NEO-MVH MV1-1 no video, is 5v mod required?

pollsoda

n00b
Hey,

Just picked up a NEO-MVH MV1-1, a MASSIVE 1-slot board, got it for a good price and figured I would try to do something with it.

I hooked up RGB/sync/video ground and power (via the jamma connector) like I normally do to test, but I don't get any video output, not even a crosshatch. I removed the old NiCd battery but have not put a new one in or done a 2032 mod.

Is the 5V mod required to get this board to boot? The board looks clean and I haven't found very much on this specific Neo after a few searches. There is a cap that's damaged (pulled out almost) near the "headphone" marking on the board, but that's the only obvious damage.

Does it go by a different name or is it just called an MV1?

Here's a photo:
http://imgur.com/a/mFL0h

IMG_4100.JPG

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You say the board still had its original NiCd battery and you removed it? Odds are very good the battery leaked and ate some traces on the board. That happens to nearly every MV-1 board these days.

The right trace damage can affect the connections between the 68k CPU, the Neo Geo BIOS and the Work/Backup RAM chips. If they are not all connected together, your MVS board will get the click of death, where the CPU crashes constantly on start-up as the Neo Geo chipset resets the crashed chip over and over again.

I've had MVS boards broken in this way that would not display a usable video signal. This is because often, the click of death issue happens before the MVS ever gets a chance to initialize the display frequency, so the TV can display the video properly.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The 5v mod is only for sound. It's done by connecting the 5v output of the 7805 to the primary 5v line that comes from the JAMMA edge.

Does it play blind where there is sound but no video or just completely dead? Also are you trying to consolize a non-confirmed working board?

pollsoda

n00b
The 5v mod is only for sound. It's done by connecting the 5v output of the 7805 to the primary 5v line that comes from the JAMMA edge.

Does it play blind where there is sound but no video or just completely dead? Also are you trying to consolize a non-confirmed working board?

I don't have a Jamma harness handy, so I just wired it up.

The guy I bought it from later admitted it was dead and took it back. Oh well.