PDA

View Full Version : MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

IrishNinja
11-02-2016, 02:58 PM
yeah, +1 to the not being bothered by loading times crowd - 3 minutes seems like a bit, but if i'm drunkenly jumping around games, that's the perfect time to get up & get more whiskey. really, accuracy is what i'd be looking for here!

Razoola
11-02-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm going to post my review of the UI and usage soon. This part of the review has been quite difficult to do given I know work is ongoing and these aspects are not yet finished. If nothing else you will understand that I'm leavng no stone unturned and at the end of the day everything is forwarded which hopefully helps make a better product for you guys.

-SD-
11-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Looking forward to the review Raz. :buttrock:

munchiaz
11-02-2016, 03:58 PM
chomping at the bit for that review

Rot
11-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Raz is gonna review it in chat ONLY...

Just sayin'...

Razoola
11-02-2016, 04:32 PM
User Interface, Options and Usage.

It is a little hard to give proper review of the user interface as the version I have is incomplete and some of the features are still missing or not working. Overall I would say the outlook is minimal and easily understandable. Given that it is incomplete it is a little rough around the edges which is to be expected at this point. Everything is displayed in an easily understandable way however and that's a big plus. The small title page screenshots is a nice touch.

Flashing a game is done by simply selecting it in the game list and then pressing the button A. Button B takes you the options page, button C will filter the games list based on genre (feature not included yet). Button D will add or remove the selected game to a favourites list (feature not included yet either).

Flashing a game.

This is a very simple process. You just hit Button A after selecting a game and the erase / flash process will start. This twostep process is shown in the UI via a progress bar in the middle of the screen. During the erase step the green LED on the NeoSD PCB flashes quickly, during flashing it flashes more slowly. With the SDcard I am using (fast but not the fastest) this process takes between 0:25 seconds and 4:30 minutes depending on the size of the game. This is the total time taken to erase and flash the NeoSD to new game. It is a onetime wait period, once a game is flashed there is no other loading required each time the system is powered on or reset. This aspect is identical to how an original Neo Geo game cartridges operate which use ROM.

Once a game flashed onto the NeoSD the system will reset itself. The next time you bring up the NeoSD UI you will see the new option 'Launch Current Game' in the game menu. Choose this option to exit the UI if you do not wish to flash a new game.

Options menu.

The following options are present in the current UI version I am testing. Player 1 Joystick up and down are used to select options with left and right to alter them. Button B is used to exit the menu and return to the games list. A quick breakdown of the current options I see are;

Boot Mode - Determines what happens at power on, Game or Menu.
In-Game Trigger - Can be set to either AD+START, BC+START, ABC+START or None.
System Mode - Can be set to either Bios, MVS or AES.
Region - Can be set to either Bios, Europe, USA or Japan.
Save/Restore Back RAM - Can be set to Yes or No.
UI Sounds - Can be set to Yes or No.
Help - This currently does nothing.
Version - Displays information about the NeoSD, version numbers etc.

Let's look at a couple of these options more closely given I know these will be of interest.

System Mode and Region setting.

Both these settings work as much as they can taking the bios environment into account. The MVS/AES mode switch works pretty much as it does in arcade emulators that have the option (WinKawaks for example). It should be noted however that this does not give the same experience as setting AES mode via a UniBios or the stock AES bios on AES. The Bios does some things beyond the control of NeoSD. For example, when using a stock MVS bios those with a keen eye will notice the Neo Geo jingle will display according to the MVS specification even when NeoSD is in AES mode. On true AES hardware with stock bios (or UniBios on MVS in AES mode) the jingle will always appears once before the first attract mode cycle and then never again.

This is only a minor thing but worth a mention given UniBios users will get a true AES experience using the UniBios to control system type over the settings in NeoSD. I have suggested to neosd that it may be wise to disable or force these settings to BIOS when a UniBios is detected in the host system (easy to do). This would give the user the best possible AES experience. These options in NeoSD will be a welcome addition however for those without a UniBios installed as they get you most of the way there.

Save and restore back RAM.

This feature will need some testing before being able to say how well it works but from my short testing so far it does not work properly although I can see the expected files saved on the SD card. On speaking the neosd about it I know the cause is known and now fixed. I just need to wait for a new firmware (that has other fixes also) so I can try it out.

From how I'm told it is implemented I feel it cannot be taken as a full proof way to save data but it is much better than nothing at all! It works by saving BackupRAM for the currently flashed game onto SD card at the point you choose a new game to flash. It is then reloaded when you flash that game back to the NeoSD.

While this system in theory will work, it is quite dependent on the backupRAM battery being able to hold the data in backupRAM on the MVS. If the MVS backupRAM is reset any good data on the SDcard will be overwritten with that data when the game is changed. A temporary solution to this dilemma would be an option in the UI to load or store back RAM of the currently selected game which the user can force if they know the backupRAM system on the MVS is not preforming well. Ideally though this process should be automatic.

Conclusion

As I have said at the start the user interface is not yet complete so it's hard to critique something when you know beforehand it's just going to get better anyway. The UI does what it needs to do in a very controllable way without leaving the user frustrated due to it being non responsive. I feel it could be graphically improved but at the same time others will like its minimal nature.

Here are some changes I feel would be beneficial to the user going forward over the version I'm testing (which is not the final version). These have already been passed on;

Being able to wrap around when navigating the game list.
NeoSD should automatically detect presence of UniBios and disable its System and Region options if found.
Back RAM loading/Saving may need some refinement to help protect against data loss.
Hiding rogue tiles that sometimes appear momentarily sometimes before title page draws etc.
Instead of fading out the title page, fade it in only before running the main UI.
Some screenshots need altering to remove vertical strips / non-straight edges. Can be done by stretching them out horizontally before the shot is shrunk and converted.
Replace the '?' screenshot with one showing the NeoSD title page or Neo Geo logo jingle?

neosd
11-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Raz,

Thanks for the review. As we have talked, some things are already fixed/added, others will be on the next days.
Your sugestions are really apreciated. Our goal is to get the best user experience as possible.

Rot
11-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Thank You Raz...

Sounds good... ok ok.. what the lads want to know... is this...

WILL it work for the STANDARD NG library? And is it better than mame... seeing as you are loading teh original "err... NG stuffs"? (EDIT: I HATE to get myself into trouble here....)

And are these issues easily updateable with time?

THIS is what the forum needs to know in decision making at the current time...

xROTx

PS. All the other bootleg created NG stuff can wait until later...

Gyrian
11-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Fantastic review notes, Raz! Appreciate your being so thorough.
And a big thank you to NeoSD for not only delivering, but also taking all these positive steps on the way to release.

egg_sanwich
11-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Wow, definitely thanks for the thorough review Raz! Sounds like this truly is the real deal, and glad to see neosd is responsive to feedback.

Getting hard to resist at this point...

Razoola
11-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Yes, I can see, really great things happening in the background and when I do the final review it will probably be a little different :)

Razoola
11-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Thank You Raz...

Sounds good... ok ok.. what the lads want to know... is this...

WILL it work for the STANDARD NG library? And is it better than mame... seeing as you are loading teh original "err... NG stuffs"? (EDIT: I HATE to get myself into trouble here....)

And are these issues easily updateable with time?

THIS is what the forum needs to know in decision making at the current time...

xROTx

PS. All the other bootleg created NG stuff can wait until later...

The next part of my review will be about this very topic. Its the part of the review I'm really looking forward to because this is where the NeoSD kicks ass. In a Big Big way. I still cannot believe some of the things I'm seeing here with the protected games even its right in front of my eyes.

Larrs888
11-02-2016, 05:11 PM
The NeoSD is amazing news as others have said and about time that such a product exists for the mighty Neo Geo! I would love one of these when funds permit and I totally appreciate the load times. I kind of like that games are not easy to flick between, when there is some effort in swapping games or limiting which games you play I feel there is more appreciation for individual games and you want to spend more time with each one. How many times of you flick between games on the 161-in-1, on emulators, Everdrives or movies on netflix etc, quite a bit for many people including myself. When my choice of games is limited I spend more time with one, loading a game on the NeoSD is a great way to try a bug free version of a game before you buy particularly for the expensive ones, you can try a game out for a few hours or have it set to one game for a week etc.

I look forward to Raz's review in due course.

Rot
11-02-2016, 05:12 PM
The next part of my review will be about this very topic. Its the part of the review I'm really looking forward to do because this is where the NeoSD kicks ass. In a Big Big way. I still cannot believe some of the things I'm seeing here and the protected games even its right in front of my eyes.

COOL... can't wait...

Nostromo is wetting his pants in anticipation as well... he told me as much in chat... /SERUIZ...

xROTx

F4U57
11-02-2016, 05:34 PM
This is all very exciting!

Kcsims
11-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Raz - could elaborate on the Save/Restore Back RAM. Not sure I understand what is meant by this functionality. If using a VMC with my MVS, is this even necessarily?

Xian Xi
11-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Any way to mimic a test button via the NeoSD?

fenikso
11-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Being able to flip between AES and MVS is an unexpected, but welcome, addition. Getting more stoked by the minute for this.

Razoola
11-03-2016, 02:43 AM
Raz - could elaborate on the Save/Restore Back RAM. Not sure I understand what is meant by this functionality. If using a VMC with my MVS, is this even necessarily?

That function of the NeoSD is used for saving softdips and highscores in backup RAM once its full working.

I guess you want to know how well it will work compared to doing highscore saving on UniBios and MC/VMC which people use already? If so then I would say you would want to keep using the VMC / unibios for highscore saving simply due to how the NeoSD is has implimented it presently. I'm sure that system on the NeoSD will improove with time but it currently does not match how dedicated Highscore saving works given this system is not tied to what happens with data in backupRAM.

Nostromo
11-03-2016, 03:18 AM

+1

MattBlah
11-03-2016, 04:01 AM
I'm getting ready to place my order on this.

NeoSD, do you plan to make the shells available again soon? I'd rather order with the shell, so it's ready to go when it arrives.

Nostromo
11-03-2016, 04:12 AM
I asked NeoSD the exact same question and the reply was that on 1st December these should be available. Hopefully we can place pre-orders before then.

MattBlah
11-03-2016, 04:55 AM
I asked NeoSD the exact same question and the reply was that on 1st December these should be available. Hopefully we can place pre-orders before then.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd be happy to place a pre-order if they could allow it on the website.

daithidownunder
11-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all the amazing clandestine work on this NeoSD! You have certainly surprised a lot of people with this creation :drool:

Also many thanks to Raz for his efforts thus far, I look forward to reading the rest of your review.

Gyrian
11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but how about a NeoCD type loading screen? Like have the animated Monkey, or a random slide show. I know it's not a functionality thing, but it might be a nice addition.

I missed this comment earlier, holy shit!
Fantastic tongue in cheek touch, I really hope the UI can some day be upgraded to include this. :lolz:

neosd
11-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Hello,

We are not going to open preorders for NEOSD+shell cause even we have a factory delivery date for the shells (1st of December), we still dont know if the factory is going to acomplish with that date. We think they will, but we cant confirm that 100% right now. We should know more in about two weeks from today, this is how factory times work, unfortunally ...

