PDA

View Full Version : NEOSD AES Support thread !

Pages : [1] 2

neosd
02-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone,

Now that NEOSD AES is out, its time for a support thread.

We would like to separate both AES and MVS issues/questions/sugestions.

Also, we would like that everyone reporting issues tell us his AES board model please.

Thanks

pixeljunkie
02-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Is there anything I need to do with my cart in terms of upgrading FW or anything out of the box? Everything works great so far. LOVE IT

neosd
02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Is there anything I need to do with my cart in terms of upgrading FW or anything out of the box? Everything works great so far. LOVE IT

Hi,

Not for now, we are working on a new update but it will take some time to be avaliable.

Thanks

pixeljunkie
02-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Hi,

Not for now, we are working on a new update but it will take some time to be avaliable.

Thanks

Excellent! I seriously can't say enough awesome things about it - also, thanks again for the UPS shipping, very appreciated.

One weird thing I noticed which has nothing to do with the cart, is that when I loaded the rom for Dakseed proto and went back to menu, sound was gone. I'd have to load a rom with sound then go back to the menu to get sound on the menu again. Just something odd I noticed.

loganm187
02-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Having an issue with my NEOSD AES cart. When I go to load a game the bar get's maybe 1/8 "erasing" then the screen goes crazy and i get loud screeching noises...eventually the screen turns blue and it it will stay like that until I turn the system off. When i turn it back on the game is loaded though! There is obviously something wrong. And I have to turn the system off and on to just load a game. I'm using a low serial AES around 1800 with the correct power adapter and it plays Legit carts just fine. I re-formatted the 32 gb SDHC ultra sandisk card which is verified authentic and re dumped the .neo files and the same thing is occurring. Is it possible I got a defective unit?

Started playing a game and I get 5 second intermittent literal blaring screeches too that are not not happening on legit carts either.

Also, this cart is very difficult to get into and out of my AES.

neosd
02-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Having an issue with my NEOSD AES cart. When I go to load a game the bar get's maybe 1/8 "erasing" then the screen goes crazy and i get loud screeching noises...eventually the screen turns blue and it it will stay like that until I turn the system off. When i turn it back on the game is loaded though! There is obviously something wrong. And I have to turn the system off and on to just load a game. I'm using a low serial AES around 1800 with the correct power adapter and it plays Legit carts just fine. I re-formatted the 32 gb SDHC ultra sandisk card which is verified authentic and re dumped the .neo files and the same thing is occurring. Is it possible I got a defective unit?

Started playing a game and I get 5 second intermittent literal blaring screeches too that are not not happening on legit carts either.

Also, this cart is very difficult to get into and out of my AES.

Hello,

Send us an email to contact@neosdstore.... with your serial number.
We will send you a firmware update to fix it.
Also, this thread is for MVS support, there is another one for AES

Thanks

loganm187
02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Hello,

Send us an email to contact@neosdstore.... with your serial number.
We will send you a firmware update to fix it.
Also, this thread is for MVS support, there is another one for AES

Thanks

SENT! Were we suppose to get firmware? I didn't see it in the downloads and sorry for the wrong forum.

Rot
02-23-2017, 04:01 PM
SENT! Were we suppose to get firmware? I didn't see it in the downloads and sorry for the wrong forum.

No... it seems you poor digs with a low serial number AES need a different firmware...

xROTx

loganm187
02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
No... it seems you poor digs with a low serial number AES need a different firmware...

xROTx

Ahhhhh Is this a new development?

Rot
02-23-2017, 04:05 PM
Ahhhhh Is this a new development?

Neosd will explain it... they only discovered it this morning and it's already fixed... these guys are shit hot...

xROTx

PS. I am only posting just to show... I maybe drunk... but i can rememeber shit...

loganm187
02-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Neosd will explain it... they only discovered it this morning and it's already fixed... these guys are shit hot...

xROTx

PS. I am only posting just to show... I maybe drunk... but i can rememeber shit...

Holy fuck they are HOT SHIT. Man the support here is crazy.

neosd
02-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Holy fuck they are HOT SHIT. Man the support here is crazy.

Email answered,

You canīt expect an answer in 3 secconds, firmware has to be compiled ....
Things take time

Thanks

loganm187
02-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Email answered,

You canï―īt expect an answer in 3 secconds, firmware has to be compiled ....
Things take time

Thanks

That was a compliment! :) I did not expect an answer this fast at all! You guys are incredible.

loganm187
02-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Might be a dumb question, but I thought changing the region to Europe would give me blood in Metal slug,Last blade etc. but it's not. Is there anyway to get red blood without Unibios installed on my AES? I thought the region switching via flash cart would remedy needing unibios.

I don't see system mode listed in my options to switch to MVS mode either. Is that suppose to be a feature?

TotalMoop
02-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Might be a dumb question, but I thought changing the region to Europe would give me blood in Metal slug, but it's not. Is there anyway to get red blood without Unibios installed on my AES? I thought the region switching via flash cart would remedy needing unibios.

I don't see system mode listed in my options to switch to MVS mode either. Is that suppose to be a feature?

Try Japan.. That'll give you blood

loganm187
02-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Try Japan.. That'll give you blood

No it doesn't :(

Terabyte
02-23-2017, 10:09 PM
NEOSD AES, I'm having issues with flashed games not checking out on CRC check with Universe Bios. I spoke to Raz and he mentioned version UB3.1 should read/check CRC fine. Any ideas why this is happening? I flashed the exact same games in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCatJvXPjYM and I get NG on my CRC checks instead of OK. I'm using the rom link set from Rot.

For example when I do: KOF 2003 I get rom region FD74570C NG, bank 0 ok, bank 1 ng, bank 2 ng etc but in most games it all shows up as NG. Whats going on?

Terabyte
02-23-2017, 10:26 PM
I've also tried two different sd cards and same issue.

neodev
02-24-2017, 02:40 AM
NEOSD AES, I'm having issues with flashed games not checking out on CRC check with Universe Bios. I spoke to Raz and he mentioned version UB3.1 should read/check CRC fine. Any ideas why this is happening? I flashed the exact same games in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCatJvXPjYM and I get NG on my CRC checks instead of OK. I'm using the rom link set from Rot.

For example when I do: KOF 2003 I get rom region FD74570C NG, bank 0 ok, bank 1 ng, bank 2 ng etc but in most games it all shows up as NG. Whats going on?

So, it happens with SS5 too? or only with KOF2003 (SS5 has a more simple banking mode). Which PSU and AES model do you have?

Thanks.

mathieu4d
02-24-2017, 04:16 AM
Hello boyz,

I've received my neosd AES yesterday, and I've been toying with the converting tool.
I sure already have a full set of thingies (big up to the chat crew), but I've also an homebrew work in progress that I'd like to test on my aes.
That is actually why i did bought neosd for.

Sooo… my .zip works fine on nebula. I'm using neobuilder thru prompt (neobuilder -n XXX -m XXX -y XXX -g Other c:/XXXXX)
And I get an error message saying "Missing screenshot for XXX".

Any clue here ?

Its more neobuilder related than AES or MVS neosd… feel free to point me in the right direction if needed.

Thanks !

neodev
02-24-2017, 04:22 AM
Hello boyz,

I've received my neosd AES yesterday, and I've been toying with the converting tool.
I sure already have a full set of thingies (big up to the chat crew), but I've also an homebrew work in progress that I'd like to test on my aes.
That is actually why i did bought neosd for.

Sooo my .zip works fine on nebula. I'm using neobuilder thru prompt (neobuilder -n XXX -m XXX -y XXX -g Other c:/XXXXX)
And I get an error message saying "Missing screenshot for XXX".

Any clue here ?

Its more neobuilder related than AES or MVS neosd feel free to point me in the right direction if needed.

Thanks !

That happens if you convert a zip file with a name that neobuilder doesn't recognize, and it can't find a screenshot for it. You can add an extra option -s screenshotnum to tell which screenshot to use. You can check the screenshot numbers in the file named order.txt .

Also, I'm not sure if nebula compatible romsets will all convert properly with the command line manual zip conversion, because there are some roms that require special loading, also those romsets are quite old and some redumps and rom renaming has happened since then. That option is mostly for hombrewers that would like to have their own game converted to neo format. You should try using MAME compatible romsets and the UI tool, or if the UI doesn't work, use the commandline "neobuilder -d romsdirectory" that does the same than the UI, but with console output.

Terabyte
02-24-2017, 06:12 AM
So, it happens with SS5 too? or only with KOF2003 (SS5 has a more simple banking mode). Which PSU and AES model do you have?

Thanks.

Yes both SS5 and KOF2003 have issues with CRC.
USA AES Mod# NEO-AEC with FCC ID, S#019XXX
Original AES USA PSU Mod# NEO-0

Another note:
I have an original copy of Magician Lord. testing with the original cart the CRC checks OK. But when using the NEOSD its NG.

neodev
02-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Yes both SS5 and KOF2003 have issues with CRC.
USA AES Mod# NEO-AEC with FCC ID, S#019XXX
Original AES USA PSU Mod# NEO-0

Another note:
I have an original copy of Magician Lord. testing with the original cart the CRC checks OK. But when using the NEOSD its NG.

Please, send us an email to support@neosdstore with the serial number of your NeoSD cart.

mathieu4d
02-24-2017, 07:57 AM
@neodev : thank you, its working.
I just forced ASO2 screenshot.
You might want to add a "no-name" screen shot to the pool.

thanks for your really fast answer !

GohanX
02-24-2017, 08:37 AM
No it doesn't :(

In Metal Slug you need to go into the Unibios and change the soft dip setting to turn blood on, regardless of system region.

pixeljunkie
02-24-2017, 09:52 AM
In Metal Slug you need to go into the Unibios and change the soft dip setting to turn blood on, regardless of system region.

so, without unibios - red blood is never gonna happen?

GohanX
02-24-2017, 09:55 AM
I think the blood might be red with a stock Japanese bios, but I'm not sure on that one since I haven't run a stock bios since 2001. On a CD system Japanese mode will be red, but on a cart system I always have to change the softdips to get red blood.

loganm187
02-24-2017, 11:39 AM
so, without unibios - red blood is never gonna happen?

Currently yes, you need unibios to get red blood. Changing the region on AES NEOSD will not change this.

BUT Neodev just told me on another thread they are implementing a firmware update to allow Blood, etc to be enabled on the AES without unibios soon!!! :) I'm sure he can confirm it here too.

It made me very happy as I do not want to crack open my AES. I just wonder how soon.

Terabyte
02-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Please, send us an email to support@neosdstore with the serial number of your NeoSD cart.

I just e-mailed you.

Terabyte
02-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Now I got this...is that a valid e-mail address?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* support@neosdstore.com

Reason: Permanent Error

neodev
02-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Now I got this...is that a valid e-mail address?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* support@neosdstore.com

Reason: Permanent Error

sorry, my fault, it's contact@neosdstore.com

Lone-Wolf
02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
I think the blood might be red with a stock Japanese bios, but I'm not sure on that one since I haven't run a stock bios since 2001. On a CD system Japanese mode will be red, but on a cart system I always have to change the softdips to get red blood.

I have a stock AES Japanese bios and can confirm that the blood is always red even if I change to USA region via the NeoSD

neodev
02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
I have a stock AES Japanese bios and can confirm that the blood is always red even if I change to USA region via the NeoSD

Well, I've been looking into the code and yes, there is an explanation for that. The AES games seem to use the default DIP settings for the region the bios belongs to, this region is in the bios rom, and the bios uses it before handling control to the game, so there is no way to change that, as when neosd changes the region, the bios has already set the softdips. The good news is that there is an easy solution for that (it will require a firmware update though).

loganm187
02-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Well, I've been looking into the code and yes, there is an explanation for that. The AES games seem to use the default DIP settings for the region the bios belongs to, this region is in the bios rom, and the bios uses it before handling control to the game, so there is no way to change that, as when neosd changes the region, the bios has already set the softdips. The good news is that there is an easy solution for that (it will require a firmware update though).

Can't wait for the update. I have an American AES and I need my BLOOD. It's not the same without it. You're the best.

Lone-Wolf
02-24-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the response. For me and anyone with stock Japanese bios it's fine at the moment as you currently get the best of both worlds when switching regions but great news that it's an easy fix for people with stock US/PAL bios! Just wanted to clarify for anyone wondering more than anything.

Lone-Wolf
02-24-2017, 02:40 PM
@neodev @neosd
Just to note, I'm one of the fortunate ones in that currently I haven't experienced any issues (running on 3-5 revision). If I can help in any way with any testing or comparisons etc. I'm more than happy to help you guys. Just shoot me a PM.

neosd
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
@neodev @neosd
Just to note, I'm one of the fortunate ones in that currently I haven't experienced any issues (running on 3-5 revision). If I can help in any way with any testing or comparisons etc. I'm more than happy to help you guys. Just shoot me a PM.

Thanks Lone-Wolf,

As soon as we have the next beta update ready, we will let you know.

Terabyte
02-24-2017, 09:22 PM

K, sent again.

mathieu4d
02-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Hello again

I actually have one problem : I can't access the neosd menu anymore.

Soooo I launched diggerman. See how eager I was to get in trouble.
Since then, pushing start at boot or using start + AD doesn't bring me back to the menu.

I tried :
- 2 ≠ AES (one serial 15k unibios 2.0 and one serial 50k unibios 3.0).
- swich region and aes/mvs,
- remove the sd card and put it back.

Diggerman does not seem to play a neogeo intro, so my though is maybe something is highjacked here ?

Dont rush to answer, you guys need some rest… its saturday… and tomorrow is sunday… but I could use a hand when you got a sec.

edit : Before that, I had tried 20ish other games without problem.
Beside that small issue I'm very happy with my purchase.
Hope its something stupid somewhere, and that it can be fixed easily :)

neosd
02-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Hello again

I actually have one problem : I can't access the neosd menu anymore.

Soooo I launched diggerman. See how eager I was to get in trouble.
Since then, pushing start at boot or using start + AD doesn't bring me back to the menu.

I tried :
- 2 ≠ AES (one serial 15k unibios 2.0 and one serial 50k unibios 3.0).
- swich region and aes/mvs,
- remove the sd card and put it back.

Diggerman does not seem to play a neogeo intro, so my though is maybe something is highjacked here ?

Dont rush to answer, you guys need some rest… its saturday… and tomorrow is sunday… but I could use a hand when you got a sec.

edit : Before that, I had tried 20ish other games without problem.
Beside that small issue I'm very happy with my purchase.
Hope its something stupid somewhere, and that it can be fixed easily :)

Hello

delete a file called lastgame.cfg on the microsd

Thanks

mathieu4d
02-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Hello

delete a file called lastgame.cfg on the microsd

Thanks

It worked.
This is a good to know "reset button".

That is a quality costumer service, I'm impressed.
Take care.

neosd
02-25-2017, 03:28 PM
It worked.
This is a good to know "reset button".

That is a quality costumer service, I'm impressed.
Take care.

Hello,

This is the fast way, there is an actual way to reset NEOSD : put a file called reset.cfg on the microsd.

Thanks

Opethian
02-26-2017, 03:47 PM
I had the game reset to title in the 2nd fight on Crossed Swords 2 but the music was still playing from when I was in game (did not play title screen music).
So far no issues with any other retail games I tried. Great product/support/people

cheers

Terabyte
02-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Sent the e-mail couple days ago but I haven't received a reply or anything confirming there looking into it or even received my message. ???

neodev
02-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Sent the e-mail couple days ago but I haven't received a reply or anything confirming there looking into it or even received my message. ???

Yes, we received it. We are working on an update for your issues.

neosd
02-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Hello,

We have been working all day today with the help of GadgetUK. That we donīt post dosent means we are stopped. We work all day long, weekends included.
Sometimes we have a 5 minutes fix, other times we need time. Resources are not infinite, but so far we havenīt let anyone without his issue solved and this is still our goal, to have everyone happy.
We try to allways answer fast, but sometimes we need more time for think/work.

Also, just a fast question, is your AES overclocked ? I ask that cause we have already found a customer that changed the clock on his AES.

Thanks

Terabyte
02-27-2017, 01:25 AM
Hello,

We have been working all day today with the help of GadgetUK. That we donï―īt post dosent means we are stopped. We work all day long, weekends included.
Sometimes we have a 5 minutes fix, other times we need time. Resources are not infinite, but so far we havenï―īt let anyone without his issue solved and this is still our goal, to have everyone happy.
We try to allways answer fast, but sometimes we need more time for think/work.

Also, just a fast question, is your AES overclocked ? I ask that cause we have already found a customer that changed the clock on his AES.

Thanks

No worries, just wanted to make sure you got the e-mail is all, since I didn't get a response back. Thanks for the hard work and other than the CRC issues the cart is truly AMAZING! On the overclock, No, AES is stock other than UniBIOS and swapped out 5 bad video capacitors on the board. I do good solder work no worries. Good tools help as well, love my Hakko. :)

I've watched GadgetUK on Youtube, some good videos there.

Thanks.

sTo0z
02-27-2017, 03:47 PM
This seems to be more dedicated to technical support, so I hate to ask a shipping question in here, but I don't know where else to go?

Placed an order on the 16th and the payment was immediately accepted, noticed the news update on the 20th that shipping had begun, and now the 27th my order has not moved a single bit.

I did open a ticket on their support portal, but it has gone unanswered, so I guess asking here is my last resort?

I understand there are probably a tremendous amount of orders to get through, and I understand it can be slow. I want to make it clear I have absolutely no problem being patient and waiting, but I have no idea what the status of my order is, or when I can expect any movement on it. I don't mind a weeks, months, waiting if I need to, but I just don't want to be kept in the dark.

Their site said "In stock" when I ordered it, and currently says "In stock", does that mean if someone were to order right this minute they would have a minimum of 12 days wait before ship?

Anyways, if this is an inappropriate post for this section, I understand, and apologize. Did not know where else to turn, and the admins from NeoSD appeared active here.

pixeljunkie
02-27-2017, 04:04 PM
This seems to be more dedicated to technical support

you are correct

neosd
02-27-2017, 04:09 PM
This seems to be more dedicated to technical support, so I hate to ask a shipping question in here, but I don't know where else to go?

Placed an order on the 16th and the payment was immediately accepted, noticed the news update on the 20th that shipping had begun, and now the 27th my order has not moved a single bit.

I did open a ticket on their support portal, but it has gone unanswered, so I guess asking here is my last resort?

I understand there are probably a tremendous amount of orders to get through, and I understand it can be slow. I want to make it clear I have absolutely no problem being patient and waiting, but I have no idea what the status of my order is, or when I can expect any movement on it. I don't mind a weeks, months, waiting if I need to, but I just don't want to be kept in the dark.

Their site said "In stock" when I ordered it, and currently says "In stock", does that mean if someone were to order right this minute they would have a minimum of 12 days wait before ship?

Anyways, if this is an inappropriate post for this section, I understand, and apologize. Did not know where else to turn, and the admins from NeoSD appeared active here.

Hello,

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/index.php/2017/02/20/we-are-shipping-neosd-aes-and-mvs-with-shells/

We canīt give a shipping date to anyone.

Do we have units in stock for everyone ? YES we do.
Why canīt we give estimated shipping so ? Cause somedays we process more orders in a day and other days less.
We got the order list and we are shipping by purchase order. We want to get everything shipped as soon as possible, but it takes time.

So, please, be patient

sTo0z
02-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Hello,

http://www.neosdstore.com/news/index.php/2017/02/20/we-are-shipping-neosd-aes-and-mvs-with-shells/

We canīt give a shipping date to anyone.

Do we have units in stock for everyone ? YES we do.
Why canīt we give estimated shipping so ? Cause somedays we process more orders in a day and other days less.
We got the order list and we are shipping by purchase order. We want to get everything shipped as soon as possible, but it takes time.

So, please, be patient

Understood, appreciate the confirmation.

TotalMoop
03-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Well I've FINALLY managed to get a few hours use out of my AES NeoSD. It works so good... You guys :buttrock:

Now I am not sure if this is an issue with the NeoSD or UniBios so I'll ask here as I know Raz will likely see it too.

First.. My set up:-
JP AES with UniBios 3.3
Set as USA / Arcade

When I flash KOF 2003 (MVS Version) I am unable to access UniBios at boot/reset.
I can access the ingame menu but I cannot access the Bios to change Soft Dip etc.
Is there a reason for this? Is it a problem or just how it is?

I've had no issues so far on anything I've tried.. I can access both no problems.

Thanks

Razoola
03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Well I've FINALLY managed to get a few hours use out of my AES NeoSD. It works so good... You guys :buttrock:

Now I am not sure if this is an issue with the NeoSD or UniBios so I'll ask here as I know Raz will likely see it too.

First.. My set up:-
JP AES with UniBios 3.3
Set as USA / Arcade

When I flash KOF 2003 (MVS Version) I am unable to access UniBios at boot/reset.
I can access the ingame menu but I cannot access the Bios to change Soft Dip etc.
Is there a reason for this? Is it a problem or just how it is?

I've had no issues so far on anything I've tried.. I can access both no problems.

Thanks

I have no idea, But I guess you are accessing it but because the MVS version of kof2003 does not have the needed font the AES requires, the screen is probably blank. you should use the AES version of kof2003 on the AES period.

TotalMoop
03-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I have no idea, But I guess you are accessing it but because the MVS version of kof2003 does not have the needed font the AES requires, the screen is probably blank. you should use the AES version of kof2003 on the AES period.

Good point Raz. I will give that a go next time I try and see if that sorts it out.

I totally forgot about the font thing so it does make sense.

Cheers Raz

neosd
03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Terabyte,

You got a firmware update for your crc issues (by email), please let us know the results.

To the others with open issues : we are working on everyones issues, please, be patient.

Thanks

loganm187
03-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Just curious whenever the new firmware upgrade is released (to add blood to US systems etc.) What thread will that announcement be made in? I don't get to check the forums that much due to my job and would like to know where to look. I know you guys are working your asses off. Keep up the good work!

neosd
03-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Just curious whenever the new firmware upgrade is released (to add blood to US systems etc.) What thread will that announcement be made in? I don't get to check the forums that much due to my job and would like to know where to look. I know you guys are working your asses off. Keep up the good work!

We will send an email to everyone as last time, but it will not be released until we have every single issue shorted. First issues, then new functions

Thanks

loganm187
03-02-2017, 02:10 PM
We will send an email to everyone as last time, but it will not be released until we have every single issue shorted. First issues, then new functions

Thanks

I never received an email if there was a prior update...Do I need to update something on the site to receive these? You emailed me an update when I was having issues because of my low serial number AES which did fix it :)

neosd
03-02-2017, 02:18 PM
I never received an email if there was a prior update...Do I need to update something on the site to receive these? You emailed me an update when I was having issues because of my low serial number AES which did fix it :)

After MVS release we had some issues, we fixed those (it took some time). Once those issues were fixed we prepared a new firmware update, we sent an email to all MVS customers telling about this new firmware.

There is no new update for the seccond MVS batch cause those carts already come with the last update from factory (same aplies for AES).

So we will do the same for AES, we will fix the pending issues some are having (i think its 4 customers as today, if i am not wrong), then we will keep working on the new update. Once its ready, we will send an email to everyone to tell there is a new firmware ready.

Thanks

Niko
03-08-2017, 01:16 AM
Got my NeoSD AES the other day and everything has been working great.

I do have one question though, is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon not working? I thought I had seen a post where Raz confirmed it worked, but I cant get any of the 3 versions in MAME to work for me. After it flashes the system just constantly resets until I turn it off and back on again to get into the menu.

I've tried the roms in .183 rom set, and the ones provided by Rot.

I'm on v1.05 of the firmware, and I used the v1.03 neobuilder.

Razoola
03-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Im cant remember if I confirmed this game working or not but one needs to remember I tested on MVS and not AES and in the case of bootlegs this could make a difference.

Sceptre_JLRB
03-08-2017, 04:12 AM
I do have one question though, is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon not working? I thought I had seen a post where Raz confirmed it worked, but I cant get any of the 3 versions in MAME to work for me. After it flashes the system just constantly resets until I turn it off and back on again to get into the menu.

I confirm the three versions of CTHD work on MVS board under UniBIOS 3.2 both in AES & MVS mode. However, some users at Spanish EOL forum have reported similar problems to yours... Could it be that CTHD (a KOF 2001 hack released on arcades and maybe programmed with these on mind) doesn't work on AES with stock BIOS?

greatfunky
03-08-2017, 06:01 AM
I confirm the three versions of CTHD work on MVS board under UniBIOS 3.2 both in AES & MVS mode. However, some users at Spanish EOL forum have reported similar problems to yours... Could it be that CHTD (a KOF 2001 hack released on arcades and maybe programmed with these on mind) doesn't work on AES with stock BIOS?

Just tested , i can confirm CTHD doesn't work on AES , even with unibios installed (3.3 in my case ).

JMKurtz
03-08-2017, 06:20 AM
CTHD doesn't work properly on AES because it utilizes the MVS BACKUP RAM block that the AES doesn't have ($D00000 - $D0FFFF).

Maybe this is something NeoSD can address in the future?

Rot
03-08-2017, 06:31 AM
CTHD doesn't work properly on AES because it utilizes the MVS BACKUP RAM block that the AES doesn't have ($D00000 - $D0FFFF).

Maybe this is something NeoSD can address in the future?

I'll ask them later Jeff...

Not a major concern but i know sometimes neodev likes to do this sorta stuff when he's bored...

xROTx

Happosai
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
hello,
I bought an aes card the 02/27, the payment has been validated the 02/28 and I'm still waiting for the shipping. I tried to let a message in the support section of the website but no answer.

pixeljunkie
03-09-2017, 01:01 PM
hello,
I bought an aes card the 02/27, the payment has been validated the 02/28 and I'm still waiting for the shipping. I tried to let a message in the support section of the website but no answer.

TECH support :very_ang:

neosd
03-09-2017, 01:34 PM
hello,

Hello,

Still not shipped, we are still not up to date with shipments.
It will be shipped before next week ends for sure.

Thanks

Happosai
03-09-2017, 01:43 PM
ok, thank you :tickled:

edit : just received today 03/19 Few roms can't convert with neobuild GUI, I've to search deeper. However, tested kof2003, it works well :) good job :)

Terabyte
03-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Terabyte,

You got a firmware update for your crc issues (by email), please let us know the results.

To the others with open issues : we are working on everyones issues, please, be patient.

Thanks

Heya,

I replied about a few days ago just mentioning that the firmware update didn't fix the CRC errors. Not sure if you got my e-mail, never got a reply back after a bit. I also replied back with the request for the onscreen firmware image/pic that was requested.

Thanks.

neodev
03-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Heya,

I replied about a few days ago just mentioning that the firmware update didn't fix the CRC errors. Not sure if you got my e-mail, never got a reply back after a bit. I also replied back with the request for the onscreen firmware image/pic that was requested.

Thanks.

Sorry for not answering the email. We keep investigating the issue, it's quite strange. Can you properly play the games without resets or unibios exception screen?

ckchan
03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Just received it and did a quick test yesterday.

1) Durin erasing and flashing, I heard the noise as mentioned by other members in the earlier posts.
2) When I played Fatal Fury 1, there is random reset issue. (1st stage, 4th stage, bouns game, etc)

I am using the 1st revision of AES with daughter board and a 3rd party 5V - 3A adapter.

neosd
03-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Just received it and did a quick test yesterday.

1) Durin erasing and flashing, I heard the noise as mentioned by other members in the earlier posts.
2) When I played Fatal Fury 1, there is random reset issue. (1st stage, 4th stage, bouns game, etc)

I am using the 1st revision of AES with daughter board and a 3rd party 5V - 3A adapter.

Hello,

This may sound stupid, but it happened to me, it took me some time to realize why i was getting resets with a non official psu.

I was using one of those that have multiple connectors of different sizes, i just choosen one of those connectors and the aes was having random resets, some time later i got the original psu that came with another AES and realized the connector had no looseness once attached on the AES, as the one i was using.

Check that the PSU you are using has the right diameter on the connector. There is an easy test, just move the connector and see if you get resets while moving it.

I am talking about interior diameter and exterior diameter aswel.

Thanks

ckchan
03-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Hello,

This may sound stupid, but it happened to me, it took me some time to realize why i was getting resets with a non official psu.

I was using one of those that have multiple connectors of different sizes, i just choosen one of those connectors and the aes was having random resets, some time later i got the original psu that came with another AES and realized the connector had no looseness once attached on the AES, as the one i was using.

Check that the PSU you are using has the right diameter on the connector. There is an easy test, just move the connector and see if you get resets while moving it.

Thanks

HI,

Thanks for your reply. I will check tonight.

However, I also played Double Dragon for 15 mins and it seems to me that there is no reset issue for Double Dragon.

ckchan
03-14-2017, 11:03 AM
HI,

Thanks for your reply. I will check tonight.

However, I also played Double Dragon for 15 mins and it seems to me that there is no reset issue for Double Dragon.

Just checked the diameter of the connector, the interior diameter is 2mm and the exterior diameter is 5mm.

ProGEO
03-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Got my NeoSD AES the other day and everything has been working great.

How did you get the menu to load!? I am having the same problem, I attempted to load Crouching Tiger and am caught in the boot loop, but am unable to get out of it. I have tried holding player 1 start while I turn on the AES console, but it still just loads up the repeating reset issue! I really want to enjoy some NEO GEO gaming right now and this is not fun...

I will say that this cart is pretty amazing and I am sure I will be able to get it working again, even if it has to be with the help of the neosd team.

Thank you.

Sceptre_JLRB
03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
How did you get the menu to load!? I am having the same problem, I attempted to load Crouching Tiger and am caught in the boot loop, but am unable to get out of it. I have tried holding player 1 start while I turn on the AES console, but it still just loads up the repeating reset issue! I really want to enjoy some NEO GEO gaming right now and this is not fun...

I will say that this cart is pretty amazing and I am sure I will be able to get it working again, even if it has to be with the help of the neosd team.

Thank you.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4172992&viewfull=1#post4172992

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4173000&viewfull=1#post4173000

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4177410&viewfull=1#post4177410

ProGEO
03-15-2017, 10:38 PM
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4172992&viewfull=1#post4172992

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4173000&viewfull=1#post4173000

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270109-NEOSD-AES-Support-thread-!&p=4177410&viewfull=1#post4177410

Best... info... evar. YOu saved my night. Thank you.

ckchan
03-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Hello,

Thanks

Finally I tested the cart with an original PSU. The reset problem is solved. Thanks!
However, it seems to me that the PSU gets warm after flashing a few games and play less than 1 hour. Is it normal?

GadgetUK
03-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Finally I tested the cart with an original PSU. The reset problem is solved. Thanks!
However, it seems to me that the PSU gets warm after flashing a few games and play less than 1 hour. Is it normal?

Yes (unless the PSU needs recapping - if you haven't done that, and its an original PSU, I would consider it as they all need recapping at some point).

The Neo SD doesn't pull much if any more power than a typical cart really. I need to check exact current drawn on the MVS version (maybe I will get an AES version later in the year and check that, but probably the same as the MVS version anyway), but the voltage indicator (drop) on my MVS is a good reflection of current drawn, and it's not dissimilar to say an original Sam Sho V.

GadgetUK
03-18-2017, 05:52 AM
It might be worth someone adding a list of FAQ problem resolution check points to the Neo SD website or something, because we've had a few instances now of people getting resets or CRC issues when its not the fault of the cart. And I imagine these problems taking time to investigate etc, time that could be better spent on shipping and firmware updates etc.

eg.

1) Clean your cart slot and inspect to make sure pins aren't damaged. And after repeated use, clean the Neo SD PCB edges too.

2) Check your PSU is not the problem (ie. needing recapping). Ideally, measure the 5v on the connector, measure the 5v whilst the system is powered on (perhaps by measuring between pin 2 and pin 4 of the video output DIN? - for those that don't fancy removing the lid). Also note - 5v measured does not neccessarily indicate a good PSU, the PSU might need recapping still. You could measure using AC mode on your mulitmeter to see how much AC ripple there is on the 5v line. I've done that before to determine when C64 PSUs need recapping.

3) For alternative AES PSU (not original SNK manufacture) - are you sure the DC jack is the correct type (ie. there are two commonly accidentally mixed - 5.5 x 2.5 and 5.5 x 2.1. If your AES uses 5.5 x 2.1 (which I think they all do - unless the socket has been replaced on the AES previously, then a 5.5 x 2.5 will result in random resets and power issues.))

Additional for the MVS:-
4) Does the MVS need recapping? These systems often have thousands of hours of usage previously and whilst original carts might seem OK, the Neo SD might be more sensitive to a bad 5v line.

5) Does the 24Mhz crystal need grounding? (So far seemingly only affects some 1FZ).

6) Does the MVS have a slot riser board (where the slot fits on a PCB that then connects to the main MVS PCB? Because I've seen two examples now where replacing that riser board or cleaning the connections between the riser and the MVS can make a huge difference to how the Neo SD runs on those models.

7) Try reconnecting the 2 Neo SD PCB boards - ie. carefully disconnect them from each other and reconnect (but that might not apply to AES carts - no idea, not sure if the screws can be easily removed from the shell until I see a shell myself).

EDIT: Also, I vaguely remember seeing a problem where people get stuck in a reboot loop and some file can be deleted from the SD cart to resolve that? That could be added into that list too.

Nostromo
03-18-2017, 12:57 PM
I've had this weird thing happening today... I had my CMVS running by itself for a few minutes (with NeoSD) - the game was Mutation Nation. All of a sudden, the system started resetting itself. So I went into the NeoSD menu and it kept resetting itself (so it went back to the game). I eventually switch it off, back on, flashed another game and now it seems ok. Any ideas?

GadgetUK
03-18-2017, 01:04 PM
I've had this weird thing happening today... I had my CMVS running by itself for a few minutes (with NeoSD) - the game was Mutation Nation. All of a sudden, the system started resetting itself. So I went into the NeoSD menu and it kept resetting itself (so it went back to the game). I eventually switch it off, back on, flashed another game and now it seems ok. Any ideas?

It could just be a consequence of a slightly bad connection - are you using the boards without a shell (like I do atm), because I've had similar issues to that but they are very rare and usually after reseating the boards and a power cycle its usually OK.

Nostromo
03-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Well, yes, no shell, still waiting for one. Having said that, the boards have been sitting in the slot since day one I got it. I never removed them. Switching the CMVS off and on seems to have fixed it. I didn't re-seat anything.

GadgetUK
03-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Well, yes, no shell, still waiting for one. Having said that, the boards have been sitting in the slot since day one I got it. I never removed them. Switching the CMVS off and on seems to have fixed it. I didn't re-seat anything. What MVS are you using?

Nostromo
03-18-2017, 01:38 PM
What MVS are you using?

MV1C (a JNX CMVS). Never had one issue. I left another game running for an hour now, didn't happen again. I wonder if it was a PSU issue.

GadgetUK
03-18-2017, 02:19 PM
MV1C (a JNX CMVS). Never had one issue. I left another game running for an hour now, didn't happen again. I wonder if it was a PSU issue.
Could be some noise through the PSU or something. If it doesn't start occuring frequently I wouldn't worry about it.

wyndcrosser
03-18-2017, 08:47 PM
I had the random resets with an unofficial psu from ebay (to ckchan's post).

Nostromo
03-19-2017, 02:06 AM
Apologies for posting in the wrong thread. Just noticed this is the AES thread.

Terabyte
03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Sorry for not answering the email. We keep investigating the issue, it's quite strange. Can you properly play the games without resets or unibios exception screen?

What do you mean resets? unibios ex screen?

I can play the game perfectly fine it plays and looks fine. Its just when I do the CRC check it fails. When I CRC check an original game cartridge it checks off good. It only fails with NEOSD.

Gyrian
03-26-2017, 08:37 AM
I've encountered a small graphical issue that presents itself inconsistently. Almost looks like static, with single pixels flashing randomly. This is unscientific, but I think it's more prevalent with bigger games. I've recorded a brief video showing this glitch:

https://youtu.be/_wlgFg1A6Uk

I've never spotted before this with my cartridges, so I'm thinking it's either from the NeoSD or the combo of my setup + NeoSD. This is what I'm running:

Neo Geo AES 3-5
SEGA SA-160A power supply (Mega Drive)
NeoSD 1.05

Any thoughts? Apologies if it's been addressed before, I wasn't able to find anything here other than a passing mention of a similar sounding issue by member FikNaldo in the official news thread (he described a small issue with 'speckles').

phoenixdownita
04-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Got my NeoSD AES and was wondering what's to be expected on the new firmware aside ironing out the last kinks for those few that still have some issues.

Support for CTHD on AES would be something :drool: but I am not sure how feasible/realistic that is, anyway what else is brewing? Can we get some hint? Please?

neodev
04-01-2017, 04:59 AM
Got my NeoSD AES and was wondering what's to be expected on the new firmware aside ironing out the last kinks for those few that still have some issues.

Support for CTHD on AES would be something :drool: but I am not sure how feasible/realistic that is, anyway what else is brewing? Can we get some hint? Please?

There are a lot of big and small changes in the new firmware. One of the (announced) big ones is the Jukebox feature, that will allow you to send sound codes to the sound hardware so you can play songs from the neosd menu. Similar to the unibios jukebox feature, but neosd allows you to name the sound codes, and use preexisting music lists so you can choose songs and effects by name.
Also included is the improved saveram & load that doesn't depend on the MVS battery to work properly, so you can have your softdips and highscores saved even if you battery has died or is not present.

Some of the minor fixes are support for the latest encrypted kof99k dump and of course CTHD (and its variations) working on AES.

phoenixdownita
04-01-2017, 10:50 AM
There are a lot of big and small changes in the new firmware. One of the (announced) big ones is the Jukebox feature, that will allow you to send sound codes to the sound hardware so you can play songs from the neosd menu. Similar to the unibios jukebox feature, but neosd allows you to name the sound codes, and use preexisting music lists so you can choose songs and effects by name.
Also included is the improved saveram & load that doesn't depend on the MVS battery to work properly, so you can have your softdips and highscores saved even if you battery has died or is not present.

Some of the minor fixes are support for the latest encrypted kof99k dump and of course CTHD (and its variations) working on AES.

Nice, thanks for sharing ... wrt CTHD does it mean that in general BRAM will be supported/simulated on AES so when playing in MVS mode maybe we can save softdip settings and what not also on AES (also in other games)?

Lone-Wolf
04-01-2017, 02:13 PM
I've encountered a small graphical issue that presents itself inconsistently. Almost looks like static, with single pixels flashing randomly. This is unscientific, but I think it's more prevalent with bigger games. I've recorded a brief video showing this glitch:

https://youtu.be/_wlgFg1A6Uk

I've never spotted before this with my cartridges, so I'm thinking it's either from the NeoSD or the combo of my setup + NeoSD. This is what I'm running:

Neo Geo AES 3-5
SEGA SA-160A power supply (Mega Drive)
NeoSD 1.05

Any thoughts? Apologies if it's been addressed before, I wasn't able to find anything here other than a passing mention of a similar sounding issue by member FikNaldo in the official news thread (he described a small issue with 'speckles').

I have an identical setup (with official UK Mega Drive PSU) and I'm not getting the glitches. Have you checked the PSU or tried an alternative?

