Rachel Maddow is a dumbass

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
She released his tax forms for 2005, shows he made money and paid taxes.

All his other released taxes show him losing serious cash and not paying any taxes.

I didn't watch the segment but how did she think she was going to spin it negatively for him.

I'd chaulk it up to a win for DJT.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I think it's a decent example of how mundane regressive taxation has become. The effective rate - given the high-level numbers from the news - is 25%. That's supposed to be the bracket for $40k-90k, not $150m. A working engineer pays a higher tax rate than a reality TV star? I'm normally happy to pay taxes, but this is under the assumption that we're all in this together.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Should be obvious that I despise Trump to the core, but this kind of stuff doesn't sit well with me.

Trump opting out of not releasing his tax information is very telling and suspicious, but regardless, it's still a private matter and his personal information he didn't wish to share.

Also not sure what the point was... didn't really show anything that wasn't already kind of expected.

Sensationalist journalism.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This thread title could have been posted every day for years and would never be more or less accurate.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Of all the reasons I dislike trump, his tax affairs aren't particularly one of them. His refusal to show them arouses suspicion, but if it is what is rumoured, i.e. he lost a billion dollars in a year a couple of decades ago and has been offsetting that since, isn't that exactly how the tax system works?

In the UK you can only carry losses forward for a limited number of years, sounds like in the US it's for longer. If that's the system, that's the system.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Of all the reasons I dislike trump, his tax affairs aren't particularly one of them. His refusal to show them arouses suspicion, but if it is what is rumoured, i.e. he lost a billion dollars in a year a couple of decades ago and has been offsetting that since, isn't that exactly how the tax system works?

In the UK you can only carry losses forward for a limited number of years, sounds like in the US it's for longer. If that's the system, that's the system.

The big problem is that he just outright refused to release them at all, then claimed hes was in the middle of being "audited."

The "norm" is that all presidential candidates release their returns, I guess in the interest of "transparency."

His voters obviously don't give a shit. For all we know he could have paid no taxes, but, again, his voters didn't care because he's "the lesser of 2 evils."

I dunno, not my life.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
150 million in income. 38 million in taxes (not counting state and property)

At that rate, it would take him nearly 100 years to stack a billion dollars.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Trump opting out of not releasing his tax information is very telling and suspicious, but regardless, it's still a private matter and his personal information he didn't wish to share..

If he was elected Dog Catcher, it would be a private matter. But he didn't run for Dog Catcher.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
She's just the left's version of Sean Hannity. I dislike pundits in general, because they're all blatantly pushing an agenda, and just serve as a source of confirmation bias for their audience.

As for Trump's tax returns, the fact that he didn't release them (and lied about the reason why not) and still got elected says more about his supporters than it does about him.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Trump not releasing his taxes is a big deal imo. And lying about why is even bigger. I don't know that much about Maddow, but it seems like a good journalistic move to share findings, even if they run counter to your previous assumptions. Hannity would NEVER do something like that.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't take much issue with the info leak. (It's protected under the 1st Amendment.)
I don't take much issue with the findings in the tax returns. (There isn't much, and we only have two pages of them. And that's why...)
I do take issue with how they freaking blew up their own social media with "BREAKING NOOZ! TAX RETURRRNNZ U GUYZ!" and hyped the crap out of what eventually turned out to be Al Capone's vault, nearly 30 years later.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My hommie got fired from his job as caddy for responding to a club member's Micro-Aggression with Macro-Aggression.

fake

15 Year Member
In hindsight, they should have announced that they had ALL of his tax returns, seeing as the White House preempted Maddow by releasing the 2015 info themselves.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I know I'm giving Trump a lot of credit here, but I feel like he purposely didn't release his taxes just so he could make this move & use it to get positive media spin. He's done this sort of thing before.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I think these shows should have to be called news entertainment, kind of how wrestling got turned into sports entertainment. Its pretty much the same kind of thing, just a lot less fun to watch. Now if one of the maybe one of the people were to pull out a folding chair and smack the other speaker I would start watching that shit.

Maybe some kind of political Jerry Springer type show. They could show shit like, my baby's daddy voted for Trump and I want a divorce. Or My child is out of control because he supports a Keynesian Economic theory and thinks entitlements should be cut, or... Prostitutes who feel deficit spending as fiscal policy, is what is needed to bolster the economy and their pimps who disagree.

fake

15 Year Member
I think in general, it's dangerous when one person has a huge amount of viewers, especially on a medium like TV, where if you tune into one thing, you're missing out on everything else. (That's less relevant with DVRs, but I don't know anyone who DVRs news shows.) That said, I don't really know how I would propose fixing this. I think the 24/7 news cycle is what got us here - cramming programming into as many 15-second slots that haven't been sold to advertisers. When you have that much time to fill, you resort to cheap tricks and sensationalism.

*ominous bell tolls*

THIS IS A FOX NEWS ALERT: Sugar tastes good.