PDA

View Full Version : Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

neosd
10-22-2017, 04:30 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have decided to start a new thread to discuss about our new product(s).

I will start quoting the last commend on "the other thread"

I also believe the NeoSD has proven that even within a very niche market there is a demand for FPGA-based products, and that they can be profitably made. (I assume the NeoSD hasn't taken the team to the poorhouse, since they're still coming up with new products.)

This is harder to understand if you donīt see the internals of the company.

We have made money with NEOSD but we havenīt earned money with NEOSD.

We had to hire and pay a lot of people for pcb design, fpga coding and other tasks such as mold design.
Then we have produced in Spain with high quality pcbs and high IC prices. Producing in China not only lowers the pcb and SMT soldering but also the ics are cheaper there, while lowering the pcb and soldering quality aswel ...

Sum to that the pile of taxes we pay. About 50% of what we sell goes there : VAT (only in Europe), Compnay taxes and such things

Our plan for the first year was to invest everything back in new products and so we did.

So where this all goes ? If we want to keep developing, we need to make money and if we want to make money we have to make products that as much people as possible want. As bigger the market is for a product as cheaper we can sell it and save costs while producing it aswel. As more units you produce better prices you can get buying ics, pcbs, mounting those at factory and so.

Resuming, we are about to start on our seccond company year and our goal is to make the company profitable to be able to develop bigger things. So far we have spent 1,5 years working in one project that we still donīt know if it will work (and if we will get our investment back, time and money).

So for now, NEODEV and myself keep putting our time and NEOSDīs money on Terraonion while paying everyone else. Our pockets have the same money as the day we started selling NEOSD, we are ok with that cause only one year passed but if we canīt make the company profitable in 3 years we will have to think in a different task where to put our time at, you just canīt keep working for free you entire life for more than you love what you work at.

I really feel that with our current team we can build anything we or you can imagine. The big issue here is that our resources are limited, so to me the challenge here is not only choose what product to develop to maximize sales, but also to find more skilled people to join our company so we can grow.

BTW this dosenīt means we are not developing niche devices such as NEOSD, cause we are right now, but we need to sell more units than NEOSD did, this is a fact.

Just remember, we are not some forums guys trying to make some device to fast proffit while we have a “real life job” that pays the bills. Selling those fast, not paying taxes an not paying people to develop it. Not investing in production, paying the entire production with preorders. This is how one makes money guys, not spending a single cent and not paying taxes.

Our approach has always been different : to build a company and make it grow, while developing nice things.

Alex,

donluca
10-22-2017, 05:34 AM
Thanks for sharing this. One thing I love about your company is how transparent you've always been about what's happening and what you've been through.

Best of luck with your new products, I really hope they'll sell well and you can make a nice profit out of it (you deserve it), hopefully without inflating the final product's price too much. Although there are people passionate about arcade gaming with (very) deep pockets, some of us have to make sacrifices and choose wisely where to put their money.

Since when you announced that you were working on "other things", I've started saving money day by day for the moment when your new device will be made public, and resisted the temptation to just go the DS way because you've shown with NeoSD that your products are nothing short of outstanding and set a new bar for quality in multi systems.

Keep it up.

TikTekTak
10-22-2017, 06:37 AM
What exactly is the point of this thread? What are you trying to tell us? :scratch:

neosd
10-22-2017, 06:43 AM
What exactly is the point of this thread? What are you trying to tell us? :scratch:

To not expect a product for a system that has 5 games as some guys have asked for on the "other thread". Atleast for some time.

While open a discusion about what you would guys want , based on the previous parameters , for the next year(s)

joala
10-22-2017, 06:48 AM
When will the new product announcement be? Will it be in this thread?

neosd
10-22-2017, 06:53 AM
When will the new product announcement be? Will it be in this thread?

We are waiting for shells and pcbs, it's hard to say but in about 4 weeks I Think, we would like to open sales the same day we have stock/we present it
But this may change,

Btw some users in this forum already saw a video of the device working and know all the details

joala
10-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Well its certainly not common knowledge yet (unless I've missed something freaking obvious)

Rot
10-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Well its certainly not common knowledge yet (unless I've missed something freaking obvious)

It's a kettle that plays CPS 3 games...

That's the big reveal...

xROTx

neosd
10-22-2017, 07:34 AM

You are right, its not. The ones who saw the video promissed not to disclose the details until we make the anouncement.

We are holding the anouncement until we have final factory produced pcbs. Its not the same to show a "hand made soldered" prototype than show the final product,

This is the reason why we havenīt disclossed it, we wonīt confuse customers thinking this is a hand made device and so. Once you show a picture or a video you canīt controll where the source was ...

joala
10-22-2017, 07:44 AM

xROTx

Two sugars in mine :lolz:

You are right, its not. The ones who saw the video promissed not to disclose the details until we make the anouncement.

We are holding the anouncement until we have final factory produced pcbs. Its not the same to show a "hand made soldered" prototype than show the final product,

This is the reason why we havenīt disclossed it, we wonīt confuse customers thinking this is a hand made device and so. Once you show a picture or a video you canīt controll where the source was ...

Fair enough, waiting with bated breath here... :drool_2:

GadgetUK
10-22-2017, 08:53 AM
I think that's a good post! I see a lot of expectations from people - which we know for fact you COULD meet (anything is possible, its just time and money), but as you've said, you clearly need to focus initially on the right products in order that the company can grow. And therefore some of us might be disappointed that our fav arcade board has been skipped over this time around. But on the flip side I feel like an amazing product is waiting never the less! I am super exited for the reveal because knowing the attention to detail you guys apply to your products and knowing how you like to focus on amazing products that might feel out of the reach or too complicated for most other developers, this is going to be something special again =D

ShootTheCore
10-22-2017, 10:55 AM
In terms of developing a retro video gaming product that would sell in bigger numbers than NeoSD, I think you should look more at FPGA console clones with 1080p HDMI output. The Analog NES and SNES FPGA clones are getting a lot of attention right now, as are the Nintendo-made NES and SNES Minis. But there are a lot of Sega and NEC enthusiasts that would be interested in a similar quality FPGA solution for Genesis and TurboGrafx / PC Engine - especially if it also had analog outputs, wireless controllers, and the ability to run either original carts or ROMs from an SD card.

One more completely different suggestion-a 4K gaming upscaler along the lines of the 1080p Framemeister and OSSC.

heihachi
10-22-2017, 11:28 AM
I think something for PSX/Saturn/Dreamcast would have the biggest untapped markets at this point. The original disc drives for these kinda suck and I don't think are any great alternatives to original hardware. PS4 still doesn't support PSX emulation ffs. I don't know if it's even technically realistic or even possible, but an FPGA box with a drive that could play PSX discs or even just .isos could be very successful.

fenikso
10-22-2017, 11:40 AM
I have to admit a new PCE/TG-16 console, region free, and outputting 1080P would be tits. You could release the console one year, and a multi speed CD unit the next.

That being said... I haven't purchased any everdrives, and now that I've experienced the Terraonion quality first-hand, I'll be waiting until you release all the '*SD' carts until I buy such a thing for a system.

egg_sanwich
10-22-2017, 11:49 AM
I really hope it isn't a console clone. Yeah I understand the need to sell volume, which a niche market can't necessarily support, but I'm really hoping for something arcade related.

sr20det510
10-22-2017, 11:54 AM
I have to admit a new PCE/TG-16 console, region free, and outputting 1080P would be tits. You could release the console one year, and a multi speed CD unit the next.

That being said... I haven't purchased any everdrives, and now that I've experienced the Terraonion quality first-hand, I'll be waiting until you release all the '*SD' carts until I buy such a thing for a system.

That sounds awesome!

sr20det510
10-22-2017, 11:58 AM
I think something for PSX/Saturn/Dreamcast would have the biggest untapped markets at this point. The original disc drives for these kinda suck and I don't think are any great alternatives to original hardware. PS4 still doesn't support PSX emulation ffs. I don't know if it's even technically realistic or even possible, but an FPGA box with a drive that could play PSX discs or even just .isos could be very successful.

Saturn had over 1200 games produced in Japan, so it meets Terraonion's more than 5 game rule!!

Whatever it is it should kick ass!!

massimiliano
10-22-2017, 12:21 PM
IMO, now, after NeoGeo, FPGA-based CPS1 and CPS2 multi (better if all-in-one)without patched roms, are the elephant in the room... I don't get the molding comment from neosd though, as it makes more sense for cartdridge-based hardware...(frankly I doubt a console clone).
...RAM-based, plastic shell...I wonder what is that really!

Morden
10-22-2017, 01:08 PM

It suicides once the temperature drops below 45°C. To bring it to life, you need to buy resurrection tokens. It's a sustainable business model. I get it.

To not expect a product for a system that has 5 games as some guys have asked for on the "other thread".

So we're definitely not getting a Taito FX-1A multi, but there's still hope for a Taito F2! On a serious note, though, CPS + Q Sound equals 30 games, things are looking good. PGM is also 30 something, plus cartridge conversions, like Ketsui. I'm not losing hope!

Shipwreck_00
10-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Possibly a NGPC adapter for the AES????

fenikso
10-22-2017, 01:58 PM
I agree a console clone is unlikely, but the thread is about what we'd like to see, so I'll keep hope alive, inside, if not reality.

GadgetUK
10-22-2017, 02:01 PM
I hope they never release a replacement console since those just dont interest me at all! Yes I get the HDMI output, but surely a better product would be something that can provide HDMI out for original hardware, or convert RGB to HDMI like the OSSC / framemeister etc. The market is full of those FPGA based consoles. Emulation is already there on HD on whatever device you want - PC, phone, Rasberry Pi etc.

