PSP bullshit

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i have a psp i want to emulate stuff on. okay. so the home screen works fine, firmware loads fine, i can play a Darkstalkers on UMD without any issues, but no matter what homebrew emulator I open, the menu rapidly scrolls automatically. i noticed that if I push down on the lower outer part of the D-pad side of the handheld, it stops, and becomes controllable. so i guess some shit is loose. i looked closer and the top panel seems to be coming off, and pushing it all the way back down stops the scrolling issue. problem is it doesn't stay that way.

i'm a dumb bimbo and i dont know anything. but i'll try to follow directions carefully if you try to help me. let me know if you want pics

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
What model PSP is it? If it's a PSP-1001, are you missing the screw at the bottom of the top panel?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
What model is it? 1000 is fat, 2000 and 3000 are skinny.
Did you check that all the screws were secured? There's two in the back on each side (some are under the battery), two on top flanking the USB port, and one on the bottom. The plastic tabs on those can break sometimes, so a new shell might be needed.

If you need parts for a 2000, I might be able to help. I recently disassembled one to try and consolize it, so I have several parts in a box.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
No the real cause of the ghosting is a continuity issue between the analog stick and the main pcb. It is a hardware not software issue

The analog stick is connected to the main pcb by a flimsy conductive rubber contact that misaligns and wears out. If the faceplate is not firmly secured and is loose the analog stick WILL ghost.

You need secure the faceplate tightly and while you have it open replace the rubber contact and screw the faceplate back on tight
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5BD7Q6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10F2LH4RYXQAG

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
No the real cause of the ghosting is a continuity issue between the analog stick and the main pcb. It is a hardware not software issue

The analog stick is connected to the main pcb by a flimsy conductive rubber contact that misaligns and wears out. If the faceplate is not firmly secured and is loose the analog stick WILL ghost.

You need secure the faceplate tightly and while you have it open replace the rubber contact and screw the faceplate back on tight
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5BD7Q6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10F2LH4RYXQAG

The 1000 and 2000 use totally different rubber connectors, and the 3000 uses a flat-flex ribbon. Make sure you get what you need.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i guess this ghost person is my problem after all!!!!!! i'll have to look at this thing closer when i have more time. and make necessary fixes. if i can. *cries*

ummmm yeah i mean the thing is broken. i'm guessing this happened whenever this huge gash/crack happened on the right side of the handheld. probably knocked it all around like an S/M show. WOW

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
its fucked up actually i wiped my whole firmware'd system that i put together all by myself in like 2008 - 2009(?) using my own self-made pandora battery (a hardmod done by little sylvie!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and everything cuz i assumed it was a software issue, since it doesn't occur anywhere but homebrew.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
You don't need the pandora batteries anymore.
The public/private security keys of the PSP were leaked a long time ago, so you can run signed homebrew on official firmware. This includes CFW installers.

I'd recommend buying a new 2000 or 3000. Get a PSPGo if you don't want to use UMDs. You can find them on fleabay for under $50, easy.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
The public/private security keys of the PSP were leaked a long time ago, so you can run signed homebrew on official firmware. This includes CFW installers.

I'd recommend buying a new 2000 or 3000. Get a PSPGo if you don't want to use UMDs. You can find them on fleabay for under $50, easy.

i know, i already re-hacked it and everything i just once tried to fix this before a few years ago by wiping it is what i mean

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

I got a Pspgo sitting around, i bought it and the sotn umd not really connecting the dots on an auction that they can't be used together. Luckily I still had a psp phat, but running some emulators on the go would give me a use for it. I hacked a phat way back in the day using a game, do you by chance know the latest greatest way I can do that to the go? I can blindly google but sounds like you must have done a go already so some advice would be appreciated.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I got a Pspgo sitting around, i bought it and the sotn umd not really connecting the dots on an auction that they can't be used together. Luckily I still had a psp phat, but running some emulators on the go would give me a use for it. I hacked a phat way back in the day using a game, do you by chance know the latest greatest way I can do that to the go? I can blindly google but sounds like you must have done a go already so some advice would be appreciated.

Nowadays you can run homebrew on a psp go by simply placing the lastest light cfw files on your pspgo (via memory card or system memory is fine) and running the cfw installer. Once set you'll simply run a cfw launcher file whenever you want to play homebrew (the pspgo will reboot and then you're free to play emulators etc).

The pspgo is really nice once docked on its charging station and hooked up to a tv to play emulators afar via ps3 controller. Like a mini console you can bring with you anytime you want to head out the door.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Wololo is the go-to website for all things CFW/Sony Handhelds
Here's their page for PSP CFW, just click your model name and follow the instructions.
http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

Basic rundown is:
1) Update PSP GO to 6.60 Official firmware (the latest)
2) Download files and put them on the GO.
3) Run the installer
4) Follow the on-screen prompts
5) You're done. If you turn off your PSP, you need to start the Quick Recovery program on the PSP to re-enable CFW mode which takes like 5 seconds.

Westcb

Wololo is the go-to website for all things CFW/Sony Handhelds
Here's their page for PSP CFW, just click your model name and follow the instructions.
http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

Basic rundown is:
1) Update PSP GO to 6.60 Official firmware (the latest)
2) Download files and put them on the GO.
3) Run the installer
4) Follow the on-screen prompts
5) You're done. If you turn off your PSP, you need to start the Quick Recovery program on the PSP to re-enable CFW mode which takes like 5 seconds.

I'm sure you just saved me a couple hours of reading, thanks so much for the easy step by step instructions. I'll take a crack at it this weekend.

Westcb

Wow that was stupid easy, plays PlayStation games great so far and the capcom collections are great. This was way simpler then a decade ago :-)
63fda157072c8d067ad4337c835984ba.jpg

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Good job!
Now put Neo Geo MVS and CPS1/CPS2 emulators and romsets on it.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Wow that was stupid easy, plays PlayStation games great so far and the capcom collections are great. This was way simpler then a decade ago :-)
63fda157072c8d067ad4337c835984ba.jpg

I didn't remember the PSPGo being that sexy. Now I really want one even if I have a working one (first fat model). Looks like they go for no less than 50€ + shipping.
Might put an ebay alert on it and wait.

Last edited: