripTech - Have you tried reversing this cap yourself? If so: What was the result?

I'm just surprised there's any problem on the composite side, because that's all I've been using and even with composite it looks fantastic.

My Rev1 doesn't work at all so I wouldn't be able to do anything of value with that. Again if Alex and the team are ok with it, I will happily reverse the caps for people.

Maybe I am blind here but I actually don't even see the problem. The datasheet indicates the +ve side should be nearest the connector. The photo shows C60's positive side (assuming its a tant) on the side nearest the connector.

Yes the datasheet is incorrect. AC coupling caps should not be installed in reverse. This was discussed with the TerraOnion engineers outside of this forum.

comp1demon
04-03-2018, 10:48 AM
My Rev1 doesn't work at all so I wouldn't be able to do anything of value with that. Again if Alex and the team are ok with it, I will happily reverse the caps for people.

Yes the datasheet is incorrect. AC coupling caps should not be installed in reverse. This was discussed with the TerraOnion engineers outside of this forum.

I'd Gladly help out too. FLipping components with Hot Air is super simple and take mere seconds. IF they are cool with it. I am in the USA as well. I will be glad to offer my help as well if anyone wants it.

neodev
04-03-2018, 11:11 AM
I was thinking that as well, as explosive as tants can be when they go wrong, I too would be very, very surprised if video signal levels of voltage can set them off. A whole lot of FUD's being spread IMO.

Yes, at these signal levels, I think the only issue is the capacitor will probably age faster than in normal usage. Also as soon as I return, I'll try contacting TI about the datasheet.

Also, I haven't seen any report yet about improvements in video noise when reversing it (I have limited connection so I haven't been able to check twitter and other forums about that)

nevets14
04-03-2018, 12:40 PM

I canīt live with all this shit alone. Sorry, i got burnt by you guys and this RGB party. Well done

Why give up? This is a brand new one of a kind device and as early adopters we understand(or should at least) that we are "beta testers". As such we test and report back so down the line a 100% perfect product can be achieved. Please don't be discouraged, the more companies out there making devices like this the better. The TG/PCE is getting the love it always deserved.

Thanks again for a fantastic product.

cr4zymanz0r
04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
@neosd

Some of this might get lost in translation, but I'll try anyway. Yes, I've been critical of the RGB signal from/affected by the SSDS3 but I've been trying to do so in such a way that's provided as feedback. I'm a reasonable guy, and while I do not run a business myself I can understand the financial and mental challenges of doing so. Products for retro consoles are very niche and probably don't have widespread appeal to many people who don't frequent forums such as this one or other retro gaming oriented ones, and development efforts for such products are usually done by a much smaller team than mass marketed products. Due to this, I know it's not entirely abnormal for such products to potentially encounter issues in their initial releases. I'm not wailing and screaming demanding costly board revisions.

However, what I do ask is if you're selling a product as a business to be more business professional. I'm not trying to say "hey, just ignore all the stress you're getting from this". In that respect, take vacation for a week to recoup if it's affecting you that much. Mental well being is important. My focus is on the customer communication itself. I mean when I asked if the video issues I was seeing could be looked in again once the shipping crunch settles down, you basically said "No, it looks fine to us now. We're done with that". I mean, that's a rather poor response to a paying customer. I'm not saying you had to bend over backwards and promise the world to me, but just a simple "We'll check into this as time permits" would've come off much better, and/or opening a new thread for people with similar issues to report their findings to help you gather data for troubleshooting. I was always fine with fixing it myself but just needed someone to find out what the fix was.

As for the recently found reversed capacitor for composite video, I haven't switched mine around yet to see if that helps anything (I'm not using composite video for sync) but will probably see about that this evening or tomorrow. Yes, it's probably stressful for you that "oh no, we've shipped all these boards with this mistake" but you've already had people in here volunteering to fix it on customer boards. The ODE part is great so far and your customers want you to succeed so there will be other helpful products in the future. Just chill, work with your customers providing feedback and volunteering help, and keep communication professional.

@everyone else
I know quite a few of you have stated you're either completely fine with the video output, can't notice any issues, the issues are so minor to you that you're no bothered, etc.. That's fine if you're completely ok with it due to being less picky, are using equipment that doesn't make it visible, etc.. However, just because you're fine with it doesn't invalidate other paying customer's concerns. I'm mostly referring to people that have made comments along the line of "they should just stop worrying about the video quality and play the games".

neosd
04-03-2018, 01:12 PM
@neosd

Some of this might get lost in translation, but I'll try anyway. Yes, I've been critical of the RGB signal from/affected by the SSDS3 but I've been trying to do so in such a way that's provided as feedback. I'm a reasonable guy, and while I do not run a business myself I can understand the financial and mental challenges of doing so. Products for retro consoles are very niche and probably don't have widespread appeal to many people who don't frequent forums such as this one or other retro gaming oriented ones, and development efforts for such products are usually done by a much smaller time than mass marketed products. Due to this, I know it's not entirely abnormal for such products to potentially encounter issues in their initial releases. I'm not wailing and screaming demanding costly board revisions.

However, what I do ask is if you're selling a product as a business to be more business professional. I'm not trying to say "hey, just ignore all the stress you're getting from this". In that respect, take vacation for a week to recoup if it's affecting you that much. Mental well being is important. My focus is on the customer communication itself. I mean when I asked if the video issues I was seeing could be looked in again once the shipping crunch settles down, you basically said "No, it looks fine to us now. We're done with that". I mean, that's a rather poor response to a paying customer. I'm not saying you had to bend over backwards and promise the world to me, but just a simple "We'll check into this as time permits" would've come off much better, and/or opening a new thread for people with similar issues to report their findings to help you gather data for troubleshooting. I was always fine with fixing it myself but just needed someone to find out what the fix was.

As for the recently found reversed capacitor for composite video, I haven't switched mine around yet to see if that helps anything (I'm not using composite video for sync) but will probably see about that this evening or tomorrow. Yes, it's probably stressful for you that "oh no, we've shipped all these boards with this mistake" but you've already had people in here volunteering to fix it on customer boards. The ODE part is great so far and your customers want you to succeed so there will be other helpful products in the future. Just chill, work with your customers providing feedback and volunteering help, and keep communication professional.

@everyone else
I know quite a few of you have stated you're either completely fine with the video output, can't notice any issues, the issues are so minor to you that you're no bothered, etc.. That's fine if you're completely ok with it due to being less picky, are using equipment that doesn't make it visible, etc.. However, just because you're fine with it doesn't invalidate other paying customer's concerns. I'm mostly referring to people that have made comments along the line of "they should just stop worrying about the video quality and play the games".

You and the rest are demanding a 0 seccond answer to anything, and this is killing my health and my relationship with my wife and kids.

I donīt have any help on that, just critics and i have decided that its not worth to continue this way.

i want my life back, easy, and i am going to get it. My patience reached a limit where i donīt care anymore about the quality of your RGB, i care much more about my health and my familiy.

So ask Amazon to produce such things, and demand them 0 seccond fixes. Do the same with Intel and ask then for a replacement CPU.

I decided that i am tired and i wont keep with this way of life, if it can be told life at all

You guys donīt gave us time to work, you guys wanted 0 seccond answers to anything, it dosenīt matters if this is saturday, sunday, if i am eating of whathever

I am tired about people coming here to tell the board is going to burn and answering emails cause that,

I am tired about answering at forums, i should not be doing this and this is the last time i am going to do it.

You guys, have created an ecosystem that is killing us, where a guy comes here saying the board is going to burn (without any scientific explanation), and everyone starts panic.

One canīt live with a pile of people using a scope everyday over our pcbs trying to find issues and magnifying anything, big or small.

I just wish you guys sit down and think if you could live with such situation at your jobs, with your boss putting preasure among the 8 working hours. No like the preasure we are receiving everyday at any hour.

One canīt work or live this way, if you canīt see that, you guys are the ones with the issue not us

Syn
04-03-2018, 01:19 PM
You're feeling overwhelmed right now, bro. You've got people like Mobi willing to help as well as others. You have the communities support and aren't alone.

Don't let a critical comment or two dishearten you.

pixeljunkie
04-03-2018, 01:27 PM
This has been depressing to watch. I am super-excited about this device and I am super-happy with mine. I think the "scene" is REALLY bad about shitting where they eat and they are their own worst enemy as this situation proves. So much bitching out one side of the mouth while claiming to "help" with the other. I hope Alex and Terraonion survive this storm, as there are plenty who will continue to support their endeavors. So frustrating to watch, I can't imagine having to deal with it.

Rot
04-03-2018, 01:29 PM
You need a better plan in future... and a bigger team around you Alex...

Consider NG.com for example... The REALITY is... The Ng.com forum is Shawns and it relates to his business... aka. Neostore...

He has a team aka. the Mods that are unpaid... but provide muscle, tech... networking and other such things... basically free of charge...

This forum has been here for a LONG time... and the network is in place...

You will need the same eventually...

The issue YOU have is you are pushing yourself too hard... and I don't question your passion BUT... with the right team in place you could quite easily relax more... and gain the knowledge and support from a select few "reliable" guys....

xROTx

PS. Learn To let go of certain aspects and ask for more help...

ALSO... I find your need for customer support exemplary... but that also could be farmed out...

BUILD THAT TEAM... you will need it on the internet...

Voultar
04-03-2018, 02:14 PM
No, it's not going to damage anything, even if you have the wrong cable. I've got a bunch of different cables here, some with resistor and caps, some with just caps. If you lack resistors in your cable the picture will be brighter (but you probably wouldn't even know). If the caps are missing it wont affect anything really, but the caps should be in the cable too (with regards to RGB connections). Composite tends to just pass through on all cables I've seen. People need to calm down a bit lol, one person mentions a cap issue or a problem with their setup and everyone starts thinking the end of the world is coming...

You've mentioned a few things that I would like to go through. A lot of people are interested in understanding this stuff, so I'll try to throw some data out for you all.

You mentioned the Amiga and a lot of the 30+ year old reversed caps. Well, yes. The Amiga systems did have a lot of screwy capacitors in the the audio section. Hell, the Amiga 4000's A3640 had all of its electro's installed the wrong way, almost. But you are comnparing two very different things here. Tantalum caps and Electrolytics are very different things with very different properties in their dielectrics. The question isn't "When will this destroy my shit?" the question should be "CAN this destroy my shit?"

Tantalum Capacitors that are polarized are designed to only operate under a forward voltage bias. Inverting the polarity of a Tantalum can produce nasty, high leakage currents and can possibly do some bad stuff. Don't take my word for it. Read Kemet's own white-paper on the matter. http://www.kemet.com/Lists/TechnicalArticles/Attachments/199/2014%20EDFA%20Tantalum%20Cap%20Failure%20Analysis% 20Review%20by%20Javaid%20Qazi.pdf

Well, C60 is the capacitor that's responsible for AC coupling composite video for termination. But what does that mean, exactly?

The THS7374 is a rail to rail amplifier. You have two rails; 0V and 5V. There's no -ve rail here. The THS7374 outputs are DC biased above 0V. So when you AC couple (add that 220uF-330uF capacitor) the video line, you'll have a DC voltage across the capacitor, which is directed towards the 7374. Meaning, like this:

See the orientation of the polarity? Ti fucked up ONE diagram in their datasheet. But if you're building up a video circuit, you shouldn't need to reference the orientation of the AC coupling capacitors. I mean, yeah. TI fucked this part up, but that's something that's super easy to catch. That's like putting a car battery in backwards. Just look at the EVAL board, and look at all of the other application notes.

At any rate, what all of this means is that this capacitor (C60) is responsible for removing any DC offset from the transmission line. The reason I'm explaining this is because if you understand this, then you'll understand why inverting the polarity on a capacitor that's AC coupling your video line is a big no no and the orientation of the offset caps shouldn't even be in question..

Now, is this going to burn down your house? Probably not. Is it going to catch fire? More than likely not. Will composite video performance suffer? Sure it will, and that's very measurable. You're going to have a steady voltage error in your coupling component (capacitor). How much will your picture quality suffer? That's hard to say. The clamping element of your Television, Scaler, or Penis pump will be what determines how well the DC "drift" is handled. It may also impact how well TV's, BVM's and Scalers slice or "lock" onto the sync signal, if you're syncing on composite video. But it's not a huge god damned deal. Just reverse the thing, if you can. Or if you don't have any intention of using composite video, piss on it. It will do you zero harm. It's not the end of the world, boiz. Absolutely definitely isn't a reason to do a unit recall. That would be fucking ridiculous.

BTW, C-Video isn't .3vPP, that's C-Sync. C-Video is a nominal 1vPP.

RAZO
04-03-2018, 02:33 PM
@neosd

Some of this might get lost in translation, but I'll try anyway. Yes, I've been critical of the RGB signal from/affected by the SSDS3 but I've been trying to do so in such a way that's provided as feedback. I'm a reasonable guy, and while I do not run a business myself I can understand the financial and mental challenges of doing so. Products for retro consoles are very niche and probably don't have widespread appeal to many people who don't frequent forums such as this one or other retro gaming oriented ones, and development efforts for such products are usually done by a much smaller team than mass marketed products. Due to this, I know it's not entirely abnormal for such products to potentially encounter issues in their initial releases. I'm not wailing and screaming demanding costly board revisions.

@everyone else

Ohh, your one of those guys. Got it

cr4zymanz0r
04-03-2018, 02:43 PM

One of those guys that can disagree, but still have a civil discussion and understand different circumstances for different people, and want to work towards a resolution? Yes, I am indeed one of those guys :)
*high five*

Yodd
04-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Put your dicks away boys, this isn't the time for it.

Rot
04-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Put your dicks away boys, this isn't the time for it.

My dick has been firmly zipped away for ages.... This is NG.com... play away lads...

I would mention tho... convo has been VERY civilised so far.... and TBH, this is how I would like it to stay...

Don't make me unleash teh "BEAST"...

xROTx

PS. ...FYI... I am referring to my enormous Asian Cawk...

Neo NooNaN
04-03-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm going to liken this whole thing to being a foodie for a moment...

I go to restaurants all the time...I cook all the time and I eat other people's food that they've prepared. If there's something new I'm trying, I'm always critiquing it; deciding how much I like it, what I'd change to make it better. That thought process/approach does not mean that I enjoy it any less. I can tell my girl that she should have done something different to the risotto, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment or my appreciation for what she did. It's because I'm into cooking and interested in doing things better each time. I do the same at restaurants. I'll taste each element first, then have a composite (see what I did there) bite of everything. My girl and I might decide they could have done something better, but we almost always enjoy everything, whether it's Taco Bell or a $400 dinner at a special place.

Not sure if you're following, but this is a parallel for me. I thoroughly am enjoying this and many other devices that have been released. We're hobbyists and that's kind of like being a foodie in the food world. Some Chef's can't take the criticism on Yelp, etc. and some relish in it as they are their own biggest critics. Talking about something that can be fixed or improved upon (for me at least) has ZERO to do with my appreciation for the device...whatever it is. This is just part of the hobby I suppose. For some, the actual hobby is not even playing the games, rather it's the tinkering. I'm somewhere in the middle, as I enjoy both.

I imagine many of you can relate to this and I'm sure there are parallels in other hobbies/interests. No one should get pissed off when finding an opportunity to improve upon or fix something. Short of a device or product being a complete failure or materially misrepresented, we should all just continue to discuss but keep it all in perspective.

I'll stop grandstanding...just thought this might resonate. (x-posted to shmups)

Rot
04-03-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm going to liken this whole thing to being a foodie for a moment...

I go to restaurants all the time...I cook all the time and I eat other people's food that they've prepared. If there's something new I'm trying, I'm always critiquing it; deciding how much I like it, what I'd change to make it better. That thought process/approach does not mean that I enjoy it any less. I can tell my girl that she should have done something different to the risotto, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment or my appreciation for what she did. It's because I'm into cooking and interested in doing things better each time. I do the same at restaurants. I'll taste each element first, then have a composite (see what I did there) bite of everything. My girl and I might decide they could have done something better, but we almost always enjoy everything, whether it's Taco Bell or a $400 dinner at a special place.

Not sure if you're following, but this is a parallel for me. I thoroughly am enjoying this and many other devices that have been released. We're hobbyists and that's kind of like being a foodie in the food world. Some Chef's can't take the criticism on Yelp, etc. and some relish in it as they are their own biggest critics. Talking about something that can be fixed or improved upon (for me at least) has ZERO to do with my appreciation for the device...whatever it is. This is just part of the hobby I suppose. For some, the actual hobby is not even playing the games, rather it's the tinkering. I'm somewhere in the middle, as I enjoy both.

I imagine many of you can relate to this and I'm sure there are parallels in other hobbies/interests. No one should get pissed off when finding an opportunity to improve upon or fix something. Short of a device or product being a complete failure or materially misrepresented, we should all just continue to discuss but keep it all in perspective.

I'll stop grandstanding...just thought this might resonate. (x-posted to shmups)

TL;DR...

Have you learnt NOTHING!

xROTx

PS. Why do you think Chaz and others are the best posters here... short and everyone knows what they're sayin'...

Reality_Studio
04-03-2018, 03:01 PM
But it's not a huge god damned deal. Just reverse the thing, if you can. Or if you don't have any intention of using composite video, piss on it. It will do you zero harm. It's not the end of the world, boiz. Absolutely definitely isn't a reason to do a unit recall. That would be fucking ridiculous.

Thanks for the whole explanation, very much appreciated! I'm only using it via a Genesis 2 to Scart cable to an hdmi upscaler, so I won't care about this minor c60 issue. I still love the device and I'm thrilled that there's someone out there willing to support us old retro gamers. If you guys want to see it in action, we played it for about 4 hours on Twitch this past Sunday, I post our past broadcasts on Youtube, the TG-16 + Super SD System 3 video is here:

https://youtu.be/gXxslkTT20Y

It's Twitch so yeah we hang, drink and blather a bunch but we do play games as well. Aside from the known video glitches in Sherlock Holmes the device is just astounding to me and an absolute bargain in my mind. Mine is going nowhere :) Thanks again to NeoCD for this. I can see he is getting stressed from all the attacks so maybe it is time to step back. What I would do is offer anyone a refund that doesn't want it, and sell the remaining ones as purely Scart out since that works fine, maybe throw in the mini din to scart cable and only support that, nothing more. I'm sure these will sell out anyways even with that restriction because they are awesome.

takeshi385
04-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Hey guys and gals, I just got my white pc engine and now I can confirm that the super sd sytem 3 will NOT work with gametech's region mod for the turbo grafx 16.

cr4zymanz0r
04-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Hey guys and gals, I just got my white pc engine and now I can confirm that the super sd sytem 3 will NOT work with gametech's region mod for the turbo grafx 16.

It works with my Core Grafx with a gametech region mod.

monads
04-03-2018, 03:45 PM
But it's not a huge god damned deal. Just reverse the thing, if you can. Or if you don't have any intention of using composite video, piss on it. It will do you zero harm. It's not the end of the world, boiz. Absolutely definitely isn't a reason to do a unit recall. That would be fucking ridiculous.

Yes, thanks for the details Voultar!! I'll just reverse C60 and put to rest!! I am using the composite video output.

opt2not
04-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Can I just reverse it with a soldering iron, or do i need a hot-air gun?

*edit, oh shit 1000 posts! :buttrock:

takeshi385
04-03-2018, 04:04 PM
It works with my Core Grafx with a gametech region mod.

That is a different mod from the one for the turbografx.

Yodd
04-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Can I just reverse it with a soldering iron, or do i need a hot-air gun?

*edit, oh shit 1000 posts! :buttrock:

Iron would work fine

monads
04-03-2018, 04:06 PM
From the pic posted earlier it looks like a desoldering iron is suffice for removal and just resolder in the correct position. That's what I was going to try to do anyway this evening.

Thanks Yodd for confirmation!

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Haha, indeed! Thanks though Voultar! Not completely convinced "yet" - I will change the cap around and measure before and after, but I did some tinkering with the scope last weekend to try and get my PCE working with the 1084, and with or wirhout the cap I noticed no difference whatsoever if I am honest and pretty sure I saw no difference on the scope, but I may see a difference when the cap is the right way around... I will re-check next weekend when I swap the cap around. I guess the larger problem here is the fact its a tant, since aluminium caps the wrong way around dont behave exactly the same way? Are we sure it is a tant?

GadgetUK
04-03-2018, 04:30 PM
BTW, C-Video isn't .3vPP, that's C-Sync. C-Video is a nominal 1vPP.

Thanks for clarifying =D I did work it out (see EDIT2 in that post lol). It's not an area that I've ever spent much time looking at tbh.

Syn
04-03-2018, 04:48 PM
*edit, oh 1000 shit posts! :buttrock:

Congrats! :keke:

MobiusStripTech
04-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Haha, indeed! Thanks though Voultar! Not completely convinced "yet" - I will change the cap around and measure before and after, but I did some tinkering with the scope last weekend to try and get my PCE working with the 1084, and with or wirhout the cap I noticed no difference whatsoever if I am honest and pretty sure I saw no difference on the scope, but I may see a difference when the cap is the right way around... I will re-check next weekend when I swap the cap around. I guess the larger problem here is the fact its a tant, since aluminium caps the wrong way around dont behave exactly the same way? Are we sure it is a tant?

It's definitely a tantalum. That was why I was saying there was a concern. I wasn't trying to say if you use this you will definitely burn down your city or anything. It's just not worth the risk in my mind for such a simple fix.

opt2not
04-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Congrats! :keke:

LOL well played.

Syn
04-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I couldn't resist.

haightc
04-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Cool, I ordered mine back early/mid December, looks like it left Spain on the 28th of last month. So when it get here, hopefully in a few weeks I'll flip that cap around in case I want to use my HD Retrovision cable.

atman
04-04-2018, 02:12 AM
Guess I'll flip C60 when Ill get the time. Not a big deal.

Been playing mine for a week now and Im so impressed! So incredible to be able to play CD games with this kind of load times. I absolutly love it!
This SSDS3 system made me buy a neoSD for my AES.

I know that I'll recieve a great and unique product from Terraonion.

sadelape
04-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Mine has been working perfectly with the hd retrovi lretrovision composite cable on my sony xbr trinitron crt. Best picture quality I've seen on the set.

sadelape
04-04-2018, 03:19 AM
*retrovision component cable

atman
04-04-2018, 04:33 AM
Mine has been working perfectly with the hd retrovi lretrovision composite cable on my sony xbr trinitron crt. Best picture quality I've seen on the set.

I agree, best picture I've seen coming out of a PCE.
Also, audio buzz seems to be an issue, often on RGB modded ones. But I havent any audio buzz on the SSDS3, even with a cheapass RGB cable.

Thumbs up!

NOW: Selling my Duo-R!

sadelape
04-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Ya my turbo hasn't been rgb modded and has no audio buzz that I can detect.

I have notice in Ys I and II about every 5 to 10 mins the music has a garbled 1 or 2 secs then continues on normally. Could be the bin/cue.

Gotta say this device is about the best purchase I've made since the neosd.

torgo100
04-04-2018, 07:54 AM

Please don't stop. I want to buy another one soon, because I'm completely satisfied with it, and I want to get one for my buddy on his birthday.

sparksterz
04-04-2018, 09:09 AM
It may also impact how well TV's, BVM's and Scalers slice or "lock" onto the sync signal, if you're syncing on composite video.

That might explain why I can't find a solid sync level on my XRGB mini that it seems happy with. I'll get a frame stutter or sync artifact for a frame every minute or so. I'd been using a SCART that syncs on composite video. In theory I either rotate the amp, or use a SCART that uses csync (which I do have lying around) and it should be happier?

RAZO
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM

I don't blame you bro. I would just put my time into something else and just sell whatever you have left in stock. It sucks because it's a great product but trying to please these rgb super nerds is impossible.

You did the right thing by adding rgb video output to the device but looking back at it now, you should have just left it out and let these rgb guys use their own rgb mods on their consoles. It probably would have saved you money and headaches.

That being said, I'm very happy with my purchase and think the video looks great.

DoDonpachi
04-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I don't blame you bro. I would just put my time into something else and just sell whatever you have left in stock. It sucks because it's a great product but trying to please these rgb super nerds is impossible.

You did the right thing by adding rgb video output to the device but looking back at it now, you should have just left it out and let these rgb guys use their own rgb mods on their consoles. It probably would have saved you money and headaches.

That being said, I'm very happy with my purchase and think the video looks great.

+1 for EVERY word!

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
If there's a way to route the CD audio out (which is the one aspect that the SSDS3 requires the MD2 port for) in a way that doesn't get interference from the SD card reads, you could satisfy the RGB nerds, while non-nerds could get an acceptable audio and video out solution. Assuming that the composite video as sync is fixed by the cap flip for those using HD Retrovision cables.

takeshi385
04-04-2018, 12:02 PM
I don't have any issues with rgb on my end or audio. I don't understand what people are talking about. This is a great product and I haven't had any issues. I also use a custom made sony power supply. I will still never get over all the people bitching about wantin to use normal genesis 2 cable because removing the components from the cable is toooooooo haaaaaaarrrrrdd.

Rot
04-04-2018, 12:15 PM
I don't have any issues with rgb on my end or audio. I don't understand what people are talking about. This is a great product and I haven't had any issues. I also use a custom made sony power supply. I will still never get over all the people bitching about wantin to use normal genesis 2 cable because removing the components from the cable is toooooooo haaaaaaarrrrrdd.

Nerds be nerds.... they complain about ANYTHING....

ZOMG... someone has created a device for a DEAD system... let's not say thank you... let's bitch....

Postage is slow... where is my shit...
The item won't work because I modded the shit out of my console...
Z'OMG... RGB aint perfect....

WELL... time for some of you fucks to grow up some....

NEXT time... invest your own money... and make something...

xROTx

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Well, I think if you were experiencing the issues, you'd understand why folks are concerned. The community came together to help ID and fix the previous issues, and I'm confident they can do that again. There are enough of them--and they're varied--that it requires a concerted, collaborative effort. For reference, I'm experiencing problems on an unmodded, original device plugged straight into the TV. Alex and his team have done a lot of hard work and there are a lot of factors that make thoroughly testing it nigh impossible.

opt2not
04-04-2018, 01:17 PM
It's worse that just RGB nerdism. It's guys being super anal about 2 or 3 games that have a bit of noise on solid colored screens (which is also stage dependent). It's not really worth jeopardizing a 3rd run of this product, and all future sales for a couple of these games.

If I were TO, I'd just continue selling the rev.2 boards, and just write a disclaimer on the sales page that there are "compatibility issues" with certain games as well as comp-video output. Many of these hobby products out there on the market have these compatibility problems that are mentioned up-front and people still clamber onto them.

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 01:22 PM
It's worse that just RGB nerdism. It's guys being super anal about 2 or 3 games that have a bit of noise on solid colored screens (which is also stage dependent). It's not really worth jeopardizing a 3rd run of this product, and all future sales for a couple of these games.

If I were TO, I'd just continue selling the rev.2 boards, and just write a disclaimer on the sales page that there are "compatibility issues" with certain games as well as comp-video output. Many of these hobby products out there on the market have these compatibility problems that are mentioned up-front and people still clamber onto them.

That's not an accurate depiction of the problem. The audio buzz--which is something Alex said he's having his team work on--happens across all games. A number of people are seeing noise in more than just 2-3 games. All HD Retrovision cables use composite video as sync, so quite a few people can be impacted.

There are real problems here, but they are solvable. But don't whitewash it or blame it on the vocal minority.

nevets14
04-04-2018, 01:47 PM
That's not an accurate depiction of the problem. The audio buzz--which is something Alex said he's having his team work on--happens across all games. A number of people are seeing noise in more than just 2-3 games. All HD Retrovision cables use composite video as sync, so quite a few people can be impacted.

There are real problems here, but they are solvable. But don't whitewash it or blame it on the vocal minority.

Second this. The SD card buzz is a very real issue. It's especially bad in games that have a lot of mellow music like Dungeon Explorer 2, where the buzz can be heard against the music.

Rot
04-04-2018, 01:55 PM
But don't whitewash it or blame it on the vocal minority.

You know... the thing about that is....

I don't give a flying FUCK... if you're a majority... or a minority...

I shall aportion any blame i fuckin' want too... wanna argue the point?

opt2not
04-04-2018, 02:03 PM

It was stated they're working on a software solution for the audio-buzz. This most likely won't need a hardware revision.

Name me all the games people are complaining about.

You're saying the real problems are solvable, is it without doing another hardware revision? Because it sounds like that will break neosd and TO from continuing to supply this awesome product.

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
This was the comment I was referring to as whitewashing: "It's guys being super anal about 2 or 3 games that have a bit of noise on solid colored screens (which is also stage dependent)."

I'm saying that this thing has more problems than just those 2-3 games. We should be honest about those issues and not ignore them. Collaborate to find a way around them, because at its heart this is a great product.

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 02:08 PM
It was stated they're working on a software solution for the audio-buzz. This most likely won't need a hardware revision.

Name me all the games people are complaining about.

You're saying the real problems are solvable, is it without doing another hardware revision? Because it sounds like that will break neosd and TO from continuing to supply this awesome product.

You bring up a good point: I've been taking it at face-value that it's more than 2-3 games based on others' comments. As I'm not experiencing the visual noise myself, I can't speak to those. Let's find out the scope of these issues. Can people post pictures of the visual interference on games besides Dungeon Explorer and Valis II?

opt2not
04-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Still waiting on that list of games.

Rot
04-04-2018, 02:11 PM
You know... the thing here is I look at Terraonion buliding a new site...

And I know what's going to happen... 24/7 bitching.... and Alex doesn't see that...

"Z'OMG... we must be nice to people..."

WELL... here's the thingy... I am waiting for the new Terraonion forum... and I will consider moving these threads out of here and delete this forum...

I will then start a new plan of actively finding the people who irritated me... and killing them off...

You never post outside these forums anyway so no mother fucker is going to miss you...

xROTx

RAZO
04-04-2018, 02:22 PM
You know... the thing here is I look at Terraonion buliding a new site...

And I know what's going to happen... 24/7 bitching.... and Alex doesn't see that...

"Z'OMG... we must be nice to people..."

xROTx

This

Syn
04-04-2018, 02:27 PM
There are people who aren't having problems either. I had to get another cable, no problem. I've bought cables for my other systems so what's another?

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 02:30 PM
There are people who aren't having problems either. I had to get another cable, no problem. I've bought cables for my other systems so what's another?

See, that might be another angle. I looked back and you couldn't remember where you got your cable from. Were you able to track down the eBay records to find out who provided it? Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree with PackAPunch cables.

Rot
04-04-2018, 02:32 PM

Nets entitlement to bitch...

I am off a generation where I find a solution... and appreciate the big picture...

This new stream of "me me me"... type shit is pissing me off...

This is NOT facebook... This is NOT Twitter... This is NOT a democracy...

There is a logout button... use it if you're unhappy with how it is...

I will drive these fuckers to Alex's new forum... because here, on Ng.com... I will impose MY values on the forum... and NOT what the New generation of entitled gamers want to this place to be...

xROTx

Syn
04-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Retro-access scart, OSSC, Vizio 50"

Retro-access JP 21, xrgb3, Samsung 40"

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Not to get too off topic, but the reason I have been coming to the NG forums for more than a decade has been less about participating and more about learning. I had no idea of the depth that some games had--how to melee for gems, health, and high scores in Shock Troopers, how to pull of some amazing moves in the fighting games, etc. I've come here regularly to bask in what the experts know. But I do appreciate that you've setup an area on the forum for Terra Onion tech discussions.

pixeljunkie
04-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Nets entitlement to bitch...

I am off a generation where I find a solution... and appreciate the big picture...

This new stream of "me me me"... type shit is pissing me off...

This is NOT facebook... This is NOT Twitter... This is NOT a democracy...

There is a logout button... use it if you're unhappy with how it is...

I will drive these fuckers to Alex's new forum... because here, on Ng.com... I will impose MY values on the forum... and NOT what the New generation of entitled gamers want to this place to be...

xROTx

The fact that the swarms of people bitching all have super low post counts adds to the annoyance. Remember the days of people paying tons of money to get some shitty SNES copier with floppy disks and low compatibility? And you were just stoked to have something that even DID THIS?! No, they probably don't because they're too young or - god, I dunno' what. Such a botched abortion of internet shooting itself in the foot the second it gets something cool. Nerds do this shit with movies too, nowhere is safe.

Rot
04-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Not to get too off topic, but the reason I have been coming to the NG forums for more than a decade has been less about participating and more about learning. I had no idea of the depth that some games had--how to melee for gems, health, and high scores in Shock Troopers, how to pull of some amazing moves in the fighting games, etc. I've come here regularly to bask in what the experts know. But I do appreciate that you've setup an area on the forum for Terra Onion tech discussions.

How about you learn when one of the most irritable mods has you in his sights...

PFFT... lurking... learning...

The forum is here because it is kept alive about people who contribute and care...

Your post is invalid in it's argument... You might as well say "I would vote... but you know... I like watching the news and learning Politics... why should i bother to make my vote count"....

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 03:00 PM
I didn't come here for a fight; I came here to try and figure out a solution to my audio buzz. Other people are having this and further issues. I will continue to look into solutions.

Rot
04-04-2018, 03:06 PM
I didn't come here for a fight; I came here to try and figure out a solution to my audio buzz. Other people are having this and further issues. I will continue to look into solutions.

You're on Ng.com... after your 13 years "lurking and learning"... did you not consider the possibility that ONE day... you might piss off the wrong guy?

AND... if you had in ANY way read the forum.. i am defo the wrong guy....

Looking for a fight? I don't think it'd be much of a fight to be honest... I've taken on the entire forum... I'm pretty sure I can handle a "lurking learning" AI machine...

Syn
04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
There's never a good time to bug Rot but now is one of the poorer times. Rot and others see neosd stressed over the current situation and know he needs rest. Everyone is aware of the buzzing so let's await a response.

Some people have said they're going to flip the capacitor, let's here their results. I have made a thread for working setups.

I'd rather try to help in whatever way possible.

SavagePencil
04-04-2018, 03:41 PM
There's never a good time to bug Rot but now is one of the poorer times. Rot and others see neosd stressed over the current situation and know he needs rest. Everyone is aware of the buzzing so let's await a response.

Some people have said they're going to flip the capacitor, let's here their results. I have made a thread for working setups.

I'd rather try to help in whatever way possible.

Good points.

From your earlier comment, you said you're using retro accessories SCART cables. Are those plain ol' vanilla ones, or did you get the shielded ones?

nevets14
04-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Good points.

From your earlier comment, you said you're using retro accessories SCART cables. Are those plain ol' vanilla ones, or did you get the shielded ones?

I've tried 2 different Gen2 retro accessories SCART cables(one boosted sync the other just standard both shielded I believe), both produce buzz. I've also tried just a standard composite cable, also produced buzz.