Neo Geo Pocket Color Mod?

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Is there anyone on here who can/does mod an NGPC to have a backlit screen? Its like my favorite handheld and Id love to have a backlit screen =P

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Is there anyone on here who can/does mod an NGPC to have a backlit screen? Its like my favorite handheld and Id love to have a backlit screen =P

I had someone mod mine with a frontlight years Ago, & unless there's someone that can do it perfectly here you might be disappointed. Mine has dust in between the screen now, & the bottom 5% of the screen gets blocked by the light bar. You're probably better off with the regular system.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I frontlit one of mine and it's lame. Sitting under a lamp is a million times better.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Err sorry, yeah, I meant frontlight.
And wow really that bad huh? Crazy, the GBA guys are obsessed with front/backlighting their systems so I figured a front light would be fire on a neo.

Thats unfortunate theres no way to modernize rhis extremely underrated (imo) handheld

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
And wow really that bad huh? Crazy, the GBA guys are obsessed with front/backlighting their systems so I figured a front light would be fire on a neo.

Thats unfortunate theres no way to modernize rhis extremely underrated (imo) handheld

The other issue is since there's so little space, it's almost impossible to situate the screen facing forward at a 90 degree angle. My screen doesn't face perfectly forward anymore, so I have to play at an angle on that model, even with the front light. I'm sure it can be done properly, I just don't see it being done perfectly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

The issue is that the main method of doing a NGPC is to salvage a front light from a GBA SP and shove it in the case. The screen and the light don't really work well together.

That said, I did a lot of experimenting with light kits in various Gameboys last year, and frontlight kits were universally garbage. The original frontlit SPs still look pretty good IMO, but the frontlight kits that various sites sell for the GBC, regular GBA etc are trash. The backlight kits for the black and white Gameboys look great, and I eventually made my ultimate Gameboy by putting a SP backlit screen assembly into a regular GBA.

I hope that some enterprising soul eventually makes a replacement backlit screen for both the NGPC and GBC, but I think that's unlikely to happen.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I tried to source the parts for a kit but the only light screens I could find were the LOCA type so the plastic was textured and would show even with the glue and the light bar like the SP one, would block the bottom of the screen.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That sounds like the kits I tried with the gameboy, even with proper LOCA application they were so blurry I couldn't hardly read the text on a RPG. I spent a good chunk of cash on loca and UV stuff too!

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I had one and was so angry, that I broke it. Really, stick to good lighting conditions and you will have more fun.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Especially if you get a slim - it needs so little light to look amazing

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
A slim? I wasnt aware of there being different models of the ngpc, how may I tell if mines a slim?
93dc1701e65a0915a8c2e89f03e7d00b.jpg

Regular pocket on the left, slim in the front.