RevQuixo
10-22-2017, 02:08 PM
A more accessible/available (ie not Darksoft) ST-V, F3 or CPS2 multi would be right up my alley.

CORY
10-22-2017, 02:14 PM
IMO, now, after NeoGeo, FPGA-based CPS1 and CPS2 multi (better if all-in-one)without patched roms, are the elephant in the room...

I would buy that in a heartbeat but I think they should also offer a consolized version as well to reach a bigger audience and make some money for future projects.

Morden
10-22-2017, 04:13 PM
I would buy that in a heartbeat but I think they should also offer a consolized version as well to reach a bigger audience and make some money for future projects.

You mean a consolized version of a CPS + CPS2 multi, all in one? This never happening aside, what bigger audience? It wouldn't be anywhere near $80 you'd pay for a SNES mini, or $190 for Super NT. In fact, it would probably cost more that whopping $450 Analogue is asking for NT Mini. Arcade fanatics are willing to pay high prices, because single PCBs can cost more than that, but it's not exactly a hobby for the masses. You'll either have to be dedicated to your hobby, or be a Mr. Goldbar Moneybags.

Razoola
10-22-2017, 04:16 PM
I hope they never release a replacement console since those just dont interest me at all! Yes I get the HDMI output, but surely a better product would be something that can provide HDMI out for original hardware, or convert RGB to HDMI like the OSSC / framemeister etc. The market is full of those FPGA based consoles. Emulation is already there on HD on whatever device you want - PC, phone, Rasberry Pi etc.

I'm with you on this.... Well that is unless they are officially approached by a console maker to do one. A 4k RGB upscaler using HDMI would be super cool although there are also licence fees / royalities to use HDMI I think.

kaironman
10-22-2017, 04:47 PM
I don't really know what to expect... You say that you want to makey money with this second project, so to make a guess, I would discard any arcade related product... But you are generating hype in a arcade-related forum... Neo Geo is one of the most famous arcade platforms, and you say that you have not earned too much money with it, so thinking that you're developing something similar for CPS1-2...

Looking fordward to you news.

donluca
10-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Since this is kind of a "what would you guys like to see released" thread, I think I'll just post straight away what I'd love to see next.

From the one I'd like the most to the one I can still live without:

1 - CPS1 Multicart (those are impossible to obtain since aje_fr has stopped making them)
2 - CPS2 Multicart (DS has made a new batch, but still I don't want to kill a good cart for it)
3 - Taito F3 Multicart (again, DS has made one, but I prefer to wait to see what you guys come up with)
4 - FPGA system CAVE multi (with hardware to rotate video (480i), so you can play without rotating your monitor)
5 - FPGA system Toaplan (same as above)
6 - FPGA system Konami GX Multi (same as above, but again, there are some games in there which go for crazy prices)
7 - FPGA system Irem M92 Multi (very few games, but if made compatible with R-Type and R-Type 2 maybe it would gather enough interest)

neosd
10-22-2017, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, this is being a pretty nice discussion, and this is what i pretended while starting this thread.

We are already emulating chips on FPGAS, this is no news cause we alredy talked about this in the past. But we are emulating chips that have a reason to be emulated, those you canīt buy for example, or some chips that you can buy but you have free space on the FPGA you need for another task, so we integrate both into the fpga to save money. I am not exactly talking about what we have done in NEOSD but about bigger things we have been working at on the last months.

My own personal opinion as gamer, freak or whatever you want to name it, about emulating chips on FPGAS is that you do it when there is a real reason to do it.

I mean, in the 80s we had cloned NES cause an original NES was expensive (atleast here) and clones were cheaper. Now there are flashcarts for the NES or almost any other systems and those consoles are afforable. What are the advantages of cloning a console while 99% of the casual gamers will buy a NES mini for the plastic and will not care about how the games run there ?

Is it worth to make a FPGA NES just to get a perfect hdmi out ? To myself is hard to justify the amount of work needed to do so. While you can make a nes emulator in one week, you may need 20 weeks to make the same thing into a FPGA.

Maybe i canīt see this niche where some people are willing to pay 400 euros for a proper hdmi output, neither i think this is the path we should take, but i may be wrong.

I don't really know what to expect... You say that you want to makey money with this second project, so to make a guess, I would discard any arcade related product... But you are generating hype in a arcade-related forum... Neo Geo is one of the most famous arcade platforms, and you say that you have not earned too much money with it, so thinking that you're developing something similar for CPS1-2...

Looking fordward to you news.

The lineup for the the next year (from now until September 2018) is already decided and we are already working at it.
Those are 4 projects, one is finished the other 3 are in different stages, we got prototypes for all of those. There are arcade products on this list.
I stated that we need to sell more than what we sold with NEOSD and this is a fact but there is also a fact that NEOSD was harder to develop than most of the remaining arcade things that you guys have named.

What we have to decide now is where to put our efforts at, once we have finished those. Cause sooner or latter we are closing projects.

This is what this discussion is about, i donīt pretend to create hype about the product we are going to anounce next month, i just want to listen others as i already know what i think about what we should work at.

Morden
10-22-2017, 05:05 PM
there are also licence fees / royalities to use HDMI I think.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of low cost, hobbyist products using HDMI. The license fee alone is $10K, plus royalities. The second cost may vary, depending on inclusion of the HDMI logo [which is considered to be promoting the brand, and actually lowers the cost, but in turn requires official approval and standard compliance testing], but that's a lot of money. I don't think people making things like HDMI modules for N64 are paying to be adopters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it worth to make a FPGA NES just to get a perfect hdmi out ? To myself is hard to justify the amount of work needed to do so.

It's not. I think most of people in here will agree, seeing as they're investing in Framemeisters and OSSCs, and these aren't exactly cheap, either. Plus, a scaler is just device for all of your consoles. As long as you can get an RGB signal out, you're set. Why invest precious time and resources into cloning something that is widely available? Anyone can get a NES or a SNES, get that sweet RGB signal, run it through a scaler and boom, you're set. People in here invest in CRTs and actual cabinets. Who wants a clone when you can have the real deal?

What we have to decide now is where to put our efforts at once we have finished those, cause sooner or latter we are closing projects. This is what this discussion is about, i donīt pretend to create hype about the product we are going to anounce next month, i just want to listen others as i already know what i think about what we should work at.

Looking at both threads, it's pretty clear everyone has a hard-on for that CPS QSound multi. And then there's me, wishing for that PGM cartridge. Not saying I want it more than CPS QSound, though. If this is one of the projects, you might just as well put me on the list right now.

Razoola
10-22-2017, 05:14 PM
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of low cost, hobbyist products using HDMI. The license fee alone is $10K, plus royalities. The second cost may vary, depending on inclusion of the HDMI logo [which is considered to be promoting the brand, and actually lowers the cost, but in turn requires official approval and standard compliance testing], but that's a lot of money. I don't think people making things like HDMI modules for N64 are paying to be adopters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure how others handle HDMI fees but given terraonion is a company it would be very short sighted to release something using HDMI without paying the accoiated costs with that.

Given how it gets harder every year to get consoles to show on todays TV's... Imagine a 4k upscaler.... In theory it could also have 4 inputs and display 4 oldschool consoles on one large 4k panel at the same time, or take advantage of 3D tv to display 2 player 2 screen arcade games on a single screen.

VGC1612
10-22-2017, 05:18 PM
What about a Toaplan Version 2 multicart?

massimiliano
10-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Since this is kind of a "what would you guys like to see released" thread, I think I'll just post straight away what I'd love to see next.

From the one I'd like the most to the one I can still live without:

1 - CPS1 Multicart (those are impossible to obtain since aje_fr has stopped making them)
2 - CPS2 Multicart (DS has made a new batch, but still I don't want to kill a good cart for it)
3 - Taito F3 Multicart (again, DS has made one, but I prefer to wait to see what you guys come up with)
4 - FPGA system CAVE multi (with hardware to rotate video (480i), so you can play without rotating your monitor)
5 - FPGA system Toaplan (same as above)
6 - FPGA system Konami GX Multi (same as above, but again, there are some games in there which go for crazy prices)
7 - FPGA system Irem M92 Multi (very few games, but if made compatible with R-Type and R-Type 2 maybe it would gather enough interest)

+1, this was exactly my lineup as well (but I'd like to trade the TF3 for a system 16 maybe)

edit:
a de-facto system cloning, poses few questions about how legal some of these may actually be (not sure, is 20years a limit also in the above mentioned cases?)..given terraonion is indeed a serious company, and not a hack-a-job, I guess anything which could potentially lead to a C&D or even a lawsuit, could be implicitly discarded from the list.

Morden
10-22-2017, 05:31 PM
or take advantage of 3D tv to display 2 player 2 screen arcade games on a single screen.

Are we talking about interlacing of two images and using pairs of differently polarized glasses, so that each player can only see one of the images? That's something Sony tried going for during the PS3 era. This could also be achieved with split-screen games on a 3D TV. In fact, this is something I have experimented with. I bought cheap polarized glasses just to butcher them for this, and it worked like a charm.

Too bad newer TVs seem to be getting rid of 3D and going for 4K, which is weird given the fact that 3D BluRay movies are still coming out, and will continue to do so.

What about a Toaplan Version 2 multicart?

A man can dream! There's more than five games for it, so who knows? Still, how would that work? You'd need one of these boards. Are all of them compatible with one another? I don't know much about conversions for this particular layout.

Razoola
10-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Are we talking about interlacing of two images and using pairs of differently polarized glasses, so that each player can only see one of the images? That's something Sony tried going for during the PS3 era. This could also be achieved with split-screen games on a 3D TV. In fact, this is something I have experimented with. I bought cheap polarized glasses just to butcher them for this, and it worked like a charm.

Too bad newer TVs seem to be getting rid of 3D and going for 4K, which is weird given the fact that 3D BluRay movies are still coming out, and will continue to do so.

A man can dream! There's more than five games for it, so who knows? Still, how would that work? You'd need one of these boards. Are all of them compatible with one another? I don't know much about conversions for this particular layout.

Yes, thats what Im talking about.... Something like hooking up 2 daytona's to a single upscaler that outputs using the HDMI 3D spec to a TV (one player in each eye).

kuze
10-22-2017, 06:31 PM
CV1K repro plz :-J

Niko
10-22-2017, 06:38 PM
I think a proper FPGA multi arcade machine system would be the best way to target multiple markets. Especially if it could double as something you could put into an arcade cabinet or hookup to a TV.

Theres alot of demand for things like the Pandora's Box. But the cheap Chinese solutions always leave alot to be desired.

Syn
10-22-2017, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't mind an Atomiswave multi.

NeoHomeBrew
10-22-2017, 07:56 PM
A device which connects the Neo-Geo system hardware to the internet and enables online gaming would be amazing.

F4U57
10-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to the CPS1 Multi.

Calling it ;)

ekorz
10-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Multi carts: cps1, system16, m92

You want to do FPGA? How about something that plays all the PlayStation-based arcade hardware. Boom:

Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani System 573 Analog
Konami Bemani System 573 Digital
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Konami System 573 Satellite Terminal
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System
...and (fuck it) primal rage 2

fenikso
10-22-2017, 08:41 PM
I think a proper FPGA multi arcade machine system would be the best way to target multiple markets. Especially if it could double as something you could put into an arcade cabinet or hookup to a TV.

Theres alot of demand for things like the Pandora's Box. But the cheap Chinese solutions always leave alot to be desired.

Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.

RAZO
10-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Damn, I'm thinking of something that might sell better than the NeoSd and the only other arcade systems that come to mind are the cps1 and cps2. Alot of people mentioning other arcade boards like PGM, Sega 16, Toaplan, Taito etc, all those have some great games no doubt but I don't know if they would fly off the shelf.

Either way, beggers can't be choosers and if it's cool, I'll buy it. A cps1 multi would do great for sure.

CORY
10-22-2017, 11:11 PM
You mean a consolized version of a CPS + CPS2 multi, all in one? This never happening aside, what bigger audience? It wouldn't be anywhere near $80 you'd pay for a SNES mini, or $190 for Super NT. In fact, it would probably cost more that whopping $450 Analogue is asking for NT Mini. Arcade fanatics are willing to pay high prices, because single PCBs can cost more than that, but it's not exactly a hobby for the masses. You'll either have to be dedicated to your hobby, or be a Mr. Goldbar Moneybags.

Of course there would be a huge difference, you're comparing real arcade hardware to a cheap emulation box. Besides, no one expect any arcade project to compete with Nintendo stuff, clones or otherwise. That's not what I was saying.

We want neosd to make a CPS A+B combo for a reason: Capcom A boards are all dying. A lot of us have been looking for a solution for years. CPS1 A boards aren't getting any younger nor any cheaper. Very common games with working A boards have doubled in price for a reason. This is why A+B solution isn't far fetched IMO. Plus, having a ready-out-of-the-box setup would prevent any installation issue (see Darksoft's CPS multi).

Also, not all of us have the room for an arcade cab. And while some people are satisfied with emulation boxes, others would rather play on the real hardware still. I think that an all-in-one multicart version of the Capcom System Changer (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/02/feature_say_hello_to_the_cps_changer_capcoms_first _and_only_attempt_at_a_home_console) would make everyone happy. Appealing to both the arcade and the home console crowds should help the sales quite a bit, and no, I don't expect emulation box price nor Nintendo-like sales here (unless it's marketed as the Capcom version of the AES :keke:)

zouzzz
10-22-2017, 11:41 PM
A device which connects the Neo-Geo system hardware to the internet and enables online gaming would be amazing.
I love this idea.

aoiddr
10-22-2017, 11:43 PM
You want to do FPGA? How about something that plays all the PlayStation-based arcade hardware. Boom:

[...]
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani Twinkle
[...]
Konami System 573
[...]

The 573 and Twinkle hardware need CD-Rom drive replacement solutions before they need an FPGA one (ditto for the Namco 246/256). Arcade-accurate timing for rhythm games is pretty much essential if you're playing on an actual machine or using arcade-style controllers.

Nostromo
10-22-2017, 11:46 PM
I think the first thing that comes to mind would be an FPGA based Neo Geo system, with HDMI obviously. Options would be a system that allows people to play online (if technically possible and financially feasible) and an option to force the system to run at exactly 60hz for super smooth scrolling on modern systems.

There could be two versions, one with cartridge slot, and another without (to bring the price down, if it helps) - both would have inbuilt NeoSD functionality.

I wouldn't mind a system which allows me to play other arcade games such as Toki, Shadow Dancer and Ninja Gaiden, perhaps these cores would fit on the Neo Geo FPGA :)

An FPGA based PolyMega sort of device for arcades would be interesting.

I know a lot of people here are only interested in real original hardware (nothing wrong with that), but as discussed further up, some of this is getting harder to get and is becoming flakey due to age. Also, brand new hardware in FPGA form can be mass produced bringing down prices, hopefully helping TerraOnion to stay afloat, after all, if we need them to create the most niche projects for us, development has to be sustained via a number of more commercially viable products.

nam9
10-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Naomi flashcart? Throwing that one in there. Syn mentioned Atomiswave already.
Guess there has to be a reasonable amount of synergy there.

Nostromo
10-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Naomi flashcart? Throwing that one in there. Syn mentioned Atomiswave already.
Guess there has to be a reasonable amount of synergy there.

A Dreamcast to Naomi upgrade kit? :D

I think I'm getting carried away now.

theMot
10-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Fagit with hdmi output?

lachlan
10-23-2017, 03:52 AM
It has to be profitable which means it must appeal to those outside the niche yet its not an FPGA based console copy and it might be arcade related. This is a hard one.

oliverclaude
10-23-2017, 04:05 AM
...and it might be arcade related.

This just has to be arcade related. It's the only blank and interesting area for creating hardware. MAME is bound to a capable PC and is neither plug-and-play, nor consumer friendly. But unfortunately, 'arcade' is not an entity, it's a variety of miscellaneous system boards, awry frequencies and diversified resolutions. God bless this mess, but it's tough to simplify for a computer illiterate.

lachlan
10-23-2017, 04:17 AM
This just has to be arcade related. It's the only blank and interesting area for creating hardware. MAME is bound to a capable PC and is neither plug-and-play, nor consumer friendly. But unfortunately, 'arcade' is not an entity, it's a variety of miscellaneous system boards, awry frequencies and diversified resolutions. God bless this mess, but it's tough to simplify for a computer illiterate.

What about a multi game board (like pandora) that actually fucking plays games properly with a native JAMMA connector? Show me one of those that isn't a jpac/pc setup for a reasonable price and I'm wet all over.

donluca
10-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Multi carts: cps1, system16, m92

Capcom Sony ZN-1
Capcom Sony ZN-2
Konami Bemani Karaoke
Konami Bemani Twinkle
Konami GQ System
Konami GV System / Baby Phoenix
Konami System 573
Namco System 10
Namco System 11
Namco System 12
Taito FX-1A System
Taito FX-1B System
Taito G-NET System
...and (fuck it) primal rage 2

+1 on that.

About System16, I went the EPROMs + Programmer way, spent ~250€ total + 90€ for a Tetris with 5704 Rom board which is universal and can run any game.
Sure, you have to swap the chips everytime you want to change the game, but it's no deal breaker for me.

mathieu4d
10-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Possibly a NGPC adapter for the AES????

already exist (made by furrtek).

I would have really loved a pgm multi, but it doesn't fit in the 5+ game system xD
I can't figure for now what kind of project would fill a bigger gap than neosd did.
Really curious about your next announcement…

RAZO
10-23-2017, 07:14 AM
What about a multi game board (like pandora) that actually fucking plays games properly with a native JAMMA connector? Show me one of those that isn't a jpac/pc setup for a reasonable price and I'm wet all over.

I would be down for this. I've tried so many different multi boards in the past and they are all crap. The Pandors is probably the best one and thats not saying much. A multi board that runs roms at the correct frame rate and correct sound without sticking a computer in your cabinet. I guess this is easier said than done but I think eventually it will happen.

GadgetUK
10-23-2017, 08:00 AM
already exist (made by furrtek).

I would have really loved a pgm multi, but it doesn't fit in the 5+ game system xD
I can't figure for now what kind of project would fill a bigger gap than neosd did.
Really curious about your next announcement…
You're thinking of the MVS adapter, not a Neo Geo Pocket adapter for the AES.

A CPS 1 adapter for the MVS or AES - now that appeals to me lol. Just replicate CPS 1 on FPGA, and have some interface to the video audio and controller inputs. I don't think that would be possible though due to the way the neo geo handles graphics. Not sure its possible to just write to the screen in the way that would be required for anything to pass video output to the Neo Geo. Maybe it could be fooled by drawing to the ROM area where tiles are normally located or something like that. Then again all you're doing in either example is using the Neo Geo controller controller video and sound, so probably pointless. I did think about doing something similar for the Atari Lynx running 2600 games but the cart throughput isn't fast enough. Easier in that instance to recompile the games with some changes for IO and graphics.

Morden
10-23-2017, 08:00 AM
You want to do FPGA? How about something that plays all the PlayStation-based arcade hardware.

I wonder if it would be at all possible to use one of the PlayStation boards, like ZN2, and use it as a universal base for an FPGA B Board that could run as many PlayStation hardware based games as possible. Given the number of PlayStation based boards and games, this would make quite a multi. The compatibility issues, though.