Also, we have a surprise for all preorders, but as i say, its a surprise so we are not going to tell it to rise sales/preorders.

I hope you guys understand that, we are doing our best to have everyone happy.

Thanks !

Thanks. Yeah, I'd be happy to place a pre-order if they could allow it on the website.

greedostick
11-03-2016, 10:17 AM
The next part of my review will be about this very topic. Its the part of the review I'm really looking forward to because this is where the NeoSD kicks ass. In a Big Big way. I still cannot believe some of the things I'm seeing here with the protected games even its right in front of my eyes.

Pretty much all I need to hear.

This is probably a dumb question, but what if I want to play an AES version of a game where you cant just force it into AES mode to get the version you want? Like Magician Lord AES version where you spawn back at the beginning of the level?

From my understanding this version is solely on home carts.

Will that version work in neo sd?

Not even sure if the ROM exists for that one.

Razoola
11-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Pretty much all I need to hear.

This is probably a dumb question, but what if I want to play an AES version of a game where you cant just force it into AES mode to get the version you want? Like Magician Lord AES version where you spawn back at the beginning of the level?

From my understanding this version is solely on home carts.

Will that version work in neo sd?

Not even sure if the ROM exists for that one.

That versiov of Magician Lord works on the NeoSD, you have to have it flashed to play it though.

Razoola
11-03-2016, 01:48 PM
How games play and the NeoSD preforms.

Now comes the fun part of the review because it involves playing games. There is no point buying the NeoSD after all if it cannot or cannot do the fundamental thing you bought it for, or only do them to the same level as a multicart (161in1). With this is mind I will probably reference the multicarts a few times in this section comparing how games play on that compared to the NeoSD.

KOF2003 (almost the ultimate test for the NeoSD).

Given I knew a little bit about the NeoSD before I received one I knew this was going to be the first game I flashed onto it. This is game that would tell me whether the NeoSD was just Hype or the real deal. The 161in1 has this game supported via a hack but it does not display correctly. It was a nervous 4:30 minutes while I waited for the game to flash. Then bam, once done the Neo Geo reset itself and I was presented with the Blue Green SNK / Playmore logo and growling music undertones. It's working. It's working.

For some that would be enough to say the game is supported and working but not for me. I want to make sure the hardware additions added to the original cartridge were also being handled correctly before I give my verdict.

First thing on my list was checking the game is correct with the UniBios game cart CRC32 check. I want to make sure there is no patching happening to the main program ROM to fake features in the game or cartridge hardware. I cold booted the NeoGeo and entered the CRC32 check. Boom, all regions pass!

Next priority to check was correct colour palette conversions... I can see It's an easy pass given attract mode is drawing correctly. To be sure no other trickery was going on I used the UniBios v3.3 patch feature to confirm the palette features on the original kof2003 cartridge were working as expected, and they were!

Next thing on my list, does it have the small RAM region kof2003 holds in its cartridge? After a quick test (using UniBios again)... BAM, it's there where it should be and 100% working!

Next thing to discover, is the banking system working in the same way as the original Kof2003 cartridge? Again after a little probing I can see it is!

Next thing to look at was if the NeoSD handles the FIX banking system used in the game. A simple thing to check given as soon as the first attract mode fight sequence begins I'll have the answer. Winner!!! Correct transparent effects on the energy bars and names. There is no way this can be easily patched into the game either if only the smaller FIX space is supported.

Lastly sound. There is not much to say given I can only use my ears as a reference. It sounds identical to the original to me though. There were no distortions, noise or anything else that made me say to myself this does not sound right. It was still sounding perfect after playing a few games too.

So what does this mean? Well I have thrown everything that comes to mind to try and find a weakness in the way the NeoSD is working compared to the original Kof2003 cartridge. Something where I could say this is not 100% right in how the game plays but I cannot find anything. As it stands now there is only one difference I can think of, that is if I were to put the PCBs of an original KOF2003 and the NeoSD next to each other they would look different. That is how close and impressive the NeoSD is.

We need to stand back for a moment to fully appreciate what this really means in relation to what the NeoSD is doing as a piece of hardware. Kof2003 was released well over 10 years ago and during that time there was never (to my knowledge) a proper bootleg version of the game. That is a bootleg that technically does the same, and plays the same as the original including its extra features. The Bootlegs have always been easy to spot just by playing the game, this was true until October 2016. Now when you couple this truth with the fact you can load any other original SNK game onto the NeoSD... It's like mind blown!

Garou Mark of the Wolves.

I'm not going to spend as much time going into details like I did with kof2003 because the story is the same. Many of you will undoubtedly know this is another game that has never really had correct bootlegs (or been done correctly on a multicart). I have flashed Garou onto the NeoSD and got the following;

Confirmed the game is unpatched.
Confirmed the extras SNK put on the cart are also present on the NeoSD.
Confirmed game banking operates in the same way as the original cartridge.
Confirmed expanded FIX tile support.
Listened to sound to confirm it's good.

Just like kof2003, Garou is just as impressive, for me it is no different than playing the game from the original cartridge. I want to highlight that an original kof2003 and Garou both use a different SNK cartridge spec. There is no way you can take one game and expect it to run on the PCB of the other. This means the NeoSD is correctly identifying the unpatched game it's loaded with and configuring itself so that game runs correctly.

I have done these same tests with various other protected games and the result is always the same. They are totally accurate, the NeoSD is setting itself to correctly copy the original game cartridge.

Metal Slug X.

The thorn in the side, or is it? We already know this game currently is not going to run identically to the original. Neosd has been clear in the forum in mentioning this fact. It's well worth the mention here though because it highlights the effort being put in. Let me be clear first, you can flash and play the game on the NeoSD and it will appear to be original. It plays just as well as the version people use when their original MSX cart stops working and they reprogram a replacement P1 ROM. In short there are patches applied to remove game protections so it will run on the NeoSD, I have confirmed this using the UniBios CRC32 check.

So what is the problem with this game? Well it's really very simple, currently the way the cart protection works is unknown. The NeoSD cannot be expected to copy something when there is no information on what it needs to copy. An original MSX cartridge will need probing to understand what it is doing. Only then can the patches be removed and the game be 100% the same as the original. There are also a couple of other areas where it is unknown if the NeoSD is doing things accurately (though it may well be accurate). Steps are being taken to confirm either way I hear and of course changes will be made if needed.

What this shows to me is the makers are not happy just to have a game that is playable, they will not be happy until the game is playable in an identical way to the original!

Trash Rally, Riding Hero and League Bowling.

These three games do work on the NeoSD and pass the UniBios CRC32 checks. The original games do come with the ability to linkup however so players can play over multiple Neo Geo systems. This feature is not supported on the NeoSD and may never be. Neosd has said it may be technically possible to add the feature via a small daughter board in the future, so all is not lost. But he also makes clear no one should take it as given that the feature will be added, even he would like to see it himself.

NGdevteam Games.

These game are not supported and will not work on the device. I took the MAME Last Hope ROM and tried in various different ways to get NeoSD to play the game. While it was easy to get the NeoSD to flash the game data, I just could not get it to run. All I got was the crosshatch screen. These games are not supported, confirmed.

Other Games in General.

I have not yet found a single issue with the exception of MSX above. All the protected games appear to be totally accurate and all original games are supported (I have not tested all mind). I have not found any sound issues on any games tested so far. Thanks to the info from GadgetUK, I have also confirmed the following games do not suffer the sound issues which plague the multicart versions;

Cyber Lip has no missing or broken voices during intro.
League Bowling does not miss ADPCM-B samples (voice on intro for example).
Kof98 plays radio chat voices on intro.
Metal Slug 5 character select music has no volume shifts.
NAM-1975 soldier screams does not breakup during intro.
Ninja Masters has no breakup or volume shifts during intro.
Neo Turf Masters intro and game music has no volume shifts in background music.
Pulstar music has no breakup and volume shifts during intro.
Strikers 1945 Plus has no volume shifts in background music.
Rage of Dragons has no breakup or volume shifts during intro.

I mentioned in the review section of the NeoBuilder that some bootleg games in MAME are not yet converted or supported. This is being worked on now I have been told. Many bootlegs that are on the multicarts will be instantly playable on the NeoSD once dumps become available given their generic nature.

I have tested some bootlegs like Metal Slug 2 turbo and Crossed Swords 2 to confirm they work as expected.

Conclusion

Apart from the Metal Slug X situation and the missing link feature there is simply nothing else I can see that needs addressing. I think to find faults will actually require me to start reviewing the games themselves!

This is a really quite advanced piece of hardware. There is no worry of having to patch out protections before some games will work as the NeoSD replicates the original cartridge hardware. It must automatically choose the right configuration for the game it holds in flash.

It is very clear the priority has been put into the NeoSD playing games correctly rather than just playing games, this justifies the price in my view. What the NeoSD is doing is quite amazing! There is little more to say, speechless....

Kid Panda
11-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Great write up Raz, I'm most certainly excited to get mine now!

GadgetUK
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Totally awesome review Raz! Really enjoyed reading your breakdown of how everything works etc. It's a shame the Last Hope beta doesn't work, I was kind of hoping it did (it did on their video when they demonstrated it?!?). I've ordered an proper Last Hope from NGDEV last XMAS but still wanted to be able to play it on the SD. I guess I can wait until 2017 when NGDEV finally get around to shipping it =/

leonk
11-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Thanks Raz for that awesome review! We really have a winner here.

I did notice that we keep comparing this device to the cheap multicarts or original hardware; what about MAME?? Has MAME gotten Neo Geo emulation to the point where it will pass all (but MSX) CRC32 checks and be equivalent to this device in terms of behaviour? I know nothing beats original hardware .. but it's interesting to know how well MAME has progressed over the years.

aoiddr
11-03-2016, 02:34 PM
[deleted post]

greedostick
11-03-2016, 02:39 PM
This is great! I cant wait to get mine.

Officially Pumped!

wyo
11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the review, Raz!

Rot
11-03-2016, 03:33 PM
I have found away to stop load times...

I suggest you buy a neosd for EVERY game... and preload them... and put them in a shockbox..

xROTx

PS. Nice review Raz... I am glad the device does what it says on the tin... it's hard to impress you... That says more than any words can...

nornor1
11-03-2016, 04:09 PM

I suggest you buy a neosd for EVERY game... and preload them... and put them in a shockbox..

xROTx

PS. Nice review Raz... I am glad the device does what it says on the tin... it's hard to impress you... That says more than any words can...

lol, you might actually save some money doing it this way for some titles :).

CORY
11-03-2016, 04:19 PM

xROTx

I'm not sure that's how it works :keke:

Rot
11-03-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure that's how it works :keke:

Cory_poon... plz...

It's been stated that once the game is loaded... it stays on the neosd....

You just have to pre-load each game in the Ng library ONCE.... thats like 180plus neosd's... and Job is a good un'...:D

xROTx

shadows
11-03-2016, 04:30 PM
That is great news to hear.

CORY
11-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Cory_poon... plz...

You just have to pre-load each game in the Ng library ONCE.... thats like 180plus neosd's... and Job is a good un'...:D

xROTx

Rot plz, I thought this thing was made to save us some money :lolz:

I'm going to subscribe to 8man's collection thread now waiting for neosd versions of every single one of his games :keke:

munchiaz
11-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Rot plz, I thought this thing was made to save us some money :lolz:

I'm going to subscribe to 8man's collection thread now waiting for neosd versions of every single one of his games :keke:

LMAO.

On the NeoSD. I had a discussion awhile ago about this thing, where some people were saying its over priced, and just to get a multicart. I'm thrilled that Raz's review puts all that shit talk to sleep. This thing is awesome, and someday i hope to get one.

Syn
11-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Cory_poon... plz...

xROTx

And since you're just flashing it once it'll never wear out, lasting forever!!!

Montatez
11-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks Raz, the write up was helpful.

Must resist spending moooooney......

massimiliano
11-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks Raz!

tcdev
11-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that Raz is one of the very few people with the knowledge required for such a comprehensive, and most importantly, to-the-point review of the NeoSD flash cart and that as a result, I think we all now can have the confidence that the NeoSD flash cart lives up to all its claims and is, well... all-but-perfect (MSX) - and probably will soon be perfect! So thanks to Raz for a fantastic review.

On a personal note, I was holding out for an AES version but after reading the review I'm very excited about it and it's going to be difficult to restrain myself from ordering one now! ;)

F4U57
11-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Excellent and thorough review Raz!

Fygee
11-03-2016, 07:07 PM
I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I say that this is one of the most important events in Neo Geo history.

Good on you NeoSD. You've done what was thought impossible, and done it well.

AMike
11-03-2016, 07:51 PM
@NeoSd
Your payment system is the biggest crap I've seen in ecommerce history. I've tried 3 (in words three) different credit cards (Visa,MasterCard, AMEX) but no one of the cards was accepted by the system - and it's for sure not a financial problem on my side. :annoyed::annoyed::very_ang::very_ang:

hyper
11-03-2016, 08:06 PM
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268514-NEOSD-flash-card&p=4131591&highlight=#post4131591
Hello

Its pretty weird, some transactions from USA are acepted, others donエt. We dont really know why.
When asking BBVA (our bank, the provider of the payment system), they just say : this operation has been rejected by the bank that issues the credit card without more info, customer has to ask his bank to get more details.

If you guys could ask your bank and give us the details, this would be great, so we can finally get the issue shorted.

Really sorry for the inconveniences, dealing with banks isnt something easy ...

Thanks

Westcb
11-03-2016, 08:07 PM
@NeoSd
Your payment system is the biggest crap I've seen in ecommerce history. I've tried 3 (in words three) different credit cards (Visa,MasterCard, AMEX) but no one of the cards was accepted by the system - and it's for sure not a financial problem on my side. :annoyed::annoyed::very_ang::very_ang:

Did you call your CC company and tell them you were trying to make an international purchase first?

Fygee
11-03-2016, 08:10 PM
@NeoSd

Dude, chill the fuck out. You have five posts in five years, you don't get to come in here and make angry rants.

Kid Panda
11-03-2016, 08:16 PM
@NeoSd

Had zero issues with my purchases. Might want to call your credit card company.

AMike
11-03-2016, 08:29 PM
This cards were regular used in the past.. with no single problem.

sent from mobile device

CORY
11-03-2016, 08:35 PM

sent from mobile device

Did you call your credit card company?

sent from my iPenis using Tapacaulk

greedostick
11-03-2016, 08:49 PM
I would advise calling you CC company. It might help

tcdev
11-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Send me your credit card details, I'll try for you from down under! :loco:

fenikso
11-03-2016, 10:13 PM

sent from mobile device

Seriously, dude, just call your CC company or the bank that issued it to you (I had to call both). It's a pain to be sure, but it takes them only a few seconds to fix and then you can pre-order.

goombakid
11-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Awesome review, Raz! I'm freaking pumped to get this...as soon as I can get the monies for it...might have to sell some of my MVS games...

Sceptre_JLRB
11-04-2016, 02:30 AM
Hiya!

Just swarming around this exciting thread since the great news popped up...
First and foremost, I'd like to say: Congratulations @neosd team for this breathtaking NeoSD flashcart!!! Now you guys truly have the Holy Grial in Neo-Geo scene and your development is utterly impressive! Plus, feedback with prospective users at this community is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

In addition, thank you Razoola for the thorough, comprehensive review on the product, and thanks all the community for your comments, info and critical view.

I DO NEED the NeoSD... But I'd go for the complete flashcart+shell option, just expecting to save on shipping costs. Any chance to make this pre-order despite the shells being currently unavailable? Thanks again!

Cheers.

neosd
11-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Hello,

I checked our payment system and it seems your bank is blocking the transaction, it has already happened before to others and its caused by the bank who issued your credit card is thinking this is a suspicious transaction, so it blocks it. You need to call your bank and tell its you wanting to pay, so they will allow the transaction.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks !

@NeoSd

BerryTogart
11-04-2016, 03:01 AM
First of all thank you Raz and congratulations on the product neosd.
Just a short question regarding sales: atm I'm not finding enough time finish/play all the games I currently have anyways - in the long run though I'd defenitely be interested in buying the product.
Can you please state how the long term planning is regarding production runs? (long term availability)

neosd
11-04-2016, 03:13 AM
Hello,

On the production side, we will produce batches as long as those get sold, producing a batch takes arround 3-4 weeks. We have submited the seccond batch the day we opened the webshop, Razoolas NEOSD is not a prototype, its was part of the first batch (this was a limited run to validate the entire manufacturing process and went to friends/testers/reviewers)

On the software side, we are going to add updates/new functions as long as there is something to fix/add. We are a company, but we are no different than anyone else here, we put our money and time on this project cause we wanted a NEOSD for ourselves, so we are not going to stop until the software has all functions it needs. Our priority has been 100% and perfect game support from day one, once that is finished, we will add more things.

Thanks !

First of all thank you Raz and congratulations on the product neosd.
Just a short question regarding sales: atm I'm not finding enough time finish/play all the games I currently have anyways - in the long run though I'd defenitely be interested in buying the product.
Can you please state how the long term planning is regarding production runs? (long term availability)

neosd
11-04-2016, 04:30 AM
Ok guys, lets put some light on that subjet.

Our plan was to give a free shell to EVERYONE that has preordered NEOSD as a surprise.

Fact is that we keep getting emails and questions here about preorders for cart+shell, we didnt want to answer cause the surprise, but those questions keep surfacing, so we got forced to explain it.

So, its not a surprise anymore.

We will send a free shell to all preorders, we will pay shipment for it aswel. Once shells arrive, you will be able to purchase neosd+shell as a combo.

Thanks !

I DO NEED the NeoSD... But I'd go for the complete flashcart+shell option, just expecting to save on shipping costs. Any chance to make this pre-order despite the shells being currently unavailable? Thanks again!

Cheers.

MattBlah
11-04-2016, 04:43 AM
I'm ready to order, but my credit card is an Amex, so unless I can find a friend willing to let me use theirs I'm a bit stuck.

Any plans to add a paypal checkout? It might also help with the payment issues some have been having.

Sceptre_JLRB
11-04-2016, 04:49 AM
@neosd , you're ALMIGHTY GODS! :buttrock:

Our plan was to give a free shell to EVERYONE that has preordered NEOSD as a surprise.

Fact is that we keep getting emails and questions here about preorders for cart+shell, we didnt want to answer cause the surprise, but those questions keep surfacing, so we got forced to explain it.

We will send a free shell to all preorders, we will pay shipment for it aswel. Once shells arrive, you will be able to purchase neosd+shell as a combo.

Thanks !

neosd
11-04-2016, 04:55 AM
I'm ready to order, but my credit card is an Amex, so unless I can find a friend willing to let me use theirs I'm a bit stuck.

Any plans to add a paypal checkout? It might also help with the payment issues some have been having.

We are seriously considering that option.
Problem with paypal is :
a) they take a high fee per sale
b) they tend to block accounts and so

So we may enable paypal at a higher price (3-7% more if you pay with paypal).
Main problem about this is that people may get upset with the rise of price while pruchasing by paypal, credit card would mantain the price, but people not being able to pay with credit card may be upset paying higher price with paypal ...)

Any sugestions are welcome guys ... We just want to have everyone happy as long as possible, but we need to make money to pay the party so we all can dance.

Thanks !

MattBlah
11-04-2016, 05:03 AM
We are seriously considering that option.
Problem with paypal is :
a) they take a high fee per sale
b) they tend to block accounts and so

So we may enable paypal at a higher price (3-7% more if you pay with paypal).
Main problem about this is that people may get upset with the rise of price while pruchasing by paypal, credit card would mantain the price, but people not being able to pay with credit card may be upset paying higher price with paypal ...)

Any sugestions are welcome guys ... We just want to have everyone happy as long as possible, but we need to make money to pay the party so we all can dance.

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply and that's completely understandable. Different prices would probably cause confusion at checkout, meaning more issues.

I'm sure I can talk a friend into letting me use their card :)

Razoola
11-04-2016, 05:10 AM
Yesturday evening I got a firmware update for the neoSD I'm reviewing. Some of the minor issues I hilighted have been fixed and more of the NeoGeo MAME bootlegs are now working. Also some of the features that were not working in the UI are now showing signs of life :)

Raz

Rot
11-04-2016, 05:13 AM
Yesturday evening I got a firmware update for the neoSD in reviewing. Some of the minor issues I hilighted have been fixed and more of the NeoGeo MAME bootlegs are now working. Also some of the features that were not working in the UI are now showing signs of life :)

Raz

That's good Raz... you're working hard atm:D

Anyway lads... seeing as this is refers mainly to you guys... I wish your feedback in THIS Thread... (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268697-Rot-Proposes-this-for-the-Neo-Geo-DEV-and-HOMEBREW-section&goto=newpost)

I am posting it here because it relates to you guys and this thread atm has a high footfall of members..

xROTx

MattBlah
11-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Order placed. I can't wait for this to arrive :)

JMKurtz
11-04-2016, 06:38 AM
How about:

Super Bubble Pop
Jockey Grandprix
VLiner

Do they work as expected?

Thanks for your review. I REALLY, REALLY hope my wife has ordered this for me for Christmas. I'm going to cry on Christmas day if this isn't under the tree...

Jeff

Yesturday evening I got a firmware update for the neoSD I'm reviewing. Some of the minor issues I hilighted have been fixed and more of the NeoGeo MAME bootlegs are now working. Also some of the features that were not working in the UI are now showing signs of life :)

Raz

GadgetUK
11-04-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks !

That's fantastic! Very very much appreciated =D

Razoola
11-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Ill see if I can check those now

GadgetUK
11-04-2016, 06:47 AM
How about:

I REALLY, REALLY hope my wife has ordered this for me for Christmas. I'm going to cry on Christmas day if this isn't under the tree...

Jeff

LOL! I would be looking for a divorce, never name crying! Make sure you keep mentioning it to her, and just how important it is - compare it to how important your marriage is (so she gets an idea of the significance!!!) =D

oliverclaude
11-04-2016, 06:57 AM
User Interface, Options and Usage. ...

How games play and the NeoSD preforms. ...

This is a very very impressive review & a pleasure to read: you actually captured the excitement and joy of testing NeoSD on an intensively immersive level -- one could clearly feel your work Razoola. Top effort, thank you very much, indeed!

Electric Grave
11-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Thanks Raz for the good work, this is all great news and best of luck with Neo Geo Land, I'm looking forward to it.

Razoola
11-04-2016, 10:05 AM
PCB layout and design.

Everything looks very clean and nicely spaced from what I can see. There are two connectors which connect the PROG and CHA boards together on both edges. These connectors are really strong and once joined they hold both PCB's in parallel very well, much better than I first imagined to be honest. Once connected the PROG and CHA PCB's are spaced perfectly and ready to fit into the Neo Geo cartridge slot. The opposite end of both PCB's has a JTAG connector but this is something that will probably never be used.

I cannot really comment on the component side of things as this is not my area of expertise so instead here are some snaps of the PCB's for your enjoyment.

I have discovered one small issue with the SDcard socket location that may hinder a couple of DEV's only. This is the fact that on some MVS systems the SDcard cannot be accessed while the NeoSD is plugged in. The problem is the black plastic (or metal) MVS cartridge guide blocks the access. This means the NeoSD needs to be unplugged to get to the SD card. For the vast majority this is a non-issue given most will simply insert the SDcard into the NeoSD SDcard and there it will say (only being removed very rarely). For Me? Well I need access a little more often... My solution was a journey to the shed to find my trusty hacksaw and a minute later problem solved. I could have simply removed the guide by unscrewing it but that was too easy.

Anyone in the MVS cleaning business btw?

Rot
11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Don't you have a dremel Raz?... I might send you one for Xmas man...

GEEZ... worse hardware mod evar...

xROTx

PS. Thank you for your continued work Raz...

EDIT: Jeff has asked me to look into the fact that you haven't tested those games... /thug4hireTe...

Razoola
11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Jeff, Both Vliner and Jockey GP will work but you need a UniBios to add credits via the cheat. Super Bubble Pop is not yet converted by the NeoBuilder tool but it is planned to be added.

Niko
11-04-2016, 10:41 AM
One of the games I'm curious about is SamShoV Special. There are sound problems when playing in MAME, a repro cart, or any of the multi carts. Due to inaccurate emulation of the neo pcm2.

Raz, if you have time. I would be interested in knowing if this issue also happens with the NeoSD. I have included a short 9sec video I recorded awhile ago. If you listen to when the announcer says "Basara", at the end of the name there is a distortion/pop noise. This happens on everything except a real cart.

dnnRlDGbJQ8

Razoola
11-04-2016, 10:58 AM
One of the games I'm curious about is SamShoV Special. There are sound problems when playing in MAME, a repro cart, or any of the multi carts. Due to inaccurate emulation of the neo pcm2.

Raz, if you have time. I would be interested in knowing if this issue also happens with the NeoSD. I have included a short 9sec video I recorded awhile ago. If you listen to when the announcer says "Basara", at the end of the name there is a distortion/pop noise. This happens on everything except a real cart.

dnnRlDGbJQ8

I have just had a listen to this and the situation does happen also on the NeoSD. I'm 99% sure the issue is a badly dumped V1 or V2 ROM. I'll ask NTM is he can redump both if he has the cart as I looked a little more and I'm now 99.9% sure its a bad dump.

cyd
11-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Le sigh... transaction blocked by bank... called bank, was told that yes they stopped the transaction, it was "fraud prevention", thanked them for their protection, proved to them that yes it is me on the phone, yes I'm making an international purchase, please allow this transaction, and then was told "no we will not allow the transaction"... Now awaiting a call back from a "manager"... time will tell.

munchiaz
11-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Le sigh... transaction blocked by bank... called bank, was told that yes they stopped the transaction, it was "fraud prevention", thanked them for their protection, proved to them that yes it is me on the phone, yes I'm making an international purchase, please allow this transaction, and then was told "no we will not allow the transaction"... Now awaiting a call back from a "manager"... time will tell.

I'd be like "bitch you trying to stop me from neo bliss?!?!"

Niko
11-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I have just had a listen to this and the situation does happen also on the NeoSD. I'm 99% sure the issue is a badly dumped V1 or V2 ROM. I'll ask NTM is he can redump both if he has the cart as I looked a little more and I'm now 99.9% sure its a bad dump.

Thanks Raz! I was hoping in the back of my mind that wouldn't be the case. Its kinda scary to thick about what other bad dumps might be out there. :S

neosd
11-04-2016, 12:33 PM

Story of my life :(

Ten days dealing with our bank to get rid of all rules to block USA transactions we had setup (by them).
Now we got the rules removed and have this drama with USA banks, same story, different banks.

Monday we are going look to enable bank transfer, so people that cant purchase with credit card, can pay this way atleast.

Really sorry for the issue :(

cyd
11-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I'd be like "bitch you trying to stop me from neo bliss?!?!"

I tried that! that's how I got placed in queue to speak to a manager... and they still haven't called back... I mean come on its been a whole 20 minutes!!! ;P

cyd
11-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Story of my life :(
Really sorry for the issue :(

Not your issue Neosd! You have been doing your due diligence as fas as I can tell. I've had ... difficulties... with this bank for years now. This may be the one that makes me finally switch to a different bank.

GadgetUK
11-04-2016, 01:01 PM
At least your bank are questioning it on the right day! My bank blocked subsequent transactions but allowed the Neo SD to go through. Only when I tried using my card the following day was it blocked! I wouldn't mind but in my case they let an 'out of the ordinary' transaction through and stopped something that I buy regularly lol.

grandmascrack
11-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Raz's review and getting the case with my preorder sealed the deal. I didn't have any purchasing problems using a Citi MasterCard, if that helps anyone.

tcdev
11-04-2016, 05:31 PM
and then was told "no we will not allow the transaction"...
And my response would have been "OK, I'd like to close my account please."

tcdev
11-04-2016, 05:35 PM
I think I've got little choice now except to order one of these, else I'll be the only person without one soon.

@neosd: When do pre-orders end? I'm waiting on my accountant to finish my books so I know what I owe the tax office and if there's anything left to buy a flash cart! :(

Fygee
11-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I think I've got little choice now except to order one of these, else I'll be the only person without one soon.

@neosd: When do pre-orders end? I'm waiting on my accountant to finish my books so I know what I owe the tax office and if there's anything left to buy a flash cart! :(

Wondering about this as well. I intend on purchasing it, but the money won't be available for a couple weeks.

By the way, for people complaining about their banks rejecting their transactions, this is actually a good thing. Many identity thieves will attempt to do overseas transactions. My account got exposed to that twice and my credit union stopped it in its tracks.

Just call your bank or credit union and let them know what's up.

GohanX
11-04-2016, 06:36 PM
I know, I tried ordering once with a card I stole from Panda, it won't go through.

Kid Panda
11-04-2016, 06:50 PM
I know, I tried ordering once with a card I stole from Panda, it won't go through.

:lolz:

Neodogg
11-04-2016, 07:39 PM

Young grasshopper, you must be one with the panda card to work...

Teddy KGB
11-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Teddy like.

Thanks for the thorough testing, Raz.

leonk
11-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Hey Raz. I know this thread is wild.. are you able to answer my mame question a few posts back? or you just never compared it?

Razoola
11-05-2016, 02:25 AM
I missed you post. MAME is very powerfull and by far the most accurate NeoGeo emulator but it is still not the same as running on the real hardware as many NeoGeo homebrew devs will know. MAME can allow MSX to pass the unibios check I believe but some aspects which allow that to happen are simulated and it is not known if what MAME does is 100% correct. That also goes for some things MAME does in other NeoGeo games too, some of this will be mentioned in the MAME source code.

aoiddr
11-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Neosd, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that a Toshiba brand microSD card had a faster write speed. Which model model number is that card?

neosd
11-05-2016, 05:36 AM
Hello,

We just bought 3 different 16gb class 10 microsd cards (all cheap ones, from 7 to 9 euros)
One of those was the same sandisk card Razoola is using, this sandisk card took 4:37 to load the bigest game (kof2003), toshiba card took 4:07 to load the same .neo file.
This was the Toshiba card http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tarjeta-microsd-toshiba-16gb-1318028

Better cards MAY give better read speeds, we dont really know where is the limit if you ask me, we just bought cheap cards to give real world numbers, cause most people own those cards and not 20 euros cards.

Thanks !

Neosd, it was mentioned earlier in the thread that a Toshiba brand microSD card had a faster write speed. Which model model number is that card?

neosd
11-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Hello,

As today, we will get the seccond batch from factory 14-15th november. Thats the last info we had from factory (by phone call yesterday), so we should start shipping 15th or 16th, it deppends on the hour we got the boards.
We were going to get the boards Firday 11th November, but there were 2 national party days this week (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints%27_Day) and factories got closed.

We will ship all preorders the same day, once shipped, free shell promotion ends. On that moment we will change the text on the store from : Shipping on 15th November to : In Stock.

Thanks !!

neosd
11-05-2016, 05:49 AM
PCB layout and design.

Raz,

You can remove the Scotch tape from the pcbs, it was there just to know wich boards were programmed :)

Thanks !

Razoola
11-05-2016, 05:55 AM
its ok, I hold it from that area so I dont get finger prints on them :)

Sceptre_JLRB
11-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Hello,

We just bought 3 different 16gb class 10 microsd cards (all cheap ones, from 7 to 9 euros)
One of those was the same sandisk card Razoola is using, this sandisk card took 4:37 to load the bigest game (kof2003), toshiba card took 4:07 to load the same .neo file.
This was the Toshiba card http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tarjeta-microsd-toshiba-16gb-1318028

Better cards MAY give better read speeds, we dont really know where is the limit if you ask me, we just bought cheap cards to give real world numbers, cause most people own those cards and not 20 euros cards.

Thanks !

Good to know about that Toshiba SD card! Thanks for the info!

As a matter of fact, yesterday I got one from the same mall franchise... I see my guess was right, trying to choose the best possible one for NeoSD at a reasonable price, finally I got the same Toshiba SD card, but 32GB and with U3 specification. This one:
http://tiendas.mediamarkt.es/p/tarjeta-microsd-toshiba-32gb-c10-90-mbs-1333283

MattBlah
11-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Just to get ready for arrival, I just need an SD card and load it with ROMs of the games I want and that's it? I've never used a flash cart before, so I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Kid Panda
11-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Just to get ready for arrival, I just need an SD card and load it with ROMs of the games I want and that's it? I've never used a flash cart before, so I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Don't forget that you will need to convert the roms for use on the sd card.

neosd
11-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Don't forget that you will need to convert the roms for use on the sd card.

Hello,

On shipping day we will upload the last version of the conversion tool, you just need mame roms on the same folder.

Thanks !

Rot
11-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Hello,

On shipping day we will upload the last version of the conversion tool, you just need mame roms on the same folder.

Thanks !

Can I ask what fixes have been applied since Raz's review of your tool mister neosd...

xROTx

neosd
11-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Ofcourse,

The tool now writes a log file on the folder where it is, so users can see errors and sucess events that happened during conversion process.
We have added more hacks/bootlegs to the tool aswel, some hacks/bootlegs just worked adding correct decryption process to the tool, others needed firmware aditions to work.
Thats the main reason to release the tool to the public the day we ship NEOSD, conversion tool and NEOSD firmware, should mach as possible to avoid people reporting errors of a bootleg/hack not working caused by the use of an old version of the conversion tool.

Thanks !

Can I ask what fixes have been applied since Raz's review of your tool mister neosd...

xROTx

soiaf
11-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Thanks a lot for this neosd! I pre-ordered my NeoSD last week but I was planning on buying a new shell as soon as they became available. Really great that you're taking care of your early adopters.

X68
11-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Joined up here for this thread, looking forward to receiving the device ;)

Rot
11-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Thanks a lot for this neosd! I pre-ordered my NeoSD last week but I was planning on buying a new shell as soon as they became available. Really great that you're taking care of your early adopters.

Joined up here for this thread, looking forward to receiving the device ;)

Man... I was gonna take a breather from the site for a while...

But it seems we are getting an influx of members wishing to register here... I daren't even leave it 48 hours now... geez... or the list grows...

xROTx

PS.... soiaf there broke my balls via email... I am so tempted to ban him right now...

Kid Panda
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Man... I was gonna take a breather from the site for a while...

But it seems we are getting an influx of members wishing to register here... I daren't even leave it 48 hours now... geez... or the list grows...

xROTx

PS.... soiaf there broke my balls via email... I am so tempted to ban him right now...

This isn't the official Neosd forums. Ban his ass.

Nostromo
11-05-2016, 01:19 PM
NeoSD order placed! (no bank issues)

After Razoola's ace review, and the free enclosure included with preorders I had no excuses not to.

Dahun72
11-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Anyone else getting a privacy error when going to the neosdstore site?

WNivek
11-05-2016, 04:30 PM
After a bit of hubbub with my own bank, order placed. Sounds like a fantastic piece of kit, and I'd love to get my hands on one.

neosd
11-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Anyone else getting a privacy error when going to the neosdstore site?

Hello,

Privacy error ? We have enabled HTTPS and bought an SSL certificate that proves the site is run by our company (Terraonion SL)

Thanks

FilthyRear
11-05-2016, 06:32 PM

fuck him

phoenixdownita
11-06-2016, 12:34 AM
Any of the gentlemen that preordered it plan to try it with the MagicKey and an AES?

Raz said it doesn't have either at the moment so he may not be able to test anything on it. At 380 eur is a little too steep for me to just "try" it.

Xian Xi
11-06-2016, 01:02 AM

Was there ever a reply to my question? If so, I can't find it.

greatfunky
11-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Any of the gentlemen that preordered it plan to try it with the MagicKey and an AES?

Raz said it doesn't have either at the moment so he may not be able to test anything on it. At 380 eur is a little too steep for me to just "try" it.

I'm planning to ordering one , i have the MagicKey green version with my aes system , and a few MVS motherboards in Arcade cabinets so if It does not work , i could use it anyway .
I'll report here the result if nobody do it before me.

neosd
11-06-2016, 01:53 AM
Was there ever a reply to my question? If so, I can't find it.

Where would you want it to be placed ? at the options menu for example ?
We will see if its possible, but just now there are other priorities (100% bootleg/hacks support is on the top of the list).

Thanks !

Razoola
11-06-2016, 02:17 AM
Careful consideration is need when thinking of adding a testmmode switch via another another keycode. Technically is easily possible to do although the NeoSD would need to look into the bios to find the testmode jump offset as it can be in different places in different bios.

The dilemma I had with the unibios was the fact that adding this feature instantly rules out the use in an arcade envirmoent unless the feature can be turned off or applied under set conditions only. In the end I added an arcade protect feature to handle such things which the arcade operater could enable to stop the user changing settings or adding cheats etc.

I only allow the alternate testmode button code to work providing arcade protect is not enabled and only during the unibios splash screen at boot. On top of that, when arcade protect is enabled the real testmode button must also be pressed with the keycode to get into the unibios settings.

I would suggest if a testmode feature is added to the NeoSD you need the arcade protect feature to go along side it. Also use that feature to lock out NeoSD settings / changing games. Its a little hassle as users do not read the manual and undoubtally lock themselves out but I guess they can always remove the SD card to reset settings when they do.

neosd
11-06-2016, 03:12 AM
Hello Raz,

We were going to make an arcade mode that once activated with a game arealdy flashed, if you remove the sd card you cannot enter menu with the triggers until you put the sd card back, so NEOSD will act as a cart.

Thanks

Careful consideration is need when thinking of adding a testmmode switch via another another keycode. Technically is easily possible to do although the NeoSD would need to look into the bios to find the testmode jump offset as it can be in different places in different bios.

The dilemma I had with the unibios was the fact that adding this feature instantly rules out the use in an arcade envirmoent unless the feature can be turned off or applied under set conditions only. In the end I added an arcade protect feature to handle such things which the arcade operater could enable to stop the user changing settings or adding cheats etc.

I only allow the alternate testmode button code to work providing arcade protect is not enabled and only during the unibios splash screen at boot. On top of that, when arcade protect is enabled the real testmode button must also be pressed with the keycode to get into the unibios settings.

I would suggest if a testmode feature is added to the NeoSD you need the arcade protect feature to go along side it. Also use that feature to lock out NeoSD settings / changing games. Its a little hassle as users do not read the manual and undoubtally lock themselves out but I guess they can always remove the SD card to reset settings when they do.

Razoola
11-06-2016, 03:15 AM
Hello Raz,

We were going to make an arcade mode that once activated with a game arealdy flashed, if you remove the sd card you cannot enter menu with the triggers until you put the sd card back, so NEOSD will act as a cart.

Thanks

Yes that would work and be a good solution actually althouigh the operator might moan about having to open the cab to change the game. If you added a testmode button option, tie it to that also (so it will not trigger if SD card removed).

NeoHomeBrew
11-06-2016, 04:10 AM
Hello,

Thanks !

That means using a high speed microSD card like the Toshiba EXCERIA PRO M501 (http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/) could decrease the loading time again?

neosd
11-06-2016, 05:21 AM
Hello

There is a part of the process that its not going to get improved using a better sd card, and thats erasing the flashes.

Reading speed should get increased using better sd cards, but as we said, we dont really know how better the whole flashing proces is going to be using better sd cards, we will know more about that once preorders have been shipped and users tell theyr times.

Also, there is another important factor to get better flashing speeds : To have clean formated the SD card prior copy the files there.

Thanks

That means using a high speed microSD card like the Toshiba EXCERIA PRO M501 (http://www.toshiba-memory.com/cms/en/products/microsd-cards/exceria/) could decrease the loading time again?

greatfunky
11-06-2016, 06:36 AM

Be careful with UHS-II cards or you could get opposite effect ! :
The EXCERIA PRO M501 is UHS-II , does the Neosd supporting UHS-II bus interface or UHS-I only ?
I ask that , because UHS-II cards are backwards compatible but they run slower than UHS-I cards in a non UHS-II reader , in that case , going with a good UHS-I is the best choice.

NeoHomeBrew
11-06-2016, 06:47 AM
OK, will order that EXCERIA PRO M501 microSD card and will post the KOF2003 load time as a reference as soon as your NeoSD boards have arrived.
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the boards are used for homebrew projects?

Edit: Just found some info on page 15 of this thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268514-NEOSD-flash-card&p=4129400&viewfull=1#post4129400):

P - 8 MB
C - 64 MB
V - 16 MB

What are the maximums for S1 and M1?

tcdev
11-06-2016, 06:57 AM
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the cart is used for homebrew projects?
Ah, that's a very good question! For Knight Lore, I had to masquerade as pspikes2, with 6MB of C-ROM! :spock:

I would expect whatever the limit now, that's easily changed should the need arise in the future?!?

neosd
11-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Hello,

1 MB program, 8MB banks, 512KB z80, 16MB samples, 64MB sprites, 512KB tiles with garou banking

About SD Card Interface : we just use the regular one.

Thanks !

OK, will order that EXCERIA PRO M501 microSD card and will post the KOF2003 load time as a reference as soon as your NeoSD boards have arrived.
One more question: What are the maximum sizes for the P, C, V, S1, M1 roms if the boards are used for homebrew projects?

Edit: Just found some info on page 15 of this thread (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268514-NEOSD-flash-card&p=4129400&viewfull=1#post4129400):

P - 8 MB
C - 64 MB
V - 16 MB

What are the maximums for S1 and M1?

Razoola
11-06-2016, 07:40 AM
S would be 512k and M 512k I would guess, though technically I think (could be wrong) only 256k on M would be supported by the NeoGeo.

GadgetUK
11-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Is there any way for code running on the 68K to read from the SD into work RAM? This is possible on the Atari Lynx SD cart from SainT - I just wondered if a similar thing could be done here? That way the prog code can be impressively large if required.

greedostick
11-06-2016, 09:58 AM

I will be testing it with the Daedalus and reporting back.

greatfunky
11-06-2016, 09:59 AM
A question about backupRAM option please :

Some people here are asking about mvs MagicKey compatibility , i remember Gunlord is not working with those converters because it looks for backup RAM at startup , which the AES does not have.
Will there be an option in neosd to disable/bypass backup RAM check at startup or ingame menu ? in short.... using neosd on an hardware whitout backup RAM.. ^_^

Thanks for your answer!

davidjv
11-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Raz and Neosd you can try the Samurai Spirits Zero (hack of XBOX version) for neo geo ?

greedostick
11-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Will the fixed version of samurai sprits 3 work?

Razoola
11-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Raz and Neosd you can try the Samurai Spirits Zero (hack of XBOX version) for neo geo ?

neobuilder -n "Samurai Shodown V (x-box hack)" -m "Yuki Enterprise" -y 2003 -g Fighting c:\neogeo\samsho5x.zip

I had to hack in the screenshot to the .neo (hopefully there will be the screenshot option eventually in the converter)

The hack works but its not so good quality by the looks of it, there is pixel glitching all over the place on the title page and character select screen. Zooming looked a little strange in places also. This is what happens when you do things and test on emulator only. It does work though.

fenikso
11-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Will the fixed version of samurai sprits 3 work?

They've been working on adding all of the boots and hacks to their program. If it's not on there now, I can only imagine it's just a matter of time.

phoenixdownita
11-06-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm planning to ordering one , i have the MagicKey green version with my aes system , and a few MVS motherboards in Arcade cabinets so if It does not work , i could use it anyway .
I'll report here the result if nobody do it before me.

Cool, I am in no hurry (I really like those 380 eur to stay in my pocket a little longer), let me know how it pans out.
I have a blue version updated with the latest cores (at the time) which I modded with a switch to permanently disable the onboard unibios, hopefully it all works out, I am not sure how much a neosd for AES would end up costing, just the adapters were expensive, unsure how cheap the neosd team could pull an AES version off .... time will tell, I would hope no more than an additional 50 eur, best scenario is at same price but I doubt it.

neosd
11-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Hello,

About SD reading, we are thinking on allowing homebrew to be able to request read chunks of data from the SD into the banked area.
It's not decided yet but it may work in 64KB chunks overlaid at the last part of the banked area, and some ports at the end, apart from the normal banking port, one to request the data and another to know if it has finished reading it from SD and is available to read.
In short, you can have the normal banking, and enable or disable a ram overlay at the end where the mcu can read data from the SD.

About the aes backram check, we need to check that, but this is a mvs only cart, and we still don't know if it works with MVS to AES adapters.

Thanks !

Is there any way for code running on the 68K to read from the SD into work RAM? This is possible on the Atari Lynx SD cart from SainT - I just wondered if a similar thing could be done here? That way the prog code can be impressively large if required.

Razoola
11-06-2016, 02:35 PM
That backupram check was done by the gunlord game (ngdevteam) and was not related to the converter doing something wrong. backupram is not going to stop the neosd working on an AES, its going to be other things in the way converters work that may stop it working only.

fille1976
11-06-2016, 03:26 PM
i have a neo mvs magic key(green),and would like to buy a neosd,but if its not working,then there goes 394 euro.

aoiddr
11-06-2016, 06:12 PM
NGdevteam Games.

These game are not supported and will not work on the device. I took the MAME Last Hope ROM and tried in various different ways to get NeoSD to play the game. While it was easy to get the NeoSD to flash the game data, I just could not get it to run. All I got was the crosshatch screen. These games are not supported, confirmed.

Did the ability to run the "Last Hope (bootleg AES to MVS conversion, no coin support)" MAME ROM get patched out after those initial videos that showed it as loading?

GadgetUK
11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Did the ability to run the "Last Hope (bootleg AES to MVS conversion, no coin support)" MAME ROM get patched out after those initial videos that showed it as loading?
Apparently yes - I was a bit annoyed as well btw (I've already bought Last Hope on MVS) but if you think about it its a good move as it might allow NGDEV to release games for sale that work on the Neo SD. The Neo SD team already said that they can 'sign' games to work only on individual carts, so NGDEV could sell Last Hope, Gunlord, Neo XYX, Razion, etc at a reasonable price and sell more in volume. I know I would buy all the other games I don't have if I could play them on the Neo SD.

caldwert
11-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Just went ahead and ordered one. Chase gave me the run around on ordering it but only took about 3 minutes on the phone to get it cleared. Excited to get this!

Dahun72
11-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Hello,

Privacy error ? We have enabled HTTPS and bought an SSL certificate that proves the site is run by our company (Terraonion SL)

Thanks

I get it when on my mobile phone/Chrome. Just checked now and it still happens but it's fine when I view on my PC/Firefox

greedostick
11-06-2016, 11:34 PM
i have a neo mvs magic key(green),and would like to buy a neosd,but if its not working,then there goes 394 euro.

read the thread. It's been answered many times.

Razoola
11-07-2016, 07:28 AM
I got a bit more incormation on vliner and Jpockey GP as I have just had a firmware update so they are better supported.

Both games look to play. You can credit up in JockGP using the coin shoot/button or use the unibios cheat. If you play vliner in MVS mode it will crash pressing the coin button/switch. This is due to the game being coded not to expect a coin via the standard NeoGeo posts. Solution is to play the game in console mode. It will then not crash. You have to use unibios to set the 1000 credit cheat and the gfx in the menu will be corrupted but you can credit up ok and then play the slot machine.

neosd
11-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone,

We have enabled bank transfer on the webshop for the ones having issues with credit card payments.

Thanks !

fille1976
11-07-2016, 12:24 PM
ok,but for me the website is blocked.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Block reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert
is blocked by the network administrator without a reason.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 12:29 PM
ok,its google chrome thats going crazy,working again.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 12:35 PM
i dont see payment options via bank transfer.

neosd
11-07-2016, 12:49 PM
i dont see payment options via bank transfer.

Hello,

Its there

https://s22.postimg.org/7ii4pfl2p/bank_transfer.png

Thanks !

neosd
11-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Also guys,

New UI gfx, we hope you like it, done by Alien^PDX

https://s15.postimg.org/toc8yl14r/new_UI.jpg

Thanks !!

fille1976
11-07-2016, 01:00 PM
i dont see it here,really,i think its google chrome problem,gona try edge,im on w10
just tryed edge on w10,same problem.
what browser you use neosd?

neosd
11-07-2016, 01:20 PM
i dont see it here,really,i think its google chrome problem,gona try edge,im on w10
just tryed edge on w10,same problem.
what browser you use neosd?

Hello,

I tried it on firefox.
Could you please take us a screenshot so we can see whats happening at your side ?

Also, can you please try to reload the website with CTR+R ?

Thanks

fille1976
11-07-2016, 01:25 PM
ok,wil try,this on latest google chrome and w10x64

http://i67.tinypic.com/2z69nk8.jpg

Rot
11-07-2016, 01:36 PM
You tried clearing your cookies...?

..Rebooting teh PC...

xROTx

PS. That's what all my nerd friends tell me:D

neosd
11-07-2016, 01:42 PM
ok,wil try,this on latest google chrome and w10x64

Hello,

We have found the issue, if you choose ship to belgium, bank transfer option wont show, we need to see why ...
Give us some time please

Thanks

fille1976
11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
yep,just cleared cookies,same result,also in edge.
gona try reboot.
reboot also doesnt do anything.
only paying via visa posible here.

neosd
11-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Hello,

Try now, the issue was at our side, by default bank transfer was enabled only for some countries.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks !

yep,just cleared cookies,same result,also in edge.
gona try reboot.
reboot also doesnt do anything.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 01:54 PM
ok,now its working,thx
neosd,can i pay the 20euro more for the case if they arrive?
payment done,hope it works on my mvs magic key,if its a no,i goes to the closet.
i saw this https://www.arcadeworks.net/omega-neo-geo-mvs-home-console
then i will buy this over time,but i have the card here.

neosd
11-07-2016, 02:05 PM
ok,now its working,thx
neosd,can i pay the 20euro more for the case if they arrive?

Every preorder is going to get a free shell, so you dont need to pay for that.
Shells will be shipped as soon as we have stock, this should be first week of December. We will let you all know when we have stock.

Thanks !

Rot
11-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Every preorder is going to get a free shell, so you dont need to pay for that.
Shells will be shipped as soon as we have stock, this should be first week of December. We will let you all know when we have stock.

Thanks !

I'll take the 20 Euro's... my paypal address is: whydontpeoplereadthethread@rotneedscash.com

kthx...

xROTx

fille1976
11-07-2016, 02:11 PM
haha,that cool,thx man.
now,i want to make the sdcard ready.
what roms to be used?
needs converting?
i readed the thread,but i forgot it.

Rot
11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
haha,that cool,thx man.
now,i want to make the sdcard ready.
what roms to be used?
needs converting?

READ THE THREAD!

Please... for the love of God... read the thread...

xROTx

Tripredacus
11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
IDk, so far the thread is nearly 30 pages of "oh boy oh boy oh boy" maybe a summary of need to know stuff can be put in the first post.

Rot
11-07-2016, 02:30 PM
IDk, so far the thread is nearly 30 pages of "oh boy oh boy oh boy" maybe a summary of need to know stuff can be put in the first post.

How about the need to know my foot is gonna kick your little weenie...

xROTx

Tripredacus
11-07-2016, 02:31 PM
How about the need to know my foot is gonna kick your little weenie...

xROTx

Not me, I'm a ninja.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 02:48 PM
i asked this because on there page is no info how to setup the sdcard or any info.
now i saw just you copy original roms to sdcard,is that in the root or in a folder ect...
it wil probably come when they release it.

Jontox
11-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Great UI improvement :)

Also guys,

Thanks !!

Rot
11-07-2016, 02:56 PM
i asked this because on there page is no info how to setup the sdcard or any info.
now i saw just you copy original roms to sdcard,is that in the root or in a folder ect...
it wil probably come when they release it.

For a start pal...

We don't give you a Instruction manual posted DIRECTLY on the forums on this type of process...

Infact... if you read the thread... some of the lads have come as close to copyright infringement as they could... without getting into trouble...

The process is out there... and if you read the thread you can determine the process...

I've been lax on this count... but make no mistake... if any of the lads OPENLY start posting rom links or anything that would make Shawn pissed off with us... I'll stamp on you...

xROTx

Kid Panda
11-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Yea, don't ask for roms. I'll be pissed, mad pissed. Go find them yourself.

GohanX
11-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Panda, you got dat Knights Chance rom bro?

fille1976
11-07-2016, 03:09 PM
first pal,im not your pal,thats clear???
second,i dont need such a response,really not from you or anybody.
i dont need ROMS,just maybe how to setup an sdcard for the flashcard,maybe someone knows more then me about that.
on everdrives you copy an os file to the sdcard.
on sd2snes its a folder,thats what i wanna know,i dont need you or anybody here for finding roms.
sjeez,if you type that in google you find them,or do you think you are a professor.
and what other guys here posts about roms,i give a shit about it.
they must known the rules,i known them,and ill wait till you come to stamp me.
its like they said on darksoft forum,some guys here are not very friendly,and you are one of them sir.

Kid Panda
11-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Panda, you got dat Knights Chance rom bro?

Yea homie, got it right over here.

http://gph.is/28U52vm

Rot
11-07-2016, 03:14 PM
first pal,im not your pal,thats clear???
second,i dont need such a response,really not from you or anybody.
i dont need ROMS,just maybe how to setup an sdcard for the flashcard,maybe someone knows more then me about that.
and what other guys here posts about roms,i give a shit about it.
they must known the rules,i known them,and ill wait till you come to stamp me.
its like they said on darksoft forum,some guys here are not very friendly,and you are one of them sir.

U'mad bro?

xROTx

PS. Hey pal.. i was trying to be nice man... I didn't even use any nasty words or anything... no need to get your knickers in a twist...

EDIT: As for Darksoft... I like that guy... he screams a lot when people go in dry...

It's almost womanlike...

GohanX
11-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Yea homie, got it right over here.

http://gph.is/28U52vm

:keke:

That is amazing.

fille1976
11-07-2016, 03:23 PM
mad!!,im old enough to stop here guy.
its not what your said,but your tone,you act like a professor or some smartass.
but ok,its what i said a moment ago, i visited their website,no info about what to copy to sdcard.
probably just the roms because your flash the firmware with a file.
and i gona buy also darksoft card,so you can shitting about that,ill have to keep you busy,not!!

Kid Panda
11-07-2016, 03:26 PM
but ok,its what i said a moment ago, i visited their website,no info about what to copy to sdcard.
and i gona buy also darksoft card,so you can shitting about that,ill have to keep you busy,not!!

Oh yea, that's going to go over well.

Jag-Master
11-07-2016, 03:30 PM
40394 40395

Rot
11-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Here's the thing file1976... some facts for you:

1. I do not mind rom talk to a certain extent... you will find a lot of that info on page 16 of this thread... (also... on the google search engine...)
2. We as a forum do NOT openly link romz... or link a DETAILED account on the main forum on how to achieve a rom set...
3. Some of the rom talk here has been very VERY close to getting some of the members in trouble...
4. I was actually being nice to you... and if you had read the forum.. or even BOTHERED to research this forum.. you would see that you would KNOW if I was hammering down on you...
5. Darksoft may tell you what he wants... YES the foum is aggressive... but in the main it is fair...

CONCLUSION: This forum was here before Darksofts... and will be here LONG after that egotistical twats forum dies...

We have our OWN rules... learn them.. and you might prosper here... and one of the main rules is... you should KNOW who you are dealing with...

At this moment... you are dealing with me...

xROTx

PS. You best read up on me before you post your next post without any punctuation...

cyd
11-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Where's my popcorn?

fille1976
11-07-2016, 03:37 PM
i come on the forum of darksoft sometimes.
to read how the development goes.
never get a reply as here,especially if i ask info on setup something,and i known that you cant ask for roms,thats on every forum that respects copyrights.
but what do people expect that i say ok,nice response thx for it,even if i missed some info on the whole thread.
then you have the wrong guy here,they may ban me,i dont care.
there are more forums then here.
and i must be scared or what,come on guy,ill pis on you.

Rot
11-07-2016, 03:41 PM
never get a reply as here,especially if i ask info on setup something,and i known that you cant ask for roms,thats on every forum that respects copyrights.
but what do people expect that i say ok,nice response thx for it,even if i missed some info on the whole thread.

I don't ban... I punish... for as long as it takes..

War Room lock... you'll find that this isn't like any other forum... I don't need to ban you... I'd rather fook you over for eternity...

xROTx

CORY
11-07-2016, 04:35 PM
That fille dude is actually a french speaking girl.

A girl who wants to piss on you Rot. You are so mean :lolz:

Rot
11-07-2016, 04:41 PM
That fille dude is actually a french speaking girl.

A girl who wants to piss on you Rot. You are so mean :lolz:

FFS... I read it as "FILE1976".... DAMMIT... no golden shower for me'z:(

xROTx

PiSS. You think... if I unlocked her/he/it/undisclosed... I could get away with a reacharound instead?

CORY
11-07-2016, 04:48 PM
FFS... I read it as "FILE1976".... DAMMIT... no golden shower for me'z:(

xROTx

PiSS. You think... if I unlocked her/he/it/undisclosed... I could get away with a reacharound instead?

Rot plz, if I knew anything about girls, I wouldn't be here :lolz:

Rot
11-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Rot plz, if I knew anything about girls, I wouldn't be here :lolz:

https://pics.onsizzle.com/das-its-a-trap-3320123.png

xROTx

PS. We'll get back on topic later... we're just all waiting on the first of the products to be delievered...

Time to relax for a while before the inevitable responses to the device when people start getting them:D

Fygee
11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

fille1976 is R. Kelly. Confirmed.

aoiddr
11-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Noticed that RetroCollect posted an article about the NeoSD:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/neo-geo-mvs-flash-cartridge-neosd-out-now-a-shipping-next-week.html

fille1976

That 1976 movie "Une Vraie Jeune Fille (A Real Young Girl)" does look like something that's worth downloading if you're into 70s Grindhouse flicks. Google Images probably shows all the best scenes, though.

hyper
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Our people are everywhere. Money i$n't as important as knowing who we can trust.

My informants have intercepted mysterious and butthurt signals from one, alias "。El marcon loco!" aka "。El pendejo furioso!"

Do u think this is [about] a motherfucking game?? (it is)

Monoplay796
11-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Also guys,

Looks great! :buttrock:

greedostick
11-07-2016, 10:38 PM

Just relax....

We as a forum, not just Rot, look out for the forum, because we do not want it shut down. We are much more of a tight knit community than most other video game forums, and are by leaps and bounds the best place to get help with neo geo related questions, and technical support.

All we ask is that people contribute, by posting in the forums, and doing a little bit of research before posting.

Examples:

1. Don't ask questions that have been asked a thousand times before. Do a forum search.

2. Don't ask questions about something in a thread unless you have read the thread.

3. Don't ask for technical help unless you have done a forum search.

All you have to do is follow the rules, post in discussions, and not come off as someone who just joined the forums because you want something from them.

These forums are not as bad as you think, but when you come in not following the rules, especially ones that border getting the website shut down, the moderator (Rot), will let you know.

Don't take it personal, he yells at everyone, but he means well. He's looking out for the entire of the community, pretty much solo, and doesn't have time to take everyone under his wing to explain how the forum works. That's your responsibility.

So please relax, be happy NeoSD developed such a kick ass device, and go play some Neo Geo, or contribute to some forum discussion before getting upset. You will find there is a lot offered here, that you can not obtain in other forums.

The last thing we need is NeoSD leaving because this forum turned into a rage fest.

nornor1
11-07-2016, 10:49 PM

Gross.

Reclaimer
11-08-2016, 01:19 AM
Fuck it, I'm in.

Thanks for the 28 pages of posts to read through and slowly convert me into an adopter! :p

Hopefully all the shipping goes smoothly for everyone overseas.

Rot
11-08-2016, 02:44 AM
You know what lads...

I was sleeping on it... and I feel that fille1976 should have another chance...

I'm gonna let him out... the message has been sent about certain aspects of romz "presentation" on the forums...

xROTx

PS. For the love of God don't do anything that would get me into trouble with Shawn... (for not suppressing the open copyright infringement SOME of you guys have been VERY close too)...

This year Shawn has slapped my ass cheeks enough to leave a perma mark there..

Razoola
11-08-2016, 03:07 AM
@fille1976

If you read through the thread you will have seen the answers to your questions already. There is alot of really good information here that neosd has already given, also the review parts I have done about the sdcard conversion process etc.

I get it that in other forums its sometimes the case that topics get filled with dribble one just does not feel the need to read though to get information. Neosd has been really forth coming with information compared to others however. So if you look through this thread again, read all posts from neosd and posts from myself. You will get the answers you are looking for.

Its not good to go insulting mods though. I get how rot can come across sometimes but if you would have read through the thread first you will have seen you were not going to get away with some things that maybe would be looked over in other threads. Rot looks to have lifted your temp ban (see he is a good guy) so if your going to post again please think about what your posting before you post it. If its a good question that needs answering I'm sure neosd will oblige you. He has been this forthcoming with other people so there is no reason he would not show the same for you.

greatfunky
11-08-2016, 03:36 AM
I'm sure now : all those tensions are due to the big unanswered question about neosd : will it work or not with those cursed mvs converters ??? ...we'll know soon hopefully :eek_2:

aku
11-08-2016, 04:00 AM
Also guys,

Thanks !!

we like it!^^

I'm sure now : all those tensions are due to the big unanswered question about neosd : will it work or not with those cursed mvs converters ??? ...we'll know soon hopefully :eek_2:

sd ships around 15.11, a lot of ppl own a converter (magickey, daedalus etc.) so...

if not - you can always get a mvs^^

daithidownunder
11-08-2016, 04:06 AM
This is a big improvement NeoSD, looks good. ;)

Also guys,

Thanks !!

CORY
11-08-2016, 06:54 AM
You know what lads...

I was sleeping on it... and I feel that fille1976 should have another chance...

I'm gonna let him out... the message has been sent about certain aspects of romz "presentation" on the forums...

xROTx

Rot plz, tell the truth. We all know you want that golden shower she promised you :keke:

Rot
11-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Rot plz, tell the truth. We all know you want that golden shower she promised you :keke:

WELL... she/he is from Europe... it's a big thing to be offered teh "yellow stain of pleasure..."

../me awaits:D

xROTx

Gyrian
11-08-2016, 07:01 AM
Man, all this activity before it's even out. This product is the best kind of hype.
Fantastic work, NeoSD! I do hope you will consider loading monkey during the flashing cycle in a future update, haha.

http://imgur.com/LLfdIxG.gif

EDIT: maybe the sensible thing here would be to let users supply their own small animation, that way you don't include this directly and open a new door for people to get creative...

neosd
11-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Man, all this activity before it's even out. This product is the best kind of hype.
Fantastic work, NeoSD! I do hope you will consider loading monkey during the flashing cycle in a future update, haha.

I dont know if we would be able to code such monkey, it seems so dark to be coded.

Thanks !

Rot
11-08-2016, 07:07 AM
I dont know if we would be able to code such monkey, it seems so dark to be coded.

Thanks !

How about just a pixelated picture of me?

xROTx

PS... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/rotphungte/DSCF3670_zps9114cb45.jpg

This is where it's AT!!!!!

dragonpt
11-08-2016, 07:51 AM
OMG

I've been away for some time...
... Just got back and to find this???

Super excited, without a doubt one of the biggest developments for the Neo ever !

And just in time for Xmas... Now the hard part ... Trying to convince my wife haha

At the team that made this possible: You guys are super !
The best thing I bought on this last years for my megadrive was the ever drive... And now for the neo this is a must have...

Thanks for all the reviews... Raz your the best, thank you so much for such a detailed review(s)

Cheers

This is so porn to me haha

Nostromo
11-08-2016, 08:20 AM
OMG

I've been away for some time...
... Just got back and to find this???

Super excited, without a doubt one of the biggest developments for the Neo ever !

Ah phew. For a moment I thought you were talking about Rot's selfie.

lions3
11-08-2016, 08:43 AM

Hehe... a loading monkey would be awesome. Wonder how hard it is to animate one from a sprite sheet in the NEOSD UI.

dragonpt
11-08-2016, 08:44 AM
Ah phew. For a moment I thought you were talking about Rot's selfie.

His looking good...

Haha

Gyrian
11-08-2016, 08:52 AM

Thanks !

Please don't use this particular monkey, it was just a quick online search for a visual...

If you would consider doing it, I would prep pixel perfect versions of all the options.
Hell, maybe even a Rot sprite should be arranged.

Hehe... a loading monkey would be awesome. Wonder how hard it is to animate one from a sprite sheet in the NEOSD UI.

I can't imagine having a simple looping animated element would be too hard to implement. The extra complexity might be if they got ambitious and actually prepped proper GIF support to keep it open & customizable. Even that might not be far fetched for this team, who is consistently showing that they are willing to go above and beyond to deliver accuracy and quality.

Shakepants
11-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Perhaps it's been dealt with already, but it may be a neat idea to have ROM write times after each game in the menu.

cyd
11-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Ohhh... A monkey juggling a ROT ;p

dragonpt
11-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I'd love to see that monkey ...

Haha
...or a rot bitmap ...

Nostromo
11-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Perhaps it's been dealt with already, but it may be a neat idea to have ROM write times after each game in the menu.

Not a bad idea but considering that each SD Card will give a different writing time I would have a rating from * to *****. The more stars, the more time it takes to load. So translated roughly it would be between 1 and 5 minutes.

DaytimeDreamer
11-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Not a bad idea but considering that each SD Card will give a different writing time I would have a rating from * to *****. The more stars, the more time it takes to load. So translated roughly it would be between 1 and 5 minutes.

IMO this is clearly not needed. Since like stated it varies a lot depending on the SD why bother?

On the other hand, nice improvements on the new menu.

Nostromo
11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Because in the case of stars the speed would be relative anyway :)

manic23
11-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Ordered mine today, what an awesome looking product.

DaytimeDreamer
11-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Because in the case of stars the speed would be relative anyway :)

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Not a bad idea but at this point I consider this a luxury until the menu fully matures.

Neosd, could you update the way the meny looks and operates via future firmware updates? Is this a possibility?

neosd
11-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Ah yes, I see what you mean. Not a bad idea but at this point I consider this a luxury until the menu fully matures.

Neosd, could you update the way the meny looks and operates via future firmware updates? Is this a possibility?

Hello,

Yes, every part of the software can be updated from SD card.

Thanks !

Tripredacus
11-08-2016, 02:56 PM

I love forums! What are some?

GohanX
11-08-2016, 03:18 PM
I love forums! What are some?

www.sega-16.com/forum

Tripredacus
11-08-2016, 03:33 PM
www.sega-16.com/forum

I'm already on that one. :\

AMike
11-08-2016, 04:34 PM
neosd has fixed my payment issues - now it's also possible to send the money by banktransfer - which I've already made. :) Many thanks - looking forward to hold this masterpiece of hardware in my hands. I can the test the neosd also with a MVS Convertor.

tighecg
11-09-2016, 02:03 AM
After a little fight with the bank, and my card company, I got mine ordered! Thanks neosd and Raz!

neosd
11-09-2016, 03:44 AM
After a little fight with the bank, and my card company, I got mine ordered! Thanks neosd and Raz!

Thanks for the order,

First payments done by bank transfer are starting to arrive. As those arrive, we change the status of the payment to processed on the webshop and customers should get an email from the store telling the payment has been acepted. Its also possible to check the status of the order loging into the webshop.

Take in mind that some bank transfers take more time to arrive than others. Bank transfer takes about 2-3 days to arrive, so if you dont get the email from the webshop 3 days after the payment has been sent, just send me a private message or an email to webshop contact email and we will check it again.

Big thanks to everyone for supporting our company/project !!

MattBlah
11-09-2016, 05:14 AM
I think you've stated that the shells will follow in December. Until that time is it perfectly safe to use without a shell, or would you recommend modifying a shell for use?

GadgetUK
11-09-2016, 05:25 AM
Personally, I would buy yourself an ESD wrist strap (cost like $2). Handle the cart using the ESD wrist strap, fit it into your MVS and leave it there until the shell arrives. If you need to remove it, use the ESD wrist strap. I don't generally take ESD safety very seriously, but the cost is the reason here for me - do you really want to be sending it all the way back for repair? That said, it's probably low risk - there are tonnes of Everdrives which are not cased and handled by people regularly and those are all still working (mostly). There's just a chance of ESD damage if you manage to feed some static into one of the chips.

tcdev
11-09-2016, 05:55 AM
That said, it's probably low risk - there are tonnes of Everdrives which are not cased and handled by people regularly and those are all still working (mostly). There's just a chance of ESD damage if you manage to feed some static into one of the chips.
Firstly, damage due to ESD tends to be cumulative, which means even if you haven't killed it yet, there's a chance you've done some damage and that you're a few steps closer to doing so. Secondly, susceptibility to ESD is wholly dependent on the design of the circuit (obviously including but certainly not limited to explicit ESD protection measures) and the components (and technologies) involved. In a sense, you're comparing apples and oranges when you mention Everdrives.

neosd
11-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Hello,

We have protected every exposed contact against ESD.
Also, buffers that connect NEOSD to MVS cartridge port have ESD protection, but as every electronic board, NEOSD pcbs need to be handled with care.
Better discharge yourself before manipulating it and handle it touching only the borders.

Thanks !

GadgetUK
11-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Firstly, damage due to ESD tends to be cumulative, which means even if you haven't killed it yet, there's a chance you've done some damage and that you're a few steps closer to doing so. Secondly, susceptibility to ESD is wholly dependent on the design of the circuit (obviously including but certainly not limited to explicit ESD protection measures) and the components (and technologies) involved. In a sense, you're comparing apples and oranges when you mention Everdrives.

I agree with everything you said there, except for the apples and oranges part :P

Both implementations use very similar components - FPGA / CPLD, MCU, flash. So they aren't apples and oranges at all. Yes ESD is wholly dependent on the design of the circuit but its still good practice to avoid taking risks where you can. On the subject of ESD it feels like I cannot win the argument on either side of the fence lol. On one hand I get people suggesting that ESD protection is so very very important, and then on the other side I get people saying that modern devices just aren't susceptible to it and why the hell would a person need to wear an ESD wrist strap. I watched a video where someone was handling a $5000 CPU without ESD protection and sure maybe there's a lot less risk due to the way it was designed, but would you take the risk if you were handling it? It's a similar story with this, who wants to pay 400 euros and find it doesnt work. I've bought OTP EPROM chips which were faulty on delivery and had the seller claim that I didnt take ESD protection, so personally I wouldnt take the chance with this. By your own comment there you said its cumulative, so why risk starting that cumulative process (even if it continues to work after the first handling without ESD protection)?

EDIT: If you meant apples an oranges as in my conclussion that the everdrives are OK after having been handled without protection - you're right there, I guess that could be classed as apples and oranges - ie. my inconsistant view expressed above.
Yes, chances are some of those PC Engine / Turbo Everdrive exposed everdrive PCB have suffered damage already. I perhaps didn't make my point very clear, sorry! Bottom line is its all about risk, and trying to keep the cart living as long as possible, that's all.

TMOSteel
11-10-2016, 09:07 AM
If anybody's not clear on SD card labelling, specifically the breakdown of speed, class etc. (and I wasn't) this site breaks it down pretty clear:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/best-microsd-card-best-microsd-cards-2016-2017-uk-3640745/

It gives reviews on specific cards (which you can ignore or not) but its the breakdown at the very beginning thats helpful. It also talks about Samsung's UFS (Universal Flash Storage) which is supposed to be the successor to microSD, with five times the speed of microSD, with sequential read speeds up to 530 megabytes per second.

Maybe support down the road on the NEOSD flash cart with a board revision?

neosd
11-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Hello,

There is not going to be a board revision. The only way we could do a board revision would be a hardware issue we could not address with a software update.

Honestly, this is hard to happen.

Thanks

If anybody's not clear on SD card labelling, specifically the breakdown of speed, class etc. (and I wasn't) this site breaks it down pretty clear:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/storage/best-microsd-card-best-microsd-cards-2016-2017-uk-3640745/

It gives reviews on specific cards (which you can ignore or not) but its the breakdown at the very beginning thats helpful. It also talks about Samsung's UFS (Universal Flash Storage) which is supposed to be the successor to microSD, with five times the speed of microSD, with sequential read speeds up to 530 megabytes per second.

greatfunky
11-10-2016, 09:42 AM

I have ordered a transcend TS16GUSDHC10U1 that has good result in reading speed , but i suppose at some point sd card speed hits the wall of writing/erasing flash speed and the process will not be be faster .

dkarDaGobert
11-10-2016, 10:14 AM
just ordered mine. thanks for the review Raz!

Mikekim
11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
my SD card arrived today....

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/Bn5PUB.jpg

Nostromo
11-10-2016, 02:09 PM
To be honest I wouldn't purchase expensive cards if it is just going to shave off a couple of seconds loading time.

Rot
11-10-2016, 02:21 PM
To be honest I wouldn't purchase expensive cards if it is just going to shave off a couple of seconds loading time.

This is NG.com...

Spending a few extra bucks on a SD card is like Masturbation... It's normal behaviour... Everyone here does it... and there's plenty more to cum...

xROTx

greedostick
11-10-2016, 04:19 PM

I'm confused what exactly your statement is trying to say.

I dont understand why people are so hung up on the loading times?

At least the games play true to the originals. Load tines are a small price to pay for what this card is doing.

Anyone who doesnt want to buy this card solely because of the load times is either mental or rich enough to afford dropping $1200 on Mark of the Wolves to save 4 minutes.

The amount of time it takes a game to get shipped to you is longer than all the 4min loading times combined for your entire life.

If anyone is hung up on loading times, then your first priority is not where it should be in this hobby. With that I mean accurately enjoying games the way they were meant to be played. Its the typical collector mentality of "I got to have em all right now!".

If you are more concerned with speed, opposed to accuracy you might as well go play MAME.

Whats the point of playing inaccurate games on a home or mvs when you can get the same shit for free on MAME? Whats the point in owning real hardware and selling yourself short when affordable, accurate options now exist?

WNivek
11-10-2016, 04:47 PM
I'm confused what exactly your statement is trying to say.
I believe he was talking about not paying extra for a faster SD card if it's not going to improve performance of the NeoSD all that much.

aha2940
11-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Anyone who doesnt want to buy this card solely because of the load times is either mental or rich enough to afford dropping $1200 on Mark of the Wolves to save 4 minutes.

MOTW is a $140 game on MVS. Since this cart is MVS only, the $1200 figure is wrong. SSVS on the other hand...

CORY
11-10-2016, 05:34 PM
MOTW is a $140 game on MVS. Since this cart is MVS only, the $1200 figure is wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/mmxQ1IJ.gif

TMOSteel
11-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Hello,

There is not going to be a board revision. The only way we could do a board revision would be a hardware issue we could not address with a software update.

Honestly, this is hard to happen.

Thanks

Understood; thanks.

TMOSteel
11-10-2016, 09:38 PM
This is NG.com...

Spending a few extra bucks on a SD card is like Masturbation... It's normal behaviour... Everyone here does it... and there's plenty more to cum...

xROTx

What Rot said...:)

Nostromo
11-10-2016, 11:53 PM
I believe he was talking about not paying extra for a faster SD card if it's not going to improve performance of the NeoSD all that much.

Exactly :)

Mikekim
11-11-2016, 01:43 AM

I've done my time with waiting up to 15 mins for games to load on the Commodore 64, back in the 80's.
So if wanting to reduce the flashing time of the device when you change games (even if it would only be 20-30 seconds on a large game) by spending an extra 10 on the cost of a faster SD card is not an issue for you then its your prerogative.

Nostromo
11-11-2016, 02:49 AM
Same here - many fond memories with the C64 :D