PSU causing video interference?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
im back :lolz:

I have a WINIT 15A Arcade Switching Power Supply. I got it off amazon. The first one I got came super bent and the actual pcb looked like it flexed and I returned it. I got another one this time coming slightly less damaged then the first and gave it a shot. It seems to produce moving diagonal lines. http://imgur.com/a/oQWfn. You can kinda see it in the pic if you look closely.

Anyway, I have another power supply thats meant to power a harddrive externally but it doesnt have enough amps. Its 5v 12v 2a and it seems to be a little light on the voltage. My mvs usually gets about 4.85v when I use it. The hdd power supply doesnt cause any video interference though. So i'm pretty sure the winit is at fault or the power cord im using maybe? I guess I could try another cord...

Any one have a suggestion on what power supply i should buy and where? Cause I really dont feel like getting a 3rd winnit of amazon that's all dented up.

Jarryson

New Challenger
I dont know how many slots has your mvs, and I am not expert, but I have a lot of Mvs (most of them not working xD) and I use always 5V 3A and work fine, with multicarts too.

When I use leds in my consolized mvs I use Hdd power supply 12+5 2A and work fine too, but maybe the best are more Amp.

I read one time the best is use a 5V 8A power supply if you have 4 or more slots, for 1 slot with 4A is enough.

I have to say too, that when I test mvs boads I use supergun + PC power supply (12A) and I havent video interferences..

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
could be a ground loop. try running a jumper wire between ground and frame ground on the PSU (and be careful with those exposed screws/leads).

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
could be a ground loop. try running a jumper wire between ground and frame ground on the PSU (and be careful with those exposed screws/leads).

I'm not sure I follow. I'm pretty novice with this stuff. Could you break it down barney style for me? Do you mean running a wire like this? http://imgur.com/a/oQIOk I have the power cord connected to FG so would I just leave the green cable unplugged when jumping the ground? Also I dunno if this is worth noting or not but my molex connector only has 1 ground wire connected. is that an issue http://imgur.com/a/6Xt9r?

I dont know how many slots has your mvs, and I am not expert, but I have a lot of Mvs (most of them not working xD) and I use always 5V 3A and work fine, with multicarts too.

When I use leds in my consolized mvs I use Hdd power supply 12+5 2A and work fine too, but maybe the best are more Amp.

I read one time the best is use a 5V 8A power supply if you have 4 or more slots, for 1 slot with 4A is enough.

I have to say too, that when I test mvs boads I use supergun + PC power supply (12A) and I havent video interferences..

oh i probably should of mentioned that its a 1 slot. I use a supergun from arcadeforge. ive also tried using my PCs power supply and i get interference with that as well. for whatever reason the HDD powersupply that's 2A is the only thing that doesnt produce the interference so far.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Do you mean running a wire like this? http://imgur.com/a/oQIOk I have the power cord connected to FG so would I just leave the green cable unplugged when jumping the ground? Also I dunno if this is worth noting or not but my molex connector only has 1 ground wire connected. is that an issue http://imgur.com/a/6Xt9r?
Put a wire between the FG and the GND screws, while keeping both the green wire from the power cord and the ground wire to the supergun connected.

There should be only one ground wire on the molex connector, that is right. If you want, you can put a wire between the two GND screws as well, but they should be connected internally anyhow...

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Put a wire between the FG and the GND screws, while keeping both the green wire from the power cord and the ground wire to the supergun connected.

There should be only one ground wire on the molex connector, that is right. If you want, you can put a wire between the two GND screws as well, but they should be connected internally anyhow...

ok so that seems to have fixed the issue. So what does this mean exactly? the psu is damaged or...?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Common issue with arcade PSUs. If it works with the jumper wire you're fine.

Also you should be able to adjust 5v so it reads right at the JAMMA edge.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Common issue with arcade PSUs. If it works with the jumper wire you're fine.

Also you should be able to adjust 5v so it reads right at the JAMMA edge.

Ive just been doing it so the supergun reads 5.1v. If you use a multimeter on the jamma edge is it cool to just use a mutlimeter right on the jamma contacts or are you supposed to do it another way? Sorry for the noobie question.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I just put my probes right on the JAMMA pins. No worries there.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Ive just been doing it so the supergun reads 5.1v. If you use a multimeter on the jamma edge is it cool to just use a mutlimeter right on the jamma contacts or are you supposed to do it another way? Sorry for the noobie question.

It goes without saying don't bridge any pins by half hazardly holding the probes and letting them slip of course, but testing at Jamma edge is a good idea unless you just feel inclined to test on some IC's on the board which may be more accurate but seems like more opportunity to muck it up :-/

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I just put my probes right on the JAMMA pins. No worries there.

It goes without saying don't bridge any pins by half hazardly holding the probes and letting them slip of course, but testing at Jamma edge is a good idea unless you just feel inclined to test on some IC's on the board which may be more accurate but seems like more opportunity to muck it up :-/

alright cool. thanks for the help every one.