Cleaning MVS Cart Contacts Properly?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I'm up to 10 or so MVS cartridges now, & a number of them came really cheap from Mexico "sold as is". One came in today & the contacts are absolutely wrecked with grime. What's the best way for me to clean all my carts one by one?

I use to use Weiman's glass cooktop cleaner & an anti static cleaning cloth (for Nintendo carts), but I thought I would ask here if there was a better, more proper way to do this.

half assed.jpg

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
James from jamma nation told me to use warm soapy water and a tooth brush. It works great. Let dry for a few days and they work fine. But i use a blow dryer to get under the eproms and chips.

I also use a pink pencil eraser on the contacts if I'm feeling lazy it works just as well if you don't want the whole pcb spotless.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
James from jamma nation told me to use warm soapy water and a tooth brush.

Something about that doesn't sound right. A toothbrush feels like it would be too abrasive, & soap can't possibly be good for contacts, especially if any residue ends up being left. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Washing pcbs is fine if any batteries are removed, and you rinse with distilled water and dry thoroughly.

Anyway for contacts I do pencil eraser, alcohol/ qtip, and deoxit, in that order.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
People here have put the game boards in the dishwasher before with no bad results. Also it doesn't have to be distilled water if you dry it well enough. Some people use compressed air or a blow dryer.

As for a toothbrush being abrasive. A pencil eraser is more abrasive than a toothbrush. There was an article i'll have to find where they actually used microscopes to see what was more abrasive while cleaning edge connectors. The eraser also left really fine gouges in the pins/contacts.

I guess if you are really worried about abrasive materials. You're best bet is 91% isopropyl or contact cleaner like deoxit

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Something about that doesn't sound right. A toothbrush feels like it would be too abrasive, & soap can't possibly be good for contacts, especially if any residue ends up being left. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

How dare you question JNX wisdom! Your last sentence is correct.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Will any eraser work, or is there a specific one I should use?

huge mistake.jpg

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
People here have put the game boards in the dishwasher before with no bad results. Also it doesn't have to be distilled water if you dry it well enough. Some people use compressed air or a blow dryer.

As for a toothbrush being abrasive. A pencil eraser is more abrasive than a toothbrush. There was an article i'll have to find where they actually used microscopes to see what was more abrasive while cleaning edge connectors. The eraser also left really fine gouges in the pins/contacts.

I guess if you are really worried about abrasive materials. You're best bet is 91% isopropyl or contact cleaner like deoxit

http://www.robotroom.com/PCBTarnishEraser.html

the tl;dr is if you use a white art vinyl eraser no harm should be done. A pink eraser is not only harder than a white art eraser, it is made for removing graphite, not ink. Pretty much what skate323k137 said is how I clean mine unless the contacts are pristine (in which case only rubbing alcohol and deoxit). I also make sure to leave the deoxit on for like two minutes, then rinse off with rubbing alcohol as deoxit d5 leaves a sticky film.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
There are many creative ways for cleaning the boards but I personally like to go the safest route. I'm sure there are more time and cost effective ways to do this, maybe methods that are just as safe, but here's one way to do it:

I use a bunch of Qtips with 90+% isopropyl alcohol. I use each Qtip with alcohol on one side for an initial rub, and then I swap to the dry side and go over the same spot. I rub around with enough force to remove grime but not excessive force. I will go around the entire surface of the boards (both sides) until the Qtip comes through looking clean. Generally if the cart is very filthy it can take as much as 50 or more Qtips and an hour of work for a single game (PCB's and case). For most people this is probably not worth the trouble.

Also be sure to clean the inside of the cart's encasing as well. Just be careful that at all times the case does not open all the way or you might do some harm to the label. I use a brush to get the open vent like sections (from both sides).

By the time it's all over the cart should smell and feel like new, minus any external battle damage to the case and label, and any wear to the contacts that was there before.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
atleast you didnt get some boards from mexico where they used sandpaper to shine up the contacts. Seen that alot from Mexico. Especially on 1 slot boards

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
I use a tracked eraser bought from a decent stationers and then wipe clean with a non-static cloth. The best I've found is the one you get in your glasses case for cleaning the lenses.

I've cleaned about 10 carts recently and this method has worked every time with instant results.

Happy cleaning bro!