PVM 2530 help, issues with my picture on SNES and Genesis

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I just got a PVM monitor and the highest quality cables possible from retroconsoleaccessories.

When I turn both my Genesis and SNES on with most games there is a picture about 50 percent of the time, other times it shows black.

When there is a picture it is garbled/wavy. I attached an example picture of both the SNES and Genesis.

I doubt both my cables are bonked but this monitor was working with the previous owner and also was recently recapped.unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Literally right after posting this I got it to work adjusting different nobs in the back. Took about a hour of messing around.

The picture still doesn't quite fill up the whole screen however I'm relieved it works.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
First of all, excellent looking monitor :)

Glad to hear you got it sorted already, definitely a sync/hold issue as you discovered.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have PVM envy. My 12" seems lacking.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
First of all, excellent looking monitor :)

Glad to hear you got it sorted already, definitely a sync/hold issue as you discovered.

unnamed (2).jpg

Any way to fix this image so there are no borders? Also some of the edges are curved in an odd way going outward.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You need to go into the service menu to change that, but it's not particularly easy in most models. I will warn you from experience, if you adjust overscan with a genesis you're going to be chopping off the edges of other systems. Those borders are part of the video signal of a lot of Genesis games but were lost in the overscan area of most tvs.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
You need to go into the service menu to change that, but it's not particularly easy in most models. I will warn you from experience, if you adjust overscan with a genesis you're going to be chopping off the edges of other systems. Those borders are part of the video signal of a lot of Genesis games but were lost in the overscan area of most tvs.

It seems the 2530 has no service menu so I would actually have to open it up and risk dying to fix this so I doubt I will.

The SNES has the same geometry on the picture, the only difference being is that the blank areas are black instead of colored.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does that model have a button to turn overscan on and off?

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Does that model have a button to turn overscan on and off?

It doesn't from what I read. I may just see if a member in Northern California with the know-how can open this up and adjust it for me safely for a fee.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
It doesn't from what I read. I may just see if a member in Northern California with the know-how can open this up and adjust it for me safely for a fee.

Yeah you have to open it up to adjust it.

It's not that scary because you don't have to discharge the tube. There are accessible pots that you can just adjust with a screwdriver while the monitor is on.

Of course, handle with caution and don't touch anything, just your screwdriver with rubber handle on the pots.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Yeah you have to open it up to adjust it.

It's not that scary because you don't have to discharge the tube. There are accessible pots that you can just adjust with a screwdriver while the monitor is on.

Of course, handle with caution and don't touch anything, just your screwdriver with rubber handle on the pots.

So everywhere on the green circuit board is safe to touch with a screwdriver, just nothing behind the boards and this can be done even while on?

Any idea if there is a guide that shows which pot adjusts what on this monitor? I'm not going to mess with anything aside from trying to make the edges invisible on the sides and make the geometry a bit more square.

It would be awesome to know the exact pots to adjust.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
So everywhere on the green circuit board is safe to touch with a screwdriver, just nothing behind the boards and this can be done even while on?

Any idea if there is a guide that shows which pot adjusts what on this monitor? I'm not going to mess with anything aside from trying to make the edges invisible on the sides and make the geometry a bit more square.

It would be awesome to know the exact pots to adjust.

Yeah I have the 2030 and 3230 which are almost the exact same as your 2530. There are silk screened indicators for what pot does what, these apply to basically any crt monitor. The Blast City manual describes in detail what each pot does even though it's a different monitor.

What you'll want to adjust is h/v-pos and h/v-size. For any that don't seem to be accessible from the back, you can stick a properly sized screwdriver through the hole to adjust it without opening the cage.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Yeah I have the 2030 and 3230 which are almost the exact same as your 2530. There are silk screened indicators for what pot does what, these apply to basically any crt monitor. The Blast City manual describes in detail what each pot does even though it's a different monitor.

What you'll want to adjust is h/v-pos and h/v-size. For any that don't seem to be accessible from the back, you can stick a properly sized screwdriver through the hole to adjust it without opening the cage.

Aside from the h and v size, if you check the screenshot I posted, on the left bottom and right the picture sort of bows inward, especially on the left. Would you mess with something to fix that or just stretch the size for the h and v so it's not visible.

Lastly I know the Gen and SNES are somewhat different, which system do you think I should use as my base for adjustment so both systems have zero borders? I only plan to use this with SNES GEN and NES once I get one RGB modded.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
if you have something that can run 240 test suite that would help...

if you dont have a genny/snes everdrive you could burn one for sega cd or dreamcast...

