Should every American be allowed to vote?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My answer is no. Just think about this...

If you are selected for jury duty, you are screened...and some people are ultimately deemed unfit to make a sound decision come trial time and are not allowed to participate.

So why then is everyone allowed to vote...no matter how irrational, illogical or mentally unfit they are?

Aren't the presidential elections a much higher stake game than some single court case?

So here is my suggestion. Some kind of computer-based pre-vote screening test should be implemented. It will be taken on election day at the same time an individual goes to vote.

Everyone participates in the screen and then proceeds to vote. No one knows if they pass the screen or not. If they pass the screen, their vote counts. If they don't pass the screen, their vote doesn't count.

In all likelihood, the individuals dumb/crazy enough to fail the screen will be too stupid/delusional to know that they didn't pass it and their vote didn't count.

This is a revolutionary idea guys. Let's make voting great again.

And if that isn't feasible..then maybe do something like only people who got above a 1400 on their SATs can vote. That might work too.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Eh.. Politicians could change the law to make only people in line with their beliefs could vote. It would be like gerrymandering.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My answer is no. Just think about this...

If you are selected for jury duty, you are screened...and some people are ultimately deemed unfit to make a sound decision come trial time and are not allowed to participate.

So why then is everyone allowed to vote...no matter how irrational, illogical or mentally unfit they are?

Aren't the presidential elections a much higher stake game than some single court case?

So here is my suggestion. Some kind of computer-based pre-vote screening test should be implemented. It will be taken on election day at the same time an individual goes to vote.

Everyone participates in the screen and then proceeds to vote. No one knows if they pass the screen or not. If they pass the screen, their vote counts. If they don't pass the screen, their vote doesn't count.

In all likelihood, the individuals dumb/crazy enough to fail the screen will be too stupid/delusional to know that they didn't pass it and their vote didn't count.

This is a revolutionary idea guys. Let's make voting great again.

And if that isn't feasible..then maybe do something like only people who got above a 1400 on their SATs can vote. That might work too.

I fully understand what you are saying...but it just doesn't work that way. Who would be the one to qualify who can/can't vote?

The only good response that I've ever heard was...do you pay property tax? In order to pay property tax, the chances are pretty good that you have a job, pay other taxes, and play a role in the outcome of this country. Then again...what if you decide to rent a home? Even with that...there's holes.

It's a fact that our founding fathers did not want to award the presidency based on popular vote alone...because that can be bought, especially when we have a welfare system like we do. This is one of the reasons why the electoral college was made.

Now...I've long said that the electoral college shouldn't be all/nothing concerning states...but that's a different topic.

Long story short, once you open the doors for limiting voter rights, people will be hard at work trying to manipulate it to help their side.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The ability to vote is a right given to all citizens of this country. Jury duty is an obligation that is asked of from citizens.

I see where your train of thought is, but it's comparing apples to oranges. Usually the ones not deemed sane or able to make a competent decision are not likely to vote or make a sound choice in the matter.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's a fact that our founding fathers did not want to award the presidency based on popular vote alone...because that can be bought, especially when we have a welfare system like we do. This is one of the reasons why the electoral college was made.

They also didn't think that Senate seats should be awarded based on Popular Vote.... At all.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This is the worst idea ever. Just toss a computer in there, will make everything better.

Well the screening can't be left to humans...not given the amount of degenerates we have in this country.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Maybe instead of letting the system choose who we vote for, perhaps the people can choose instead.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
It kind of goes back to the pizza argument.

The three of us are going to buy a pizza.

I want pepperoni, Bob wants Bacon, Ben wants anchovies.
I and Bob likes bacon and pepperoni but hate anchovies.
Ben likes bacon but not pepperoni, and loves anchovies.
Bob and I are the only ones paying for the pizza but Ben is going to get to eat some without paying.

Should the pizza have anchovies on it?

I don't think if you are on the dole you should get to vote yourself a raise.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
It kind of goes back to the pizza argument.

The three of us are going to buy a pizza.

I want pepperoni, Bob wants Bacon, Ben wants anchovies.
I and Bob likes bacon and pepperoni but hate anchovies.
Ben likes bacon but not pepperoni, and loves anchovies.
Bob and I are the only ones paying for the pizza but Ben is going to get to eat some without paying.

Should the pizza have anchovies on it?

I don't think if you are on the dole you should get to vote yourself a raise.

I think that should go to all government officials as well. But I say theirs should extend further to them being provided a house, transport to and from their offices, and a very minimum wage. A fat salary shouldn't come with public service. If that's where you want to be in life it should be because you truly want to help. And not because the pay, benefits, and kickbacks from lobbies/corporations are nice. No votes for them, no nice benefits, no big pay, no corporate backing. Do it because you love it, and don't vote for a raise for yourself.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think that should go to all government officials as well. But I say theirs should extend further to them being provided a house, transport to and from their offices, and a very minimum wage. A fat salary shouldn't come with public service. If that's where you want to be in life it should be because you truly want to help. And not because the pay, benefits, and kickbacks from lobbies/corporations are nice. No votes for them, no nice benefits, no big pay, no corporate backing. Do it because you love it, and don't vote for a raise for yourself.

The absence of term limits, the lobbyist machine being allowed to exist, loosely regulated political contributions, and bullshit like "Corporate personhood" have turned US politics into a cesspool.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
interesting question though: should all felons really not be allowed to vote?

Honestly, I think that's a stupid rule. Maybe people who have been convicted of certain crimes, but to just make a blanket rule like that doesn't make much sense. You could get pinched with a big enough sack of weed that you could never vote again, but one has nothing to do with the other. I guess the logic was just that if you can't respect the laws of this country, then you lose your right to vote, but then doesn't that make voting a privilege instead of a right?