Is my CMVS faulty... or not?

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
One year ago I bought a wonderful consolized MV-2. Enjoyed it briefly on a Sony PVM with great image quality (SCART RGB) and great sound (Stereo through SCART) ...a dream come true.
Then some Real Life Events (TM) forced me put aside everything for some time. I sold the PVM and part of my retro collection, but I managed to kept all Neo-geo stuff.

Yesterday I finally resumed the CMVS, connecting it via SCART RGB cable (it has all pins) to my CRT TV DAEWOO 14CB2T DE, and I get the following problem: picture has a slightly greenish / yellowish tint on AV1 or AV1-S. When picture in fading from or to black, for a few seconds seems to settle down but in full brightness I still get this greenish / yellowish tint. Audio also has a strong "buzz".

Despite knowing practically nothing about electronics, I opened the MVS to check for leaked or loosening stuff but everything seemed okay to me.
I tried a different SCART cable, same problem. I connected my PS2 JP via SCART RGB to TV and I colors (especially white and blue) looks properly.

The strange thing is that if I set the TV to "AV-2" (usually is the source for the composite input) I can see a picture with correct colors, but I have no sound through SCART, and sometimes vsync is loosening.

Is my CMVS faulty, or it could be a problem of "pairing" cmvs - cable - TV?

Thanks so much

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I have only had experience with one Daewoo tv and on that one, it was AV2 that handled RGB input - the on screen display should actually show this as something like 'AV2/RGB'.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Thank you for your feedback.

I'm pretty sure that on my Daewoo the RGB signal is handled by AV-1, while AV-2 displays picture from composite (yellow and white RCA connectors on side) input.
But with my CMVS I get the following:

- AV-1, AV-1 S: picture (greenish / yellowish) + audio (with buzz), it fixes for few seconds during fading from or to black
- AV-2: picture (perfect colors) + NO audio

Really I can't understand...

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

I'm pretty sure that on my Daewoo the RGB signal is handled by AV-1, while AV-2 displays picture from composite (yellow and white RCA connectors on side) input.
But with my CMVS I get the following:

- AV-1, AV-1 S: picture (greenish / yellowish) + audio (with buzz), it fixes for few seconds during fading from or to black
- AV-2: picture (perfect colors) + NO audio

Really I can't understand...

If you have another console with the scart rgb cable properly wired ot shouldn't be difficult to determine which is the correct av input - when you switch it on it will select it automatically. Then make sure you use the same input for the cmvs.

This is difficult to diagnose since we know nothing about how you are outputing the picture / sound out of the cmvs, and how that connector is wired especially with relation to pin 16 (you should have 3v or higher for rgb mode).

If this is not connected then on some tvs you can cycle the input selection to get to rgb mode, but on others there is no possibility for the user to select this mode manually unless the correct blanking voltage is recieved by the tv.

You can also test with a different tv.

Last edited:

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
When I turn on CMVS or PS2 via SCART RGB, TV automatically switches to AV-1.
So I suppose pin 16 is wired.

Unfortunately I haven't another CRT TV to test...

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Put the volume sliders in the middle.

Tested with both volume sliders in the middle: no changes, unfortunately. :(
Could be a "cable - crappy TV" pairing problem?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Could be crappy shielding in the scart cable, try running the headphone output out separately to headphones or a receiver or something to see if the sound is clean.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Thank you, nevertheless my primary issue is not sound but a greenish / yellowish tint when I'm on AV-1 RGB. When picture is fading from or to black (e.g. during attract mode in Art of Fighting) for a few seconds seems to settle down but in full "brightness" I still get this problem of wrong colors / tint.

Thanks

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hmmm....

That tv can't take a component signal over SCART can it? My PVM shares a connection for RGB and component and you select which colorspace you're using in the menu, it does something similar if you connect a RGB source while it's set for Component. I've never heard of a consumer SD set that would do that, but I don't have any experience with PAL TVs either.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Hmmm....

That tv can't take a component signal over SCART can it? My PVM shares a connection for RGB and component and you select which colorspace you're using in the menu, it does something similar if you connect a RGB source while it's set for Component. I've never heard of a consumer SD set that would do that, but I don't have any experience with PAL TVs either.

I think we are "approaching" to the real problem, but I can't understand technically what's the matter.
It's strange that I get a yellowish picture on AV-1 and a perfect picture on AV-2 (but without sound through SCART) so I suspect it is something about RGB handling of CMVS - cable - TV but I can't understand how to bypass it...

This is the SCART pinout of my CMVS.

28145138414_a87f3aff1f_o.jpg

Unfortunately I cant' find the one of my DAEWOO DE 14CB2T...

Thanks

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I think we are "approaching" to the real problem, but I can't understand technically what's the matter.
It's strange that I get a yellowish picture on AV-1 and a perfect picture on AV-2 (but without sound through SCART) so I suspect it is something about RGB handling of CMVS - cable - TV but I can't understand how to bypass it...

This is the SCART pinout of my CMVS.

28145138414_a87f3aff1f_o.jpg

Unfortunately I cant' find the one of my DAEWOO DE 14CB2T...

Thanks

If you are getting a perfect picture on AV2 then it seems that there is no problem here as such - just use that input.
I did a test yesterday and hookend up my RGB modded SuperGrafx to the non RGB scart socket on a consumer Sony Trinitron TV - the result was a purple hued picture, so this would suggest you are trying to get a rgb image from an input that is not capable of accepting this signal.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
If you are getting a perfect picture on AV2 then it seems that there is no problem here as such - just use that input.
I did a test yesterday and hookend up my RGB modded SuperGrafx to the non RGB scart socket on a consumer Sony Trinitron TV - the result was a purple hued picture, so this would suggest you are trying to get a rgb image from an input that is not capable of accepting this signal.

Do you mean that TV can't handle RGB, or that CMVS does not output in RGB?
The only problem is that I get no sound on AV-2 through SCART, so I need an external speaker connected to headphones output... :\

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's possible the volume sliders are dried out. Apply some fader lube to them and see if that brings back the sound. Don't use anything other than fader lube.

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
It's possible the volume sliders are dried out. Apply some fader lube to them and see if that brings back the sound. Don't use anything other than fader lube.

Thank you Xian, but on AV-1 I get audio (with buzz) but greenish picture, on AV-2 I get a perfect picture with no audio though SCART.
Didn't have these problems some times ago on my Sony PVM, I'd like to understand if meantime my CMVS has broken, or if it's a TV - cable related problems (tested two SCART cables with no difference atm).

Thank you for all your support