MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
So has this device been shipped to Raz already or not? When can we expect Raz to have it? Both members are in Europe so it it shouldn't take long.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^Boss has spoken, lol.

I'm psyched for this no matter the details, as long as it plays the games I'm down.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
When Stefano was making boot carts/kits and selling them on ebay, they were very upset but had zero legal recourse from what they told me. It's funny, after I brought it up he acted like "Oh I had no idea, I feel so bad", fuck that guy. Hence why all their newer games have heavy protection. They have accepted the loss of Last Hope and are moving forward.

I really hope he gets his balls caught in a weed wacker.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looking forward to a review of this thing. I was planning to wait at least until a couple people got their hands on this cart, but who knows. Might want this in time for the holidays.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

POoOrqG.gif

neosd

Neosd Developer
Ok Guys, we dont want start into a war or something like that, but i think its good to explain some things from a technical point of view:

First, we would like to state that we don't have any connection with DS cart or with DS itself, we never talked with him about NEOGEO as today.

Seccond, we already had our prototypes working long before he posted his proto photos. You can't design this in 2 months, i would say that DS telling that, proves his konwleage about electronics, in the best case .... We can post photos of our previous prototypes if required, we can also show invoices of our proto devices from the first months of 2016.

DS says we have stolen "his SD reading code" : it seems he is the only one in the world that can read a file from an sd card with an ARM, what can we say about that ? ... get any engeneer arround and ask about that, he dosent needs to know what neosd is or neogeo.
Also, where are we going to steal his code from? Binary cps2 multicart updates as someone said? Come on, that would be inmensely more effort than writting it from scratch, especially when ST provides the library to read SD cards it from its ARM devices :)

DS says load times on our videos are fake : i dont think any of us knows how to edit a video at all :)

DS says his product is better : i dont think he has a product righ now to say that, he still dont know if it will work right now.
Based on our development roadmap (we had the first proto running games back in May), we really doubt that he will reaches "problems stage" before the end of the year, it took us 4 months to pass this stage after we had a working prototype running games.

DS says his product is faster : We had King of fighters 2003 running back in May and load times were about 8 minutes, thats what i call slow loading times :), its 4:07 right now. I doubt he can know how fast his product "is", cause he dosent has one at all.
Anyways, he says that he will load games such as King Of Fighters 2003 in 12 secconds, but he wont tell that he is going to need 4 minutes to load it into flash before, then he could load it in 12 secconds after that, but he will need 4 minutes to load it again if he writes another game in the place where Kof2003 is. NEOSD takes 0 secconds to load King Of Fighters 2003 on the same scenario. A half lie is not a truth guys ....

DS says that his product has more chips and its better : Just ask any engeener, he dosent need to know what neogeo is or a flash cart is. He will tell you that putting more components allways means more problems, as more complex the design is, as more things you have to deal with, there are things on the pcb pics he showed that make no sense from a design point, such as use different brands of fpgas on the same board, this says a lot of about his design ..

DS says we copied his design : Ask any engenner if our design is similar in any aspect to the pcbs he showed, if you want more details, open a Sega Naomi cart and compare the chips we are using for convert levels with that, we just get ideas from people that knows that they do, i would not put DS on that list. Reading DS it seems he was using latches before Sega :)

Also, on the pcb that DS showed in August, we can see that he is using flash chips, so dont get fooled thinking his device will load games in 12 secconds, thats not possible with his current design and even with other design, you are allways going to need 30 secconds just to read this game from SD card. With his current design, has to wirte flash chips before and in the best scenario, he is going to need 4.07 minutes to write King Of Fighters 2003 into the flashes.

So why we have built NEOSD ? : Cause we got tired about year after year to hear neo geo flashcart was in the works, not DS´s, just Neo Geo flashcart, and it was pretty clear that years pass and there is only neo geo flash cart right now, NEOSD.

DS is playing a game consisting in tell people that his product is better, to lie to stop people purchasing ours, this type of game always have a end, Raz will have his cart next week, customers will in about 3 weeks. Then you guys can try things such as load times and see if DS is right when he says that lod times in our videos are fake, you can lie, but not forever cause people may be fanboy, but its not stupid at all.

So now, about Neo-Dev Team and others :

No, Neo-Dev team games will not be supported. Last hope conversion is cause the same reason it is on mame. We have designed the cart with that on mind from day one.
We have some nice plan for those, Raz knows the details but we wont disclose those right now, its not the right time for that, you will know about that in the next weeks/months.

So please, keep discussing tech details and let drama alone, we dont really want to move topic of this wonderful thread to what others say. There are two reasons why we are answering questions here and not elsewhere :

1 - people asking reasonable doubts.
2 - this forum is not owned by a guy trying to sell things, so coments are not censored.

You guys wanted a neo ge flashcart as much as we did, we have put our time and money on make it a reality, just enjoy it and let drama alone !

Thanks !

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The plan at the moment as I understand is it will be shipped early next week to me.

I have had a very long talk with neosd yesturday and I came out of that at like 3am I think when I hit the sack. Very forthcoming again and sharing information, I now technically know how the cart works and it is almost identical to what I do with NeoGeo Land but based on a single game only. If I was not the kind of person I am I could probably easily make up a case that neosd stole the working idea from me. I'm am not that kind of person though and I know anyone at my level of programming experiance coupled with hardware design vision would have done it this way also. It's just pure common sence to do it like this when you have the knowhow.

Why am I telling this here? Well its because he told me a couple of things yesturday that I know from my experiance with NeoGeo Land he could not know unless he had the flashcart running/emulated the way he told me it works. You see, there are game specific things that need to be overcome that are neither encryption or protection related given how the cart works.

So there you have it. For me personally now, there is no question that the product really exists and is well designed and thought out. Even if it was never released there is enough there for me to know they built at least one. There is no question for me on weather this device has taken tech from the other flashcart guys as they impy either. I say this simply because the tech usage in this device does not exist in previous dasrksoft creations (they would be alot better if it did). Given the way ds has said his neogeo flash cart will work thus far, this remains true also for thier forthcoming device. There are many devices for many different systems out there with sdcard reading / flashing ability, I suspect there are probably librarys available freely on the net to take care of this part of things. I would guess ds uses those himself in some way, the same way anyone of sound mind would. I can say for sure that even after the neosd is out there, ds's also, they both will not be the first sdcard based NeoGeo cart that I have seen, I saw a video of one long long ago. Then there is the MGD2 that used 3.5' disks from the ninties which is technically the same thing using the storage tech available at that time.

For me the only unswered part is the quality of sdmans character and given he has come out of the blue really. It will probably take some time for him to build a rep and we all know that sometimes a rep stands for nothing. It seems he is on the right path so far. I fully understand some people mistrust about preordering given they way things have gone down in the past. I'm not 100% sure a review can take all that away but it will end any fear in relation to if this exists or not, for me there is no question, it's real.

Edit, it seems I started writing my post just before neosd posted his, they kind of tie together nicely though.

Last edited:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
i know walter was working on new pcbs for a multi, i dont know if it is him. if he is involved in this project its even better, because from my experience he is 100% trustworthy.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Question:

Say this is real, and that it works, and that you're selling them and everyone is happy (perfect world, I know, but humor me).

The load times you say are "4.07 minutes"... At some point in the future would these times DECREASE? Would it be handeled through software updates, or new revisions of the actual HARDWARE?

I'm hella interested, tho!

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
You guys wanted a neo ge flashcart as much as we did, we have put our time and money on make it a reality, just enjoy it and let drama alone !

Thanks !
thats for sure, everybody's been asking for a flashcart for years. thanks for the update. razoolas word on this goes a long way

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Guys, you're forgetting for YEARS the Everdrives had load times. As i'm assuming the process of writing to the chips was the same then as it is now with NEOSD. It's just the games were a little smaller for the other consoles. It's only relatively recently that Everdrives have "instant" load. That's cus he changed chip technology. Let these guys work through things. One step at a time.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Exactly, bunch of people a little too eager, demanding and clueless all at once. Patience is a virtue in this sort of thing.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
SFA3 takes 46 seconds to load on the DS multiboard. SFA3 is 46 megabytes uncompressed, about 1 meg/second

KOF2003 is 93 megabytes uncompressed, about .38 megs/second

Sure it's 3 times slower, but I still think it's a respectable speed. But I'm not a hardware guy.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Money does funny things to people.

On the other hand, providing gray-market wares and claiming theft is very duplicitous.

I like Darksoft, even after everything that has happened.

I'd prefer to give my money to him and his products have never failed me.

Same here. I know some people here have a beef with him and I respect that but so far his products have been nothing but topnotch.

As far as this NeoSd product go's, I just can't believe how so many people here are not bothered by these ridiculous load times. 3-4 minutes to load a game? This is the reason I never got into the Neo Geo Cd in the first place. Supposedly DS Neo Multi will load much faster and I rather support him instead of someone I have no clue about. If Raz ever releases his Neo-Geo Land which looks promising I'll support him as well and any other products he releases in the future like I have done before. Till then I'll stick to my 161 in 1. Sorry but I'll pass.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Same here. I know some people here have a beef with him and I respect that but so far his products have been nothing but topnotch.

As far as this NeoSd product go's, I just can't believe how so many people here are not bothered by these ridiculous load times. 3-4 minutes to load a game? This is the reason I never got into the Neo Geo Cd in the first place. Supposedly DS Neo Multi will load much faster and I rather support him instead of someone I have no clue about. If Raz ever releases his Neo-Geo Land which looks promising I'll support him as well and any other products he releases in the future like I have done before. Till then I'll stick to my 161 in 1. Sorry but I'll pass.

The game only needs to load once. After that it plays the same as any other cart. As long as you are not switching back and forward, load time will not be an issue. This is fine by me, I play my games in a cab, so games tend to stay put once they are in the mobo.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The game only needs to load once. After that it plays the same as any other cart. As long as you are not switching back and forward, load time will not be an issue. This is fine by me, I play my games in a cab, so games tend to stay put once they are in the mobo.

Yes I know, It's similar to DS's cps2 multi were once you load a game it stays in the memory. I still rather support DS. His customer service is excellent and so far his products have been great. I only own one of his products and that's the Cps2 Multi and l love it. I also hear his CP3 and STV multi is great as well. I don't blame anyone for wanting to support NEOSD, looks like a cool product but I rather wait for DS's Neo-Geo Multi since I've had experience with his products and customer service.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Here is the thing about loading times. (warning impartial view coming).

Put it into prospective, CPS-3 takes about 30 minutes to load.

But I get it, loading times may be important for some.. Is this the reason your buying a flashcart though? For those serious about wanting accurate games on a flashcart (and after all this is the main complaint relating to the 161in1 etc)... I would say your number one priority is not loading times but making sure games loaded do pass the unibios gamecart CRC32 check. You need to make sure your purchase/potential purchase is doing the fundemental things correctly before making loading times such a priority.

Even 20 seconds to swap a game is extreamly slow compared to a 161in1, if both hold games that fail the unibios crc32 check.

Last edited: