can someone who has a sanwa 29PF31 chime in?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I'm considering grabbing a sanwa 29PF31 to replace the weiya 29 in my AWSD cab. Can anyone who owns one of these monitors comment on there reliability? I'm just really tired of my AWSD being useless due to it's dead and/or unreliable at best monitor.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
these supposedly came stock in tekken 5 cabs and some candies. anyone?

Bagheera369

New Challenger
I can chime in. I have one, sitting in my Tekken 5 cab now, and have dealt with several in Ghost Squad cabs.
1st, they are VGA only, so if you are looking for tri-sync capabilities, you're in the wrong place.
2nd, they are known for having mediocre tubes, and some common geometry issues. My tekken cab has a small bump almost like a pincusion issue, but not, along the bottom edge. Capped it, adjusted it, wont come out. It's not major, and is totally playable, and my tube is fortunately in very good shape. The Ghost Squad's I've worked with tend to lose color brightness, and its the tube...not the chassis. Saw one of my co-workers have to Zap a tube 6 times to get the colors to come back fully...which I don't recommend, but it was that or toss the tube, and that wasnt gonna happen.
3rd, I believe there is a weiya or rodotron chassis that can give them tri-sync abilities, but you'd have to get a reply from like giz10p, or videotronics, cause i've never had the ability to come across one.
4th, as long as the tube isnt burnt, and the colors are bright, it's a solid monitor with the true flat tube the AWSD needs to fit it's bezel, and they can look quite nice. The chassis are well spaced, and are way easier than Wei-ya's to cap and work on.

My original trisync died when I accidently broke the neck on it...so I've been running a weiya 2929d in my cab for a good while...there are lots of easy ways to go with vga (raspi/pandora/x360/mame/etc), so the cab is still perfectly useable without trisync. If I ever lost the monitor though, I'd pull my es31 and drop it into my AWSD in a heartbeat.

If you do drop it in though, when you pull the original monitor....see if you cant get the chassis off to giz or someone, as the weiya's ARE repairable, and as long as your tube isnt toast, you should be able to get your trisync weiya up and running again, for a reasonable fee.

Best of luck, hope this helps....if you need more, PM me...I will help any way I can.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
thank you for the response dude, i will come up with a PM for you later today with a few pictures, one of the NOS weiya chassis i bought a year ago came with annoying issues that i have had no luck figuring out where to pinpoint the issue (if i remember correctly the problem is known as horizontal non-linearity.) thanks again for sharing your experience with these monitors!

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
thank you for the response dude, i will come up with a PM for you later today with a few pictures, one of the NOS weiya chassis i bought a year ago came with annoying issues that i have had no luck figuring out where to pinpoint the issue (if i remember correctly the problem is known as horizontal non-linearity.) thanks again for sharing your experience with these monitors!

Nothing can be worse than those Wei-Ya 3129D chassis. So your best bet is to grab this monitor now... even if it's VGA only. Sanwa makes a tri-sync chassis in the Sanwa PFX. Here is what the chassis looks like. I don't know if it will work with the VGA only tube or not since though.

http://www.arcade4home.com/arcade/Sanwa-PFX.jpg

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Nothing can be worse than those Wei-Ya 3129D chassis. So your best bet is to grab this monitor now... even if it's VGA only. Sanwa makes a tri-sync chassis in the Sanwa PFX. Here is what the chassis looks like. I don't know if it will work with the VGA only tube or not since though.

http://www.arcade4home.com/arcade/Sanwa-PFX.jpg

I still have yet to pull out my Tekken 5 cabinet and play with it.. Chances are it has the 29PF31 as well :/

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Mind if I pick some brains here? I have a 29E31 which seems to be very similar to the 29PF31 if not the same. I think I'm in need of a tube swap, I have to crank screen voltage very high to see anything and colors look bad. I'm wondering if there's a known tube that can swap in, and better yet, if there's a tube with a compatible yoke so I wouldn't need to swap that.

If I'm intruding here then my apologies :)