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Aside from the h and v size, if you check the screenshot I posted, on the left bottom and right the picture sort of bows inward, especially on the left. Would you mess with something to fix that or just stretch the size for the h and v so it's not visible.

Lastly I know the Gen and SNES are somewhat different, which system do you think I should use as my base for adjustment so both systems have zero borders? I only plan to use this with SNES GEN and NES once I get one RGB modded.

Just stretch the h/v to fit and it will look fine in game. It's sort of the nature with curved tubes and just takes a bit of getting used to.

I would use your favorite console to calibrate with, for me this was the SNES over GEN. It looks great with most systems that way and the 240p test suite can be run from flashcart while calibrating.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Just stretch the h/v to fit and it will look fine in game. It's sort of the nature with curved tubes and just takes a bit of getting used to.

I would use your favorite console to calibrate with, for me this was the SNES over GEN. It looks great with most systems that way and the 240p test suite can be run from flashcart while calibrating.

I will just try to eye it in game as I have no flash cart or Sega CD hookups to run off of a CD. Do you know where the v and h pots are located on my particular model? Also, thanks for the help.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I will just try to eye it in game as I have no flash cart or Sega CD hookups to run off of a CD. Do you know where the v and h pots are located on my particular model? Also, thanks for the help.

NP! They are located on the rightmost board on the back of the cage, if you're looking at it from behind. Just scan around the green PCB looking for white text and you'll find them.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
NP! They are located on the rightmost board on the back of the cage, if you're looking at it from behind. Just scan around the green PCB looking for white text and you'll find them.

OK going to try to open it up and find those. Just to be sure, all I need is a rubber ended screwdriver and the monitor can be on? Some forums were suggesting people use ceramic stuff or "trimmers" whatever those are.

Also, was going to try to mess a bit with the bowing at the bottom as it is distorting the image a bit on rectangular text windows which can't be hidden by stretching the image. What is that pot called?

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
OK going to try to open it up and find those. Just to be sure, all I need is a rubber ended screwdriver and the monitor can be on? Some forums were suggesting people use ceramic stuff or "trimmers" whatever those are.

Also, was going to try to mess a bit with the bowing at the bottom as it is distorting the image a bit on rectangular text windows which can't be hidden by stretching the image. What is that pot called?

Just a screwdriver with a rubber handle is fine.

Bowing and such can get pretty complicated, you'll have to read a manual in detail to get an idea for what things like 'trapezoid' and 'spc' etc do and it will take a lot of trial and error. I spent several hours trying to calibrate my 3230.

Edit: also stuff in the corners can be convergence issues that can only be fixed with convergence strips. There are YT videos on how to apply them, but that process is a bit more dangerous.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
I'm in Norcal if you need help.

I'm in Sacramento. I may roll down to Sunnyvale sometime though, maybe we can meet up and play some games, grab some food or what not and you can help me out. I think you're only about 2 hours away and I have a friend I need to catch up with down that way anyway.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Just a screwdriver with a rubber handle is fine.

Bowing and such can get pretty complicated, you'll have to read a manual in detail to get an idea for what things like 'trapezoid' and 'spc' etc do and it will take a lot of trial and error. I spent several hours trying to calibrate my 3230.

Edit: also stuff in the corners can be convergence issues that can only be fixed with convergence strips. There are YT videos on how to apply them, but that process is a bit more dangerous.

What stuff in the corners are you referring to? I think my problem is mainly just geometry but I'm no pro.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
What stuff in the corners are you referring to? I think my problem is mainly just geometry but I'm no pro.

Look at YouTube videos on fixing convergence and you'll know if that's your issue, or something that can be fixed by geometry pots.

It's basically where red green and blue don't align properly and you sort of get a rgb 'rainbow' effect

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Look at YouTube videos on fixing convergence and you'll know if that's your issue, or something that can be fixed by geometry pots.

It's basically where red green and blue don't align properly and you sort of get a rgb 'rainbow' effect

I don't think I have that issue.

I did make a album with better pics showcasing my issues with the issues being in each description. You can also see some color issues. Let me know how normal this is for a recapped monitor.

http://imgur.com/a/d5EQ5

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

I asked the same thing in the CRT thread at some point. I have pretty much just learned to live with with the borders and they don't detract from the games for me. I'm not savvy or interested enough to open my PVM and mess around with it.

Nice monitor Loefye. I have a 2530 as well. It's pretty cool just how much the adjustment knobs on the back and the picture adjustment buttons can help you fix problems or get a picture you like, at least from my experience. I think I even used the sync on green at some point.