Difference between Euro/USA AES bios?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm not looking for advice to just get a unibios.

My curiosity is what are the main differences between the bios on the english pal home consoles and USA?

I know I put an official Euro bios in my MVS many many years ago because it offered both English and some boob bounce not in the USA bios. Also Bust a Move is called Puzzle Bobble instead of Bust A Move.

I really can't recall the main reason, but the Euro bios was definitely superior to the USA bios at least in the MVS world. Are tge differences the same for AES?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
green blood instead of white in Metal Slug
edit: duh USA was white not red

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
what is a good game to test this on? I don't have the various AES bios, but I do have a NGCD with JP/USA/Euro that I can see if there are any differences.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I asked Xian Xi this and he claims there is no Euro AES BIOS. There is only Japanese and "English". The chips are labeled NEO-P0 and NEO-EP0, respectively.

MVS has three regions though, multiple revisions of each.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
[SUP][/SUP]
I asked Xian Xi this and he claims there is no Euro AES BIOS. There is only Japanese and "English". The chips are labeled NEO-P0 and NEO-EP0, respectively.

I tracked down a pal 50hz console and you're absolutely correct, censored NEO-EPO.

That sucks, Euro MVS bios is the only way to go besides unibios. English, tittayz, win & good.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Euro vs US also effects how the coin input process works. If in US you need to have a 2nd coin slot for 2player to get credits unless you use the service button. Euro is a shared credit system iirc.

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet

So Fighters History Dynamite and Dunk Dreams will not display as Karnov's Revenge and Street Hoops on a Euro AES only on MVS?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
So Fighters History Dynamite and Dunk Dreams will not display as Karnov's Revenge and Street Hoops on a Euro AES only on MVS?

I had 2 Euro AES's. It displayed Karnov's Revenge and Street Hoop normally.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Shouldn't Street Hoop display as Street Slam on a PAL Neo Geo as shown on system16? I had this game back in the days together with a PAL Neo and I'm fairly certain it displayed Street Slam.

But apart from Street Hoop I can't recall a game at the moment having three revisions, one for each region.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There is only Japanese and "English". The chips are labeled NEO-P0 and NEO-EP0, respectively.

So how is it possible, that there are still differences between those "English" BIOS chips? Street Slam is called Street Hoop in US and teams represent cities (US), instead of countries (Euro) and Sonic Wings 3 is nearly unplayable with the European BIOS -- due to a glitch, it always ramps up the difficulty to the highest level.

Both, the Euro & the US BIOS, suck beyond belief while playing MDIII & Matrimelee. The changes actually destroy both games completely.

Edit: Here's proof to sk's assumption: http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/neo-reviews/streethoop/streethoop.html

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Shouldn't Street Hoop display as Street Slam on a PAL Neo Geo as shown on system16? I had this game back in the days together with a PAL Neo and I'm fairly certain it displayed Street Slam.

But apart from Street Hoop I can't recall a game at the moment having three revisions, one for each region.

To be honest, I don't remember anymore about that one.

But Karnov appeared as Karnov afaik.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
There are many bugs & glitches actually. (mostly just due to simple oversights made during programming) Street Slam was originally intended to be the USA name of the game. (with Dunk Dream as Japan & Street Hoop as Europe) All 4 of the original Data East releases had alternate title screens. Same thing with Bust a Move / Puzzle Bobble.

Neo Bomberman defaults to Spanish text, Ironclad has dim mode active, etc. The other issues have to go with the "3rd region" originally being "euro-Asia" but then Asia getting its own on MVS. (not to mention the "4th region" of Korea. SNK never really thought it all through and so errors were made in the confusion.

As an example, you can have a USA home system, plug in bust a move, and it comes up as puzzle bobble. Yet when you use a debug / unibios, and put it in "USA home" it comes up correctly as Bust A Move. So something is off. Whatever flags are used for the process don't function correctly.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

So how is it possible, that there are still differences between those "English" BIOS chips? Street Slam is called Street Hoop in US and teams represent cities (US), instead of countries (Euro) and Sonic Wings 3 is nearly unplayable with the European BIOS -- due to a glitch, it always ramps up the difficulty to the highest level.

Both, the Euro & the US BIOS, suck beyond belief while playing MDIII & Matrimelee. The changes actually destroy both games completely.

Edit: Here's proof to sk's assumption: http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/neo-reviews/streethoop/streethoop.html

The "English" AES BIOS, NEO-EP0, acts like a Spanish MVS BIOS. For example, Puzzle Bobble will play as English PB in an English AES, rather than Bust-A-Move.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I would suspect it has to do with the US MVS BIOS always triggering those warning screens "winners don't do drugs" and what not. The Euro/Spanish MVS BIOS is more neutral, better for arcade at home.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
People are forgetting that games are made on MVS before AES. MVS has many bios regions from USA, Euro, JP, Pacific, Asia maybe some others. It would be interesting to find more AES bios variants.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
People are forgetting that games are made on MVS before AES. MVS has many bios regions from USA, Euro, JP, Pacific, Asia maybe some others. It would be interesting to find more AES bios variants.

True. We know for a fact there is a Korean home system bios because the system has special markings and the display of blood is a no no over there. Also, my memory isn't so great, but I think the neo programmers manual makes mention of 6 possible variables for regions.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Sonic Wings 3 is nearly unplayable with the European BIOS -- due to a glitch, it always ramps up the difficulty to the highest level.

I never noticed as I only play on level 8.
Anything less than level 8 is for wusses. ;)

As for the NEO-EPO acting like a Euro Spanish bios, maybe for text defaults but there's definitely no mai boob bounce on the AES vs Arcade bios.

Is it possible that there's multiple variations of the NEO-EPO?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this thread needs more Raz...