Consolized MV1-C Issues

SteveC

n00b
Hey all,

Bought a CMVS (motherboard is MV1C) and the thing has been great except for a few hiccups. I wanted to see if the following were normal performance for Neo Geos:

- Z80 error appears when cart isn't inserted, instead of a grid.

-Sound will randomly pop at times. On some games this is more noticeable. It does this on Component and S-Video, but I haven't been able to test RGB yet.

Thanks!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nope, that's not normal. You should get in contact with whoever sold it to you.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey all,

Bought a CMVS (motherboard is MV1C) and the thing has been great except for a few hiccups. I wanted to see if the following were normal performance for Neo Geos:

- Z80 error appears when cart isn't inserted, instead of a grid.

-Sound will randomly pop at times. On some games this is more noticeable. It does this on Component and S-Video, but I haven't been able to test RGB yet.

Thanks!

The Z80 error is normal depending on bios iirc, as for the popping, is it static crackling or full on pops?

SteveC

n00b
It is hard to characterize the pops.

They aren't apparent in every game. In Neo-Bomberman I'll hear it sometimes when a bomb hits multiple enemies. In SVC Chaos when Mr.Karate does his Zanretsuken sometimes you'll hear it on the last few punches. The sound gets a crackling effect to it when more than one thing is going on in certain games.

It doesn't ever just randomly make noise. It is more like there is a lot going on in game and a sound effect has noise at the end of it.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The pops sound like peaking. You might want to look at the caps in the audio section and see how they are doing, and if there aren't a lot, just re-cap it.

SteveC

n00b
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've read a few things on this all the way from it is normal to it is a Z80 error so its great to hear what the experts think.

My only caveat with opening the thing up really isn't the cap-work (I've capped arcade monitors before), I'm more concerned about stripping the plastic screw holes of the case itself.

The other issue is I don't have a logic probe, so I'm not going to be able to detect if its just the caps versus the sound IC's/Z80.

So you aren't wrong Xsq, I'm still trying to get in contact with the makers and see what they would like to do. I don't mind doing the cap-kit, but I'm a little leary of screwing things up on something I paid a premium for.

Bonus Question: As for now, would playing games in this system potentially damage carts?

Thanks again.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On the MV1C there is less than 5 audio caps. Plus there is only 2 ICs that handle audio. Main one is the YSA2 which houses a Z80 equivalent then it goes to the BU9480(can't remember the exact number) it's the small 8 pin SOIC right below the YSA2, it's the DAC. And sound for a CMVS is pulled directly from it.

SteveC

n00b
Do any of you guys have a working relationship with the guy who owns Arcade Works? I've been trying to contact him for a little over 2 weeks now with no luck. I'm sure he is busy with the holidays and what-not.

I want to dive into the system and replace the sound caps, but I'm concerned that it'll mess up the warranty policy or something.

I went down a wild goose chase today trying to see if maybe the carts were the issue. The popping is much, much louder in SVC Chaos than basically any other game. The other games are more of a toss up.

I reflowed some of the joints at the M1 chip on SVC Chaos as they were blatantly cracked. It even restored some continuity between the joints and the ground on testing. Alas, no change in sound issue.

I also had a copy of KOF 98 from Korea that was having troubling booting. I reflowed the entire thing and it works like a charm. I had no idea there were no Japanese voices in the Korean version!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like you just might need to clean the cart slot. Use a piece of cardboard that has some deoxit-d5 on it.

SteveC

n00b
Thanks Xian Xi, I am going to go pick some up today. Hopefully Guitar Center has some in stock.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Sounds like you just might need to clean the cart slot. Use a piece of cardboard that has some deoxit-d5 on it.

It might be just me but the deoxit d5 I have makes the contacts have a greasy film which I don't like (which is probably to protect the contacts but if it stays sticky like that its going to attract mad dirt). The electrical contact cleaner I use however doesn't leave a residue. I usually wipe away the D5 afterwards.

I've read you shouldn't have lubrication in cartridge connectors before (I think channelmaniac stated it).

Deoxit D5 does do wonders though, I just feel having shit be sticky is not the right way to go.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It might be just me but the deoxit d5 I have makes the contacts have a greasy film which I don't like (which is probably to protect the contacts but if it stays sticky like that its going to attract mad dirt). The electrical contact cleaner I use however doesn't leave a residue. I usually wipe away the D5 afterwards.

I've read you shouldn't have lubrication in cartridge connectors before (I think channelmaniac stated it).

Deoxit D5 does do wonders though, I just feel having shit be sticky is not the right way to go.

What's the name of the electrical contact cleaner you are using?

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Over the years i've used: radio shack electronic precision cleaner,CRC quick n dry, and Car Quest Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner. All of them are quick drying sprays that leave no residue and are plastic safe. I use them as a follow up to 91% rubbing alcohol as it cleans better than it. Deoxit D5/Vinyl soft white eraser for contacts that are in relatively bad shape.

It sucks you can't do that with system connectors. I usually use a game to clean cartridge connectors first, coat the contacts of the game with contact cleaner/rubbing alcohol and stick the cartridge in and out a few times. You need to do this fast as the liquid evaporates fast. Afterwards, I use a white t-shirt wrapped around a credit card and insert a few times (make sure to do it straight and pull out straight, never go side to side as you can pull a pin out potentially). What Xian Xi stated with a piece of cardboard is the same method, just different tools.

If you're on the fence about the magic that is white vinyl erasers being too "abrasive", just look at this guys write up. Keep in mind you aren't going to use the eraser on mint contacts/near new, that would be professionally retarded.

http://www.robotroom.com/PCBTarnishEraser2.html

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Mine has never been sticky. If yours is sticky, it could be just the gunk build up which should be wiped away. Also don't apply it too much where it's going to drip either, just a small coat is good enough. I apply it with a qtip on the cart edge and then insert it a few times in the system. I do this for both AES and MVS.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Nah it wasn't the build up, tried it on a clean board.

Do you have a picture of what yours looks like? Deoxit makes a lot of different products, I got the Deoxit D5 5% spray stuff. By sticky, I mean leaves a greasy film like substance. Whether I use a little or a lot it really shouldn't matter, it should evaporate.

61ntUf3SDmL._SL1112_.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nah it wasn't the build up, tried it on a clean board.

Do you have a picture of what yours looks like? Deoxit makes a lot of different products, I got the Deoxit D5 5% spray stuff. By sticky, I mean leaves a greasy film like substance. Whether I use a little or a lot it really shouldn't matter, it should evaporate.

View attachment 41650

I use the liquid one, the grease you're referring to is what enhances the connection between contact and pin. I guess for me it isn't an issue since I clean my slots every week to keep them as clean as possible so there's never any build up. But I can see what you mean if it was left in the open and untouched for a while.