The way I'm imagining this is, you take the most powerful and "complete" PlayStation A board out there, and get everything else to run on it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but given the shared architecture, would it even be possible to take Namco's System 12, and make it run not only System 11 titles, but G.Net, ZN1 and 2, and so on.

ekorz
10-23-2017, 08:13 AM
I wonder if it would be at all possible to use one of the PlayStation boards, like ZN2, and use it as a universal base for an FPGA B Board that could run as many PlayStation hardware based games as possible. Given the number of PlayStation based boards and games, this would make quite a multi. The compatibility issues, though.

The way I'm imagining this is, you take the most powerful and "complete" PlayStation A board out there, and get everything else to run on it. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but given the shared architecture, would it even be possible to take Namco's System 12, and make it run not only System 11 titles, but G.Net, ZN1 and 2, and so on.

I'd be up for that too, real hardware ftw. But I thought fpga might make it easier since the hardware is a bit all over the place. It mayyyy just be ONE "core" to get right, though, that enables most of those systems.

I'm all for Niko's idea of an FPGA pandora but that means dozens or hundreds of cores to develop.

Morden
10-23-2017, 08:36 AM
I'm all for Niko's idea of an FPGA pandora but that means dozens or hundreds of cores to develop.

Something like this would have to be a community project, like MAME. Open source, with people adding to it. There's no way one team could do all that work. A base FPGA unit, and cores developed by willing contributors. I know there are at least two independent FPGA SNES projects, which aren't related to Super NT. It seems like a waste of resources to have people doing this kind of work from scratch each time someone feels like developing a SNES clone in FPGA. Same with arcade hardware.

mathieu4d
10-23-2017, 08:48 AM
You're thinking of the MVS adapter, not a Neo Geo Pocket adapter for the AES.

I am not mistaken ;-)
Not possible to play at 2, no sound, and if i remember correctly only b&w games. But it works.
Already played with it. No clue on how many did furrtek actually do.
His mvs to aes was produced in a larger scale i suppose.

Back to the subject, something that would "normalize" arcade video signal so there is no need to toy with the geometry over and over again would be great… but not sure it fits the prerequisites of profitability :/

Razoola
10-23-2017, 09:04 AM
When I first saw pandora and well it did games I was totally underwelmed. I just though to myself how can anyone compare what that puts out as the same as the original arcade games.... Its just so dam poor. The problem here is these FPGA's are just no where near fast enough to allow emulation accurately enough to let games really play and look the same as the originals.

When you compare neogeo for example in kawaks, FBA and MAME you can instalty see how much more powerfull machine you need to get MAME doing NeoGeo at full speed compared to the others. In the same tolken MAME is by far the most accurate NeoGeo emulator out there. But even here anyone with a good eye could easily tell the difference between a NeoGeo and MAME emulation if all they could see was a video of both. For me it does not matter how good emulation is of an arcade system, its never going to be completely accurate to a level that its not noticeable when doing a complete system.

On the other side though there could be a place where FPGA emulation is helpfull. For example in playing non Qsound CPS1 games on CPS2 hardware... Because CPS2 does not have CPS1 legacy sound chips you could attach a device to the edge connector of a CPS2 'b' board and patch games to pass sound codes over that to a device emulating z80 and CPS1 sound that then outputs outputs to RCA jacks. Don't get me wrong its a little more complex than just doing that to get CPS1 games working on CPS2 hardware but it is possible.

donluca
10-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Just one thing about FPGA system repros: if you're going to do, let's say, a CPS1/2 FPGA system, then PLEASE make two separate boards.

The motherboard with the FPGA which emulates the system and the Rom Board which can be used on the real CPS1/2 motherboard.

This way people can enjoy the multi with either your emulated FPGA system or, if they have one, real hardware.

Nostromo
10-23-2017, 02:06 PM
The ROM is just... ROM. There is no FPGA rom board. Games are loaded from an Sd card slot.

Morden
10-23-2017, 02:14 PM
The motherboard with the FPGA which emulates the system and the Rom Board which can be used on the real CPS1/2 motherboard.

A ROM board as a storage medium that could be used with both CPS1 and CPS2 A boards? How would that even work?

Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need? This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.

aoiddr
10-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need?

While I do agree, what if there was a complete Net Dimm replacement option that acted like a flash cart and loaded the games faster...?

This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.

If you're not aware, someone figured out a Pi-based selector option to go with the Darksoft ST-V multi so that it works like the more recent CPS2 and F3 multi.

Rot
10-23-2017, 03:22 PM
i just got a 21 minute video of the new system...

...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

xROTx

PS. Consider me... impressed...

Niko
10-23-2017, 04:59 PM

...I have always stated... takes a lot to impress me... mainly because i'm drunk most of the time...

xROTx

Links or it didnt happen....

kthnx ;)

Syn
10-23-2017, 06:35 PM
A ROM board as a storage medium that could be used with both CPS1 and CPS2 A boards? How would that even work?

Also, some people have mentioned Atomiswave flash device and a Naomi flash device. While a flash devices for both of these would certainly be more convenient if done properly, especially with an on-screen menu, I feel that netbooting makes them redundant. Pi with the Adafruit screen is pretty much the perfect solution, and you don't even need an Atomiswave, since you can netboot everything on a Naomi. Naomi can also power the Pi straight from the filterboard. What more do we need? This is more convenient than messing around with jumpers on Darksoft's STV cartridge.

Well then just emulate everything on a pc and close the thread.

Rather than dis others suggestions, be more passionate about what you'd like. ;)

heihachi
10-23-2017, 08:40 PM

xROTx

what a tease :keke:

mjmjr25
10-23-2017, 10:56 PM
i just got a 21 minute video...

xROTx

yr welcome dood

i'm surprised she let me send it

CORY
10-23-2017, 11:15 PM
neo-geo.com sex tapes FTW :keke:

theMot
10-24-2017, 01:50 AM

xROTx

Neosd has invented a high quality single malt scotch that will retail for $9.99

Rot
10-24-2017, 02:39 AM
Links or it didnt happen....

kthnx ;)

But But... I have it on my whatsapp:(...

what a tease :keke:

...I wear Hot Pink...

yr welcome dood

i'm surprised she let me send it

...Alex is a girlie! Z'OMG... nerds UNITE in hitting on her...

neo-geo.com sex tapes FTW :keke:

...Sylvie & Xorthen.... I N . . . L U V . . .

I wish...

xROTx

PS. Neosd sure does suck at gaming... 21 minutes of getting his ass beat by the cpu...

EDIT. I also suck at gaming... but the difference is... I run ma' genitals on the games to show them who's boss...

joala
10-24-2017, 04:38 AM
Its gonna be a long ass 4 weeks....

donluca
10-24-2017, 05:35 AM

That's a sure way to get money. Fuck this arcade thing.

Morden
10-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Rather than dis others suggestions (...)

I'm not dissing other suggestions. I just don't see a multi, which can be used with CPS1 and CPS2 boards interchangeably, working from a practical standpoint. Raz mentioned adapting CPS titles to running on CPS2, but a physical device that can be plugged into both is kind of hard to imagine. Heck ... Maybe that's exactly what we're getting, which is why Rot is so impressed. I would be too if they made such a thing work.

While I do agree, what if there was a complete Net Dimm replacement option that acted like a flash cart and loaded the games faster...?

I've seen that idea being thrown around on the Darksoft forums. People seem to dig it, but I'm guessing it's people who don't already own a working NetDIMM setup, with a Pi and Adafruit. While I certainly would appreciate something like that, it would have to have some major advantages over the existing solution. I can use the same NetDIMM and the same Pi to netboot on Naomi, Naomi 2, Chihiro and Triforce. Again, this includes Atomiswave titles on Naomi.

This is pretty convenient already. Many systems require flashing the game data from a removable medium before you get to play, granted it's usually when a game is changes. Like on CPS3 or G-Net. I can have all of Naomi, Naomi 2, Chihiro, Atomiswave and Triforce games on the same microSD, and netboot away, plugging the same NetDIMM into different systems.

If there was a multiplatform cartridge that could do the same, with an on-screen menu, loading games much faster, I could see the point. However, I doubt this would be enough to convince all of Pi setup owners.

WNivek
10-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Whatever it is that Terraonion's been cooking up, I'm excited to see it. They've proven themselves more than competent with the NeoSD, so I expect their following products will continue to impress.

neosd
10-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Whatever it is that Terraonion's been cooking up, I'm excited to see it. They've proven themselves more than competent with the NeoSD, so I expect their following products will continue to impress.

This

https://s1.postimg.org/29zz7ppnv3/cooking-mama-3-portada.jpg

lachlan
10-24-2017, 02:44 PM
That's a sure way to get money. Fuck this arcade thing.

I'm down for this.

Yodd
10-24-2017, 04:57 PM
This

https://s1.postimg.org/29zz7ppnv3/cooking-mama-3-portada.jpg

:keke:

Pinball
10-24-2017, 06:07 PM
I await with interest what onion is, and will probably buy it. I bought 2 NeoSDs- AES and MVS. Playing every NeoGeo game at original, identical quality was the biggest no-brainer purchase I've seen for a while, and I'll be forever thankful to Rot for the roms.

There are many opportunities in this sphere, but copyright must be a nightmare!

neosd
10-25-2017, 08:49 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDz32ssxW5o

ShootTheCore
10-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Cooking Mama-The Arcade Experience CONFIRMED!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/546/952/684.gif

greatfunky
10-25-2017, 12:05 PM
I was more expecting this kind of cooking mama ...:lolz:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f6/f1/6f/f6f16f6f4b41d5fa735b7d533c6a5ec3--sexy-kitchen-red-heads.jpg

donluca
10-25-2017, 01:40 PM
I prefer this one (not sure if she's cooking, but what the hell):

http://i.imgur.com/2PZ67Je.jpg

Rot
10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Neosd pal... give the word....

I'll war room lock everyone that spams this thread....

xROTx

neosd
10-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Neosd pal... give the word....

I'll war room lock everyone that spams this thread....

xROTx

Rot, dont be upset cause no one is posting lady boys pictures.

Remember, patience is the master of all sciences ...

lachlan
10-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Rot, dont be upset cause no one is posting lady boys pictures.

Remember, patience is the master of all sciences ...

https://media.giphy.com/media/8g63zqQ5RPt60/giphy.gif

Syn
10-25-2017, 05:40 PM
I think 2 pics were the right amount to go with the joke and Rot made sure it didn't get out of hand.

RAZO
10-25-2017, 08:31 PM

Excellent Ad. No way would that shit fly here in the States. You Euro's get all the great ads.

Neodogg
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
That's a fantastic tag line...

wyo
10-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Fake ad, sorry.

DanAdamKOF
10-25-2017, 11:06 PM
How 'bout an ODE for NGCD? ;)

Nah I'm sure it's gonna be 100x cooler.

GadgetUK
10-26-2017, 09:40 AM
How 'bout an ODE for NGCD? ;)

Nah I'm sure it's gonna be 100x cooler.

Much cooler I think! That's a good idea for a future product though! Would make the Neo CD more appealing to a lot of people I think.

Yodd
10-26-2017, 10:16 AM

https://s1.postimg.org/4043q9urwf/ford.jpg

greatfunky
10-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Everyone here will turn crazy in waiting to find out what's the new neosd's product

Excepting Rot of course because he knows :lolz:...

neosd
10-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Everyone here will turn crazy in waiting to find out what's the new neosd's product

Excepting Rot of course because he knows :lolz:...

More people here already saw it.

I just ask for patience, we want to show the entire thing with shells, not just pcbs.

The ones who saw it, have loosen the impact of seeing a nice announcement

I really think it's worth the waiting

greatfunky
10-26-2017, 12:16 PM
More people here already saw it.

I just ask for patience, we want to show the entire thing with shells, not just pcbs.

The ones who saw it, have loosen the impact of seeing a nice announcement

I really think it's worth the waiting

From what I read , i'm confident about that , we will not be disappointed....:)

neosd
10-26-2017, 12:26 PM
From what I read , i'm confident about that , we will not be disappointed....:)

Last year the announcement/ shells it was a non stop drama.
This year we are just trying to improve that

donluca
10-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Good choice.

I prefer to see a complete product with shell and all the functionality already in there rather than a bare PCB with just basic functions.

GadgetUK
10-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Good idea lol! I was sick of hearing the moaning about the shells lol (and I know how to moan - so that shows you how bad the moaning was!!!).

nio
10-26-2017, 02:51 PM
is it for naomi?

neosd
10-26-2017, 02:55 PM
is it for naomi?

Its for everyone nio, we will sell it even to Rot if he wants one

nio
10-26-2017, 02:59 PM
haha, so its not? because you said ram i was thinking sega naomi

RAZO
10-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Boy ohh boy, some of these Noobs can get annoying. They are like kids who can't wait to open their presents on Christmas day. Just keep playing the NeoSd until then. Plenty of games in the Neo Library to keep you busy.

madman
10-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Boy ohh boy, some of these Noobs can get annoying. They are like kids who can't wait to open their presents on Christmas day. Just keep playing the NeoSd until then. Plenty of games in the Neo Library to keep you busy.

Yeah...OH NOES I CANT WAIT 4 WEEKS TO FIND OUT ABOUT SOMETHING I MAY OR MAY NOT BUY AND IN ANY CASE IVE LIVED MY ENTIRE LIFE WITHOUT IT, BUT NOW THAT I KNOW SOMETHING IS COMING I CANT LIVE WITHOUT KNOWING!!!!

lachlan
10-27-2017, 01:25 AM
haha, so its not? because you said ram i was thinking sega naomi

Look at you smarty pants think you've got it all figured out don't you?

WRONG now shut the fuck up and wait.

joala
10-27-2017, 03:09 AM
Look at you smarty pants think you've got it all figured out don't you?

WRONG now shut the fuck up and wait.

https://media.giphy.com/media/CYU3D3bQnlLIk/giphy.gif

Neodogg
10-27-2017, 05:43 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/CYU3D3bQnlLIk/giphy.gif

Dz?

xsq
10-28-2017, 05:51 AM
So... we're on page 5 here and all of the good ideas seem to have been covered. So I'll stick to the stupid ones:
NGPC RGB out!
And what about an easy way to play all the HNG64 titles?
(Two things I've wanted for a while... sadly they are financially highly unfeasible. )

Also: Terraonion rocks!

P. S.: WRONG SECTION (most likely) .

GadgetUK
10-28-2017, 06:40 AM
So... we're on page 5 here and all of the good ideas seem to have been covered. So I'll stick to the stupid ones:
NGPC RGB out!
And what about an easy way to play all the HNG64 titles?
(Two things I've wanted for a while... sadly they are financially highly unfeasible. )

Also: Terraonion rocks!

P. S.: WRONG SECTION (most likely) .

Yeah, I was hoping SainT over at RetroHQ might do that after his Jaguar SD cart. I know he was also working on HDMI output for the Atari ST too.

joala
10-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Dz?

DZ?

madman
10-28-2017, 02:33 PM
DZ?

DZ nutz.

Ricard350
10-28-2017, 03:15 PM
I would be down for a NGPC flash cart :)

Syn
10-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Another one isn't likely, NeoSD is looking for an untapped market.

madman
10-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Why not buy one of the existing NGPC flash carts?

Neodogg
10-28-2017, 08:45 PM
DZ?

DZ nutz.

Got Em....

SirRockALot
11-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Why not buy one of the existing NGPC flash carts?

The SD based one from RetroHQ has a ~6 months waiting time, would be nice to have some alternatives

xsq
11-01-2017, 10:54 AM
The SD based one from RetroHQ has a ~6 months waiting time, would be nice to have some alternatives
Do you know how many YEARS we waited for a flashcard that could hold all games at once? A few months won't kill you. You could also subscribe to the Flash Masta blog (http://www.flashmasta.com/) and purchase one of Flavors excellent cards when they become available again.

Neodogg
11-01-2017, 11:04 AM
I know you aren't going to tell what is going to be released until it's ready but can you give us what price point this new item is going to be at or at least a ball park idea?

neosd
11-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I know you aren't going to tell what is going to be released until it's ready but can you give us what price point this new item is going to be at or at least a ball park idea?

Lower than NEOSD

xsq
11-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Neodogg
11-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Lower than NEOSD

sad sad onion

leonk
11-02-2017, 02:18 PM
I know! I Know! A multicart for the CD-i !!!!

All jokes aside, I think some sort of optical drive replacement will really be big in the future. Time has shown that spinning disc consoles are not going to be as reliable as cart based ones. The really big, popular consoles are coming up in terms of being "hot". PS1, PS2, Gamecube, ...

I know that there's already for Saturn and Dreamcast .. but those have years worth of waitlists!

Morden
11-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Do you know how many YEARS we waited for a flashcard that could hold all games at once? A few months won't kill you. You could also subscribe to the Flash Masta blog (http://www.flashmasta.com/) and purchase one of Flavors excellent cards when they become available again.

Just recently, I dug up my Flashmasta cartridge, and as it turns out, it's not that excellent in 2017. It was a major pain to get it to work on x64 Win 10, and even when the software could finally detect it, it detected it as a legit game cartridge, and the write option was disables. There's really nothing easier than putting images on an SD card. Full disclosure, though. I have the earlier version of the cartridge, without the switch allowing you to store two games at once.

Still, a choice between having one or two images written to a cartridge at any given time, and having all of them on an SD card is simple. Get the SD card one. I might just get it as well, since my current unit refuses to cooperate.

gameofyou
11-02-2017, 08:59 PM
I know! I Know! A multicart for the CD-i !!!!

All jokes aside, I think some sort of optical drive replacement will really be big in the future. Time has shown that spinning disc consoles are not going to be as reliable as cart based ones. The really big, popular consoles are coming up in terms of being "hot". PS1, PS2, Gamecube, ...

I know that there's already for Saturn and Dreamcast .. but those have years worth of waitlists!
Actually, the usb-gdrom device, which plays Dreamcast games from a thumbdrive, can be ordered with no problems. I have one, and it works great. This is the one I’m talking about:
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

greedostick
11-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Can't wait for announcement! NeoSD was literally perfect.

Your initial post worries me though. Arcade products are a tough sell since it's such a niche market. I think CPS1/CPS2 is about the only thing that would have a good chance to outsell NeoSD. As much as I hate to say that, because I would love tons of NeoSD arcade related products. I feel if you delved deeper down the arcade rabbit hole it would lead to ultimate failure.

The NeoSD Modem idea is killer, as is the Cave idea.

I think the best success will be with products that are much cheaper than the NeoSD was. It was a great value for the money, but $500.00 is more than some people will ever drop. Meaning it's not pulling in many people who didn't collect Neo Geo in the first place because of the price to get in the hobby.

Anyway, I would love a PC Engine CD/SD card solution, that's easy to install. Probably wouldn't be the best sell either though.

Again, NeoSD Modem....

xsq
11-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Just recently, I dug up my Flashmasta cartridge, and as it turns out, it's not that excellent in 2017. It was a major pain to get it to work on x64 Win 10, and even when the software could finally detect it, it detected it as a legit game cartridge, and the write option was disables. [...] I have the earlier version of the cartridge, without the switch allowing you to store two games at once.
Well, that's a shame. I haven't tried with Win10 yet to be honest and I guess Flavor has a ton of other projects so it might be a while until he fixes the driver (if he gets around to it at all). You could always set up a virtual machine with an older OS/Linux (or boot Linux from a USB-stick), but that seems like a lot of hassle to get it to work. It might be different with the new model (built in USB port), but I don't have one to test. Maybe just drop Flavor a line, he might know a better work around.

supergoose
11-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Anyway, I would love a PC Engine CD/SD card solution, that's easy to install. Probably wouldn't be the best sell either though.
I would love to get my hands on a piece of hardware that plugs into the back of a regular PCE, has RGB & HDMI out and plays ISO images off of an SD card. I'm pretty sure that something like that would sell very well, actually. Not just that it would save us a ton of money on games, we also wouln'd have to worry about RGB mods, broken drives and leaking caps anymore.

Nostromo
11-03-2017, 05:15 AM
I would love to get my hands on a piece of hardware that plugs into the back of a regular PCE, has RGB & HDMI out and plays ISO images off of an SD card. I'm pretty sure that something like that would sell very well, actually. Not just that it would save us a ton of money on games, we also wouln'd have to worry about RGB mods, broken drives and leaking caps anymore.

Oh I'd love that. Not sure about the HDMI bit though. I think I rather leave that to be handled by my Framemeister. Unless digital video signal can be tapped in directly?

supergoose
11-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Yeah, HDMI isn't a must for me either but it may be easier to sell it that way.

Nostromo
11-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Yeah, HDMI isn't a must for me either but it may be easier to sell it that way.

Depends in the price as well. If it costs a lot of money it won't sell.

MattBlah
11-03-2017, 07:19 AM
I'm interested to see what Terraonion have come up with this time, but I'm not sure what I'd want to see.

I'd definitely buy some sort of NGPC player for the TV (I think xsq mentioned something along those lines previously), I can't deal with that tiny screen anymore. I doubt this would be a huge seller though, certainly not more popular than the NeoSD.

neosd
11-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Great ideas guys, its being really nice to read that.

X68
11-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Already kind of exists but is expensive/looks shonky - https://www.beep-shop.com/blog/8154/
I'd like a better pc engine everdrive, one that added arcade card fuctionality and a hardware save manager for console based saves and sd card transfer

Renmauzo
11-03-2017, 07:20 PM

AHHAHAHAHAHA!!! The BEST advert I think I've ever seen. Holy shit, that's clever :lolz:

neosd
11-10-2017, 03:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/L6wqQy0.png

MattBlah
11-10-2017, 03:15 AM
When will the teasing end?? :)

Rot
11-10-2017, 03:20 AM
When will the teasing end?? :)

Neosd is like a stripper... who only shows you a bit more flesh every time you visit...

...Consider this the fully clothed with the potential for a nipple shot... stage...

xROTx

theMot
11-10-2017, 04:17 AM
MAKE C64 GREAT AGAIN!!!

GadgetUK
11-10-2017, 05:57 AM

Love it lol!!!

neosd
11-10-2017, 05:59 AM
MAKE C64 GREAT AGAIN!!!

Long live to the TAPES !!!!

Post sponsoded by Tak

lachlan
11-10-2017, 06:02 AM
I'm setting up the tent as we speak....

in my pants

RAZO
11-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Looks Great.

neosd
Love it lol!!!

Got it in green aswel

https://s2.postimg.org/7i7alvle1/Captura_de_pantalla_2017-11-10_a_las_13.02.20.png

Rot
https://i.imgur.com/eNGYyOb.png?1

xROTx

Neodogg
11-10-2017, 08:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/eNGYyOb.png?1

xROTx

It'd have to have been great before to be again...just saying...

Rot
11-10-2017, 08:33 AM
It'd have to have been great before to be again...just saying...

LOW BLOW!

I cry foul...

xROTx

PS. Where's that yellow flag?:(...

EDIT. Oh well... I'll just war Room lock you instead Poochie... IN YOUR FACE MOFO!!!!!:D

gum_drops
11-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Make Catalonia great again is what it should say.

pixeljunkie
11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
[lights candle at altar and makes PC Engine hope prayer]

greedostick
11-10-2017, 11:28 AM
@ NeoSD

Do you think it would be possible for a neo geo device to be developed that allowed online play? If so do you think it could be AES\MVS Cross-Compatible?

RAZO
11-10-2017, 11:31 AM
@ NeoSD

Do you think it would be possible for a neo geo device to be developed that allowed online play? If so do you think it could be AES\MVS Cross-Compatible?

Xian Xi brought this up a year or so back and the majority was not interested.

RyoGeo
11-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Yeah, there are ways to do that already that are not expensive.

Also, if I want my ass paddled, I don't necessarily need to by hardware.

Well, not electronic hardware anyway . . .

greedostick
11-10-2017, 12:00 PM

I dont see it ever happening. Im jist curious if it would be possible. I think it would be more popular than a sample from here would predict. There are a lot of new young collectors on other neo groups that i think would be for the idea. A lot of the people here are just older and dont game as much as they use to. You'd be surprised at the number of people on fightcade playing Breakers online.

He would have to donate one to Metal Jesus for review.

xsq
11-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Neosd is like a stripper... who only shows you a bit more flesh every time you visit...

...Consider this the fully clothed with the potential for a nipple shot... stage...

xROTx
Where's the room for private dances? From what I read, some here have been to it already...
Whatever - I'll put some tens in his pants! Or is that just an American thing?

P.S.: Asking cause you seem to know a lot about male strippers...

RyoGeo
11-10-2017, 12:38 PM
I dont see it ever happening. Im jist curious if it would be possible. I think it would be more popular than a sample from here would predict. There are a lot of new young collectors on other neo groups that i think would be for the idea. A lot of the people here are just older and dont game as much as they use to. You'd be surprised at the number of people on fightcade playing Breakers online.

He would have to donate one to Metal Jesus for review.

That's actually what I mean though, greedo. With Fightcade, why would anyone buy hardware to do what Fightcade already does, young, old or otherwise?

Am I missing a nuance to your question?

greedostick
11-10-2017, 01:05 PM
That's actually what I mean though, greedo. With Fightcade, why would anyone buy hardware to do what Fightcade already does, young, old or otherwise?

So they didnt have to play through emulation. And just to be able to play on real hardware.

RyoGeo
11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
So they didnt have to play through emulation. And just to be able to play on real hardware.

Ah, ok. That makes sense, although, do whippersnappers care about such things anymore? I thought us old coots were the only ones to whom it mattered.

Are these godless kids becoming more cultured?

(disclaimer: there is no god)

greedostick
11-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Ah, ok. That makes sense, although, do whippersnappers care about such things anymore? I thought us old coots were the only ones to whom it mattered.

Are these godless kids becoming more cultured?

(disclaimer: there is no god)

For the most part they dont give a shit. But I think it might be different for people into fighting games due to emulator latency. I see a lot of talk in neo fb groups and the crt collective about neo geo latency with various rgb devices and television sets.

alienpdx
11-10-2017, 03:17 PM
hi guys cant wait to show off those new pixels i put in the latest terraonion product.

the cutout word is... tamagotchi ! oh damn

no just kidding.

its a flashcart for slowjuicers with p2p support.

or a cd drive addon for the NES mini made from organic herbs.

im saying too much.

neosd
11-10-2017, 03:22 PM
hi guys cant wait to show off those new pixels i put in the latest terraonion product.

no just kidding.

im saying too much.

WTF, i told you to not disclose the bluray drive for snes we are working at.

I said clear : donīt tell anyone about the Super SD Rom Station 5.

WTF !

alienpdx
11-10-2017, 03:25 PM
dont worry, nobody will find out that its actually a floppy drive for the panasonic keyboard midi accentuator

greedostick
11-10-2017, 03:29 PM
I'm hoping it's a solution to play PAL games correctly on an american Amiga.

RAZO
11-10-2017, 05:00 PM

Exactly

lachlan
11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Anything is possible but most of the ideas here have been of a 'if I want it then of course it'll sell well' quality. A hardware add-on to for the Neo to be online is just one of those ideas.

Yodd
11-10-2017, 05:31 PM
WTF, i told you to not disclose the bluray drive for snes we are working at.

I said clear : donīt tell anyone about the Super SD Rom Station 5.

WTF !

Lolz

sr20det510
11-10-2017, 06:30 PM

no just kidding.

im saying too much.

Organic goodness FTW!

greedostick
11-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Anything is possible but most of the ideas here have been of a 'if I want it then of course it'll sell well' quality. A hardware add-on to for the Neo to be online is just one of those ideas.

I don't think I said it would be a smash hit. I just think it would be more popular than perceived here since most of us are older and don't game as much. We're talking about products designed for 20+ year old hardware. What's really going to make someone rich?

Online Sam Sho 2, in RGB, on real hardware. I'd be game.

RAZO
11-10-2017, 08:14 PM
I don't think I said it would be a smash hit. I just think it would be more popular than perceived here since most of us are older and don't game as much. We're talking about products designed for 20+ year old hardware. What's really going to make someone rich?

Online Sam Sho 2, in RGB, on real hardware. I'd be game.

No Doubt Greedo, I think it would be cool to play games online on old hardware. I just don't know if it would be that popular. I mean, We have some pretty nice Neo-Geo titles available on PSN, XBL, and Fightcade and sometimes you can't even find someone online to play and these games are very affordable. So I can't see it being any better on actual hardware. Just my 2cents.

mhell06
11-11-2017, 04:15 AM
Maybe a device that let's you play online but is not hardware bound to a specific retro-console, like the Neo Geo? Something that e.g. intercepts button promts from the local player and recieves prompts from the online-opponent that is then sent to the player 2 controller port. I have no idea if it is possible/feasible at all and there have to be connectors for different controllers. The upside is of course that it could be attractive to a bigger market.

Niko
11-11-2017, 09:27 AM
I dont understand how you guys could think a device that lets you play Neo games online from real hardware would even be feasible? The lag from inputs and display would be horrendous.

Morden
11-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Maybe a device that let's you play online but is not hardware bound to a specific retro-console, like the Neo Geo? Something that e.g. intercepts button promts from the local player and recieves prompts from the online-opponent that is then sent to the player 2 controller port.

Sending controller input over internet connection has already been done. I don't remember who did this, but if memory serves, it was successfully used with a GameCube. Not that the platform matters. It's just controller data. This was before the era of Pi's and Arduinos, too.

xsq
11-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Sending controller input over internet connection has already been done. I don't remember who did this, but if memory serves, it was successfully used with a GameCube.
Was it any good?

dkarDaGobert
11-11-2017, 03:00 PM
so noone expects a nintendo virtual boy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy ) multicard?

Syn
11-11-2017, 03:05 PM
so noone expects a nintendo virtual boy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy ) multicard?

I'd buy one.

Morden
11-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Was it any good?

It definitely worked and the games were playable. It was so long ago, I don't even remember what title or titles were demonstrated, but I remember it working and being intrigued by the possibilities. Of course, this is controller input only. It was demonstrated in such a way that the person playing could still see the game screen. While sending controller signal without significant lag wouldn't be much of a problem today, the image is another story. If you're playing 2P, both players are looking at the same screen. If the other player is somewhere else, what is he looking at?

To make this work, we'd need something that would sync all of the data between two consoles, like emulators do when playing online, waiting for the other platform if there's any lag, etc. This aspect kills the whole idea, because there's no way you could stream video fast enough for the other player to enjoy the game. Besides, why would anyone want to look at a video streamed from someone else's console? Yeah, this isn't happening.

Nostromo
11-12-2017, 02:20 AM
Say Neogeo is done completely on FPGA.... Could two systems sync together via network to allow simultaneous 2 player use as if they are using the same machine? It would make all games instantly compatible and one doesn't have to stream the anything.

legolas119
11-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi guys, i’ve just discovered this project. So, it will be revealed the new product by next 10 days?

suicidekiller
11-12-2017, 10:36 AM

After measuring the obliterated space in the graphic the word in question should have six characters. So either NEOGEO or ARCADE ;)
SATURN would also be possible.

My stakes are on NEOGEO. The hint from Rot with the NeoSD team getting their ass beat sounds like fighting games = Neo Geo.

legolas119
11-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Neo geo again? They have already built NeoSD...i think that they will produc a different sustem...or not?

Rot
11-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Neo geo again? They have already built NeoSD...i think that they will produc a different sustem...or not?

One day... we're gonna have to sit down and chat about why you would post something so dumb...

xROTx

BerryTogart
11-12-2017, 10:53 AM
It says "TERRA ONION" so... the "world" and a vegetable that has a lot of layers. Network traffic also has a lot of layers - therefore I say it is a device that allows multiplayer over the net for consoles which are not designed to allow so by introducing a new version of the OSI model, putting a new Level 6 presentation layer on top of the level 5 session layer - the so called UHDACL (Ultra High Density Arcade Competition Layer).
They designed a new algorithm for this layer to allow for extreme compression in a limited color environment, which is therefore perfectly tailored for those older Arcade games.
(for those still wondering: yes, this total bullshit and I have no clue what it will be but curious as everyone else)

gum_drops
11-12-2017, 12:19 PM
After measuring the obliterated space in the graphic the word in question should have six characters. So either NEOGEO or ARCADE ;)
SATURN would also be possible.

My stakes are on NEOGEO. The hint from Rot with the NeoSD team getting their ass beat sounds like fighting games = Neo Geo.

Seven characters based on the missing space.

suicidekiller
11-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Yeah, make it NEO-GEO then. El Hyphen is important ;)

Nostromo
11-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Seven characters based on the missing space.

I bet you can fit an "I" in there as well, bringing the total to 8 letters.

wingzrow
11-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Onions make you cry. I kinda hope it's just a bumper sticker with the logo at this point.

todosnk
11-12-2017, 02:21 PM
I just hope its not a NeoGeo mini.

Yodd
11-12-2017, 03:09 PM
The guessing in this thread makes me LOL for realz.

Like watching a kid trying to determine what’s in a wrapped Christmas present by weighing and measuring it.

F4U57
11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
So when’s the drop?

Rot
11-12-2017, 04:10 PM
So when’s the drop?

Neosd says about the first week of December... he wants to make sure it's ready to go... and you don't have to wait on shells and stuff like last time..

xROTx

PS. Of course i know what it is...

...It's a device that allows you to play N64 games in your microwave....

F4U57
11-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Sign me up!

fenikso
11-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Neosd says about the first week of December... he wants to make sure it's ready to go... and you don't have to wait on shells and stuff like last time..

xROTx

Microwaving crappy N64 games is something I can get behind.

oliverclaude
11-12-2017, 04:57 PM

I already played with the thought of putting N64 games into a microwave. Quality oblige.

lachlan
11-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I already played with the thought of putting N64 games into a microwave. Quality oblige.

Let me tell you it’s the only time sparks fly.

joala
11-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Better graphics watching the microwave....:keke:

Syn
11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
If this doesn't draw madman out...

Neodogg
11-12-2017, 09:18 PM
If this doesn't draw madman out...

He'll never truly come out, if you know what I'm sayin...

Syn
11-12-2017, 09:49 PM

ssjlance
11-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Why not throw a guess in along with everybody else.

Something that plugs into the back of the TG16/PCE and allows loading of CD games from SD with a HuCard to run it.

All I know is that a user was advised against going all in on a Duo in a different thread, for one unstated reason or another, and it seems like something that would be technically possible.

Syn
11-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Why not throw a guess in along with everybody else.

Something that plugs into the back of the TG16/PCE and allows loading of CD games from SD with a HuCard to run it.

All I know is that a user was advised against going all in on a Duo in a different thread, for one unstated reason or another, and it seems like something that would be technically possible.

That's not really a guess if you've followed things. It's very probable.

Kriz hinted at it in the past and a JagCD project is coming so NeoSD doing a pce item first would / could / should be profitable.

ssjlance
11-12-2017, 10:53 PM
That's not really a guess if you've followed things. It's very probable.

Kriz hinted at it in the past and a JagCD project is coming so NeoSD doing a pce item first would / could / should be profitable.

Can't argue with that too much. All I'll say is that it was a guess based on how little I've actively looked into the matter.

If nothing else, nice to know my deduction skills aren't awful, because I really just have been waiting to see when something concrete comes out. There were just so many guesses, I felt like adding one based on the one thing I had picked up on in another thread. :lolz:

Syn
11-12-2017, 11:02 PM
Oh no, not meaning to be discouraging. In another thread someone was asking about PCE CDs and which unit to get.

Rot suggested they wait a little while. Most of us read into the statement. Too much, perhaps.

neosd
11-13-2017, 04:36 AM
I remember when i showed a video of the new product to Rot,

He didnīt even knew what system it was for

So hilarious :)

lachlan
11-13-2017, 04:39 AM

So what you're saying is that it's a flash cartridge for a North Korean console that only LoneSage can import?

neosd
11-13-2017, 04:59 AM
So what you're saying is that it's a flash cartridge for a North Korean console that only LoneSage can import?

I am saying that i am having a good time reading the coments, even this was not what we intented. We would have preffered to just show the new product and end the guesses.

Factory is finishing the mold as speaking, as soon as we have shells we will show the whole product. If we donīt have shells for the fist week of December (we should have it before btw), we will show the product and open sales.

First batch is going to be limited cause shells.
We are manufacturing shells in China (only shells, PCBS and soldering are being done in the same factories as NEOSD with the same quality). For the first batch we are going to ship those by UPS from China to Spain, this is expensive and we are only doing this to have a new product ready for christmass sales.

So the first batch will ship pretty fast but for the following batches we still have to find a cheaper way to ship the shells from China to Spain. We still donīt know the exact weight of the shells so we are waiting for that to ask for quotation.

Thanks

Rot
11-13-2017, 05:36 AM

SO... you're telling me... the videos I have are of a washing machine capable of playing NES games?

xROTx

oliverclaude
11-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Note to myself: it's about a system Rot didn't even knew it was actually a system. Hmmm... that certainly narrows things ;).

Rot
11-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Note to myself: it's about a system Rot didn't even knew it was actually a system. Hmmm... that certainly narrows things ;).

ACTUALLY... it doesn't narrow it down...

I own practically every system ever made... but as a mass hoarder... they are in storage and I only played a few systems...

I can say... i own this system... but have I played it? Nope:p

xROTx

PS. All I can say about the project is... I was mildly impressed... it should sell well and we're likely to have an influx of nubsters and "old" accounts logging back in...

oliverclaude
11-13-2017, 06:00 AM
:p

xROTx

Hahaha... I deserved that. Thanks Rot!

greatfunky
11-13-2017, 06:04 AM
Among all these suppositions, no one hit the nail on the head ! ?....

ajsbernal
11-13-2017, 06:53 AM
How to reserve??

ssjlance
11-13-2017, 07:41 AM

It's from Thailand, not Korea, but maybe we can expect a Super A'Can flashcart.

Obviously not this, of course. But actually would be pretty cool; the difficulty in tracking down games is what's always kept me from getting one of these systems.

xsq
11-13-2017, 10:05 AM
[...] it should sell well and we're likely to have an influx of nubsters and "old" accounts logging back in...
why would a PCE device flush in new blood... this gets more mysterious by the day. good.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/65395b434f235c0f06b52c9b09dbbc26/tumblr_okg3v0LsNd1s4pxl4o1_500.gif

aku
11-13-2017, 10:25 AM
make TurboGrafx 16 great again!

Neodogg
11-13-2017, 11:13 AM

so...it could be a vagina also...

suicidekiller
11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
PS. All I can say about the project is... I was mildly impressed... it should sell well and we're likely to have an influx of nubsters and "old" accounts logging back in...

So I read this statement as a clear relation to the Neo Geo (in whatever kind). Why else would old-timers log back in? For a PC-Engine kinda thing. I doubt that.

Fingers crossed for the NGPC to RGB unit.

lachlan
11-13-2017, 02:38 PM
It's from Thailand, not Korea, but maybe we can expect a Super A'Can flashcart.

Obviously not this, of course. But actually would be pretty cool; the difficulty in tracking down games is what's always kept me from getting one of these systems.

Wasn't even referring to that but sure why not.

oliverclaude
11-13-2017, 03:16 PM
so...it could be a vagina also...

They working on a Fleshlight?! This puts the following statement into a whole new perspective...

I really feel that with our current team we can build anything we or you can imagine.

neosd
11-13-2017, 03:20 PM
They working on a Fleshlight?! This puts the following statement into a whole new perspective...

Sorry, we donīt want beta testers for that, neither we have any interest on emulating such things.

ssjlance
11-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Wasn't even referring to that but sure why not.

No, I know you weren't referring to that, your post just made me think of that system; it's a relatively obscure cartridge based system from an Asian country that's not Japan.

My post was a lame attempt at a joke in response to yours, basically.

Sarumaru
11-13-2017, 06:03 PM

It's all about the Tenga..... and PC Engine. And PC Engine shaped Tengas...

Niko
11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
I'm going to guess NGCD optical drive emulator.

Kid Panda
11-13-2017, 07:49 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/65395b434f235c0f06b52c9b09dbbc26/tumblr_okg3v0LsNd1s4pxl4o1_500.gif

Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock.

coreykun667
11-14-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm going to guess NGCD optical drive emulator.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'm all for little to no load time and having NGCD games on one USB stick or SD card. Though the fact that there's gonna be a shell for it makes me think that it's not going to be that, since ones for other consoles are just bare PCBs.

Like others have said, I'm willing to bet it's an FPGA replacement for the PC Engine Super CD unit. Would make sense for casing in that situation, since it wouldn't be inside of a console. If so, I hope it'd include extra video outputs like the DB Grafx Booster.

xsq
11-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock.
yes.

//EDIT: As much as I'd like to see a NGPC RGB unit, it's more likely to be a device that lets you play NGCD roms on the MVS/AES platform. The technical possibility has been discussed before.

Syn
11-14-2017, 12:40 AM
yes.

//EDIT: As much as I'd like to see a NGPC RGB unit, it's more likely to be a device that lets you play NGCD roms on the MVS/AES platform. The technical possibility has been discussed before.

Before someone asks why, the fifth course of Neo Turf Masters.

coreykun667
11-14-2017, 12:45 AM
yes.

An RGB unit is something that's long overdue. Or an FPGA console that plays NGPC games would be fine too.

aku
11-14-2017, 01:16 AM
i thought that the new product is not neo-geo related...

i remember an old post, but did not search it...

oliverclaude
11-14-2017, 03:38 AM
Before someone asks why, the fifth course of Neo Turf Masters.

There goes my cue ;).

GadgetUK
11-14-2017, 06:50 AM
i thought that the new product is not neo-geo related...

i remember an old post, but did not search it...

It's a Gamecom SD interface that allows you to play MVS games on the gamecom!

pixeljunkie
11-14-2017, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'm all for little to no load time and having NGCD games on one USB stick or SD card. Though the fact that there's gonna be a shell for it makes me think that it's not going to be that, since ones for other consoles are just bare PCBs.

Like others have said, I'm willing to bet it's an FPGA replacement for the PC Engine Super CD unit. Would make sense for casing in that situation, since it wouldn't be inside of a console. If so, I hope it'd include extra video outputs like the DB Grafx Booster.

This would be amaze

Razoola
11-14-2017, 10:15 AM
My view on NeoGeoCD is it make more sence to make a cart that can play those games on MVS / AES (CD emulation inside the cart from SD card) than to make something just for NeoGeo CD. Many reasons for this but the the main ones being ease of install, far bigger userbase of neogeo MVS/ AES owners and the fact they (terraonion) already have a MVS/AES shell.

As for stuff on consoles, its a no brainer that any one making new devices for consoles these days should add current day video outputs into the design if it is possible without internal console modding.

dkarDaGobert
11-14-2017, 10:22 AM
as an owner of the framemeister and a diy ossc i'd love to see a third device like em.
framemeister is afaik discontinued and ossc puts out resolutions some tvs got problem with.
so what about an upscaler/scanline-generator etc. with resolutions up to 4k - i see a huge market for that. especially on the retro hype going on right now

neosd
11-14-2017, 04:32 PM
as an owner of the framemeister and a diy ossc i'd love to see a third device like em.

Just curious as i donīt own any of those, which one is better ? what are the pros and the cons of each device ?

Thanks

Syn
11-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Just curious as i donīt own any of those, which one is better ? what are the pros and the cons of each device ?

Thanks

I've owned the Mini, XRGB 3 and OSSC. The OSSC doesn't accept composite and s-video inputs which is pretty important with the older systems.

I sold the Mini, keeping the OSSC and 3 for low lag reasons.

Yodd
11-14-2017, 08:41 PM
I've owned the Mini, XRGB 3 and OSSC. The OSSC doesn't accept composite and s-video inputs which is pretty important with the older systems.

I sold the Mini, keeping the OSSC and 3 for low lag reasons.

Pretty much same here. Except I have a pair of OSSC's and the XRGB-2 for stuff requiring composite or s-video.

greedostick
11-14-2017, 10:07 PM
ACTUALLY... it doesn't narrow it down...

I own practically every system ever made... but as a mass hoarder... they are in storage and I only played a few systems...

I can say... i own this system... but have I played it? Nope:p

This is all a cover-up, so when NeoSD releases their new revision of the Custom Maid PC controller next week, you can hide the fact you have completely, and utterly ravaged the one sitting next to your PC monitor.

You will finally be able to fap away again, and just in time for Beat Your Dick December.

December 1st announcement date a coincidence? I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19DvIczLUXE

Syn
11-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Pretty much same here. Except I have a pair of OSSC's and the XRGB-2 for stuff requiring composite or s-video.

You've got the same Samsung I do, I have the 3 via vga to hdmi adapter hooked up.

massimiliano
11-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Damn, you guys convinced me, I just ordered an OSSC 1.6.

dkarDaGobert
11-15-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks
OSSC
+ no input lag
+ cheap
+ best picture on 240/288p
+ open source hw/sw project
- only VGA, Scart and Composite input
- menu only on small LCD-display
- only 5 presets, no chance to change em on pc

Framemeister
+ more inputs
+ can handle interlaced sources
+ high resolution passthrough
+ on screen menu
+ lots of settings like zoom, overscan and so on
+ up to 20 presets on sd card - editable on pc
- expensive
- input lag
- discontinued product -> no more software updates

you can add more, this list was done in 2min brainstorm..

Nostromo
11-15-2017, 11:23 AM
When I bought my Framemeister the OSSC did not come with HDMI so I went for the FM. Today, most probably I'll pick the OSSC just because it is cheaper. Having said that, in not going to bother replacing the FM as things stand at the moment, but I probably will if they make a 4K ossc.

Niko
11-15-2017, 11:30 AM
OSSC
+ no input lag
+ cheap
+ best picture on 240/288p
+ open source hw/sw project
- only VGA, Scart and Composite input
- menu only on small LCD-display
- only 5 presets, no chance to change em on pc

Framemeister
+ more inputs
+ can handle interlaced sources
+ high resolution passthrough
+ on screen menu
+ lots of settings like zoom, overscan and so on
+ up to 20 presets on sd card - editable on pc
- expensive
- input lag
- discontinued product -> no more software updates

you can add more, this list was done in 2min brainstorm..

The OSSC supports VGA, Scart, and Component. Not Composite. Also the OSSC supports interlaced sources.

ShootTheCore
11-16-2017, 01:54 AM
The OSSC also supports 10 presets, not 5.

coreykun667
11-16-2017, 02:27 AM
Wish the OSSC supported s-video though. Some consoles are an absolute pain to get RGB out of.

oliverclaude
11-16-2017, 03:50 AM
Wish the OSSC supported s-video though. Some consoles are an absolute pain to get RGB out of.

Marty, 3DO, CPS Changer... nothing important, or do I miss something here?

massimiliano
11-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Marty, 3DO, CPS Changer... nothing important, or do I miss something here?

Thinking of it, something I like about the Framemeister is the D-Port, I can plug my JPN Gamecube without need for a composite+digital cable to get RGB... but IIRC EUR GCubes have RGB straight out of the AV port, like a SuperFamicom right?

supergoose
11-16-2017, 09:02 AM
but IIRC EUR GCubes have RGB straight out of the AV port, like a SuperFamicom right?
They do.

RyoGeo
11-16-2017, 12:24 PM
The one serious question I have about the perspective do-hicky, regardless of what platform it supports:

What out does it have???
Composite!?!:eek:
SVHS?
RGB?
OR . . . clutch the pearls . . . HDMI!!!:drool:

Very curious.

Yodd
11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
RF