Razoola
04-02-2017, 02:11 AM
That pixel glitch looks simular to those obtained when work was done trying to get AES carts working on MVS systems. It suggests the cause may be the result of a slight timing issue in the PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC emulation on the AES NeoSD.

That is unless the game in the video is that SSV xbox hack, that has pixel glitching but it is related to paletteRAM access.

Terabyte
04-02-2017, 05:22 AM
Just wanted to report back it turned out to be a bad power supply connection. The dc connector on my original power supply and neogeo was dirty. I had to scrape the connectors a bit on the neo geo side and power supply side then use some alchohol and stuffed some thin paper into the connector holes and move it around. That finally fixed the CRC issue. I'm guessing the NeoSD is a little sensitive with amps. I noticed because of the connections the amps were below 1.2-1.3 afterwards they bounced to 1.5-1.6 once at that level the CRC checks were fine. My guess is the original carts use a little less power than the NeoSD. Either way its fixed. Its a flawless cart, thanks NeoSD team. I hope this info can help others.

What do you mean resets? unibios ex screen?

I can play the game perfectly fine it plays and looks fine. Its just when I do the CRC check it fails. When I CRC check an original game cartridge it checks off good. It only fails with NEOSD.

phoenixdownita
04-02-2017, 11:38 PM
I've got to ask to NeoSD team if these chips where ever considered (winbond W968D6DA 256Mbits [16M x 16 at 70ns] or 32 MBytes):
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/winbond-electronics/W968D6DAGX7I-TR/W968D6DAGX7I-TR-ND/5155090

Datasheet here:
http://www.winbond.com/resource-files/w968d6da_datasheet_pkg_a01-003_20130627.pdf

4.5US$ for 32MB of PSRAM at 70ns access time .... 4 chips is 128MB ..... that is for <20US$ in material PSRAM could theoretically have been used on the NeoSD cart .... I know I'm probably beating a dead horse ... just curiosity.
[I understand digikey asks for 5K pieces minimum order but that's beside the point here].

Even if 8 chips would have been needed (say to implement 5 busses and have on one a complete 128MB just because) it would have been less than 35US$ of extra material, even just writing 1 byte at a time at 10Mhz would have allowed "flashing" at 10MB a sec (the only guarantee of a class 10 SDHC anyway) .... the biggest games likely would have taken < 10 sec .... less than 30 sec to account for the vagaries of life etc... etc.... reducing the throughput to 3MB a sec because shit happens .... [on the NeoSD I personally experience around 450 KB/s for a 20MB game that I tested with and so extrapolating a bit for a 96MB games it would put it around 3m30sec, I haven't tried the big games yet but that's in line with the reported times]

As I said pure curiosity at this point, maybe they felt the extra 40/50EUR would have pushed the envelope or maybe the fact that at every "reboot" 30 sec (in my 3MB sec hypothesis above) would have been needed over and over again (for a 30MB game just 10sec though) .... not sure that's why I ask.

neodev
04-03-2017, 03:52 AM
Yes, that was considered. The "Flash" or "RAM" decision was a very difficult one, and that took a lot of thinking, as each one has its pros and cons.
Let me elaborate on it (Warning, long message ahead). I know the people from the "other forum" will read this and use it to throw some shit at us, hello pals :).

First some numbers (feel free to correct me if some are wrong):

The largest neogeo game is kof2003, with 89MBytes (712MEGA in SNK size count), that is 1(P1)+7(P2)+64(C)+16(V)+0.5(S)+0.5(M)

The SD card interface of the STM32 runs at a maximum of 25MHz, when using 4 bit SD protocol that means 12.5MBytes per sec, so it takes around 7 secs to read the biggest rom SD, assumming zero CPU and filesystem overhead, and having the data contiguously stored in the SD so there is no SD commands overhead. That's pretty unrealistic as adding a filesystem (FAT32 for example) would cause this time to probably double as you must go back to the FAT each cluster, and this adds CPU, reading and SD commands overhead.

Writting 90MBytes in a 70ns PSRAM, assumming the write speed is also 70ns (it's usually lower) it's about 14MB/s, so it takes about 7 seconds to write

Writting the game to Flash memory is a value that we know from the NeoSD, and it's about 3:00 (+/- 10%) minus the time it takes to read from SD, but it's the total time what matters. Don't try to compute this value by adding the time it takes to erase + write each flash, as you'll get a much higher number, the NeoSD uses the large flash wait times to program another one, so the CPU is waiting for the flashing to end as little as possible, by issuing several flash operations in parallel.

So there are 2 main choices (the times there are for the largest games):

Use Flash roms (NeoSD):
Pros:
Instant boot time once flashed (just check a NeoSD on an AES with stock bios to see what instant means :) )
The BIOS can't tell it apart from a real cart, there is no extra code being run or trickery involved.
You can boot straight to the BIOS test menu and it will see the cart as a real one.
Once a game is loaded, you don't need the SD card in anymore, so you can have (expensive) single game carts, especially when using the "arcade mode" in NeoSD.
Cons:
Slow game change, as it needs to erase and rewrite the flash roms.
Limited graphics for the frontend, as they must be stored in a reserved area in the flash.

So this version gives a more "real" cart experience, and favors people that don't switch games often. Booting to the same game has 0 delay.

Use RAM (PSRAM):
Pros:
Very fast game change, as with the values computed above, and giving some room for overhead, it would take 20/25 seconds to rewrite the largest game (we will use this time as a base from now on)
More graphics for the frontend menus, as you can rewrite them every time you enter the menu
Cons:
You must wait up to 20/25 seconds every time the Neogeo boots. So boot to kof2003 10 times and you already waited the same time than flashing it.
You must write the game (or at least the P data) before the bios boots, otherwise it will show cross hatch so you have 2 options: either keep the board reset while you do that (having a ugly random colored squares screen, and it also won't work on all boards) or always boot to a small bootstrap that shows a "loading" screen (this will cause its own kind of issues with the BIOS though, especially with the test mode).

This version has a less "real" experience as you either wait, or see an interim screen before the game boots. This favors people that switchs games a lot. And booting to the same game several times in a row quickly approaches to the time taken to flash it. Also it might have some issues with BIOS as you aren't booting straight to the game code.

Then you have the hybrid version, mixing flash and RAM (for example P, S and M in flash, and V and C in RAM):
Pros:
As the P roms are in flash, the BIOS can't tell it apart from a real cart.
You can boot straight to the BIOS test menu and it will see the cart as a real one.
Flash times, although present, are shorter than the full flash version.
More graphics for the frontend menus, as you can rewrite them every time you enter the menu.
Cons:
When switching games, you must wait up to around 1 minute till the P, M and S flashes are written.
Every time the machine boots, you must wait for the C and V data to be written, that's 15/20s
Unless you want to show glitches, you must ensure C and V data is written before the game is actually ran so a small bootstrap and a "loading" screen will be needed.

You get the worst from the previous solutions, have to wait for the data to be flashed when switching games, and then again when booting the machine, and you can't boot straight to the game without a bootstrap screen.

So you can improve that mode a bit by making it "multislot", it's a bit misleading calling it that way, as it's very different on how the actual MVS multislot works so we may call it "multicart" better (or x-in-1), and I think this is the way DS & co cart works (I think, as noone has seen it apart from prototype images):

Pros:
As the P roms are in flash, the BIOS can't tell it apart from a real cart.
If you switch between the same set of games, you get zero flashing time.
You can quickly switch games in loaded set.
More graphics for the frontend menus, as you can rewrite them every time you enter the menu.
Cons:
You need space to hold all the games (at least the flash), adding more chips increases price and space and complicate the design.
When switching to games not in the loaded set, you must wait up to around 1 minute till the P, M and S flashes are written.
Switching to a different game in the loaded set is not the same experience than a real multislot board (probably reset when switching)
Every time the machine boots, you must wait for the C and V data to be written, that's 15/20s (more on this below)
Unless you want to show glitches, you must ensure C and V data is written before the game is actually ran so a small bootstrap and a "loading" screen will be needed (or hold the neogeo in reset)

So, this version is better than the plain hybrid version as long as you play the same x games, that is, it's good for somebody that likes to play the same set of games. Still it's not the real cart experience, it doesn't have instant loading as an actual cart does. It needs either reset or bootstrap loading (which could mess some BIOS routines). Switching games is not the real multislot thing either.
Also this adds more questions to the design:

It's clear that you need at least x times the flash size for the data that is stored in flash, but hoy much RAM should you add?

Enough for a game and then rewrite it when switching games? that would cause a game switch delay if you can't fit all the loaded games in RAM as the new C and V data load (say you have kof2003, samsho5, svc and mslug5 loaded, that would have a 20s delay when switching games).

Big enough to store the x games? say, if you have a 4-in-1 cart, you'll need a 2GBit RAM to store the C roms,and a 512MBit one to store V roms, then you can't use single chip PSRAMs, as they aren't that big, you'll need to either separate it in several chips (adding cost and size to the board) or use plain DRAM (that adds complexity to the fpga design, as it will need to handle DRAM quirks. All fpga manufacturers provide DRAM control blocks though).
Also, if you have RAM big enough for all games, do you load all games when booting? That would be up to 20 secs per loaded game, 1 minute if you have 4 big games loaded. If you decide to load just the first game, and then another one when switching to it the first time, this will not be better than the "only space for a game" version unless you decide to switch to a new game and then back to a previously played one.

tl;dr; The flash version was chosen because it gives the closer to original cart experience, with minor code interferences, zero boot time, although it has a higher game switch cost (that you can use to go to the fridge for a beer, so that's not bad :) ). If you enable Arcade mode, and remove the SD card so NeoSD no longer runs (you can't enter the menu that way), there is really no way to tell that game apart from an original running in ROM carts software wise.

Rot
04-03-2017, 04:40 AM
https://blogs.vmware.com/tam/files/2016/01/TAM_TAines_TLDR.jpeg

xROTx

greatfunky
04-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Thanks neodev for this detailed explanation , very interesting (I read everything :) )

Niko
04-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Wow, great explanation!

Personally, I think the Neo veterans and purists (including myself) prefer the route the NeoSD took. It was actually my choice during the voting process for the competition.

Rot
04-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Neosd and neodev... really thought this one through lads...

SURE... there are pro's and con's... in whichever way you make a device...

But after MONTHS of talking to them in chat... email... PM's... I decided... that I would back this project using my full rep....

It's not often that happens... just goes to show how much i genuinely like the Neosd device...

xROTx

PS. Darksoft can still go fuck himself... even if he releases a product a zillion times better...

...I like these guys:D... they treated the scene and our memberbase as well as anyone...

EXTRA EDIT: Some people have asked if I got anything out of this.. and the answer is.... I got nothing along the lines of a free device or stuffs...

I did it because I love the scene... and I felt this device was good for it...

phoenixdownita
04-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Use RAM (PSRAM):
Pros:
Very fast game change, as with the values computed above, and giving some room for overhead, it would take 20/25 seconds to rewrite the largest game (we will use this time as a base from now on)
More graphics for the frontend menus, as you can rewrite them every time you enter the menu
Cons:
You must wait up to 20/25 seconds every time the Neogeo boots. So boot to kof2003 10 times and you already waited the same time than flashing it.
You must write the game (or at least the P data) before the bios boots, otherwise it will show cross hatch so you have 2 options: either keep the board reset while you do that (having a ugly random colored squares screen, and it also won't work on all boards) or always boot to a small bootstrap that shows a "loading" screen (this will cause its own kind of issues with the BIOS though, especially with the test mode).

This version has a less "real" experience as you either wait, or see an interim screen before the game boots. This favors people that switchs games a lot. And booting to the same game several times in a row quickly approaches to the time taken to flash it. Also it might have some issues with BIOS as you aren't booting straight to the game code.

Wrt PSRAM usage I was more thinking along the lines of the Everdrives, when rebooting the cart remembers the last selection but DOES NOT load it (unless configured to do so) and simply presents the selection menu in which a game can be loaded with the option to reload last played (and a setting to do autoreload on boot for people that so choose).
The ED64 can load 512Mbits N64 roms (64MBytes) pretty quickly (10 secs or so) for the NeoGeo kof2003 it could have just taken maximum twice as much (even if takes 3 times [say 30 sec] it still beats 3mins)

In any case thanks for the awesome explanation. Size of the load is what matters I reckon, I am not sure why NeoSD couldn't hit the full 10MB/second a class 10 if needed (you can park data in the FPGA blockRAM while rerouting it onto the appropriate "sections" to buffer for slow pokes, if the ARM uC can't do it maybe a softcore on the FPGA can .... but I am just speculating here, so may as well stop pulling stuff out of my axx).

Again thanks a lot for the explanation I didn't mean to come out as complaining, NeoSD already stated they don't care to develop a PSRAM version (at least for now) ... finally it makes more sense for AES/CMVS where game switching is likely more frequent by nature of being home consoles. When I was younger I could play hours on end on a single game now I switch more frequently (and I may have to squeeze my sessions in 20/30mins total hence why loading time vs boot time are more important to me).

Keep up the good work, looking forward to see CTHD on AES .... that'd be the cherry on top.

neodev
04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Wrt PSRAM usage I was more thinking along the lines of the Everdrives, when rebooting the cart remembers the last selection but DOES NOT load it (unless configured to do so) and simply presents the selection menu in which a game can be loaded with the option to reload last played (and a setting to do autoreload on boot for people that so choose).
The ED64 can load 512Mbits N64 roms (64MBytes) pretty quickly (10 secs or so) for the NeoGeo kof2003 it could have just taken maximum twice as much (even if takes 3 times [say 30 sec] it still beats 3mins)

In any case thanks for the awesome explanation. Size of the load is what matters I reckon, I am not sure why NeoSD couldn't hit the full 10MB/second a class 10 if needed (you can park data in the FPGA blockRAM while rerouting it onto the appropriate "sections" to buffer for slow pokes, if the ARM uC can't do it maybe a softcore on the FPGA can .... but I am just speculating here, so may as well stop pulling stuff out of my axx).

Again thanks a lot for the explanation I didn't mean to come out as complaining, NeoSD already stated they don't care to develop a PSRAM version (at least for now) ... finally it makes more sense for AES/CMVS where game switching is likely more frequent by nature of being home consoles. When I was younger I could play hours on end on a single game now I switch more frequently (and I may have to squeeze my sessions in 20/30mins total hence why loading time vs boot time are more important to me).

Keep up the good work, looking forward to see CTHD on AES .... that'd be the cherry on top.

The STM32 ARM should be capable of reading up to 12.5MB/s but the actual time is spent in waiting for the data sent to the flashroms to be actually written, as it's a slow operation.

Also, booting straight to the game as a real cart was one of our main goals since the beginning of the project

phoenixdownita
04-03-2017, 10:23 PM
The STM32 ARM should be capable of reading up to 12.5MB/s but the actual time is spent in waiting for the data sent to the flashroms to be actually written, as it's a slow operation.

Also, booting straight to the game as a real cart was one of our main goals since the beginning of the project

A way to have your cake and eat it too would have been to "copy" the modern BBU disk controllers design, with or without the battery depending on how deep you want to mask the dual design.
They have both RAM and Flash, when the power goes away they switch to an onboard battery that just allows them to copy the RAM to flash then at startup they do the opposite if there's something in flash.

For the NeoSD a dual approach RAM + Flash could have been used where one game is resident and instantly bootable while the RAM is used for fast load of ephemeral games ... it would have added to the cost but that could have been "one ring to rule them all ....".
The user could then chose to load in RAM or flash as he sees fit to his/her usage.

Again not complaining as in the end I am happy with the NeoSD, just throwing out ideas.
Given this is the support forum of the NeoSD AES I think I should refrain from further "design considerations" as I recognize it's indeed out of topic, hopefully the admins won't get too annoyed by my minor quibbles.

lachlan
04-04-2017, 05:47 AM
hopefully the admins won't get too annoyed by my minor quibbles.

Forget the admins, it's the underfed animals below them that'll skin you and wear you like a hat.

Gyrian
04-04-2017, 06:55 AM
I have an identical setup (with official UK Mega Drive PSU) and I'm not getting the glitches. Have you checked the PSU or tried an alternative?

Appreciate the suggestion, I'll give this a try. I have another same model PSU I could test.

That pixel glitch looks simular to those obtained when work was done trying to get AES carts working on MVS systems. It suggests the cause may be the result of a slight timing issue in the PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC emulation on the AES NeoSD.

That is unless the game in the video is that SSV xbox hack, that has pixel glitching but it is related to paletteRAM access.

Thanks, Raz. This was SSV Special MVS (samsho5sp), although I've seen the same effect in other games too. Off the top of my head, Metal Slug 3 and Neo Turf Masters exhibited this also. Doesn't seem to happen every single time with these games, although it does appear more common with SSVS.

I'll write the NeoSD team to ask about this, given there has been no answer here.

neodev
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Appreciate the suggestion, I'll give this a try. I have another same model PSU I could test.

Thanks, Raz. This was SSV Special MVS (samsho5sp), although I've seen the same effect in other games too. Off the top of my head, Metal Slug 3 and Neo Turf Masters exhibited this also. Doesn't seem to happen every single time with these games, although it does appear more common with SSVS.

I'll write the NeoSD team to ask about this, given there has been no answer here.

Please, send us an email with your cartridge serial number. We have an improved firmware that has fixed the issues for some people with similar problems.

Gyrian
04-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Please, send us an email with your cartridge serial number. We have an improved firmware that has fixed the issues for some people with similar problems.

I am trying this update right now and it seems to have addressed the problem, thank you! :)

Happosai
04-13-2017, 05:55 PM
how many erase/rewrite are possible on the microchips ? what is their lifetime ?

lachlan
04-13-2017, 07:10 PM
how many erase/rewrite are possible on the microchips ? what is their lifetime ?

It's been stated in the main NEOSD thread but its something in the order of 30 years of 10 game changes a day.

Happosai
04-14-2017, 02:26 PM
great, thank you :)

Dampfwalze
04-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Hi NeoDev.
Today I wanted to check if there are new Firmware Updates for my AES NeoSD cart. When I bought the cart I had to create an account and with that account I could enter the order informations and I saw my bought product and if there was a new Update.
Now I wanted to do the same but I can't find the registered product in my account. Then I tried to enter the support section and there I had to give an account name and passwort. For the old account there was no account name, just email and passwort. Please help. Thank you.

loganm187
04-17-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm all of a sudden having tons of issues with my AES flashcart.

First of all When i first got my Cart when I would load a game it would go to a black screen and get loud screeching sounds. I then got new firmware from neosd and it fixed it and has been fine since then. I have a very low serial number US AES system.

Last night I go to load Metal Slug and when it got finished loading it I only get sound. I then reset and would get huge blank blocks and sound, I reset a second time and I'd get picture and sound, but after the menu the game would start screaming at me. I then turned the system off and re-inserted the cart. It booted to the main game select menu.

I then just try to load a small game, Art of fighting 2. After erasing metal slug and it goes to flash art of fighting it just goes blank and skreeches at me again just like before the update.

I then try various other games with the same results. It's like it has just reverted to before the firmware update. I checked the SD card, it's fine. My rom set is 100 percent verified and real AES carts work perfectly with no issues.

Upon further testing it just seems totally random. One time a game will load perfectly, then the next time it will freak out. It's not consistent at all and all my legit AES games work perfect. My contacts are clean and snug. I'm stumped and my neo geo party was a mess :( lol

Any help would be awesome.

neosd
04-17-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm all of a sudden having tons of issues with my AES flashcart.

First of all When i first got my Cart when I would load a game it would go to a black screen and get loud screeching sounds. I then got new firmware from neosd and it fixed it and has been fine since then. I have a very low serial number US AES system.

Last night I go to load Metal Slug and when it got finished loading it I only get sound. I then reset and would get huge blank blocks and sound, I reset a second time and I'd get picture and sound, but after the menu the game would start screaming at me. I then turned the system off and re-inserted the cart. It booted to the main game select menu.

I then just try to load a small game, Art of fighting 2. After erasing metal slug and it goes to flash art of fighting it just goes blank and skreeches at me again just like before the update.

I then try various other games with the same results. It's like it has just reverted to before the firmware update. I checked the SD card, it's fine. My rom set is 100 percent verified and real AES carts work perfectly with no issues.

Upon further testing it just seems totally random. One time a game will load perfectly, then the next time it will freak out. It's not consistent at all and all my legit AES games work perfect. My contacts are clean and snug. I'm stumped and my neo geo party was a mess :( lol

Any help would be awesome.

Are you using an original AES AC Adaptor ?
I am asking you that cause i had such issues back in time and it was caused by the size of the ac adaptor plug being different than the original and this was causing power problems. Reading your post it may be that you moved the cable on the ac adaptor and its falling, YES, this happened to me aswel, it was working fine, i moved the cable and started failing ...

About original carts working fine on your AES : yes, they were working on mine aswel, neosd is pretty different than an original game, so this means nothing at all.

Thanks

Hi NeoDev.
Today I wanted to check if there are new Firmware Updates for my AES NeoSD cart. When I bought the cart I had to create an account and with that account I could enter the order informations and I saw my bought product and if there was a new Update.
Now I wanted to do the same but I can't find the registered product in my account. Then I tried to enter the support section and there I had to give an account name and passwort. For the old account there was no account name, just email and passwort. Please help. Thank you.

No public firmware update avaliable, if you need support just send us an email.

We send an email to every customer when a new firmware update is avaliable.

loganm187
04-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Are you using an original AES AC Adaptor ?
I am asking you that cause i had such issues back in time and it was caused by the size of the ac adaptor plug being different than the original and this was causing power problems. Reading your post it may be that you moved the cable on the ac adaptor and its falling, YES, this happened to me aswel, it was working fine, i moved the cable and started failing ...

About original carts working fine on your AES : yes, they were working on mine aswel, neosd is pretty different than an original game, so this means nothing at all.

Thanks

No public firmware update avaliable, if you need support just send us an email.

We send an email to every customer when a new firmware update is avaliable.

I have an original AC adapter and it's the correct one. I re plugged the system back in and it's been great since. so weird!

GadgetUK
04-18-2017, 11:50 AM
I have an original AC adapter and it's the correct one. I re plugged the system back in and it's been great since. so weird!
It could be that the PSU needs recapping - not uncommon for AES PSUs. I've had to recap the last 3 that have come my way - all three had leaking caps.

zipxavier
04-18-2017, 12:06 PM
I recently received my NeoSD AES and while I do love it, it came with the NeoSD MVS sticker on it.

Is there anyway I can be sent just the sticker for the AES version to apply myself?

neosd
04-18-2017, 12:59 PM
I recently received my NeoSD AES and while I do love it, it came with the NeoSD MVS sticker on it.

Is there anyway I can be sent just the sticker for the AES version to apply myself?

Hello,

Yes, email us, we will send you another sticker.

Sorry for the mistake

phoenixdownita
05-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Given you guys managed to get CTHD working on AES (I think that is part of the next firmware right?) any chance you can actually give the AES the fonts missing and sounds missing when playing in MVS mode? (you know the "Don't do drug" font and the sounds in the attract mode of some games).

Dunno if it is even possible just thought of asking. I know this would be an AES only feature but hey I would appreciate for sure.

beecee
05-05-2017, 02:35 AM
hi

i have just placed an order fro this brilliant device and cant wait for it to arrive.

i am trying to prepare my romset for it coming, but cannot download neobuilder from the download section, its empty as i dont have my serial number yet.

is there anyway i can get it before my unit arrives,

Rot
05-05-2017, 02:55 AM
hi

i have just placed an order fro this brilliant device and cant wait for it to arrive.

i am trying to prepare my romset for it coming, but cannot download neobuilder from the download section, its empty as i dont have my serial number yet.

is there anyway i can get it before my unit arrives,

You may download the file linked here (it is the pre-approved set of Neosd stuffs...):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269010-NEOSD-MVS-Support-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

Then ask for the password when I am in chat... Dumbass n00b...

beecee
05-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Dumbass n00b...

Ta Very much!!!!

we all start somewhere.:lolz:

loganm187
05-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Any clue at all when this next major software update will be out? I need red blood! ;)

Rot
05-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Any clue at all when this next major software update will be out? I need red blood! ;)

neodev is taking a deserved holiday... he should be back soon with an update...

xROTx

beecee
05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
i received my unit yesterday :buttrock: but when i go register it, the serial number is not recognised.
any help, as i am looking to convert my romset.

beecee
05-16-2017, 02:45 PM
quick service, now registered.:)

gusmoney
05-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Philly gets it (https://twitter.com/StoneAgeGamer/status/864561630696353792).

aha2940
05-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Philly gets it (https://twitter.com/StoneAgeGamer/status/864561630696353792).

Surpized how may people who supposedly are into the neogeo did not know about the NeoSD. I thought it was way more well-known by now. Also, I kind of like the label they use. Not a fan of the colors, but the simplicity somehow is attractive to me.

KainUK
05-19-2017, 03:41 AM
i received my unit yesterday :buttrock: but when i go register it, the serial number is not recognised.
any help, as i am looking to convert my romset.

I'm having same issue, how did you resolve this?

Cheers
Chris

Rot
05-19-2017, 04:20 AM
I'm having same issue, how did you resolve this?

Cheers
Chris

Neosd states... when registering.. just use the forgot password feature using the email you used to purchase the item...

ALSO... there is an easier solution than using the neeosd tool...

It is here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269010-NEOSD-MVS-Support-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

You will need to enter chat and discuss the password that is needed...

xROTx

PS. Manchester eh... I should ban you on principle...

neosd
05-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Hello,

We shipped the last NEOSDS before add the serials to the database, that happens when you want to deliver fast :)

We have just added all the new serials to the database.

If anyone is still having a serial not recognized, just send an email to contact@neosdstore..... this should be already fixed and no need for that ...

Sorry for the inconvenience, so many things to do, few time to do it ...

KainUK
05-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Cheers, much appreciated

Chris

phoenixdownita
05-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Any hint on when we can get to play CTHD on the AES ... (yeah I mean when the new FW is going to be made available)?

[please Rot don't ban me, I was out 2 and a half week on a trip, hope that silence didn't rub you the wrong way, for sure it shut me up for a little]

fille1976
05-24-2017, 01:26 PM
it will come when its finished,and let the guy take a break,its good weather,let them enjoy something else for a moment.

Rot
05-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Any hint on when we can get to play CTHD on the AES ... (yeah I mean when the new FW is going to be made available)?

[please Rot don't ban me, I was out 2 and a half week on a trip, hope that silence didn't rub you the wrong way, for sure it shut me up for a little]

The new firmware is in testing phase....

neodev has stated he is happy with the improvements...

There are more improvements he's added...

xROTx

PS. Relax... you'll know if you "upset" me....

You always get ONE warning... due to the fact that the Neosd Project is important....

benimaru7
05-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Got mine and all the roms loaded (cheers Rot)!
It's amazing to have every game available to play, but I discovered when I push 'Start A+D' to go back to the menu screen I get garbled graphics. It doesn't always appear this badly, but it happens when I go back to the menu from a game every now and again. Just turning the neo off, then on to the menu is ok. Any thoughts?

Neo sd with 1.05 firmware (ordered May)
Original 8w neo psu
Japanese aes serial 105020 (stock)
I cleaned the plug and cart slot also.

sheik
05-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Got mine and all the roms loaded (cheers Rot)!
I discovered when I push 'Start A+D' to go back to the menu screen I get garbled graphics. It doesn't always appear this badly, but it happens when I go back to the menu from a game every now and again. Just turning the neo off, then on to the menu is ok. Any thoughts?

Mine does this as well, although I don't fix by power cycling, I just reseat the cart ever so slightly (i.e. I don't bother removing it) and that fixes it most of the time.
My theory is that this is a connector issue, even though like you, I've cleaned it.

neodev
05-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Mine does this as well, although I don't fix by power cycling, I just reseat the cart ever so slightly (i.e. I don't bother removing it) and that fixes it most of the time.
My theory is that this is a connector issue, even though like you, I've cleaned it.

That is probably a glitch that we have seen in some AES boards (you both have AES I guess). Please, send us the serial numbers to contact(at)neosdstore.com and we'll send you an updated firmware.

benimaru7
05-30-2017, 02:18 AM
Thanks NeoDev, the new firmware loaded up completely fixed my glitch issue. Now everything works flawlessly.
Your product and support is second to none!:cool:

RAZO
06-12-2017, 07:29 PM
I've noticed one thing with my Aes NeoSd. Problem might be on my end and it's a random issue. I noticed that sometimes when I load a game I see random flashing pixels pop in different areas of the screen. Re-inserting the cart or Re-flashing the rom usually fixes the problem. Thought maybe someone might know what it is. I first noticed the issue playing Samsho 3 and thought it was a Samsho 3 only problem but also noticed it in the Art of Fighting Intro. Went ahead and popped in the original carts to see if it would do the same thing but no issue. It's not something that happens all the time.

phoenixdownita
06-12-2017, 11:07 PM
I've noticed one thing with my Aes NeoSd. Problem might be on my end and it's a random issue. I noticed that sometimes when I load a game I see random flashing pixels pop in different areas of the screen. Re-inserting the cart or Re-flashing the rom usually fixes the problem. Thought maybe someone might know what it is. I first noticed the issue playing Samsho 3 and thought it was a Samsho 3 only problem but also noticed it in the Art of Fighting Intro. Went ahead and popped in the original carts to see if it would do the same thing but no issue. It's not something that happens all the time.

I experienced the same issue in a couple of occasions and in my case I had to make sure the ground from the power barrel was "correctly" connected (I rotated the barrel connector clockwise and anticlockwise 20 times or something) and it disappeared [I am using a non original 3A power supply]. Never had the issue with an original cart or a 161-in-1 + MagicKey but I read elsewhere that the GND connection sometimes is the culprit.
Give it a shot.

RAZO
06-13-2017, 09:12 AM
I experienced the same issue in a couple of occasions and in my case I had to make sure the ground from the power barrel was "correctly" connected (I rotated the barrel connector clockwise and anticlockwise 20 times or something) and it disappeared [I am using a non original 3A power supply]. Never had the issue with an original cart or a 161-in-1 + MagicKey but I read elsewhere that the GND connection sometimes is the culprit.
Give it a shot.

I am using the original 3A Pro-Pow adapter. Been testing the last two days and no pixels so I'm thinking it's something leaning towards my end. Next time I see the pixels I'll mess around with the barrel and see if that fixes it.

phoenixdownita
06-14-2017, 12:46 AM
I am using the original 3A Pro-Pow adapter. Been testing the last two days and no pixels so I'm thinking it's something leaning towards my end. Next time I see the pixels I'll mess around with the barrel and see if that fixes it.

Ohh .... I forgot to mention that in my case my unit uses a PRO-POW3 (which were rated 10V 1A), I replaced that with a 12V 3A, a little out of specs but I wanted a higher Amp than stock available.

greatfunky
06-14-2017, 06:11 AM
I've noticed those glitches too , appearing from time to time , i think it's related to the biggest glitch issue on some boards .
I 'm confident , the next firmware will probably fix it :).

RAZO
06-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I've noticed those glitches too , appearing from time to time , i think it's related to the biggest glitch issue on some boards .
I 'm confident , the next firmware will probably fix it :).

Ok, good to know there are more people experiencing the same thing. Yea, hopefully the next firmware update fixes the issue. Thanks

Rot
06-14-2017, 10:03 AM
neodev says the next firmware fix is pretty cool...

But then again... he's Spanish... and cool could be some sort of Paella or something...

xROTx

WNivek
06-14-2017, 10:19 AM

But then again... he's Spanish... and cool could be some sort of Paella or something...

xROTx

I, for one, am pretty excited for the world's first Neo Geo paella cart.

FilthyRear
06-14-2017, 11:04 AM

xROTx

I think you might be thinking of Gazpacho.

Electric Grave
06-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Don Gabacho?!

Sceptre_JLRB
06-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Neither paella (from Valencia) nor gazpacho (from Córdoba, mine), but... Pulpo a la gallega ('octopus to the Galician')!!!

Electric Grave
06-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Una Paella de la costa es lo que se necesita aqui!!!

aha2940
06-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Una Paella de la costa es lo que se necesita aqui!!!

+1

Rot
06-14-2017, 03:36 PM
IF... I wanted this to be a thread in the International forums...

I would've moved it...

...THINK on it... dumbasses....

xROTx

Shipwreck_00
06-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Is there a link for step by step instructions on how to get the roms on the cart properly for technically challenged people like myself?

Rot
06-27-2017, 02:18 AM
Is there a link for step by step instructions on how to get the roms on the cart properly for technically challenged people like myself?

Yes...

Go to THIS link... http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269010-NEOSD-MVS-Support-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

Download the FIRST File...

Come to chat... or ONE time PM... for password...

Extract (Using 7-zip for Windoze PC's... Macs are different...)...

Copy and past onto 16GB Micro SD card...

Fuckin' Done...

xROTx

PS. I still don't believe after 6 months I still have to tell people this...

Gatchaman
06-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Is there a full release notes list for 1.06? Didn't see one here or on neosdstore.

Thanks,
G~

neosd
06-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Is there a full release notes list for 1.06? Didn't see one here or on neosdstore.

Thanks,
G~

Refresh ;)

You got us working on it ...

aha2940
06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Refresh ;)

You got us working on it ...

Downloaded the update, and read the whatsnew file. Cool new features, thanks for the hard work. One question: are the softdips saved when you choose them for every game? if so, are they restored automatically when the game starts again?

Thanks!

neodev
06-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Downloaded the update, and read the whatsnew file. Cool new features, thanks for the hard work. One question: are the softdips saved when you choose them for every game? if so, are they restored automatically when the game starts again?

Thanks!

When you edit the softdips of the current loaded game, they are updated in the MVS backup ram (and in the SD file) so they take effect immediately. When you edit the softdips of a game that is not loaded, they are stored in the SD, and when you load the game, they will be updated in the MVS backup ram.

aha2940
06-27-2017, 03:17 PM
When you edit the softdips of the current loaded game, they are updated in the MVS backup ram (and in the SD file) so they take effect immediately. When you edit the softdips of a game that is not loaded, they are stored in the SD, and when you load the game, they will be updated in the MVS backup ram.

Thanks neodev, that was what I was really hoping. One more question that just occured to me: is there any way to return to the previous firmware version of my neosd if for any crazy reason I want/need to? I know there should be no reason for that, but some times it is needed...

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found my own answer: the update procedure TXT file says that regular update can only update firmware to higher versions, whereas the forced one works with higher or equal versions of firmware, so it seems there is no going back. Anyway, will update to 1.06, thanks!!

Edit2: I was wrong, see neodev's post below.

neosd
06-27-2017, 03:18 PM

Thanks!

I think the changelog is larger, but we have done so many firmware updates since the 1.05 public one (i would say more than 100 versions) that we donīt remember when we added or fixed a function.

Thanks

neodev
06-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks neodev, that was what I was really hoping. One more question that just occured to me: is there any way to return to the previous firmware version of my neosd if for any crazy reason I want/need to? I know there should be no reason for that, but some times it is needed...

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible to return to a previous version, but you can't use an ordinary update file, as those only allow to update. We need to send you a special firmware so neosd accepts it as a downgrade firmware.

aha2940
06-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Yes, it's possible to return to a previous version, but you can't use an ordinary update file, as those only allow to update. We need to send you a special firmware so neosd accepts it as a downgrade firmware.

Very nice neodev, not that I foresee needing it, but it's always nice to have a safety net when playing with expensive toys, LOL.

Thanks!

neodev
06-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Very nice neodev, not that I foresee needing it, but it's always nice to have a safety net when playing with expensive toys, LOL.

Thanks!

The cart also has a "safe mode" update, in case anything was wrong with the update and it doesn't boot, you can re-flash it even if the cart doesn't boot. It's explained in the readme inside the firmware zip, but I expect noone need to use it.

aha2940
06-27-2017, 03:53 PM
The cart also has a "safe mode" update, in case anything was wrong with the update and it doesn't boot, you can re-flash it even if the cart doesn't boot. It's explained in the readme inside the firmware zip, but I expect noone need to use it.

Just FYI: successfully updated my neosd to latest version 1.06. Verified versions (MCU, PROG and CHA) and all match. I used the MVS neosd on an AES, through a Daedalus converter. I know converters are not supported, but it's nice for me knowing that it worked flawlessly.

fille1976
06-29-2017, 04:30 AM
@ neosd,i have found maybe something on game id=0270 samurai shodown V special.
i play it on neo geo aes-unibios 3.3 and console is on region usa and console mode.
the neosd aes is on version 1.06 r10
its a flickering problem in the intro screen,pic and video availlable,i don't know its normal.
its most visible in the yellow.
other games seems fine,gona test some more games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODt26TROV5c&feature=youtu.be
can someone else check that problem,its not perfect quality,but i can see the white glitching in the intro.
also tested the crc,all ok.

i see its also on mame with this game,so this could be normal.

RAZO
06-29-2017, 08:34 AM
@ neosd,i have found maybe something on game id=0270 samurai shodown V special.
i play it on neo geo aes-unibios 3.3 and console is on region usa and console mode.
the neosd aes is on version 1.06 r10
its a flickering problem in the intro screen,pic and video availlable,i don't know its normal.
its most visible in the yellow.
other games seems fine,gona test some more games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODt26TROV5c&feature=youtu.be
can someone else check that problem,its not perfect quality,but i can see the white glitching in the intro.
also tested the crc,all ok.

i see its also on mame with this game,so this could be normal.

I mentioned this before. Usually reseating the cart and reflashing the Rom fixes the problem. I had it with Samsho 3 at the intro screen and could see pixels pop up. Even in the background during matches I could see random pixels pop up.

Check post #142

Edit:

If you see it in Mame than it's normal

fille1976
06-29-2017, 08:54 AM
yep,tried latest mame and loaded same game on it,same flicker there.
so i assume its normal,for the rest its works fantastic and is stable.
i don't flash many games,tryed 4 or so,gona play them for long time so i can enjoy the game.
if mor things come up i will post it here.
about your post #142,maybe more people have this?

RAZO
06-29-2017, 09:52 AM
yep,tried latest mame and loaded same game on it,same flicker there.
so i assume its normal,for the rest its works fantastic and is stable.
i don't flash many games,tryed 4 or so,gona play them for long time so i can enjoy the game.
if mor things come up i will post it here.
about your post #142,maybe more people have this?

Yes a few people had the same thing happen. After that day I never had a issue again. Could be a hardware or power issue that might have caused the problem.

fille1976
06-29-2017, 10:35 AM
i measured the psu,seems between 11.70-11.80
the black probe goes inside the psu pin and the red probe on the outside of the pin.
is this correct?

phoenixdownita
06-29-2017, 01:42 PM
First time I ran CRC check on CTHD with FW 1.06R10 (as it didn't work before on NeoSD.AES) and it does not pass, half the memory banks pass, half do not. (I have Uni 3.2 on my AES)
[to be fair I loaded CTHD, then wanting to mess up with the region/mode in Uni and by mistake pressed the CRC feature ..... but hey something I didn't expect/know came out]

I know CTHD is a hack so maybe that's why, or maybe to make it work on the AES NeoSD has to patch it as it loads it, dunno.
Just thought of asking here to make sure it's a known no-issue.

neodev
06-29-2017, 03:04 PM
First time I ran CRC check on CTHD with FW 1.06R10 (as it didn't work before on NeoSD.AES) and it does not pass, half the memory banks pass, half do not. (I have Uni 3.2 on my AES)
[to be fair I loaded CTHD, then wanting to mess up with the region/mode in Uni and by mistake pressed the CRC feature ..... but hey something I didn't expect/know came out]

I know CTHD is a hack so maybe that's why, or maybe to make it work on the AES NeoSD has to patch it as it loads it, dunno.
Just thought of asking here to make sure it's a known no-issue.

Yes, that's not an issue. If you look at mame code, you'll notice cthd is full of patches to workaround issues with that game (probably the control chip patches data on the fly and it's incomplete), also in order to make it run on an aes, it requires patching the backup ram check protection. It's the only way as aes doesn't have a backup ram and there is no way we could pass it by programming changes in the fpga.
Also, I suppose unibios is using actual cthd crcs, and not checking against the original game.

Tl;dr; cthd crc check fail is expected.

neodev
06-29-2017, 03:15 PM
i measured the psu,seems between 11.70-11.80
the black probe goes inside the psu pin and the red probe on the outside of the pin.
is this correct?

That's ok. It will be regulated internally to 5v, so it's not an issue. Voltage ripple is more important.but as RAZ_HOE said, if you see them also in mame, it's not a hwrdware glitch, but a software bug of the original game.

fille1976
06-30-2017, 01:23 AM
i measure it again,and it seems stable at 11.70v,so psu is okay.
so if its a software bug,nothing can be done about it.
tryed other game,and that was fine.

Shipwreck_00
06-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Yes...

Go to THIS link... http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269010-NEOSD-MVS-Support-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

Fuckin' Done...

xROTx

Sorry Rot, I figured it out thanks

Lemmy_Mot?head
07-02-2017, 02:36 AM
I'm looking to buy one of these carts, but I noticed the ROMBUILDER is only for Windows? I use MAC and Android and don't have access to a Windows PC, so is the cart useless to me?

Razoola
07-02-2017, 03:23 AM
If you look hard enough you will find a link to download.. try http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?269010-NEOSD-MVS-Support-thread- post 44

donluca
07-02-2017, 05:44 AM
I'm looking to buy one of these carts, but I noticed the ROMBUILDER is only for Windows? I use MAC and Android and don't have access to a Windows PC, so is the cart useless to me?

Since it's a simple command line software (right?) I think you can run it on Macs using Wine.

Get wine here: https://www.winehq.org/

Install it, then open a terminal, cd to the directory where rombuilder is and run "wine rombuilder.exe" and is should work.

TwinFami
07-02-2017, 06:32 AM
Yes...

Fuckin' Done...

xROTx

This wouldn’t happen to have some “Pink Bullets” in it, would it? My cart is from the MAME 0.187 set and I’m getting asked to try certain games that I can’t find.

phoenixdownita
07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
This wouldn’t happen to have some “Pink Bullets” in it, would it? My cart is from the MAME 0.187 set and I’m getting asked to try certain games that I can’t find.
Not that I know of, and if memory serves NeoSD team has stated they do not want to condone piracy against currently circulating indie/homebrews etc... so they do not plan to explicitly support those games either.

Rot
07-02-2017, 12:34 PM
As far as i know... NONE OF THE NG.dev titles will be officially supported by the Neosd...

Last Hope was pre-dumped and may work... but it's not officially supported...

This was agreed by Neosd and NG.Dev... however, I do recall that the NG.dev team were sorta blunt in convos with Neosd...

This is the issue with not having a forum presence... the Neosd team could've got pissed and told them to fook off... as it's not their prob if someone dumps the NG.dev library of games... (And they happen to work on the neosd device even with crc errors...)...

Smoothing over stuff is what i'm good at... however, I will happily admit I'm equally good at creating one massive fuckfest...

xROTx

PS. Gotta' take the good with the bad eh lads?

TwinFami
07-02-2017, 03:50 PM
So, what’s this “homebrew” that people were asking me about on my Facebook post? If it’s not the NG.Dev stuff, what is it? Personally, I’d like to see a test rom like is on the NES where it checks the controller, and system chips.

FBBTJ
07-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Hello,

I don't know if you allready talk about that "issue" but i have a overcloked Neo Geo (12 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a switch) and when i launch Metal Slug (the first one) on the NeoSD with the Neo Geo overcloked to 15Mhz the game fail :
- Overclocked set to OFF with a Debug Bios => OK
- Overclocked set to ON with a Debug Bios => KO (randomly during the first stage)
- Overclocked set to ON with the original Bios => KO (at the biginning of the first stage)
- Overclocked set to ON with the last version of UniBios => KO (at the very begining of the first stage)

We have tested this "issue" with two different Neo Geo, with the joypad and the regular joystick. But we didn't manage to reach the second stage of the game.

neodev
07-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Hello,

I don't know if you allready talk about that "issue" but i have a overcloked Neo Geo (12 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a switch) and when i launch Metal Slug (the first one) on the NeoSD with the Neo Geo overcloked to 15Mhz the game fail :
- Overclocked set to OFF with a Debug Bios => OK
- Overclocked set to ON with a Debug Bios => KO (randomly during the first stage)
- Overclocked set to ON with the original Bios => KO (at the biginning of the first stage)
- Overclocked set to ON with the last version of UniBios => KO (at the very begining of the first stage)

We have tested this "issue" with two different Neo Geo, with the joypad and the regular joystick. But we didn't manage to reach the second stage of the game.

Hello

Can you do a quick test? go to the Options menu and enable the "Cartridge Mode". exit the options menu, turn the neogeo off, remove the SD card, and play the game without the SD card.

FBBTJ
07-05-2017, 08:59 AM
OK. I will do that this evening and let you know.
By the way, this is 14.7456 Mhz (not exactly 15 Mhz).

FBBTJ
07-06-2017, 01:56 PM
I tried without the SD card but this is the same thing. The game crash during the first stage :-(

neodev
07-06-2017, 02:09 PM
I tried without the SD card but this is the same thing. The game crash during the first stage :-(

Did you enable cartridge mode in the options menu?. If you don't have that option, you may need to upgrade the firmware.

FBBTJ
07-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Ho ! No sorry... I thought it was "game". I will update in few minutes.

FBBTJ
07-06-2017, 02:49 PM
I've just updated with NeoSD_firmware_1.06. I enabled cartrige mode and i tested with and without the SD card but this is the same. The game crash. Very very quick this time (even before the first level start).

PS (edit) : I've also tested switching OFF the overclock and i reached the midle of the second stage without any problem.

neodev
07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
I've just updated with NeoSD_firmware_1.06. I enabled cartrige mode and i tested with and without the SD card but this is the same. The game crash. Very very quick this time (even before the first level start).

PS (edit) : I've also tested switching OFF the overclock and i reached the midle of the second stage without any problem.

Thanks for the test. We'll investigate the issue. Meantime, is it working fine without overclock?

FBBTJ
07-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Yes ! It works great without overclock ! Thanks for that !

Maybe this is useless, but i also tried setting BIOS mod in AES+JAP in the NeoSD and that didn't help (with or without the SD card). I'm using a Debug BIOS. But, as i said i have tested it last month with a Neo Geo with a Uni bios and with a original bios and we have the same problem.

FBBTJ
07-06-2017, 06:54 PM
More informations if it can help a little...

When my Neo Geo is overclocked (overclock set to ON) :
- NeoSD "Fatal Fury 2" didn't work but real cartridge of "Fatal Fury 2" work,
- NeoSD "Metal Slug X" didn't work but real cartridge of "Metal Slug X" work,
- NeoSD "Shock Troopers" didn't work but my bootleg cartridge of "Shock Troopers" works with a lot of graphic glitch,
- NeoSD "World Heroes 2" work with a lot of graphic glitch / i don't have the real cartridge of this game but maybe that there will be a lot of graphic glitch too with a real cartridge of this game.

I have tested it with and without the SD card and with the cartridge mode set to on and off. It doesn't change a thing.

When overclock is set to OFF, all these games work great with NeoSD.

Razoola
07-07-2017, 12:48 AM
It might help to know what actually happens. If you use the unibios, does the game simply reset or do you sometimes get a unibios error screen. If so a picture of the error screens (two pictures,one with address registers and one with data registers of the same error) might be helpfull.

FBBTJ
07-07-2017, 11:39 AM
At home, i only have a Neo Geo with a Debug Bios. It's more complicate for me if i have to test it on a Unibios Neo Geo at the shop where i gone for previous tests.
But i can do picture of error screen too. Before the firmware update, the game reset most of the time, but with the last firmware games crash a lot faster but i have error screen more often.
I will post it here if you want.

Do i have to test it with cartridge mode ON and SD card OFF or it does'nt matter ?

Lemmy_Mot?head
07-09-2017, 09:46 AM
There's no support for MAC, so no go for me....

Rot
07-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Then leave... don't come back...

EASY...

aha2940
07-09-2017, 09:13 PM

I have a mac and the neosd works perfectly for me.

wyo
07-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Any relation to theMot?

Sunken
07-20-2017, 10:03 AM
I've checked all 4 versions of Garou MOTW and the second intro is missing (I only have the Terry & Geese intro).

My Neo have a Japanese stock BIOS and Neo SD with 1.06 firmware.

aha2940
07-20-2017, 10:34 AM
I've checked all 4 versions of Garou MOTW and the second intro is missing (I only have the Terry & Geese intro).

My Neo have a Japanese stock BIOS and Neo SD with 1.06 firmware.

Same here.

neodev
07-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Same here.

It seems garou is confusing the continuous highscore save code and causing it to reload the backup ram every loop, thus always showing the same intro. If you set the save mode to Game Change or Off you should see it. We'll look into it.

aha2940
07-20-2017, 10:24 PM
We'll look into it.

Thanks.

Razoola
07-21-2017, 01:34 AM
There will be many games with the same issue. Its imperritive that backupRAM is saved at the end of attract mode and then reloaded. This has big implications, espicially on multislot hardware. Games store alot more than just highscores in backupRAM. As you have discovered there is an attract mode counter for example with will cause the same game demo seen to play over and over instead of changing each cycle. Many also place the sound code buffer there and some games even place raster code in this region too.

I found the same issue with NeoGeoLand but its an easy fix so there is no worries about it not being fixed.

neodev
07-21-2017, 03:49 AM
There will be many games with the same issue. Its imperritive that backupRAM is saved at the end of attract mode and then reloaded. This has big implications, espicially on multislot hardware. Games store alot more than just highscores in backupRAM. As you have discovered there is an attract mode counter for example with will cause the same game demo seen to play over and over instead of changing each cycle. Many also place the sound code buffer there and some games even place raster code in this region too.

I found the same issue with NeoGeoLand but its an easy fix so there is no worries about it not being fixed.

Yes, but it's not a backupram save issue, but that garou is clearing a supposedly unused part of the ram in the bios area where I'm storing some state to know if I it's the first time (to load) or not (to save) the ram to the sd.
The fix is just a matter of moving this state var to a different address.

Razoola
07-21-2017, 04:27 AM
Yes, but it's not a backupram save issue, but that garou is clearing a supposedly unused part of the ram in the bios area where I'm storing some state to know if I it's the first time (to load) or not (to save) the ram to the sd.
The fix is just a matter of moving this state var to a different address.

Do you not have a spare internal RAM location you can use?

neodev
07-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Do you not have a spare internal RAM location you can use?

Yes, but it's in the main ram for a good reason.

Morden
07-21-2017, 07:19 AM
There will be many games with the same issue. Its imperritive that backupRAM is saved at the end of attract mode and then reloaded. This has big implications, espicially on multislot hardware. Games store alot more than just highscores in backupRAM. As you have discovered there is an attract mode counter for example with will cause the same game demo seen to play over and over instead of changing each cycle.

I was just about to report that the issue isn't limited to MotW. I've noticed looped attract mode in World Heroes Perfect, where the same demo fight would display each and every time [and play out in the exact same way, so I guess they're scripted, not cpu vs cpu].

Sunken
07-24-2017, 04:47 AM
I don't know if people have tried V-Liner but the game can't boot (the 2 sets) and The Irritating Maze controls don't work as it's intended to be played with a trackball.

Morden
07-24-2017, 07:08 AM
I don't know if people have tried V-Liner but the game can't boot (the 2 sets) and The Irritating Maze controls don't work as it's intended to be played with a trackball.

I can confirm the V-Liner problem. Just tried it on MV1-FZ. The Neo puts itself in a reset loop, but the only thing I get is the Uni BIOS version info screen, then reset, Uni screen, reset and so on. Both sets. I do remember it booting on a previous firmware. As for Irritating Maze, this is not a NeoSD issue, and as far as I'm aware, there is a cheat mapping the controls to a stick in later versions of the Uni BIOS. I'm still on 2.0.

Sunken
07-24-2017, 07:17 PM
I didn't knew about the Unibios hack for the trackball but that would be a great addition to the NEOSD.

heihachi
07-29-2017, 08:44 AM
I've been having the flickering pixel issue that some have mentioned through out the thread, but it only happens intermittently. Have people figured out what exactly causes this? My AES is a JP 3-6 with replacement power supply, but issue has popped up using the stock supply as well. NeoSD is on the 1.06 firmware. I've had no similar issues with the MVS NeoSD running on an Omega.

Morden
07-29-2017, 09:22 AM
I didn't knew about the Unibios hack for the trackball but that would be a great addition to the NEOSD.

You mean to have NeoSD patch the game for stick controls? I think you're better off getting a Uni BIOS. I don't see why a Neo Geo owner wouldn't, to be honest. I don't need to mention what it does, but it does A LOT, and whether it's Irritating Maze you want to play, or something else entirely, but with cheats or a "pause menu" for MVS, it's a must have.

Shipwreck_00
08-05-2017, 10:34 PM
All I can say is that I've had the NeoSD now for a little over a month and I'm completely satisfied with everything with it. I can't wait to see if some cracks into it and makes it so you can play the NGPC games on it. How awesome would it be to play the NGPC games on the tv.

pixeljunkie
08-09-2017, 01:43 PM
I haven't updated my FW yet - how necessary is it? Does it speed up load times at all?

Sunken
08-09-2017, 02:29 PM
I haven't updated my FW yet - how necessary is it? Does it speed up load times at all?

Depending on your FW, the latest one adds better loading times, jukebox and more...

Rot
08-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Pixel pal...

Don't you even read the threads... before you ask a question?

xROTx

PS. If it was a nubster asking this question... they'd get killorz...

...just putting it out there...

pixeljunkie
08-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Pixel pal...

Don't you even read the threads... before you ask a question?

xROTx

PS. If it was a nubster asking this question... they'd get killorz...

...just putting it out there...

That was my bad...I blame alcohol

FBX
08-11-2017, 05:45 AM
So my thread question got locked in the tech forum, but I'm starting to think my issue is my AES3-3 console itself. What the problem is: I noticed black (sometimes white) flickering random pixels in some games I've tested on the NEOSD. The intro to SVC Chaos was showing a fair amount, but now that I've let in run in attract mode for several minutes, they are significantly reduced in frequency. I've already cleaned the contacts a few times, and the console booted to blue screen just fine without a game.

neodev
08-11-2017, 06:57 AM
So my thread question got locked in the tech forum, but I'm starting to think my issue is my AES3-3 console itself. What the problem is: I noticed black (sometimes white) flickering random pixels in some games I've tested on the NEOSD. The intro to SVC Chaos was showing a fair amount, but now that I've let in run in attract mode for several minutes, they are significantly reduced in frequency. I've already cleaned the contacts a few times, and the console booted to blue screen just fine without a game.

Hello

Can you check and post (here or PM) the versions shown in neosd options menu for CHA and PROG ?

FBX
08-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Hello

Can you check and post (here or PM) the versions shown in neosd options menu for CHA and PROG ?

PROG: 1D2F
CHA: BDC4

I see there's been a newer release of the software for NEOSD, so I will update that to see if it helps. Although I'm more inclined to believe the problem may be physical.

Edit: I stand corrected! Updating the firmware to the latest seems to have fixed the issue. I just loaded up SVC Chaos and there were no artifacts this time. My apologies about the false alarm, and thanks for the update!

Edit 2: A friend told me this is a known issue with some AES consoles, and that the trick is to power-cycle the console. He says the issue really is with my console and not the NEOSD.

Happosai
08-18-2017, 11:33 AM
hi there, I've a simple question : how to scale up the size of the neobuilder UI ? I can't see all the UI

Rot
08-18-2017, 12:50 PM
hi there, I've a simple question : how to scale up the size of the neobuilder UI ? I can't see all the UI

How about you read the fact that no one uses the neobuilder on NG.com...

And if you fucking read the forum correctly you'd find that there was a solution to this...

xROTx

PS. I am feeling a bit "aggressive" this evening... my advice... heed all warnings given and READ the fucking forum...

Don't be a lurking bitch...

brandonx76
08-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Hi - having a Neo Geo SD problem - system won't boot with the Neo SD...I had a power outage during an 'erase flash' / 'load rom' process I believe. My system works ok with a a regular cartridge...so I think the problem is with Neo SD. Any suggested steps to recover appreciated. Thank you!

neodev
08-27-2017, 03:49 AM
Hi - having a Neo Geo SD problem - system won't boot with the Neo SD...I had a power outage during an 'erase flash' / 'load rom' process I believe. My system works ok with a a regular cartridge...so I think the problem is with Neo SD. Any suggested steps to recover appreciated. Thank you!

Put the sd on your PC and check if there is a file named lastgame.cfg if so, delete it. If it doesnt work, create a file named reset.cfg with any content, and putnthe sd back on your neosd

brandonx76
08-27-2017, 09:47 AM
That worked!! there was no 'lastgame.cfg' file...so the reset.cfg did the trick...now that it works, I'm deleting the reset.cfg from the SD card now.

Thanks guys, excellent product, excellent support!!

Put the sd on your PC and check if there is a file named lastgame.cfg if so, delete it. If it doesnt work, create a file named reset.cfg with any content, and putnthe sd back on your neosd

TotalMoop
08-27-2017, 10:10 AM
EDIT: Thread cant have fully loaded when I replied.

Pingu
08-29-2017, 11:02 AM
I seem to have a slight trouble with the FIX layer, some pixels flicker at times. It persists after reseating the cartridge but I don't have any other carts right now to rule out the AES itself.

neodev
08-30-2017, 02:35 AM
I seem to have a slight trouble with the FIX layer, some pixels flicker at times. It persists after reseating the cartridge but I don't have any other carts right now to rule out the AES itself.

Hello

Can you tell me your firmware version? if you are on 1.06 and still happening, let me know, as all those issues seemed fixed in latest firmware.

FBX
08-30-2017, 09:20 AM

I found setting the menu to boot straight to game on power up and then power-cycling the Neo Geo gets rid of the flickering. A friend of mine tells me that this is more the fault of the console and not the NeoSD (provided you are on the latest firmware of course).

ToastedThoughts
08-31-2017, 01:49 AM
Hello I am new to this place but I wanted some help please. When I got to the neosd website and try to go to downloads its says credentials dont exist or email does not exist. I am so bummed out because I wanted to get my neosd mvs cart working. Does anyone know what I should do?

Rot
08-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Hello I am new to this place but I wanted some help please. When I got to the neosd website and try to go to downloads its says credentials dont exist or email does not exist. I am so bummed out because I wanted to get my neosd mvs cart working. Does anyone know what I should do?

What EXACTLY is the issue... details would be best... new or not...

xROTx

ToastedThoughts
08-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Hello I am new to the collecting scene and had a couple questions if you the interenet people could please help me on this.

1. Should I go for a mvs or aes neosd flash cart? I have an japanese aes home console unibios installed with magic key converter.

2. I would like to choose the one that has more games which I think mvs does but if I can play the unreleased mvs carts on the aes flash drive then I think it dosent matter then I guess.

3. Anyone have any experience using the mvs neosd on a aes with the magic key converter? I have the green one that says for 120P Arcade MVS Cartridge.
Thank you reddit in advance you are awesome people.

Rot
08-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Hello I am new to the collecting scene and had a couple questions if you the interenet people could please help me on this.

OK... here goes...

1. Should I go for a mvs or aes neosd flash cart? I have an japanese aes home console unibios installed with magic key converter.

Get the AES version of the Neosd... the only difference is insignicant... something to do with Dip settings not allowed on the AES version i think...

2. I would like to choose the one that has more games which I think mvs does but if I can play the unreleased mvs carts on the aes flash drive then I think it dosent matter then I guess.

The game list... aka "SET of STUFFS'... found somewhere hidden on this site will allow you to play the FULL library on the AES version... the "Set" is compatible with the AES version and MVS version of the Neosd...

3. Anyone have any experience using the mvs neosd on a aes with the magic key converter? I have the green one that says for 120P Arcade MVS Cartridge.

You will need to read the ENTIRE neosd thread http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268514-MVS-amp-AES-NEOSD-flash-card-AES-Version-ANNOUNCED-amp-AVAILABLE!! ...for the relevant info...

I would advise you to read it... It is LONG but will show you how this forum works and mainly who is who...

Thank you reddit in advance you are awesome people.

Fuck Reddit...

xROTx

aha2940
08-31-2017, 02:23 PM
I have an japanese aes home console unibios installed with magic key converter.

The neoSD does not work with the magickey converter. It does work with the daedalus converter though, but it's not supported (i.e. if you have issues using the MVS cart on a AES through a converter, you are on your own). My advice would be to get the AES cart, do not mess with converters.

DragonmasterDan
08-31-2017, 07:18 PM

Try using BIOS for both mode (AES or MVS) and region and see if the probem persists. I see pixels flickering but only when I'm not using BIOS as my option.

Pingu
09-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Hello

Can you tell me your firmware version? if you are on 1.06 and still happening, let me know, as all those issues seemed fixed in latest firmware.

It's 1.06 R10.
I think I figured it out, it is the power supply. I have a PRO-POW but apparently there is a bit of play in the contact, reseating the cartridge probably moves the power connector a tiny bit each time. It's weird though, I'm getting more problems in the sdmenue than the games themselves (lots of random tile swaps), is the cart drawing more power in the menue compared to when it's in game mode? I guess it's in the end a brown out issue?

greatfunky
09-01-2017, 07:26 AM
The neoSD does not work with the magickey converter. It does work with the daedalus converter though, but it's not supported (i.e. if you have issues using the MVS cart on a AES through a converter, you are on your own). My advice would be to get the AES cart, do not mess with converters.

I would like to add : some Daedalus converters seems to be not working with neosd , (probably a specific revision of the Daedalus) .... so yes , people should be careful with converters ....

ToastedThoughts
09-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Well your right the magickey does not work with the mvs neosd. I will leave this here for anyone who wants this answered in the future. Gotta help out the community. So when I would power it on I would get nothing but jumbled graphics and no splash screen. Do not use the magic key or any other converter with the neosd. PERIOD Does Not Work!

Rot
09-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Well your right the magickey does not work with the mvs neosd. I will leave this here for anyone who wants this answered in the future. Gotta help out the community. So when I would power it on I would get nothing but jumbled graphics and no splash screen. Do not use the magic key or any other converter with the neosd. PERIOD Does Not Work!

We knew that already... Just sayin'...

The ONLY reason you're getting a reply from me... is that the Neosd threads are viewed along the lines of protecting the community projects...

Like the NTM memory cards... raz's Unibios... etc etc...

Alex and the Neosd Team made me a promise... and for that... I "moderate" to ensure the peace....

xROTx

ToastedThoughts
09-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Well I did not now that and google searches did not provide me with an answer

Electric Grave
09-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Buy one of each folks, it's the only way to fly...plus, having two for meets always helps!

zatrass
09-07-2017, 09:22 AM
null

FilthyRear
09-07-2017, 09:29 AM
hello all.

the game "Last Hope" work it on Neosd AES please?

Mike

https://media.tenor.com/images/49aa498a0d7bca52912bfef688d3db26/tenor.gif

Walk that walk, GURL!

zatrass
09-07-2017, 09:35 AM
null

Rot
09-07-2017, 02:23 PM
null

I don't like people editing out their posts like this...

I always feel it's a pussy move... you post it... you own it...

DragonmasterDan
09-08-2017, 06:43 AM
This is kind of an odd question but I've observed certain games load fine if set to say BIOS and AES or MVS. But if you hard select a region like USA they won't load (example Super Sidekicks 4). I've thought this is in part because there isn't actually a USA specific AES BIOS but I figured it's worth asking to see if anyone else has input on why.

pixeljunkie
09-28-2017, 08:50 AM
So, I've been updated to the latest FW for awhile now. Really only had the last couple nights to dig in to a few games. On the older FW [whatever it shipped with] I never had a single issue. Newest FW, however, I am getting some weirdness. I assume it's the "flicker" spoken of in other posts?

I get some actualy flicker, then a few random lines of pixels will be displaced horizontally. It's random. I was playing Karnov's Revenge and it would be followed by full on black screen for a few seconds. [this could be my framemeister though if the cart is wigging out the framemeister usually gives up like that]

I'm noticing more and more as well. Before it seemed to just be a couple games and not very often. Now, it seems to be every game. Last game I tried to play was Kizuna Encounter and all I got was a black screen with credits graphics. ???

I've tried switching BIOS setting and anything else in the options menu to no avail. I'll hopefully have some time today to experiment further.

neodev
09-28-2017, 10:46 AM
So, I've been updated to the latest FW for awhile now. Really only had the last couple nights to dig in to a few games. On the older FW [whatever it shipped with] I never had a single issue. Newest FW, however, I am getting some weirdness. I assume it's the "flicker" spoken of in other posts?

I get some actualy flicker, then a few random lines of pixels will be displaced horizontally. It's random. I was playing Karnov's Revenge and it would be followed by full on black screen for a few seconds. [this could be my framemeister though if the cart is wigging out the framemeister usually gives up like that]

I'm noticing more and more as well. Before it seemed to just be a couple games and not very often. Now, it seems to be every game. Last game I tried to play was Kizuna Encounter and all I got was a black screen with credits graphics. ???

I've tried switching BIOS setting and anything else in the options menu to no avail. I'll hopefully have some time today to experiment further.

Is the cart properly seated? having a screen with just text looks like some pin is not making proper contact in the cart connector. If that happens, you can try moving the cart a bit and see if the graphics appear.